• Published 5th Dec 2013
  • 3,644 Views, 94 Comments

Popping her balloons. - FinnPony



Pokey Pierce gets some self-esteem problems after a balloon related incident at one of Pinkie Pie's parties. The pink party pony then tries to cheer him up, They'll become friends, and maby something more..

  • ...
5
 94
 3,644

Making things right.

Popping her balloons, Chapter 2
By FinnPony

"Gah!" blue unicorn shouted as he woke up from the dream he had been seeing. It had been going on since the incident at Sugarcube Corner couple of days ago.

Pokey flopped his head back to the pillow and rubbed his face. He felt tired but not so tired that he could fall asleep again. He laid there for a moment before raising up from the bed. He then trotted to the bathroom and looked at the mirror.

"Luna damn this damn horn!" he thought and looked at it with annoyed expression. "Why does it have to be so weird..”
Pokey looked at his reflection.

After the accident Pokey hadn't dared to go out at first. After a while he managed to go outside but felt like everypony was looking at him, thinking how weird he was. It had quickly formed into some kind of paranoia and he almost never spent any time with his friends anymore.
His friends had tried to persuade him to go out with them and he did. Unfortunately he started to get the feeling that even his friends were thinking he was weird so he stopped seeing them too.
They had came to his house every day after that but he hadn't opened the door.

Pokey sighed and flopped onto his bed. He laid there for a while and rose to sit on the side of the bed again.
He scanned the room with his eyes and stopped when he saw a framed picture on his table. He levitated it to himself with his magic and looked at it with a hollow look on his face.
There he was, just a small foal, playing with balloons. He remembered when that picture was taken. He had just gotten his cutie mark and his mother wanted to immortalize that moment.

He sighed again, more deeply this time. He placed the picture to his pillow and ran his hoof through his frizzled mane. He hadn't popped a single balloon since the incident at the bakery, not even touched one. He missed the feeling of popping a balloon, but was too scared to do so. Others might think that he was weird.

"Why is life so hard?" he asked from nopony in special.

* * *

“Life is wonderfuuul!" Pinkie Pie sung as she hopped through the streets. If anypony else would act like that he or she would have been considered crazy. But because everypony knew Pinkie Pie, they didn't pay any attention to the over-happy filly. She kept jumping down the street with wide smile on her face, humming a happy tune.

She walked to a grey pegasus who had blonde hair and golden eyes, which looked at two different directions.

"Hi Ditzy!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed and trotted next to the wall eyed pony. Others called her Derpy, but Pinkie didn't like calling her that, because it had been a mean nickname somepony had given to her long time ago.

The pegasus turned to look at Pinkie Pie and a broad smile spread on her face.

"Hi Pinkie," she greeted her. "What's up?"
Pinkie Pie bounced on her place, while saying, "Just wanted to to invite you to your own birthday party next week!"

"I have a birthday next week?" Ditzy Doo asked with confused look on her face. Pinkie Pie giggled and said, "Yes you do! Can't you remember that silly?"

"Hey Yeah! I have birthday next week!" Ditzy exclaimed when she realized that Pinkie was right. She started to smile and asked, maybe from herself, "How didn't I remember that?"

"I don't know!" Pinkie Pie giggled. "But I know that the party is going to be super fun!"

She held a pause and stopped jumping. She gave Ditzy a playful half-lidded look and asked, "Is there anypony special who you want to be invited there?"
Ditzy blushed a little and rubbed her front leg with her hoof. She then mumbled, "It would be nice if Time Turner would be there."

Pinkie giggled and took a notebook from inside her curly mane. She then wrote something to it and pushed it back into her mane. Again, it was something only she could do.

"Okay then! I'll be sure to give him an invitation when I see him," Pinkie said cheerily. Ditzy looked at her with grateful smile and said, "Thanks Pinkie, you're the best!"

"Just doing my jo.." Pinkie started, but stopped when she realized that arranging parties wasn't actually her job. She thought for a second, before continuing, "err.. thing!"

Ditzy Doo chuckled and said, "Okay Pinkie, I should get going now,"

"Yeah me too, see you next week Ditzy!" Pinkie said and started to bounce onward. She heard a loud clang from behind her and turned to see what it was. She saw Ditzy on her back, with her eyes rolling around. In front of her was a street light pole. Pinkie giggled and continued her bouncing.

"Silly filly.." she said to herself.

Pinkie Pie made her way towards the park and saw a ice cream stall nearby. She quickly trotted there and ordered her usual dish.

"Could I have two big mint-chocolate ice cream cones with chocolate syrup, lots of sprinkles. Put strawberries on the other one and blueberries on another. I like how they both taste a teeny tiny bit different from each other when I eat them. Anyway, add some whipped cream on top of each one of them and put a cherry on the top," she blurred out in one big sentence, probably not even breathing while she said it.
She smiled happily at the vendor in the stall, who stared at Pinkie Pie with her mouth open and her left eye twitching a little. Pinkie stared back at her and said, "Please."

