• Published 3rd Feb 2015
  • 5,580 Views, 348 Comments

MLDC: Firestorm Crisis - Michael_Ravencroft



Sunset Shimmer, Twilight Sparkle, total opposites, the bad girl, and the studious girl. But one fateful night will change everything for them, and quite possiblly the world.

  • ...
20
 348
 5,580

PreviousChapters Next
Entry 16: The Wrath of Hel

Author's Note:

And no, that's not a misspelling or typo in the title. You'll see~:trollestia:

The citizens of Canterlot City were being warned to stay away from the downtown area. Problem was that this was a Friday night, and many people, young and old, were out and about during the nighttime as much as they were during the day. So progress with evacuation was painfully slow. Unfortunately, not as painful as what Sunset and Twilight were going through. Atomic Skull had thrown them clear across town, and right into a populated area.

Sunset and Twilight’s healing ability was already in full effect, working quickly to heal their damaged bodies. Sunset groaned painfully as she coughed up more of her glowing ichor before it finally stopped, along with the throbbing in her head. Twilight’s broken ribcage mended itself, and her ruptured organs had regenerated without much incident. The people were gathering around them, recognizing the duo from the day they saved the city from Blaze, and of course from the various news reports done on them about their worldwide heroics in beating the rogue Firestorms.

“We are so screwed,” said Sunset. “That guy’s a trained mercenary, and he’s psycho on top of that!”

“We can’t give up, he has to have a weakness! Someway of stopping him!” Twilight insisted.

“There’s only one way we can stop him…and you know what that is,” said Sunset with dread.
Twilight’s eyes widened. “NO! I will not take another person’s life!”

“What choice do we have at this point?! He just beat the living crap out of us, and he’s coming back for round two! I’m sorry, but there’s no Protocol to take out, and no reasoning with a killer!”

Twilight clenched her fists at the thought of taking someone’s life, she cherished life, and the lives of others. Even though her own brother’s work involved him going to places to kill people who would otherwise kill millions; that was his job as a soldier. But the two of them, they weren’t soldiers, killing someone would just make them killers too, no matter the reason.

Their discussion didn’t last long as the crowd screamed in terror when something landed on the ground a couple of yards away from the Firestorm duo. Atomic Skull had returned, only this time his armor had formed a helmet around his flaming skull, keeping the radiation contained as he slowly made his way through the crowd and towards his prey. Sunset and Twilight rose to their feet, assuming defensive stances.

“EVERYBODY RUN NOW!!!” Sunset shouted.

“GET AS FAR AWAY FROM HERE AS POSSIBLE!!!” Twilight ordered.

The crowd began to disperse, although not as quickly as they wanted, what with so many people. But that didn’t seem to bother Atomic Skull. He raised his right hand and pointed his fist towards Twilight and Sunset, the armor retracted in preparation for his attack. Atomic Skull launched a beam of green energy, not caring who was in his line of fire as the beam scorched through one innocent civilian after another as it traveled towards its intended targets.

Twilight slammed her palms together, atomic rings formed around her hands as she channeled that power into the air, manipulating the gravitons and magnetic energy in it. Suddenly the beam shot upwards into the night sky, avoiding hitting them and anyone else for that matter. Sunset saw this as her chance, glancing over to Twilight for a moment to silently confirm her course of action. With a heavy heart, Twilight nodded to Sunset.

Sunset and Twilight’s sun emblems shined as their powers synched. The corona halo formed behind them as a sun symbol flashed over Sunset’s forehead, and the six-pointed star above Twilight’s. Sunset shot forward, channeling her fire plasma and focusing it. From both hands shot forth two swords of fire, outlined in yellow plasma energy. The crimson Firestorm raised both swords up for an overhead strike.

Atomic Skull’s unarmored hands shot forward and caught both blades in his bare hands, the sheer amount of power caused their auras to flare up as both struggled for supremacy.

Suddenly Sunset disengaged from Atomic Skull as she back flipped away, just as she left Skull’s vision he spotted Twilight. Ion, electric, and graviton energy coalesced into a sphere of pure power that floated within Twilight’s right hand. She launched the sphere, flying towards Atomic Skull like a cannonball. The irradiated warrior stood ready, but at the last second the sphere shot upwards confusing him.

Unbeknownst to him, Twilight had full control of the sphere, the tips of her index and middle finger glowed with the same energy as the atomic rings circled around them. Twilight swiped down and the sphere followed, heading back to Atomic Skull, but Twilight swiped to the left and made the sphere miss him at the last second.

