• Published 12th Jan 2014
  • 812 Views, 6 Comments

When Friends are Said and Dun - xenos29



A tale aboutTwilight coming into her own as a Princess, learning one of the hardest lessons about friendship. Safe for readers big and small as they explore Equestria. Reccommended, but not necessary, to be familiar with the show and comics

  • ...
1
 6
 812

Chapter 30

"Mares and gentlecolts, your attention, please."

Though the ballroom was packed, the crowd of ponies quickly settled under Luna's announcement. A sea of wide, colorful eyes faced the stage at the end of the room, where she, Twilight, and Princess Celestia stood. Apart from Alpenglow from Alpenglow and her friends, Twilight noticed the crowd from both Ponyville and Canterlot stayed a respectful distance from the stage. Their combined silence was deafening as Princess Celestia stepped forward, horseshoes clinking like faraway, ethereal bells.

"First off," the Princess started, "I want to thank everypony who helped make this dinner possible. Though terrible events have brought us together, we in Canterlot are nonetheless glad to have you here. We hope that tonight will provide you some relief from the hardships you have endured, as well as an opportunity for us to demonstrate our continuing admiration for our neighbors in Ponyville. Know that tomorrow, you will be able to return to your homes, thanks in no small part to the efforts of your very own friends and neighbors. Please keep them in your thoughts and hearts tomorrow. Thank you."

The citizens of Equestria stamped their applause as the Princess turned to face Twilight. It was no small comfort to finally see her mentor and Luna after several days of relative peace and comfort. While nothing less than rejuvenating for Twilight and her friends, to go for so long with only an occasional letter from the princesses had left everypony a little on edge, if only because they were all right next door to each other. Still, for all their isolation and unceasing work, the two alicorns each kept a gentle smile, a magical feat in itself as they, Twilight, and everypony else gathered in their private little circle.

Princess Celestia surveyed all of them for a moment, her satisfied smile only growing bigger as her eyes swept over each of them. She ended with Twilight and asked, "Is it ready?"

"Yes," Twilight smiled, nodding at Rarity. As she and Spike hopped behind stage, everypony walked Alpenglow forward, following him as they did.

The crowd had already dispersed into mixed groups of six or so, filling the round tables spread throughout the ballroom. They began eating as Rainbow gave Alpenglow a friendly shove, bringing him to stand before Twilight and the princesses.

In her own, restrained way, Luna glowed. "It is…beyond wonderful to have you back, Alpenglow."

"Twilight and her friends tell us you’ve changed a great deal since you all first met," added Princess Celestia. "I’m glad to see they were able to accomplish what we couldn’t." She sighed. "We’ve lost so much time, and still have so much to catch up on. I fear tonight is all we’ll have for now."

"It’s alright. We'll just have to make the most of it. As for them..." he said, turning towards Twilight and her friends, "...I wouldn’t be standing here- in more ways than one- if it weren’t for all of you."

"It was our pleasure," said Fluttershy.

"I look forward to many more pranks and discussions of your glorious military conquests, Alpenglow," added Luna. "Such fun!"

"Luna," said Princess Celestia, "I believe you're forgetting that we only ever sent them as ambassadors."

The princess of the night gave a coy smile. "Ah yes, of course." Leaning close to Alpenglow, she muttered, "We shall talk later."

The stallion grinned, shaking his head. "I’m looking forward to the old routine, Princess: following you all day, watching you sign papers and cut ribbons, and then up until morning with Luna after a whole five minutes of sleep."

"Surely the duties we gave you were not so unjust?" Luna scoffed.

"Maybe, but you weren’t the one with the bruises after those midnight manticore bouts you dragged me into."

"Nonsense," she protested, "you always gave the impression that you enjoyed it!"

"Maybe you were just too busy to notice when you were throwing it at me and laughing like a lunatic."

Pinkie giggled as she wiped away a tear. "Heeheehee, that’s classic!"

"Excuse, me, Twilight?" called Rarity from behind the stage. "Are we ready?"

"As ready as we'll ever be."

The princesses moved aside as Twilight and Rarity stood to face Alpenglow, holding in their hooves a large but neat pile of cloth and metal. Using their magic, they lifted the individual pieces and began assembling the shiny jigsaw puzzle around him. Once finished, Twilight stepped back to marvel at their work.

