• Published 6th Dec 2013
  • 7,993 Views, 252 Comments

Princess Celestia The Changeling Queen: Stories Behind the Mask - vren55



These are short stories to the fic Princess Celestia: The Changeling Queen. They document the fun stuff, the struggles and the touching moments of a changeling queen in her most challenging impersonation ever.

  • ...
23
 252
 7,993

PreviousChapters Next
Alternia's Nightmare Night

Alternia's Nightmare Night

Author’s Note: Forgive me if I have some grammar errors. This is mainly venting/world building of Alternia’s world and I am in the middle of exams :P

Season 2 Just prior to the events of “Luna Eclipsed”

“LUNA!” I called as I ran down the staircase. My breath coming out in heaves, I tore past statues and down carpeted floors. Despite their best efforts, my poor guards were no match for my speed.

Finally, I skidded to a halt in front of the beautifully polished gothic chariot, its onyx frame glinting menacingly in the night. Honestly, I don’t understand why anypony would be scared of it. This would have perfectly suited me, if I hadn’t been wearing Celestia’s form.

“Sister, art thou alright? Why art thou in such a hurry?” roared Luna. I winced. Despite my attempts, Celestia’s sister never seemed to be able to lose the Royal Canterlot Voice. It was one of the reasons she didn’t attend the Grand Galloping Gala, she’d shatter the crystal glassware.

“Cloak... it’s cold... you’ll need it for your journey,” I panted breathlessly as I extended the thick hooded garment. With a grateful glance, Luna wrapped the cloak around herself.

“Thank you sister, it suits our needs perfectly.” I smiled, but frowned as Luna pawed the ground nervously, eyes averted.

“Art thou sure thou would not like to join us in the festivities?” I shook my head, leaning in close to Luna.

“Sister.” I paused. Luna wasn’t my sister, she was Celestia’s. Yet, in my own way I saw the alicorn as the little sister I had lost. It would not do for her to feel down on her night.

“Are you not the Princess of the Night?” I teased gently. Luna’s brow furrowed, but she couldn’t help, but chuckle. “This is your night, sister. Now go, be confident in yourself.” Gently, I guided the alicorn to her chariot, helping her get onto it. “If you do need help talking to other ponies, go to my student, Twilight Sparkle.”

“Dost thou really believe she will concede to aiding us?” asked Luna, eyes flickering uncertainly. I sighed. It would be some time until Luna would get over her guilt. I only hoped it would be before the true Celestia’s return.

“She was the only one who saw the signs of your return. She cleansed the darkness within you. She will help you, I have no doubt about that.” Luna smiled, comforted by my belief. After another brief hug, which I cherished, I nodded to the two thestrals attached to the chariot and they saluted in return, before flapping their wings.

“Have fun, sister!” I called as Luna’s chariot ascended into the sky.

“What is this fun thou speakest of?” yelled Luna, as her chariot disappeared into the night sky.

“Oh horseapples,” I groaned softly. Luna must have been so concentrated on learning about Equestrian relations, technology and systems of government she probably forgot to relax. I had to introduce her to some ways to have fun before the end of the week. Particularly the new interactive video games.

“Princess!” I spun around, to find Captain Shining Armor and the rest of my escort. The unicorn captain, although not having the stamina of an earth pony, was only sweaty. The rest of my guards though, were sprawled out on the courtyard.

“Please don’t leave us like that again!” panted Shining. Nodding, and apologizing to my captain, I headed back to my chambers. After dismissing my guards, I closed the doors and locked them.

“Philomena, are you ready?” I asked. My faithful phoenix pulled her head out from under her wing and cawed. I swore I saw her wink and knowing my pet, she probably did.

“Let’s get going.” Closing my eyes, I drew upon my reserves of magic. Slowly, a golden-green figure began to appear in the centre of my chamber. As it solidified, it took on Celestia’s features, her tri-colour mane and her ivory white coat. When the golden light finally faded, there was an exact copy of Princess Celestia, down to the golden apparel she wore.

“Pretend to be reading, or gorge on some cake. Don’t leave the room though,” said Alternia to the simulacrum because that was what it was. The simulacrum was detailed clone of magic that could follow simple orders, but was incapable of independent thought.

As the simulacrum picked up a book and ostensibly began to read, I went into my walk-in closet, shutting the door behind me. Temporarily hidden from Philomena, I tossed away my royal armor and drew upon my changeling magic. In a flash of green, I took on the shape of a charcoal-black unicorn. My magically methodically searched through the hangers and took out my costume.

“Just as planned!” I giggled in glee. Quickly using my magic, I teleported the clothes onto myself and showed myself out of the closet.

