• Published 2nd Dec 2013
  • 10,314 Views, 373 Comments

Sonic New World - ColossalParadox



What happens when our favorite hyper-active hedgehog is sent to Equestria?

  • ...
26
 373
 10,314

Chapter 16: Truth or Lie? (The Next Emerald)

"Doctor who," the leader teenage dragon asked.

"Just the Doctor will do," he answered as everyone started to pile out of the TARPIS. The lead teenager peaked around the Doctor and caught a glimpse of three familiar looking ponies.

"HEY, I know you three," he said as he approached the spot that Twilight, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash currently stood at, "you were the ones that helped that shrimp Spike and made us look like idiots," he yelled to them, causing the three of them to shy away a bit, but it made Sonic snort. The lead dragon snapped his head to Sonic and glared daggers at him before walking over to stare him down.

"You think something's funny, wimp," he asked, causing his pack of teenage dragons to laugh, however, it made Sonic snap his entire gaze to him. They stared into each other's eyes, a physical form of hate could be seen passing between their gazes. Sonic smiled after a bit and gave a small chuckle to the dragon, which threw him off at the sudden turn of emotion.

"No, I don't think anything's funny. I just think that you and your gang do a good enough job at making yourselves look like idiots," Sonic retorted, causing the entire group of pony travelers to laugh. The group of dragons, however, did not find it as funny. They stopped in mid-laugh, their smiles slowly changing into those of hate and anger. The dragons moved to a stance of dominance and growled at them, causing the group to back away, all except for Sonic.

"Okay, PUNK," the lead teenager said, poking Sonic on the chest for emphasis on his seriousness, "just what exactly are you and your wimpy friends doing here?"

"Aaahh, a very good question," the Doctor answered as he pointed his Sonic Horseshoe in different directions, "We came here looking for a very special and very rare artifact called a Chaos Emerald and by the looks of these readings," the Doctor said, pointing the blue light that emanated from the Horseshoe at his face, "there is one in the immediate area, so we have come here to retrieve it," the Doctor finished, pride gleaming on his face.

"All of you?"

"Yes."

"In that tiny blue box?"

"Looks can be deceiving." The lead teenager mulled over the Doctor's responses and what he had said earlier.

"You mentioned something about a gem called a Chaos Emerald, sounds tempting. Must be pretty special for you shrimps to come all this way looking for it."

"Actually it is," Sonic answered, "it is my only way of getting back to my world, MY home!"

"Hmph, Well if it is here I'm afraid you're out of luck. We tend to hold on to any and all gems that find their way into our hordes."

"Hmmm," Sonic contemplated. These dragons seemed to be about as stubborn as a mule, but they also seemed not be the sharpest tool in the shed or the brightest bulb in the house. Sonic thought of an amazing idea, now he had to hope it would work.

"DOCTOR!"

"Yes? And you don't have to shout I'm right here," the Doctor answered, digging in his ear with his hoof to try and remove and object that was not there.

"Could you please lead us to the horde that has the Chaos Emerald in it?"

"Of course! Everypony, Allon-Sy!"

The Doctor pulled out his Sonic Horseshoe from the collar that held his tie and stuck it out in front of him. He activated it, however that worked, and pointed it in a few different directions before stopping in one specific direction. He began to walk, followed by the others, which proved quite a challenge for the Doctor. His balance was off very badly, but still somehow managed to lead the group. He led them around giant rock formations, scorching lava pits, and into the gem horde. The adult dragons were not as appreciative as the teenage dragons were and became very agitated when they entered the horde area of the clan. Thankfully, the teenagers motioned to them that it was okay by doing a "stay back" motion at them, immediately calming them down.

The Doctor led them around a few more gem hordes until finally arriving at one last horde piled up against the wall, his Sonic Horseshoe's buzzing now at a very loud point. The Doctor clicked it off and stored back inside the "pocket" of his collar.

"The Chaos Emerald is somewhere in this horde, so who feels like diving in and finding it?"