Atomic Skull was getting a little annoyed and prepared to attack, but Twilight changed the direction of the sphere at the last second yet again and had the sphere strike Skull in the back of the head, but the sphere didn’t explode, in fact, it felt as if he was hit with a wrecking ball that weighed ten tons. Thankfully, for himself, Atomic Skull was able to regain his footing, but it didn’t last as the sphere doubled back and struck him in the side, taking him off balance again.

Twilight kept striking him with the high-speed energy sphere, hitting the mercenary from multiple angles as she directed it. With a flick of the wrist Twilight brought the sphere on a collision course with Atomic Skull, he brought up both arms to defend against the attack, but at the last second the sphere dove down, and angled it itself to shoot upwards towards Skull’s midsection. The speed, force, and power behind the sphere carried Atomic Skull upward, with the sphere still pushing on him.

He rose higher and higher into the sky as Twilight directed. When he reached the desired height, Twilight willed the sphere to detonate. The explosion engulfed Atomic Skull, buffeting him with enough concussive force to render him unconscious. This was proven fact as his body fell limply from the sky.

Sunset knew this was her chance to end this once and for all! Her corona halo burst with power, propelling her forward at great speed, Sunset united the two swords together into one flaming weapon, preparing to deliver the killing blow. As she got closer and closer to the deranged powerhouse she got her sword into ready position, within a few seconds she was on top of him. Sunset raised up her sword and brought it down with swift and decisive action. But, suddenly, her blade stopped just mere inches from him.

What’s wrong with me?! Why can’t I finish him! He’s unconscious, he’s vulnerable; this is your chance to kill him!

“I…I can’t do it…!”

At that moment Atomic Skull awoke, he thrust out his right hand grabbed hold of Sunset’s left arm. Channeling his power into his hand, the armor retracted and allowed him to release that power. Sunset screamed out in pain as the raw nuclear energy burned her arm. Skull clenched his fist into a literal vice grip, and with added heat from his power, he not only crushed Sunset’s forearm but severed it.

Sunset lost her concentration as her sword and the power up faded away, the pain shooting through her left arm wiped away all thought as she cried out into the night. Atomic Skull’s boots used his energy to stabilize him in midair, he then spun around and delivered an ax kick to Sunset, sending her shooting back down to the earth like a rocket.

She impacted hard into the unforgiving concrete, creating a large crater. Twilight was still in a state of shock from what she saw, so much so, that it took her brain half a second too long to notice that Atomic Skull and landed before her. Skull raised both arms up, flattening his palms. He then brought both hands down into a double karate chop right on top of Twilight’s collarbone. Pain erupted through her body as her bones snapped and shattered, leaving her arms to go as limp as a strand spaghetti.

When Twilight went limp Atomic Skull grabbed her by the collar of her outfit. He then dragged her towards the crater where Sunset lied, clutching at her half-severed arm. Liquid-light ichor flowed out onto the ground, the atomic rings quickly formed around the damaged area, signs of her arm regenerating could be seen, but the raw nuclear energy of Atomic Skull made the process go much slower. He then tossed Twilight, unceremoniously, into the crater. She rolled like a rag doll until she stopped beside Sunset, a little of her ichor dripping from the corner of her mouth.

“T-Twilight…!” Sunset cried out weakly.

Atomic Skull dropped to one knee as he looked upon the broken girls lying in the crater, chuckling at how this all turned out.

“You had me, if you had just followed through, you might’ve killed me. At the very least, you might have wounded me bad enough to retreat and rethink how to come back after you two, but you didn’t. That’s the problem with people who think they’re all big bad asses, when it comes down to it, they ain’t got the balls to finish the job!”

Skull rose up and looked down on them with murderous glee. “If you want to become stronger, you have to stop thinking about your opponent as being a person. Once you do that, you’ll find that you’re capable of things you never even dreamed about. For instance…”

Atomic Skull stepped away from the crater, his eyes catching sight of a couple of girls. One was trapped under some debris, her skin a vanilla color, while her hair was colored blueberry with a pink streak in it. The other one who was helping her was a girl with mint green skin, and silvery hair. The behemoth casually walked towards them, relishing the fearful look in the green one’s eyes as he approached.

Sunset, with some effort, brought herself into a seating position, her white eyes bulged from her skull when she saw Atomic Skull walking towards Lyra and BonBon. “NO!!!”
Twilight heard her girlfriend’s cry, painfully she dragged herself up into the same sitting position as Sunset, and was treated to the same sight.

Atomic Skull stood before Lyra and BonBon, his armor still encasing his body. Lyra assumed a fighting stance, the best she could muster, ready to protect her love or die trying. As if to shatter any delusions of her having a chance, Atomic Skull swiftly reached out and grabbed Lyra by the neck, he hoisted her up as easily one would a doll. He then turned around to face Sunset and Twilight as he held Lyra before him.

