• Published 24th Nov 2013
  • 1,404 Views, 83 Comments

Cold Confrontations - Dapper Guy



Twilight Sparkle travels to the Northern Wilds with two unlikely companions by her side.

  • ...
3
 83
 1,404

Family Ties

-Union Park-

“What?!? When the buck did you plan on letting me in on this?" Cold's accusations shook the air.

“Cold, ple-"

“Why is it that I'm the last to know, everytime? I’d love for once to be involved with what’s going on with everydeer. Especially when it's about me being shipped out to another country," stomping his hoof into the cold ground.

“Col-“

“Why was I so stupid to think that even my old buck of an uncle wouldn’t pull crap on me like this on me? How-"

Thwump

Vanhi's hoof lodged itself firmly into Cold's mouth, blocking any further outburst.

“Cold.”

“Yephf?” Cold replied, his voice muffled due to Vanhi's rather dirty hoof.

“Shut. Up."

“Ohf-Khay.”

“And listen.”

“Awh Wight.”

Vanhi removed his hoof from his nephew’s muzzle, wiping the spittle on the ground. Looking back up, Cold saw the tired look in his uncle’s graying eyes. “That wasn’t the reaction I was hoping for, but you’ve never been one to do anything that’s expected,” with a wry grin.

“So, back to the point uncle, why get me to do this?" His usual tone returning in full force. "Those golden antlers all on capitol hill should be all lined up for this kind of thing. Why you want me to be a, what was it?"

“Representative is the official title. It’s not as high maintenance as you would think it would be. Nothing more than simply escorting a few ponies from one side of the mountain to the other side.”

“Wait, I think we have a name for these kinds of deer, oh right…chauffeurs." His curt tone struck Vanhi's ears but he didn't flinch at his nephew's less than respectable attitude.

“No, if that was the case Cold, we’d let anydeer do it." Vanhi's eyes glanced up towards the upper district. "Unfortunately it’s not. When Celestia froze the deals, she didn’t immediately decide to send emissaries over to us. It’s what happened afterward that made her launch this plan.”

Pausing for a breath, he continued. “The ministers decided they wanted to send representatives of their own houses to Canterlot. We’d be having several little spoiled prats showing the Princess of an entire nation how we act. I’d rather refrain from such methods unless Tartarus itself would freeze over first.”

“Makes sense, they act polite and play nice, so what stopped them?” Cold's hoof during pointlessly at the ground, as if he way trying to break through solid stone to ease his frustration.

“I think we both know who put a stop to that,” raising his eyebrows in his all-knowing way.

“Right, so why would they coming to us instead?”

“Celestia holds the Crystal Empire’s authority as of right now," Vanhi's words seemed to carry around the word authority. "We’re not only going to have to impress her emissaries but also the Crystal Empire's as well. We’ve never, in the history of our nation, been tied to any lands beyond the Crystal Empire in recorded history.” A small glimmer was in the old reindeer's eyes as he continued to talk. All of it seemed to only blow over Cold's head as he looked with a lackadaisical look on his face.

“So, again, why me?” A little more venom in his words as his building irritation grew. “Celestia just wants to send her little ponies over to us and negotiate long term deals. Not like there's any solid reason to send me to escort whoever she sends over to us. Better yet, we should send those idiots who want to kiss up to her by how you’re explaining the situation.”

“Then you’re not listening well, dear nephew. It was Celestia’s idea to send her ponies to us instead of the other way around. I think that she wanted to see if we’re trustworthy enough to be dealing with," growled out Vanhi. "She’s never dealt directly with our country," cracking his his back to loosen the growing tension. If we were to control the market in the Crystal Empire, she’d be the one losing ground.”

“We wouldn’t do that; well I wouldn’t-”

“Exactly!" jabbing a hoof at his nephew's face. "You wouldn’t, you’re mind isn’t clouded by anydeer else. You think for yourself. That reason is solely why I wanted you to aspire to this job,” cutting off Cold in his wizened voice. “You think and act for yourself, not because of me and not even because your aunt. You do things the way you want to, no deer else.”

