• Published 5th Jan 2014
  • 41,975 Views, 7,805 Comments

A New World, a New Way - zeusdemigod131



To protect his Pokemon from harm Arceus has moved most of his worlds populus to Equestria in hopes that they can live in peace, but peace is often harder to obtain than one might think.

  • ...
171
 7,805
 41,975

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 52

No one could say Ash Ketchum was a stranger to the unusual or dangerous.

He had fought just about every Pokemon that came to mind when someone said. ‘I wouldn’t want to be the guy fighting THAT!’ He had met and even befriended some of the most powerful creatures on the planet. He had even saved the planet on more than one occasion. Heck, he was probably one of the only people on the planet who had spent time as a Pokemon BEFORE the transfer.

So, when he was suddenly scooped out of the clearing he had set up camp in and carried into the sky, he reacted with the calm demeanor of someone who had stared death in the face on multiple occasions and lived to tell about it.

“WAAHHH!” Or at least that’s what he would tell everyone when he retold the story.

Ash had his eyes shut tightly as he was carried out of the clearing, but he heard a soft giggle, and felt a pair of three clawed hands press him against an... incredibly soft chest covered in light down.

Wait a minute, Ash thought to himself. Red, down, claws... “L-Latias?”

Another slight giggle met Ash’s ears and he suddenly found himself being held in front of a smiling red and white face. “Hi Ash!” Latias said with a smile, nuzzling Ash as she did. “It’s soooo good to see you again.”

Ash blinked once, then smiled. “It’s good to see you again too Latias... how have things been in Altomare?”

Latias’ smiled drooped slightly. “... Okay, Bianca went to art school a few years back, and Lorenzo... well, he tries,” she perked up again. “But that’s okay! I made some new friends, and was... reunited with my oldest one,” she grinned at him. “And now I found you! So... yay!” She hugged the Pikachu against her chest again.

Ash smiled, he’d forgotten just how adorable Latias could be, that thought also made him feel kinda... guilty, for not having visited her... or Misty more often... or Dawn, or May, or Iris, or... or try to track down Mewtwo... or...

Ash shook his head, unfortunately, as he did this, he looked down and saw that he and Latias were what looked to be a good thousand feet in the air. “Latias? Why are we so high up?”

Latias blinked and looked down, as if noticing their height for the first time. “Oh... I wanted to see you silly!” She bopped him on his nose before lifting him onto her back with Psychic. “And I wanted to talk to you and... I got excited... oops.”

Ash let out a small chuckle and patted Latias on the back. “It’s alright, but why don’t you-”

“Hold that thought.” Ash felt some kind of Psychic belt clamp down around him. “There’s something I want to show you.”

Before Ash could even ask what she was talking about, Latias took off like a rocket, her ascent slanted upwards.

After a few minutes, the air around them began to grow thin and cold. Shivering, Ash wrapped his arms around himself.

Noticing his discomfort, Latias slowed slightly and put a force field around them before flipping over and holding Ash against her chest again. “That better?” She asked him, smiling softly.

Ash nodded and nestled against her. “Yeah, thanks.”

Ash didn’t notice the light blush that crept onto Latias’ face.

At this point, Ash had resigned himself to the idea that Latias would take him back down when she wanted to. He was comforted by the fact that he knew she wouldn’t let him fall.

“Alright Ashy,” she said, coming to a stop, floating on her back and looking down at Ash.

Ash rubbed his eyes, blurry from the flight up, and stared at the sky around him. From their current vantage point, Ash could see the stars set against the dark backdrop of space, and he could see the world curve off in the distance.

“Whoa,” Ash gasped. “How high up are we?”

“The Stratosphere,” Latias informed him. “I come here to think sometimes cause it’s quiet, and serene, and beautiful.”

“It is,” Ash said with a nod.

Latias leaned forward expectantly, as if expecting him to say something else.

When nothing else came, she sighed, then smiled. “You know Ash, you make a really cute Pikachu.” Latias cooed, nuzzling the little Electric type.

Ash crossed his arms and grumbled. “I’m not cute, why does everyone keep saying that?”

“Cause you are,” she smiled and hugged him. “And don’t act so surprised, you were cute when you were a human too.”

Ash blinked at that. “Really?” He asked, sounding slightly confused.

Latias laughed. “Of course silly,” she lightly swatted his shoulder. “It’s one of the reasons I kissed you... that and your bravery, and kindness, and... Ashy?”

Ash was staring at Latias with a look that seemed to be a mixture of shock and horror. “Th-that was you?!” He asked. “I thought it was Bianca!”

Latias rolled her eyes. “Nope, I mean Bianca told me she liked you, but not that much.”

Ash continued to stare for a moment. “So... my first kiss...”

“Was with me!” Latias chirped, nuzzling him again. “It was so cute, how flustered you got afterwards.”

“Heh... yeah,” Ash said, shaking his head. “So... why did you kiss me again?”

“Cause of how much you helped me,” Latias said. “And like I said, I thought you were cute.”

Ash laughed nervously, this day had quickly moved from reuniting with old friends, to finding out his first (and so far only) kiss had been with a Pokemon. It was a lot to take in at once.

“Ashy?” Latias asked. “Are you okay? You got all quiet all of a sudden.”

“Uh... yeah, I’m alright,” Ash said, shaking his head again. “It’s just... Latias... do you... like me?”

Latias giggled. “Of course I like you,” she answered. “Why else would I have dragged you up here?”

“I thought you wanted to show me... all of this,” he gestured towards the horizon.

“I did,” Latias said. “I wanted to show you my favorite place in the world.” She nuzzled Ash again, a soft smile on her face.

Ash stared blankly at the Legendary.

“Wh-what’s wrong Ash?” Latias asked, worry on her face. “Did... did I say something wrong?”

Ash’s ears perked up as he heard the worry in her voice. “N-no!” He said, waving his arms. “I mean... it’s just that-”

Latias sniffled. “Y-you don’t like me? Do you?”

“N-well I mean,” Ash rubbed the back of his head. “I, uh, I mean you’re my friend and-”

“N... no, I get it,”Latias sniffled again and looked away. “It was stupid of me to think you would like me... I always end up falling for the guy who doesn’t like me.”

“Aw come on,” Ash said, fully aware that he was several miles in the sky, sitting on top of a girl who’d just told him she liked her, and that she was now crying. “I’m sure you’ll meet a nice guy who-”

“B-but I won’t!” Latias sniffed. “E-every Pokemon is too afraid of Arceus and my brother to court me, a-and,” her bottom lip quivered. “And I keep falling for guys like you, w-who,”

Ash watched as Latias began to cry. “Come on,” he patted Latias’ belly. “Don’t be like that... please stop crying.”

“I... I’ll put you back,” Latias said. “I shouldn’t have bothered you.”

Before Ash could protest, he felt himself being Teleported and found himself back on the ground.

“Latias,” Ash said. “Come on, talk to me.”

Latias looked down at him. “I... I don’t blame you Ash, it’s my fault that... well,” she blushed softly, then leaned down and planted a kiss on his lips.

“I love you Ash Ketchum.”

“THAT I LOVE YOU ASH KETCHUM!”

Ash jumped and Latias eeped as they heard a shout off to their left. They both turned to see a Vaporeon standing there, panting.

“Misty?” Ash asked.

Misty froze, then turned. “Oh you’ve gotta be kidding me!”


Misty stormed through Whitetail Woods, her tail flicking irritably behind her. “Why can’t anything ever be simple for me,” she grunted as she jumped over a fallen branch. “I would’ve stayed with Ash, but no, those three had to have their cruise.”

Misty shook her head. “Then we come here, and I get stuck like this,” Misty glared down at her paws. “But that’s okay, I met a lot of nice ponies, and Pokemon, including one of my old friends.”

Misty sighed. “And after everything that happened, I met Ash again, and just when I’m finally about to tell him how I feel. He. Gets. Kidnapped. What are the odds of that happening?”

Misty frowned. “Considering how many times it happened when I was with him, I really should have expected this.” She chuckled softly. “Arceus Ash, how do you end up in this situations?”

Misty sat down and shook her head. “I just... why does this.... GAAHH!” Misty stood up. “Is it too much to ask,” she said through gritted teeth. “That he NOT get kidnapped right before I... before I say that.... that...” she closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and shouted. “THAT I LOVE YOU ASH KETCHUM.”

Misty stood there panting for a minute. “Misty?”

Misty froze and turned to see Ash sitting there, on top of a familiar red and white Pokemon. “Oh you’ve got to be kidding me!”


Ash had a blank look on his face as he hopped off of Latias. “Misty... you and... Latias and... what?” While Ash was trying to figure just what was going on, Misty and Latias were glaring at each other. “Just... both of you? Really?”

Misty looked at Ash, a deep blush lighting up her blue skin. “Um... yes,” she answered. “For a... a really long time actually.”

“Ever since I met you really,” Latias admitted.

Ash shook his head. “Okay... wow... I honestly never noticed.”

“I know,” Misty said, rolling her eyes. “You’re a great Pokemon Trainer Ash, but... no offense, but when it come to love, you’re kind of a block head.”

Latias giggled. “You really didn’t realize I was the one who kissed you? I mean... Bianca would’ve said something afterwards.”

“I didn’t think a Pokemon would kiss me!” Ash defended.

“What about Bayleef?” Misty asked. “You knew she liked you... after we pointed it out to you.”

“I was eleven!” Ash shouted, he took a deep breath. “Okay, I’m really sorry that I didn’t realize either of you had feelings for me.”

“It’s okay Ashy,” Latias said, floating over to him and nuzzling him again.

Misty let out a small snarl before walking over to Ash. “Yeah... now you know.. and you and I can-”

“I think you mean you and I can-” Latias began, one of her claws grabbing Ash’s shoulder.

Misty grabbed Ash the best she could with her paws. “Sorry, but Ash has known me longer.”

“That means nothing, he’s known Pikachu longer than you,” Latias countered. “And besides that, I was his first and second kiss.” She giggled again. “And he was mine too.”

Misty glared at Latias, then looked at Ash and smiled before kissing him softly on the lips. Misty smiled while Ash’s eyes widened. “I’ve been waiting a long time to do that.”

Latias huffed. “He’s mine.” Latias tried to pull Ash away from Misty. “He saved my life! And he did his best to comfort me after I lost my brother!”

“No, He’s mine.” Misty pulled back. “He helped me on my journey! And he was the first boy who didn’t compare me to my sisters! And I’ve known him for literally years unlike you who knew him for a day!”

“I waited for him to come back to me! I would’ve gone with him if I could’ve!”

“Well so did I!” Misty shouted back. “I didn’t want to leave! But my sisters just had to go on their stupid cruise!”

“My. Brother. Died!”

“Well he’s fine now!” Misty shouted.

“What?” Ash asked.

“Now let go!” Misty tried to pull Ash from Latias’ grasp.

Latias growled. “No way! I confessed first!” Latias tugged Ash harder.

“We said it at the same time!” Misty pulled back.

“Well... he told me I was cute!”

“Yeah, like a puppy!”

“G-girls?” Ash’s arms were beginning to hurt.

“Besides,” Misty snapped. “Aren’t you like a thousand years old?”

“What’s that suppose to mean?!” Latias cried indignantly.

Misty smirked. “I’m just saying, why would he want to date someone old enough to be his great, great, GREAT, grandmother?”

Latias glared daggers at Misty. “You... you’re just jealous because I got him first! And you’re last!”

Misty’s glare hardened as Latias said that, it reminded her of the insults her sisters had thrown at her before she’d gone on her journey with Ash, the words she’d been tormented with throughout her childhood.

“He’s mine!” Misty shouted at Latias, yanking Ash towards her.

“No! He’s mine!” Latias pulled him back.

Misty snarled. “Let go you cougar!”

“I am not old you little whelp! And I least I was pretty before we came here!”

Misty growled. “Listen here you giant red bit-”

“Thunderbolt!”

Latias and Misty turned just in time to see an arc of electricity connect with them. “GAAAAHHHH!”

Misty and Latias let go of Ash and fell to the ground. Ash shook his head and sighed. “Thanks Pikachu.”

Pikachu smiled at Ash. “Anytime bro...” he surveyed the scene before him and shook his head. “Misty and Latias were fighting over you?”

Ash nodded. “Yeah, apparently they’re both in love with me, weird huh?”

Pikachu just sighed heavily.

Ash looked over at Misty and Latias, both of whom were struggling to their feet... or back into the air.

“Are you two alright?” Ash asked.

“I’m okay Ashy,” Latias said. “He’s powerful, but I can take it...”

Misty, on the other hand, was having some trouble, she was a Water type, and that attack had hurt like hell.

Ash ran over to Misty and helped her to her feet. “Sorry Misty,” Pikachu called. “But I was worried that if you two pulled him anymore you would’ve torn him in two.”

“I... I... It’s okay P... Pikachu,” Misty stammered, she could almost feel the electricity coursing through his body.

Ash smiled, he was glad they were alright. “Well... I’m glad you two are alright,” he took a few steps back, safely out of grabbing distance. “So...” he began, rubbing the back of his head. “I... I don’t know what to do here, I think I need to talk to someone... maybe Brock will-”

“Nope,” Pikachu grabbed Ash and pulled him after him. “You’re going to go talk to your mom... or at least the Professor... anyone but Brock.”

Misty and Latias watched as Ash and Pikachu walked off, then slowly turned to face each other. “He will be mine,” Misty swore.

“Not if I get him first!”


Twilight paced back and forth in front of the Ponyville school house, today was the day she and Juniper had scheduled their Pokemon lesson and Twilight was, as Pinkie would say, nervouscited.

“Twilight calm down,” Juniper said. “You’re making me nervous.”

“Sorry, I just can’t help it,” Twilight said, continuing her pacing. “I mean... this is really, really big.”

“That’s why we have Samuel coming to help us,” Juniper smiled and put a hand on her friends shoulder. “He’ll be here any minute, then we go in, I do some preliminary introductions, and then Samuel takes over, easy peasy, one two three.”

Twilight smiled. “Yeah... yeah you’re right,” she looked around. “Where is Professor Oak anyway?”

As Twilight said that, a blue flash announced the Professor’s arrival as he Teleported onto the playground, along with Tracey.

The Smeargle stumbled a bit as he Teleported in, as he was carrying several folders in his hands, but Professor Oak simply smiled.

“Good, glad that worked right,” he looked over to Twilight and Juniper and smiled again. “Ah, Twilight, Aurea,” he greeted them with a nod. “Thank you once again for inviting me to do this, it’s been some time since I last gave a speech in front of a class and I must say, I very much enjoy doing it.”

“Well thank you for accepting,” Twilight said with a smile. “I’m sure Juniper would’ve done great on her own, but I’m still new to this.”

“It’s my pleasure,” Oak assured her. “Now then, why don’t you go get them ready while Tracey and I make sure we have everything?”

Twilight smiled and nodded. “Sounds like a plan,” she opened the school door and was greeted by the sounds of a dozen excited foals. Twilight sighed and trotted inside.

“I’ll call you when we’re ready,” Juniper said before floating into the room.

Twilight and Juniper made their way to the front of the class, where Miss Cheerilee was doing her best to quiet down the foals, as well as their Pokemon.

“Need some help?” Juniper asked.

“I swear, they’re usually a lot more well behaved,” Cheerilee sighed.

Juniper laughed. “It’s alright, I’m sure they’re just excited... now hold on a second.” Juniper closed her eyes and concentrated on her psychic powers. A few seconds later, a high pitched buzzing sound rang in everyone’s minds.

“Sorry about that,” Juniper apologized once everyone had quieted down. “But now that I have your attention...” The Beheeyem cleared her throat. “My name is Professor Juniper and I’m sure you all know Princess Twilight already,”

Twilight waved at the class, several of the foals flinched, remembering the last time Twilight had spoken in class.

“And this,” Juniper signaled Oak mentally, and the Alakazam walked into the room, followed by Tracey. “Is Professor Oak, and his assistant Tracey.”

“Hello everyone, it’s great to be here,” Professor Oak said with a smile.“Now, as your teacher has likely informed you, today we’ll be teaching you a bit about Pokemon.”

Everyone perked back up.

“But before we can start with anything too specific, we need to cover the basics,” Juniper looked around and smiled when she saw the chalkboard, psychically pulling it over to her, she began.

“‘Pokemon is the name given to a collective race of creatures that lived alongside humans back on Earth. They come in many shapes, sizes, and forms, and each are different in their own way. Some Pokemon are strong and fast, while others are slow but durable. Up till the point before all of us were moved to this world, there were over eight hundred known species of Pokemon, and that was including the Legendary Pokemon who are currently in the Hall of Legends in the Everfree,” Juniper explained.

“But, why are they called Pokemon if they all look different?” Dinky asked.

Juniper blinked...or she would have blinked if she could. “Well...to be honest, no one knows...at least no humans still alive know. The term has been used for millennia, even dating back to the Kalos wars 3000 years ago, so if there was a reason behind the name, I would guess it was the name given by Arceus to his collective creations, which has been in use for longer than anyone can remember,” she explained.

“Wow, that’s older than Equestria,” Sweetie Belle said.

Juniper chuckled. “Anyway,” she continued. “Overtime, to better understand the Pokemon, particularly in terms of their general nature and abilities, humans classified them into types. As of recently, there are now eighteen known different types used to classify the Pokemon. They are: Dragon, Ghost, Ground, Flying, Poison, Bug, Water, Electric, Rock, Grass, Dark, Ice, Normal, Fire, Fighting, Steel, Psychic, and Fairy,” she said, writing down each type on the chalkboard as she listed them down.

The foals looked a little overwhelmed, but a few moments later, Button Mash’s hoof shot up. “Which type is the strongest?”

Hearing that, Professor Oak chuckled, remembering how many new trainers asked that question. “All types have their strengths and weaknesses, so really, none of them are better than the other. For example, many people think Normal-type Pokemon are weak since they don’t have an advantage against any particular type. However, what many people forget, is that not only are Normal-type Pokemon immune to Ghost-type attacks, they are also very versatile, with many able to learn moves from other types. In other words, a Pokemon’s true strength does not come from its type alone, but from its training, and the bond it shares with its trainer,” he explained. “Now then, since we’ve covered some of the basics of Pokemon, we’ll move on to a more detailed explanation of some of the more well known types, namely Fire, Grass, and Water. Scootaloo, Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, may I borrow your Pokemon for a moment?”

“Sure thing, Professor,” Scootaloo said. “Come on Charmander.”

Scootaloo and Charmander, followed by Sweetie Belle and Squirtle, and Applebloom and Bulbasaur, made their way to the front of the classroom to stand by Professor Oak.

The Professor smiled and turned to the rest of the class. “Now, these three Pokemon are known as Charmander, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle,” he indicated each Pokemon as he said their names. “Would anyone like to guess which type of Pokemon they are?”

The foals were all silent for a moment, this had to be some kind of trick. “Charmander is on fire, so I’m gonna say fire,” Snips finally spoke up.

Professor Oak chuckled. “Yes, I suppose that one was rather obvious wasn’t it?”

The class laughed.

“Well, moving on, Bulbasaur is a Grass type, and Squirtle a Water type,” Oak finished.

“Why is Charmander on fire?” Silver Spoon asked. “Should we like, be worried or something?”

“No no,” Oak assured. “Charmander’s tail fire is where its inner fire leaks out, as well as its life force.”

Once again, everyone fell silent. “... what?” Scootaloo asked.

“Charmander’s life force is tied to the flame on its tail,” Oak restated.

“So if the flame went out...” Scootaloo’s eyes widened in realization.

“Yes,” Professor Oak said with a sigh. “If a Charmander’s flame goes out, then the Charmander dies.”

Cheerilee turned to Professor Oak, horrified that he had just outright said that in a room full of children.

Juniper saw that several of the foals looked horrified as well, including Scootaloo, who had just given Charmander a quick hug when she thought no one was looking.

“Professor Oak?” Juniper began. “Why don’t we move on to Evolution?”

The Alakazam smiled. “Oh of course, we don’t have all day,” he nodded to Tracey. “Now, how many of you here have heard of Evolution?”

To Oak’s surprise, every foal in the room raised a hoof.

“We had a biology unit a few weeks ago,” Miss Cheerilee said with a smile.

Professor Oak raised an eyebrow, then sighed. “I meant Evolution relating specifically to Pokemon,” slowly, the number of hooves raised dropped down to one, Oak smiled. “Well Miss...”

“Dinky Doo,” Dinky said with a grin.

“Miss Doo, would you like to tell us what you know about Evolution?” This had ought to be cute, he thought to himself.

Dinky stood up on her desk and turned around. “Evolution is a process that Pokemon go through as they grow, it can be triggered when they grow in power or age, or by their emotions, or even by outside stimuli. During Evolution, a Pokemon grows into a more powerful form, changing shape, and sometimes even type as it does. When a Pokemon Evolves, it goes from being one species to another, Veevee here, for example,” Dinky patted the little Eevee sitting next to her. “Could Evolve into a Vaporeon, or a Sylveon, or several other Pokemon... though most Pokemon only have one form they can Evolve into.”

As Dinky sat back down at her desk, a smile on her face, everyone stared at her, mouths hanging open.

“Dinky,” Twilight began, slightly awed. “How... how did you know that?”

“Some nice Pokemon told my daddy about it, and I was in the T... in the room while they were talking,” Dinky answered, her smile never falling.

“...well, that’s certainly interesting,” Oak chuckled. “Anyway, she’s absolutely right. Most Pokemon are only able to evolve into a single form at a time, though there are a few rare exceptions where a Pokemon can Evolve into more than one form, though the method is different for each form. Eevee are the most renowned Pokemon in terms of Evolution, being able to evolve into 8 known forms, though its been speculated that they could evolve into even more forms.”

“Oh! I have another question!” Button called, waving his hoof in the air. “What do you mean when you say a Pokemon changes forms?”

Oak smiled. “I’m glad you asked. Tracey? The drawings please.”

“Right away, Professor,” The Smeargle nodded and pulled three pieces of paper from one of the folders before pinning them up on the blackboard.

The first depicted a large orange dragon, wings spread as if it were flying, fire streaming from its maw. The second showed a blue and brown turtle with cannons sprouting from its back, twin streams of water blasting from them. The final picture was of a greenish-blue dinosaur like creature with a large flower growing from its back.

“These are the final Evolved forms of Charmander, Squirtle, and Bulbasaur respectively,” the Professor said. “Each one of them-”

“You’re gonna be a Dragon!?” Scootaloo shouted. “That. Is. So. AWESOME!!” Her wings buzzed with excitement.

“Actually,” Juniper interrupted. “Charizard is a Fire/Flying type Pokemon, not a Dragon type.”

“And as I was about to say,” Oak continued. “Charmanders Evolve into a Pokemon called Charmeleon, then into Charizard.”

“Still. So. Awesome,” Scootaloo imagined riding around on a Charizard, raining fiery destruction down upon her enemies, for a second, she glanced at Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara.

Meanwhile, Sweetie Belle was looking at the picture of the Blastoise. “So Squirtle’s gonna turn into that?” She asked.

“After he Evolves into Wartortle,” Oak answered with a nod, then he chuckled. “Though not all Pokemon choose to Evolve. In fact, there is a Bulbasaur that belongs to a good friend of mine. I know for a fact that he’s more than ready to evolve, yet he chose not to for his own reasons.”

“Ah think I kinda get why,” Applebloom muttered under her breath. “So does Bulbasaur have a second form too?”

Oak nodded. “Yes, before becoming a Venusaur, a Bulbasaur Evolves into an Ivysaur.”

“Do all Pokemon Evolve?” Rumble asked, gesturing to the Rufflet perched on his shoulder.

“Well, not all of them. There a many Pokemon who don’t evolve, or at the very least, don’t have any evolved forms that we are aware of,” he smiled at the colt. “But Rufflets do Evolve.”

“You mentioned something about... training? A while back,” Pip remembered. “What did you mean by that?”

“Trainers actually,” Professor Oak corrected. “And put simply, a Pokemon Trainer is a person who travels, battles with, and captures Pokemon on a journey, in hopes of discovering something about themselves, while helping their Pokemon grow along the way.”

“What kind of journey?” Diamond Tiara inquired.

“Back on Earth, when a boy or girl turned ten years old,” Oak began. “They’re given what’s referred to as a ‘Starter Pokemon’, then they start on a journey, with most usually challenging some battle institutions called Gyms to prove their strength and take on the Pokemon League, others just travel from place to place, meeting people and Pokemon alike, and still others compete with their Pokemon in events called contests, which rely less on pure battle strength and more on ingenuity.”

Once again, everyone in the room had fallen silent. “So... what you’re saying,” Button Mash began. “Is that as long as we have a Pokemon-”

“No, no, no, no, no!” Cheerilee shouted, waving her hooves. “You cannot go off on some kind of globe trotting journey! You’re children for Celestia’s sake.”

There were several cries of disappointment from the foals, and Cheerilee glared at Professor Oak. “What were you thinking?”

“What?” Oak asked innocently. “I was just answering their questions.”

“You told them that if they have a Pokemon they can go off on their own and wouldn’t have to go to school anymore!” Cheerilee snapped.

Oak continued to stare at the mare in confusion.

“You can’t be serious,” she deadpanned. “What did you think-”

“Cultural differences Cheerilee,” Twilight reminded her. “Just let it go.”

Cheerilee sighed, but dropped the subject.

“So did... Trainers, walk everywhere with their Pokemon?” Silver Spoon asked. “Cause the other day I was out for a walk and I saw this HUGE snake thing that looked like it was made of boulders.”

“An Onix or Steelix,” the Professor said with a nod. “And no, Trainers didn’t walk everywhere with their Pokemon... well some did but most carried their Pokemon around in devices called Pokeballs.”

A second too late, Twilight realized where the Professor was going. “Professor-”

“Now before any of you ask,” he continued, holding up a hand to stop any questions. “Let me explain, a Pokeball is a device designed to encapsulate a Pokemon, regardless of their size, and store them in a space about oh, the size of a ball. It did this by converting the Pokemon into energy and holding them until their Trainer let them out again.”

As Oak finished, the room was filled with a deathly silence. Every foal who had a Pokemon with them looked at their friends, then back at the Professor in horror. “W... why would anyone do that?” Sweetie Belle asked, wrapping her forelegs around Squirtle.

“It made it easier for Trainers to bring their Pokemon with them, especially the larger ones or ones normally confined to bodies of water,” Oak replied, slightly confused at the looks he was getting.

“B-but,” Applebloom began.

“That’s like, soo mean!” Diamond Tiara shouted, hugging her Carbink.

Before Oak could say anything else, Twilight trotted up to him, pulled his ear down to her height, and whispered what Arceus had said about Pokeballs to him.

“Ah... I see... I suppose that does make sense that he’d feel that way,” despite his calm demeanor, the color drained from Oak’s face as Twilight spoke.

While Twilight had the Alakazam distracted, Cheerilee stepped forward. “Class... why don’t you all head out to recess a bit early today? We’ll continue afterwards.”

Wordlessly, and far more silently than a class let out to recess early should have been capable of, the foals filed out of the building.

“Well,” Juniper said once they were gone. “I suppose that could’ve ended worse.”

“How?” Cheerilee asked. “First he tells them that thing about going on a journey, then he tells them about those.... things! How could it be worse?”

Juniper thought for a moment, then sighed. “No, you’re right, that was pretty bad.”

“Miss Cheerilee, I am so so sorry,” Oak said apologetically. “I didn’t think about how they would react, Pokeballs are more or less universally accepted back on Earth.”

“*cough*Team Plasma*cough*,” Juniper coughed.

Cheerilee sighed. “Just... do something a bit cheerier when they come back in okay?”

Oak nodded. “I promise.”


Delia Ketchum, like most mothers, had always told her son that he could come to her with any problem, that she would always do everything she could to help him through the rough patches in his life. The fact that he was twenty-three and that this was the first time he had come to her with girl trouble didn’t change that, though she wished it was a little more... well, normal.

“So apparently Misty has been in love with me since at least Johto, and Latias has been in love with me since what happened in Altomare,” Ash restated. “And... I don’t know what to do.”

“Well... what is your heart telling you?” She knew that was a long shot, but she had a little hope that-

“I don’t want to hurt either of them and... I don’t think I love either of them either... not yet at least, they’re my friends, I never saw them like that.”

“Oh Ash,” Delia sighed. “You are so, so, so...” dense. “Sweet,” she said, stroking his head.

“I don’t understand why they like me,” Ash muttered. “I mean, yeah, I saved Latias, but why would she love me for that?”

Did I ever talk to Ash about love? Maybe this is because his father was never around. “Because what you did for her was very brave Ash, and I’m sure she thinks you’re a sweet, brave boy.”

Ash sighed again. “Everyone keeps telling me that.”

Delia sighed again. “Listen to me Ash,” she held him up to her eye level and looked into his eyes. “I can’t tell you how to feel, or who to choose, you have to decide for yourself, but I can tell you that I’ll support you no matter who you choose, and I know you’ll do everything you can to keep from hurting the other.” Secretly, Delia was hoping he would pick Misty, but she supposed it wouldn’t be so bad if he chose Latias. Other than the fact that Misty would be utterly heartbroken, and that she would have to comfort the poor girl.

