• Published 3rd Feb 2015
  • 5,585 Views, 348 Comments

MLDC: Firestorm Crisis - Michael_Ravencroft



Sunset Shimmer, Twilight Sparkle, total opposites, the bad girl, and the studious girl. But one fateful night will change everything for them, and quite possiblly the world.

  • ...
20
 348
 5,585

PreviousChapters Next
Entry 38: Welcome to the Show (Part 1)

Adagio hadn’t been slacking during this whole time she and her fellow Sirens were in Canterlot City, she was scheming, planning for a greater gambit. The power of the Firestorm Protocols gave her and her Siren lovers the power that they needed, but not the power they wanted. So the portal to Equestria would not be open for long time, it didn’t matter, they would take this world now before the Organization or Dusk Shine had their way with it. The city was a powderkeg, and it was just itching to blow up, but not yet, first she needed these two to bow first.

The alpha Siren stood outside of Sunset’s apartment, smiling wickedly, she channeled her Firestorm powers and soon her body became ghostly, vibrating at a frequency that erased her presence and allowed her to phase through objects. Adagio walked up the stairs and stood before Sunset’s front door, the alpha Siren strode through as if it wasn’t even there, arriving inside the same living room that all three Sirens had occupied twice.

Knowing where to go, Adagio sauntered into Sunset’s room, and there she saw them. Sunset was dressed in an oversized tank top, and boxers, while Twilight, her little nerdy lover, was sleeping next to her. Her pajama shirt was pushed up slightly, giving a peek of her midriff, Twilight was lying in the crook of Sunset’s left arm, curled up next to her as she slept in content. It was a truly lovely thing to see, it reminded her much of the time when she had caught Aria and Sonata sleeping in the same manner after a private romp between them.

Adagio walked up on Sunset’s side of the bed, leaning down as she looked at the former Equestrian. She wasn’t sure what or why, but Adagio would be lying if she didn’t feel some sort of attraction to this girl. Perhaps it was because she too was a displaced Equestrian, or perhaps it was due to their natures? They both had an air of authority and intimidation about them, if Adagio was so bold, Sunset was probably the only other person she’d have to worry about taking her spot as alpha of the Sirens. The thought of them struggling for dominance sent chills through Adagio’s body, delightful chills.

“Alas, I can’t have either of you interfering, I need you both helpless for a while,” said Adagio, her voice muted so that no one else could hear her.

Adagio allowed her hands to become solid, just enough that she could touch and not be noticed. The alpha Siren gently turned Sunset’s head until she was looking up, she then made her lips become solid and slowly she lowered her head. Adagio then kissed Sunset Shimmer, but this was not an ordinary kiss, a light shined in Sunset’s throat, a light that rose up as Adagio did, an ethereal stream of light rose from Sunset’s mouth and into Adagio’s mouth. After a couple a seconds a ball of fiery light came out of Sunset’s mouth, Adagio licked her lips as she gently took the orb into her right hand, after clenching it, the orb transformed into an orange crystal bead.

With Sunset done, it was Twilight’s turn. It was a tad bit more difficult given Twilight’s sleeping position, but with some careful maneuvering and gentle prodding, she was able to get Twilight to lay flat on her back. The alpha Siren climbed atop the bed and over Twilight, lowering her lips to the nerdy girl as an orb of light rose from Twilight’s throat, and just like Sunset, that same orb escape Twilight’s mouth and clutched in her hand, transforming into a violet crystal bead.

Adagio looked upon both girls, given her abilities and the position she was in after having done what she did, playing with both of them would be so much fun. However, that will have to wait, when you both are on your hands and knees, pledging your life to me.

The alpha Siren got off the bed and spared one last glance at both of them, smiling her wicked smile, knowing what was in store for them coming morning’s light.

The morning rays of the sun bled through Sunset’s blinds, resting upon Sunset Shimmer’s face. The former bad girl groaned a little, rubbing her eyes in annoyance, it was the weekend, a time to sleep in and relax. Sunset turned away from the light, her eyes resting upon the sleeping form of her girlfriend, she smiled warmly at her as she watched Twilight sleep. The gentle rising and falling of her chest, the warmth of her body next to her’s, and the natural scent of lavender Twilight seemed to give off.