“You see, when I turned into this, well, let’s just say I had to find my kicks elsewhere.”

Skull used his free hand to grab Lyra’s right arm, forcing her to hold it outstretched. “I knew I really liked killing people, but not just that, I loved the pain they were in right before they died. And from then on, whenever I got the chance, I like to ‘play’, I especially like the screams from girls like this and kids, they make this chilling high pitched squealing scream that’s just awesome!”

“DAMN YOU SKULL! LEAVE HER ALONE!!!” Sunset demanded.

“SHE’S NOT INVOLVED IN THIS, IT’S US YOU WANT!!! FIGHT US!!!” Twilight screamed.

Atomic Skull looked between the beaten Firestorms and the helpless girl in his hands. “Hmm, nah, I’d rather play first.”

The armor around his left forearm retracted, exposing Lyra’s skin to his harsh radioactive power. She screamed out in horrible pain as she felt her flesh burning under his grip.

“You see I can control my radiation, so no worries about poisoning, and I can control how hot my power can get. Right now her flesh is experiencing the joy of slowly cooking like a piece of hamburger meat on a grill.”

Skull’s arm glowed a little brighter and Lyra screamed out even more. Sunset shot to her feet, unwisely, and staggered about. She still clutched at her injury, body too weak to fight despite her fervent desire to.

“YOU BASTARD, LET HER GO AND FIGHT US!!! YOU WANT TO KILL US, SO JUST DO IT AND STOP!!!”

Atomic Skull retracted his helmet and allowed his flaming skull head to show, making Lyra scream even louder from seeing his monstrous appearance. With a wicked smile, he wrenched downward, snapping Lyra’s arm clean off, the bones and flesh having become unstable and brittle from the nuclear energy. The pain was so excruciating that Lyra screamed out all the air in her lungs until she fell unconscious from the overload of pain.

Twilight and Sunset could only stare wide eyed at what he had done, stomachs threatening to spill out what little content was in them. Sunset gritted her teeth, releasing her left arm as she clenched her right hand into a fist.

“You see, I don’t even care. When you’re this strong, everyone’s your plaything, even you two.”

Skull shook Lyra a bit, but it was clear she had gone comatose. He then chucked Lyra to the side as she rolled to a stop. “Alright, now for the other one, I just thought of something I could do with these two that would be perfect!”

“NO!!!”

Atomic Skull froze in his tracks, what he heard sounded primal. He turned around and saw that both Twilight and Sunset were standing side-by-side. Their fire auras raged like newly awakened volcanos, but something else was going on, the air around them was fierce and vengeful.

“You won’t hurt anyone else!!!” Twilight proclaimed.

“Even if it takes everything we have!!!” Sunset yelled.

“WE’LL DESTROY YOU!!!”

Suddenly something snapped. The mystic energies within Sunset latched onto her half of the Matrix and caused the flames of its power to erupt. The sun emblems on both girls’ chests shined with greater intensity. Their flames engulfed their bodies until they were nothing but pink and yellow flames. The flames, however, took on a much darker color, changing from the pink and yellow, into a dark scarlet, aquamarine, indigo, and black. A whirlwind was kicked up, releasing intense forces and heat as it drifted through the area.

Atomic Skull watched this all transpire, feeling a strange sense of dread in the air. When the column of flames ended, Sunset and Twilight were no longer there, but something else was.

Demonic bat wings unfurled before him, the outside of the wings was made of onyx colored flames while the inside was blood red colored flames. Her long arms were made of pure crimson plasma, and each finger was a razor sharp talon, despite being made of energy, the plasma was so smooth and with little to no distortions that it appeared as skin. Her feet were covered in slim, black armored boots that covered up to her knees.

Her chest was covered in a cloth-like metal that had a red sun at the center, with six violet lines running coming out of it, and with six red orbs in each line. Within the center emblem was Sunset’s cutie mark, but it was black as night. In the top two orbs were another pair of black symbols. The one on her right had the image of an arcane magic circle, with rune symbols neatly arranged within it. The one on the left had the outline of the atomic rings.

She wore no cowl, but around her head was the corona crown, glowing a bright yellow as it hovered around her forehead, with Twilight’s star symbol glowing at its center, also black as night. Her ears were pointed, flames of red, orange, and yellow comprised her hair, as well as a tail that whipped back and forth made of the same flames.

The new being had its eyes closed, but once opened they were no longer the white color that they normally were with all Firestorms, they were dark, with aquamarine irises that pierced your very soul. The new being scanned her form, running her talons over her slender arms and legs, and even feeling her waist, hips, body, and wings. She gave a wicked, toothy grin, pleased with her new form. She looked as if she were a demon from hell, but one made to look seductive in order to devour the souls of men foolish enough to come close to her.

