• Published 6th Dec 2013
  • 7,071 Views, 484 Comments

Vinyl and Octavia: Ponyville Duet - generalsnaz



After seeing an astounding performance by the charismatic Vinyl Scratch at the royal wedding, Octavia Melody travels to Ponyville to learn more about the DJ and her music. However Octavia ends up starting a life and a relationship she never expected.

  • ...
12
 484
 7,071

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 23: Honesty

Chapter 23: Honesty

Vinyl was having a pleasant dream:

----{{{{Flying yeti with dragon wings pulled a chariot through the sky with Vinyl riding in it. She was kicked back, relaxed and sipping soda from a bottle that kept refilling itself. The sun was a stereo that was playing all the newest and coolest tracks. The mountain in the distance was carved to look like Octavia, but there were hundreds of fire-breathing pigeons loitering all over it! Vinyl had to take action! She leaped through the air, did several amazing somersaults and landed at the summit of Mt. Octavia with a ninja headband now on her head. She pulled out a large vinyl record, jumped on it like a snowboard and rode it down the cliff-side. The record spun and began playing the best song in the universe. As it spun, blades made of chainsaws popped out the sides. Vinyl maneuvered the record board to collide with the pigeons, cutting them in half! But instead of blood, gore and guts, the pigeons exploded into money as they died! Pinkie came soaring down alongside Vinyl, surfing a flying guitar and playing another guitar as Vinyl slayed the pigeons! It was extremely awesome!}}}}----

"Vinyl! Wake up! I have something important to tell you!" Octavia said gleefully as she shook Vinyl, breaking her away from the pleasant and radical slumber.

"Ah---, buck, wha'!?" Vinyl murmured sleepily as she awoke. "Octavia, whazz going on?" The cellist was above her, on the bed, almost pinning her down. (It was a nice view to wake up to.)

"Vinyl, it's so important! I can't believe it! I need to tell you about- ...about- ...about..." Octavia started excitedly before slowing to a halt. Her poorly lit expression changed to worry as she hesitated.

"About what?" Vinyl questioned as she yawned.

"About the... ... immune system...?" Octavia said slowly, making up a topic. "...It's fantastic. It really is. Have I told you about it?"

"... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...Filly, WHAT!?!?" Vinyl exclaimed at the randomness.

"Ah, I guess I have! Very well! Goodnight then!" Octavia spouted nervously as she slid off of Vinyl and back to her side of the small bed.

"Goodnight!? It's already the middle of the night!" Vinyl complained bitterly.

"Well then, we had better get some sleep!" Octavia replied promptly, wrapping herself in covers and facing away from Vinyl.

"Ugh... alright, whatever," Vinyl moaned as she rubbed her face. 'I want to finish that dream!' she thought miserably.

Octavia was thinking something else. 'Oh dear, how do I tell Vinyl?'

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~:heart:~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Octavia paced in circles on the dirt and grass streets of Ponyville, biting her hoof nervously. 'Gah! It was so easy to tell Twilight! I just blurted it out! Why is it suddenly more difficult to tell Vinyl?' Octavia thought. It was late morning and she had fumbled through breakfast with Vinyl, missing several opportunities to admit her feelings. They even went to the record store, which would have been the perfect place for her to confess, since that is where Vinyl confessed, but noooo. Octavia was too chicken. 'Why is this so hard? This is nothing but good news! This is great news! I am not hesitating about how I feel, but... I cannot bring myself to say it aloud, because... well, because...' Octavia stopped pacing and buried her face in her hooves and shouted into their muffling comfort, "Love is just soooooo embarrassing!!!"

There was an "Eep!" that Octavia noticed and she turned to see that she had startled Fluttershy with her sudden outburst. The yellow pegasus had been walking nearby with a basket of baby ducks in her teeth (well, before she dropped them.) With the basket fallen to the ground, the ducklings began to scatter away from Fluttershy. "Oh, no!" Fluttershy cried in a panic. "Don't wander! You'll get lost!"