Cold looked at Vanhi in silence with half-lidded eyes. Was that really the reason for him to get him onboard with this half, well, full-crazed idea? There had to be better candidates than him, one’s who’d split the heavens to leap at this chance. So what was the real underlying reason he wasn’t being told everything?

Well, I’ll just have to drag it out of him. “Okay, let’s say I do agree to become to take this representative position. I just show up, escort whoever shows up back here, wave them off and trot back home?” Cold's gaze never left Vanhi. The elderly reindeer didn't even flinch at his words, not even the faintest hint of doubt flickered across his face. “Or is there more to this little arrangement?”

“You’ve whittled it down to the heartwood of the tree dear nephew,” slightly amazed at how astute his nephew could be. “You would be entitled to traveling expenses, food costs and even your luggage would be covered along with other little things.”

“So the whole gold package for me then," tapping his chin in thought. Cold imagined what he could write off as a business expense on the trip, knowing full well he'd never have to spend a single token or pay anydeer back. Still, it wasn't in his nature to just blow through the ministry's banks so blindly.

“Correct, besides I don’t think you would spend half the countries’ treasury between here and the Crystal Empire,” a small grunt of annoyance . "Unlike some other bucks I can think of."

“Alright, even though you have faith in me, what makes you think all the gold-hoofed plotheads are going to elect me?" Vanhi's smile dropped as his nephew's shoulders slumped down. "I don’t have the 'apropos' background to do this. I know for a fact the Minister of Commerce won’t be happy to see me.”

“Don’t worry about him. He’s under control." Vanhi gripped Cold's shoulder reassuringly, shocked to feel as to how literally cold he was."Not to mention he already has more on his hooves at the moment, especially after that fiasco with his son’s embezzlement scandal."

“Yeah, surprised that went public," rolling his eyes at Vanhi.

“Like I always say, karma works.”

“That or somedeer made karma get off its plot and did something for once," casting a knowing glance at his uncle.

“Well, yeah that could’ve happen too," replied Vanhi, scrathing at an imaginary itch behind his head. Anyways, before we stray too far off topic I’m guaranteeing you this chance, so please don’t pass it up.”

So that’s it then. You want me to give it another shot. After everything that happened you want me to stake another at this crap? You certainly pulled out all the stops for this whole ordeal to go through uncle. Cold stood silently by, closing off his mind to the world around him. “Anything else I should know?”

“No, I’ve told you everything that’s in the paperwork." Vanhi looked down at Cold, only realizing at how small and fragile his nephew looked. Doubt flickered arossed his muzzle as he watched an invisible battle wage inside his nephew's head. "It’s all up to you to put your hoof-stamp on the papers to say you’ll do this. I won’t think of you any less if you don’t want to.”

Okay, uncle I don’t think there’s anything else you’re not telling me but I not too sure I want this deal. They need somedeer who’s not some conniving little kiss up but they don’t want just any bum either," he could feel a small amount of satisfaction in that statement. "So I’m in the middle of the bar, perfect. Doesn’t sound like he’s going to scrutinize me if I say no either.

Vanhi stood in front of Cold, his heart pounding rapidy his chest as his nephew stood there in front of him. Casey whined as she waited, shaking the snow that piled on the top of her dark coat. Poor girl, she’s been listening to us talk this entire time, as he pulled back his right hoof. Casey sprang towards Vanhi, running underneath his foreleg and turning on her back. Vanhi began to stroke her fluffy belly, giving the dog some small comfort to know she hadn’t been forgotten during this entire time.

So, should or shouldn’t I? It’d give me something to do at least. “Uncle,” Cold shouted out suddenly. shattering the long silence between the two reindeer.

Pulling his attention away from Casey, the elder reindeer looked down at his nephew. Please, please, cried Vanhi inwardly. Let me help you nephew.

“I’ll…I’ll do it.”

“Good.” Yes, yes,YES! I’ll make sure that you won’t regret this decision," pulling up his nephew in another tight hug.

“Right, let’s do this before I change my mind. Where’s-“

“Right here, got everything you need right here,” the older reindeer pulled out a rusty brown envelope from the pockets of his cloak.

“So you just assumed I’d just sign this, right?” Cold planted a hoof to the side of his forehead.

“No, I expected an answer dear nephew. Now that I have your answer I need you to sign it.”

“I don’t like being toyed with, uncle.” Cold pulled up the letter, glancing over the wording of the entire page rather than just reading the entire thing to himself.

“Stop, you could’ve as easily walked from this a few minutes ago. Let’s not start that argument all over again,” as he pulled out a pen from another pocket.

“Well then, let’s see where this’ll take me,” taking the pen in his hoof and inscribing his spidery signature on the paper. “Well, there’s the John Hoofcock signature, but how fast can you have this sent?“

Vanhi smiled as he resealed the envelope. It began to rise up from his hooves before spinning wildly in the air in a chaotic dance. It shot off towards the upper district, lost in the wintery air and clouds of snow. Cold stood still, his eyes locked onto his uncle at what he just saw. “Did you just-“

“Yes.”

“But why would-“

“I’ll worry about the cost later," brushing off Cold's question without an air of worry. "Besides you need to prepare for your departure. You’ll need to present yourself tomorrow in front of the other ministers, so compose yourself.”

“Not getting rid of the beard uncle."

“Oh, is that what that little bit of scruff beneath your muzzle is? Odd," clasping the small tuft of beard beneath Cold's chin. "I thought that you combed all the hair underneath your chin for once," sticking his tongue out mockingly.

“Hey!”

“Oh grow up.”

“Funny coming from you, old buck,” with an equally mocking grin.

“Well, at least be nice to the ministers for my sake at least. Be polite, be confident and most importantly, be polite."

Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence old buck. “Okay so when, where and what time does this all go down?”

Vanhi leaned back onto his haunches, closing his eyes in focus. “It will be tomorrow in the upper district’s court, the Buckland’s High Court building. Be there at around 11 o’clock, and please try to be early.”

“Wonderful, a trip down the golden roads with all the high and mighty as-“

“Hush," admonished Vanhi. Cold's eyes grew large as his uncle's usual tone grew more fierce. "Don’t dwell on the past Cold," cutting off Cold before he could continue. "Oh, one more thing"

“Yes uncle?” Cold could tell that this last bit of information was going to be much more painful than the last.

“Miss Bittersweet still works as the receptionist,"

“Oh hell, that old bit-“ covering his eyes with a hoof.

“Don’t say it; she does the work of two deer in one day.”

“Only reason she enjoys her job is because she’s got nothing better to do." He could still recall the last attempt at trying to talk with that 'creature'. He wasn't even sure if she was a reindeer still, she drove anydeer unfortunate to talk with her insane. "How old is she now, 200?”

“Watch it nephew," jabbing at Cold with a polished hoof. "All you have to do is tell her you’ve got a meeting and walk right past her. No yelling, no arguing and please, no chairs flying through the second story windows this time.”

“Hey, that was never proven to be me!” countering uncle's argument. If that bucking idiot Silver Pines hadn’t gone and run his mouth, muttering to himself.

“Anyway, just be sure to show up tomorrow, okay?”

“Alright uncle, oh and one thing.”

“Hmm?”

“Thanks, for everything.”

“Cold," wrapping him up his forelegs one last time. "You are my family and I would do anything for you," he said with pure love in his voice.

Cold could only smile back at his overly emotional uncle. “Alright, I’ll be there. Come on Casey, let’s go.”

Casey yipped happily as Cold started walk back home. Vanhi waved them off as they walked back to their home. He stood there as Cold disappeared further down the slopes of the hill. Flakes of snow starting to gather around him as he waited until his nephew disappeared over the horizon.

The old reindeer began to retreat back to his own home, emotions swirling inside of his chest like a rampant typhoon Spirits, be with that boy, I want him to see there’s more to this world, dull aches in his tired body started to flare up. He needs to see there’s so much more to this world. I know he’ll accept who comes along. I just hope they’ll put up with his eccentric attitude. Vanhi continued on at a leisurely pace, his thoughts playing on his face as he walked. Things are going smoothly so far, but I don’t know what tomorrow will bring. I know who’ll support the boy’s appointment but I fear those who won’t. I hope he won’t be swayed, I know him better than most but I don’t everything.

Vanhi shivered as the wind picked, invisible fangs driving into his thick coat. Strange, the weather seemed to be getting stronger. From what the forecast team predicted the weather should’ve have been normal for the next few days. Now though it seemed to be growing in force. I hope that isn’t a sign of things to come. he silently prayed.

-Jingle Road-

“So Casey, did I just sign myself up for something that I have no idea about? Again?”

Arf.

“Think so? I can’t ever ask him directly, it’s always 'not the right question' or 'not the proper way to phrase it' with uncle.”

Whrt.

“Okay, true but I couldn’t hurt to answer me when I ask a simple question.”

Arf.

“Why are you taking his side in all this? You’re not the one who has to impress whatever spoiled brats that princess decides to send over.”

Woof.

“No, I don’t think they’ll be nice.”

Arf

“I am not too negative.”

Grghgh.

“Meh, whatever. I’m done talking with you. Let’s just get back home, but first a quick stop at Red Wood’s Pet Emporium.”

Arwooh!

“See, I didn’t forget ya,” scratching his loyal dog behind her tufted ears.

-Warm Hart’s Café-

Sweet Hart raised her head from the oven door as she pulled out a fresh trey of gingerbread deer, the heat rushing over her muzzle. Her head snapped towards the front parlor as the bells rung and rapt against the door. Putting the tray down, she peered over the side of the door frame to see if anydeer was in the mood for coffee. Instead Cold was the only one to be seen trotting into the room, Casey following close behind him with a rawhide locked in her mouth.

“So you’re back finally, you’ve been gone for a while now." Cold didn't even attempt to respond to his aunt and walked on without even looking up. "Was he happy to see you?” Sweet stood off to the side, her silver and blue apron hanging loosely around her knees. Cold remained silent as he unstrung the laces of his cloak. Casey settled down on a chair at one of the tables. Hanging up the cloak on the wall, he turned to his aunt with a blank face.

“Not that great then, huh?” Her face withered as Cold opened his mouth but closed it again. Cold merely sat down next to Casey, playfully rubbing the dog’s head with one hoof as he laid his other down on the oak surface of the table. Sweet trotted over to him, sitting down across from her nephew on the other side.

“So, I’m gonna be leaving to-“

“You’re leaving? Where? When?” Jolting out of her seat and toppling over the chair.

“Can I finish please?” Sweet Hart grinned in embarrassment as she sat back down in her chair.

“So, seeing as your having a spazz attack, I guess you didn’t know what uncle Vanhi wanted with me." Cold stared his aunt in the face. No flinching or pawing at her nose. She really hadn’t been told everything then.Uncle usually doesn’t go that far to keep things a secret.

“Well, what’s the deal?” Vanhi, what did you rope your nephew into?

Cold gave her a smile and said “Oh nothing big, just gotta escort a few ponies from the Crystal Empire to back here.”

Sweet merely sat there, waiting for Cold to go on. “And?”

“That’s it.” Watching as his aunt waited for more information, he merely sat with his his cupped together as time trickled by.

“So then Cold, let me get this straight," throwing an accusing hoof at her nephew. "You just spent the past 3 hours sitting with your uncle, in a park, in the afternoon just so he could tell you can be a chauffeur?” her skepticism plain for all to see.

“Ha! I said the same exact thing!” shifting his chair back.

“So there was nothing else? Just go grab some ponies and bring ‘em back here?”

“Mhh-hmm,” nodding in confirmation.

“Feels like you’re not telling me all the major details here,"

“Yeah, it sucks doesn’t it?” relishing how the tables had turned. "I'll get evaluated and they'll tell me if I'm 'worthy' or not. I have to appeal to the Ministers tomorrow to let me do this. If I do receive approval, I’ll just take a quick train ride to pick up the ponies and take a ride back.”

“Okay, by the way is-“

“Yes Bittersweet still works there,” poorly suppressed rage showing on his face. “Trust me, I’ll bite my tongue.”

“Spirits help you boy, cause I wouldn’t be so polite towards that hag,” she replied through gritted teeth.

“Moving on,” desperately wanting to move the conversation forward. “I’m not worried about tomorrow, they’ll just say yay or nay no matter what I have to say. Their minds are probably already set.”

“Don’t sell yourself short Cold, I know you’ll get this job,” wrapping her hooves around his. “I have faith in you, now you need faith in yourself.”

“Thanks, well, I’m going back to sleep. I’ll be ready for tomorrow’s outcome.” His voice was strong but his face still held the same doubtful expression.

“You’re so lazy young deer but before you clock out, at least get some dinner alright?”

Cold sighed but gave his aunt a grin as they got out of their seats and walked towards the kitchen. The smell of potato soup greeted Cold’s nose, its hearty scent making his mouth water. “You even made my favorite soup Aunt Sweet? Today is a good day,” quipped Cold. “Is Dark going to be joining us?

“Uncle Dark to you, and no. He’s out tonight seeing some friends who just got back into town,” opening up the cupboard next to the stove. Cold sat down at the dinner table, his pillow from earlier still in the same exact spot. “I hope you realize that your Uncle Vanhi went through a lot of trouble to get this set up just for you, you know that?” as she began pulling out a pair of porcelain bowls.

“I’m very aware."

Sweet poured two bowls for Cold and herself. Walking over to the table, Casey staring up at her, her eyes pleading for more food. “Sorry sweetie, but you don’t get to eat any of this,” smiling down at the dog.

“So, any advice for tomorrow?”

“Thought you said you weren’t worried?” she said with an impish grin.

“I meant on what I should say, I have to play nice with these plotheads.” Cold lapped up his soup slowly, his tongue burning as he continued to eat. "Vanhi said that this is going to be the final day, so I guess they need to scrape at the bottom of the barrel if they couldn't find any buck else."

“So don’t run your mouth and play nice." Picking up Cold's bowl she walked over to the stove and poured out a second helping of soup. "You need to be honest and if they don't like what you have to say, then it wasn't meant to be."

“That it?”

“Yes, there’s nothing I need to say." Dropping the bowl in front of Cold, she put a hoof under his chin and raised his head up. "It's you who needs to mind youself. Who knows? Maybe you just need to find something to give you confidence.”

Dinner was finished in a pleasant silence. Rising up from the table, Cold left his still full bowl on the table beside the oven and began to walk towards the stairs. “Cold, you’re only going to have one bowl?” his pudgy aunt called out from the kitchen.

“Yeah, I don’t feel like eating much right now,” he replied half-way up the stairs. Walking down the hallway to his room, Casey stayed at his side the entire time.

Entering his room, he walked straight to the bathroom and turned the faucet to draw a warm bath. He felt a churning in his stomach lancing his insides. Tomorrow is gonna be a long day, as he pulled a red towel off the top of the sink and laid it on the floor. “What am I doing? I’m getting sucked into something I have no clue how to do in the first place. I don’t know anything about ponies, I don’t know if we even speak the same language.”