“What do you think, Philomena?” I asked. My pet cawed in approval as I examined my disguise on the mirror mounted on the door of my closet. All I saw was a black furred unicorn mare with a turquoise-green mane. She wore a ragged black, hooded cloak with a golden skull-brooch. My head was crowned with a menacing spiked helmet. Underneath the cloak, I wore stygian black armour with steel-grey shoulder-guards, and a dull, but decorated sword from the Royal Armory hung at my side. The final piece in my costume were spiked horseshoes. I was the picture of a queen of death.

“Philomena, hurry up, we don’t have much time before Luna returns!” I yelled trotting out onto the balcony. My phoenix squawked good naturedly landed on the balcony floor. Carefully, I surrounded her with the glow of my magic and she began to change. Philomena grew in size and stature, her plumage darkened and began to be replaced by smooth grey skin. Her wings expanded and warped until they turned into massive bat wings. The phoenix’s graceful head was replaced by a maw of teeth. Deftly, I fastened the saddle we had used on so many occasions onto my disguised pet and mounted.

I coughed several times, trying to find the tone I needed. Finally, I pitched my voice into a high, eerie ras and spoke to the night. “I am the Witch Queen of Angmare. Do not come between a Naz’gul and her candy!” Philomena let out an ear-piercing screech that making me flatten my ears and grin evilly at the same time. Flapping her wings, we launched into the cool evening air.

Canterlot...

Nightmare Night in Canterlot is one of the grandest holidays in Equestria. Oddly enough, on this night of fear, there is a lot of love to be collected.

With a terrifying roar that sent young fillies and colts scurrying for cover as I and Philomena passed over the city square. Tucking in her wings, my phoenix in disguise landed in the middle of the city square in the only clear space amidst hundreds of booths.

“Greetings everypony! Black Captain has returned!” I rasped. After their initial shock, the older ponies chuckled or waved their hooves in greeting. It was not the first time I had donned this disguise and its name to join the festivities. The ponies had quickly become accustomed to my annual attendance at the event, even with my entrance.
“Black Captain, did you have to do that?” groaned one of the ponies in the crowd. Inwardly I chuckled as colts and fillies, seeing the lack of fear in their elders, began to crawl out from under stalls.

“Yeessss,” I said, drawing the answer out as long as possible, drawing a couple of chuckles from the adults.

“Go easy on Black Captain, Jet Set, it’s all in good fun.” said a voice. Blinking through my helmet I saw Fancy Pants and Fleur de Lis approach. He had abandoned his customary suit for a pirate’s costume, complete with a roguish gold tooth. Fleur de Lis was a mermaid, her false tail trailing behind her as trotted beside her beloved.

“How are you doing Fancy and Fleur?” I asked.

“It’s Captain Fancy Pants. Arrgh!” said Fancy Pants.

“Oh shush. We are well, Black Captain,” replied Fleur. I chuckled
.
“Then may you continue to have fun on this night of nights. Now lead me to the children! Philomena must feast on them!” I roared.

“Who’s Philomena?” asked an inquisitive foal. Glancing at the large group of foals in their multi-colored costumes watching me warily, but mostly with expressions of curiosity, I realized my mistake. With a groan, I facehoofed and my steel horseshoes clanked comedically against my helmet.

“The name of my Fel Beast, but that’s beside the point! I am coming for you little ponies!” I jumped off Philomena, drew my sword with my magic and marched menacingly toward them, raising my hooves up and down like a giant, but only taking little steps.

“RUN BEFORE SHE EATS US!!!” The foals ran, screaming as I chased them down the square. I noticed some of the parents sigh at my antics, others chuckle, or outright giggle, as I tromped down the street after the children.
Suddenly, one of the foals, dressed in a frilly Princess costume, got too tired and tripped sprawling on the ground. I was beside her in an instant, checking for injuries. Nothing seemed wrong though, and as she squealed in fear.

I took off my helmet. “MUAHAHAHAHA time to eat you up! Nom, nom, nom, nom!” While making the noises I pretended to eat the foal, opening and closing my mouth in front of her. The foal shut her eyes, but after realizing she wasn’t in any danger, she started to giggle at my play-acting. After a second, I stopped and set the filly down on her feet.

“Too thin, you have to fatten up. Here you go!” Drawing out a chocolate bar from the folds of my costume I dropped it into the little filly’s candy bag and patted her head. The filly grinned, and I felt refreshed as I felt her happiness flow into me.

“Thank you! Happy Nightmare Night!” laughed the filly before she scampered away. With a grin, I waved the little foal off to her parents. Then, donned my helmet and went searching for the rest of the foals.

I continued to wander around the carnival, chasing after the foals. The ones I captured I would pretend to eat and give them a treat. The foals that escaped my grasp, I tossed candies to as a reward for ‘escaping’ my clutches. All the while, I felt the love and appreciation they gave me as I handed out treats. Meanwhile, children were having fun, getting candy from willing hooves under the parents watchful eyes. The stalls for games and treats were filled with lineups from willing ponies. Everything was perfect.

