• Published 13th Dec 2013
  • 1,192 Views, 13 Comments

But It's Christmas... - Debonair



An orphaned homeless girl finds something unbelievable under the Rockefeller Christmas tree, and that gift a pretty Pony.

  • ...
1
 13
 1,192

The Best Gift She Could Ever Receive.

Sally shivers in the winter cold, she's just a homeless twelve year old. Orphaned in her youth, She doesn't mind most of the time, to tell the truth. But when Winter rolls around, she can always be found, with a saddened heart. She tries so desperately to find, the shred of family she had from the start. But each time to those memories she returns, a constellation of tears forms on her lashes, Because everything she loved was burnt to ashes. Seeing her former life only in flashes of fire and flame, she knew that day her life would never be the same.

She walked the streets at night, when the citizens where out of sight, she prefers to be alone. Only a few minutes left on her go phone. In case of emergency, she could not afford. In her mind she was not even there, watching every sorted pair, of loving parents flustered for good reason, shopping last minute for the holiday season. As she stands in the snow, with nothing but herself to show, no friends, no family, she's just alone. She never seeks shelter from the freezing weather, she's just a girl, all alone

With each step running farther and farther away, from the problems she faced every day. But she found warmth in the strangest of places. She passed by the large Christmas tree, at the center, and under it she swore she could see a present, but who could have left it? it could be from you or even me. It was a gift that only she had seen a gift for a girl named Sally. She read the note, and couldn't believe, it was for her own eyes a simple doll with a tag reading Fluttershy

A gift that could have been picked up by any other girl likely named, but it felt different, something she could claim. She felt a new warmth buried deep down, a new kind of fire melting her frown. But a gust of icy winter chill came as a reality check. She couldn't be happy because of one little doll, a pretty pony, probably dropped by a phony wannabe father. Why was it wrapped so nice and neat if it was meant to be on the street?

She placed the yellow pony next to her heart and she felt the warmth faintly grow inside her, reminiscent of that feeling she had before, back home. She let her mind wander as she let her body roam the streets. As the cold wind guided her steps over the ice, she passed by a woman who looked very nice. She was covered in fur and feather, from her head to her toe. "Dear, what are you doing out in this weather." The woman asked the young lady. "If you were a bit older you wouldn't be shady."

Sally paused, someone was actually concerned, worried for her well being. "I'm out for a stroll." Sally said in a low tone. "Besides I don't have a home."

"Oh dear," The woman knew what it was like, to be on her own. "How long have you been alone?" She asked as she knelt down in the snow.

"About a year or so." In her eyes Sally could see a glow.

"What's your name, Honey?" She asked, with a motherly voice.

"Sally..." She replied, not like she had a choice.

"Well Sally, I'm Charity, these are my streets, they aren't a place for girls like you." Sally could hear heart in her words, like they came straight from. "I don't mind that you're here, I get starved for intellectual stimulation, from more than just Chester the Bum." Julie smiled as she waved to a hobo across the way. "I've been through a lot, tell me, what's eating you?"

"I don't want to talk about it." Sally said with a sigh. "It's too hard to remember, that's why." Charity shook her head and pulled out her thermos.

"You feel worthless. All these people, that don't give a damn. You know you're not wanted so you'd better scram. Am I right or am I wrong, It isn't nice to string a lady along." Sally knew Charity's words rang true. "And you think anything you ever do." Charity poured a hot cup of chocolate, and handed the steaming cup. "You just haven't looked close enough, or asked the right guy." Julie reached into her purse and found a small toy horse. She wiped off the dirt from it's bleached white coat, and fluffed it's purple mane. One that had kept her sane through her journeys in the darker parts of town. She looked at it then to the girl, somehow she couldn't ignore, the fact that this lonely little lady needed it more. "Here take this," Julie said with a grin. "She's helped me through thick and thin. A gift from Charity." Sally saw the tag, reading Rarity "Oh and this too." The woman placed a piece of paper in Sally's hand. "Take this and get yourself something warm to eat.There's a bakery down the street."

I can't take these, Sally thought. But her eyes are just like mine. As Sally unfolded the paper she could see a smile shine. Benjamin Franklin, 100 bucks. "But." She said. "I can't take this much." Sally felt bad just taking the Unicorn, but a hundred dollars was way more than enough.

