• Published 11th Dec 2013
  • 995 Views, 2 Comments

A dark secret - RainbowJack



Celestia has bad dreams about her past, and they come from a book she found just after she banished Nightmare moon

  • ...
2
 2
 995

Chapter 5 : Darkness in the mist

Chapter 5 : Darkness in the mist

The Purple Smoke flooded the room and moments later Twilight was back in her tree house.

"Twilights Back!" Came the voice of Rainbow Dash shortly followed by Fluttershy.

"Oh we were so worried!"

Twilight took notice that not only were Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy in her tree house, but so was the rest of the gang.

Spike ran up to Twilight and gave her a big hug. "You're back! Did you find anything new?"

"Rainbow? Fluttershy? bu.." Began Twilight but was cut off by Rarity.

"But why are we here? Well you see, little Spikey Wikey here got so worried while you were gone.."

Applejack cuts off Rarity. "So he went n' got all of us. He thought just havin' all of us here together would bring you back."

Rarity glares at Applejack. "I was just going to say that, Applejack."

Applejack responds. "Ya well, ah guess ah beat you to it."

Rarity gets ready to talk back but can't because before she can say a word, Spike fills the gap. "When you were in the book I heard you say Luna's name but you didn't come back. I remembered you telling me that you would only be in there for one entry, so I panicked and went and got all of them."

"Yah... It didn't really work." Says Rainbow Dash.

Twilight looks around at her friends but notices something missing. "Spike you didn't get all of them. Remember? Pinkie Pie is one of the girls too."

Spike replies. "Oh! No, she's here. Somewhere.." Spike calls out to Pinkie.

"Pinkie Pie! Twilights back!"

Instantly, the rustling of dishes could be heard coming from the kitchen as if a cat was trying to get out of its super secret hiding spot. Everyone looked towards the kitchen and soon the rustling stopped. Everyone stared at the kitchen door in silence for a mere 30 seconds until a voice could be heard from beside Twilight whispering loudly. This caused everyone to look towards Twilight.

"What are we all looking at.."

Twilight jumped and looked beside her to see Pinkie Pie staring intensely at the kitchen door.

"Pinkie, Twilights back. See?" Says Spike.

Pinkie departs her eyes from the door and focuses them on Spike. "Well duuuuh. How else could she be here if she's not here? I mean it's not like she actually went anywhere, but if she had she had better had brought me. Had hadhad had!" Pinkie Giggles.

"So Twilight." Begins Rarity. "It seems you have yourself in quite a predicament, is there anything we can do to help?"

Twilight begins to think as her friends talk.

"Ya, anything? Maybe we can come with you." Says Rainbow Dash.

Twilight denies that idea. "No, you can't come with me. There really isn't that much to do in there rather than just watch anyway."

"But what you can do." Twilight begins explaining her idea but before she really starts, Pinkie gasps. "You can try to gather information for me while I am in there."

"Good idea Twilight, just tell us what to do and we will do it." Says Applejack.

"Okay." Twilight looks at her friends and begins giving orders. "So I feel like I need to find out some more information on Luna, Celestia, and their parents. The only place I think I can get that information would be the old castle of the two sisters, so it would seem more sensible to check there first. The castle is big so I will have to split you up into groups to check different departments of the castle, I guess those departments can be the library, and the other rooms like the bedrooms and anywhere else you might find."

"Rarity? Go with Fluttershy to check the castle Library." Rarity nods.

"Applejack and Rainbow Dash? You two will be searching all of the other rooms in the castle."

"You can count on us!" Says Rainbow Dash.

Twilight continues to give orders. "And Pinkie? You can, uh.. Just, do whatever you want."

"Okie dokie lokie!" Says Pinkie Pie.

Twilight watches all of her friends depart from her house and picks up the book ready for another entry.

"Twilight?" Asks Spike who looks unsure.

"Yes? What's wrong?" Replies Twilight.

"Last time you read the book, you went from one Diary entry to another.. What if next time you dont come back? It doesn't seem like you have any control when you are in there."

Twilight takes a moment to think and then shows him the width of the book. "If I end up going through multiple entries don't worry, this book is only so long, see? Eventually the book will end and I will come back because there are only so many pages, it would only take a few hours."

"Okay.." Says Spike, still unsure about the Diary.

"I'll see you soon Spike, just watch over the house as I'm away." Says Twilight before she opens up the Diary to the correct page.

"Dear Diary."

The purple smoke immediately began to fill Twilight's eyes but like always when the smoke cleared, her fission came back. Twilight looked around to see where she was and found she was back in the castle, again.

Her eyelids lowered. “Really? Here again? It's not much of surprise If I end up here every time." However, her facial expression soon changed as she heard a voice coming from a room nearby.

“Tai, please show me how to use it!”