The vendor shook her head to clear it and then nodded quickly. She seemed to have trouble remembering all the components of Pinkie's order, but she started to assemble the ice cream.
Pinkie leaned to the counter and watched the pony work on her treat. Pinkie hummed a little and turned to see what was going on around her. There were some ponies coming from the park and couple of them going to the park.

She saw two stallions talking to each other. One of them was light amber colored earth pony with brown short mane and the other one was a black pegasus with ice blue mohawk. She noticed them glancing at her and started to get interested. Those two clearly had something to tell her.
As if on cue, the two stallions started to walk towards her. Pinkie was about to greet them, but the vendor behind her said, "One.. umm.. big mint-chocolate ice cream with chocolate syrup, sprinkles, strawberries, whipped cream and cherry."

Pinkie turned to her and took the massive Ice cream to her hooves. With her mouth, she placed couple of bits to the counter and turned back to the stallions, who were getting closer to her.

"Hi Caramel, Hi Thunderlane," she greeted them happily. Then she tossed the whole ice cream into the air and gulped it down with one big munch. Her eyes went wide and she held her head.

"Ow ow ow ow.." she whimpered and the stallions in front of her looked at him a bit strangely. Pinkie just flashed a sheepish smile to them and said, "Brain freeze."

Two stallions just glanced at each other quickly and then Caramel started, "Yeah.."
All three just stared at each other for a second, before Pinkie Pie broke the silence, "So what's up?"
Caramel seemed nervous and rubbed his front leg with his other one. He then spoke, "You remember the party you threw for the foals couple of days back?"

"How could I not? It was really fun party," Pinkie said happily and looked at Caramel. He gulped and asked, "You also remember Pokey?"

Pinkie's smile vanished, as she remembered what had happened.

"Is something wrong?" she asked with concern in her voice. She still remembered how she had felt that something was wrong when Pokey had left the party running.

Thunderlane looked at her with a bit uncertain expression on his face. He then said, "He's pretty upset."
Pinkie Pie gasped and leaned closer to Thunderlane, who leaned backwards from her.

"Why is he upset?" Pinkie Pie asked with serious tone. Thunderlane looked at Caramel, who nodded. He then looked back at Pinkie Pie, who's face was just inches away from his.

"He think's he's weird," Thunderlane said, earning a strange look from the pink mare in front of him. Pinkie looked at Caramel now and asked, "Weird? Weird how? Why would he think that he's weird?"
Caramel gave her a sad look and said, "I think you told him that.."
he stopped and Pinkie looked at him with confused eyes and asked, "What did I tell him?"

Thunderlane grunted and pointed at his forehead.

"You said that his horn was weird!" he said loudly.
Pinkie Pie gasped loudly and put her hooves over her mouth. She remembered that, but she hadn't thought that she would make Pokey so sad. She flopped onto her haunches and looked at the two stallions with watery eyes. She almost started to cry, but luckily Caramel was quick to react and he said, "Hey! It's not that bad!"

"What do you mean it's not bad! He's not coming out of his house!" Thunderlane said and frowned. That didn't help to lighten up Pinkie's mood and she started to feel the tears in her eyes.

"Poor Pokey, I didn't mean to be meanie! I was just upset because he popped that foals balloon!"

She sniffed and looked at Caramel and Thunderlane. They looked back at her and Caramel said, "We thought that you would know how to cheer him up."

"Cheer him up?" Pinkie thought and soon her face light up and a broad smile appeared on her face.

"That's it!" she exclaimed and jumped up. She placed them both into a tight Pinkie hug. Both stallions were taken by surprise and they looked at each other over her shoulders.

"I'm going to go to him right away! Don't you two worry about him at all! I know how to make him smile again!" Pinkie Pie told them and then let the two confused stallions from her grasp.
Pinkie then started to gallop away from them, but skidded to a stop after about ten meters. She turned around and galloped back to them.

"Where does he live?" Pinkie asked with a sheepish smile on her face. Thunderlane facehoofed, but Caramel calmly told her where Pokey lived and how to get there. Pinkie Pie just nodded and was off again.

The two stallions looked after the pink blur, that was getting away from them fast.
They looked at each other and started to chuckle. Caramel heard a feminine voice from behind him asking, "What am I supposed to do with this?"
He and Thunderlane turned around and saw the vendor. She was a light blue pegasus with pale blonde mane. She was holding a big ice cream cone, which Pinkie had ordered.

"I don't know. You could eat it?" Thunderlane said and shrugged. The mare looked at the ice cream and shook her head.

"It's way too big for me," the mare said. Caramel looked at the ice cream and said, "I can help."
The mare started to giggle and said, "How chivalrous of you."

"Always helping a mare in trouble.." Caramel started and looked at the vendor. "Especially as good looking as you."
Thunderlane grunted and started to walk away from the two. Caramel stayed and said, "I never got your name."

"It's Sassaflash," the mare said, smiling warmly.