"Sure you can, it's a gift so no returns. Relying on others, I know it's tough." She said as she knelt down and cupped Sally's chin in her hand. "But no matter how much you get burned, there's always somebody who cares."

"Then why today, what's so special?"

"It's Christmas," Charity said with a disheartened face. "Every day people only think for themselves, but for some stupid reason now they think of everybody else, the presents, what the kids want most. I just wish that people would give tips more often, a little extra to help us get by." Sally saw the tears forming in her eyes. "Can I hold her just one more time?"

"Yeah sure." Sally handed Rarity back to Charity. Sally saw the tears melt away, as Charity held this simple toy close to her heart. Sally knew that it was a simple toy to her, but to this woman, it was something much more, a friend to have and hold. She couldn't take something that meant that much.Sally pocketed the cash and left Charity and Rarity behind.

Charity was ready to say goodbye to her old and new friends, but as she turned she saw Sally going around the bend.

She had been walking for about five minutes, when she stopped at the window to Sugar Square Sweet Tooth Bakery. A man was just about to turn the sign around when, to the door, a woman came with a bound. Her hair was red, very light. She opened the door and invited the young girl inside. "I'll close up shop," She whispered to the man. "She's still got five minutes, you understand?" The man simply nodded and left out the back. "Now what would you like for a nice sweet snack?"

"What do you have?" Sally asked the clerk kind enough to keep the store open.

"We've got salty and sweet, bitter and spicy, and any combination that fit together nicely. Anything from brittle to banana, and cake to coffee, that's the motto of Sugar Square Sweet Tooth Bakery." The woman said with a smile. "We have Ice Cream that goes great with cake any flavor of both, six plus tax, and Pie Alamode any kind for the same price. But if you ask me, the Cinnamon rolls are twice as nice." She said with a wink. "Go ahead you've got plenty of time to think."

"Weren't you just closing?"

"Pfft, No who told you that?"

"That guy was turning the sign." Sally pointed to the sign that said Open

"I do this every year, keep the store open until Midnight, in case anybody needs that pick me up tonight of all nights. Or forgot to bake coookies for you know who, or are out of milk to wash them down."

"You still believe in Santa Claus?" Sally shook her head with a frown.

"Yep, he stops by whenever he's ahead of schedule to get that quick pick me up, and well just to say what's up." She found a mug that she started to fill with coffee for her own pick me up. "What do you mean still?"

"A fat guy breaking into your house and leaving stuff for your kids, everybody must've flipped their lids."

"A twelve year old, that doesn't believe in jolly old Saint Nick? now I've seen everything." The Baker paused, wondering what could have driven this child to lose sight of Santa Claus. "Take your pick." She said with a sip.

Sally pointed to the rolls and said, "These."

"Wonderful choice, they're the best, and really fresh and warm," As she pulled out a fresh batch, the sweet smell of cinnamon floated through the store. She could smell each of the ingredients each perfectly baked not burnt. As she turned two fell on a plate as the rest were thrown behind heated glass. "So tell me why are you so dark?"

"It's easy, when you sleep in the park." Sally replied as she took the plate to a table and sat down to eat. The woman layed down her apron and sat across from her.

"What happened?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Well no more on the subject, my name's Diane."

"I'm Sally."

"Listen Sally, I've been working here for years, and I've heard just about everything that happens in this town. I hate to see frowns especcially now." Diane took another sip from her mug. "I know you don't want to talk, but please just hear me out. I know things must be going rough, but you can't go through life alone, you need someone to listen, someone to share the stuff without a doubt." Diane paused to take a breath. "Any of this sinking in yet?" Diane stood up and opened a drawer. "This is something that reminds me there's always more." Diane set another one of those ponies on the table. This one pink with an even pinker mane. "Through every bad time I went through. This little girl kept me sane. I think you should give her a try," Pinkie Pie

As Sally finished her last bite she had noticed a few things had come to light. Diane and Charity were right. She wasn't always alone in the fight. She pushed them away it was her fault she was alone, not because no one cared, but that she never had the courage to share. "Thank you, I really have to go, how much do I owe?"