I shook my head, silently berating myself. I forced my eyes to pick through my surroundings as I trotted through Canterlot’s streets. There is another, less ‘fun’ reason I attended Nightmare Night in Canterlot.

Rounding the corner, I saw two stallions cornering a pair of mares in an alley, who were obviously uncomfortable with the stallions. One of them, a white coated unicorn with red eyes and electric blue hair, positioned herself in front of her grey coated, pink-eyed, earth pony companion.

“Hey pretty ladies, want me to make your dreams come true?” asked one of the stallions, stepping close up to the mare.
“Want me to make your nightmares a reality?” I hissed. Everypony stared at the black cloaked, armored pony wielding a sword with wide eyes. Pointing my sword at the two stallions, I growled, and the stallions bolted like the cowards they were. The mares stared at me fearfully, but relaxed as I took off my helmet, revealing my smiling face.

“Be careful where you walk. The streets are usually safe in Canterlot, but you can never be too careful.” I turned to go, but felt a tug on my tail.

“Beg your pardon miss, I’m Vinyl, and this is my friend Tavi. We’re trying to find some foals of our friends that went missing. Can lend us a hoof?” asked the unicorn. She tried to appear casual, but I could hear the worry behind her voice. Her friend, the earth pony was trembling and made no effort to conceal it.

For some reason though, their names appeared familiar to me, but I ignored it, my thoughts on the missing foals.
“Of course I’ll help. Have you alerted the guard yet?” I asked.

“We have, but it’s been more than an hour and they haven’t even been sighted,” added Tavi.

“Take me to where they were last seen, and ask them if they have anything that belonged to the children. Quickly, we have no time.”


I winced as I saw Jet Set and Upper Crust crying into each other’s shoulders. I knew they were spoilt, upper-class braggarts, who were occasionally insufferable, but they were truly loving parents. The fact they were crying so unabashedly, ruining their Saddle Arabian costumes was proof of their grief. I knew that right now, every second must be excruciating for them.

We were at one of the many parks within Canterlot. It was surrounded by police ponies combing the scene for clues as well as detectives.

“So they were last seen here?” I inquired. Vinyl nodded. Taking a deep breath, I approached the sobbing couple.
“Jet Set, Upper Crust, do you have anything of your foals for me to perform a tracking spell?” I inquired. The unicorn pair looked up, the tears in their eyes piercing my heart.

“We already gave the police their childhood toys, but the spells aren’t working. How could you do anything better, Black Captain?” sobbed Upper Crust. That little tidbit of information made me raise an eyebrow and turn to Inspector Le Strade.

“What does she mean by not working?” I demanded.

Le Strade, his mustache twitching, glared at me. “I’m not at liberty to tell you miss.”

I snarled. “You. Will. Tell. Me!” I ordered, the sibilant lisp of the Witch Queen of Angmar forgotten, I punctuated every word with all of my authority and power as Princess of Equestria. Le Strade stuttered and swayed, but steadied himself and met my gaze.

“For the safety of the investigation, and as decreed by the laws set forth by Princess Celestia, I cannot tell you our findings. I’m sorry m’am,” said the inspector, almost apologetically. I slapped my hoof to my face, groaning. Oh why did I always seem to trip myself up at the worst possible moments?

“Philomena!” I ordered. My phoenix, still in the guise of a Naz’Gul swooped down, startling all the ponies. My horn glowing, I turned her back into a phoenix and undid my own disguise, expanding my costume to make it fit. In moments, my vision cleared and I found everypony lying on the ground, prostrated at me.

“Your Highness! I’m sorry, I didn’t know it was—”

“That was the point Le Strade. Now bring me the children’s toys,” I ordered. An intelligent police pony brought up a small blue tank engine with red stripes, and a teddy bear in corduroy overalls. Focusing on the two toys, I began to weave together the spell. I put into it the happiness I had seen today, the gratitude I had received, laughter at the wonders of the fair, all the fresh emotions and love for Nightmare Night that I had collected, I used to weave the spell together.
Out shot a beam of green light from the bear and a lance of blue light from the train. The two rays soared into the sky like fireworks, but then halted above the park. Combining together, they turned into a large arrow pointing towards—

The castle! Of course! The anti-perception wards on it would at least partially disrupt all but the most advanced tracking spells! I realized as our group of ponies galloped toward the main castle of Canterlot. The arrow continued to float above us, the flaming form of Philomena close behind it. Guided by the light provided by the spell and phoenix, we charged into the castle proper, following the arrow. It finally stopped, pointing to a balcony high above us.

“How did they get up there?” wondered Octavia.

“How did they get to my chambers?” I gasped. Everypony stared at me, but I was as confused as the rest of them. Slowly, we traipsed our way upstairs and to my chambers.

