• Published 25th Nov 2013
  • 7,493 Views, 170 Comments

Slow to Realize - Captain Unstoppable



It's Hearts and Hooves Day in Ponyville again and Rainbow Dash is alone again this year, but not from a lack of trying. She had set her sights on the non-talkative brother of her best friend? Will she find a way to get the Earth Pony's atte

  • ...
13
 170
 7,493

Part 3

Slow to Realize
Part 3

Rainbow Dash landed on the front porch of her cloud home. She was still fuming about what Derpy had told her. As much as she would have liked to go find Pinkie and beat her, she needed to still get ready for her big date. She started to grin at the thought as she opened the door of her home.

The cloud home was actually something she made with her own two hooves, and, in as such, every inch screamed ‘Rainbow Dash’. Just walking in, guests are greeted by a very large entrance with a staircase leading to the upper levels, and where a large cloud chandelier was hanging. From the entrance, a pony could either go to the left, where a large kitchen, which she didn’t know how to use, and to the right was a large sitting room, which she never used.

Looking around her home as she entered, a sudden thought entered her mind. I have a lot of space I don’t use, She thought, looking into the sitting room before going up the staircase. Rainbow Dash had built this home knowing she was going to be a future Wonderbolt, and, in being such, she needed it to be cool, awesome, and a house that showed how she was twenty percent cooler than any other pony. Now, however, it was just a constant reminder of how, outside of her friends, she really didn’t have anypony.

That all changes tonight! Rainbow thought, banishing the sad and very unlike ‘Rainbow Dash’ thoughts from her mind as she made her way to her bedroom. Like every other room in the house, it was larger than it needed to be. There was a large king sized cloud bed, two dressers with no clothes in them, a walk in closet with only a few outfits, and a bookcase filled with Daring Do books. Every time she saw the bookshelf, she had to roll her eyes. If Twilight ever saw how many books she owned, she would never hear the end of it.

Pushing the door into the bathroom, she gave another growl. “What is it with me and making everything too big?” she asked herself as she looked around. In all honesty, it was much too large for one pony to use. There was a large sink with only two products on it for manes. She was Rainbow Dash; she didn’t use makeup! There was a large cloud shower that looked like you could fit four ponies in and a bath that could fit maybe six. “Well, maybe Mac can help fill the space,” she said absentmindedly as she went to the shower to start it. That was when her words caught up to her.

Did she really just think that? Of having Big Mac sharing the bathroom with her? Wouldn't that imply he would be living with her, and if he was living with her, wouldn't that mean they shared the same bed? The thought of sharing a bed with Mac crept into her mind, making her blush furiously as she reached for a rain cloud, making sure it had cold water.

“This is our first date!” she shouted at herself as the cloud started to rain the inside of the shower. “I shouldn't be thinking this yet!” she told herself as she took a step into the shower. Sure, she found him attractive, hell, every mare in Ponyville did! Just because she had a date with him, she shouldn't be lusting over his body, right? The thoughts were becoming too confusing and just too much to handle at that moment. Shutting her eyes tightly, she stepped into the cold shower and let the water work it’s magic. “Buck, it’s cold!”

--

As Rainbow Dash was getting into the shower, Big Mac was getting out of his. The warm water relaxed all of his muscles, and left his straw colored mane sticking to the side of his neck. He made sure that he got every speck of dirt off his body and that he didn’t smell like the pigs. Waving his massive hoof over the fogged bathroom mirror, he took a look at himself.

His green eyes were looking right back him as he examined his face. He wasn’t looking for any imperfections or anything, but was trying to see what Rainbow saw. Was he handsome? No, he was a very plain looking Earth Pony. He looked at his full body, still not sure what Rainbow saw in him. Sure, he was a bit bigger than a normal pony, but was that really something that mares took into consideration? Mac had noticed a few mares giving him looks anytime he had gone into town, but was that something Rainbow also found attractive? There were many other ponies out there, especially Pegasi stallions, who had a similar build.

For the life of him, Mac couldn't figure out why Rainbow had accepted a date with him. She was moving so fast through life, seeing the world, saving it, and was on the fast tract of becoming a celebrity. What about him? He was born an Earth Pony, destined to work on the farm his entire life. What could she see in him? As he thought about what she could see in him, he started to think about everything he saw in her.

A delirious smile found its way to Mac’s face as his mind drifted off to watching Rainbow Dash performing stunts above the farms he worked. How her eyes burned with determination whenever she threw herself into something, giving it nothing less than her all. How, whenever her friends needed her, she was there for them. He could have stood there and named off all of Rainbow’s praises. Heck, he could have sang it, but his train of thought was interrupted by three loud raps on the bathroom door. Living in the Apple home, you learned what that meant when you heard that on a door. Granny wanted to talk to you, and you could bet your hide ten to one it was because you were in trouble.