"Oh, goodness! Let me help!" Octavia exclaimed as she galloped over to help Fluttershy corral the tiny birds. The little ducks were quick, but they also stopped and started enough for Octavia to catch a few. Between her and Fluttershy they rounded them up safely. (+5 friendship points for Octavia.) When the ducklings were returned, they all chirped in approval from inside their basket. "They're so cute!" Octavia exclaimed as she put her muzzle down to one of the ducks who pecked a little kiss on the tip of her nose. :heart:

"Oh, thank you," Fluttershy said, addressing Octavia. She motioned down to the ducklings, "They were just so excited to move to Ponyville. I promised their parents I'd get them back safe and sound after a sightseeing tour of the town. It would have been just awful if they had gotten lost!"

'Eh? A sightseeing tour, for ducks?' Octavia thought quizzically for a moment, but didn't linger on it. "Ah, well you are very welcome. I am sorry I startled you so much you dropped them," Octavia tittered a little sheepishly.

"Hm? I dropped them because I stepped on a tack," Fluttershy stated as she lifted her hoof to show Octavia. Indeed, there was a tiny nail sticking out of her hoof. (Ow.)

"Oh! How presumptuous of me!" Octavia exclaimed at the realization. Fluttershy bit the tack and pulled it loose with a tiny Eek! as Octavia continued, "I assumed you were startled because I was shouting something embarrassing. Ha ha. How silly of me."

"You were? What were you shouting?" Fluttershy asked without hesitation after she spit the tack out.

"Um-! Something... ...embarrassing?" Octavia repeated, blushing up.

"...Oh, I see!" Fluttershy realized, turning red as well. "If it was embarrassing, then you wouldn't want to say it again... Of course." She began backing up nervously.

"Right, heh heh," Octavia laughed a little. Octavia had learned that Fluttershy was one of Twilight Sparkle's inner circle of friends during her stay in Ponyville. But Octavia hadn't spoken to her before aside from the first time she needed directions to the town's library and totally embarrassed herself. (This situation wasn't looking any better, either.) Fluttershy was one of the special ponies who had achieved incredible feats, (despite how much she didn't look like she could.) Knowing this, Octavia wondered if she might help with her problem. It stands to reason, since Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity and Princess Luna had all offered up their own advice before, Fluttershy would surely do the same. 'Well, it couldn't hurt to ask...' Octavia decided. "*Ahem* By the way, Miss Fluttershy, I was wondering if you might assist me with something," Octavia said, blatantly holding up a hoof in gesture.

"W-who? Me?" Fluttershy asked, looking around for some other pony who might take responsibility. "Well, I suppose, I mean, I could. I'm not sure I would be that helpful, though. I mean, it's not that I don't want to, it's that I'm not that good at most things. I can still try, if that's okay." Fluttershy was backing up slowly, holding her basket of ducklings. "I have to get these little guys home first, if that's okay. I did make a promise, after all. It's not that I don't want to help. It's not that at all."

Octavia slowly lowered her hoof as Fluttershy continued to sputter. 'Perhaps Fluttershy is not the pony I need to talk to right now...' Octavia thought. "That's- that's okay." Octavia said, retracting her question. "I can see that you are quite busy. I wouldn't want to bother you. Um, perhaps you could simply give me some directions instead?"

Fluttershy perked up and said, "Oh! I could probably do that."

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~:heart:~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

The road to Sweet Apple Acres was plain path dotted with a few bushes. Just an old dirt road. (The oldest road in Ponyville, to be precise.) Octavia was accustomed to dirt now, though she had to clean her hooves more vigorously than when she lived in Canterlot after a walk. The path was lined with a white picket fence that, by normal accounts, should have been rickety and aged based on the location, but it was surprisingly well kept. Behind the fence's fresh coat of paint were fields of apple trees. They were well trimmed and all full of savory apples, waiting patiently to be picked. Octavia trotted along this path, admiring the scenery. She hadn't been this far out of Ponyville proper before, and it was the first time Octavia had been surrounded by so much green.

Fluttershy had gladly pointed Octavia to the home of Applejack, the one pony Octavia figured would be able to give her normal, un-cryptic advice. She hadn't spoken to Applejack in a while either, so catching up couldn't hurt.

Octavia finally arrived at Sweet Apple Acres, Applejack's home, a little tired (it's quite the hike.) The vague idea of "farm" had always existed in Octavia's head, so nothing was too surprising about what she saw. Several large buildings that housed either animals or equipment dotted the area. There was a bustle of noise of those animals, various sounds littered the air from the pigs, chickens and sheep. Several stacks of hay were nearby, ready for a needle to be dropped in them at a moment's notice. Octavia passed under an arc with a wooden sign of an apple carved on it and stepped onto the property. As she did, a small white and brown dog came running up to Octavia.