"Nothing, it's on me, you have enough on your plate as is. you'll need that five dollars more than us."

"I wouldn't want to impose."

No trouble at all, just tell your friends once you make some, where the sweets are great and you feel at home." Diane sent Sally off with a smile and another snack for later, and she went to serve the customers she needed to cater.

A few blocks further west Sally found it a tad warmer under the neon lights, she was trying to make sense of all that had happened, why was she feeling so good inside? She is stopped by her whim, and a tall skinny man, and a monster of a man behind him. She could see the younger one had his work cut out, maybe she could help somehow.

"Listen" The younger man said. "Fighting gets you nowhere, except better off dead."

"What do you know about better off?" The giant replied with a hefty scoff. "I've been at this for twenty five years,"

"You need to go home, and get some holiday cheer, it's Christmas Eve, I don't want to see your family in tears when you have to spend Christmas bloody and beat." She crouched behind an upturned can, waiting for a chance. The younger man hefted his hands and she noticed his nails, painted purple and filed sharp. His jacket was torn in more than one place, and his long mint hair feel over his face. With one swift blow to the larger man's gut, the monster of a man feel on his butt. "You can come out now, don't worry it's fine I just need to keep guys like him in line."

"It was just one hit, you must be Bruce Lee," Sally felt a strange sense of glee. "I can't believe you knocked the guy out, but please tell me what that was about."

"My name's Spike," He said with a smirk. "I'll tell you, this guy's a piece of work. He's been sitting there every day just throwing all his money away on suds." His emerald eyes glanced over to her and noticed the pony in her pocket. "Huh nice toy," He said as he hefted the beast up onto his shoulder. "But for you I think something a bit bolder." He reached into his bag and in a flash pulled out a blue rainbow maned one that read Rainbow Dash. There this on should spruce up your duds."

"Why give this to me?" She wondered aloud as she felt another fire rekindle inside.

"I don't have anybody else to give it to." He said with a sense of pride. "You were really brave back there." He smiled as he ran his painted nails through her hair. "C'mon let's take this big lug home." This took her by surprise, why not leave him alone? "What I said, I meant, I'm faithful a hundred percent."

This took her once again by surprise, a guy like her, going out of his way, to make sure a stranger had a wonderful Christmas. For the first time in years she could feel her fears slowly melt away. As the crunch of freshly fallen snow sounded under their shoes, she could hear a giggle and see a twinkle in the yellow plush's baby blues. She brushed it off, there were homes all around, any kid in them could've made that sound. "Spike?" She asked with a somber tone. "Are you alone?"

"You could say that, I've got a girl on the other side of town, but we're on shakey ground."

"Oh," was all she could say. "At least you have a home." This caused the boy to pause mid stride searching for words to confide.He heard a light clatter and turned to a door cracked open only a hair, wondering what was the matter. "There." He softly spoke. "This is where we put the bloke." He made his way to the door and knocked light. A woman answered the door clad in fully winter attire. Sally could see the disappointment in the woman's eyes.

"What happened, what did he do?" She asked unzipping her coat. "My name's Jackie."

"Well I asked him to leave The Sunken Boat, the bar he's at every night, tonight just happened to start a fight." Spike laid the man down and covered him snug. "If you don't mind, I'd like to know, what made him pick up the mug?"

The Young woman sighed, as she recollected the story. "My mom left around the holiday season, just gone for no reason. Here one day and gone the next, not so much as a break up text."

"Up and left huh? That's a big let down." He sighed with a tiny frown. "The season of giving, and because of her he's barely living." Sally saw his inability to ignore, which only confused her even more. She heard the giggle once again but it was deeper in tone. She turned to a shelf, and sitting on it was a orange pony, a regular one. Something drew her in but she couldn't take.

"Go ahead, take her, I'd just put her in a sack." Sally smiled as she read the tag Applejack. "You two better get going, before it get's any colder.

"Okay, I'll be back in the morning to check if he's still a wreck. Don't worry everything'll work out for you guys."

Sally and Spike go their separate ways, Spike feeling happy he got to help some. Sally more confused than anyone. Sally knew that there was something else behind these new feelings of joy inside her. How, in one night, could she have been changed for the better. As she made her way back through the Square she could hear the same giggles rip through the air. She turned around to find no one there.