“What…What are you?!” Atomic Skull demanded.

When the new Firestorm spoke, her voice was like silk, but hummed with deadly power. I am vengeance! I am rage and anger! I…am…FIRESTORM HEL!!!

Dark violet and red flames erupted around Hel as she fanned out her wings, she then crouched low getting into attack position as she flexed her talons, the action sounding like swords clanging together.

Now, Skull, it’s time for us to play!

He hurt Lyra…

He’ll kill everyone…

He has to be stopped…!

He’s a monster…!

Kill him…!

Kill him!

KILLHIM!!!

Firestorm Hel flexed her claws, her power was coursing through every facet and molecule of her constructed body. The voices in her head, the voices of those who spawned her, they cried out for this monstrosity’s death, and she was all too happy to grant it to him. Atomic Skull –remembering the name – looked upon her with confusion, she didn’t blame him, even she couldn’t wrap her mind fully around what she was, but she was alive, that much she knew to be a fact.

“Okay, this wasn’t in the report, looks like Intel isn’t as intelligent as they claim. Oh well, this just makes it easier to kill you both at the same time,” said Atomic Skull as he popped the kinks in his neck.

Firestorm Hel gave the irradiated man a toothy grin, showing her pearly fanged teeth. Oh, you think so? Truthfully I’m curious to see how powerful I am, so by all means give me everything you got. She punctuated her offer with a devilish wink.

If Skull was into succubus looking fiery demon girls, he’d be drooling, but he wasn’t. Atomic Skull reared his head back and lurched forward, opening his mouth to release a burst stream of radioactive fire. The emerald flames roared towards Hel as she stood there, not even bothering to dodge the attack. The flames washed over Hel’s body, her form completely obscured by the hot-as-the-sun flames. Atomic Skull shut his mouth, ending the attack and waited to see what remained – if anything – of his target.

His eye sockets widened at what he saw. Firestorm Hel was still standing, she looked unimpressed. Some of the green flames clung to her body, but did not burn her. Hel used her clawed hands to brush the flames off as one would brush off some dust on their clothes. Is that all? I do hope that was a warm up.

“The hell…? That should’ve burned you to nothing, at the very least thrown you like a rag doll!” Atomic Skull clenched his fists. “Alright, up close and personal!”

The nuclear soldier dashed straight for Hel. His right fist’s armor retracted, exposing his bare glowing forearm. Atomic Skull thrust his fist forward and struck Hel right in her face, burying it in her left cheek. But for some reason, Hel didn’t budge, her head moved but only a couple of inches. Unfazed, she slowly pushed against the fist until she was staring Atomic Skull in the face. She brought up her right claw and ran a finger from his neck area and traced his jawline with it.

Poor baby, not as strong as you thought? Hel asked in a mocking tone.

Skull grit his teeth and growled as he drew back his fist, his other forearm was exposed as well, and from there he began unleashing a barrage of punches to the amalgamation. His blows struck her chest, stomach, shoulders, and face in rapid succession. The speed of the attack and the force generated by each blow caused mini shockwaves to erupt through the air from where they stood. During this whole beat down, Hel stood firm, still unimpressed by his show of strength, evidenced by how her tail just swishing back and forth leisurely.

Atomic Skull halted his assault, stepping back to see what damage, if any, he was able to inflict on Hel. Unsurprisingly, the demoness Firestorm was unaffected by any of his blows. Hel looked back and forth, waving her hand in a circle as if saying “keep going”. But she soon realized that Atomic Skull wasn’t going to attack, in fact, he seemed stunned at her undamaged form.

Oh, are you done? Good, my turn!

“WHA –?!!”

In the blink of an eye, Hel was upon Atomic Skull. She delivered a swift punch to his armored abdomen, striking a hard blow against his armor. Even through the layers of thick armor plating, Skull still felt the force of the blow pierce through and hit him. The blow resonated through the air like a sonic boom, shaking the ground and air at the same time. In the same swift motion, Firestorm Hel drew back until she was three feet away. The demoness spun in midair and struck Atomic Skull with a roundhouse kick.

The irradiated soldier sailed across the way until he made contact with a concrete wall. Atomic Skull coughed and groaned, but was otherwise alive. He couldn’t believe he just got kicked like a soccer ball, with some effort and a pissed off demeanor, Atomic Skull wristed himself from the indention he made in the wall, breaking the concrete apart as he did so.

Firestorm Hel smirked happily, glad that Skull was still alive and ready to fight, she spread her wings and zoomed off into the sky. Once high enough she brought both her claws close together. Atomic rings of purple and red formed, aquamarine and black energy began to gather between Hel’s claws, building with each passing second.