Giving off a light shake, Mac moved to the door, trying to think of what he might have done wrong. He finished all his chores today, Applebloom wasn’t out of school yet, so he didn’t miss picking her up. What did he do? He opened the door and was greeted by three hard whacks on the head by Granny’s cane. He instantly found himself holding his muzzle as he fell to the floor in pain. He fought back letting out a stream of curses that he felt were appropriate for the pain he now had, but the result would be having to hold a bar of soap in his mouth.

“‘bout time you open that there door!” Granny shouted as she stood over her grandson, who was now fighting back a few tears. Even as an old mare Mac would swear she was still stronger than most of the stallions in town. He had, in fact, seen throw a full barrel of cider last week, then complain that it didn’t go far enough.

“Sorry, Granny,” Mac said as he rubbed his muzzle. It didn’t feel like it would bruise; the last thing he wanted was a large bruise on his face when he met with Rainbow. Looking up, he saw her glaring down at her as if she was expecting something. Was he supposed to be apologizing for something? Normally he would immediately tell the truth about what he did and apologize for it, it was an Apple trait to be honest, but he didn’t know what he had done. “Um, did Ah do somethin wrong Grann-” Mac was cut off when Granny hit him with his cane again.

“You bet your hide yea did!” Granny shouted once more as she poked Mac in the forehead hard. “Gettin ready for some date without even tellen your sweet dear Granny who you are datin!” she said, wiping a tear from her eye. She then proceeded to poke him in the head several more times. Mac just put his hooves up and waited for the hard pokes to stop. He didn’t know how Granny figured out he was going on date, but she seemed awfully mad about it.

After a few hard pokes of the cane later, they finally stopped, allowing Mac to look up at his dear, sweet Granny. “Ah ain’t datin nopony,” Mac said standing up, trying to sound as calm as possible after being beaten with a cane. “We are just goin to the dance and from there Ah don’t-” once again Mac was cut off when the cane hit him again. For an old mare, she could move fast. Mac bet she could make a Wonderbolt gack at her speed.

“One date turns into two, than three, and before we know it you're gettin married just like me and your grandad,” she said with a dreamy eyed expression. Every Apple knew that Mac’s grandad proposed to Granny on their third date and the following day they were married. “So Ah got to inspect this mare and make sure she is built to bare an Apple!” she announced. Mac turned a shade of red that should be unhealthy for a pony with a red coat.

“Gr-Granny!” he stuttered out, only to have another whack to the head by the cane.

“Ah don’t want to hear another word, understand mister?” Granny asked, eyeing Mac, who was now rubbing his head, which was throbbing in pain. “Now, Ah’m exhausted and need to rest ma eyes for a while. Now you get ready for yer date,” she said walking off towards her bedroom. Mac watched till Granny entered her room before standing up.

He ran his hoof over his face before walking back into the bathroom to inspect his now hurting face. Ah wonder if the reason Applejack never brought Soarin’ around was because of Granny and not me. He thought as he inspected his face to make sure no bruise was going to form.

--

As Mac recovered from the mental and physical torment his grandmother just put him through, Rainbow Dash was landing in front of the Carousel Boutique, glaring at the store. She didn’t know what was more embarrassing: the fact that she had to come here for advice about dating, or the reason why she had come here in the first place.

After her cold shower, she had gone to her closet to see what she had to wear for the date. But as she entered her much too large closet, the problem confronted her. She only owned four complete sets of clothing and two of them were costumes! She wanted to make an impression on Mac and maybe dressing up some would, but, the problem arose that she didn’t have anything to dress up in.

Rainbow had the dress from the gala. It was probably the only dress she had ever liked, seeing that there were not many frills to it, making it more of her style, but it was way too dressy for something like the Hearts and Hooves Dance. The other dress was one she swore she was never going to wear. The dress was one Rarity had given to her as a symbol of their friendship. Each of the girls got a dress from Rarity that was supposed to show their real beauty, but the dress had so many frills on it that if Rarity hadn’t given it to her and, knowing all the hard work she put into it, Rainbow Dash would have torn it to shreds.

The other two outfits were costumes she had worn on Nightmare Night. There was the Wonderbolt costume that she loved and the costume she was planning on wearing this year. Rainbow had seen the other costume while passing a shop and had to buy it. The costume was a Daring Doo costume and she needed to have it. Besides those outfits, she owned no other pieces of clothing. She owned no jewelry or makeup, having to borrow it from Rarity the times she needed it. That was when the solution to her embracing problem hit her; she needed to get Rarity’s help.