The dog barked and wagged its tail upon meeting the stranger. "Aw!" Octavia swooned as she carefully raised her hoof for the dog. "Don't bite me please," Octavia joked as the dog sniffed her hoof. Satisfied, the dog ran off. Octavia looked around, but didn't see Applejack or any of the family she heard lived there. She came up to the old house that also looked like it had been covered with a fresh coat of paint recently as well. After she knocked, an old green pony mare came to the door, silver strands of hair sticking up from her white mane. 'Oh, what was her name again? 'Gravy Smitts?' I think Miss Pinkie called her...' Octavia thought, desperately trying to recall that time Pinkie Pie listed every pony who has ever lived in Ponyville to her.

"Whatzat? Who's there?" the old pony (who's real name was Granny Smith) asked, squinting. "Yer not lil' Babs Seed!"

"Um, no. Good morning, Miss Smitts. My name is Octavia-"

"Oh! What's a pretty young thang like you doin' here?" Granny Smith interrupted before Octavia could explain. "Yer 'ere ta court my grandson, Big Mac, aren't ya?" she accused, slyly nudging Octavia like they were friends already.

"What? No!" Octavia gasped, a little repulsed.

"Well, shoot! Dang shame! That boy could use the company of a young lady! He spends too much time playin' that Ogres & Oublibobs thingymajig. Needs ta socialize, I swear. Murrgin figgle. " Granny mumbled incoherently to herself before asking, "Whatchu want then?"

"If I could speak with Applejack...?" Octavia started.

"If you could what now?" Granny asked.

"...If I could speak with Applejack?" Octavia repeated.

Granny stared at her for a couple moments. "Well, what'll happen if you could speak to her? I need to know, you've gotten me all excited!"

"What? No- I? ...Allow me to rephrase: May I please speak to Applejack?"

"Oh, sure. She's out back choppin' wood. Now if'n you'll excuse me, we're expectin' some other company and I'm makin' my special Granny Smith's Special Secret Apple Cobbler! Or G.S.S.S.A.C. fer short!" Granny hooted and hollered as she returned inside and shut the door behind her.

Octavia just giggled and shook her head. This was not the strangest pony she had met in Ponyville. (Not by a long shot.) She headed around to the back side of the house. The little dog returned, happily meeting her halfway, and accompanied her to the spot where Applejack was. A definitive kathunk sound rattled the air as Octavia approached. The orange farm pony split a log clean in two with an axe gripped tightly in her teeth.

"Hello, Applejack!" Octavia said as she came up to her, admiring the clean cut of the log.

"Oh, howdy, Awktavia!" Applejack greeted, her accent deforming Octavia's name. She took off her hat to fan herself from the heat. She was dripping wet with sweat and propping herself up with the axe. The dog circled her several times barking before bolting off again. "What brings you to the farm?"

"I simply wanted to visit, and 'catch up,' as they say," Octavia explained. "...Would you like some help?" she asked, pointing to all the un-split logs Applejack still had left.

"Well, that's mighty kind of ya," Applejack said, amused. "Didn't think farm work was yer thing."

"Well, I have never tried it," Octavia admitted. "But I have watched theatre productions of settler ponies chopping wood. I suppose I understand the concept, and I would love to help!" Having learnt a lesson about doing things for her friends several chapters ago, Octavia was more open to help out than she would have been normally. (+3 friendship points.)

"Hoo-boy are you in fer a surprise," Applejack grinned. She handed the axe to Octavia. "Here: give this a whirl."

"Rike riss?" Octavia mumbled as she gripped the axe's handle in her teeth. It was heavier than she was expecting, and she had to strain her neck to keep from toppling over.

Applejack smirked as she watched Octavia struggle. "Just stay like that for a sec," she instructed as she hoisted another log up and set it upright on the stump. "Now line up the axe..." Applejack said as she carefully took control of Octavia's head and the axe and guided them to their mark. "Now lift it straight up... that's right. Now, bring it down as hard as ya can!"

Octavia grunted as she tried to bring the axe down, completely missing the log and landing on the stump. The impact rattled her teeth and brain so she let go of the handle immediately. She shook her head and yelped.

"Phaahaa!" Applejack burst.