Cold dipped his forehoof into the warm water, pulling back from the initial shock. Slowly, he dropped his front hooves in followed by the rest of his body. Turning over his body to face belly up, he turned to Casey staring back at him. He had forgotten to close the door behind him.

Casey patted over to the side of the bath. Lifting her front paws to its lip, she peered over to let her muzzle rest against Cold's side. “What are you doing, you goofy dog?” a smile forming on his muzzle. Casey’s tail wagged in response, relishing the attention she was getting from her master.

“Guess we’ll, no, I’m going to have to be little miss snowflake in front of the ministry tomorrow," batting his eyelashes in a rather overly feminine way. "Can’t make any promises if they start to get underneath my hide that I won’t say what I’m thinking. What do you think girl?”

Casey only stood there, staring back at Cold until she licked the side of face, drawing her tongue along his cheek.

“Hmmm, don’t know if that’s gonna work with them. They’re not the touchy feely kind of bucks but you never know," splashing water across his face to get rid of Casey's spit. "I’ll try it if I want to make a long lasting memory for ‘em. Dunking his head underneath the water, he rubbed the sides of antlers to remove any hidden spots of dirt from his head. “Alright, back up now I’m getting out."

Casey backpedaled as Cold rose out of the tub, placing his hooves on the towel. the excess water dripping from his fur. Reaching over towards the sink he grabbed another to towel to dry off with. “Who know, maybe it’ll be five questions and I’m out, right?”

Wrt.

“Yeah, not likely, okay Casey time for bed.”

Arf.

“You already have a bed, why do want to sleep in mine?”

Woof.

“No, but I’ll let you sleep at the end of the bunk.”

Casey howled happily and bolted towards Cold’s bunk in a blur. Jumping on to the bottom, the lapphund circled in spot until finally stretching out. Cold toweled off and walked back into the room, stopping before the bunk. Cracking his, Cold felt the tension ebb away from him. As he began to climb into his bunk, a small glint from his desk caught his attention. Looking down, he saw a small ball shining from the light given off by his lantern hanging over his bed. A green and black lanyard was laid out carefully on top of the nightstand, attached to the bottom was a small silver bell. Two hooks at the top of the lanyard would hook around the back of the neck. A memento Cold lost years ago, he thought it was either thrown away or lost in the attic.

Maybe you need to find something to give you confidence.

Thanks Aunt Sweet, maybe this is the something I’ll need for tomorrow, he whispered to himself. Spirits help me, come tomorrow. Pulling the lanyard around his neck, he hooked the straps together. Lying down, the small bell gave him a small chill as he laid in his bunk. Casey shifted upwards to rest on his back legs. Cold drifted off to sleep, the comfort of his loyal dog and the security of his bell easing his mind.

From the doorway, Sweet watched her nephew drift into sleep. A smile formed on her muzzle when Cold donned the old lanyard.

-???-

A soon as Cold had shut his eyes; a strong light invaded his sleep. Turning his head to the other side of his pillow, the light continued to invade his eyes.

Why is it so bright? Opening his eyes, Cold woke up to find lying in a clearing with fir trees surrounding him. Standing up, he felt the sun’s rays shining down directly above, warming his coat. The pungent scent of the pine’s refreshing but sharp smell overwhelmed his nostrils as he sat back on his haunches. What, how did I get into a forest? I was in my room, Casey sleeping on my back hooves and then.

Cold’s focus shattered like glass as an earth-rocking boom erupted deeper within the forest. Soon another followed, like hoofsteps. His ears folded flat against his skull as building pressure made him collapse to the ground. Even as he heard the thundering booms, he couldn’t run. His legs refusing to obey him.

Whatever this beast was, it was large enough to make the earth tremor merely by walking. Trees fell, rocks bounced off the ground as the sound of the steps drew closer to the hollow. Soon a hoof stuck out into the small clearing, a very large dirt covered hoof accompanied by a very large head.

