• Published 10th Mar 2012
  • 3,803 Views, 73 Comments

Chaos and Anarchy - -Mazer



When Celestia vanishes, Luna and Twilight Sparkle must seek advice from an old enemy to find her.

  • ...
4
 73
 3,803

Broken Rainbows

“I paid him a visit. When I found him, I tore out his heart…”

’How did you know that I was a doctor?’ he asked,”

'Elementary. First there is the stain just above your left cuff – a stain that comes not from bleach but from anesthetic. Then I noticed the scar on your right cheek, just above the jaw that has been expertly sewn together, however judging by the size of the scar it is easy to deduct that the person who had sewn the wound close was none other than you, yourself as any other stallion would have been able to do a cleaner job. Of course you have the odor of a man who works within the hospitals and the eyes of someone who has seen his fair share of death. The rest just fell into place. Quite obvious, really.’

Rainbow Dash squealed with delight. “This is amazing! Who would have known such a dorky stallion could be so awesome?” She was reading a Study in Sapphire, a novel that she had borrowed from Twilight. The story was about the famous detective Sherlock Hooves and his partner Jielin H. Watson. Together they would travel the countryside in search of criminals. It might not be as action-packed as Daring Do, but it was still very fascinating. Rainbow just loved the fact that Sherlock Hooves was able to deduce so many things about a pony just by looking at them. “I can totally do this,” she whispered to herself. “All I need to do is observe, not look. Observe, not look.” She set the book down on her cloud-table and poked her head out her bedroom window. She saw several Pegasus going about their afternoon. She spied Derpy trotting along the clouds, her clueless face betraying no emotion other than sheer, child-like glee. “Alright, Derpy. Let’s see what you’ve been up too today.”

Dash looked Derpy up and down, trying her best to take in as many details as possible. The only thing she was able to deduce, however, was that Derpy was returning home after working at the Pony Express and the only reason Dash was able to figure that out was because Derpy always walked past Rainbow’s home during this time. “I guess I need more practice,” Rainbow Dash mumbled. She jumped back onto her bed while fetching her new book from her table.

“Dash!” An excited, familiar voice cried out. Dash bolted out of her bed, clinging to the cloudy ceiling of her room. She glared down towards the foot of her bed where little Scootaloo was standing, her purple eyes wide with heroic worship, a large smile upon her face. “Hey!”

“Scootaloo,” Dash said while rolling her eyes. “What are you doing here?”

“I just wanted to stop by and say hello! I was really hoping that we could do something today.”

Dash rolled her eyes then dropped herself back down onto her bed. “You don’t need to come sneaking into my room to ask me that. Where are your friends? Don’t you guys usually hang out on this day?”

Scootaloo made a face. “Apple Bloom is working with AppleJack on the farm, and Sweetie Belle is grounded for messing up Rarity’s new dress.”

Dash wrinkled her nose. “Rarity really needs to chill out about that stuff. Seriously, that’s all she ever does. Dress this, dress that,” she stuck out her tongue and pressed the back of her wrist to her forehead. “Oh woe is me! I chipped my hoof!” She flopped onto her back. “This. Is. The. Worst. Possible. Thing. Ever!”

Scootaloo giggled. “Sound just like her!” She hopped up onto the bed. “So, what I was thinking was because they are all busy, we could go out and do some loop-de-loops over Ponyville. What do you say?”

That caught Dash by surprise. “Do what, now?”

“Loop-de-loops.” Scootaloo grinned.

Sherlock Hooves’ voice echoed throughout Dash’s head. Observe, Watson. Don’t just look.. She gave Scootaloo a very careful once-over, from the tip of her mussy mane, to the bottom of her muddy hooves. “Scoot,” Dash said cautiously. “How did you get up here to Cloudsdale to begin with?”

“What do you mean?” Scootaloo asked.

“You can’t fly.” Dash pointed at Scootaloo’s tiny wings. “You’ve been struggling as long as I’ve known you.”

“Oh,” Scootaloo blinked. She flapped her wings pathetically. “Well, uhm, I got a ride from Pinkie-Pie. That’s all. She let me use her balloon.”

“But you can’t stand Pinkie-Pie. You said she gets on your nerves.”

“Well, I really wanted to see you, though.”

Dash narrowed her eyes. On closer inspection, she noticed that Scootaloo wasn’t standing on the clouds. She was actually hovering a few centimeters above the surface. “Alright,” Dash kicked her off the bed. “Who are you?” She jumped onto her back hooves and raised her front ones in a boxing stance. “You are not Scootaloo.”

Scootaloo rolled onto her stomach. To Dash’s surprise, her eyes had shifted from purple to blood red. “How impressive,” Scootaloo said in a deep, male voice. “You are the first pony to figure me out.” Scootaloo’s body began to stretch out, her orange coat tearing apart to expose hideous wings, a unicorn’s horn, a scaly dragon-like body and a very familiar face “Discord!” Rainbow hissed. “Wait,” she took a step back. “You are not Discord.”

“Indeed I am not. I am Anarchy, spirit of chaos and panic,” His smile exposed all of his tiny, razor-sharp teeth. “And you, my darling, are none other than the illustrious Rainbow Dash. I must say, I am quite impressed. None of your friends were able to figure it out.”

She felt her blood begin to boil. “What did you do to my friends?” she demanded. Anarchy reached down into the cloud floor and pulled up a chair made from storm clouds. Tiny bolts of lightning erupted from within the chair making it glow with an eerie light. “Your friends?” He tapped a claw against his chin. “Your friends, your friends. Yes, what did I do to them?” He clicked his claws together. “Oh yes! I remember now.” A clap of his paws and a silver cloud appeared in the air just to the right of his head. “Your darling Pinkie-Pie has been properly detained.” The image of Pinkie-Pie huddled up behind several barrels and crates appeared within the cloud. Dash gasped. She had never seen such despair on her friend’s face. Even after the death of her father, Pinkie never looked like this. “What did you do to her?” Dash demanded.

“Why, I fixed her, of course.” Anarchy purred. “That poor little dear was just too optimistic for the world. I mean, really, who goes around smiling all day? She just represses any and all of her emotions in order to save face. I freed her from such a burden, allowing pain and suffering to fill her heart to the brim. Now she has a clear understanding of the horrors life can bring.”

“You monster!” Dash lunged at Anarchy but he simply flicked her against the wall with a snap of his tail. “Please,” Anarchy replied. “Save the compliments. I haven’t even gotten to the best part.”

Dash felt her blood go from red-hot to icy cold. “What are you talking about?”

The silver cloud shifted, this time showing AppleJack sitting alone in her barn. “Poor AppleJack,” Anarchy whimpered, his bottom lip trembling. “Look at her, sitting there all alone, sad,” His frown turned into an ominous grin. “Full of deceit and doubt. She refuses to accept the truth even though the evidence is right there in front of her very eyes.”

“What truth?” Dash whispered.

“The truth of her sister’s passing away.” Anarchy replied. “Poor dear. She suffered a very nasty fall. Landed the wrong way, and snap! I bet she didn’t even feel a thing. As of this very moment, your dear friend AppleJack is hiding herself away from her family, refusing to believe that her sister is dead. She keeps telling herself that this is all a dream.” He chuckled. “How delightful.”

“Y-you…” Dash felt as if he had reached into her chest and plucked out her heart. She was trembling from both an unbridled rage and heart-wrenching depression.

“Oh, no, look!” Anarchy slithered onto the bed, wrapping his snake-like body around Dash while cupping her cheek in one of his large paws. “Look this is the best part. You see, poor Bloom wasn’t the only filly to meet her maker. Little Sweetie Belle did too, but Rarity is so engrossed with her work, she hasn’t even gone to the hospital to check.”

“Rarity would do no such thing!” Dash mumbled.

“Of course she would! You know how focused she can get when working on a project.” Anarchy giggled. “A little push from yours truly doesn’t hurt, though.” He unfurled himself from around Dash and sat back upon his lightning chair.

“So now you figure it’s my turn. Is that it?” Dash growled.

Anarchy laughed. “Oh, no, no, no. I am just in the mood for some company as I deal with your friend, that’s all.

“If you think for one second that I am just going to stand by as you mess with my friends…”

“Oh, you’ll find that you don’t have much of a choice in the matter.” He clapped his paws together. A heavy chain materialized itself around Rainbow, pinning her to the cloudy floor. “I’ve been looking forward to this little game.”

“What are you doing?” Dash growled as she tried to pry herself free from the chains.

“Do you know what I love weak little ponies the most?” Anarchy questioned. “It’s because they are the easiest to corrupt. You see, there are ponies like you who know how to fight back and then there are ponies like her,” he clapped his paws together. An image of Fluttershy appeared in his silver cloud. She was in her little cottage. It looked like she was in the middle of making a salad of some sort.

“You leave her alone!” Dash screamed. Her eyes were full of a crazed light. “Don’t you touch her!”

“Oh, I have no intention of touching her.” Anarchy mused. “That would be far too easy.” He reclined in his lightning chair. “Besides, everything I need is already inside of her.” He turned his dark, red eyes towards Dash. “You see, like your friend Pinkie-Pie, Fluttershy represses her emotions. Except where Pinkie represses sadness and worry, Fluttershy represses anger and hatred.” He turned his attention back to the cloud. “She is just a powder keg of negativity. All she needs is the right spark and…” He opened his claws wide. “Boom.” He laughed.

“I don’t care what any pony says,” Rainbow was grinding her teeth, digging her hooves into the cloud as hard as she could. “If you harm one hair in her mane, I will kill you.”

Anarchy’s eyes widened. “Did I just hear what I thought I heard?” He cupped his claw around the side of his head. “One of Celestia’s chosen ponies threatening to kill me? How out of character.” He clapped both paws over his mouth. “I am shocked and appalled!” He slithered on over to her. “So is this the true nature of the Element of Loyality?” He tilted his head, his red eyes glinting with maniacal intent. “Tell me, Rainbow Dash, would you fight for your friends?”

“Come closer and find out!” She replied, lifting both her hooves.

“Would you kill for them?”

Her eyes narrowed. “In a heartbeat,” She hissed.

His grin widened. “Would you die for them?

Dash’s expression faltered. “What did you say?”

He clapped and a little purple bottle appeared out of thin air. He caught it between two of his claws. “Would you die for your friends?”

She stared at the bottle as if hypnotized. “O-Of course I would! They would do the same for me.”

He nodded thoughfully. “I am so glad to hear that.” He summoned a hourglass next. “I want to play a game. This hourglass is set for ten minutes. Once the sand runs out, your little friend Fluttershy will lose everything she’s ever worked for.” He motioned towards the silver cloud. Fluttershy’s little bunny Angel was sitting down next to her as she prepared his meal. He was looking mighty annoyed with how slow Fluttershy was in preparing his meal.

“All you need to do, Rainbow Dash, is prove how loyal you truly are.” He held the bottle out to her. “Inside this bottle is a very toxic poison. All I want you to do is drink it. If you sacrifice your life for Fluttershy’s, I will break the hourglass and leave her be.” His smile became cruel. “However, if you refuse, I will break down those barriers within her heart and release all her pent up anger and frustration all at once.” He set the bottle in her hooves. “It is a very nasty venom. It’ll take you quite some time to die for it first must dissolve your body’s immune system. After that, it’ll eat away at your organs, liquefying them. You’ll bleed from the eyes, nose, mouth, and ears, and the pain will not stop until you breathed your very last breath. It’s the venom for a vicious serpent from a far away forest and there is no cure.”

He turned the hourglass upside down. He watched as the grains of sand began pouring through the narrow neck of the bottle. “Tick tock, tick tock.” He chuckled.

Dash stared at the bottle. Of course she could take it. She was the most loyalist of ponies in all of Equestria. So what was a little pain if it meant that her friend would be able to keep everything she cherishes?

She moved her hoof towards the cork. “I can do this,” She whispered to herself.

“Of course you can,” Anarchy encouraged her. “I mean, we all know that Fluttershy would do the very same thing in your position. We all know how brave she is.”

Dash nodded. “She would.” She bit down upon the cork.

Anarchy’s chuckled. “Go ahead. Open it. Take a nice deep breath and savor the scent of venom.” He leaned back in his chair. “I wonder what it would be like, laying here in the middle of your bedroom, dying alone, with no friends.” He pursed his lips while twirling a claw through his beard. “I imagine it wouldn’t be so bad at first but when you feel your insides begin to melt, it’ll be quite terrifying. Imagine, Rainbow, laying there in your own blood, knowing that not a single pony will come to your aid. You’ll be all alone, suffering, crying; the only thing you’d want is to be held but there will be no pony there to hold you.”

He ran his claws over his jaw. “I wonder what will be going through your head as you perish. Will you think of your friends? Or the parents you never knew? Maybe all those dreams you never got around to accomplishing. I’ve heard that you’ve become quite a fan of the Wonderbolts. Well, you never know. I may be defeated once Luna and Celestia learn of my antics. Your friends’ lives may recover for as we all know; time heals all wounds, but you wouldn’t be around to realize that. You’ll be dead. Buried. Your sacrifice will be in vain.” He slapped his knee while laughing. “Can you imagine? Being the only one of your friends who actually dies? Oh that will be delicious! Absolutely delicious! They will go one living and, eventually, they’ll forget about this terrible war. They’ll forget all about me, and they will forget about you.”

“They will never forget me,” Dash whispered. Her vision was getting blurry as she fought back tears. “I will be a hero.”

“A hero?” He fell off his chair while cackling. “Please! Do you remember the last time you were considered a hero? Your friends deceived you because they couldn’t handle you enjoying the spotlight. They were jealous of all the attention you were getting so they all dressed up to ruin your moment in the sun.”

“You don’t know what you are talking about,” she snapped at him.

“Do you know the most useful thing about being a spirit of chaos and hatred? It is the ability to delve into the minds of your friends and read their memories. I’ve seen every thought, every whisper, every secret that they have kept from you.” Anarchy peaked on over towards the hour glass. Three-quarters of the sand had already fallen.

Dash noticed this too. She looked up to Fluttershy who was in the process of being smacked in the fact by Angel Bunny. Apparently the spoiled little brat didn’t take too kindly to Fluttershy’s choice of lettuce. Dash felt a bolt of anger rise within her heart. She never liked that bunny. Angel was just a mean, self-centered, unappreciative jerk. Maybe he deserved whatever Fluttershy had in store for him.

No! Dash thought. I cannot think like that!

“And why not?” Anarcy cooed. “Isn’t it true? All that little rabbit does is smack your friend around. It completely ignores the fact that Fluttershy had rescued it from the forest. It has no appreciation for the time and effort she puts into making its meals.” Anarchy smiled. “Whatever will happen, it has it coming.” The hourglass was almost empty.

“I,” Dash stared up into Fluttershy’s eyes. Dash could see just how angry Fluttershy was becoming. It was just a matter of time.

She pulled the cork from the bottle.

Anarchy grew very still. “Know this, Rainbow Dash. The moment your lips touch that bottle, it will all be over. You are going to die and there will be no pony here to know it. You’ll be all alone.”

She lifted the bottle to her lips. Her hooves were shaking. Tears were streaming down the side of her face.

“All alone…” he whispered, his eyes glued to the bottle.

“I-I can’t!” She collapsed to her knees, dropping the bottle onto the ground. Anarchy’s face lit up with a persevere glee. He grabbed her by her jaw and forced her to look into the cloud. “Let’s watch together!” He purred.

“Angel, sweetie,” Fluttershy’s voice was rather tense. “Mama worked very hard on your lunch. Now, we’ve talked about this before. You cannot act like this. It’s very rude.”

Angel Bunny kicked the salad bowl, knocking all the food out onto the floor.

The last grain of sand fell.

“That is it!” Fluttershy screamed. She stomped towards Angel who suddenly didn’t seem all that arrogant. “Every day I slave for you; making you the healthiest foods. I spend what little money I have in buying you the freshest ingredients, I spend an hour preparing your meals, and all you do is slap me around or kick your food onto the floor. Well, no more, Mister for I have had enough!” To Rainbow Dash’s horror, Fluttershy twirled around and kicked both her back hooves straight into Angel’s tiny body. He flew across the room, striking the opposite wall with a sickening crunch. Fluttershy stared at his lifeless body. “I’m sick of it!” She screamed. “All of it!”

Fluttershy’s pets were shaking in their little houses. “Get out!” She roared. “All of you! Out! Out! Out!” They did not need any more encouragement. A swarm of little critters bolted out of Fluttershy’s hut. She slammed the door closed as the last bird flew away. Her mane was a mess, her eyes wild, her teeth bared. She was shaking all over – a side effect of the adrenaline rush she was experiencing.

“No!” Dash cried. She dove towards the bottle, hoping that the toxin hadn’t spilled out but before she could grab it, the bottle vanished in a swirl of black smoke. “Game over,” Anarchy chortled. “You lose.” He threw his head backwards laughing. “Oh and get this; when she calms down, she’ll realize what exactly she had done and that’s when things will go from bad, to delicious!” He was laughing tears. “They will never trust her again! You feared dying alone well as it turns out, Fluttershy will be alone, forever!” He fell back into his chair, trying his hardest to catch his breath. “And it is all because of you! You did this, Rainbow Dash. This is all your fault and I love it!”

“No…” Dash pressed her back against the wall. “It’s not my fault. You did this. You caused all of this.”

“No, no, no, no. Do not try to pin this one on me. I gave you a choice. All you had to do was take a sip and Angel would have been free of my spell. This is all because of you, Rainbow Dash. You and your selfishness.” He wiped a tear from his eye. “But it does not matter.” His tone grew serious. “For I know exactly what is going to happen next.” He smiled but there was nothing joyful in that expression. It was a very sick, disturbing look, one that shook Dash to the core.

“I hope you stick around for the finale,” He whispered. He vanished in a cloud of thick black smoke. Dash buried her eyes against her front legs, sobbing silently to herself.

Something tiny bumped against her leg. Sniffing, she glanced up to see the purple bottle with a note tied around its neck. It said:

To help ease the pain – Love Anarchy

She kicked it across the room with a frustrated scream. “It’s not my fault!” She howled. “It isn’t! It isn’t! It isn’t!” She buried her face back into her front legs. “It’s not my fault...”

“It’s not my fault…”

“It’s not my fault…”

“It’s not my fault…”