"I came straight down! The log moved! I swear!" Octavia cried out in embarrassment, holding her aching teeth.

"Don't fret, I couldn't hit it back when I started either," Applejack assured, grinning stupidly. "'Course, that was when I was jus' a filly."

"I- I will get it!" Octavia protested, huffing. She struggled a little to get the axe out of the stump and set up for round two. This time as she brought the weapon down, it hit the log! But, instead of splitting it, the blade just got stuck partially in, and rattled the handle as it did before. Octavia had to let go again.

"Ha-haa! You call yerself an Earth Pony!?" Applejack laughed. "You know we're supposed to be the brawn of the three pony types, right?"

"Well, at least I tried!" Octavia pouted, a few petty tears forming in her eyes.

"I know you did, sugarcube," Applejack assured as she comforted Octavia with a hoof around the shoulder. "I appreciate the thought, but maybe you should leave the choppin' to me."

"Is... there anything else I could do to help?" Octavia asked, ashamed.

"Uh, well, I'm sure we can find sumthin' fer ya to do," Applejack mused. In the end, Octavia helped Applejack by setting the logs up for her and helping stack the chopped ones neatly in a pile. Octavia was exhausted; the farm pony made flinging chunks of wood around look easy, but they were heavy things. "Thanks fer the help, Awktavia," Applejack said when they were finished. Octavia was breathing too heavily to muster a response. "Come on in, and we'll have some lemonade or sumthin'." Applejack motioned to her to follow as they went to the barn. Inside the barn there was a large contraption. A flat wooden base was being held up by three wooden wheels. Some complicated steering mechanics were stationed at the head of the vehicle. Construction of a wooden shell to cover the interior had begun. A few curved planks were sticking up, indicating the size of the completed project would be massive; it already took up a large chunk of the space in the barn. A pile of wood planks, nails, hammers and paint among other things were resting beside it. Octavia stared at the thing as Applejack put the axe away on a rack of other tools.

"Oh, that's Applebloom and her friends' float," Applejack explained, after she noticed Octavia noticing the very noticeable vehicle. "Fer the Harvest Parade. She insisted that they make it themselves. And they're makin' it a pumpkin, instead of an apple! Can you imagine?"

"Harvest Parade?" Octavia questioned, once she had caught her breath, and brought her attention back to Applejack.

"Mmmhmm. In a few days. So what's new with you? Yer stickin' round Ponyville lot longer than I thought you would." Applejack pointed out.

"Oh, right. I have encountered some... unexpected developments that have prolonged my stay," Octavia began to explain as she fidgeted with her hooves.

"What kind of developments?" Applejack asked.

"Ah, right. Well, it is in relation to the reason for my visit," Octavia said, rubbing her legs nervously. 'Be strong Octavia and say it! Applejack is kind; she will help you without a doubt! You can do this! You can do this!' She continued, "I actually need to tell you something..."

"Really? Well, I'm all ears. Shoot," Applejack replied.

"You see, I have realized something about myself recently..." Octavia continued, trying to contain her jittery nerves. "Mind you, this is a brand new realization, as of last night even, but I am certain of it, so... well, I am just going to say it: I..." Bracing for impact, she shouted, "I'M GAY!" There was silence in that barn for a few very long moments, except for the distant clucking of some chickens. Though her eyes had widened, Applejack didn't move a single muscle after her mouth popped open slightly. She was frozen still for this duration, completely dumbfounded.

"... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... OKAY...!?!?!?" Applejack finally blurted out in exasperation, unaware of what exactly to say.

"Right, well..." Octavia continued as she fidgeted with her hooves some more. "I realized this after I fell in love with... a certain pony. You can imagine who, right...?" Octavia asked timidly, her eyes displaying more vulnerability and embarrassment than she intended. Her gaze caused Applejack to sweat again as she stepped closer to the farm pony. "I never thought I'd fall in love with her, but she has... stolen my heart, they might say."

"Oh... has she?" Applejack sputtered nervously as she took a step back when Octavia approached her.

"Yes! Her way of life is so different than my own, but it is exhilarating to experience it with her! Even if it's difficult!" Octavia stepped forward again, swept up in her emotions, and Applejack stepped back. "But I have been mulling over telling her. I really want her to know how I feel, so we can be in love together! Much a like a fantasy, I suppose," Octavia continued as she inched closer, blushing red and forcing Applejack to back up into the barn wall. "It makes sense, doesn't it? She's so special to me, so I want to be... closer to her! So... so... Applejack... please..."

"WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!" Applejack shouted once she had reached her limit. She took her hat off and covered her mouth with it as she shyly turned away from Octavia's desperate and amorous gaze. Breathing heavily she tried to sputter out a response, "Hold on a minute, now! This is all so sudden! I mean, it's not like I haven't thought about it before, sure... But- we- we barely know each other and- and-! Oh, it sure is temptin'... But what would Granny think? She's so old fashioned..."

"...I beg your pardon?" Octavia asked, backing off.

"Huh? Beg pardon?" Applejack echoed. They were silent for moments. Applejack squinted and instead asked, "Who's... this pony yer talkin' bout?"

"Vinyl, of course," Octavia admitted.

"... ...Oh. OOOOH! Hoo-whee! That makes sense! Fer a second there-" Applejack said joyously, fanning herself with her hat. "Ah, never you mind! So, yer uh... havin' trouble tellin' her, huh? Is that it?"

"I cannot seem to find the words every time I try! I am unsure what to say!" Octavia explained, melodramatically.

"Well, shoot! I ain't no expert on the matters of the heart, but I am probably the pony you need to talk to about bein' honest. Not to toot my own horn, or nuthin'," Applejack explained, putting her rustic brown hat back on.

"Yes! Yes, that is why I have come to you! Please, I could use your help!"

"Well, alright. Listen close: and I'll let you in on my full-proof trick." Applejack wrapped one hoof around Octavia, glanced around like she was expecting eavesdroppers and leaned in close. She whispered, "Here's whatcha do... ...Just tell her the truth."

"...What?" Octavia said, disappointed, after Applejack let her go. "...That is it?"

"Yep," Applejack replied simply.

"But- but- That's obvious!"

"Sure is."

"But- but- but-"

"Listen, sugarcube," Applejack explained. "It ain't like science or fancy math. There ain't no thinkin' involved here. As long as you know the truth, there ain't nuthin' to it. And it sounds like you do, so yer halfway there!"

"Yes, but- how should I tell her!?" Octavia protested.

"However you want."

"When should I tell her?"

"Whenever you want."

"What should I say?"

"If you want somepony to write you a speech to use or sumthin'," Applejack answered, "maybe you should talk to Twilight. If yer askin' me: you don't need to make this so complicated. Just open your mouth and whatever you need to say will come out. If you let it."

Octavia was stunned for a moment. Thinking about how stupidly simple this advice was, she smirked which then led to giggles. Applejack's straightforward solution cleared out the mess in Octavia's head. With clarity, she realized she never had a problem to begin with. Her overly critical thoughts just tripped her up, once again. If she had the determination to tell Vinyl the truth, it would happen. "Oh... Oh, dear. I was thinking far too much about this... wasn't I?"

"Probably. Now, let's get that lemonade," Applejack said cheerfully. "I'm plum parched."

"...Thank you, but- I'm going to go to find Vinyl and tell her right now!" Octavia exclaimed as she hopped over to Applejack and squeezed her tight. "Farewell, Applejack! Thank you!" she hollered as she galloped excitedly out of the barn, relieved of her worries.

"Okay! See ya 'round!" Applejack called back as she waved her hat in goodbye until Octavia was well gone, before collapsing on the hay-covered barn floor. She buried her face in her hat and mumbled, "Landsakes! That nearly gave me a heart attack..."

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~:heart:~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

"Vinyl!" Octavia called as she galloped up to her DJ friend. Vinyl was strolling down the road to Sweet Apple Acres when the two met. "What are you doing out here?"

"Lookin' for you, filly! Flutters said you came this way," Vinyl explained. Her voice, slightly raspy as always, complimented her cheerful demeanor.

Octavia quite nearly jumped on her to give a hug, but stopped when she noticed Vinyl's misshapen hair, strands of colorful paper stuck in it, and a long silky streamer hanging off her sunglasses. Pointing to the mess and smirking, Octavia asked, "Why is there confetti in your mane?"

"Huh? Oh!" Vinyl said, shaking her head to try to rattle loose the little bits. "Thought I got them all out! Pinks hit me in the face with her party cannon. She was all excited about the Summer Harvest Parade, so I think it was packed with more confetti than- *BLEGH!* *PATOOEY*!"