"OOH, OOH, I DO I DO," Pinkie answered enthusiastically and dove into the horde like Scrooge McDuck.

"So while she's searching for that, why don't you explain to us this deal," the lead teenager dragon commanded.

"Sure, Twilight," Sonic said, turning to the one in question, "could I borrow a bit for a minute?"

"Uuum," she stalled as she reached into her saddle bag with her magic and pulled out a bit, "sure, here." Sonic took the bit and showed it to the teenagers.

"This bit will be essential in the bargain. With two emeralds, I will be able to enchant the bit to do anything I command it to. What were going to do, is were going to play a little game-."

"Woah, hold it," the lead teenager interrupted, "we don't play any games with any baby ponies and their friends," he finished, crossing his arms to show his refusal.

"Oh alright, then I guess you forfeit already and we'll take possession of the emerald," Sonic said, turning around so the dragons couldn't see his smile of smugness, for he knew they could not refuse.

"Errr," the leader said nervously, "Guuh, FINE, we'll do it your way," he said in defeat.

"Excellent now I will continue explainin-"

"I FOOOOUND IT," Pinkie shouted over Sonic after popping out of the top from the gem horde. She then proceeded to throw the emerald to Sonic, him catching it without any trouble.

"Great, now can I explain the rules?"

"Oh, sure, go head," Pinkie said sheepishly, ending it with a *squee*ing grin.

"Okay, now as I was saying. I am able to use the two emeralds on the bit, like so," he said, placing the bit on the ground and holding the emeralds right above it, "I will use the power of these two emeralds to enchant the bit and make it perform a specific task. In this case, it will be a game of truth. We will take turns asking each other questions and flipping the bit. The one holding the bit will ask the other any question and after they do, you flip the bit and let it land on the ground. If it bounces and lands on heads, that means it is true and it is the next one's turn to ask the other a question."

"Alright, that doesn't seem too difficult," the teen responded.

"BUT, if the bit bounces and lands on tails, that means it is a lie. The first one to tell a lie, loses, and the winner gets the emerald." Sonic finished what he needed to do with the emeralds placed the small purple rock Pinkie just gave them on the ground, in between the teenagers and himself. He then picked up the bit and handed it to the red teenager.

"Challengers go first." The teenager simply nodded and took the bit from him. He thought for a short while on what he should ask. He tapped his chin as he thought but could not think of a single thing to ask, so he just went with a simple rule he wondered about the game.

"Can we ask ANY kind of question," he asked, awaiting the response.

"Yes," Sonic answered. After the question, the dragon tossed the bit up into the air and allowed it to fall and land in front of him. Everyone gathered around and watched as it bounced and twirled on the ground. After twirling for so long the bit finally started to lose it momentum and pitter patted to land on one side, heads. The group of ponies let out a breath of relief as Sonic hunched over and picked up the coin.

"Okay, my turn," he said. Sonic rolled the bit through the crevices of his fingers, eventually resetting the process by dragging it back over with his thumb, as he thought of a question to ask the teenager.

"Is the chaos emerald really that special to you, because you would not have even known about it if we never told you," Sonic asked. The teenager blankly stared at Sonic as thought about the question. What Sonic said was true, they never knew it was even here until the group showed up and explained about it. Dragons were just greedy as the leader teen came to know an embraced that fact; he was ready to answer the question.

"Yes, it is," the teenager responded. Sonic only gave a slight nod as he flicked the coin into the air and allowed it to land on the ground. It bounced a few times and then twirled for a short while until finally stopping on one side, heads again.

"Hmph," the teenager chuckled mockingly, bending over and picking up the bit.

"Okay, where are you from, shrimp?" Sonic did not like how the teenage dragon asked that question, but he had to answer either way.

"I am from another universe, from the great world of Mobius," Sonic answered. The dragon nodded slightly and flicked the coin up in the air. It went through the same routine gravity made it do and landed on a comforting side, heads.

