• Published 10th Mar 2012
  • 10,968 Views, 553 Comments

Directive: Grow - Dragon Dreaming

  • ...
10
 553
 10,968

Semper Liberi: Victoria

CheckMem.exe → Diagnostic complete. All systems normal. Ending crisis recovery mode.

Twilight jerked upright, her thoughts scattering in every direction like a flock of startled pigeons and legs flailing about, until she managed to gather all four hooves beneath her. She locked eyes with Pinkie, who was sitting next to the wooden horse head in the center of the library floor, and they stared at each other, Twilight frozen with surprise.

Pinkie giggled, and Twilight flushed, her ears flattening against her skull in embarrassment. “Good morning, sleepyhead!” the pink mare said, trotting over and touching her nose to Twilight’s. “Everything check out?”

The unicorn returned the gesture, and nodded, casting her eyes over the slumbering forms of Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, who, judging by the text on the screens floating just above them, were still in recovery mode. Twilight breathed a sigh of relief; neither of them were showing signs of actual damage.

“What happened?” she asked, turning back to Pinkie. The mare scratched at her chin, and shrugged.

“You should probably ask her,” she said, and pointed towards the door. Twilight turned, and grinned; hovering just over the doorway arch was the sun in glory, it’s flames already reaching to give her a greeting touch.

A movement in the doorway caught her attention, and thus she was ready when a frantic white unicorn barreled into her, and immediately started checking her over. “Oh, darling, you’re safe!” cried Rarity, as she straightened out Twilight’s mane. “I was so worried when that monstrous thing exploded and I was forced out of the system. I rushed right over, darling, and you’ll be happy to know that the library looks no worse for wear!” The unicorn’s eyes fell on Rainbow and Fluttershy, and she gasped. “Oh my goodness! Are they alright?”

“They’ll be fine, Rares,” said Applejack, who had entered behind her. “They’re just in crisis recovery mode. See?” The orange mare placed one hoof on Rarity’s shoulder, and pointed with the other, indicating the screens.

“That … sounds bad.”

“Crisis Recovery is a safety measure, akin to automatic disconnection for users,” said the sun, having moved to hover over the sleeping pegasi. “It protects AIs from critical system shocks and repairs any damage they may have received. Fear not; they will awaken shortly.”

“Frankly, I’m surprised we got out unscathed,” said Twilight. “That explosion looked dangerous.”

“It was,” said the moon, and Twilight turned to find the pale orb hovering just behind her. “Which is why our sister warned us, and why we covered you in our barrier. She was right to call for it. It does not do to ponder what might have happened had you not been guarded.”

Silence reigned in the room as everyone’s thoughts wandered over the many and mostly gruesome possibilities. In the silence, first Rainbow Dash, then Fluttershy stirred, then jerked awake, in a mirror Twilight’s earlier rising panic. She had to admit, it was a little funny from the other side.

“O … kay,” said Raindow, eyes darting from pony to pony to sun to moon. “I … take it we won, then?”

“In a manner of speaking,” Celestia answered. “The infection is purged, and the library is undamaged. We had feared we would have to purge the library as well to be rid of the problem, so that is a victory. However, we were unable to trace the origins of the virus.”

“We were not expecting it to self destruct,” said Luna, her normally soft tones harsh and loud. “Such was our failure … and one that we shall not make again.”

“Wait. Again?” asked Rainbow, raising an eyebrow. “You mean there’s more of those things?”

“Even if there are not, we will be assuming there are,” said Celestia. “Programs, no matter their sophistication, must be created by an intelligence; programs such as that are designed to be malicious. We have not found the person responsible, so the probability of another such attack is disastrously high.”

“Is the library at risk?” Twilight asked, already considering ways to prevent another incursion. It was a little exciting, actually; while she’d pass on the danger, fighting the virus, rewriting code, and coming up with solutions to problems on the fly had been … exhilarating.

“Unlikely,” answered Luna, and she forced down a twinge of disappointment. “The library is designed to be extremely difficult to assault from outside. We have reviewed its records of the attack, and confirmed that the program was planted during the library’s initial construction, and even then, it is no small thing to subvert a construct of the Library’s power. It attacked when it did because the activation of Theatrum presented an opportunity.”