Octavia giggled as a singular piece of confetti floated onto Vinyl's tongue as she was talking. The unicorn spat it out in a most undignified manner. "That was most undignified," Octavia pointed out.

"What?" Vinyl responded, wiping her mouth.

Bursting with confidence, Octavia proposed, "Nothing! Come, walk with me Vinyl! Let us have an impromptu outing!"

"Huh? Okay, but I look like a mess," Vinyl pointed out as she ruffled her hair.

"Nonsense, you look beautiful!" Octavia swooned as she swiftly swooped in and interlocked her foreleg with Vinyl's.

"Aaaaagh!" Vinyl exclaimed at the unexpected forwardness. "Oh, um. Thanks!" Vinyl replied, nervousness bubbling up as Octavia pressed into her side. The contact sparked a pleasant reaction in Vinyl. They hadn't tried walking together like this before and Octavia took the first step. Vinyl pulled tight, holding Octavia's foreleg to her side and the cellist replied in kind. They traveled, three legs to a pony, fourth hooked together, for a distance in silence.

"Where shall we go?" Octavia asked as they approached the end of the dirt road and the beginning of Ponyville.

"Well, this was your idea. Where do you want to go?"

"Hmm... the park is always pleasant," Octavia offered. Vinyl agreed and they headed that direction. The DJ was expecting to see other ponies and was prepared to let go of Octavia's leg if they were spotted. It wasn't public knowledge they were dating, or that she was even gay. Vinyl felt there was no reason to share this around and she knew Octavia understood that and wouldn't be offended if they had to disengage. Luckily, it did not come to that. Ponyville Park was uncharacteristically empty. Out for summer, the commonly seen fillies and colts were elsewhere, working on their floats for the parade and every adult pony was either helping them or preparing for the festival in other ways.

Vinyl didn't mind doing this, even though it wasn't that appealing to her as an activity. The quiet stroll, the inner contemplation that comes with a lack of discussion, the pleasant feeling of being next to somepony you love. It was fine, but it was... so un-rad. But that's the kind of thing Octavia liked to do and Vinyl understood that. They were closer than ever before, but they still had their differences. Vinyl liked loud, energetic good times and Octavia preferred the finer things. Since the Canterlot pony was attempting to experience Vinyl's kind of life, Vinyl decided to at least do the bare minimum and try out Octavia's.

Despite her constant upbeat attitude, Vinyl was still holding onto doubts about Octavia. This... experiment Octavia was conducting. Dating Vinyl just because she wanted to make her happy... This "chance" she was given. How real was it? Could Octavia eventually fall in love with her, like she had hinted? Vinyl was overjoyed to have Octavia trying to be with her, (the kissing was a major perk) but could a straight pony really fall for the same sex? Vinyl thought about how unappealing stallions are to her and wondered what she would do if she were in Octavia's (horse)shoes. Trying to fall for a pony she had no desire for? There would have to be such a strong connection between them that it would overrule her natural instincts. Vinyl had once attempted to do the opposite, to not view Octavia with the desire in her heart. But it was monstrously more complicated for Octavia to act than for Vinyl to refrain.

While Vinyl was lost in thought, Octavia rested her head on Vinyl's shoulder. It was exactly what Vinyl wanted, yet she blushed and turned away. They began crossing a small wooden bridge in Ponyville Park. The shallow creek that ran underneath it shimmered in the summer sun and Vinyl caught a glimpse of her reflection. Then she noticed there was a streamer still hanging off her sunglasses.

"Octavia!" Vinyl said as she swatted the streamer loose! "Why didn't you tell me that was there!?"

"My own amusement," Octavia giggled.

"Eh, I'm still covered," Vinyl pouted as she looked over the reflection. "Hmmm..." she hummed to herself before she checked around for anypony else nearby. After confirming there were none, she hopped up onto the bridge railing.

"Vinyl?" Octavia questioned.

"Think I'll take a quick dip!" Vinyl exclaimed as she levitated her sunglasses off, set them on the railing and hopped into the stream! With a small splash, she collided with the water and, shortly, the muddy bottom. Octavia looked on in amazement as Vinyl grinned and dipped her mane in the water. The ripping waves weren't tall enough to even reach her knees, but Vinyl swished her head around to loose all the confetti. Flipping her mane up, she sighed, "Aw, that's better! Octavia you should-!" Before she could finish the thought, Octavia splashed down into the creek beside her. The displaced water splashed onto Vinyl ever so slightly. "Hey!"

