• Published 25th Nov 2013
  • 7,494 Views, 170 Comments

Slow to Realize - Captain Unstoppable



It's Hearts and Hooves Day in Ponyville again and Rainbow Dash is alone again this year, but not from a lack of trying. She had set her sights on the non-talkative brother of her best friend? Will she find a way to get the Earth Pony's atte

  • ...
13
 170
 7,494

Part 4

Slow to Realize
Part 4

Big Mac took a final look at his face. Miraculously, even though Granny had hit him with a cane several times, there was not a sign of a bruise anywhere. That was good news to the stallion as he looked at the clock again. He had thirty minutes left till he went to meet Rainbow at the dance, but he had felt himself look at that clock several times before and each time it said thirty minutes. It was just his nerves getting the better of him, but who would blame him? He had a date with Rainbow Dash!

Once more, that unfamiliar grin started to take over his face as he thought about it. He could still not believe that this date was happening; heck, he was still trying to believe that he had the courage to even ask her on this date. She was in a whole other league compared to him; she was the Element of Loyalty, future Wonderbolt, and the fastest flier in all of Equestria. But he was just a simple Earth Pony. Sure, he might be the strongest one in town, but that didn’t mean much in the outside world.

Finally leaving the bathroom, he started to make his way to his own room, being sure to avoid waking Granny from her nap. Upon entering his room, he moved towards the desk right next to his bed. On top of it were a few folder of the farm’s finances, a picture of him and his family, a few sheets of paper with different problems on it, and an advanced calculus book.

He actually did enjoy math; the idea of being faced with a problem and slowly solving it, was like slowly plowing a field. Once you were done with it, you were proud of your work. As much as he would like to do a problem or two to calm his nerves, he was looking for something else, pulling open a few drawers he tried to look for the right piece of apparel for his date. As much as he liked his yoke, wearing it for this date was probably not the best idea. Instead he fished around till he found what he was looking for.

Mac pulled out a strap of black fabric that was a pre-tied bow tie. Only Unicorns and Pegasus were able to tie bow ties such as this, meaning that Mac had to get his pre-tied. Sure it was a bit dorky, but he believed one should look good for a date. Mac gave a chuckle as he started to place the bow tie around his neck. He had only been on one date in his life, when he was love poisoned, so this was his actual first date. This sent a new bolt of fear through the stallion, one he didn’t even consider till now.

He had no idea how he should act on the date! In desperation he scanned his room trying to find anything that could help him. Besides math books, farm magazines, and a book of the 101 Best Farm Knock Knock Jokes, given to him by Braeburn, his room was bare of any help. Mac’s mind started to race as he tried to recall any advice he might of gotten from Apple family members, but his mind was drawing blanks in his time of need. Mac started to pace back and forth in his room, trying desperately to find the answers to the questions that plagued his mind.

Before Mac could contemplate his problem some more, he heard a knock at the front door, followed by the familiar creek open.

“Oh, you must be the pony Mac is goin out with tonight,” he heard Granny say from downstairs. Mac’s eyes went wide with horror as he heard the sound of two sets of hooves walking around downstairs.

Horse apples!

--
Rainbow could not stop grinning as she flew all the way to Sweet Apple Acres, thinking about what Applejack had said. There was no way that she and Mac would not be the coolest couple at the dance tonight! Sure, they were not technically a couple yet, but who cared! They would be so awesome together! She could hardly wait to see everypony’s reaction when they saw her and Mac together; that she beat every mare out there on getting her hooves around Mac!

She arrived in record time at the farmhouse, touching down a few feet away from the house. Rainbow ran a hoof down the back of her mane to make sure she still had the ponytail going. She really did hope she looked as good as she did back at Rarity’s; with her sudden burst of speed she didn’t know if she still looked like she did back then. Running her hoof through her mane, she was able to feel that the mane clip was still there as well as the ribbon. Well if those are still there, I bet I still look great! Rainbow thought as she advanced towards the farmhouse door and gave a few loud knocks.

Normally from here, Rainbow would just enter. Seeing that she had never really needed to announce her presences with a knock, she would just come through the window to get everypony’s attention. She thought being her first date with Big Mac she should be a bit polite, she was going to open the door when it was opened for her.

Granny Smith was standing on the other side of the door. She looked the same as ever, with her light green coat, to her grey mane. She was leaning on a cane for support as she looked over Rainbow. For some reason Rainbow felt like the old mare was x-raying her, seeing through her right to her soul! This only lasted for a second however before Granny just smiled widely as she wrapped Rainbow Dash in a hug.

“Oh, you must be the pony Mac is goin out with tonight,” she said with a smile. Rainbow blushed a bit from the sudden hug, and before she could even think about returning it, Granny withdrew. “Now come on inside, no need to be waitin here on the porch,” Granny said, laughing to herself as she started to lead Rainbow inside and towards the kitchen.

“Uh, thanks,” Rainbow said, a little lost at what to do with Granny. She had even less contact with the old mare then she did with Big Mac in the beginning. All Rainbow knew about Granny was she was Big Mac, Applejack, and Apple Bloom’s grandmother and raised them all herself. As she followed Granny into kitchen, she heard loud thumps from coming upstairs. Turning towards the noise, Granny just gave out a fit of laughs.

“Oh, don’t mind that, sweetie. Bloom’s just tryin another way to get her cutie mark,” the old mare laughed as she lead Rainbow to an open seat and gestured her to sit in it. Unknown to Rainbow, however, the noise was actually Big Mac trying to escape from his room. Somehow, in less than a second, Granny had moved her dresser in front of Big Mac’s door, sealing the stallion inside. It didn’t help that she tasked Apple Bloom to put as many objects as she could in front of the door to keep Mac busy.

“Now then, dearie,” Granny began as she sat in the chair next to Rainbow, setting her cane against the table. “Yer one of Applejack’s friends, if Ah remember right,” Granny said scratching her chin as if she was thinking.

“Y-yea,” Rainbow answered with a slight stutter: she could not stop looking upstairs whenever there was a large thud. Whatever Apple Bloom was doing, it must be something extra dangerous. “Are you sure Apple Bloom is-“

“Well that’s good,” Granny said cutting her off, as if she had never heard her. “Applejack has always been good at judging character,” Granny stated as she looked at Rainbow with her golden eyes. “But Ah got to check if yer Apple material,” she said with a grin. At that, Granny sat up and started to make her way towards a drawer in the kitchen. Rainbow just watched her, with a mix between a shocked and a confused expression on her face.

“What do you mean, if I’m Apple material?” Rainbow spat. The way the old mare just addressed her was as if Pegesi were not as good as Earth Ponies. “I beat Applejack at the Iron Pony, didn’t I?” she asked as she puffed her chest out, “I’m the fastest Pony in all of Equestria as well! Also I-“ Rainbow was cut off when she suddenly felt something go around her body. Looking down, she saw that Granny was now measuring her waist: how the old mare moved so fast in the blink of an eye confused Rainbow even more. She was about to shout again when Granny removed the measuring tape, and went for her ankles next.

“Hmm…yea got some narrow hips; not good for bearing stallions,” Granny said rubbing her chin as she looked at the number at the measuring tape. “But Ah do recall seein some big stallion Pegasus around town, so yea might do,” she said mostly to herself, but Rainbow heard every word of it. “Yer ankles are far too skinny as well; we'll have to fix that somehow,”

“Wh-what did you just say?!” Rainbow demanded as she felt her face flush in anger. Was she just checking my hips to see if I could bear stallions? Rainbow thought as she glared at the old mare, I can bear anything thrown at me, I am Rainbow Bucking Da-Wait, was she just checking if I could bare a foal from Mac?! “You can’t just go around checking my wa-“ Rainbow was about to shout at Granny, when Granny stuck her hooves into Rainbow’s mouth.

“Why, yea got some white teeth and healthy gums,” Granny said with what sounded like joy in her voice, “But smelling yer breath Ah can tell yea eat junk food. If yer goin to be Mac’s wife, yer goin to need to eat right,” Granny said, withdrawing her hooves and walking towards the counter. “But yea got some pretty looking eyes. As much as Ah love our Apple’s green eyes, some change would do it good,” she added in as an afterthought.

