• Published 1st Dec 2013
  • 17,344 Views, 1,239 Comments

CMC: The Next Generation - DisneyFanatic23



A series of one-shots on the adventures of five fillies (a flightless pegasus, a snobby unicorn and a set of energetic triplets) on a quest to earn their cutie marks.

  • ...
31
 1,239
 17,344

Lonely Apples Club

It was a regular old day at Sweet Apple Acres. Granny Smith was in the house watching baby Applespike, Cinnamon Stick was baking muffins, Spike was feeding the livestock and Applejack and Cinnamon Roll were harvesting apples. But when Cinnamon Roll came to the next group of trees, she found Cherry Pie beneath one of them, standing on her head against the trunk and wearing a grim expression on her upside-down face.

"Well, lookie what we got here," Cinnamon Roll said, tilting her head so she could see the filly right-side-up. "And here I was comin' to harvest apples. Who knew there were cherries here too?"

Cherry rolled her eyes.

"Ain't there usually two more of ya?"

"It's just me today," the red filly said, wiggling her back hooves.

Since her neck was getting sore, Cinnamon Roll brought her head back up and walked over to another tree that was facing Cherry's. She placed her hooves at the base of the trunk and kicked up her back legs so that she was in the same position as the younger filly.

"What's up, buttercup?"

Seeing that she was making an effort, Cherry sighed in relent. "I have this…friend, you see, who likes this other friend who doesn't like the first friend and doesn't even know the first friend likes her and can't stop thinking about her no matter how hard she tries and can't even talk to her sisters about it because she's not sure they would even understand. What should she do?"

Cinnamon Roll scrutinized her. Then she flipped down, raised her front hoof to her mouth and whistled. Spike, Applejack and Cinnamon Stick came running and Cinnamon Roll quickly repeated Cherry's dilemma.

"Mmm-hmm," Applejack said thoughtfully, looking at the red filly. "Ya like someone who doesn't like ya back, huh?"

"No," Cherry said, blushing. "A friend of mine likes someone who doesn't like her back."

"Uh-huh," Spike said with a knowing smile. "Well, you're in luck, kid. It just so happens our family has a tendency for unrequited love."

She lowered her back hooves and twisted into a sitting position. "How do you get over it?"

Applejack shrugged. "Say nothin' and wait for the feelin' to go away."

"Hope that someday she will notice you," Cinnamon Stick grumbled.

"Wait on her and pamper her and worship the ground she walks on and pray to a doll you had custom-made in her image that she will…"

Every pony, especially Applejack, gave Spike a strange look.

"I mean," he coughed, throwing his arm around his wife. "Realize that there are other fish in the sea and love again."

"But I…" Cherry stammered. "My friend can't just wait for the feeling to go away. That could take forever! And making a doll is just plain creepy. And what if no pony ever catches my…friend's eye?"

Cinnamon Roll shook her head at her folks. "Y'all are goin' about it the wrong way. Y'all actually got yerr unrequited loves." She looked at her father. "And it took a datin' game set up by Uncle Discord to get ya over yours. What Cherry needs is advice from some pony who got over their crush all on their own, without any other loves comin' in the mix."

She turned to Cherry and sat beside her. "Let me let ya in on a lil' secret. Some time ago, when I was just around yerr age, I had a crush on Thunder Dash."

"You did?!" Cinnamon Stick gasped.

"Shut up, big brother, it was no big deal. I couldn't really help it. He was over all the time and was nice to me. But the thing is I knew he had a thing for my cousin, even though I prayed he'd one day notice me. After a while, I realized I was just a kid to him, but it took a little more than that for me to get over it."

Cherry leaned toward her in interest. "What did you do?"

The older filly smirked. "Why don't ya invite yerr friend over and I'll show her?"

Seeing that she was caught, Cherry sighed and held her hooves up in surrender. "It's me, okay?"

"No kiddin'!" Cinnamon Roll said in pretend surprise.

"Yes. So what do I have to do?"

Cinnamon Roll turned to her family. "I got this."

They nodded and left the two of them alone.

"Okay," the older filly said, picking up an apple. "Pretend this apple is yerr crush."

Cherry squinted at it. "Okay. Now what?"

Smirking, Cinnamon Roll stood up, tossed the apple into the air, flicked her tail and sent the apple flying into the nearest tree. Cherry's jaw dropped as the fruit exploded into yellow juice.

"Get the picture?" Cinnamon Roll said, tossing Cherry another apple. "Now you try."

