• Published 11th Dec 2013
  • 994 Views, 2 Comments

A dark secret - RainbowJack



Celestia has bad dreams about her past, and they come from a book she found just after she banished Nightmare moon

  • ...
2
 2
 994

Chapter 1: The letter

Chapter 1 : The Letter

Sunlight harkened the arrival of the dawn, pushing the darkness of night over the western horizon. It’s light fell upon the eye of a sleeping Twilight Sparkle, rousing her from her slumber. As she rubbed her eyes to clear the sandpony’s powder, she was entranced by the sweet, familiar smell of hay cakes.

“Hmm, is that what I think it is?” she wondered as she became fully awake.

Twilight made her way to the library’s lower level, where her nose guided her into the kitchen. There, she found an unusual sight; Spike was awake, and making haycakes no less!

“Oh, good morning Twilight” He greeted Twilight with a smile, still focused on his cooking, as any diligent assistant would. Suddenly, he burst into laughter, as he allowed his gaze to drift over to Twilight.

“What did you do? Trot into a field of poison joke?”

As Twilight looked at the giggling dragon she turned her head to a mirror and saw that her mane shot off in every direction. She wondered if it was another one of Rainbow and Pinkie’s pranks.

“Oh boy, If Rarity saw me like this, she would give me a complete makeover, don’t you think so Spike?” She tamed the strands with a brush, so as not to give the element of fashion a heart attack.

The dragon giggled and just nodded. He had seen Rarity do that to Twilight on more than one occasion, over much less minor crimes against fashion. As Spike returned to the kitchen, he felt something in his stomach building up, growing before finally burping up a scroll. He noticed that the seal on the scroll was not red, but green. It was a personal scroll addressed to Princess Twilight
.
“Twilight!” Spike called out from the kitchen

“Yes, Spike? What is it?” Twilight said peaking in to the kitchen after she had combed her mane.

Spike showed Twilight the scroll, which she then levitated in front of herself. She looked at the green seal before opening it. She didn’t normally get such letters from the princess. This must’ve been very important.


Dear Princess Twilight,

I have something to tell you, something that has to do with Luna’s past and something I have kept secret for over 1000 years. The story as you know it was accurate, for the most part. As you know the tale is that “the stars will aid in her escape”. Those stars were actually somepony special to Luna, a colt named Night Sky. That is all I can tell you now. Come to Canterlot as quickly as you can.

Yours,
Princess Celestia

As Twilight read the scroll, a tear rolled down her cheek. Spike noticed, and held a tissue for Twilight. The purple alacorn took thanked him, before clearing the tiny droplets from her cheek.

“What’s wrong Twilight?” Spike asked worriedly

She caught herself, quickly getting a hold of her emotions before they could get the better of her.

“Oh, it’s nothing.” She replied with a sniffle.“Just that the princess wants to talk to me about something regarding Princess Luna.”
“She wants to talk to you about Luna? But what, exactly?”

“Well, in her letter she tells about the story of Nightmare moon, where ‘the stars will aid in her escape’.”

Spike nodded, remembering the many times Twilight read him the story before tucking him into bed. However, he soon became distracted, as he glanced over at the now finished haycakes.

“Well, guess that’s the end of breakfast, huh?”

“Of course not, Spike. How could I ever skip a breakfast prepared by my number one assistant?” Her reply did much to lift the baby dragon’s heart, and the two wasted no time in preparing to dine.

“Hmm, delicious! You’ve really outdone yourself with these, Spike.” Twilight said after she eaten the first one
As they finish the haycakes, the duo prepared to depart for Canterlot.

“Well I think its about time to go.”

“Yes. I’m sure happy I got those flying lessons from Rainbow Dash.”

“You and me both, sister.”

As they walk out the door, Twilight spread her wings, casting the silhouette of a princess in flight. Spike hopped on her back. Her flying had much improved since her coronation. Rainbow Dash had put all of her energy into making Twilight fly like she was born with wings. Upon take off, Twilight felt as if her efforts had not been for nought. As she soared up into the sky, she remembered the story, and the new details Celestia had just shared with her. She wondered what Princess Celestia wanted to speak about. All she had to go on was the ancient legends that where told during the time of Nightmare moon and her subsequent banishment.

“I wonder what Celestia is going to tell me.”

“Me too. She wouldn’t have called you all the way to Canterlot if it wasn’t super important.”

Twilight nodded, but still wondered what it was that had Celestia so worked up. She had banished her sister over a thousand years ago, and Nightmare Moon had been turned back into Luna by the elements of Harmony. What significance was this Night Sky?

“By the way Twilight,” Spike said softly

“Yes, Spike?”

“What made you cry? I mean I never seen you cry when a letter came before. What exactly did it say?”

Twilight looked at the expansive blue sky that lay before her.

“Well Spike, in the letter Celestia said she found a book not long after she cast the spell. You do remember the line ‘after one thousand years, the stars will aid in her escape’?”

Spike nodded as he does know the story. “Yeah, you mentioned something about it back at the library.”

“Well, apparently the ‘stars’ were actually a pony, a colt named Night Sky. Celestia says he was very special to Luna.”

Spike held on tightly to Twilight as Canterlot came into view. They decided to land in the castle gardens, where Twilight could land with the least difficulty.

“Hang on, I think this is going to be a bumpy landing. I still haven’t mastered the landing, so fasten your seatbelt.”

Spike didn’t know where the seatbelt came from, but he sure was glad he found it.

Author's Note:

Dear readers,

don't mind the grammar and spelling erros please, someone will edit is soon but this is still a incompleet work ( of art)