• Published 15th Oct 2011
  • 8,850 Views, 587 Comments

Sketchy Salad Symphony - Sketchy Sounds



This is a tale of who we are, and how we got here.

  • ...
13
 587
 8,850

Intermezzo Undicesimo

“Step forward, cadet.”
The trainee soldier does as asked, proudly. She stands with her head held high, her gaze fixed forward. Her expression is neutral, displaying naught but focused attentiveness to her surroundings.
“We’ve reviewed your final assessment.”
A simple nod of reply.
“Present yourself, please!”
She responds without hesitation; standing tall with wings outstretched and flared, her tail held straight and her ears pricked up. With a front hoof raised slightly, she cuts a dashing figure. The stance is nothing new to her, as she and her fellow cadets have been trained to adopt this pose on command for inspection by their training officers. However, it would be untrue to say she is not without a feeling of anticipation within her breast.
The doors to the room where she stands are opened, and a tall and majestic figure approaches. She is all at once as dazzling and beautiful as the sun, and yet as warm and welcoming as a soft summer afternoon. Her expression is a mix of maternal pride and regal authority, as she approaches the pegasus on display.
“I know about your exploits, dear. I’m very proud to see you standing here today.”
In spite of the training and her disciplined nature, the pegasus can’t help but smile.
“And hence, it gives me greater pleasure still to tell you, today it has paid off. I hereby decree that from this day, you are a cadet no longer. Today I number you among the ranks of my Guards.”
A gentle tingling surrounds the pegasus’s body - a warm golden light, conforming to her shape, brought on by the royal figure before her. Before long, it has condensed from a golden light into a fine golden adornment of armour plate.
There is no long-winded or solemn speech from the new knight of the realm. She simply bows her head toward the monarch in gratitude, restricting her words of acceptance to a brief three words.
For both herself and her sovereign, it is all that is needed.