The younger filly stared at the apple in her hoof and then at the one in shambles. She raised her hoof to throw it, but then winced.

"I can't do it!" she screamed, dropping the apple as she covered her face. "I can't kill her!"

Cinnamon Roll groaned, but remained sympathetic. "It's okay. Maybe that was a lil' too abrupt. We'll try somethin' simpler." She knelt down to her. "Are ya thinkin' of yerr crush now?"

"Yes."

She surprised the younger filly by pulling on her tail and snapping it back into her flank.

"Ow!" Cherry cried. "What was that for?"

"It's called positive punishment," Cinnamon Roll stated. "Every time ya think of yerr crush, yerr tail gets pulled."

"How is this going to help?"

"Are ya thinkin' of her?"

"Yes, but…" Snap! "Ow!"

"How 'bout now?"

"Kinda hard not to when we're trying to—OW!"

"Now?"

"Of course she is when—OW! You know this is borderline abuse!"

"Fair point," Cinnamon Roll said, holding up her hooves. "That was crossin' the line. I got a better idea."


Cherry grunted as she bucked the last apple tree. As the fruit fell, she panted and wiped the sweat from her brow.

"Is that it?" she heaved.

"Yup," Cinnamon Roll said, nodding in approval. "Ya did good work."

"How was that supposed to help?"

"Work gets yerr mind off other things. Plus it gets the chores done. How do ya feel now?"

Cherry sighed. "I feel like my crush would've hated all this as much as I do."

Cinnamon Roll groaned. "Okay. We tried visualization, operative conditionin', and hard work."

"Any other ideas?"

"Well, we could hang ya upside-down from a tree and turn ya three times while yerr drinkin' cider and…"

"Stop!" the younger filly cried, holding up her hoof. "Before we go any further, let me just say one thing. What if I'm not meant to get over this crush? What if…what if I'm doomed to pine over it forever? Or," a glimmer of hope sprang in her eye, "what if it'll work out in the future and…?"

"Stop." It was Cinnamon Roll's turn to hold up her hoof. "If ya wanna get over some pony, ya never think about what might've been or what could be! Ya gotta learn to accept that some things just aren't meant to be!"

"But what if it is?!"

The older filly rubbed her chin and glanced around. When she saw a stray apple, she smiled.

"I have an idea," she said, picking up the apple. "I want ya to throw this…"

"Oh no!" Cherry exclaimed, backing away. "Not more apple throwing!"

"This is different. I want ya to throw it over yerr shoulder, not into a tree, but down that hill there. If it lands stem-up, then it's meant to be. If it lands stem-down, then it isn't. And it can be either way, cuz the stem is short."

She looked warily at the apple. "You sure this has fortune-telling abilities?"

Cinnamon Roll shrugged. "Wouldn't hurt to try."

Gulping, Cherry took the apple, faced away from the edge of the hill, took a deep breath and threw the fruit over her shoulder. She could hear it thump as it rolled down the hill, and each thump rang in her ears. When the thumping stopped, she was afraid to look.

"Where did it land?"

Cinnamon Roll turned to her. Her expression was unreadable.

"Do ya really wanna know?"

Wincing, Cherry pondered on it. Then, as she opened her eyes, a strange sense of release washed over her.

"No," she muttered. "No." She faced her friend. "I'm not gonna let some apple make decisions for me. If it's meant to be, it'll happen, but for now…I need to stop worrying if it will or won't. Like Uncle Spike said, there are other fish in the sea. Even if there are no fish for me, I'm a big girl and I shouldn't cry over it. I should just move on."

Cinnamon Roll grinned. "Told ya it would work."

Once Cherry figured out what she meant, she gasped. "Oh, you're good."

After shaking the older filly's hoof, Cherry hopped happily down the hill. The minute she was at the bottom, Cinnamon Stick started coming up the other side.

"How'd it go, sis?"

"I think we made progress." His sister raised her head proudly. "I'm just that good."

Cinnamon Stick looked down as his hoof bumped into something.

"Ugh, these apples," he said as he picked it up. "Don't you hate how they get everywhere?"

Cinnamon Roll grinned at the apple. "Not this one."

Her brother raised an eyebrow as she laughed. Scratching his head, he examined the apple to see what was so special about it.

"I…guess you're right," he said unsurely. "At least this one landed right-side-up."

Author's Note:

This is short, but it's the night before classes and I had to get this down!

I felt Cherry needed to confide in someone else, and I haven't done much with the Cinnamon siblings, especially Cinnamon Roll. Also the realization I made about the Apple family in my universe was astonishing.