Cold looked up to see a stony face, covered in gravel, tree bark and fur with two empty sockets that glowed with a soft white light. The large reindeer in front of Cold gracefully walked into the clearing, its gargantuan form swallowing the area beneath it. As it towered above him, the earthen giant peered down at the hapless young buck in front of it, it formless eyes trained on him.

He watched as the creature lowered itself to lie down on its stomach. Its eyes never strayed away from his body. Cold could see the creature in clearer definition. Its antlers were tree stumps that turned to solid stone, its points ended in rough metal. Its fur was a rich green, mottled with dirt, stones, moss and leaves. Its hooves covered in bark but underneath of its exterior, it seemed to be made from stone as well.

Young child of the Northern Wilds, you called and I have answered,” echoed a deep stony voice, coming from below Cold. “Why do you not rise up to meet my eyes?

Cold tried to raise his head but the invisible force continued to prevent any progress. Cold tried to move his head to the sides but even that was met with force. He felt so frail; this creature was toying with him like a blind pup.

“I can’t get up.”

“You can, but you chose not to." Stones shook, branches swayed in an invisble wind and the grass even seemed to bend as the creature spoke. "You’ve let the burdens of fear and doubt weigh you down, you must be freed from such trivialities child. Don’t let fear impair your judgment, it will break you.

Cold stared up at the forest deer again; try to piece together its message. “I’m not afraid.”

You can lie to yourself, it won’t help.” The earthen reindeer only continued to stare down at Cold, its face a blank slate. “I can feel your fears, so stop lying to yourself. The fear of change, of confrontation, of the unknown and even how you fear yourself.

“Fear of myself? Why would I be afraid of myself?” Cold forced his head up, perspiration stinging into his eyes as he tried in vain to rise up. He tried to will himself up but his body was still being compressed beneath an invisible weight.

“Fear comes in many forms, from many things but it is all comes from inside of us." Lowering its giant muzzle down to his, Cold nostrils burned as the creatures scent struck his nose. Sweet yet incredibly musty, the creature's smell made him think of it as living being of nature. "You are wise to fear yourself for it shows you know what you are capable of. Knowing what you can do is more terrifying then what you can’t do.

“That doesn’t make any sense,” Cold's mouth began to froth as his anger grew. The inability to move was fueling his rage but if the stone reindeer even noticed, it hardly seemed to care as it continued to talk.

You are aware of what you can do but you chose to not act. You can go further; all it will take is for you to make that first step, young sprout.

“So what do I do?”

A booming laugh echoed into Cold’s mind. “You already have that answer, why you chose to ignore it is well beyond me,” it replied with mirth.

“Well answer this then, who or what are you.”

“…” The stony mouth opened and closed but no sound came out.

“Well?”

Again young sprout, you know the answer. I never forgot you, but sadly you lost me in your memories,” it said, sorrow heavy in its voice. “You waited so long to call me, I was afraid you forgotten me, and it seems you have.

“Will you tell me then, please?” Whatever this thing was, it enjoyed speaking in riddles.

No. You will remember in time but don’t wait too long this time to search for me. You won’t be able to hear my voice again if you fail,” it said solemnly.

The forest floor beneath Cold began to crack, the earth beginning to give away. Cold eyes locked onto the forest deer as he fell into the pit beneath, swallowed by darkness.

-Warm Hart’s Café-

Cold bolted up, knocking Casey off his back. Standing up on his bunk, his head swiveled around as he tried to find the forest deer that he was talking with. Casey snarled at Cold, trying to find the reason he interrupted her sleep. It had felt so real, the pine needles beneath his hooves, the smell of the forest. What was that? As he peered outside, he noticed it was some time before sunrise.

Cold dropped back into his bunk, Casey jumped up and laid down by his side to share his warmth. Cold’s mind too out of sync with the real world to notice Casey’s attempts to grab attention. One phrase that continued to flash itself over and over again.

You already know the answer.