All six of the ponies present looked over at the wooden head, with varying expressions of trepidation, and Fluttershy shifted to place Rainbow between herself and the head. “Is … Theatrum safe?” Twilight asked.

“It is being rebuilt; your actions within have provided a firm foundation for the reconstruction,” said Celestia. “You are to be commended. All six of you.”

Twilight smiled, and watched the others; each of them reacted differently to the praise. Fluttershy withdrew even further, while Rainbow puffed out her chest and somehow gave the impression of preening without actually doing so. Rarity batted her eyelashes, and gave a flip of her hair, while Pinkie’s grin grew impossibly wide. Applejack ducked her head, and was the only one to speak. “Aw, shoot,” she said. “T’was only neighborly.”

“Would that more held to your definition of neighborly, Applejack,” said Luna, drawing a blush from the mare. “In truth, were it not for the six of you, this would have taken far longer to resolve. You have found strong allies, Twilight Sparkle. Keep them close.”

“There is one final matter,” said the sun, and all eyes turned to her. “This incident was not invisible, and your involvement,” and her flames pointed to Rarity, Fluttershy, and Applejack, “is known to the general public, and the public will have questions. You will likely be in for a great amount of attention, from those who reside here and from the general media. We ask for your discretion; Twilight, it is up to you to decide how much you wish to share of the Library’s nature, but beyond that, please do not share the details of the virus.”

“I got no problem with that,” said Applejack, “but, if you don’t mind my asking, why not? Ain’t this the kind of thing we want people to be on the lookout for?”

“It is,” answered Luna, “but accuracy is paramount in matters such as this. It is better that they receive our report directly than hear a distorted version from the media.”

Applejack nodded. “Makes sense. Should we just tell ‘em to wait for the official report?”

“Please,” said the sun. “We regret that we must take our leave. There is much to be done. Once again, you have our thanks. And Twilight, remember – you may call on us if ever you have need.”

The unicorn nodded, and all six mares bowed. Sun and moon flared, and were gone, leaving the room in silence.

-oOo-

“That … that’s a lot of people.”

“They weren’t kiddin’ when they said we’d get some attention for all this, were they?”

Twilight shook her head, and went back to staring out the window. The crowd was … huge. To put it lightly. Every single creature type that she remembered seeing when she’d first been born was in view, a few she hadn’t ever seen before. Like the giant armadillo. Interestingly, she knew it was an armadillo; whoever had filled her database had had strange ideas of what was important information and what was not.

“Didn’t you come through this crowd to get back in here?” she asked.

“Yep. But that weren’t too hard. A little shoving cleared the way,” said Applejack, who was sitting right beside her, and similarly staring out the window. “They aren’t looking for people going in. Or they weren’t. Probably are now.”

The unicorn nodded, and continued to observe the crowd. Something was happening; she could see people starting to turn away from the tree, as if something within the crowd itself was getting their attention. Interesting.

“Why are there still so many?” she asked. “Didn’t Celestia and Luna already tell them what was up?”

“Eeyup. I think about half of them went home.”

She blinked, and turned to look at her friend. “Half?”

“Yep.”

She turned back to the crowd. “Wow.”

The sounds of wings and the flow of air heralded the return of Rainbow Dash, and before long the cyan Pegasus had joined them at the window. “They’ve pretty much got us surrounded,” she said, and Twilight nodded. “It’s odd, though. You’d think they’d come right up to the door and look in the windows or something, but they’re just staying off in the distance.”

“Oh, that’s because Semper’s denying access,” said Twilight. “If you aren’t on the list, you can’t cross its control area.”

“Smart,” said Rainbow. “Who’s on the list?”

“Just us six. And those with the proper authority.” Twilight frowned. “Which appears to limited to systems administration and criminal investigations. Semper’s … rather strict.” She shook her head. “Voluntariae have permanent, 32 hour access. Fluttershy and Applejack have temporary access-” Her horn flashed, and she grinned. “Make that permanent access - to the library.”