“Now hold on one-” Rainbow was once more cut off when an apple was thrown at her. She was able to catch the apple before it made contact with her face. Looking at the apple the old mare who threw it, Rainbow’s face was growing as red as the apple in anger. “Now this is-”

“Got some sharp reflexes on yea; that’s always a positive trait to have,” Granny said laughing in joy as she watched Rainbow catch the apple. “That Soarin fella wasn’t able to catch that; hit that sucker right in the eye! Had a black eye for a while as well,” Granny laughed as she started to walk around the table.

Soarin told Spitfire he got into a fight, Rainbow thought, remembering seeing Soarin with a black eye. Rainbow was pulled back from her thoughts when she felt her wings being tugged on hard from behind. On instinct Rainbow jumped from her seat, wings flared, looking at whoever dared to pull her wings. Once again, Granny was standing there rubbing her chin, looking at Rainbow with an odd expression.

“Hmm, Ah don’t know much about Pegasus wings admittedly, but they do feel a bit frail. Is it because of yer job? Seen yea workin hard up there, when yer not nappin in our trees. Too much sleep is not good fer a mare your age.You getting enough milk in yer diet sweetie? You’re goin to need to drink a lot of milk if yea want to bear some good looking Apples,” Granny said as she became lost in thought. Rainbow stared at her blankly before shaking her head violently. This old mare was acting as if she and Mac were getting married the next day. Turning her attention back to the old mare, she saw that she was close again examining her mane.

“Got to say, your mane is one of the prettiest Ah ever done seen. Nice and soft too, another good quality for a mother,” she said with a hum as she sat back down in her chair. “Now eat that apple, sweetie, it’s good fer yea! An apple a day makes an Apple come and stay,” she added with a wink. This comment made Rainbow’s face hot as she took a step back from the crazy old mare. Whatever Granny was up to she was not going to stick around for it.

“Now, Ah know mares are not as conservative as they were back in ma day, so tell me, Rainbow, what kind of sexual experience do yea-”

“Granny!” both mares in the room turned to the new voice. Standing in the doorway to the kitchen was Big Mac. His forehead had a bit of perspiration and was panting a bit, but to Rainbow he looked like a knight in shining armor, even with the little black bowtie on. Granny just looked up in Mac in confusion for a second, before laughing and waving her hoof at him.

“Now Mac, Rainbow and Ah were just havin a little mare chat. Yea can just go outside and wait while we-” before Granny could finish, Rainbow had grabbed Mac by his bow tie and was dragging him out the front door, getting as far as way as she could from Granny before anything else could happen. Granny watched the two in a bit of surprise before laughing again, “Now you two get married first before rolling in the hay!” Granny shouted after them, grabbing her cane as she started to follow them stopping at the front door. “After that, yea can roll around as much as yea wants!”

--
Both ponies heard what Granny’s final words were and began to blush a deep red. After getting a few yards away from the farmhouse, Rainbow finally let go of Mac’s neck. After letting go, both of them just stood in an awkward silence. Neither one of them knew how to react to what just happened. Mac felt like he was a little bit more embarrassed than Rainbow was right now; even though she was the subject of Granny’s attack, she was his Granny after all.

His mind started to race once more as he tried to find the words to apologize to her; but what does a stallion say to apologize when his grandmother starts to assess if a mare is right to bare his foals or not? So far their first date was going south; who brings up foals on a first date? Turning to Rainbow he took a deep breath, he wasn’t sure what to say but he needed to break the silence.

“Hey Mac?” It was Rainbow who spoke first. She was looking down at the ground instead of him. Mac just gulped, afraid of what Rainbow might say to him.

“Yes Rainbow?”

“We are not doing dinner at your place for awhile,” she said, looking up with him with a smile, “Or ever.” She added as her smile grew. Mac let out a breath he didn’t know he was holding when he saw that smile.

“Ah don’t have a problem with that,” he said with a calm voice as he took a step closer to Rainbow, and started their walk towards the dance side by side.

Author's Note:

Okay two big shout outs this time. First to Metal Pony Fan for letting me use his idea of Granny. I love his story Earth and Sky, if you have not read that, do it now!

And another BIG shout out to jszellmer, for the edits, and for dealing with drunk emails. I am no role model.