• Published 25th Nov 2013
  • 3,243 Views, 219 Comments

Stop Thinking For A Minute - ThatBlueScreenGuy



My day had been so normal. Now there's a draconequus in my room. How did he get there? He punched me in the face. Now he's going on about protecting all of reality. Yeah, I think I need to sit down.

  • ...
7
 219
 3,243

I Should Learn His Name...

The train arrived at Canterlot station around noon time.

The Gang (Twilight and her friends (and Spike)) and I were invited to a royal wedding of some kind and were put in charge of the, process, I guess you could say, of making sure it went smoothly and to the happy couples liking.

We sat on the seats in the train car, taking up three seats on either side. I sat next to Spike, because when we met, we instantly became bros. Shit just happens like that.

Everyone was sitting around, discussing what they were looking forward to about the wedding. Fluttershy was put in charge of the choir. She had to use songbirds. Made no sense to me as to why they didn’t just use ponies, but whatever.

Pinkie was put in charge of the reception, and to show her enthusiasm, she jumped on the nearest cake she could find.

Applejack was put in charge of the catering, though I have no idea why. She’s good at farming, not cooking. There are probably others much more qualified to do the job.

Rainbow Dash was tasked with pulling off a sonic rainboom when the bride and groom finish their “I do”’s. She, of course made that adorable face she makes when she sees or hears something, and I quote,”So awesome”.

Rarity was told to make the dresses for the bride and her bridesmaids. She then proceeded to pass out onto a conveniently placed couch.

Twilight was put in charge of making sure that everything goes according to plan. No real surprise there.

What was surprising, however, was the secondary note that was given to only me. I read it, and found out that I had a secret job of making sure that this wedding was something that no one would forget for a long time. Basically, I was told to be myself, and go have fun.

When we got the letter from Celestia, she told us what to do, and who was getting married.

Apparently, Twilight had a brother that she didn’t bother to tell anyone about. And that he was getting married to a Princess Mi Amore Candenza. I took italian before I was thrown into Equestria, and I guessed that this princess had something to do with love.

After a very catchy song about Twilight and her BBBFF (Big Brother Best Friend Forever), we made our way to the Ponyville train station, where we got on the train, and headed for Canterlot.

The ride was pretty anti-climactic. Not much happened until we came across the city limits of Canterlot.

No one had commented (or seemed to notice) the big ass shield that surrounded the city. Everyone either ignored it, or was completely oblivious to the fact of its existence. That is, until we were about five feet from it.

“We’re here! We’re here!” Pinkie shouted, jumping out of her seat, and pointing out the window.

Everyone got to a window and looked around. I had to lean over Spike to see through the nearest window.

There were a lot of guards hanging around the station. They all stood at attention, as though they were in the presence of a superior. I never really understood why they do that.

“Whoa,” Rainbow said as she walked out of the train. “what’s with all the guards?”

Everyone followed her out, and Rarity said from next to her,”I'm sure they're just taking the necessary precautions. Royal weddings do bring out the strangest ponies.”

Pinkie sneezed, and blew out a bunch of confetti.

“Hey now, S’mores.” I said indignantly. “That’s a hell of a thing to say to a man. Me and Pinkie take offence to that!”

“Yeah!” Pinkie agreed.

Rarity rolled her eyes, though she was smiling as she did so.

“Now lets get going!” she said. “We have work to do!” Then she walked off in a seemingly random direction.

Applejack bumped Twilights hip. “And you've got a big brother to go congratulate.”

Twilight huffed out a breath through her nose. “Yeah. Congratulate. And then give him a piece of my mind.”

Did I forget to mention that Twilights brother forgot to tell her that he was engaged, let alone marrying? Because he did, and now Twilight is pissed at him.

I looked after the departing Twilight. “Should someone follow her to make sure that she doesn’t do anything rash?”
AJ looked up at me, confused. “Twilight? Do somethin’ rash? That don’t seem likely.”

I snorted. “Are we talking about the same Twilight? Because the Twilight I’m talking about caused the entire town to be magically attracted to a doll, and literally fight one another for it, just so she could have a friendship report to send out to Celestia on time.”

AJ got a worried look on her face. “Well, yeah… But she learned from it, Ah think.”

I nodded. “For that situation, sure, but when family is involved in anything, people become the most illogical. I call it Familial Dementia. People become crazy when family is involved.”

