• Published 2nd Dec 2013
  • 10,307 Views, 373 Comments

Sonic New World - ColossalParadox



What happens when our favorite hyper-active hedgehog is sent to Equestria?

  • ...
26
 373
 10,307

Chapter 20: Sing a Happy Song

"Sweetie, Sweetie wake up," Rarity's soft voice rang.

Sweetie frowned and shifted, unhappy at the prospect of being woken up so early. Hearing her sister's voice, however, did perk up her spirits a bit as she slowly faded back to reality. She carefully opened her eyes as she adjusted to the bright light from the sun coming in through the windows. Sweetie looked to her left and saw Rarity standing over her, watching her baby sister spark back to reality. Sweetie smiled and sat up, yawning in the process as she stretched out her muscles. She soon ceased her normal waking up routine and looked around the room, noticing two empty spots where her friends should have been. Sweetie looked over to Rarity and waited for answer to their whereabouts.

"Come on, time to get up Sweetie. Everyone is already downstairs enjoying the hotel's continental breakfast, we let you sleep a bit longer so you were well rested for today. Now the unfortunate time has come for you to leave bed and come down for the most important meal of the day. After that you get to try on your dress and you can practice singing for the competition, in or out of the dress. Now come along, breakfast only lasts so long," Rarity finished, breathing in deeply from the mouthful.

Sweetie just stared at Rarity with sleepy eyes and yawned at her again, processing what her sister had just said as she was still trying to wake up. After all the words clicked in her mind, her eyes went wide and she smiled excitedly, with a bit of nervousness mixed in. With her heart now pumping adrenaline through her body she jumped out of bed and ran out the door, backing up a few moments later and waved her hoof at her sister, telling her to come on. Rarity sighed as she smiled and shook her head, following after the filly that was eager to get a meal and sing her song.

o.0.o

Sweetie and Rarity walked into the breakfast hall a few minutes later, getting the attention of the group as they did. The entire group looked to them and smiled, waving them over to the table(s) they were occupying and motioned for them to sit. Sweetie to a seat between Applebloom and Scootaloo and Rarity took a seat in between Applejack and Rainbow Dash.

"So there is the girl of the hour," Sonic said with a wink. Sweetie just playfully rolled her eyes and continued towards their table.

Sweetie's friends had taken the liberty of already getting her a plate ready full of her favorite breakfast items. Toast, eggs, orange juice, and two pancakes with syrup. Sweetie licked her lips hungrily, thanking them for getting her breakfast before chowing down.

All of them chuckled as they watched her greedily chomp on her food, eating as if she had not eaten in weeks. Sweetie slowed down her eating after she got down to only a few bites left of her food, taking this time to talk to the others as she nibbled on the rest of her food. She sat up and started to engage in conversation, using her hoof to hold her fork so she wouldn't have to concentrate on holding the fork and talk with the others.

"So how did you sleep last night Sweetie? Have any good dreams?" Twilight asked her.

"I slept pretty good Twilight, but I don't think I had any dreams. Or maybe I have and just forgot them," Sweetie answered back sadly.

"Aww, I hate it when that happens," Twilight gruffly responded.

"But, I do remember this one thing from last night," Sweetie said carefully.

"Oh, and what is that," Rarity asked.

"It was weird, but I heard this far away, crackling voice. It said something, a dangerous word, but I can't quite remember what it said because the syllables were split far apart from each other."

"That is weird, because the voice you described sounds like the one I heard last night too," Sonic responded.

"Really?" Sweetie asked.

"Yeah, I sometimes get some cases of Insomnia, so I just stay up and stare at the stars, that is when I heard the voice. I am not one hundred percent on this either, but I think I saw some shadow fly in front of the moon after I heard the voice," Sonic explained.

"I didn't see any shadows, but I definitely heard something."

"Can you remember what it said," DInky spoke up.

"That is what I am trying to remember," Sweetie insisted, "I am trying to remember the first syllable," she scrunched her face in concentration.

"I remember it," Sonic said, "I think it was..... Ex."

"As in, the letter X," Derpy asked.

"No, but that is the first syllable," Sweetie answered, "Now, what was the next one. Daww, come on brain remember," Sweetie ordered, tapping her head with her hoof in order to jog her memory, which surprisingly worked.

"OH! I remember! It was.... ter. Yes, definitely."