Twilight peaked her head into the room where Luna was standing next to her sister. Celestia had a book in front of her and was trying her hardest to read it but couldn't because Luna would not leave her alone. Celestia's mane was not only pink now, but the other colors that Twilight knew were there as well softly flowing in the air as if a gentle wind was blowing in the room and Luna looked a little older, her mane not yet in the colors Twilight knew. Luna was still younger than Twilight, but seemed to be about a year older than the Cutie Mark Crusaders in this diary entry.

“Luna, I can show you later, now please leave!” Celestia said in a striking voice not taking her eyes off of the book.

“Tia, you have been doing this so much to me lately! Not wanting to spend time with me, pushing me aside, ignoring me! Do you even know how that feels? To be shoved aside!?"

Celestia departed her eyes from the book as the situation took an unexpected turn and focused on Luna.

“Please don’t say that Luna, It’s just that I need to get ready to become a Princess and Mom is teaching me so much stuff about ruling. She’s been teaching me a lot lately and that is the only reason why it seems like I have been pushing you aside little sister.”

Tears start to well up in Luna's eyes as she felt like it has been a long time since she even made eye contact with her older sister.

"So that's how it is? Mom is preparing you to become this great big Princess while I sit back and rot away? Why don't I get to become a Princess too, huh!? All I can do is sit back and do nothing!"

Celestia puts down her book and approaches her saddened sister. "Luna you know as well as I do that this castle doesn't need another Princess. Mom is only preparing me to rule the other castle and every castle only needs one Princess, I have never heard of a castle with two. I am the oldest child therefore I am next to the throne, I'm sorry but that's how it is little sister."

Luna's tears are now flowing down her cheeks as if trying to form a river. "Next to the throne? Next to the throne!? You always get special attention from Mom and dad just because you are next to the throne! It's not fair! Even dad has started giving me the cold shoulder! He is paying more attention to you and less to me! Also he claims he needs to "Ready his troops"! I don't even know what he needs to ready them for but what I do know is that you are getting all of the attention, and leaving none for me! And that is why, I.. I.."

Luna closes her eyes tightly for a second then shoots them open glaring at her big sister.

“I HATE YOU!” Luna suddenly yelled out at Celestia then started running out of the room passing Twilight. To both Celestia and Luna, these words felt like an arrow penetrating their souls.

As Luna passed by, Twilight felt a cold shiver running down into her very core.

“What was that..” Twilight thought to herself briefly before galloping after Luna who was already back in her room leaving the door wide open.

Twilight slowly proceeded into the room. To Twilight's surprise, just like herself, Luna was a massive book worm. In Luna's room there were many books all over the place, some of the books were blurred but very few she could actually read. Twilight read the names of the books she could see the names of “The History of Equestria vol.1“ and “Magic 101”.

Twilight gasped and quickly ran up to the first book. "The History of Equestria vol.1!? This is the first of only 5 volumes to this collection! I only have 4 and 5 because volumes 1 - 3 have been missing for at least 1000 years! I can't believe I'm seeing volume 1! A beautiful tan color and it even has the faint yellow glow along the spine just like the legends say!? They say only volumes 1 and 2 have that glow! Oh this is so exciting!" Twilight snapped herself back to the situation she was in. Luna was on her bed sobbing into her pillow.

“Why did I say that.. I'm so stupid!"

Suddenly her ears went up. She felt like someone was there but assuming it was Celestia she didn't turn around to look, she just talked as if her sister was there.

"Tia.. I'm so sorry.. I was so stupid! I didn't mean what I said, I don't hate you.. How could I ever hate you. If anything, I'm sure you.. Hate me.."

Luna started to cry harder into her pillow.

"Please don't hate me sister! With all that is going on I'm not thinking strait! If it wasn't for Night Sky I wouldn't know what to do, all the anger I wouldn't be able to let out, the pain.. You know what he is to me sister.."

Luna paused for a moment as her tears were slowing down, but not yet gone.

"I don't know if I've told you this yet, but remember all of those friends I said I had back in Magic Kinder Garden? A lot has changed since I've met Night Sky.. In Magic Kinder Garden I didn't actually have any friends. I feel so stupid for lying to you all these years! I was always trying to make friends and trying to make ponies laugh, and I did make them laugh.. At me.. But when Night Sky came, I finally had a friend. He became my backbone when I didn't have one, when ponies would laugh at me, he would laugh with me.."

Luna's tears came to a complete stop and she even started to smile a bit.

"I haven't been able to see him for a while because he is off helping his uncle with stuff, so I guess that is why I snapped at you earlier, but I'm going to be seeing him today. I don't know if you can forgive me or if you ever will, but.. Big sister? I'm sorry."

Luna waited for a response but didn't get one so she turned around and looked toward Twilight who now had tears streaming down her face. Luna then looked all around her room from her bed and saw no pony, even though nobody was there she felt better. There was silence in the room now, the only sound was of the pillow dripping tears onto the floor but that sound was soon overpowered by another.

“LUNA!” A voice echoed through the halls.