Skull looked up and saw the glow coming from Hel. The walking meltdown inhaled deeply, at the same time radioactive energy swirled around both of this hands. Atomic Skull exhaled, bellowing his emerald radiation flames. From his hands, in the same moment, he fired out two beams of pure nuclear energy. The flames and beams combined together into a powerful, column-sized blast that soared towards Hel.

Firestorm Hel raised her hands up and then brought them down, thrusting them forward as she released her pent up energy. A beam of equal size erupted from her claws, its color was a menacing mix of aquamarine and black, roaring with as much intensity as Skull’s attack. The two beams slammed against each other with resounding force, shattering all the glass from the stores, cars, and skyscrapers nearby.

Atomic Skull continued his onslaught, trying to overpower Hel with everything he had. But Hel wasn’t even trying. Suddenly, black clouds formed overhead, thunder roared as lightning arced from one cloud to the other. The center of the storm clouds opened up, and within it was a red sky, shining down upon the ground. The clouds acted as a ring, bellowing out and covering the night sky in darkness.

Skull didn’t know what was happening, but the backdrop of the black sky and red center, made Hel look like the goddess she was named after; Hel, Norse goddess and the Queen of the Underworld. Her eyes shined with aquamarine light as Hel gave a slight push with her power, causing the beam to triple in size and bathe over Atomic Skull’s attack.

Before the soldier knew it, he was struck with a great power that echoed out into a huge explosion. Hel ceased her attack and surveyed her work. A giant hole had appeared where Skull once was, taking a large chunk of the road, sidewalk, and the building he was next to. Metal and stone turned into molten slag as the air hissed from the intense heat that was generated from the explosion. But, despite seeing the destruction, Hel could sense that her opponent was not dead, no, somehow she could feel his energy.

She turned her gaze skyward, seeing that Skull had focused his power to his feet, propelling him like a rocket to safety. Hel smirked, he was tenacious, she’d give him that. You’re making an ugly habit of staying alive when I’m trying to kill you!

“Screw you, you homicidal demon bitch!” Skull cried out.

Hel feigned hurt as she clutched at her heart. Oh Skull, you wound me! How can you say such terrible things! Oh well.

With the same unnatural speed as before, Firestorm Hel appeared before Atomic Skull, her eyes narrowed and her lips curled into a fanged, sinister smile. She punched the irradiated soldier in the face, causing him to fly in the opposite direction. Hel spread her wings as she took off after him. Skull righted himself and watched as Hel made a beeline right for him.

Atomic Skull focused his power into his feet, launching himself like a rocket. Hel pursued Skull, both appearing as fiery streaks in the black and red sky above. Hel and Skull continued their cat and mouse chase, zipping through the tall skyscrapers and weaving around smaller buildings, but no matter what Atomic Skull did, he could not escape Hel.

Hel had decided that the thrill of the chase bored her. She paused in midair, bringing her right hand up as she pointed it in Atomic Skull’s direction. Atomic rings formed around her hand as she channeled the powers of the, now whole again, Firestorm Matrix and the newly added power of magic. The black star symbol in the middle of her corona crown shined as well, focusing the magical and physical energies all at once. She snapped her fingers and waited.

Up ahead, Atomic Skull kept flying, he was aware that Hel had halted her pursuit, but he didn’t care why. He needed a moment to reassess the situation, new variables had been introduced into the battle and Skull needed a moment to factor them into his attack plans. But his moment to think didn’t last long.

Suddenly, all around him were orbs of glowing, fiery light. They each appeared as twinkling specks, it was beautiful really. Just then, the sound of snapping fingers echoed through the air. The specks reacted to the sound and each one exploded with the strength of a scud missile. Dozens upon dozens of specks each ignited around him, blossoming into detonations that lit up the sky and ground below. Each one sounded like the cannon fire of an old battleship, “God’s thunder” as one would describe it.

The black, six-pointed star symbol glowed again and in an instant, Hel disappeared. In the blink of an eye she reappeared holding Atomic Skull by the neck in her left claw. There were visible cracks in his armor, radiation leaking out from them as he struggled to get loose from her steely grip.

“Y-You can’t kill me…!” Skull warned.

Oh, and why not? Hel asked.

“My suit, it’s the only thing keeping my power from completely charbroiling this city and everyone in it! If you break it, you risk exposing everyone to radiation poisoning! Not only that, but there’s the added bonus that I might go into meltdown upon my death, if that happens then everything within a hundred mile radius will be eradicated! And what doesn’t die from the explosion will die from nuclear fallout!”

Hel brought her right index claw to her chin, her face scrunching in contemplation. True, stripping you of that armor and killing you could do more harm than good with all that radiation…quite the dilemma.

