• Published 12th Mar 2012
  • 17,228 Views, 991 Comments

The Great Slave King - TalonMach5



King a slave of the diamond dogs, becomes a god and plots his revenge against those who wronged him.

  • ...
68
 991
 17,228

Scourge the Hunter

Scourge licked his maw; the tiny thing hadn’t been more than three bites. He always loved it when they begged for their lives. But still he couldn’t dally too long. His king had sent him to slay and ravage, and by the Slave King’s iron crown he planned on doing just that. He smelled their fear and relished it. The puny Emerald Eaters, once they were one of the most powerful clans among the diamond dogs. Now they were nothing more than sniveling cowards. He remembered being like them once, weak and insignificant. He praised his king daily for sparing him from sharing their fate. He heard something approaching him. Tensing his powerful muscles, he prepared to strike whoever was foolish enough to dare approach him. He could smell them now, it was Third. Of all the things his master had given him, he was most grateful for his name. Unlike the other hell hounds, he was the only one that was found worthy of receiving a name. He remembered the day of his transformation clearly, when he was changed from a simple guardsdog into the Slave King’s personal huntsdog.

*****

Toby, a large mastiff guardsdog shook as he tried to mask his presence. He smelt the coppery scent from the blood pooling around the fallen arch duke, who was still laying unmoving in the middle of ruined throne room. The horrible black creature called Nightmare, was having it’s way with the noble. Nightmare apparently tired of the archduke, returned to sit at the foot of the throne.

“Lord Darkpaw, save me,” Toby chanted repeatedly, under the unfeeling stone throne. He could hear the steady breathing of the great monster sitting above him. Shivering, he held his paws over his face hoping they wouldn’t notice him. Suddenly it was quiet, too quiet. Cautiously removing his paws from his eyes, he looked and saw the burning eyes of the terrible Nightmare staring inches from his face.

“You’re in her spot, you know,” the terrible one said, dragging the dog out from under his throne. “Now whatever should I do with you, I wonder?” Sitting back down, the god slayer looked down at the diamond dog shivering before him. Looking at the cowering diamond dog, he pondered how to proceed. From deep in her throat, Nightmare growled. Licking her lips, she waited in anticipation of her next meal.

Right before she leapt on top of the hapless diamond dog, the human raised his paw, “Stand down, Nightmare,” he said. “Perhaps, I have been too hasty in my anger, in vowing to destroy every last diamond dog.”

Looking down at the frightened creature, he was reminded of the dogs he had kept as pet when he was a child. Feeling a sense of nostalgia, the man leaned forward in his great stone throne. “Diamond dog, are you of the Gem Biter clan?” he asked.

“N... no, terrible one,” Toby whimpered. “Lord Darkpaw had diamond dogs from all the great clans serve as his guardsdogs.”

“You may call me the Slave King,” the human said, with a hint of temperance in his otherwise emotionless voice. “I am now the Lord of all the Earth, as decreed by the laws of the moot.”

When Toby heard this, he stopped shaking and bowed in reverence before the Slave King. “All glory to the Earth, oh Great Slave King,” he said in adulation.

Taken aback by the devotion the guardsdog was showing him, The Slave King looked down thoughtfully. “Would you willingly serve me, even though I slew your former master?” he asked in curiosity.

“You are the Lord under the Earth, and I am a diamond dog,” Toby replied, as if it was fact.

“What about the destruction of the Diamond Vale?” the Slave King countered. “So many perished in its destruction.”

“They’d offended you, it’s expected that you would punish them,” Toby said.

“What is your name, and how did you serve Darkpaw?” the Slave King asked.

“Toby, oh great one,” the guardsdog said. “I was a simple guardsdog, for Lord Darkpaw. I was responsible for patrolling the many passages and tunnels between the cities, keeping order for his domain.”

The Slave King sat thoughtfully on his throne, his desire for vengeance still burned hot. However, he also knew Lady Zephyr wouldn’t rest, until she had exacted her revenge against him. Additionally, Lord Ouroboros’ friendly warning about being ‘neighbors’, could only mean that he was already plotting against him. Triton obviously held no ill will towards him, judging by how he had voted during the moot. But, that didn’t mean he was an ally. At most, he decided that the Lawgiver was just not his enemy. Jormungandr was a hard one to read, most likely he had placed him here as a means to simply annoy the rest of the Pantheon. The winding serpent would most likely only ever give him enough rope to hang himself with, should his position become untenable. Luna obviously felt he was a menace, and would probably take action against him. She would need to be dealt with carefully. Discord, his only ally would be of no use. Even if he wasn’t collecting moss as a statue, he doubted that he would’ve provided much assistance beyond offering some advice.