"Hello?" She asked with a shaky voice.

"Hello" a light voice whispered back. "I'm in your pocket, we all are proud. You changed so much in a really short time." Sally looked down to the Fluttershy and saw the twinkle in her eye. "We're your friends, even if nobody else can hear, I'm happy you got over your fears."

"You're really special kid, there's nopony I'd rather be with." This voice came from Rainbow Dash. "Friends can help you up after you crash."

"I'll really miss Diane but you're really nice, maybe if you bring me with you you can get half price." This one came from Pinkie Pie. Sally didn't even try to make sense of what was going on anymore. She was probably hearing things she's heard before.

"I can't say much that hasn't already been said, but I'll tell you one thing, you're parents ain't dead. They live on inside, but sometimes we make 'em hide when we blame ourselves for stuff that ain't our mess." This last one came from the Applejack, all these points they made were true, but she was just imagining from stress.


As she sat back down on the same bench she tried to sleep on before, she had something more. Four little ponies and a few friends she'd most likely never see again. All they said finally hit her in full force, and to think this all started because of a tiny toy horse. She finally broke down and started to cry. All these nice people who gave her gifts and everybody else didn't even bat an eye. She didn't have anywhere to go, on Christmas. No family, just this big night light of a tree, where she found the gift that changed her life, if only for a few hours.

As she let out her tears, she felt a hand on her shoulder, she lifted her head, and saw someone bolder. "Why are you crying?" The man with blueish hair asked as he wiped the tears.

"I'm all alone, and afraid." She didn't feel like any more lying. "I don't know where I can go, I don't have a home, for one night, I just want a nice warm bed." She collapsed into the stranger's arms. "I don't know who you are, but I just want a hug."

"It'll be okay," He said bringing her in close.

"How can you say that?" She replied in a sob.

"It's my job." He said with a smile. "I was out for a walk with my wife, and we find a lost little girl crying out her eyes."

"Why don't you come with us, get some food and a place to rest your head." Sally turned to see a tall strawberry blonde behind worried eyes.

"Why are you guys being so nice?" Sally sighed. "It's not like I've earned the free ride."

"Chin up, you can spend Christmas with us, it's better than spending it alone in the cold."

"I'm Mia and this is Sean," She said holding out her helping hand. "there's not a cusher place you could land."

"You'd really invite a stranger to your home?" Sally was shocked, giving a gift of a toy or money, was all she expected. But to invite her to their home, to let her celebrate with them, was unprecedented.

"Sure, why not? Spend as much time with us as you wish you won't get any presents cause store's are all closed. But at least you'll be out of the cold." He smiled. "C'mon, it'll take a while to get home, so we better get goin'." Home, Sally could feel something different, a sense of family. But from complete strangers. She hoped, for something more than a place to stay, but someone who would stay by her side, at least for a little while. Sally shivers in the Winter cold, but now, now she has many hands to hold.

'Twas the early morning of Christmas, and Sally awoke to a clatter, she hopped out of bed to see what was the matter. As she looked into the room with the tree, she found it empty. Except for a few presents and the smell of pine, there wasn't anything there, not that she'd mind. She let her imagination believe that there was a Santa Claus, She had already gotten the best gift she could ever receive, and here she thought she wanted more.

Hours later, she awoke surrounded by Mia and Sean , "Merry Christmas." They said, in a happy mood. Sally stretched and yawned, she didn't know what to feel on Christmas dawn.

"C'mon it's Christmas, change your attitude." Sean said with a smile. "This little guy's for you," He picked up a puppy and set it on Sally's lap. Sally chuckled at the little bow tied around it's neck. "I'm sorry that I couldn't get more, but everything was closed except my sister's door.

"Thanks." Sally felt another warmth inside. Something hotter than ever before. It was as if she had finally opened up the door that had been shut for longer than she could remember. For the first time in forever, she was truly smiling, whole hearted.