"I remember what comes after that, I believe it was min, M-I-N," Sonic explained.

"Ate," Sweetie finished.

"Yeah, I already ate," Sonic said.

"No, silly, the last syllable is ate. So now, let's see, if we put all those together...."

"Then the end product we get is..."

"Exterminate," Sonic and Sweetie said at the same time. The Doctor's ears perked up at the word they said and dropped his forkful of pancakes and looked at them.

"What did you say," he asked in a frightened tone.

"Doctor you don't thin-," Derpy began.

"Shh," the Doctor silenced as he got closer to Sweetie Belle until they were almost nose to nose, "what did you say," he asked more sternly. Sweetie could only gulp in fear at what the Doctor was doing.

"The voice, what did it say," he asked, getting even closer. He put his hooves on Sweetie's shoulders, "what did it say," he asked again.

"U-uuuhh," Sweetie responded.

"Doctor, I would appreciate it if-," Rarity began.

"NO! I am talking to her, not you," he said, shooting his gaze to Rarity when he did, soon returning them to meet Sweetie's eyes. "Tell me! What did it say!" He asked even more sternly this time, still unable to get a response from her. The Doctor then began to shake her in order to coax the answer out of her. After a few second of shaking, he asked once again.

"TELL ME! WHAT DID IT SAY!!" The Doctor commanded as he continually shook Sweetie.

With her mind trying to process what was happening and her heart racing at intense speeds, she forced herself to try and remember so this torment could end. After another second or two of shaking she finally remember the word.

"WHAT! DID! IT! SAY!" The Doctor asked one more time.

"EXTERMINATE!" Sweetie cried out in fear, the Doctor ceasing his shaking immediately. The Doctor and Sweetie stared into each other's eyes for a long moment, the Doctor's filled with hate and Sweetie's filled with utter terror. The Doctor breathed deeply as he continued staring, but soon snapped back to reality as he broke his gaze from Sweetie Belle and looked around the breakfast court. All eyes were on him, from the group to the other hotel patrons that had come down for breakfast had heard him screaming at Sweetie for no reason. He quickly found himself frowning as all the eyes that were on him were saying "what is wrong with you", all except for his loving family who knew exactly why he was acting the way he did.

He regained his composure soon enough and released his grip on Sweetie Belle, clearing his throat after he did and straightening his tie. He still looked at all the eyes that were trained on him, asking him what his problem was. He could no longer take it and decided to end it before things got too out of hoof.

"Please excuse me for a moment," he said, getting up and walking out of the breakfast court. Derpy looked to all her friends and excused herself as well, asking Dinky to stay put as she got up to go talk with the Doctor. Derpy followed after the Doctor and around the corner where he had went to pull himself together. The others talked among themselves while The Doctor and Derpy were gone, some of them consoling and making sure Sweetie was okay, who assured that she was. The Doctor and Derpy talked for a long while before they were seen returning to the scene of the crime. As soon as the Doctor walked in, all eyes were trained on him again, each one filled with a mixture of anger and a bit of terror.

"I apologize, everyone, for my misconduct. I know it was inexcusable and uncalled for. I just hope that all of you, especially you Sweetie Belle, can forgive me. It is just," The Doctor paused to look to all of them to see if he was met with understanding and forgiveness before continuing, "that was one word I was hoping I would never have to hear again," he concluded, without another word. The Doctor looked to them all once more before walking out of the room, followed by Derpy and Dinky who was coming up the rear. They all watched as the family walked out, not even looking back as they left to go do they needed to do. Sweetie, for some reason, felt a bit of remorse for the Doctor rather than fear. He did not know it, but she had already forgiven him.

o.0.o

Sweetie looked passed the curtain and into the giant crowd of ponies, making sure to remain hidden. They had arrived at the theatre where the singing competition was being held a few hours ago. Before they had arrived, Sweetie was able to try on her dress, and due to all the exact measurements taken, it fit her perfectly. It was a beautiful white dress with golden trimming and small gray spirals going down both sides for extra small detail. She decided to practice singing her song in the dress just to get a feel of how it would be in front of a crowd. Sweetie gave an audible gulp of nervousness and retreated to behind the stage again.