* * *

Pokey Pierce was sitting at the dinner table. He was reading a newspaper, or just looking at the pictures actually. He didn't have enough enthusiasm to actually read it. After he was done, he folded the paper in half and placed it on the table.
Pokey leaned backwards in his chair and looked at the ceiling, where he saw a small crack.

"How long has that been there?" he thought and kept looking at the small crack in the ceiling of his kitchen. It started to bother him so much, that he stood up and jumped to the table. It wobbled a little, but he didn't care. From there he could have a better view.

"This is going to need some plaster and paint," he thought and rose to his hind legs, to see the crack from even closer.

Then the doorbell rang, making him jump a little.
It was a mistake. Pokey tried to balance himself on his hind legs, but managed only to step close to the edge of the table. He lost his balance and came tumbling down from the table. He hit the floor with a loud crash and soon he found himself from the floor, with his shoulder on fire.

Pokey heard the doorbell ringing again and he forced himself up from the floor.

“I bet it's Caramel again," he thought and slowly walked towards the door. The bell rang again, but Pokey didn't move any faster. He wasn't going to open the door anyway.

Pokey looked through the peephole and snapped backwards immediately as he recognized who was in front of his door. There stood a pink pony, with even deeper pink curly cotton candy mane. She had a bunch of balloons with her and she smiled broadly. Pinkie somehow seemed to know when he was looking at her, because she leaned closer to the peephole and said, "Hi Pokey!"
That made Pokey feel a bit disturbed. He took couple of steps away from the door. Pinkie still kept talking, but the voice sounded muffled from behind the door.

"I heard you got upset by me being such a meanie-pants in the party earlier," Pinkie spoke. "I just wanted to tell you that I didn't mean to be so mean and that I'm really really REALLY sorry! Please let me in."
Pokey was listening to her closely, but still didn't feel like opening the door. What if it was just a trap?

"I want to tell you that I don't think you are weird! Nor your horn!" Pinkie continued. She then pleaded again, "Pokey please.. Let me in. I'm really sorry!"

Pokey Pierce didn't open the door though, he was too nervous and paranoid.

"I'll just wait for her to go away," he thought and sat down to the floor. He waited for a minute and soon he didn't hear Pinkie Pie behind the door.

"Is she gone?" Pokey mentally asked from himself and pricked up his ears.

"Heya!" a cheery voice from behind him startled Pokey and he turned around quickly.
There she was, fully pink pony filly with blue eyes and a wide smile on her face. She had a big bunch of balloons with her, attached to strings that she held in her hoof.

"How did you get in!?" Pokey asked with surprised and half scared voice, as he backed up against the door. Pinkie shrugged and said, "I don't know actually."

"How can't you know!?" Pokey asked, but then remembered that he was talking with Pinkie Pie and he added, "Forget it. I mean why are you here?"

"I thought I already explained that," she answered, tilting her head a little. She had a small smile on her lips. Pokey felt really nervous, especially with all those balloons around her. Pinkie seemed to notice that, because she gave Pokey an apologetic look and said quietly, "I'm really sorry about what happened in the party."

Pokey stared at her for a second, before sitting down and drooping his head.

"Don't be. It’s my fault. I have this weird horn," he said sadly, and stared at the floor. Pinkie pie quickly tied the strings of the balloons to nearby coat holder and slowly walked to the sad stallion. She sat in front of him and said warmly, "Your horn isn't weird."

"You said so yourself," Pokey said and looked at Pinkie Pie in the eyes. Pinkie Pie looked into his golden eyes and said, "I know.. But I was just mad and didn't think straight."
Pokey just drooped his head again and looked at the floor. Pinkie Pie sighed and towed herself closer to the blue unicorn and placed him into a warm hug.

Pokey wasn't expecting that, so he winced a little, but Pinkie Pie held him tightly, so he couldn't move.
He felt Pinkie's soft fur against his body and her fluffy mane against his neck. He felt blush forming on his cheeks. Pinkie tightened her hug around him and said gently, "Your horn is beautiful, just like everypony else's."
Pokey felt warmness spreading in his chest when she said those words. He slowly lifted his hooves around Pinkie Pie and joined into the hug. Pinkie Pie giggled a little and asked, "Are you feeling any better?"

"Yeah," Pokey answered. Then Pinkie Pie asked with a bit more serious tone, "Will you forgive me Pokey?"

"I will," Pokey said and let go of Pinkie Pie, who did the same.

They then stared at each other and Pinkie started to giggle. She rose up and pulled the meekly smiling Pokey up with her hoof. She looked at the unicorn and said happily, "Come on now! We have lots of balloons to pop!"

"Really?" Pokey asked and looked past her, at the big bunch of balloons Pinkie had brought.

"Yeah! It'll be super fun!" Pinkie Pie giggled and smiled to him playfully.

Author's Note:

Okay.. The first chapter was just pretty much a big 'meh', but this one starts to give me more direction. New chapter in couple of days (5/12/2013)