After the dance at school, passions were high between them, but unfortunately they couldn’t do much about it since it was still a school night. However, when Friday night rolled around, let’s just say that much fun was had, to say the least. Sunset moved a strand of hair that was obstructing her view of Twilight’s adorable face, even in such cutesy pajamas she wanted nothing more than to take this girl right now. Actually, that’s not a bad idea.

Sunset placed her hand on Twilight’s cheek, stirring her from sleep. The genius girl slowly placed her hand atop Sunset’s, smiling back and already noticing the hungry look in her lover’s eyes. Sunset quickly pounced on Twilight, straddling her as she looked down on her “prey”. Despite this, Twilight smiled, more than willing to allow Sunset to have her way.

“……” Sunset paused in her actions. “…………” Sunset quickly sat up looking a little panicked as no sound was coming out of her mouth. “………………!” Sunset tried to shout, but there was still nothing. Sunset pointed at her throat in a panic to Twilight.

Twilight quirked an eyebrow, wondering this was some sort of weird bedroom she didn’t get. “……” Suddenly, Twilight grasped at her throat, sitting up quickly as she tried to talk. “…………………………!!!”

Both girls made panicked gestures to each other, realizing that somehow they had lost their voices. Thinking quickly, Twilight reached for her cellphone and began typing in it. When she was done she showed Sunset. [I can’t talk, I-I literally can’t feel my throat vibrate to make any sounds!]

Sunset got off of Twilight and reached her phone, furiously typing in it and showing it to Twilight. [Same with me! I don’t know what happened!]

[Normally I’d say it was laryngitis, but I don’t think either of us showed any symptoms beforehand.] Twilight texted.

[We need to figure out what’s happening, if we can’t talk then we can’t activate our Firestorm powers!]

Both girls hurriedly rushed out of bed and began changing. Sunset gave a quick flick of the wrist to see if her magic was still working, and thankfully it was. The spells normally never needed vocal commands, most unicorn magic needed only concentration, the spells cast from within the mind of the the caster. Sunset made Twilight aware of this and sighed in relief, but this did not listen the seriousness of the situation, without the ability to speak neither of them could speak the activation word, which would make it impossible for them to transform into their Firestorm forms. This was a priority that needed to be addressed.

Twilight typed on her phone. [Isn’t there a spell you can use to get our voices back?]

To which Sunset replied. [Spells like that weren’t exactly on my list of useful spells to know! Unicorn spells are unspoken, all concentration! So there was no real fear of not being able to cast magic if you lost your voice! Plus, there were always enchanted items one could use a substitutes, and yes there are spells for healing that kind of thing, but I never learned it because I never thought it was relevant!]

Twilight winced. [Sorry…I just thought…]

Sunset stopped midway through her changing and sighed, well, motioned like she did, not even a sigh could be heard from her mouth. She walked over to Twilight and draped her arms around her lover, hugging her closer. Sunset took Twilight’s phone and typed the words. [No, I’m sorry. I’m just a little freaked out right now. Truth is most of the spells I know I remember from my years of studying, some I made note of the second I could write –]

At that moment, Sunset released Twilight and dashed for her closet. Twilight looked on in confusion as to what her girlfriend was doing as she ransacked the innards of her closet. Finally, after about a minute of rummaging, Sunset pulled out a cardboard box. She carefully took out two things, one was a leather bound book with Sunset’s symbol on it, which Twilight learned later was called a “cutie mark”. That was placed on the floor, but gently done, Sunset even stared at the book for a moment longer before going back into the box. The fiery haired girl then sprang to her feet and brought what she found to the bed.

Sunset spread out sheet after sheet of papers, she used her magic to levitate them into the air, looking over each one carefully before moving on to the next sheet. Twilight managed to catch one of the sheets and glanced over it, on the surface it looked like a mathematical formula, but it was written in Equestrian, with rune markings and diagrams of magic circles. For some reason, despite not being able to read Equestrian, the more Twilight looked at them, the more her mind was able to work them out.

Suddenly the papers all fell from their floating positions, Sunset had one sheet in her hand and began reading over it. After a few seconds she put the paper down and turned to Twilight, curious, Sunset saw the piece of paper in her hand. She motioned for Twilight to give to her, once Twilight did, Sunset read over the sheet and blushed furiously, throwing it over her left shoulder.

