• Published 11th Mar 2012
  • 3,880 Views, 220 Comments

The Element of Chaos - JakeDrake



When Discord defeats the Elements he decides to bring another Draconequus into Equestria.

  • ...
15
 220
 3,880

Reading is Magic: Runes are Painful

The Element of Chaos

Chapter 18

Reading is Magic: Runes are Painfull

As Jake returned to the castle after the parade thrown by Prince Starry, he wondered back in. He thought he had better get ready for the party himself, anything he needed to put on, maybe have something to eat before hand so he wouldn’t look like a hog in front of any royalty. He stepped into a hallway and saw Princess Luna talking to a unicorn with a red mane.

When the Princess saw him she gave a grin and the unicorn looked back with a smile. A rare sight in itself, though her cutie mark was a few stones with different symbols carved into them. She wore a large saddlebag that was bulging and lumpy with whatever was inside..

“Ah, Jake. Perfect.” Princess Luna said curtly as she walked toward him and turned down another hallway with the mare following close behind. “Come this way. I have a way to sort out your reading problem.”

“Okay...” He said raising an eyebrow as he followed the Princess and the mare next to her nodding a bit. “And...what would that be?”

“A simple runic ritual. Magus will be the one performing it.” Princess Luna said looking at the mare next to her. “This is Magus Rune, she is very skilled at magical runes.”

“T-thank you so much for letting me test this ritual Princess.” She said bowing and then looking back at Jake looking near giddy, “And um...Prince.”

“Woah...not a Prince. I just...kind of live here.” He said rubbing the back of his head, maybe he should live this up. He then thought of the word ‘test’ from what the mare said and quickly asked, “Wait...what do you mean ‘test this ritual’?” He had a slight nervous twitch and felt if something could go wrong, it would.

“Oh no...It’s safe. I promise.” The mare assured smiling as they kept walking and eventually walked into a large empty room. “It’s just not been done in...twenty years. So it’s pretty old is all.”

An outdated spell, and someone who has never done it before. Seemed sketchy to Jake, but it’s not like he had any other way to learn quickly. Besides, wasn’t he due for some sort of good luck?

The mare opened up her saddlebags and used her magic to levitated a batch of small stones with little glowing markings on them. He watched impressed as each one was put in it’s own spot making a perfect circle of the stones in the large room. He saw Luna move back a little from one of the runes and shake her head a bit. He shrugged a bit and saw Magus opening an old book.

“Okay...Now step into the ring and I’ll activate the runes.” Magus said suddenly after looking away from the book for a moment and moving one rune. He gingerly stepped into the ring making sure not to touch any of the small stone. “Good good...now you might feel a little shock.”

“What do you mean a little shock?” He asked before all the runes glowed the same icey color as her magical aura. His eyes widened and arcs of magical energy flowed from the runes and the air blasting into the highest thing in the room. Which would have been Jake’s two horns.

The magical energy flowed like water through a pipe until it filled his body, on the outside Luna was impressed with his skeletal structure. It wasn’t often that much energy flowed through a pony you could see the bones. Magus soon cut off the magical flow and slumped on the ground, her eyes a little bloodshot from the excess of power.

Jake however look...a little worse. His mane was standing up on ends, his eyes still had an electric blue glow that was slowly dimming, and for a few seconds a clear arc of energy jumped between his horns. After this he fell over with a groan of pain.

“I thought you said it would be a little shock.” The Princess said looking at the Mare who was looking very tired. Luna knew it was a tricky ritual with the need of some sort of huge magical power source to be in the area to even work. With the lack of a ley line, a giant crystal that was able to imprison traitors, or a device that played old show tunes that could travel through time. Princess Luna had to be present to have it draw off the massive amounts of energy she radiated.

“Compared to most...it was.” Magus stood up shakily smiling. “He’ll be fine. The magical charge should wear off in thirty minutes or so, and he’ll have a headache for an hour. But other than that he should be able to understand most written languages.”

“You do know...our goal was to only give him the knowledge of Equestria’s writing?” The Princess said making the mare blink and facehoof. She muttered something and floated the rest of her runes into her bag.

“Well...it’s a bonus. See it as that. More than you would have asked.” She smiled sheepishly. “I’ll see you whenever you wish for more of my rituals Princess. I’m at your beck and call.” She ran out of the room quickly leaving Luna and Jake alone.

Jake let out a groan and Luna shook her head. The party was in three hours and she had to get ready. She couldn’t afford to be late and she had preparations to do for herself. She left Jake laying on the floor as she went to her personal groomers. She always enjoyed the tales he told of traveling Equestria as the most fabulous bass player there was, even though she didn’t know how one could play a fish.

After ten minutes Jake shot up from his laying down position and shouted, “No! I don’t like Bananas!” He blinked and looked around for anypony that was there. The pony who did the ritual wasn’t there, and neither was Luna. They had left him laying on the floor after what felt like a thousand volts of electricity flowed through his body.

He was so going to get Luna back.

But a bit of revenge isn't important right now. He had to hurry, he had the party to get ready for. He was a little wobbling when he first stood up and hurried down the hall. He surprising found his little stairway quickly and smiled. As he rushed up the stairs, he saw his door was slightly ajar.

He pushed it the rest of the way and saw a suit lying on a large couch with a note on it. He picked the note up looking it over as it read, ‘Your suit for tonight. Enjoy.’ He picked it up and slipped the jacket on before stopping with a sudden realization.

He could read the note.

He broke out into a grin that looked lit it was going to split his face, well...it would have looked that way if anyone could see him. He fit the rest of suit’s jacket and shirt smiling straightening it a bit. He then dropped to the couch it was sitting on snatching a book off a shelf with claw and opened it, then gave a slight grimace.

“Field Notes on Alicorn Reproduction.” He read the title aloud before putting it back on the shelf,vowing not to pick it up unless he was truly bored. and pulled out a book by the title. “The Magic of Chaos.” He opened it up and began his first book of this new world.

After two hours,three volumes of the Magic tomes, and two books of the basics of the cultures of this world. He snapped the book shut smiling a bit as he heard a few trumpets and a parade of ponies coming. He got up sighing and straightening his coat and snapped his fingers making a top hat and monocle appear.

“Time for the party...Now all I have to do is not fall on my face and ruin that little performance I...have to do.” He said slowly realising he had to find the assistance he got help him and ran out of his room, leaving the few books strewn over the room.

Or, that in the last few minutes, notice the large black figure with long blue hair with the gnarled horn in her forehead. The figure’s eyes glowed a deep green before walking into the room and slowly transforming into something that even Celestia had never seen.

She grew taller, thinner, and a handful of different colors. Her tail grew long and covered in scales. Her lower legs changed too, one green with claws while the other was hooved. These legs were bent to allow her to stand on two legs. Her front hooves changed to a lions paw, and the talon of some sort of bird.

Her head was the most distinct change. It changed, and the horn moved and split. Her mouth had no large fangs protruding from her mouth, but one very small fang coming from the top. Her blue hair had paled quickly to white and the two horns poked out. One blue that came like a swirl, and the other a very small antler.

“Discord was right...” The figure said, the words at first having a reverberating tone, but quickly changing to a normal but amused tone. “This will be a very fun plan. Maybe once he has his powers, I’ll keep it. Make us at least...a little closer.” She gave a large smile and her finger glowed with a sickly green magic to make a long green dress appear. Then slowly walked down the steps, and toward the party.