Slowly she approached the door and opened it, afraid that she might be invading on some private time between Rarity and Fancy Pants. The little brass bell above the door dinged to alert the owner that somepony was there to shop.

As Rainbow Dash entered she was greeted to the sight of Rarity prancing around the shop with a large grin on her face as she moved around the shop. She was using her magic to levitate several sheets of fabric as she pranced about. Apparently she was lost in her own little world, seeing that she had not heard the door opening. Rainbow just watched her for a while almost horrified about what she saw. If Mac and I end up as something, is this how I will act? she thought to herself, still watching. As Rarity started to turn around to get something else, she noticed Rainbow Dash and smiled at her.

“Oh Rainbow Dash, Darling, how lucky you are!” she stated as she approached Rainbow. “I never imagined that it would be you to claim Big Mac,” she said with a laugh as he closed the door behind Rainbow and led her inside. Rainbow Dash was about to retort in fury at the comment, but was silenced when Rarity placed a hoof over her mouth, obviously knowing how Rainbow would react to the comment. “Not that I didn’t think you could, but I never saw you show interest in him, or any other stallion, before. Also, with you taking Big Mac, I have to say many single mare, such as myself, are a little jealous that you have taken such a stud,” she laughed, leading Rainbow into the kitchen.

Rainbow had cock her head slightly when Rarity said this. “Wait, I saw you in town with Fancy Pants today. I thought you two were dating,” Rainbow asked as Rarity placed a teapot full of water on the stove. “And how did you know that I was going on a date with Big Mac!” She demanded, slamming her hooves on the kitchen table. Rarity laughed lightly as she levitated a plate of crumb cakes on it to the table.

“Oh Darling, Fancy Pants and I are not dating; he is married after all. He was just doing me a small favor. He is such a gentlecolt to do so, but he did owe me. As for your date, Derpy dropped by giving me the invitation. Doesn’t she look cute with that mane clip?” she laughed again and saw a confused Rainbow Dash. With a wave of her hoof, Rarity let out a sigh. “That is not important right now; you did not come over here to hear that story. You came over here because you are nervous about your date,” she said with a grin. Rainbow turned away from her friend, gritting her teeth while a faint pink blush started to form on her face.

“Well, yea,” she growled out. “But, don’t go turning this into some kind of mushy romance novel thing!” she shouted as she took one of the crumb cakes and ate it furiously. Rarity just kept grinning as she watched Rainbow. If Rainbow could see inside of Rarity’s mind, she would see Rarity already picturing what Rainbow Dash’s dress would look like at her wedding, what kind of fabric she would use for Mac’s suit, and how adorable Apple Bloom would be as a flower filly.

“Now don’t be so embarrassed, Darling; it is quite normal for a pony to be nervous on their first date,” Rarity said, which made Rainbow Dash choke slightly on her cake. Rarity simple ignored this as she closed her eyes and dreamed of the possibility for their date. “So, what is it you wanted to ask me?” she asked, still dreaming.

“Well, I-I-I, I don’t know!” Rainbow blurted out. “This is my first date and to that stupid dance of all things!” she shouted again, making Rarity snap out of her dream. “If this was a race, a stunt, or even battling monsters and gods, I would know what to do! This however, it’s just all so, well all, it’s just stupid! I mean what if I screw up? What would Mac think if I do something really stupid or embarrassing?” she crossed her forelegs and grunted, not liking the fact that for once the all so confident Rainbow Dash was at a true lost. “I really don’t want to mess up in front of Mac.”

Rarity just looked at her friend as a warm smile crossed her face. She didn’t like knowing that her friend was discouraged and, for once, even though she wouldn't admit it, afraid. It made her happy to know she was coming to her with her problems. This might have been the mother in Rarity due to Sweetie Belle, but she couldn't help but feel her heart swell with pride as she watched Rainbow grow into a young mare that knew she didn’t have all the answers.

“You really do like him, don’t you?” Rarity asked, making Rainbow’s blush grow even redder.

“Wh-what?!” Rainbow Dash stuttered, taken back by her friend’s proclamation. Rarity just smiled as the kettle began to whistle.

“Well, you must,” Rarity laughed as she levitated the teapot over to them and began to fill the two tea cups. “Why else would you be so worried about what he thinks?” she asked looking at Rainbow, who looked just about ready to run out of the store. “But let’s forget that part. What part of this stupid dance is making you so nervous?” Rainbow just fidgeted in her seat as she bit her lip.

“Well the whole, well, the…” Rainbow mumbled something barely audible. Rarity sat there levitating her cup of tea to her mouth and took a sip, waiting to see if Rainbow as going to repeat what she said. Rainbow Dash was looking at her cup of tea, not wanting to make eye contact with Rarity, apparently waiting for an answer.