Shaking off that distraction, Sunset’s face became serious. The former unicorn clapped her hands together, aquamarine light surged from her hands and made her hair float up from the excess energy. Sunset separated her hands with one orb of light on both of Sunset’s index fingers.

She placed her left finger to the middle of her forehead, and with her right finger, she touched Twilight’s. A mini-burst of light went off, which made Twilight’s mind tingle a little.

“What…what was that?!”

“Ha it worked!”

“What worked – wait, I can hear you, I can talk I – !” Twilight noticed that Sunset, throughout their speaking, never actually opened her mouth. “Wait, what’s happening?”

“What’s happening is I just used a telepathy spell, it’ll allow us to hear the other’s thoughts. Unfortunately it’ll only last twenty-four hours before I need to reapply it, but at least this way we don’t have to keep doing that texting thing,” said Sunset.

Twilight was getting excited now. “Telepathy, the ability to read minds! This is uncanny, that spell must’ve accessed a part my cerebral cortex to –!”

“Sparky, I know you can nerd out, but right now this is an open line, and anything you think I can hear, and the stronger the thought the louder it is in my head,” said Sunset as she rubbed her head.

Twilight bit her bottom lip. “Sorry, I’m sorry! I-I’ll try to keep my thoughts under control. But in any case this is only a temporary solution, let’s head back to my house so I can use the lab, we need to rule out that this is biological before we start looking into other things.”

Sunset nodded and two resumed their changing. As they did, Twilight heard a stray thought from Sunset, “You have a cute ass, Sparky.”

Twilight blushed as she glanced over her shoulder to Sunset. “Sunset, you know I heard that right?”

“What’s your point?”

“You’re a perv.”

“Yes, but I’m your perv.”

Twilight rolled her eyes, the whole reading minds thing was going to allow Twilight to hear every little perverted thought in Sunset’s head for sure. “By the way, what was that piece of paper you took from me?”

Now it was Sunset’s turn to blush. “Um, let’s just say that it’s best used for when we’re…ahem, ‘further along’ in our relationship.”

Once Sunset and Twilight got outside, things weren’t quite right. Everybody seemed on edge, with a perma-scowl on their faces as if just waiting for the next person to look at them the wrong way to start something.

After putting on their helmets, Sunset and Twilight drove off down the street, with Sunset making a beeline for her house. Traffic was even worse than the people they saw on the street, drivers were cutting off other drivers like nobody’s business. Other motorcyclists were weaving in and out of traffic at dangerous speeds, one even came close to clipping Twilight’s arm.

With a bit of luck they were able to make it to Twilight’s neighborhood, but the edge was not gone, even the residents in the quaint little suburban area seemed angry at each other. Which was a stark contrast from how the place usually was.

Twilight and Sunset quickly made their way to the door, but paused when they saw Spike at the window, motioning with his paw to not come in. Before they could even figure out why he would warn them, the door swung wide open, and behind it was Velvet, her normally cheery smile was replaced with an authoritative, narrowed eyed glare at both girls.

“How much longer were you planning on staying at her place, Twilight!?” Velvet asked sternly.

Twilight found herself in an awkward position, she could not speak, at all, and her mother was looking quite perturbed for some reason.

“Nothing to say for yourself? No doubt this hussy is becoming a bad influence on you!”

“Hussy?!” Sunset thought, feeling a bit of stabbing pain in her heart at hearing those words.

Velvet pulled Twilight in by her arm, and then glared back at Sunset. “I knew I didn’t like you, I thought you were genuinely in love with my daughter! But it seems you’re still on your vendetta, trying to corrupt her with debaucheries and violating her late into the night! No more, I forbid you from ever seeing her! Now go or I’ll call the police!”

Without another word spoken by Velvet, she backed up and slammed the door in Sunset’s face. The former Equestrian’s inner thoughts were racing. Velvet hated her, Twilight’s parents hated her? No, something was wrong, Sunset knew Velvet had a maternal mama bear side to her, having seen it with Night Light and Velvet during their interrogation/interview after they returned. But that?

“That was nothing but spite, and hatred. Something’s wrong,” thought Sunset.

“Get off of me you mangy mutt!” Velvet shouted.

“SPIKE!” Twilight’s thoughts rang out.

There was a whimpering sound that came right after a thud. Sunset’s eyes grew wide with fear as she heard the sounds coming inside. Foregoing any sense of right and wrong, Sunset focused her magic on the door and made it burst off its hinges. She then rushed in, seeing Spike slumped against the wall, and Velvet keeping a tight grip on her daughter’s wrist to the point that she was on her knees in pain.

“So you actually trained your dog to attack your own mother?! You ungrateful child, I knew Shining Armor should never have brought you into this house!” Velvet yelled as she prepared to backhand Twilight across her face.

Sunset narrowed her gaze and thrust her hand forward, releasing a wave of magical telekinetic energy that wrapped around Velvet, freezing her in place as a field of aquamarine light coated her body. Sunset made gesture with that same hand, forcing Velvet to release Twilight’s wrist.

“Are you alright?” Sunset asked.

“I-I don’t – Spike!” Twilight rushed to her little dog, carefully scooping him into her arms. She so badly wanted to call out to him, but she had no voice, tears came down her eyes as she realized this. “Please, Spike, be okay…please…”

Sunset rushed over to Twilight, she gently placed her hand on his side and felt his chest moving. “He’s still breathing Twi, but we’d better get him to a Vet to be sure, that thud I heard sounded bad.”

“I knew you were just some punk kid!”

Both Twilight and Sunset turned around and to the front door and saw Night Light, his face contorted in anger as he saw his wife frozen in place, his daughter holding her dog, and Sunset Shimmer. The normally calm man rushed forward, his fist raised and ready to strike, but another quick burst from Sunset’s magic froze Night Light in place. Both girls panted from the uncertainty of what was happening, both of Twilight’s parents were being completely violent. Twilight had seen her parents angry, but this was just straight up violent and frenzied.

“Sunset, something is going on here, my Mom and Dad would never act like this!”

“Trust me Sparky, after the time I’ve spent with them, even I know they’re acting out of character, but right now we need to get Spike to a Vet and then we can figure out what’s happening,” said Sunset.

“The animal shelter has a vet, let’s head there now! But…we can’t use your bike, it might make Spike worse and I can’t hold him properly…”

Sunset looked around and saw Night Light’s keys in his other hand. With a swift motion of her hand, Sunset made the older man drop the keys to the ground. Promising herself to explain this later, Sunset and Twilight entered Night Light’s car and drove off down the road.

It was just as bad outside as it was in the house. People were arguing, some were in full on fist fights, and some others were chasing down people with their vehicles, it was pure madness.

Spike, who had been lying in Twilight’s lap, groaned a little as he muttered, “Weird singing…they…they don’t hear it…they’re…”

“Hold on Spike, just hold on,” thought Twilight as she gently stroked his head.

Sunset Shimmer normally obeyed the street laws, when in a car, but right now, the laws be damned. The fiery headed girl kicked the car into third gear and sped up, weaving around cars and bumping into a few on the way to the shelter. Promising Twilight that they could always transmute the car back to normal later.

Unfortunately, upon their arrival to the shelter, it was not any better. People were arguing and engaging in fists fights outside and inside the building, but right now they had no other choice. Sunset and Twilight got out of the car and rushed inside, both were treated to a slew of curses every time they asked for help.

Twilight was starting to get worried for Spike, but then they heard a familiar voice. “TWILIGHT, SUNSET, OVER HERE!”

Both girls glanced down the hall and noticed Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, without a second thought they dashed down the hall, weaving around the quarreling people and dodging a random person swinging a pole as if to hit someone. When Sunset and Twilight made it into the room, Rainbow Dash closed the door behind them and put the heavy file cabinet down as a barricade.

“Okay, it’s starting to get really crazy out there! Why are you guys here?” Rainbow asked.

Twilight showed Spike, immediately, Fluttershy rushed to the small canine and gently scooped him up. Thankfully they managed to barricade themselves in an exam room.

“Oh my goodness, what happened to him?!” Fluttershy asked as she placed him on the table.