“See, so why don’t you just put me down and I’ll be on my merry way?!”

Hmm, I could do that…or, I could just take away all the bad stuff and kill you then.

“WHAT?!!”

Hel placed her right claw on Skull’s head. Her eyes shined with aquamarine light as she called upon her dual powers. Up above, something began to form in the red sky. Black symbols appeared, one was the magic circle, and the other an atom. At the center was Sunset’s cutie mark symbol, within the sun mark was Twilight’s six-pointed star, etched in red. Skull’s eye sockets widened upon feeling something strange.

Firestorm Hel drew her right hand back slowly, and as she did, the green nuclear energy of Atomic Skull followed. It condensed into a spherical orb and grew in size with each passing second. The irradiated soldier could feel his power waning. The powerful sensation he felt from his powers was slipping away, and no matter how hard he tried to hold onto it, the power would slip out of his grasp. It was like he was trying to hold onto water.

Within a few more seconds Hel was holding a green glowing orb of nuclear energy. Skull’s emerald flames dimmed considerably, and the harsh glow of his skin was also fading. All that was dangerous about him was now condensed into a tiny orb of light. Hel looked upon this ball of energy and smirked. She tightened her grip, atomic rings forming around her hand. Hel clenched her fist, crushing the orb of light in a single motion, using her power to wipe away the energy.

“That’s…That’s not possible…!”

I can make the impossible, possible. I am like nothing that has ever existed, I am raw emotion! Hel lashed out, digging her claws into his chest armor. I am hatred, vengeance, and power all rolled into one! She then ripped off the armor, sending shards of metal cascading through the air. But right now, I’m your executioner!

???

“Oh…my head,” groaned Sunset.

“Your head…my head feels like it’s going to split in two.” Twilight retorted.

Sunset rubbed her head in soothing motions as she opened her eyes slowly. She gasped when she saw that her hand was not made of flesh, but of golden-yellow light. Sunset quickly sprang to her feet, noticing that her clothes were gone, all but her head, neck, and hair were made of pure gold-yellow light. She flexed her fingers, and patted herself down. It felt like she was touching bare skin, but that couldn’t be.

“Twilight something’s happened I –!”

Sunset paused when she saw that Twilight’s condition was the same as hers. All except for her hair, head, and neck, the rest of her body down was made of purple light. But Sunset noticed something else that she was too panicked to notice earlier. When Twilight rose up, in the middle of her chest, was the six-pointed pink star. Sunset looked back down on herself and saw that her cutie mark yin-yang sun was on her chest, too.

Twilight, from what Sunset could tell, was having the same panicked reaction she was at the sight of their bodies. “S-Sunset, what’s happening?! Why…Why are our bodies like this?!”

“I don’t know!” Sunset looked back at her left forearm, remembering what happened. “Atomic Skull…we were fighting him…he cut part of my arm off, but it’s healed?”

Twilight slowly took hold of that once severed arm, holding it gingerly to make sure that it wasn’t an illusion. She then brought Sunset’s hand up to her cheek, nuzzling against it and sighing with relief.

“I’m so glad you’re alright,” said Twilight with a shaky voice.

Sunset’s heart grew heavy. She then rubbed Twilight’s cheek with that same hand, wiping away a tear with her thumb. “It’s alright Sparky, I’m not going anywhere. But it would be nice to know where ‘here’ is…oh crap.”

Twilight followed Sunset’s gaze, looking up and laying eyes on a ball of fire. Atomic rings made of aquamarine light hovered around it as three crimson orbs followed the rings to orbit the nucleus. One had a magic circle, another an atom symbol, and the third had their combined marks. The surface they were standing on appeared to be the sky, filled with stars. But everything was in a powerful orange and yellow hue, it was as if they were in another universe.

“Where are we?” Sunset asked in astonishment.

“I…I don’t know! But…I don’t think we’re dead either,” said Twilight.

The more aware that Twilight and Sunset became, the more their senses opened to the world around them. They felt something inside of them, a faint thumping sound that echoed their beating hearts. It was a warm feeling, powerful, but, wild.

Just then, Twilight caught sight of something. “Sunset look!”

Sunset turned her gaze in the direction Twilight pointed. What they saw was shocking to say the least. Two large holes were opened in space, but they were oddly shaped like eyes. The holes acted as windows, allowing Twilight and Sunset to see the world they left behind.

What they saw was the Atomic Skull, his body was battered, bloody, and bruised. The intense glow of his nuclear power was gone, looking more like a dim lightbulb. He tried desperately to fire off a radiation blast, but to no avail, his power was gone, reduced to having only enough power to kick-start a car battery.