“I’m sorry, Darling, but can you rep-”

“I said, I don’t know what to wear!” Rainbow shouted, obviously angry and embarrassed that she was having this conversation at all. Rarity looked to her friend as a smile crossed her face; soon she was trying to hold back laughter. Dash’s face grew red with anger as she looked at Rarity. She was supposed to be helping her, not making fun of her.

“Fine! If you can’t help I will-” Rainbow Dash was getting up to leave when Rarity held out her hoof to keep her there. After taking a few deep breaths to calm herself down, she looked at Rainbow brightly as she pushed the plate of cakes towards her.

“I’m sorry Rainbow, it’s just I thought I would never live to see the day where you were concerned about what to wear,” she said, laughing a bit. Rainbow looked at her with anger on her face, but it soon melted away and she, too, began to laugh. For a few moments the two mares were laughing to the verge of tears on what Rainbow had said.

“Yea, I guess it is an odd thing for me to say,” she said looking to Rarity, who just nodded. Taking another cake, Rainbow started to munch on it as crumbs started to cover her face. “So, what do you think?” Rainbow asked, mouth full, as crumbs went flying. Rainbow also reached for her tea cup and took a load gulp of the liquid as Rarity levitated a napkin to her own face and wiped away the crumbs that landed on her face.

“Well, first off, I think you need to remember it’s very rude for you to talk with your mouth full,” she said with a groan. Rainbow just shrugged as she took another cake and ate it in a similar fashion. “As for the dance, really just a change in your hair, maybe a mane clip and you should be fine,” Rarity said simply as she took a sip of tea. Rainbow Dash looked at her in surprise.

“Wait, no frilly dresses? No total makeovers? Not even a spa date?!” Rainbow Dash asked, not sure if she was talking to Rarity or a Changeling that was doing a bad impression of the fashionista. Rarity just gave her a smile before laughing lightly.

“Unless you want to do that, Darling, there is no need,” she said in a matter of fact tone. “I think you are overthinking this date. Big Mac is a very simple pony, kind of like you in a few ways. I doubt he is looking to see you come to the dance all dressed up like me. No, I think it would be a surprise just to see you clean up a bit for it, to show that you are really interested in this,” Rarity said with a wave of her hoof. “If I know Big Mac like I think I do, he didn’t fall for some imaginary version of Rainbow Dash that got all dressed up for a date. No, I think he fell for the tomcolt Rainbow Dash that loves to fly and is the Element of Loyalty.” Rarity said pouring herself another cup of tea.

Rainbow sat there, a bit dumbstruck by what her friend had just said. “Wow, that’s, that’s really deep Rarity.” Once more Rarity just laughed as she looked at Rainbow.

“Oh, don’t be giving me the credit, I read it in a fabulous romance novel. Maybe you would like to borrow it?” she asked with a slight giggle.

“Hell, no,” Rainbow said flatly, making Rarity's face fall. “I might be going on a date, but I am not ready to become a mushy mare,” she said as she reached for yet another cake. “No offence.”

“None taken, Darling,” Rarity said with a sigh as she looked at the clock. “Well we might have to start with getting you ready for your date,” she said, making Rainbow glance up at the clock. She only had an hour to get ready for her date! Rainbow began to get up with an obvious look of panic on her face, but was quickly pushed back into her seat by Rarity’s magic as a brush floated over to her.

“Relax, Darling,” Rarity laughed as she started to brush Rainbow’s hair for her. “This won’t even take ten minutes,” she said as she walked over to Rainbow’s side and sat down next to her so she could fully see what she was doing. “Now then, while I take care of this shall we talk about Big Mac?” she asked, teasing her friend, who just blushed more.

“Um, I’d rather not,” she said looking to Rarity, who she knew would not let the topic go so easily, but that was when she remembered something. “How about you tell me that story with Fancy Pants?” she asked, trying to distract the conversation from her for once. As much as Rainbow would love talk about herself for hours, when it came to a subject about her she was uncomfortable with, she would rather talk about anything else, even a lecture by Twilight.

Rarity stopped brushing Rainbow’s mane for a moment. Rainbow turned to Rarity, afraid that she might have said something wrong, but instead she was greeted by a blushing Rarity, who had a dreamy look on her face. Rainbow watched her for a few moments, a bit worried of what this story might involve. After a few more awkward seconds on Rainbow’s part, she finally cleared her throat. Rarity seemed to snap out of whatever dream state she was in and came back to reality. With a light giggle., she went back to brushing the knotted mess known as Rainbow’s mane.

“I’m sorry, Darling, it’s just this story is somewhat of my own little romance novel,” she said with a giggle. “With a knight in shining armor and everything,” At this she sighed dreamily like she always did when the subject of romance came up. “Oh, I just don’t know where to begin!” Rainbow just sat there as she felt the brush move down her mane, she flinched slightly when she felt a knot in her mane get yanked on.

“How about from the beginning?” she suggested, rolling her eyes slightly. Whenever it came to either Rarity or Twilight and telling a story they always made it out to be so big, that somehow starting from the beginning was too much trouble.

“Very well, Darling,” Rarity said with an exasperated sigh, obviously not liking how Rainbow took some of the magic away from her story. “Remember the incident with the airship and the tornado?” Rarity asked as she continued to brush Rainbow’s mane.

“Of course I do!” Rainbow shouted back at her, “You guys were almost died! Kind of hard to forget a time where your friends almost die. Can you please not brush so hard?” Rainbow asked wincing again as Rarity hit a knot it Rainbow’s mane.

“We wouldn't have this problem if you just took care of your mane a bit better,” Rarity said, which was greeted by a snort from Rainbow. “Anyway, it all started right there,” Rarity said with a dream like voice. “That was when I first met my knight in shining armor, Thunderlane.” Rarity just gave a sigh as she thought about the dark grey stallion. Rainbow looked over her shoulder, giving Rarity a confused look.

“Wait, you only like him because he saved you?” she asked, a bit confused about why she would fall for somepony like that. That was something little fillies are led to believe in their fairy tales, about a knight rescuing a princess that was in distress, but then she had to remember when it came to love and romance, Rarity was a filly at heart.

“Well, at first, yes,” Rarity said, “I mean who wouldn't fall such a handsome stallion who saved you from certain death?” she asked. Once again Rainbow shrugged. “I fear for Big Mac right now if this is the level of depth you can go to in romance,” Rarity said, earning her a glare from Rainbow.

“Hey, I can be romantic anytime I want!” she growled, though it was an obvious lie, and both mares knew it. Rarity just rolled her eyes as she kept brushing.

“Well, anyway, after that little instance, I guess you can say I developed a crush on him. At first it was because he saved me, and the fact he was a total stud,” she said with a giggle. “Also, putting us side by side, we would go so well together! Our natural beauties would complement each other so well. His dark grey coat would complement my white one. My blue eyes would only help make his gold ones stand out even better! If we were to date, we would always win most fashionable and cutest couple!” she proclaimed with the same excitement she got whenever designing a new dress. Rainbow, on the other hoof, could not believe what she was hearing.

Was this all Rarity really looked for in a stallion? Somepony to compliment her looks? To make her stand out even more? She knew, at times, Rarity could be a bit shallow when it came to the whole looks department, royalty as well, but this was a whole other level for her. Before Rainbow could give her a verbal lashing, reminding her of a certain princes that she fell for in a similar fashion, Rarity’s story took a different turn.

“But that was all superficial; I didn’t know the real Thunderlane at all,” she said with an almost depressed sigh. “Did you know he had a little brother named Rumble? I didn’t. I didn’t know till Sweetie Belle told me about him. Apparently he looks up to Thunderlane in a similar fashion as Scootaloo looks up to you. Could I really be that shallow to judge somepony by just appearances? So I asked Sweetie Belle the next time she was to play with Rumble and decided to come along to supervise,” She laughed at this little comment. “How silly it was of me, to use my own sister to spy on a stallion,” she laughed, getting up and walking towards a set of drawers and started to shuffle through them.

“So the next day I went to the park with Sweetie Belle and the other Cutie Mark Crusaders to meet with Rumble and Thunderlane. I thought that Thunderlane was just going to watch them like I was; that we could have some small talk while they all played. Instead, he got right in the action with them,” Rarity stopped at this as she pulled out a few mane clips, but it was obvious she was thinking about something else. “It was truly something to watch a stallion like him to play with them, playing silly games and doing the oddest things just to make them laugh. I don’t think I had ever made Sweetie Belle, or any of the other Crusaders, laugh that hard.”

Rarity moved back towards Dash, her magic holding up a bright red ribbon as well as a green mane clip. “I watched them play for hours, the entire time I could not help but watch Thunderlane. He was so gentle and kind with them; it’s hard to find a stallion like that,” she said with a gleeful smile. As she said this, Rainbow was reflecting on red stallion who had always gone out of his way to play with the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

“During that entire time, I did notice something,” Rarity said with a smile, a smile that might have frightened poor Fluttershy if she saw it. “Whenever he thought I wasn’t looking, he would stare at me for a bit,” she said, sounding a bit proud in herself. She was pulling Rainbow’s mane back and placing the ribbon around it. “Then, when we made eye contact he would get the cutest little blush on his face and try to look away as fast as possible,” she sighed at this part.

“So wait, how does Fancy Pants fit into all this?” Rainbow asked, earning an extra hard tug on her mane.

“I’m getting there, Rainbow; you can’t rush a good story,” Rarity said as she started to tie the ribbon as Rainbow mumbled under her breath. “Now this was all maybe a week ago, and since then Sweetie Belle has been feeding me all sorts of information. Apparently, after they were done playing and we were all heading home, Thunderlane was asking Rumble questions about me,” she added, another fit of giggles making Rainbow just roll her eyes. The way she was telling this story was making her start to regret not talking about Mac.

“But the most important question that Thunderlane asked him was if he knew I had a special somepony.” At this, Rainbow, herself, almost laughed. The idea of asking a younger sibling if they knew if they knew a pony they liked had a special somepony was just too embarrassing. “Obviously, Rumble didn’t know, so he asked Sweetie Belle, who asked me, and I told her I didn’t. After that, I was just expecting to have Thunderlane come through those doors and ask me to be his special somepony, to have him sweep me off my hooves in the most magnificent of manners,”

“But he didn’t, did he?” Rainbow asked, trying hard not to laugh. The expectations that Rarity had for stallions to ask her out was just ridiculous.

“Quite right, Darling,” Rarity said with another sigh as she turned Rainbow around to face her. She then started to put different mane clips against her mane, seeing which one world work better. “Apparently when he heard this, it made him a nervous wreck. He was too afraid to act. Now, if a stallion is to date me, they need to have initiative, to be ready to act, and not afraid to speak his mind,” Rarity proclaimed as she gave a loud huff as she went back to the drawers to find other clips.

“But who can blame him? Any stallion would lose their nerve when trying to ask somepony like me,” At this Rarity struck an exaggerated pose, to this Rainbow burst out laughing at her friend. Rarity just gave a low growl as she went back to the drawers, shuffling through them. “So I decided to give him a little push, by making him slightly jealous. Remember when I asked Twilight to look after Sweetie Belle a few days ago? Well, I had to go to Canterlot for some very high end fabrics. While there I ran into Fancy Pants, who was having a small emergency. He was on his way to meet with some of the other nobles when his jacket ripped. Without it, his whole suit look horrid and if he wore it, he would look like a bum. So, before he could react, I mended it for him.” Rarity held her head a bit higher at this statement.

“After I was done with it, the jacket looked brand new, like nothing had ever happened, and I did it all under a few minutes. He was so thrilled that he invited me over for dinner that night after he got home from the meeting. Seeing that he was such a high class pony, I could not say no, so I accepted. Oh, Darling, you should have seen his home! It’s a mansion! He had servants, butlers, maids, cooks, everything!” Rarity gushed as she made her way back to Rainbow with a few more clips. “All of them were so smartly dressed, proper, and by far some of the most elegant looking workers I had ever seen! One of them even had on a limited edition of-”

“Rarity!” Rainbow shouted. “Stay on topic.” she said with a bit of impatience. It wasn’t the fact that she was getting off track with the description of Fancy Pants’ servants, just the mention of a mansion filled with other ponies made her think of her own empty home.

“Oh, sorry, Darling,” Rarity said with a wave of her hoof. “But it was all just so beautiful. Anyway, once I got there, Fleur Dis Lis invited me to join her for tea. Well, we discussed almost every topic of high class society till we got to the topic of Hearts and Hooves Day. She told me how Fancy Pants had a romantic evening set up for them, that he had so many surprises in store for her. She then asked me what my special somepony was doing for me. I of course had to tell her of my troubles. Fleur listened to me for a while as I told her of everything I told you. Once I was done, we started to discuss ways to give Thunderlane a bit of a push. That was when we both came up with the same idea. Tell me Rainbow, do you know the ways of getting a stallion to ask you out?” she asked as she held two different clips to Rainbow’s mane before tossing them to the side.

“If I knew that, I don’t think it would have taken Big Mac such a long time to ask me out,” Rainbow said with an incredulous tone. She wished she had known a few weeks prior so this date wouldn't be as stressful. Rarity just grinned as she examined another clip.

“Well, the first way is the same way to get to some stallion’s hearts: through his stomach,” she laughed a bit at that statement. “This tactic, I think, is how Applejack got Soarin to ask her out. The next is by playing hard to get; by far one of the cruelest techniques a mare can use, but the results justify the means. Then there’s the art of seduction; makes stallions putty in our hooves,” Rarity giggled loudly at this, while Rainbow just turned a shade of red that matched Mac’s coat.