AJ looked after where Twilight had walked off to. “Good point… You probably should go after her.”

I sighed. “Yeah, I probably should.”

Then I ran after the angry purple pony, in hopes I got there before shit started to explode. Because, with Twilight, it happens more than you’d think.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

It took me about five minutes to find Twilight, and when I did, she was already chewing out who I assumed to be her brother.

“-ur sister, for pony's sake!” I heard her say.

The stallion next to her gave her an apologetic look. “It's not my fault! Princess Celestia has requested a major increase in security. Didn't you see all the guards at the train station?”

I walked next to Twilight. “Yeah. Maybe there was a reason for it.” The stallion gave me a sidelong look and asked,”And who are you?”

I smiled at the guy, and stuck my hand out. “I’m Connor. Very nice to meet you. I take it that you are Twilights brother? I would say she’s mentioned you, but I only learned you existed today.”

He blinked at that. He then looked over at Twilight.

“You never mentioned me to any of your friends?”

Twilight’s face flushed with embarrassment. “This isn’t about me! This is about why you never told me in person that you were getting married! I had to find out by a note!”

I looked at the stallion. “Lady has a point, dude. What’s your excuse?”

He sighed. “A threat has been made against Canterlot. We don't know who's responsible for it, but Princess Celestia asked that I help provide additional protection. This, you need to see.”

His horn lit up and we teleported to a bridge that connected two towers together. It gave us a perfect view of the city, and the view to the sky was clear of any obscuring buildings.

Without a word, the stallion walked toward the edge of the bridge, and lit his horn up again. When he released his magic, a bright purple beam shot out of his horn, and toward the bubble that surrounded the city. When the beam hit, it caused a shockwave of energy to cascade down the shield, reinforcing it.

The stallion was left gasping, and rubbing a hoof to his head.

“The burden of keeping Canterlot safe and secure rests squarely on my shoulders. Staying focused on the task at hand has been my top priority.” He said, once he caught his breath.

“Kinda a big responsibility to put on just one guy, don’t you think?” I asked.

He looked up at me. “I’m the captain of the guard. It is my responsibility to ensure the safety of the city and its peoples.”

I gave him a look. “Yeah…” I said slowly. “But that doesn’t mean you have to do a Lone Ranger impersonation. You have a guard force for a reason…”

He rolled his eyes. “I don’t expect you to understand.”
‘Understand what?’ I thought. ‘That you don’t know how to use common sense?’

I kept my mouth shut, however, and that gave Twilight an opening to say, “ Okay, okay, I get it. You've got a really important job protecting all of Canterlot with a force field only you can conjure up.”

I interrupted her. “Wait. Only you know how to make the force field to protect the city?”
He gave me a confused look, and nodded. “Yes. Why do you ask.”

I gave him a flabbergasted look. “What, in the ever loving FUCK, do they teach the rest of the guards?! Are they just meant to stand around and look intimidating?! Because you never hedge your bets on just one soldier! That’s just asking for your ass to get invaded!”

The two ponies stared at me with blank expressions.

I sighed, and rubbed the bridge of my nose. “No, never mind.” I said, defeated by the ponies lack of common sense.

They looked back at each other, and left off where I interrupted.

“But still…” Twilight continued. “how could you not tell me about something as big as your wedding? Am I not that important to you any more?”

The stallion (I really should learn his name some time (I never paid attention anytime Twilight said it earlier)) gave Twilight a compassionate look. “Hey. You're my little sister. Of course you're important to me. But I'd understand if you didn't want to be my best mare now.”
Twilight’s eyes widened at that last bit. “You want me to be your best mare?”

“Well…” He gave a small smile. “Yeah.”

Twilight beamed at him. “I'd be honored! But I'm still pretty ticked you're marrying somepony I don't even know! When did you even meet this ‘Princess Mi Amore Cadenza’?”

The stallion gave Twilight a slowly growing smile. “Twily, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza is Cadance, your old foalsitter.”

That made Twilight freeze on the spot. “Cadance?” She asked, shocked. “As in the Cadance? As in the greatest foalsitter in all the history of foalsitters?!”

The stallion gave her a smile, and chuckled. “You tell me. She was your foalsitter.”

Twilight looked like she just found out that she was getting a pony for Christma- wait. That saying doesn’t work here… Well, lets just say she was ecstatic.