“What on Earth happened to him?!” Twilight asked horrified.

“Whatever happened, it looks like it beat the crap out of him! This is a good thing, Sparky, you know that right?”

“The level of injuries he’s sustained would kill anybody ten times over! Whatever happened to him isn’t fighting him, it’s torturing him!”

“So what?! Did you forget what he did to Lyra, to those people at the restaurant?! And the people and animals lying dead in the streets?!”

Twilight narrowed her gaze at Sunset. “I don’t condone what he’s done, I hate him for it! But there’s no point in defeating him if we end up becoming the same monster that we’re fighting against!”

The unknown universe began to shift to an angry red color, as if sensing the emotions of both girls. Sunset and Twilight noticed the change, and for some reason, they felt stronger. Both looked back through the proverbial “looking glass” and watched as Atomic Skull was taken up by the throat and slammed into the ground, causing dirt and concrete to blast up from the impact. The view changed, the window portals now gazing at an unbroken shop window.

The being both girls saw was the definition of a demon of folklore, Sunset tensed up at seeing this monster, wondering what it was doing beating up Atomic Skull, not that she was complaining. But just then, the creature turned enough to show its front, allowing the girls to see the black symbols. Twilight and Sunset looked back up at the giant Firestorm Matrix overhead, seeing the exact same symbols. It was then that the realization dawned on them.

“Twilight…we’re…we’re…”

“Inside the Firestorm Matrix…” Twilight spoke in a daze. “The two halves of the Matrix combined together to become whole once again.”

“But…then that means…that thing is us?! We fused together to form that she-demon?!” Sunset cried out.

Twilight grabbed hold of her head as she tried to make sense of all this. “I don’t understand…I had thought it possible for the Matrix to combine again, but I never thought it would combine while we were still bonded to it! It fused us together, in order to become whole, it fused us! That’s not even biologically possible!”

“Twilight, think, when we’re in our Firestorm forms, we’re not flesh and blood. We’re made up of energy, pure power given physical form. So fusing our bodies isn’t too far of a stretch.” Sunset looked around the Firestorm Matrix Universe, trying to find something that would give them a better explanation on what was happening. At that moment, Sunset noticed a familiar glow of power. “That can’t be…”

Twilight turned around and saw glowing atomic rings, they seemed to hum with a power of their own, somehow making the Firestorm Matrix that much stronger. “I’ve never seen that before, those symbols, that energy, is this what the original Matrix was supposed to be?”

Just then the two of them heard pained grunting sounds emanating from behind them.

Firestorm Hel was enjoying this, it was so exciting how easy this felt, the power, the thrill of being vastly more powerful than her opponent, and tearing them down bit by bit, it was more than exhilarating.

Hel dragged Atomic Skull through the streets, cutting a groove into the pavement as she plowed him through the asphalt. She then tossed him up and delivered an uppercut straight to his jaw, sending him spiraling backwards. Hel used her magi-transmutation powers to summon a wall, making the earth rise up in an instant. With a flick of the wrist, Hel changed it atomic structure to that of steel.

Atomic Skull slammed against the metal surface, getting the wind knocked out of him in the process. Hel waved her clawed hand and dissolved the wall into nothing, she then thrust out her right claw, atomic rings formed and from the center a dozen fiery chains spewed forth. The chains snaked around, moving like cobras on the hunt. The flame chains quickly wrapped themselves around Skull’s arms and legs.

The demoness pulled, bringing Skull along for the ride. She then whipped him across, making him impact into a building. Hel never lost her momentum, continuing to pull and drag Skull through the structure.

It’s so much fun, isn’t it?! I can see how you can get a kick out of this! It’s greatly addicting! Hel shouted with wicked glee.

The demoness dropped Skull, unceremoniously, back to the ground, releasing him from the chains. The irradiated soldier rose to his feet, hacking up blood that was colored black. His glowing skin allowed a good x-ray look at his bones, showing the multiple fractures and broken parts clearly. Still, Atomic Skull wasn’t one to die easily, the soldier in him wouldn’t allow him to roll over and die.

With another blink, Hel teleported in front of Skull once again, glaring and smiling at him. Are you afraid? If not, you should be, because you’re going to die here on the street, like a mangy dog.

“You…frickin’ monster…” Skull managed to get out.

Hel’s eyes narrowed at that word, with a wave of her hand she summoned her power. Atomic rings formed as she willed the gravitons in the air to wrap around Skull’s arms and hoist him up. She then pulled the arms outwards so they were outstretched.

‘Monster’ he says, like you have any right to call me that, you who kill with no reason, other than for fun! You hurt a girl just because you can, and actually liked it! Well, let’s see how you like it when you’re on the opposite side!

