• Published 7th Dec 2013
  • 553 Views, 29 Comments

Fractured Crystals - StarRibbon



Sometimes, its best to leave the future a mystery. For the Mane 6, this can't be anymore true. With a mistake being had, they learn that the future might not be as they had hoped.

  • ...
0
 29
 553

The Defender: Part 1

Scootaloo trotted away. She wanted to get away; somewhere, anywhere was preferred. If it was away from the camp, it was a place she would desire. She huffed, her breaths becoming ridged with every brisk step she took. Her wings fluttered a bit, gracing the edge of her sword just out of habit.

Rainbow Dash wouldn't like it if she stayed outside the walls of Wall Thorny Vine. But who was she to tell her what to do anymore? Rainbow Dash was not the leader; she knew so herself. They hadn't given anyone a position as of late, she discovered. She simply proclaimed it as such, much like any other title she might have gotten before the world turned to shit. Under normal circumstance, the filly wouldn't have bothered getting heated. It was granted due to the current state of the world. Cliche, at worst if she dared to consider everything. She hadn't considered everything. It wasn't worth it. A long time ago, she probably would have been elated at the prospect of seeing Rainbow Dash in such a position, even. She sighed softly, kicking the ground once she stopped.

Everything had to change, though. She had to change entirely. She shook her head as she took in her surroundings. With a small start, she felt herself moving towards no where in particular. She didn't recognize the surroundings, but who had anymore. The forest had regained its territory by now, any reminder of the past seemed just that, a distant memory. With a pause, her hoof met with a pillar with a small thud. Her eyes blink to shut away the tears that gathered at the ends.

She remembered now. How dare she forget such a place? She resided in the town nearly half her life; so many memories were hidden within each building. Despite the green hues that surrounded the buildings, it was evident where she was. She met her friends, she gained her mark-it was her home. She belonged here at one point. When did she decide that would change? She stared all around her once more, her eyes barely processing the sight before realizing the exact location.

This was the spot where it all begin. She wasn't far from the Crystal Castle; she could see its shattered body in the distance. Though, shattered might have been the wrong word. Its purple walls were far from pristine like when it was first resurrected from the earth. It wasn't much of anything anymore. It was funny- the only creation from it to look pristine happened to be Her cutie mark. Would Fractured allow that? She shook the vague idea from her mind as she trotted inside without much prompt. It was almost instinctual by now. Her wings fluttered aimlessly at her sides, a smile threatening to tug on her lips.

In the end, the castle still had an aroma that welcomed even the worst of ponies. If her younger self bothered to care for this place now...She flinched before watching the center. Memories flooded her vision, each better than the last. She played in the library prior to its destruction. Her friends would practice anything under Celestia's light to gain their place.

She simply had to follow the the stairs to the map once more. She twitched her nose, dust and cobwebs flooding her vision. With a light brush, the light flung on without warning. She swung her tail as she bounced to the center. Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy...She trembled, touching the dusty seats and the map itself. Their cutie marks marked within the chairs as a constant reminder of what they are. Her smile faltered as she brushed Rainbow Dash's seat. Her tail sweeping up any dust trails that it had before she plopped down.

Their cutie marks marked within the chairs were a reminder of what they were. Her nose twitched for a second as if trying to suppress the wave of tears that would suddenly engulf her vision. She only received a muffled cry in response.

But that was before the fall. Twilight wasn't with them anymore. She wouldn't ever see Twilight do her normal obsessive shelving or note taking anymore. She hadn't seen her practice magic in such a long time. Despite Twilight's reputation with failing certain types of magic, she would have killed to have just about anything tested on her. If it were to show she was alive, she would have gladly accepted the offer.

That wasn't reasonable, though. That wasn't possible, either. Scootaloo didn't know exactly where Twilight is; her body hasn't shown up anywhere. During the Fall of Ponyville, she was nowhere to be found. None of those she obtained had her mark and none of the survivors knew her whereabouts as well. Well, except for Pinkie Pie, she wasn't making much sense. At the time, maybe a spark of hope would have ignited in her at the thought. Pinkie Pie's ramblings were a pleasant thought, if she bothered to put effort into listening more. She hadn't in that aspect, either.

That was pointless, wasteful in every scenario, at any rate. What time could be spent gathering and hiding shouldn't be spent dozing off, waiting for a happier solution to a problem to waltz into her sight or translating information from a now long crazed mare. What couldn't happen to Pinkie was a double bladed sword that left many with pity if they gazed upon her form. Pinkie Pie, in all aspects, was a mare that was crafted with time. A mare that was defeated by hope. That was impractical and suicidal; Pinkie Pie proved it. If anything, it would be foolish to suggest it by now if one ignored her completely. A shiver ran down her spine as tears began their work. She sniffled softly.

Rainbow Dash snuffed the hope permanently. She, if she truly wanted to dwell on the past events that brought her to the room in question, had destroyed this longing hope, too. She buried her head into her hooves. Her eyes shutting for a split second. Apple Bloom already learned because of her.

She didn't want to see her face anymore. If Scootaloo was anything these days, coward would be synonymous with her name. With a small sigh, her mind drifted off. The brief form of a pony falling- clinging to the ends of boat tugged at her sight. Limbs struggling as they clawed their way forward into the boat despite the odds. She swallowed hard as the boat swayed at the time. Dash's mane flinging in her face, clinging onto her. She didn't see her face.

The result was a different story entirely. She pressed herself closer to the seat.

She twitched, a small creak sensed. She hadn't moved an inch to check if it were from them. The faint clanks of the crystal floor being stepped on made her heart pound faster with each clank. She shivered a bit, moving only slightly as the clanking drew nearer.

It almost seemed fit to die there, she supposed. With every ability she had, acting quickly in a situation wasn't a perk she possessed. Rationality wasn't a trait she had possessed at the moment. Her breath hitched as the clanks drew to an end.

"Scootaloo?" A soft voice released her breath only for it to suddenly disappear as her throat dried once she bothered to glance up.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment