• Published 10th Mar 2012
  • 10,967 Views, 553 Comments

Directive: Grow - Dragon Dreaming

  • ...
10
 553
 10,967

Exploratores: Setting Out

“Okay, wait, back up,” Rainbow said, shaking her head. “They want you, specifically, to be there to perform the basic handshake.” Twilight nodded, and Rainbow frowned, eyes narrowed. “You. The month-old AI.” The unicorn rolled her eyes.

“Yes, Rainbow. Me. The month-old AI who still doesn’t have her library all figured out.”

“Now that just don’t make no kind of sense, Twilight,” said Applejack, nose deep in the midst of packing. “Handshaking doesn’t need anything so sophisticated as you.”

“I don’t get it either,” Twilight said with a sigh, “but the scroll didn’t exactly say much. I mean, it didn’t even say it was a dragon making the connection; we had to look up the contract document that it referenced.” She was beginning to question the wisdom of calling Rainbow in on this. It was kind of surprising that the pegasus wasn’t busy, actually; her work had a tendency to keep her occupied.

“Right, that thing,” Rainbow said, peeking over Applejack’s shoulder at the inventory list and giving a low whistle. “That’s a lot of stuff.”

“Pays ta be prepared,” Applejack said, and Rainbow shrugged, turning her attention back to Twilight.

“Wasn’t that thing, like, super old?”

Twilight nodded. “It was first drafted in 320 AT, though it’s still a live document. Up for review in another twenty or so years. That transmission was even older.”

Rainbow nodded. “Marivar Tuul, scientific expedition to Yangtze 7. Landed Secundum 4, lost Secundum 9.”

Twilight blinked. “You know about it?”

“Required learning for all military personnel, of course,” the pegasus said, flicking her tail dismissively. “More importantly, why you for the handshake? I mean, why have a full AI for it in the first place?”

“It’s actually required by the contract. It doesn’t elaborate on why, though,” she growled. “It seems no one thought that motivations were worth documenting.”

Rainbow chuckled, and reached over to ruffle her head. “Don’t be too hard on ‘em, kid. A lot can get lost in two thousand years.”

“One thousand, seven hundred and twenty nine years, two months, and twelve days.”

Twilight frowned, watching as Applejack and Rainbow exchanged a look. She knew that look. It meant she’d done something naïve, generally. “What? What did I do?”

“Well,” Applejack said, “it’s not quite social to go and correct someone like that.”

She blinked, and looked at Rainbow, who chuckled again. “You gotta learn to approximate, kid, or at least let them slide. Users get all annoyed when we pull that stunt.”

“Oh,” she said, frowning. That was … odd. Why would anyone favor a gross approximation over an accurate measurement? “I don’t get it.”

Rainbow and Applejack gave each other another look, and the pegasus raised an eyebrow. “You’re the User here, Applejack,” she said, and the earth pony rolled her eyes.

“Alright. Let’s see,” she said, tapping her chin with her hoof, and nodded. “So this is simplifyin’ things, probably oversimplifyin’, but AIs are basically ridiculously complex code, right?”

“That’s not … an inaccurate statement,” Twilight allowed. “It’s not completely accurate, either, but you did say you were simplifying.”

“Right. And code is, at the root of it, all based on math.” Twilight nodded. Still something of a simplification, but allowable. “So AIs are built on math.”

“Well, yes,” she said, “but everything is. The universe itself is expressible in mathematical form. Anything can be put into some form of equation or function.” And they were giving each another look. “What?”

This time it was Applejack who chuckled. “Not quite everything, Twilight. But that’s a tangent. Point is that math is part and parcel of how you function and think. But most Users, like me, we ain’t built that way. We’re all chemical reactions and firing synapses, and yeah, like you said, that’s all expressible as mathematics, but that don’t translate into how we think.” Twilight’s brow furrowed, her expression puzzled. “I can do math, but I had to learn it. Two plus two isn’t a thing I was born with.”

“Okay,” the unicorn said, “that makes sense. But I still don’t get what’s wrong with accuracy.”

Rainbow snickered, eliciting a flush from Twilight, and Applejack sighed. “Look, sugar cube, I can’t speak for every species, but I know that I get by with estimates and approximations when I’m just talkin’. Believe me, there’s nothing wrong with accuracy – I’m a stickler for it where it concerns the farm, for example – but I work better with things like ‘about two thousand years’ in just conversation.”

Twilight tilted her head, thoughts churning. Math was second nature to her. First nature, possibly. Simple calculations like the age of the contract to the nearest day were as simple as, well breathing. But if that wasn’t true for Users, if something so simple as basic arithmetic was something they were taught, and had to think about … She nodded. “I see. Approximations ease understanding without devoting unnecessary thought cycles to exacting accuracy, so when someone insists on said accuracy, it creates annoyance due to, at the least, wasted time.” She nodded again, and smiled, pleased with her assessment; a smile that froze when she saw the looks on her friends’ faces. Again? “Crabapples. What did I say this time?”

Rainbow burst out laughing, and Applejack was just shaking her head with a smile on her face. “Nothing, Twi. Just your way of sayin’ it, is all.”

“Never change, kid.” She frowned, and opened her mouth, but Rainbow cut her off with a wave of her hoof. “Idiomatic expression, Twi.”

“Ah. Wait, so was I wrong?”