"Heehee!" Octavia exclaimed after her leap. "That was most exhilarating! Although, I have a sinking feeling I will need to wash my hooves after this," Octavia mentioned as she noticed the mud.

"Filly, you'll need a whole bath!" Vinyl mentioned slyly as she bent down and scooped up as much water in her forelegs as she could hold and flung the miniature pond at Octavia. Not expecting the attack, Octavia took the full hit of the dirty water.

"Eek! What was that for!?" Octavia shrieked as she surveyed her now damp body over.

"For splashing me! It's called 'revenge!'" Vinyl taunted. She bent down and repeated the process, flinging more of the creek at Octavia.

"That was unnecessary! You have already retaliated once!" Octavia claimed, shielding herself from the splashes. Her efforts were futile, the attack soaked her anyway.

"That one was just for fun!" Vinyl beamed.

"Oh!" Octavia giggled and kicked some water at Vinyl. "En garde, then!"

Vinyl laughed as the water made contact with her. They were both wet now and the stream was greatly disturbed by their antics. The water surface rippled and waved at every step they took and assault they made. The two ponies laughed and played for a while. Attacking and dodging, they traveled downstream a ways during their battle. Vinyl smiled evilly as her horn glowed. She scooped up a large amount of water with her magic and carefully levitated it above Octavia.

"Unfair!" Octavia protested upon seeing the danger above her. "I have no magic to counter you!"

"Filly, they say all's fair in love and war!" Vinyl smirked cruelly (like she was the villain in this story.)

"So they do...!" Octavia replied slyly as she launched herself at Vinyl. Their bodies collided, to Vinyl's surprise. The impact cut Vinyl's magic off and released the tide of water. As Octavia lay triumphant on Vinyl in the creek, the glob fell upon them both, utterly soaking them. Stunned for a moment, they both began to laugh.

"Pffft! Haaahaaa!" Vinyl chortled.

"Heehee haa hee!" Octavia chuckled, trying to cover her mouth to salvage her normally sophisticated composure. She looked down at Vinyl, who was pinned below her. This was what life was. As Vinyl lay, water up to her ears, Octavia knew what she wanted to do. She didn't need to hesitate. She didn't need to think about it. She didn't need to fear she would regret it. She didn't need to worry, agonize about how this would look to her mother. This was what she wanted to do. This was what would finally make her happy.

And so she did it.

Octavia leaned down and kissed Vinyl, and she was aggressive. She let go of her inhibitions and let loose on Vinyl. Opening and closing her lips with haste and pressure, she moaned a little. Vinyl didn't take long to react; she reached up and wrapped her hooves around Octavia's head. Octavia did the same to Vinyl, plunging her trembling hooves into the water to clasp onto her lover's head. Vinyl's lips tasted different due to the presence of creek water, but Octavia didn't mind: she pushed in regardless. She had denied herself for so long, the liberation unleashed her passion onto Vinyl. Her hind legs buckled, and she let herself rest completely on Vinyl's form. (+25 friendship points.)

As for Vinyl, she returned the fervor in kind. She pulled Octavia down into her. Her ears were submerged in the stream that rippled as they moved together, so she could clearly hear her own grunts and puffs for air in the echo of the water. Octavia's soaked hair tumbled over and down onto Vinyl's face, gently touching it as Octavia waved to and fro. Octavia's body lay perfectly against her. Her body was hot, unlike the moderate temperature of the creek, as Vinyl's stammered breathing lifted it up and brought it down. Unhindered by Octavia's earlier rejection at this attempt, Vinyl slowly took her hoof down Octavia's back, caressing it until it came to her flank. It was there she pulled in, bringing Octavia's belly tight against hers.

Octavia squealed, but didn't stop kissing. Instead, she rolled. The two were now entwined, laying equally in the water, bodies lightly caked in mud. Neither minded the dirtiness, they were two enthralled in their passion. However, the sneaky water infiltrated their mouths as they opened. Before long, they had to succumb to their bodies demands that they cough up the liquid, interrupting their session. They both leaned up simultaneously and coughed away from their lover.

