• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 1,618 Views, 8 Comments

The Millennia of Magi. - overlord-flinx



The world is a treacherous place, no? Yet, we Unicorns are looked to as bastions of defense against these times. What isn't understood is that it is not our magic that protects is...

  • ...
1
 8
 1,618

Magi.

Allow me to illuminate you with the examples of our otherwise cryptic world filled with caverns of the unknown and catacombs of the macabre. Deterring, yes. But, if anything else was said, I would be lying. Our world... It is far from a picturesque utopia fabricated by the wet nurses that spoke sweet-nothings into our ears when were we but babes. No, it's not pretty at all. And yet, the moment you allow that horrid reality into you; that is the moment the healing may truly begin.

Understand this: Earth Ponies are just that... Ponies that dwell on the Earth. They have nothing to gain and nothing to lose. They hold the blissful luxury of never knowing the weight that comes with supporting entire villages, countrysides, kingdoms on their backs. When a sale in the market goes awry, that is purely on the Earth Ponies fault. But when sales cannot be made entirely due to a poor harvest, that is the fault of the Unicorns. I envy the Earth Ponies at times... A meager existence of a simple servant seems heavenly some passing moments.

Forgive me... A passing thought. Not a thought that should be taken lightly, but one that is better left unspoken. Earth Ponies and Pegasi are both essential creatures within our society. Viewing them so lowly is a remnant of the past. A past filled with war, bloodshed, and great loss... Loss on all fronts, I hesitate to remind. However, from those struggles, a great deal of good was brought out. The Earth Ponies have found safety scurrying beneath the works of the Pegasi and Unicorns; the Pegasi have taken comfort in their duty over nature; leaving the Unicorns to dwell upon important matters. One such matter still plaguing the minds of our most tested scholars.

"What is magic's great purpose?"

A... curious question, I'll give it that. The great Magi of the Crystal Court have debated it for some time. I myself have listened in frequently from the Empress' side to these ideals of magic they all seem to debate over. My Empress as well listens intently to these debates daily; her fingers caged against her cheek and chin rested upon her soft palm. Pointless, perhaps, for her to listen... From my own account, her thoughts have already been captured upon by the words of another. I dare not question my Empress, and I will fight to my dying breath for her to say what she wishes... But I question to validity of an Earth Pony's words on this matter.

"You Magi think you have it all figured out, don't you. Drinking your fermented wine from brass troughs. Brass is a wonderful cover for laced poisons, and yet you would drink from them so eagerly without a care in the world; well knowing the ones that crafted those bowls of brass. I'll speak no more on that matter; simply a curious observation. I remember a time when you Magi where but swaddling colts with not a care in the world. It was as you got older that you let magic become Magi. It isn't shameful, it's laughable. All the Empress' stallions and all the Empress' colts cannot but help to fumble with such simple questions. And you are the best minds the kingdom has? No. But, you may be the best minds of the Unicorns. Pompous ideology does not make for supreme ideals."

I remember him well... And so does my Empress. That Earth Pony was made her Royal Adviser on the spot. Placing him right upon the rank along side me... Splendid. I share my rank now with, not one, but two creatures... Nay, I would ever say my Empress is of error. But... Validity be taken...

I am Viceroy Sombra; head of the Magi, Keeper of the Court, and Master of the Case. I have served my Empress for a great deal of my life. When I was but a colt, I was ushered into the court as a squire for my late Master. Upon his own elevated status, the Empress saw in me a great potential and took me as her personal adviser. It was a most deserving honor to serve beside her Majesty. The Empress is as wise as she is open-minded... A trait I... I do not question... However... Validity, as it were...

The Empress has made powerful strides in the efforts of the Unicorns. Well suited since the Magi -the Council I formulated- makes up for the lion's share of the court. All for the best, so I have seen. From her advancements, I have noted that the Earth Ponies have taken a more... subjected role. Little by little, their numbers of uprooting our empire from below have dwindled in lieu of staying within their segmented living areas. For the best... The Earth Ponies have, as of late, been looking a lot more dingy. Most likely due to the lack of cleared water flowing through the dregs... A task left to the Pegasi to deal with. I will have Pigeon Beak impart that order upon the Pegasi at a later date.

I... Understand my words may seem harsh... But, we are a product of our past, not so much our environment. If it was so, I would be as forgiving and understanding as my Empress. Alas, that will not be the case. I am Sombra, darkness... Darkness exists within my eyes and my heart. That Earth Pony that spoke those words in court, he spoke with such fever and understanding for something he could know nothing about... And I believed him in my heart of hearts. Sadly, my heart belongs to the court, and my heart of hearts belongs to my beliefs.

My belief on magic? Magic... Is unity. That is what the court argues the point on. However, their arguments fend against what unity I believe in... Unity by any means.

In the end, it is only outside of the light that magic can really be seen at its full, purest form.

Comments ( 8 )

I've been looking forward to a sequel of The Age of Iron for a while now! Thanks!
This sequel seems like it's setting up for something bigger. If it is, then I look forward to that too.

Oooo, not bad at all.

~Skeeter The Lurker

My Empress as well listens intently to these debates daily; her fingers caged against her cheek and chin rested upon her soft palm

?¿

Excellent world building. Just about every sentence gives added depth and characterization to the story.

3580523

Empress Megan?! :pinkiegasp:

Very interesting perspective on Sombra. Reminds me quite a bit of Emperor Palpatine.

Login or register to comment