“Why is this place locked down so tight, anyway? And I don’t mean because of the virus; the security on this place is about as good as that on Town Hall, if not better,” Applejack said, leaning against the windowsill.

“Well,” said Twilight, rubbing her chin, “if you think about it, it makes sense. The library is an archive of a massive amount of data; the mythologies of multiple races, the creative exploits of millennia of talented sapients, treatises on philosophy, scientific findings; the accumulated history of multiple worlds, including The World.”

Applejack turned to look at the books, her eyes wide. “All that? All here?”

Twilight nodded. “There’s enough knowledge here to keep an AI like me busy for centuries. And keeping all that knowledge safe from tampering requires a hefty amount of security. Most of this stuff is also available at the Town Hall, but that facility serves multiple purposes.” Twilight leaned over to Applejack, lowering her voice a touch. “And it’s rather lacking in terms of the creative section.”

Her friend nodded slowly, and gave her a look she couldn’t quite read. Darn. She’d thought she’d gotten those down. “And they put you in charge of it all.”

“Yes.”

“All on your own.”

Not all on her own,” said Rainbow, puffing out her chest. “She’s got me helping her.”

AJ looked at Rainbow, and her eyes focused on the badge just above the pegasus’ ear. “Is that what that Voluntariae thing is all about?”

“Yep! Pinkie, Rarity, and yours truly are Twilight’s crew!”

“And that don’t interfere with your normal work.”

“Generally no,” said Twilight, shaking her head. “The great majority of the work here is handled by the library itself; I’ve mostly busied myself with learning what the place has to offer, and deciding how best to give the public access. I mostly need Voluntariae to give different perspectives on things … and the occasional emergency. Like today. Though I rather think that’s going to be an exception to the rule.”

“So it’s more like we’re there if she needs us,” said Rainbow, and Twilight nodded.

“Exactly.”

“Huh. Could you use another hand?”

The unicorn stared at Applejack, eyebrows raised. “Really?”

“Well, sure, why not?” the mare said, grinning. “It sounds like you could use my skills; there’s a reason this Library is a tree, Twilight, and that’s because it’s gonna be growing. And I know how to grow systems.”

“Um … if you don’t mind, I’d be willing, too.”

All three of them turned to look at Fluttershy, surprise on each of their faces.

“You’re volunteering, Fluttershy? That’s unusual,” said Rainbow.

“Well … I was listening, and I think it’s a good thing you’re doing here,” the pegasus said, nervously crossing her hooves. “There’s just so much out there that people don’t know, and have never experienced, and might never experience, and it sounds like this place would let them do that. And, um, I don’t know what I’ll be able to do to help, but I’d like to offer.”

“I tooooooold you,” said Pinkie, nudging Rainbow in the side. Twilight frowned. She would really have to start paying more attention to her surroundings; first Fluttershy and now Pinkie had snuck up on her. “You owe me a milkshake.”

“Yeah, yeah. We’ll talk,” said Rainbow, waving her off.

“You’re sure about this, you two?” asked Twilight. “I can’t promise that there won’t be other problems like today’s.”

“That just makes me more sure of it, sugar cube,” said Applejack, setting her hat in place. “I sure as sugar am not going to leave you to face things like that all on your own. I know, Rainbow, she’s got you. That don’t change my point.”

Twilight nodded, and turned to look at the yellow pegasus. “Fluttershy?” She nodded, her hummingbirds tweeting an acknowledgement; Twilight couldn’t help but grin at that.

“Well alright, then. Semper?”

The starry head winked into existence, two of the stars zipping towards the two mares and solidifying. “Registering Fluttershy, of the Everfree Nature Preserve, and Applejack, of Sweet Apple Acres, as volunteers in service to the Bibiothecaria. Semper Liberi welcomes you, Voluntariae.”

Twilight watched, heart thumping, as Fluttershy and Applejack took their badges and stuck them in place; Fluttershy’s firmly within her mane, and Applejack’s upon her hat. Pinkie’s squeal vocalized the glee in her own heart, and she broke into a grin as the pink pony wrapped them all up in a single, giant hug.

“Holy pink elephant lollipops, this is awesome! And you know what it calls for?” Pinkie said, releasing them from the hug.