"Ur," the teen dragon slightly uttered as he swung his arm to show his frustration. Now came Sonic's turn again, once more bending over and picking up the coin.

o.0.o

The contest went on for another ten minutes, one after the other Sonic and the teenage dragon would ask each other various things. Such as if they had a certain secret, what their favorite food was, who they liked, who they hated, and other questions that could or could not be considered suitable for young audiences to hear.

"Are hedgehogs usually dumb," the teenager asked. Sonic held his tongue at what he was about to retort at the dragon for he did not want to ruin the contest with a faulty response. He instead opted to swallow the anger to let it out later and answer the question now. Sonic's smile came back to him as realized what the answer to the question was.

"Actually, hedgehogs are very smart and clever in nature. They have a defense mechanism to defend themselves from other things trying to harm and/or eat them. Quills. These babies would poke you into the hospital, pal," Sonic said triumphantly, pointing to the quills on his back as he did. The teenager tossed the coin into the air after the response and let it do its thing. The coin spun around on the ground, but something was off. Sonic and the others noticed that it was falling on the wrong side, tails.

Sonic began to panic a little for he thought he was going to lose the contest. He was expecting it to end in the first three to five questions, they somehow made it last til ten minutes later. Sonic began to sadden at this point because if he lost now, he was never going home. Sonic already began to start accepting defeat at this point, but the coin mysteriously bounced and flipped over on the other side. Everyone was dazed at what the coin just did, Sonic especially. The teenage dragon snapped out of his daze and got mad.

"WHAT, COME ON!! That is not fair, it was landing on tails. I am calling shenanigans," the teen proclaimed, crossing his arms as he did.

"Calm down," Sonic began as he bent over to pick up the coin, "the coin says I am telling the truth, it was probably just doing that to toy with you." The teenager uncrossed his arms and watched Sonic as he picked up the bit.

"I bet you are controlling it," the teenager accused.

"Well you would lose that bet, buddy. The only thing I did was enchant it with the emeralds, I don't control what it does or how it does things. It is almost like it has a mind of its own," Sonic said ominously. He started to think about another question to ask the dragon, something that would get him riled up. The question flicked on in his head like a light bulb.

"Are dragons usually this greedy and selfish," Sonic asked triumphantly. His question worked like a charm as he noticed the already red colored teenager become a brighter shade of red on his face. The question made the teenager angrier than he thought possible, steam could physically be seen coming out of his ears. The teenager somehow calmed himself down enough to answer the question through gritted teeth.

"Yes, it is a normal dragon instinct to be greedy because it starts at a young age," he answered. Sonic just shrugged and flicked the coin up in the air and allowed it to do it normal routine landing and twirling. The teenager tapped his foot impatiently, waiting for the coin to land on heads so he could have his turn. However, when the bit stopped, an audible gasp came from everyone in the crowd, even the few stray dragons that came to over to see what the commotion was about throughout the game. The teenager slowly looked down and gawked at the bit with wide eyes, the bit had landed on tails. Everyone stared at the bit for a long while before Twilight *sighed* and stepped forward.

"Even I knew that was a lie," she started," I knew it was a lie before Sonic even flipped the coin up in the air. Spike's stage of greediness started and grew to very catastrophic levels, but he was able to see the errors of his ways and learned that being greedy was a horrible lifestyle. It is not an instinct, it is a choice, and you have made the wrong one."

The teenagers stared, slack-jawed at the speech Twilight just gave. The lead teenager was in disbelief of everything that had just happened. He closed his mouth, however, at the name she mentioned in her rant.

"Spike," he whispered.

"What was that," Sonic asked.

"GrrrrrRRRRRRR," the teenager growled, "SPIKE, that wimpy little baby. Even when he is not here he is being an annoying shrimp, well I am not having any of it," he said and picked up the emerald, "YOU AREN'T GETTING THIS EMERALD!!"

Everyone in the group shied away and took a step back from the teens that had began to walk towards them to stand beside the lead teenager. Some of the ponies, especially Fluttershy, could be seen shivering in fear. The dragons started to approach the group, but Sonic stepped forward aggressively and made the teens stop in their tracks. Sonic stuck out his arms so as to block the dragons from getting to the others behind him.