“No,” said Applejack, “you pretty much nailed it on the head, there. There’s usually more reasons, but, eh.” She shrugged. “You get the point.”

“Hey, second question: why are we packing?” Rainbow asked, taking another pointed look at Applejack’s rather significant inventory. “Based on this it looks like this is gonna be a major hike.”

“It will be,” Twilight said, her companion cube displaying a basic map of the Environs at her prodding. “Once Fluttershy officially acknowledged the notice, we got a location from Everfree Admin. We’ll have to go here,” she said, and a purple star lit up on the map, “in order to make the connection.”

The pegasus blinked, staring at the map. “That’s Mount Colossaeus.”

“Yes.”

“That’s in the middle of one of the largest recreations of undeveloped forest.”

“Right.”

“Plus examples of nearly every forest animal ever recorded, extinct and otherwise, mythical and otherwise.” Twilight frowned. Mythical? She hadn’t known that bit. “And we’re walking, because that’s one of the thickest canopies in virtual existence, and the local wyverns don’t like flyers on their mountaintop.”

“Um.” She looked at Rainbow, who stared back, one eyebrow raised, waiting for her to answer the que- er, statement. Statement that implied a question. Rainbow was rather good at those. “Yes?”

The pegasus tilted her head the side, her eyebrow rising even higher, and Twilight braced herself as Rainbow opened her mouth. “Right. Bring it on.”

Twilight stared, but her friend didn’t notice, her attention already drifting off to something else. “So where’s Fluttershy? She is coming, right?”

The unicorn blinked, and shook her head, throwing off the surprise. “Um, yes, yes she is. She said she had to get her house in order and get ready. Also she was going to see if Pinkie or Rarity wanted to come.”

Rainbow snorted. “Pinkie, yeah, but not Rarity. That girl’s got no interest in any of the fun stuff.” An answering snort from Applejack turned both ponies’ heads in her direction, and Rainbow raised an eyebrow. “What?”

“Nothin’ important,” the earth pony said, “just that Rarity might surprise you on that. You’re right about this, though, this ain’t really up her alley. ‘Sides, she’s got her store to work on.”

“Speaking of which,” Twilight said, as a thought crossed her mind. “Don’t you have your farm to work on?”

Applejack waved it off. “Big Macintosh can handle it without me for a while, and if anything serious comes up, I can always just relog. Ain’t a problem.”

The unicorn frowned. “Are you sure? Because I really d-“ Applejack’s face cut her off, the earth pony’s green eyes suddenly filling her field of vision.

“Twilight, I ain’t about to let you three go off into the middle of the Everfree without me,” she said, as the unicorn took a step back. “You heard Rainbow; that place is crawling with critters both normal and not, and these ain’t your Theatrum constructs, either, so you’ve got a lot fewer options. I know you can’t come to no real harm, but I can tell you from experience that bein’ on the business end of an angry bear is still not something you want to feel.”

Twilight blanched, as her systems provided her with some unpleasant and entirely unsolicited speculation on the subject. “Besides, it sounds like fun,” Applejack said, turning away and closing her inventory screen, “and I don’t want to miss out on it. Clear?”

The unicorn nodded, smiling. “Clear, Applejack. And thanks.”

“Shoot, ain’t even a thing. Any case, I’m all set,” she said, securing her saddlebags. “How about you girls?”

“Been ready,” Rainbow said, hovering over the door.

“All set,” Twilight said, her own saddlebags settling into place. “Let’s head on out.”

-oOo-

“So Pinkie’s not coming?” Twilight asked, brow furrowed. That was odd. Pinkie was normally the first to jump at these things. Fluttershy shook her head.

“She had an away message up. She’s been called away on an emergency of some sort. It didn’t say what kind.”

“Another one, huh?” Twilight looked at Rainbow, surprised.

“This happens a lot?”

“All the time, sugarcube,” Applejack said with a smile. “Pinkie’ll stay in town for days, weeks, sometimes years, then poof! She’s gone for who knows how long, only to come back later as if nothing ever happened. You learn to live with it.”

“Huh. And nobody knows where she goes?”

“Not usually. Sometimes she tells us, but not always,” Fluttershy said. “She’s never gone all that long.”

“Alright!” Rainbow said, smacking her back hooves together. “Pinkie’s not coming, Rarity’s busy, and time’s a-wasting! So let’s get a move on!”

“Oh, that reminds me,” Fluttershy said, reaching into her saddlebags. “Rarity made us all blankets.”

“Blankets?” Twilight asked, perplexed. “Why would we need blankets?”

“Forest gets cold, Twilight,” Applejack replied, taking hers from Fluttershy and stowing it away. “They didn’t skimp on the discomforts when they designed The World, here, especially in places like the forest. It’s meant to be a recreation of reality, remember.”

“Hm. That makes sense. I’ll have to make sure to thank her when we get back.”

“Right,” Rainbow said. “When we get back. But, you know, in order to get back, we kind of have to leave.”

Twilight and Applejack shared a look, and the earth pony broke into a chuckle. “Alright, Dash, alright. We’re going. Twilight, you’ve got the map. Which way do we go?” The unicorn nodded, and with a thought and a flash of her horn, her cube provided them with an arrow, pointing towards a certain section of the treeline.

“If nothing else,” she said, as they started walking, “it should be an adventure.”