For somepony whose focus was fashion, Rarity had outdone herself. The silver plates of the armor glistened like a stream in the sun, complimenting the dark lavender cloak embroidered with the Elements of Harmony. She noticed Rarity had also opted to keep the boots and chainmail underneath. They added an air of adventure to the ensemble, something she must have said to herself while making it. Passing the helmet to Spike, she circled Alpenglow, eyes ever more critical in the face of her own work.

"To be perfectly honest, metalworking is not my forte, but I think a few simple etches made for a rather...austere charm? The visor, on the other hoof, was a bit of collaboration between myself and the royal blacksmith. I felt all the screws and latches would be too obtrusive, but she insisted it was the most practical option. If it's all the same, an open helmet makes for a much more heroic façade, don’t you think, Alpenglow?"

The polished steel rubbed silently against itself as Alpenglow twisted and turned in the armor. "I wouldn’t know; I’m no hero," he said, smiling. "It’s beautiful. Thank you, Rarity."

Ponyville's renowned fashionista beamed. "You are most welcome."

"A small detail, Alpenglow," the Princess noted solemnly. "The symbol you wear is not just decoration. It has a greater meaning. From now on, you are no longer an Equestrian Knight."

"Indeed," continued Princess Luna, "per the request of Princess Twilight Sparkle, you are hereby assigned to her royal guard, of which you are- unofficially- the first." Her formal demeanor evaporated. "I believe congratulations are in order, perhaps a round of cider and some sort of noise makers?"

"I’m not sure I understand."

Princess Celestia placed a hoof on his shoulder. "Luna and I felt it best if we finally left the knights to history. We’d be happy to have you in this sense, as our guard, and I know you’d like the change. You've been feeling tired, haven't you? If you’re ready, we can start over."

He frowned, uncertain. "What do you think, Twilight?"

"I’d be honored, but if you’re going to be my guard, there’s one rule I need you to always follow."

"What is it?"

Twilight took the helmet from Spike and slipped it over Alpenglow's head.

"You have to be a good friend."

Before everypony left to join the dinner in progress, Rarity made Alpenglow promise he would come down and spend some time with them all. Since then, he, Twilight, and the princesses had passed the evening sitting on stage, talking, laughing, and sharing stories as the dinner gradually unfolded between the ponies of Canterlot and Ponyville. In twos and threes, they finished eating and began to wander into the garden. After much high-pitched beckoning from the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Luna eventually joined them. Her raucous laughter now carried well into the ballroom, whose windows were now the stage for Scoootaloo as she zipped above the treetops outside, her little wings held aloft by a steady blue glow.

"Wasn't there a time when you couldn’t even get her to smile in public?" asked Alpenglow, rubbing his neck.

"Yes," the Princess smiled. "I have trouble believing it myself sometimes, but I’m so glad we were able to move on. I feel as if I know her better than ever."

"No doubt. I can see it in you, too. It’s good to see you two let your hair down...so to speak." Somewhere, Twilight heard Pinkie laugh. "By the way, you never did tell me how you do that."

"You’ll find out when you become a princess," she teased.

"A thousand years later, and you still won’t tell me." He sighed. "Oh well, had to ask."

"Hello, little friends. Are you here? I’m back."

As if under some enchantment, the foliage of the garden peeled away, revealing a miniature crowd of beaks, paws, and furry noses. They all approached slowly, drawn to the sweet notes of the pony standing in the clearing, yet cautious of her heavily armored companion.

"They’re a shy bunch," said Alpenglow.

"Oh yes, but if I’ve learned anything from them, it’s that everypony has a song." She gingerly petted a squirrel at the front of the group. "You just have to learn to play it."

"You’ve got quite a gift, Fluttershy."

"Oh, it’s nothing, really. You could do it too if you wanted."

"Thanks, but I’m happy just watching."

He marveled at Fluttershy as she continued to dote on the critters, recalling the rare instances when he indulged in something as peaceful as animal watching. During the mission, such escapes were rare and fleeting: a flock of migrating birds, a tree untouched by Blight and their battles, the sound of Tawny playing her flute as they made camp for the night. She would've absolutely adored Fluttershy’s voice. She would've liked it here in the garden.

Another lovely chord flowed from the pegasus, and a trio of birds floated down from the treetops, landing on her mane without making so much as a crease.