"Come on, you lost fair and square. Not stop throwing a temper tantrum and just hand over the emerald. Or I will take it by force," Sonic said threateningly. He somehow had a light sliver of hope that would have worked, but as expected it only made the teens even madder. The leader growled and tilted his head upwards and breathed out a stream of fire. After he was done spewing fire he looked to Sonic and pointed his claw at him.

"YOU SHUT UP! I am going to burn every part of you so that there is not even any ashes left," he said menacingly. Sonic brought his arms back down to his sides at the threat. He assumed that the teenager was bluffing in his threat, but his assumption was quickly tossed aside as the dragon began to take in a deep breath.

Sonic backed up a little, a look of fear on his face. Sonic turned around to the crowd of ponies that watched, eying each one of them. They all seemed to send him a look of "goodbye" or "farewell" because of his imminent doom. Sonic's look of fear quickly changed to a cocky smile at their looks, causing them to get looks of confusion instead. Sonic gave a slight wink to them before turning back to the dragons with the same look of fear.

The teenager finally stopped breathing in and blasted a giant ball of fire at Sonic. The group heard Sonic mumble something incoherent under his breath before the fireball got to him. The ball landed right at Sonic's location and burned for a few more seconds before dying down and completely going out. The others wished that the fire did not die out.

They looked in horror and with tear in their eyes at the spot at where the great Sonic had stood. It was just like the teenager had said, he burnt every part until nothing was left, not even ashes. Twilight walked up to the spot and fell to her stomach at it, continually staring at the slightly scorched spot on the ground. Tears fell from Twilight's eyes and landed on the spot where Sonic had stood, the others joining in as well soon after her.

Tear after tear hit the ground from the group. Twilight sniffled and looked up at the teenage dragon that had lit Sonic up. She was at a loss for words but could only manage to ask one simple question, "Why?"

The teenager just ignored her question and turned back to his group of friends high fiving and congratulating him. The dragon turned back to the group of ponies and just as expected, they were all still spouting water works and trying to console Twilight. What he was not expecting, however, was to feel something kick him in the back of the head and make him fall to the ground, face first. He could here gasps come from the crowd and slowly looked up to see Sonic pick up the emerald that he made him drop. The teenager got infuriated and began to growl. He quickly sat up and turned to his friends

"DON'T JUST STAND THERE, SCORCH HIS SORRY BUTT," the teenager commanded. The teens obeyed and breathed in as Sonic talked.

"Chaos," he said, tossing the emerald in the air. The teens breathed out.

"CONTROL," Sonic said as he caught the emerald and disappeared right before the fire hit him. After disappearing, everyone in the crowd, including the dragons, stared in awe. Sonic had just vanished into thin air. They tried looking around to see where he was, but could not find him before he jumped over their heads and slid to the front of the group. The lead teenager tried to shoot another fireball at Sonic, but he jumped in the air just in time to avoid it. The leader turned his upward quickly to Sonic. He took in a deep breath to shoot another fireball.

"SONIC," Sonic said when the teenager breathed. The lead teen shot out the fireball directly towards Sonic, expecting a direct hit.

"WIND," Sonic said, doing a backflip and kicking out a line of wind from himself. The wind cut through the fire and caused it to dissipate into the air, but the wind still kept going. The leader teen's eyes went wide as he saw the wind coming at him, unfortunately he did not have enough time to dodge it and he was hit square in the face. He was knocked backwards and into the group of teenage dragon's. He rubbed his face as he watched Sonic fall and land on his feet. Sonic stood up straight and faked to rush them just to make sure he was in control of the situation, which he was because after his fake assault the teens flinched to try and defend themselves.

The teens looked up when the attack did not come. Sonic just stood over them, staring down at them with a look of disappointment. Sonic and the teen dragon leader locked gazes for a long while before Sonic looked away and began to walk back toward the group.

"Who are you," the teen leader asked.

Sonic stopped at the question and slowly turned around to answer him, "I'm Sonic, Sonic the Hedgehog, and don't you ever forget me!"