“…………!” Twilight opened her mouth, but remembered she couldn’t talk. She quickly took out her cellphone and typed furiously on it. [Sunset and I can’t talk, our voices are gone! We went to my house to use my lab, but my Mom…Dad…they were violent, they almost struck myself and Sunset! Spike protected me from my Mom, but she kicked him and…]

Twilight couldn’t finish the rest, her tears were making it hard for her to see the screen. Sunset walked up to her and hugged Twilight close to her for comfort. Rainbow Dash read over the message and looked to Sunset. “You both really can’t talk, like, at all?!”

Sunset nodded.

“Jeez, this is getting messed up, first everybody loses their freakin’ minds, and now you two can’t talk?! I mean for you, Sunset, it’s an improvement, but…”

Sunset snorted, but refrained from going after that comment, knowing that it was only a joke.

“How’s Spike,” asked Rainbow.

Fluttershy had remained quiet through the whole conversation, keeping her focus on Spike as she examined him. She touched the area that was sensitive, earning a flinch of pain from Spike. “Spike, sweetie, I need you to tell me where it hurts.”

“Fluttershy, he’s a dog he can’t –”

“J-Just around there…it’s sore,” said Spike.

“HOLY HELL THE DOG JUST TALKED!!” Rainbow Dash shouted as she jumped back, almost climbing the wall.

“Okay, it looks like you may have bruised the ribs, at worst there’s a crack,” said Fluttershy.

Twilight typed away. [We can x-ray him! I know how to operate one!]

There was some banging on the other side of the door. Rainbow Dash and Sunset rushed to the door and braced it. “We won’t have time for that Sparky, it’ll take too long!”

“I can bandage him up as best I can, but we’ll have to be careful from here on out so that it doesn’t become worse!”

Fluttershy went to work getting Spike bandaged up, the little purple dog whimpered from the pain, but Fluttershy assured him it was to make sure that it wouldn’t get worse.

“I think we need to go, they’re getting rowdy out there! Please tell me you guys have a car?!” Rainbow asked.

Sunset nodded.

“Great, so how are we going to get to it?!” Rainbow asked.

Sunset glanced about the room and then looked to Twilight. Rainbow could see varying expressions forming on their faces, as if they were having a conversation without words. After a minute of silent arguing, Sunset jumped back and channeled her magical energy, Twilight grabbed Sunset’s hand and added her own magical energy to the mix. Both girls reached out to Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, and with no other recourse, took their hands. In the next moment, all five disappeared in a flash of aquamarine and rosy-violet light, just in time for the door to be slammed open and with a dozen or so angry people filing in looking about confused.

The girls were on the road now, trying to avoid busy highways and freeways. While on the road, Rainbow Dash had sent out an emergency text to their friends, warning them that their family and people around them may be going crazy. Not a moment later was she receiving responses from Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity stating that their families were acting violently, even the younger sibling were affected.

In the end they decided to meet back at Rarity’s Boutique, with its secure walls and doors it would be hard for someone to get in. With the plan set, Sunset changed their direction and drove, all the while she was trying to make sense of all this.

“The organization must be behind this, but I don’t get how they stole our voices!

“It might be Dusk Shine, Professor Neigh did warn us he was cunning in his methods,” thought Twilight.

“The city wide hostility yes, but then why aren’t our friends affected? On that note, if he could steal our voices that easily, why didn’t he do that earlier?”

A moment passed as both brilliant girls put their minds to work as to who could’ve been behind this. Rainbow Dash could smell the burning gray matter coming from both of them, a little frustrated as to how both girls could seem as if they were talking to each other without really opening their mouths. So, Rainbow decided to turn on the radio to see if there was any news on what was going on, but paused when a song was playing.

Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh

You didn't know that you fell

Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh –

Sunset and Twilight’s eyes grew wide, they recognized those voices, but it couldn’t be, could it?

Now that you're under our spell –!

Sunset shut off the radio and growled in annoyance. “Adagio, it was her!”

“B-But how?! How can they have turned the entire city crazy and steal our voices?!”

“They’re Sirens. They feed off of negative energy according to the legends, their songs, while beautiful, can control a pony’s mind and make them do things they normally never do, and it can also incite negative, angry feelings inside their victims!”

“B-But then why aren’t we affected, or the girls?”