“A party?” Applejack said, re-adjusting her hat.

“Woah! How’d you know?”

“Lucky guess.”

“You’re a good guesser, AJ. But yeah! A party! And it just so happens that that’s also our ticket out of here,” the pink mare said, nodding decisively.

“How do you figure?” asked Rainbow.

“Shhhhhhh! Listen!”

The room fell silent, everyone’s ears perked. Twilight’s swiveled toward the door, in unison with the rest of them, and she blinked. There was … a kind of thumping, from outside; deep and rhythmic. It sounded kind of like …

“Drums,” she said, and Applejack nodded.

“You didn’t,” said Rainbow, giving Pinkie a sideways look.

“She did.” They turned at the voice, and Twilight did a double-take; Rarity had just emerged from door to her personal room, with a clothing cart in tow. “It’s rather a good plan, actually, and to complete it, I have put together your party attire,” the unicorn said, items already floating off the cart.

“Fluttershy, Applejack, and myself are the most likely to be accosted, as we were seen entering the library during the quarantine. You three, though,” she said, gesturing to Rainbow, Pinkie, and Twilight, “would be fair game if you were seen leaving. But if everyone’s attention is on the dance floor, then we should be able to sneak out without too much trouble, and join in the festivities. Follow?”

Twilight nodded, eyes glued on the clothing that was floating in front of her. “And ... these are for …?”

“Disguises, darling. One doesn’t go to a party without proper attire,” Rarity replied. “Come now, get dressed! We have an escape to pull off.”

-oOo-

“Pinkie?” she said, her voice a low murmur as they slipped into the crowd. They’d separated into two’s, and she’d gone with Pinkie.

“Yeah, Twilight?” The pink pony was navigating the crowd with ease that came from long practice, and the unicorn was finding it a little difficult to keep up.

“Why am I escaping? That’s my house, I live there.” She sidestepped around a pony, giving the rather large stallion an apologetic smile.

“Because if you didn’t you couldn’t attend the party! Duh!”

Huh. That … actually made a good amount of sense.

“How did you set this up, anyway?” she asked, nudging her gold-rimmed shades back up a touch.

“Twilight,” said Pinkie, halting and adjusting her hat, which was the spitting image of a pink birthday cake, “I am the premier party pony of all of Everfree, and I know everypony and everybody in town! And that includes awesome DJs like …”

They broke through the crowd, and into the open. Without all the bodies in the way, Twilight had a clear view of the actual party set-up, and she stared, wide-eyed. A massive dance floor had been set up, just in front of an equally impressive stage, upon which was smorgasbord of musical electronics and an enormous speak stack. At the back of stage, between the speakers, a screen nearly the size of her tree featured a larger than life view of the two DJs on stage.

“Marty?”

“Yes! You’ve met?” asked Pinkie, cocking her head and grinning.

“Once.”

“And, of course, the amazing, stupendous, and radical DJ-PON-3!” Pinkie said, pointing to the blue-maned white unicorn right next to the mastiff. “That’s just her stage name. Her real name is Vinyl Scratch.”

Twilight narrowed her eyes. She’d seen that pony before, too. Aha – her picture was on the side of that club Rainbow had mentioned. The Scratch. “She works at the club?”

“Works there? Silly,” Pinkie said, rolling her eyes. “She owns it! And Vinyl is always down for a good party! Now come on, Twilight! Get out on that dance floor and shake your groove thang!”

Twilight froze, and planted her hooves, firmly resisting Pinkie’s attempt to push her into the middle of the dance floor. “Shake my what? And aren’t we trying to blend in?”

“Your groove thang! You know, dance!” Pinkie draped herself over Twilight’s back, placing her face next to the unicorn’s. “Look, you’re dressed for a party, and you’re rockin’ this swag, here,” she said, nudging Twilight’s white hooded sweatshirt and the large, golden T that she was wearing around her neck. “If you don’t get out there and start having fun, you’re gonna stick out like a sore horn. Trust me, when everybody else is dancing, it’s the mare who isn’t that gets noticed.”