The King entered the room and looked very upset

“What did you say to your sister?” Asked Luna's father.

“I’m Sorry father, I wasn't thinking straight..” Luna replied.

Although Luna felt better than she did earlier, she still did feel sorry and not all of her negative emotions were gone.

“It’s okay Luna," Began the King. "I know that it must be hard for you not to get to spend much time with your sister any more and deep down I know you love her to much to hate her right?” He gave his daughter a smile.

“Yes father, could you tell my sister that I’m sorry?”

“I will sweetie, just make sure it doesn't happen again.”

The King smiled and gave Luna a hug before noticing the state in which her room stood in.

“Now it might be a good idea to clean up your room young lady, I know school is hard work but that doesn't mean you have to let your room be in such a mess.”

“Really?” Luna looked around at her room. "It's not like you live in here.. If it's a mess, I'm the only one who should care."

The stallion sighed and when he regained his breath, he spoke once more.

"Just clean it please."

It was clear to Luna that her father was disappointed in her and this extinguished what ever good feelings she had left. Luna still felt it was necessary to give a reply dis spite how she felt.

"Fine. I'll clean it later.."

The King smirked. "Sweetie?"

Luna made eye contact with her Dad. "Yes father?"

"I love you. Though it may not feel like it some times, just know that I do love you and always will my beloved daughter."

Luna smiled because that is just what she needed to hear.

"I love you too."

The King smiled back and exited her room. A few moments after her father's departure a voice is heard coming from outside Luna's bedroom, this voice caught her attention and pulled her to the window.

"Luna!"

Twilight attempted to see who it was but the purple smoke forbid that action. As Luna's name was called the purple smoke now with some black specks started flooding the room like a tsunami washing Twilight away into yet another diary entry. When the smoke disappeared Twilight was in a garden, and Luna was walking beside Night Sky.

"What were those black specks mixed with the purple smoke? That was different than before." Twilight added as a side note before changing her attention to Luna.

"So you're done helping your uncle?" Luna asked Night Sky.

"Ya, I actually did quite a bit of work while I was there so he let me come home early" He replied.

Luna and Night Sky both stopped beside a pond.

"What did you even have to do? You were gone for a few days" Luna looked at Night Sky with curiosity but the dark colt continued to look strait at the pond.

"I had to take care of some pests. Some unwanted bugs were trespassing on his land trying to make it their own so my uncle came and got me to take care of them. For years now they have been trying to take his land and for years I have been getting rid of them." Night Sky laughs. "But of course they are only bugs."

Luna laughs along with Night Sky. "Ya, bugs are annoying little things."

The conversation quickly turned to Luna.

"So Woona.."

Luna blushed and pushed Night Sky. "I told you, don't call me that! That's not my name. My name is Luna and only Luna, nothing else."

Night Sky smiled and repeated himself with a minor change in his wording. "So Luna, what have you been up to these past few days? Are you still having problems with your sister and parents?"

Luna's ears dropped slightly. "Well.. Ya, kinda.. It still bothers me that Tia is going to become this ruler of a castle while I'm still nothing special. I want to be important too, I want to be noticed, I don't want people to shove me aside."

"Luna? I'm sure you will be something very special some day, we're still young. Watch, in the future you are probably going to rule not only a castle, but the whole world too!"

Luna smiled at that idea. "Ya, that would be pretty awesome."

A few moments of silence passed as the two stood there gazing upon the pond in front of them before Luna spoke up.

"We aren't going to get that project done are we.."

Night Sky gasped when he clicked in to what she said. "The project! Right! Isn't that due Monday?"

Luna corrected him. "Wednesday, actually."

A sigh of relief came from the dark colt as Wednesday was more than five days away. "Oh good! We have time. Actually, what do you say we go over to my Dad's place right now to work on it? I was thinking we could do the project on the magic of joy. A project on the magic of joy, for Ms.Joy, seems perfect doesn't it?"

Luna giggles. "Ya, lets do it!"

Night Sky starts running off. "Last one there is a rotten carrot!"

Luna stood there not moving and noticing this, Night Sky stops. "Aww come on, It's no fun if you just stand there."

Luna begins walking toward him confusing Night Sky. "What are you doing?" He asks hoping for an answer but receives none. As soon as Luna comes within a foot of Night Sky she says something really fast and breaks into a full on sprint passing right by him.

"I'm not going to be a rotten carrot!"

Night Sky started galloping after her.

"Wait up! Luna!"

As soon as Luna's name was mentioned, he disappeared into a cloud of purple and black smoke. The smoke absorbed the scenery and filled Twilight's vision bringing her back into the real world. Just as Twilight could see her tree house once again, her door shot open with her friends pouring in.

Rainbow Dash spoke up. "Twilight! You'll never guess what we found!"

Author's Note:

Hello Readers,

This is the new chapter, I hope you will enjoy it as much as I and my co-wrighter did in making this.