Sunset growled and struck the steering wheel. “Damn her, I knew she was a scheming witch the moment I saw her, but I didn’t think she’d go this far!”

Twilight reached over and placed her hand on Sunset’s shoulder. “What do we do?”

“We regroup and figure out our next move, we can’t use our Firestorm powers, and they can, plus they have the whole city in an uproar, and their magic is no doubt getting stronger from the turmoil.”

After about a twenty minute drive, they arrived at Carousel Boutique. The metal shutters were already down, making the lower half of the building secure. A quick text to Rarity had Applejack downstairs and ushering everyone in. From the second floor they had a good view of chaos that was going on outside, Rarity closed the blinds to make sure no one could see in and then turned to the others. AJ, Pinkie, and Rarity had been given the lowdown on why they could not talk, and what happened to Spike, whom Fluttershy was still tending to on Rarity’s lavish bed.

Sunset was furiously typing on her phone and the displayed it to everyone. [There’s a lot to explain and not enough space on this phone to do it. So line up in front of me so I can make it easier for us all to talk.]

With little hesitation, all five girls lined up single file before Sunset. The former unicorn recast the spell for each girl, and once she was done, she spoke to them, “Can you hear me?”

All five jumped at the sudden voice their heads.

“Sunset, you’re talkin’ in my head?” Applejack asked.

“I heard it too,” said Pinkie Pie.

“Sunset, did you just make us all telepathic?” Rarity asked.

“Yes, except you can only receive, Sparky and I are the only ones who can send and receive since we can’t talk at all,” said Sunset.

“Now that Sunset’s set up the link we need to talk,” said Twilight.

For the next ten minutes, Sunset and Twilight explained who it was behind the city going mad and why they could not speak. Many of the girls seemed a bit uneasy when Sunset explained that they were creatures banished from Equestria a long time before she was even born, before anyone standing in the room was born. Immortal magical girls who had roamed the Earth for decades, who were now imbued with Firestorm powers, it was not a good combination.

“Do you think this is part of some grand scheme of the Organization?” Rarity asked.

“Can’t be, if you go by what they’ve done before, sending a baddie or two like that skull guy, or other Firestorm people is better, keeps their hands out of it! But if I had to guess, I’d say they were doing this on their own,” said Pinkie Pie.

Fluttershy quirked her head. “What makes you think that?”

“For one thing, if they could steal their voices, then why didn’t they just kill Twilight and Sunset when they were asleep?”

The girls were about to respond to that, but then thought it over. Pinkie Pie raised a good point, if they could so easily slip into Sunset’s apartment and steal their voices, they could’ve done much worse than that. Meaning…

“Adagio is calling us out,” thought Twilight.

“Seems like it, she wants to prove that they’re able to take control of this world, and that they can do so without us,” thought Sunset.

Rainbow Dash smirked. “Well, it just goes to show how afraid of you two she is. You two are pretty powerful, she wants to make you two helpless so that you can crawl to her and get your voices back.”

A round of nods went all around.

“But then why aren’t we goin’ stir crazy? Everyone else is, and Ah figured Twi and Sunset’s magic is keepin’ them safe, but what about us?” Applejack asked.

Fluttershy chimed in. “Maybe it’s the same principle as to what happened to Spike? He’s spent a lot of time around Twilight when she first got her magic, and now he can talk.”

Applejack, Rarity, and Pinkie looked confused at that.

“Yeah, the dog talks now, at this point I’d just accept it,” said Rainbow Dash.

“Plus, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, you both have fused together with Sunset and Twilight before as well.” Fluttershy added.

It did make sense from that point of view. Their magic may have granted Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rarity a sort of magical immunization from the mind control magic due to them being around Sunset and Twilight, and subsequently around Rainbow, AJ, and Spike.

Suddenly, all the girls’ cellphones rang, showing a strange logo of three ruby gemstones. The logo disappeared and revealed Adagio Dazzle.

[Hello Canterlot City, nice day for a little mayhem, is it not? Now I don’t mean to interrupt you all while you’re enjoying your free-for-all melee fest, but I must ask you all to do me a favor.]

A picture of Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer appeared on their phones.

[I need you all to find these two girls and bring them to me immediately. Unharmed would be preferable, but do not hesitate to be rough with them up a bit. However, if they are killed, I will personally wipe this entire pathetic city off the map.]