Under the tree she saw something else, a gift for a girl named Sally, there was no From written but she could tell. saw it too, and dragged it by the bow on top. The puppy sat patienly waiting for her to smile, wagging his tail so hard it might fly off. As she unfolded the paper taped to the box she found inside two dolls, one was the same as Charity's and another unicorn a purple one with a pink stripe. All together a beautiful sight adding the final piece of the puzzle, a new sparklyTwilight also inside she found a letter, written in an extremely elegant font which made her feel so much better.

Dearest Sally

I've watched you mature in one night from a shallow girl to a deep river. Know that you'll still keep a sliver of who you have been, but to look back is the only way to win. You have been given a wonderful gift, but you've given much more. You have given these people more than they could think to wish for, just by walking through that door. And on your journey you have shown that you care for everyone you meet, be they bakers, bouncers, or beggars on the street. To let yourself out you must let others inside, I'm happy to take pride in what I saw last night. You have proven that Christmas isn't about the gifts or amount of money spent. It is a greater understanding of friends and family, through any means. If you look around the room what do you see? Probably two happy faces smiling over a girl and a happy puppy.

Inside this box along with something you forgot, is something to complete the set you've got. Charity wanted you to have this Rarity, she knew you'd be better off. When you left it with her she saw who you really were. A nice, gentle, kindhearted girl, one of very many I've seen in the world. I saw the whole event, and it was very nice of you, but we couldn't let these friends be apart for any longer. You'll find they are stronger that way. I do hope you enjoy your new home. And these toys are something much more, they symbolize the bonds you've made in those few hours. You'll see us again soon, count on that. You got your wish, a family and then some.

Chester S. Claus the Bum.

Author's Note:

I know this doesn't seem pony related all that much but I wanted to show how a gift of any size can bring joyful tears to your eyes, just as Ponies can change your life, and ease the everyday strife. It holds the message of the show. and Christmas itself. I hope this is good enough, I'm stressed with a bunch of stuff. Please tell me it's worth a look, I really need that extra boost.

Comments ( 13 )

That was the most heartwarming thing I've ever read. I love it. :fluttercry: :heart: :fluttercry: :heart:

Pretty heartwarming. I was like :applecry: and then I was like :pinkiehappy:

And Chester A. Bum was there, too!

"Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaange!"

Good job!

I loved it! Happy Holidays to you!:raritywink:

D'aaaaaaaaaawwwww! :raritycry:

That was cute.

I liked the rhyme idea, however, I find it better if you broke from it every once and a while.
But that's just me.

- Indy

3624430 Twas the Night Before Christmas was an inspiration, I wanted something unique, something to set it apart, and thanks for taking the time to read and comment. :twilightsmile:

I am the hammer, and I am here to judge- (don't worry, I liked it)

PROS
1.) I felt like it had a really good message, and a heart warming tale behind all the rhyming:derpyderp2:
2.) It was short, but not that short if you know what I mean (a comfortable length not super long). It seemed to last longer than some of the other 1-shots. I have no idea why, but I liked that.
3.) It had a well written ending. It may not seem like much, but the ending to me says it all, like if it was rushed, or the author didn't want to finish it. Yours was spot on.:pinkiehappy:


CONS
1.) I thought there was a bit too much rhyming. I have a tendency to be one of the fastest readers I know, so when I was reading it, it pretty much turned into a rap which I found slightly offputting.
2.) Though it was a good story, I thought there could have been a bit more detail describing the characters. (besides the ponies)
3.) It wasn't quite what was expecting. I thought it would follow the storyline of- Girl without a home loses hope, cries herself to sleep and wakes up in Equestria surrounded by ponies that love and care for her through Christmas where she happily lives out the rest of her days.


Anyways, now for the review- Out of ten total points: 7/10
Keep writing. This might not have been my favorite, but It takes a hell of a lot of talent to write a fic that gets more likes than dislikes and has so much poetic imput- (seriously, the fact that everything rhymed was an incredible feat.)

3652903 That was the original plan but I decided against it. I wanted something unique, and I think it is. But I have a long way to go. Thanks, I hope I continue to impress in the future.

A nice, heartwarming tale of the true meaning of Christmas. I liked the rhyming.

Took me long enough to get to this. I am going to move it to the accepted fic folder in the PDG group because it is deep in thought.

Login or register to comment