“It might not be the most elegant, but it is fun to watch them squirm,” she laughed. “Finally, the one I am using. Make the stallion so jealous that they have no other option but to confront you directly about their feelings,” once again, Rarity broke into a fit of uncontrollable giggles. Rainbow just stared at her; no wonder stallions were a nervous mess when they asked a mare out; with all these mind games going on, it was hard not to feel intimidated.

“So Fleur let me borrow Fancy Pants for the morning, just to give Thunderlane a little scare that he might be too late. Now that Fancy Pants is gone, I sent Sweetie Belle to go tell Rumble about how nice it was for Fancy Pants to come down to keep me company today. Once she has completed this, I am sure Rumble will tell his brother and he will rush here as fast as possible,” Rarity said with triumphant smile as she spun Rainbow Dash in her seat to face a mirror. “Now tell me darling, don’t you simply look stunning!”

Rainbow Dash didn’t know what to say. She was never one to spend time to making herself look pretty or anything; how could she when she was always racing around trying to prove to the world how amazing and awesome she was? The most she ever did was brush her teeth and use shampoo on her mane. The Rainbow Dash looking back at her was something else entirely. Her mane was pulled back in a ponytail showing off more of her face. For once her mane was brushed, not giving the appearance of being extremely messy. The red ribbon in her mane really complimented her rainbow mane. But what was best of all was the mane clip that was holding back some of her mane off her face was a bright green circle that almost looked like an apple.

“Wow…” Rainbow said, almost too shocked for words. “I-I don’t know what to say,” Rainbow said, turning to Rarity, who was absolutely beaming. Her mother-like heart was just swelling with pride as she stared at Rainbow.

“Then don’t say anything,” she said with a laugh as she wiped a tear from her eye and marveled at her work. “Now we still have some time, so how about I put on another pot of tea and we can chat about Big-”

Right then the door of the Carousel Boutique was thrown open as Sweetie Belle ran inside. Rarity and Rainbow turned to her seeing her panting heavily as she came to a halt in front of the two mares.

“Sweetie Belle!” Rarity shouted. “That is no way to enter a building of any sort! Not even your own home! Now you go back outside and enter like a proper-”

“He’s on his way!” Sweetie Bell blurted out before her sister could finish. Rarity looked at her in confusion for a moment before panic set it. She jumped from her seat and started to look at herself in the mirror fixing her mane and making sure every hair in her coat was in place.

“Are you sure?” Rarity said in a panic as she examined her face, making sure her makeup was on evenly.

“Yea! When I told Rumble what you told me to tell him he was right around the corner! Rumble had to distract him for me so I could beat him here!” she said, bouncing up and down now in joy. “So you're going to let me stay up past ten tonight right? You promised me I could if I did this!”

“Yes, yes you can! Now go upstairs for right now! I will even get you a new dictionary if you don’t spy on us!” Rarity said. At this, Sweetie Belle gave a squeal of delight as she ran upstairs to her room. “I’m sorry Rainbow, Darling, but I am going to have to ask you to leave,” she said turning to Rainbow, who was already halfway to the front door.

“Don’t sweat it, Rare, don’t torture him too much.” she said with a laugh as she exited the building, leaving Rarity to make some last second adjustments. As Rainbow left the building, she saw a dark mass flying towards the shop, in a similar fashion to Big Mac had galloped to meet her.

She laughed to herself as she saw Thunderlane touch down a few feet away, a bouquet of roses in his mouth as he stopped in front of a window and looked at his own mane for a second. After looking over his appearance for a few moments, he gave a nod, apparently satisfied with his appearance. Before starting this way towards the boutique, he froze however, when he saw Rainbow Dash.

“Oh h-hey Rain-Rainbow Dash,” he said, trying to sound as calm as possible as a light blush came over his face. Rainbow just smirked as he watched him squirm. She couldn't tell if he was nervous about asking Rarity out, having somepony witness that he was acting like this, or maybe even shocked at her appearance? She had heard once that the stallion in front of her had a crush on her.

“Rarity is inside,” she said with a knowing grin as she walked passed him. “And I suggest keeping your eyes off other mares if you want to ask Rarity out.” she added, making Thunderlane straighten up to attention, a nervous habit he had picked up at the Wonderbolt Academy. Rainbow smiled at him, she could have a bit of fun with this, but she knew how much Rarity was looking forward to this. So she just walked away, allowing Thunderlane to regain his composure and knocked on the door of the boutique.