As I arrived at the corridor leading to my chambers entrance, I noticed the doors were no longer on their hinges. They had been blasted open, warding spells ripped from the wood that was now black as my cloak. My heart filling with dread, I drew the blunt, costume sword of the Witch Queen of Angmar and held it at the ready. It would be better than nothing. Beside me my companions readied themselves. Jet Set had taken up a brass candelabra his wife, Upper Crust, levitated a very sharp hairpin. Vinyl seized one of the blackened pieces of wood, while Octavia gulped and grabbed the remains of the brass doorknob. Le Strade took out his enchanted police baton and Philomena hovered cautiously at my shoulder. Slowly, we trotted forward into the chamber.

I saw the two foals, soundly sleeping in my bed. Luna was humming a lullaby softly to them. I dropped my sword, letting it clatter onto the carpet, which caused Luna to jump and spin around. She recognized me drawing her hoof across her mouth like a zipper.

“Quiet, sister! On our way back from Ponyville, we came across two foals lost in the city and took them back to the castle while our Lunar Guard searched for their parents. When we knocked on the door for advice, thou would not open the door to us and we had to forcibly open it, only to find a simulacrum. The foals began to cry, so we read a story to them and put them to sleep. Where wert thou this evening?” demanded Luna, softly. I wasn’t sure whether I should be surprised that Luna for once, was more quiet than myself or that the foals had been found by her. So I remained slack-jawed, Philomena perched on my shoulder, churring softly. Meanwhile, Jet Set and Upper Crust had crept up to their children, and had gently levitated them onto their backs. After curtseying and bowing to me and Luna, they quietly left, taking their children back home with them.

“I was helping their parents search for their foals along with Inspector Le Strade, Vinyl and Tavi,” I explained, finally having gotten over my surprise.

Luna frowned, eyes looking up and down, examining my costume. However, to my luck, her attention was distracted when she glanced at my companions and gasped. “Art thou not DJPON3 of Everfree Radio and Maestro Octavia of the Canterlot Philharmonic Orchestra?” I stared at the two ponies, and realized where I had seen them before. It should have been obvious, but I had been so concerned about the foals. Not to mention Vinyl wasn’t wearing her glasses and Octavia didn’t have her bow tie

“Yes, your majesty,” said Octavia, bowing politely, and pushing Vinyl down as well.

“We wish to ask thee and Vinyl to introduce us to some of the music that is popular with ponies of this time. How may we contact thee to schedule an appointment?” asked Luna. Vinyl and Octavia’s eyes widened considerably.
“Well, perhaps if you have time princess, we can arrange that now?” asked Vinyl, hesitantly.

“Perfect, perhaps we shall visit Donut Joe’s shop. My sister gorges herself at that place.” I was about to retort, when Luna then turned her unamused gaze on me. Despite myself, I shivered uncomfortably her dark blue stare.

“Thank you, sister for this Nightmare Night,” said Luna, breaking the silence. I gawked as the alicorn bursting into the widest smile. After hugging me, Luna trotted off, gesturing Octavia and Luna to follow her.

“But mark my words, we will talk about your activities, later,” warned Luna. I resisted the urge to sigh, but I knew that Luna could learn the truth about my Nightmare Night activities. Not the whole truth though.

Shaking my head, I turned to the only pony left. “Inspector Le Strade.” The police inspector glanced up nervously.
“Good work. You may return home to your family,” I said with a smile. Gratefully, Le Strade quickly left.

Finally left alone, I cast a spell to repair the doors and restore some of the privacy wards on them. With that done, I took off my enlarged, Witch Queen of Angmar costume, trotted wearily into the shower. After I had cleaned up and brushed my teeth, I trotted to my bed, changed the sheets quickly, and flopped down into the mattress.

“Happy Nightmare Night, Philomena,” I whispered. The last thing I heard before I fell asleep was the answering squawk of my pet.


Philomena smiled, as her mistress settled into comforting sleep. Flying onto the bed, she gently pulled the covers over the sleeping figure. With a final caw showing her satisfaction, she leapt into the special fire-proof nest that was her bed, tucked her head into her wings, and let sleep claim her as well.

Silly changeling, I should let her know that she need not disguise herself in front of me. The phoenix thought before she joined her mistress in the world of dreams.

Author’s final note: Hope you enjoyed that. Chapter 13 is in progress, will be out sooner or later before Season 4 starts for sure.
Lots of references in this one, obscure and not: Witch Queen of Angmare aka Black Captain = Witch King of Angmar from Lord of the Rings.
Le Strade = Inspector Lestrade from Sherlock Holmes
Small blue tank engine with red stripes = Thomas the Tank Engine
Teddy bear in corduroy overalls = Corduroy (from children’s book about the bear)

PreviousChapters Next