I furrowed my eyebrows, and looked at Twilight. “Uh,” I said, feeling lost. “Who’s Cadence?”

Twilight whirled to face me, a broad smile on her face. “Cadance is only the most amazing pony ever! She's beautiful, she's caring, she's kind…”

“Yeah…” I said, deadpan. “Sounds swell. But that doesn’t tell me much about her.”

Twilight ignored me, for some ungodly reason. She spun around to face her brother and said. “How many unicorns can just spread love wherever they go? I only know of one! And you're marrying her!” She started to speak in a sing-song voice. “You're marrying Cadance! You're marrying Cadance!”

The sound of overly loud hooves striking the ground behind us interrupted Twilight’s little dance.
We turned around to see a pony that looked more like candy than an equine.

“I hope I'm not interrupting anything important.” She said in a condescending voice. I just met her, and already I don’t like her.

“Cadance!” Twilight yelled. She jumped in front of the now-identified Cadence, and stated to do a little dance. “Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake! Clap your hooves and do a little shake!” She sang in time to each dance move. It was adorable.

Cadence looked down at Twilight. She gave a small sneer. “What are you doing?”

Twilight smiled at her, apparently not noticing the bad attitude in front of her. “Cadance, it's me, Twilight!”

Cadence’s face became uninterested and bored, and she brushed past Twilight. She walked over to the stallion and hugged him, her bored mask slipping into a wicked grin that only I seemed to notice.

The stallion hugged back, and said to Twilight. “I've gotta get back to my station, but Cadance will be checking in with all of you to see how things are going. I think I speak for both of us when I say we couldn't be more excited to have you here. Right, dear?”

Cadence gave a fake smile and responded, “Absolutely.” She didn’t sound too excited, though I was the only to notice it. Again. Man, these ponies can be dense…

The stallion smiled at Twilight. “ Well, we'll let you get to it.” He said. Then the ‘happy’ couple left.

Twilight frowned. “That was odd… She was a lot meaner that I remember her.” She looked up at me. “What do you think?”

I shrugged. “You knew her when you were a child. A child’s memory can often exaggerate details to fit their fantasies better. I can say this, though. She was not friendly. Not in the least.”

Twilight looked after the departed couple. “Weird…”

We entered a moment of thoughtful silence. Twilight presumably thinking about Cadence and her brother, and I thought about how I would make this wedding something to remember.

“Welp.” I said, breaking the silence. “I got to go. Got some friends in the city that I haven’t seen since the Tag Games.”

Twilight shook her head, smiling slightly. “I still can’t believe that you won.”

I snorted. “And I can’t believe that the prize for winning was a sticker of a golden star, with the captions ‘Good Job!’ written under it.”

She shrugged. “Yeah, I never understood why that was the prize. Seems to me that it is a very short term prize for such effort. I imagine that the sticker is ruined now.”

I gave her a look. “Fuck that. I had that bitch framed.” I smiled. “Anyway, I got some people to see, got a job to do.”

“Ok, Conner,” She said. “I’ll see you later.”

With that, we split ways, heading to do our jobs.

Question is, how do I do mine?

Author's Note:

So, shorter chapter compared to the others, but I felt that I should get this one out.

I've kinda been a little lazy when it comes to this story. I've gotten slower and slower at writing the chapters, and I have no excuse other than procrastination. I would come home, get on Xbox with my friend, play for an hour or three, all the while thinking to myself 'Yeah, I'll get writing soon.' Then the hours come to an end, I have free time, and I start to do something that isn't writing the chapter. Honestly, that's my only excuse. Grade-A level procrastination.

So the next chapter will be the finishing to 'A Canterlot Wedding', and I'd like your help writing it. Connor is tasked with making sure that the wedding will be remembered for some time. We all know that the wedding will be, regardless, but Connor doesn't. So he needs a plan. An idea for antics that will help liven up the party. That will put a smile on everyone's face. That's where you, the reader, comes in. In addition to helping me come up with story ideas for later chapters, I'm going to task you with giving me an idea for the little plan that Connor will have for the wedding. The only specifics that I ask for are that it involve Deep Breathe and Signal Flare in some way, shape, or form. If you do that. and I like the idea, I'll incorporate it into the story of the next chapter (maybe merge it with an idea of mine, if I have one).

You know the drill by now. And story ideas for Connor for future chapters (including the request above) are appreciated!

Thanks For Reading!
~ThatBlueScreenGuy