The screen shifted and showed Adagio again, looking quite smug as she held two jewel beads in her hand.

[And to my two soon-to-be friends. If you are as smart as I know you are, you would’ve figured out by now that it was I who stole your voices, in fact they're right here in my hand. Without your voices, you cannot use your Firestorm powers, and are limited to your magic. It should be fairly obvious what your choice should be, but just in case, I’ll give you both twenty-four hours to give yourselves up. I know you can’t say anything, but text me at this number and I’ll have the hordes leave you alone so that you may come to me unobstructed.]

[Failure to comply will result in many deaths, I think you know how I feel about these humans, so I have no problem offing them. If you don’t show up after the time limit, I will kill one human every minute that you’re not here. And there are half a million plus humans here, and I am counting the little children. See you both soon.]

The feed cut off and a new message was sent via text, Adagio’s phone number and the address where Twilight and Sunset were to be delivered or where they would willingly surrender.

Rainbow Dash growled at the demands that were given. “She’s basically holding the whole city hostage, that’s ballsy and totally unfair!”

“Surrender or be hunted down…” Sunset thought. “Sparky, what do you think?”

“Without our powers we don’t stand a chance. I’m too new at magic, and even if we decide to face them, it’ll be three against two…if we could take away their power source, then we might have a somewhat even playing field but…”

Fluttershy began to cough a little, gaining the attention of the room. She quickly regretted it and hid behind her hair. “U-Um…I-I have a dumb idea…on how we could stop them – no never mind!”

“At this point, all we got are crazy and dumb, what do ya got Fluttershy?” Applejack asked.

Fluttershy peeked from behind her hair and spoke, “Well…if the Sirens are using song and music to control people, can’t we do the same? I mean, to break the spell.”

There was silence for a long moment, making Fluttershy whimper in belief that her idea was beyond dumb and crazy.

“Maybe…Maybe if we channel Sparky’s magic, and my magic together, with the right formula, we could do it, it’s a long shot but it’s better than nothing,” thought Sunset.

Rainbow Dash had an excited grin at her face upon hearing this plan. “So you’re telling me, the Rainbooms, my band, is going to save the city?!”

“OUR BAND!” Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Fluttershy shot back.

Rainbow Dash flinched at the sudden shout and nervously chuckled. “R-Right, sorry. So what song do you think we should use?”

“I don’t think the song matters so much as the playing and singing, so long as the magic is in the words, the spell might be broken. That’s my understanding at least,” thought Twilight.

Rainbow Dash thought about that for a moment and then looked to Fluttershy. “Well then, I guess it’s about as good a time as any for us to play that one song you have in reserve.”

Fluttershy smiled, now excited by the prospect of saving the city with a song she wrote.

“That’s a mighty tall order, we don’t even have our instruments,” said Applejack.

Pinkie Pie hummed for a minute and pulled out her cellphone. The girls looked at her as she carried on a conversation with someone, and after a couple of minutes Pinkie hung up the phone and smiled. “Don’t worry about the instruments girls, we just need a location.”

“Alright, Fluttershy, write down those song lyrics so you guys can start practicing. Twi, you and I will start to work on how to lace our magic into the music,” thought Sunset.

“Um, darling, how are we supposed to practice the playing part of the song without our instruments?” Rarity asked.

Sunset hummed in contemplation for a moment, she then placed her palms together and concentrated on her magical energy. A ball of aquamarine light formed between the palms of Sunset’s hands before she smashed them together and shattered the sphere.

The remnants of light shot forth towards each girl, and before them formed light constructs of each of their individual instruments. Rainbow Dash carefully took hold of the guitar of light, feeling its warmth, but it did not burn. She saw blue strings of light running down the middle, on instinct, she gave a light flick of the chords and was immediately rewarded with a light toned sound.

“No way, this is so awesome!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed.

“They won’t last long, so make the most of them while they’re here, now I’ll just put up a sound dampener spell so you can practice.”

“Sunset, let me.” Twilight interjected.

With a flick of her wrist, Twilight cast the spell, layering it over the inner walls of the entire building to cancel out any sounds coming from inside Rarity’s shop. Sunset nodded, impressed by her girlfriend’s casting.