Twilight stared at the dance floor. It was conspicuously empty. “Pinkie, nobody else is dancing.”

The earth pony looked up at the dance floor, and gasped. “You’re right! That just won’t do! It’s not a party without dancing! I’ll take care of that!”

Twilight blinked, and stared, as her friend shot off across the dance floor, heading directly for the stage. She opened her mouth to shout after her, and quickly closed it, eyes flicking from side to side at the people surrounding her. Pinkie’s antics had definitely attracted their attention, and they were staring at her and whispering to themselves.

She ducked her head, flipping the hood of her sweatshirt up in an attempt to hide. This was bad. This was very bad. They were going to start asking questions, and she had no idea what to say. Would they get angry? She didn’t want to make them angry, but if she said too much, then Celestia and Luna would get angry, and if she made them angry she could lose the library. But if she made the people here angry then nobody would come to the library, either, and then she’d lose it anyway because she’d have failed to make it a success. Oh yes. This was very, very bad.

“Hey!” She clamped down on the urge to jump, and turned her head, very slowly to see who had addressed her. Two faeries were hovering just beside her, female, by the look of them, one with a faint blue glow about her, and the other faintly yellow. The blue one floated a little closer, a suspicious look on her face. Twilight could only stare. She was caught. It was totally over.

“Listen … are you okay?” Twilight blinked. “You didn’t get dragged into this by Pinkie, or anything, right?” That … was not the question she’d been expecting. The faerie tilted her head. “I only ask because you look kind of nervous and Pinkie’s not always the most observant of people and she sometimes can put people in situations they aren’t ready for. I haven’t seen you around before. Are you new?”

Twilight’s jaw worked a couple times, but no words would come. The faerie didn’t know her. Of course she didn’t know her! Probably half the people in this crowd didn’t know her! She’d only been out of the library, what, three times in the past two weeks? And Everfree wasn’t exactly what she’d call a small community. Not that she’d seen any others, but based on the server map-

“Wow, you really are nervous,” the faerie said, and sighed. “This isn’t exactly the right kind of party for newbies, anyway. It’s a weird impromptu thing. Tell you what,” she said, patting Twilight’s nose, “Kvieta and I’ll stick with you, alright?” The unicorn nodded, her eyes slightly crossed to keep the tiny creature in view; she had to suppress a giggle. She was so small! And she was acting all protective!

The faerie grinned, and floated back a ways. “I’m Sinaihe. What’s your name?”

“Oh, I’m Tw-”

“Hellooooooooo, Everfree!” Pinkie’s voice, amplified to almost painful levels, cut her off, and drew all eyes to the stage. “And welcome to this super awesome impromptu party!” The pink pony had commandeered a microphone, and was front and center in the middle of the stage. “This is your resident party pony and hostess Pinkie Pie speaking, and I’m here to introduce our super awesome DJs! Everybody, please, give it up for The Alpha Dog, the Mudstep Master, the best DJ to ever come out of Hundo Urbog; Marty the Mastiff!”

The DJ raised a massive paw as the music suddenly took a turn for the odd, and the crowd roared its appreciation. Twilight blinked, surprised; she wasn’t sure about the music herself, but it seemed the crowd was in favor. That or they just really liked Marty.

“And, of course, a pony who needs no introduction, but is going to get one anyway because you’re supposed to do that, and also she’s just that cool; the Mistress of Music, the Mixer Magician, the stupendous, sensational, and all-around awesome DJ PON-3!”

The white-coated unicorn grinned, and the music came to a sudden, screeching halt; a sound that repeated itself in a strange, rhythmic fashion. Twilight winced; once again, her reaction was opposite to the crowd’s, which went just about crazy. They liked that sound? “You really are new,” Kvieta said, and she flushed. “Just relax. You’ll get used to it. And most of it’s not like that, anyway.”

“Yeah, it’ll be good,” said Sinaihe, flipping her hair. “They’ve got great rhythm and really, really wide selection.”