The teens nodded their heads rapidly at his command. He smiled when they complied with him, he turned back towards the group and walked passed them.

"Come on, let's go," Sonic said. Everyone nodded and followed behind him, taking one last look at the pathetic looks on the teens.

o.0.o

The group arrived back at the TARPIS and waited for the Doctor to unlock it. He made his way to the front of the group and pulled the key out of his tie collar and unlocked the door. Him and Sonic stood to the side to allow the others to get in before they did. When everyone was boarding Sonic noticed the Doctor put his key back in the same side he kept his Sonic Horseshoe. After everyone was on board, Sonic and the Doctor walked in behind them, closing the door.

"So what is with your collar," Sonic asked, "does it have like TARPIS technology built into it or something?"

"As in it is bigger on the inside...... Yes," he answered with a smile.

Sonic nodded at the response and walked up to the group. The Doctor walked out from behind Sonic to the join the group. Everyone paused in their conversations to look at Sonic holding the emerald in his hand. They were all unsure of what to do at this point except find the next emerald, all but Pinkie.

"SURPRISE HUG," Pinkie shouted as she jumped from the group and landed on Sonic, crushing him in a tight hug. Everyone joined with pinkie and joined in the giant hug that Pinkie started. After a short embrace they all backed off and allowed Sonic to stand up and brush himself off. They stared at him with wide smiles on their faces and sparkles in their eyes.

"That-That was AMAZING SONIC," Twilight praised.

"YEAH, YOU WERE LIKE PEW!! AND 'chaos control' AND-," Pinkie began to rant. Sonic turned his attention away from her to Twilight that approached him.

"Sonic, those moves and skills were amazing, and that bit enchantment, how did you do that with the emeralds," Twilight asked.

"Oh, Pffft, the bit enchantment was a fluke, a trick. How it went on for that long I have no idea, it was just a way to get the emerald because I did not see any other way of doing it. I told him that hedgehogs are clever," he responded.

"Wait, so ya'll lied," Applejack cut in.

"Well, er, yes, but I do realize it was wrong, even to that group of undesirables. I do not agree with what I did, but it seemed like a last resort in a desperate situation. It is like some wise person once told me, 'it is better to tell a small lie than to deliver a painful truth'. I do not agree with lying and I only did it because of the situation. I just hope you can forgive me," Sonic said sadly, dropping his head.

"Aww, it's alrigh' sugarcube. You did save us after all, just try not to make it a habit," Applejack said with a wink. Sonic just nodded at the notion and turned to the Doctor.

"O-kay, where to next Doc?"

"The stars," he responded, moving his arm across the air to symbolize space. The Doctor looked around at the different faces of the ponies in the TARPIS. He put his arm down and cleared his throat.

"Hm Hm, I mean, THAT way," he said, pointing in a specified direction.

"Alright, but let's stop in Ponyville first to rest, we've had a rough day," Twilight said.

The Doctor nodded at the request and looked to Derpy and Dinky.

"You know what to do," the Doctor said to his wife and child, them nodding in return and moving to their places at the TARPIS control.

"Alrighty then, A-LLON-SY!!", the Doctor said, throwing a switch when he did and activating the TARPIS. Everyone stepped back at the shakiness the TARPIS produced and grabbed onto something to stabilize themselves as they traveled.

o.0.o

The TARPIS landed back in Ponyville as planned. The Doctor threw the switch that powers the Time Vortex off and followed his wife and daughter to the door. Sonic and the others were already outside, along with a crowd of ponies surrounding a specific area of the market street.

Sonic's ears perked up as he had heard something familiar come from the center of the ring, but was not really sure until he got a look. Sonic made his way over to the crowd and excused and pardoned himself as he shuffled passed the individual, multicolored ponies. Sonic's anticipation was reaching its peak as he made his way through the thick crowd, followed by his group of travelers.

Sonic finally made it to the center of the ring and jumped in surprise at what he saw.

"SONIC!!" Yelled the familiar face of a friend.

"........ Tails......""