Sweetie was a bit worried, but felt she had a good fighting chance. There were eleven other contestants before her, a few of them squeaked, a couple others hit the wrong note, while the rest sang theirs perfectly. She now waited patiently for the last one to sing before she had to go out, and it sounded like he was getting to his big finish soon.

"Hey Sweetie!" Sweetie Belle jolted a bit at her name being called out, she slowly turned to see her fellow crusaders and Sonic approaching her. She smiled nervously and waved to them as they came over to see her.

"We just wanted ta' say," Applebloom began.

"Good luck out there, not like you'll need it though," Scootaloo concluded. Sonic approached her and she smiled as he crouched down to her level.

"Well, this is it, the final hour, your moment to shine," he said to her, rubbing her head softly so as to calm her down. She smiled at the gentle touch of his hand, but quickly lost it as the realization of where they were suddenly hit her again.

"But Sonic what if I go out there and mess something up? What if I don't win the emerald for you? What if-"Sweetie was silenced by the sound of Sonic shushing her. He dismissed her thoughts with a wave his hand and spoke calmly to her.

"Don't worry about that, we will find another way to get it. If you don't win, oh well, you would still have had fun, right? We could probably make some sort of deal or perhaps make a trade. Right now, I want you to focus on having a good time. You would have never agreed to this if you didn't think you couldn't do it, would you?" Sweetie shook her head. "Alright! Now go out there and sing the most happiest song you and your friends created," Sonic encouraged.

"And try to earn your cutie mark while your out there too," Scootaloo through in at the last second.

"And don't worry about everyone else, they are all in the crowd, and they will be cheering you on until the end," Sonic assured.

Sweetie smiled and teared up a bit at the wonderful encouragement coming from her friends. She snapped her attention away as she noticed the last pony that sung walking into the dressing rooms. She gulped again as she knew this meant she was the next and final performance of the night. Her thoughts became all too real as the intercom screeched on.

"Sweetie Bell, please report to the stage for your performance," A feminine voice said, "Sweetie Belle, please report to the stage for your performance." With that, the intercom turned off and Sweetie warmed up her voice with some practice vocals to test her pitch and speed. Sonic stood up and turned to walk out with the others before stopping and turning around to her as he remembered something important her needed to tell her.

"Good luck out there Sweetie, knock em' dead," Sonic said to her, giving her one final bout of encouragement. Sweetie smiled once more at his kind(ish) words and closed her eyes when they left. She took in a deep breath as she walked towards the stage and breathed out before going through the curtains, giving herself one more pep talk.

"Alright Sweetie, this it, the time has come to show San Franciscolt what your made of. No more cowering and worrying about nothing, it is time to go out there and make them proud. You've just got to win, not just for him though, but for yourself, your friends and your family as well," Sweetie hyped.

She finished her small speech of final encouragement and breathed in deeply and exhaled once more before going out on stage, her moment of victory was at hoof. She opened her eyes that she did not remember closing and plastered on a smile Sonic had told her to, facing the challenge like it wasn't even one. She narrowed her eyebrows, all the while keeping the smile, and went through the curtains.

Sweetie looked out at all the ponies in the crowd, her face of bravery quickly lost at all the eyes staring at her. She began to get nervous and sweat a bit, not sure if she was able to do this. She was about to forfeit until she saw their group again, every single one of them, even the newly arrived Knuckles, gave her looks that told her that she could do this. She noticed she had been staring and shook her head to clear her current thoughts and to get the song lyrics in her head. Once she was ready, she cleared her throat, signaling for the music to start. Right on cue, the intro of the song started, and then, she began to sing.

Working hard and never giving up

Getting out if I ever get stuck

My friends helping me along the waaaaayyyy....

I'll reach the stars somedaaayyyy...

I am a cutie mark crusader

Always fighting for what's right

I am a cute mark crusader

Helping and exploring day and night

Shining as bright as the sun

Glowing as bright as the moon

Remembering to have fun

And purer than a golden spoon

I am a cutie mark crusader

Always fighting for what's right

I am a cute mark crusader

Helping and exploring day and night

Assisting everypony, old and young

Holding precious moments dear

Never stopping unless we've won

Until my cutie mark is heeeeree

I am a cutie mark crusader

Always fighting for what's right

I am a cute mark crusader

Helping and exploring day and, niiiiiight

Sweetie Belle slowly faded out as her song came to an end. The lights on her performance clicked off and the crowd was hush, not making a single peep.