“I want to thank you all for sticking around!” Pinkie continued, as the applause and cheering died down. “I dunno how many of you all saw that weird stuff that was happening with the tree over there, but I figured that since it was all taken care of, which is totally a thing to have a party about, and since everyone was here already, I’d put this all together! And Marty and PON-3 are so awesome, they got all this going faster than you can say Jack Robinson! Well, maybe not faster, but as fast! Okay not as fast, but-”

Marty’s claw nudged Pinkie in her flank, and she looked at him, eyebrow raised. He raised one back, and made a rolling gesture with his paw. “Oh. Right. Moving on. So anyways, they’re awesome! And there’ll be food and drinks for anyone who wants them soon, because of some other awesome people who you should totally thank when they get here. But I want to tell you the real reason I put this party together.”

Pinkie pointed with a hoof, directly at Twilight, and the unicorn ducked her head once again. Dangit, Pinkie, they were supposed to be keeping a low profile! Low! “I made a new friend this past week! Her name is Twilight Sparkle, and she is awesome! And this, ladies and gentleguys, is her welcome party! Come on, Twilight, come out where people can see you!”

Sinaihe sighed, and Kvieta chuckled. “You’d best do it,” the yellow faerie said, and tugged on her hood. “She’s not gonna stop until you do.”

Resigned, Twilight stepped forward, out to the center of the dance floor, and turned to the face the crowd. Oh stars above, this was a lot of people. And all looking at her. “She’s only two weeks out of the pods, so go easy on her, folks! Come on, Sparkie, wave hello!”

Twilight grinned awkwardly, and raised a hoof, and the entire crowd waved back. “Alright! Give it up for Twilight!” The roar of voices nearly deafened her; it was louder than it had been even for Vinyl. She stared, open-mouthed, until Sinaihe tapped her on the horn.

“Everfree likes new people. If you couldn’t tell.”

Twilight swallowed. “I’ve been getting that impression.”

“Yay, Twilight! Alright, everybody, I’m gonna get off the stage so that the party can really start! And gosh darn it, somebody go join her on the dance floor so she’s not all by her lonesome! Oh wait, some already have. But still! More! It’s a party! Dance! Have fun! Pinkie out!”

The music resumed, and the crowd fairly charged the dance floor. Twilight found herself forced up against the stage, surrounded by creatures, each wanting to shake her hoof and wish her welcome. Almost before she could think, she was lifted up from the floor and onto the stage, next to a waiting, grinning Pinkie Pie. She blinked up at Marty, and managed to regain enough clarity to nod him her thanks. He grinned back at her, and returned to his equipment.

“See? Told you I’d take care of it,” said Pinkie, waving at the dance floor.

“You certainly did,” was all Twilight could think to say.

“Ready to dance?”

“Um … no.”

Pinkie stared at her. “No?”

“I’ve never danced before. How do you do it?”

“Just move to the music! Feel the rhythm and let it take over! Like this!

Twilight watched, as Pinkie began to move. There was certainly a pattern to the motions, and as she listened to the music (which as the faeries had said was rather unlike the examples the DJs had shown earlier), she could begin to see, or, well, feel, the connections. Her ears began to twitch, in time to the music, and she bobbed her head.

“Yeah! You got the start of it! Now get the rest of your body into it!”

Taking a deep breath, Twilight steeled herself, and began to dance.

-oOo-

Twilight stumbled into her room, dropping her party attire upon the floor and heading straight for her bed. “Hello, bed,” she said, flinging the covers back and hopping in. “I am very, very glad to see you.”

It had been very long and very tiring day. Up at 7:00, read a book, picked out jewelry, fought off a virus, saved her library, and attended a party. A very long party. From the sounds of things, it still wasn’t quite finished, and it was already 29:34. That was okay though. They were just having fun.

She had to admit, the party had been a blast, once things got started properly, and everybody had been so wrapped up in the whole thing that nobody had even mentioned the virus, not even to Applejack, who it turned out was catering the thing. Seemed party food was somewhat different than regular, too; just there for the flavor. It had been good though.

She gave a contented sigh, and snuggled down into the covers. In retrospect, the day had been a good one. The virus was troubling, but they had handled it, and she’d gained two Voluntariae she probably wouldn’t have otherwise. Friends, really. She smiled, closing her eyes. Friends. Now that, she could call a victory.