Without really noticing, Sunset and Twilight had appeared in the form of astral projects beside Hel, watching as she performed her next act of cruelty. With another wave of her claw, Hel willed the gravitons to converge on his forearms, and with a simple slashing motion, the gravitons condensed all at once.

Atomic Skull’s forearms were then crushed as if caught between two anvils. Skull released a loud and painful scream as the bones and glowing flesh were flattened and crushed. Hel smirked as she released the vice, showing his now two mangled forearms, traces of bone and flesh could still be seen, but the amount of ebony blood kept most of the damage obscured.

“STOP IT!” Twilight pleaded.

No,answered Hel.

“Look I hate this douchebag, too! But that’s enough, you’re torturing him!” Sunset argued.

Like he tortured Lyra in front of BonBon? They did nothing wrong, he deserves this in spades!

Hel brought up her index and middle claw, energy gathered to the two claws, coalescing into a small ball of light. She slashed the air downwards, and then upwards in one fluid V motion. As if by delayed reaction, streaks of orange light passed over Atomic Skull’s arms just below the shoulder. After a second had passed, Skull fell from the air as his arms still remained floating in midair. His severed arms gushed black blood all over the streets as he howled and wailed in the most excruciating pain he had ever felt.

Twilight put her hands over her mouth, threatening to vomit at the sight. Sunset hugged herself as she witnessed the extreme act of violence. Hel, however, was unfazed, only grinning in satisfaction at her triumph over this killer. Skull had dropped to his knees, trying to maintain balance without his arms as he continued to bleed out and scream.
The demoness stepped forward and raised her right hand, sticking her index finger out and her thumb up, mimicking a gun. She then placed her index claw against his head, resting it right at his forehead. Skull had gone stiff upon the contact, shuddering helplessly before the demoness.

“STOP, JUST PLEASE STOP!!! WE DON’T WANT ANY OF THIS!!!” Twilight pleaded again.

“IT’S OVER, WHATEVER YOU ARE, IT’S OVER! HE CAN’T EVEN FIGHT BACK ANYMORE!!!” Sunset yelled.

You’re lying.

Both the Sunset and Twilight astral projections looked upon Hel incredulously.

I am what you’ve made me. I am your wrath given physical form. Deny it all you want, but you girls summoned me, you wished for me, you made me! Deep in your hearts you despise this man, you want him dead. I know because I can feel your desires, they make up my very being, and now, my creators, I will exact your unspoken will!

Hel spread her wings wide, energy flowed to her index claw, forming an orb of aquamarine and black light. Turquoise wisps flowed from the corners of Hel’s eyes as her aquamarine irises shimmered sinisterly. Twilight and Sunset reached out, grabbing onto Hel’s arm in an effort to stop it, but in spite of the fact that they could touch her, it did nothing. She was as unmovable as a mountain. Sunset even struck Hel in the face with a punch, but the blow did nothing, for Hel was them, and they were Hel, so nothing they did could hurt the other.

Atomic Skull’s jaw trembled as he looked up at Hel in horror, knowing that he was helpless to prevent his fate. Flashing her fanged, sinister grin, Firestorm Hel spoke only one word.

Bang.

The energy released itself in a focused blast, shooting right through Atomic Skull’s head. The x-ray view of the damage showed how the top half of his skull was blown off, sending black blood and bone fragments spilling onto the street. The body of Atomic Skull went limp as it fell back with a dull thud.

Twilight began to shed tears as she choked back her sobs, Sunset just stared in wide-eyed horror at the fact that this creation of theirs killed someone without a second thought.

“I want out…I WANT OUT NOW!!!” Twilight shouted.

Suddenly Hel held her body as if it were in pain, the red sky and black symbols overhead began to waver as if in response to her pain.

Stop it, don’t you get it?! I’m what you two need! I am your power and feelings given form! Together, the Organization, all of the beings who wish to cause us harm will feel our wrath! Hel proclaimed.

“SHUT UP, JUST SHUT UP, AND LET US OUT NOW!!!!”

“Twilight, wait, we don’t know what’ll happen if we split up right now!!”

“I DON’T CARE, I DON’T WANT TO BE THIS THING ANYMORE!!!”

Sunset frantically looked to and fro, trying to think of something. She felt something familiar, something she hadn’t felt for a very long time, a power that Sunset had thought lost to her upon entering this world. But after everything that happened, she was positive about what it was.

“If you’re really an extension of us, then get us out of here!”

Hel complied, begrudgingly. Focusing her magi-transmutation and disappearing in the blink of an eye. But unbeknownst to them, three teenage girls and one young man were watching the entire fight with a mixture of astonishment, fear, and excitement.

PreviousChapters Next