"*COUGH* Celestia! *COUGH*" Vinyl exclaimed as she spat.

"Goodness, *cough* *cough*" Octavia exclaimed as well. Her choking sounds were much daintier than Vinyl's. They both took a moment to catch their breaths because of the hacking and the intensity of their making out.

"Well, that was *cough* fun," Vinyl pointed out, grinning when she could.

"...It was. Wasn't it?" Octavia said, more to herself than to Vinyl. She closed her eyes and placed her hoof on her heart that kept pumping blood for her red cheeks. She had gone to Vinyl's lips with no remorse or regret. No struggling with an inner voice. And how had she come out of it? Completely satisfied. Denial was no longer an option. It was hardly even a concept anymore. Octavia leaned over and hugged Vinyl, who reciprocated. After a moment of squeezing she leaned back just enough to be able to whisper in Vinyl's ears. She spoke softly, sincerely. "I am so sorry Vinyl."

"Huh? ...What for?" Vinyl asked, almost as softly.

"I am so sorry I have deceived you for so long. I was deceiving myself, and because of that I was deceiving you..."

"...About what?" Vinyl asked. "...Are you not really from Canterlot?" She asked that last question with comic sincerity and impeccable timing. Octavia laughed and leaned back to face her lover. Vinyl was waiting patiently with eyebrows curved in concern. Her blazing red eyes looked forward, darting between places on Octavia's face. Her mane was soaked, it's normally vertical spikes were sunken low by the weight of the water.

"Vinyl, I'm gay. I am a lesbian," Octavia explained. She was smiling wildly as she said it, but holding back tears nonetheless. Vinyl's face became contorted with confusion, but Octavia didn't wait for her to interrupt or ask questions. "I have been all along. My whole life. I was just... so afraid of it. For a stupid reason. I see that now. You've given me love and attention and it's... freed me. Because of you I'm free to be the pony I always knew I was supposed to be. Thank you, Vinyl. I'm so sorry it took so long for me to reciprocate your affection... I'm so sorry I told you 'no.' I'm so sorry I made you wait. Vinyl... you are my best friend, my fillyfriend and I love you."

Vinyl reached over and wiped a tear from Octavia's face, taking drops of creek water running down her skin as she did. She knew the time for lust was done for now. Instead of kissing Octavia, she hugged her tightly as Octavia sobbed. Vinyl couldn't stop the tears forming in her eyes either. "I love you, too."

'Finally. Finally.' Their thoughts were mutual.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~:heart:~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Octavia and Vinyl walked along the stream back towards the park. They had traveled quite the distance when they were splashing and playing. Their steps were squishy as their bodies were covered with mud and still damp. They were giggling, blushing and chatting about their personal lives when they approached the small wooden bridge that crossed the creek. A bare light blue stallion with curly orange hair was standing on that bridge. When Vinyl saw him, she quickly averted her gaze, as her deadly eyes were openly exposed.

"Excuse me," the stallion with a magnifying glass on his cutie mark called to the two of them, "do you know whose sunglasses these are?" He held up a pair of radical purple shades. Vinyl had left them on the bridge when she first jumped in. "They were just sitting here."

"Ah, those are mine. Thanks, dude," Vinyl said, still looking away. She magically took the shades from the stallion and levitated them over and back onto her face. "Come on, Octavia. I think we need showers."

They turned to leave and Octavia nudged Vinyl and whispered, "Perhaps we could share one?"

Vinyl turned pinker as the two walked away. The light blue stallion smirked. But he hadn't heard Octavia's erotic suggestion. He was thinking about something else. Merits Hounderhoof picked up his saddle packs and put them on his back. The innocent looking packs, that contained his shades, suit, hat, tie, binoculars, notepad and Vinyl's real sunglasses, jiggled along as he trotted away from the two ponies who had no clue about the enchanted item that was just given to them.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~:heart:~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Downstream, Fluttershy was scooping up a net full of streamers and confetti that were floating around in an annoyed-looking duck family's pond.

"Oh, who would do such a thing?" Fluttershy mumbled sadly as she cleared the litter. (-50 friendship points.)

Author's Note:

You thought Vinyl's dream would be confined in your imagination, never to see the light of creation. Well, now it's real! AND it's on the internet! It will OUTLIVE US ALL.

PreviousChapters Next