Rainbow just kept walking down the street; she didn’t need to fly home just yet. Now that she was not the only mare without a date, she could actually appreciate her surroundings. Looking around she saw the streets were covered with little paper hearts, couples were walking next to one another still, and everywhere she looked there was some kind of testimony to the day. After looking around a few times however, she noticed that it didn’t matter if she had a date; this holiday was still way too mushy for her.

Seeing as she had nothing else to do till her date with Big Mac, she spread her wings and prepared to take off. As much as she didn't want to admit it, she really wanted to go back home and admire herself a bit. It wasn’t uncool to admire oneself in the mirror, was it? No, she was just inspecting herself to make sure she looked as amazing as possible for her date. It would be so uncool if she didn’t try to keep her appearance up. Before she could take off, a voice started to call out to her.

“Rainbow Dash, is that you?” Turning around, she was greeted to the sight of Applejack and Soarin walking down the street together. Applejack’s smile grew as she took a few quick steps towards the cyan Pegasus. “Why Celestia bless, look at you,” she said as she walked around Rainbow, admiring Rartiy’s handywork. As she did, Rainbow Dash felt a light blush rise to her cheeks that she fought back with every ounce of will she had. If Applejack saw her blushing, she would never hear the end of it. “Don’t tell me you got all pretty up just fer ma brother,” she laughed. “You're going to give that poor colt a heart attack when gets a look at you.”

Rainbow Dash held her head a bit higher as she watched Applejack. Sure, this wasn’t something she normally did, but hearing Applejack talk about her like she just won some competition, and the mention of Big Mac, just made her feel proud. Applejack just nodded at Rainbow before walking over to Soarin, who had a questioning look on his face.

“What’s wrong, Sugarcube?” Applejack asked as she saw the expression on Soarin’s face.

“Well you called this mare Rainbow Dash, the Rainbow Dash I know doesn’t wear ribbons or mane clips,” he said, looking to Applejack. “So I have to assume this is a Changeling that has no idea who Rainbow Dash is,” he said grinning, only to get slugged in the shoulder by Applejack. “Kidding! Kidding!” he laughed before looking back at Dash grinning. “You do look great, Rookie,” he said, just making the smile on her face grow.

Applejack watched the two Pegasi for a second as they started to talk about the Wonderbolts. That was when an idea popped into her head, an idea of getting back at Big Mac for what he did to Soarin. Rainbow Dash might be angry with her later on, but in all honesty, which was her element, her brother started this little war.

“Now, Rainbow, are you meeting ma brother at the dance or back at the house?” Applejack asked, derailing the conversation between Rainbow Dash and Soarin. Rainbow looked back at her a bit, confused for asking so suddenly and shrugged.

“We were going to meet there, why?” she asked, wanting to know why Applejack was suddenly interested in that bit of information.

“Well, Ah was just thinkin how cool it would be to see you and Mac walk to the dance together,” she said, stressing the word cool as much as she could. “All them mares getting jealous about seeing Mac being taken, and how everypony would be just commenting about how awesome you two looked together,” she added. As she spoke, she could see a shimmer in Rainbow’s eyes, telling her that Rainbow was giving serious thought to the idea. “But, if you just want to meet at the dance, that would probably be okay too.” she said as she turned towards Soarin. “Now come on you, we were goin to get some dinner, weren't we?” she asked.

Soarin just gave his marefriend an odd look before looking aback at Rainbow Dash, who looked to be off in her own little world.

“Um, yea I got our reservations and everything,” he said, still unsure what was going on. Before he could ask any other questions, Applejack started to push him in the direction of the restaurant.

“Well, we will see you at the dance Rainbow,” she said looking back at Rainbow Dash, who was still standing there absentmindedly. Applejack just smirked as she and Soarin walked away. Looking back over his shoulder, he saw Rainbow Dash shake her head lightly before taking to the air and flying in the direction of Sweet Apple Acres.

“Hey Applejack, what was that all about?” he asked looking down at Applejack who was just giggling softly.

“Now don’t you worry about that Sugarcube,” Applejack said as she leaned against Soarin’s body and nuzzled him under the chin. “Just payin Big Mac back for what he did to yea.” she laughed as she pulled back a bit to see the dreamy expression in Soarin’s face, he really was putty in her hooves at times. “Just worry about our little date,” she added as she turned to watch Rainbow Dash fly away. She had no idea what was in store for her once Granny got her hooves on her.

Author's Note:

Part 3 uploaded at 3:52am! Now I have only four hours of sleep and now I must be on my way to work! So yea...I love you all so much I sacrificed sleep for you. So if you see errors just message me, don't put it in the comments. Hope you all enjoy this chapter, more on the way soon!

Also there will never be consistory between my chapter lengths. So yea...just wanted to let you all know that. Now to go to work as a busser.