Finally there was Celestia. Her motives seemed so alien and unreadable. He honestly couldn’t see why she hadn’t also voted in favor of his banishment, what did she hope to gain from all of this? Obviously his desire for revenge would throw the whole world into chaos, or at least seriously disrupt things for a great many of the inhabitants of Equestria. Yet, she had seemed unhappy about his banishment, and had even rescinded hers for a simple favor. However, that didn’t absolve her actions during the moot in trying to imprison him. She cared greatly about her ponies, and might decide to take steps to deal with him if he went too far. He would need to tread very carefully, lest he become like Darkpaw. Just now, he realized how precarious his position truly was. With the capital in ruins and no army to defend his interests, he would be easy prey for either Lady Zephyr or Lord Ouroboros. Obviously they expected him to run wild, drunk with his new found power. In fact, he had almost succumbed to the temptation. But now he would turn the tables on them, and beat them at their own game.

Deciding what must be done, the Slave King rested his hands on his lap. “Guardsdog Toby,” he said, “I have decided that my thirst for revenge against all diamond dogs is unjustified. However in my anger, I swore at the moot to destroy all who had hurt me. In order to save the diamond dogs from my wrath, I must utterly destroy the Gem Biter clan.”

Toby stood at attention, “Then they shall perish,” he said. “Give the order, and I’ll form a unit of guardsdogs to begin the culling.”

With a grim smile, the Slave King stood up from his throne. “Come Toby, approach my throne,” he said, as the guardsdog walked forward. “I decree that you are no longer my guardsdog.”

Toby looked crestfallen when he heard his king’s decree, but remained at attention. “If that is your will,” he said, “Great Slave King, then so be it.” Reaching out, the Slave King touched Toby’s forehead. Pain. Toby felt agonizing pain, as his body began twisting and reforming. Whimpering, Toby felt his bones thicken and his skin break, as boney protrusions jutted out from his flesh. Minutes later the transformation was complete. Toby looked as his reflection in a broken mirror on the ground. He looked nearly as fearsome as Nightmare now. His body was huge and his sleek coat was as black as the night. His burning red eyes felt as if they could pierce the darkness of the earth, and easily wrest from it all its hidden secrets. All along his joints fearsome spikes had sprouted, and his claws looked like they could now easily tear through metal. All in all, he was now a monster. Something that parents told their pups was lurking in the shadows, waiting to gobble them up if they misbehaved. Looking at his terrible reflection he felt something he hadn’t expected. Power, and he liked the feeling a lot. Looking up at the Slave King, Toby waited patiently for his next order.

The Great Slave King inspected his handiwork. He was pleased with his new servant. “You shall no longer be called Toby,” he said, “for you are now my huntsdog. My enemies are your quarry, and all shall tremble before your might. You shall be called Scourge, for you shall scourge all the Earth until your prey has been caught. Now go my huntsdog, herald my ascension both far and wide. Let no stone be unturned, no hidden place unsearched, until all the Gem Biters have been brought to me for judgment. Those you find worthy bring to me, they shall become your minions.”

Scourge let out a fearsome howl that shook the foundations of the world. Looking towards the still breathing arch duke, he looked at his liege questioningly. “What of him?” he asked in a voice both great and terrible. “Shall I end him, or is his torment not yet complete?”

“Scourge, leave him,” the Slave King said. “The arch duke is to be denied death, until he has paid his debts in full.”

Scourge began testing his muscles as he prepared to purge the ruins of the once great city of the taint of the Gem Biter clan, when his master raised his hand. “Once last thing, Scourge.” The Slave King commanded. “Any ponies you find currently in captivity are to be released unharmed, and spread the word. For now there’s to be a moratorium on enslaving ponies, until they have all been returned to their lands. Now go and enforce my will.”

*****

Third looked expectantly at Scourge. “The Emerald Eaters are unsure of which direction the pup went,” he said.

Scourge narrowed his eyes, and smelled third’s scent.” I don’t smell any blood on you,” Scourge growled. “Why didn’t you punish them for their failure? Remember, your previous clan ties are meaningless now.”

Third grimaced, Scourge knew he had shown leniency to his previous clan mates. “I’m sorry Scourge,” he said, “it’s just that it was my brother who failed. He hadn’t discovered the scent until it was almost too cold to track.”

“Third, you know what this means don’t you?” Scourge asked.

“Yes Scourge,” Third said resolutely. “I willingly submit to punishment, for the dereliction of my duty.”

“Anything you wish to say before I continue?” Scourge asked his lieutenant.

“Just tell the Slave King I’m sorry for failing him,” Third replied, “and to please spare the Emerald Eater’s for this failure, it wasn’t their fault.” When Third finished speaking, Scourge used his mighty jaws to break his neck.

Seventh walked towards where the corpse of Third fell, and looked down at his former superior with contempt. “Scourge, shall I slay the dog who failed the Slave King?” he asked.

“No Sixth,” Scourge replied, “Third interceded on his behalf. Come, let us leave this place and resume the hunt.”

Scourge lifted up his head and howled, calling for his minions to come. In reply, the six other hell hounds responded with their dark and terrible cries. Leaving the corpse of Third behind them, Scourge, and the newly promoted Sixth ran west towards inner Equestria hunting for the last pup of the Gem Biter clan.

As the morning dew coated the coalesced over the earth near the warren of the Emerald Eaters, a smaller diamond dog mournfully howled.