Ash smiled at his mother, then frowned. “Isn’t there anyway I don’t end up hurting one of them and possibly losing a friend?”

Delia sighed. “No matter what... one of them is going to get hurt, but I don’t think you’ll lose a friend.”

Ash frowned. He was glad there was chance he wouldn’t lose a friend, but he didn’t think he could hurt one of them, especially if they started crying.

There’s gotta be a way that this all works out, Ash thought. There’s always a way. As Ash thought, he didn’t come up with anything until he offhandedly considered one idea. No way that could work... right?

Delia set down her son and smiled at him. “So, do you at least have an idea of what you’re going to do?”

Ash smiled and nodded. “Yeah... yeah I think I do.” He smiled up at her. “Thanks mom.”

Delia grinned. “Anytime you need me dear.”

After that, Ash excused himself, saying he had to think a little more, and as he ran off, Delia got a gut feeling that something... she didn’t know what, but something was going to happen. “I should've asked what he planned to do,” she realized as a chill ran down her back.


Professor Oak was glad to see that, despite the somber mood the foals had all left in, recess had apparently lifted their spirits.

He smiled as they all returned to their seats. “Welcome back everyone,” he said with a nod.

“Uh... Professor?” Scootaloo began. “Why is May here? And who’s the giant rabbit?”

“I’m a Lopunny,” Dawn said, crossing her arms. “Get it right.”

“Well, after how things ended, I thought we’d focus on a more cheerful topic,” Oak explained.

“Contests?” Sweetie asked excitedly.

Oak blinked. “... exactly... how did you-?”

“May’s been teaching me,” Sweetie Belle said proudly. “I’m gonna be a Pokemon Coordinator.”

Oak smiled and chuckled. “Alright then, May? Dawn? You have the floor.”

“Thank you Professor,” May said, she stepped forward and smiled at the class. “Well... hi. I’m May and this is Dawn.”

“Hello,” Dawn greeted with a small wave.

“And we’re Pokemon Coordinators,” May said with a grin. “What that means is that, like Trainers, we capture and train Pokemon, but instead of competing in Gym Battles, we compete in Contests, which are events held that showcase a Pokemon and a Trainers connection, as well as their ingenuity as a team and, often time, the Pokemon’s beauty.”

“What do you mean by ingenuity?” Dinky asked.

“Well, in a Gym Battle, the goal is to knockout your opponent with attacks before they knock you out,” Dawn answered. “In a Contest, you have to wow the judges with move without attacking other Pokemon... at least in the qualifying round.”

“A Pokemon Contest is actually two parts,” May continued. “The first is where you qualify for the Contest by showcasing your talent and beauty, and the second round is the Battle Round, where you battle other Coordinators while still showing your talent and beauty.”

“And unlike Gym Battles, the Contest battles only last five minutes, and each Coordinator starts out with a point bar, with the goal being to lower your opponents bar and for it to be lower than yours when the battle ends.” Dawn finished.

“I’m still confused,” Button said. “If you’re battling, then what’s the difference?”

Dawn sighed, then smiled. “I guess we’ll have to show you... follow me.”

Dawn made her way out of the building, followed by May, the children all looked at each other and shrugged before rushing after them.

Once outside, they saw Dawn standing, hands on her hip, next to Piplup. “Everyone, this is Piplup. He and I are going to show you one of our Contest moves.”

“So pay attention,” Piplup said.

The foals watched as Piplup took a position several yards from the school. “Alright Piplup, this won’t take long, jump in the air, spin, and use Bubblebeam.” Dawn ordered

“Ah, the old classic,” Piplup did as he was told and jumped upward while using Bubblebeam, spinning in the air, the bubbles formed a circle around him, they floated in the air for a moment, forming what looked very much like a nebula, before bursting from one end to the other in a circle. “Easy peasy,” Piplup said cockily.

Sweetie Belle grinned at the sight of the move. She had a move to work on with Squirtle now.

Dawn smiled and turned back to the foals. “And that’s how you do a Contest move,” she said, looking over the gathered foals, some seemed impressed, some seemed kinda bored. “Any questions?”

Author's Note:

Well... yep, that's Ash for ya. Clueless to the end and now... you'll see.

PreviousChapters Next