“You’ve been taking the lead with your magic a lot, I thought it better that I started contributing so that you don’t exhaust yourself,” thought Twilight.

Sunset smiled and slid up close to Twilight to nuzzle her cheek, a habit from her previous life as a pony, and one that would not be broken any time soon. This earned a round of “awwwws” from the girls.

“Get a room,” said Rainbow Dash jokingly.

“We don’t mind an audience.”

“SUNSET SHIMMER!”

Hours passed by in the blink of an eye, it was already night time and the girls were still hard at work learning the lyrics and playing their instruments. Twilight and Sunset had toiled for the same amount time to figure out a good way to channel their magic into their friends’ song to counter the Sirens’ hypnotic song, but so far most of their joint efforts weren’t looking good.

Weaving magic into sound was not simple, too many moving parts were involved, pitch, tone, environmental conditions, acoustics, and then there was the issue of how much power they needed to put into it. Too little and it wouldn’t work, too much and they could end up overloading their friends and equipment to the point where they all blow up.

Sunset sat on Rarity’s couch, with a spiral and pencil in hand she twirled it around as she went over her notes. Twilight sat across from her, her eyes narrowed in intense concentration as she too worked on a method. Once in awhile they’d cast a spell in the middle of the living room to test their formulas, but each one failed. There was something that they weren’t understanding, or missing. The answer was there, but they could not grasp it.

“Ugh…there has to be a way for this to work!” Sunset growled.

“Calm down, Sunny, we can do this, we just need to look at it from a different angle,” thought Twilight.

“How many more angles can there be?! Sound, mana infusion, instrument integrity, physical condition, there are too many variables!” Sunset sprawled herself on the couch and stared at the ceiling. “The only other way is to get our voices back from Adagio.”

“You and I both know she won’t let that happen, if anything she’ll keep those jewels very close to her to stop us from getting them……Maybe we should contact Nu?”

Sunset thought that over for a moment, Adagio didn’t seem to mention anything about Nu when they fought Titannus, if she was deliberately leaving him out of the conversation it could have meant that Adagio already knew about him and were wanting them to do just that. “He has magic powers too, but against those three, we can’t risk them taking his magic away, we’ll be even more screwed then.”

Twilight rubbed her eyes and yawned, Sunset glanced over at the clock and noticed how late it was. “You should get some sleep Sparky, I’ll work on it a little longer.”

“No…we should keep going, the girls are still practicing we should –”

Sunset stood up from the couch and snatched Twilight’s spiral from her hands. “We both need to sleep. I’ll work the formulas over again, but I’ll head to bed soon. Go see Spike, I’m sure he’d like it if you were next to him.”

Twilight couldn’t argue with that, she did want to check on Spike. “Okay, but come to bed soon, it does neither of us any good if we’re both too tired to fight.”

That being said, Twilight got up from the couch, kissed Sunset on the lips and left the room to go to Spike. Once she left the room, Sunset glanced over both of their works and sighed, musical based magic was not her forte, and the Sirens were experts at that, heck, it was part of who they were, it was as simple to them as breathing.

Sunset went over battle plans in her head, Twilight was still fairly new to magic, combat wise it wasn’t feasible to have her fight outside of Firestorm form using magic, Sunset on the other hand still had a slew of spells tucked in her back pocket that she had always wanted to use when she was still acting like the queen of CHS, but never had the power to use. Now, those spells could be put to good use, however, it would require a bit of subterfuge.

The fiery haired girl took out her cellphone and typed the words, [Adagio, I’m giving myself up. Call off the people, I want to talk to you. 8:00am, do you accept?]

Sunset sent the text and waited a couple of minutes, and just like that there was a response.

[Oh Sunny, I’m glad you wish to talk. I will call off the search, and grant you safe passage, but if your cute little ass isn’t here by that time then Canterlot City’s going to see a sharp decline in its population.]

Sunset then texted back. [That protection goes for Twilight too, no hostile actions at all!]

[Oh very well, I will have all the citizens of the city cease and desist all hostile activity, but you better be ready to show the three of us some appreciation for this. Goodnight, Sunny, see you in the morning. XOXO.]

PreviousChapters Next