"That’s amazing."

"I was lucky to have lots of good teachers," she said, perching a sparrow on her wing. "What about you, Alpenglow?"

"Plenty, just not with music. Tawny tried to teach me once, though. I was no Nat King Colt, but I could hit the notes."

"King who?"

"Before your time," he grinned. "You know, you’ve held up pretty well the past few days, helping everypony when they needed it. But what about you? Are you going to be alright for tomorrow?"

She tickled the squirrel, now draped over her shoulder. "Don’t worry. I know I’m not the bravest pony, but I’ll gladly join all of you tomorrow. Ponyville is our home, and we can’t go back until Blight is gone. Everypony is counting on us. We won’t let them down."

"You’re braver than you let on, if that's how you feel."

"Oh, I don’t know about that."

"Trust me, you are."

"Not like you. You saw me at the observatory. I’m still terrified of heights. I get scared of places where I can't see well, even here in the garden."

"Well, how about I let you in on a little secret?" He leaned closer to her. "So do I."

"Really?"

He nodded. "It's not very fun, is it?"

Fluttershy's eyes closed as she shook her head. "No...it's not."

"The first lesson Luna taught me was about being afraid. Courage, real courage, isn't being unafraid. It's doing what's necessary even though you are afraid. You've done it already- lots of times, according to Twilight. And the trick is understanding the difference between danger and fear. The first is very real, but the second can only exist in your head."

"How do you know which is which? Alpenglow…?"

"Hold that thought, Fluttershy. Do you hear that?" He shut out the noise of the animals, the noise of the dinner, the sound of his breath, and closed his eyes. The earth whispered a rustling of leaves and mulch. Fresh wood made a stretchy moan as it was stepped on and bent. Behind the critters sat a large, youthful hedge, its flowers in bloom and its leaves a furtive sage.

"I don't hear anything."

"Just focus. Block out what you already know. Listen for what you don't. It'll come."

Alpenglow smiled as Fluttershy closed her eyes, her ears slowly but surely homing in on the hedge. The sea of critters parted before her as she walked forward. Sitting down, she gingerly reached out and bent back one of the branches, revealing a shaggy silhouette and a large pair of disquieting, brown eyes. The shape's growl was quiet but constant.

"Shhhh, no need for that, little guy. We’re all friends here." As she reached out, a clawed foot swiped at the air in front of her outstretched hoof. She didn’t budge.

"We’re so sorry for waking you up. I was just visiting some friends in the garden. We can leave now, if you want."

The shape kept up its growling, but after a minute, the growl shrank to a grumble, and a little tongue stretched from the hedge, licking her hoof. With more rustling of leaves, the shape reluctantly left its little hideaway.

It was a possum, round and grey, with the face of a donkey who had just been out in the rain, but even his stony exterior melted the second Fluttershy began to cuddle him like a shaggy, sharp-nosed baby.

"Unreal," muttered Alpenglow.

"He was just a little grumpy from all the noise," she said as she petted their former recluse. "Did you know that mama opossums have a pouch to carry their babies when they're born?"

He suddenly couldn't remember if he had known that or not, and it made him a little sad.

"These little guys are amazing. And they're just one of the many creatures you can find in the trees. They all love to gather around and snack on fruit hanging from the branches, and it's a great way to see the shyer ones, if you know where to look."

He hadn't looked in a long time.

"So what were you saying, Alpenglow? About the difference between danger and fear?"

"You already know what it is."

"But what?"

"Intuition. You must use your intuition, Fluttershy. It will open your senses and anticipate the movements of the world around you. Actually, those might've been Luna’s exact words."

"It sounds like you learned a lot from her."

"Yeah, I did."

"Say, how about when this is all over, I teach you how to sing more?" She smiled earnestly. "It’s the least I can do, since you taught me something today."

"Nothing you didn’t already know, but I won’t say no to that offer. I’d love to."

"It’s a deal. Just as long as you don’t jump off any more cliffs." She blushed. "I’m sorry, that wasn’t very funny."

"No, it’s fine," he chuckled. "And don’t worry, if everything goes to plan tomorrow, I won’t be going anywhere for a long time."

Instead of returning straight to the ballroom, Alpenglow’s legs carried him farther and farther into the pastel groves of the garden, where trees in bloom cast a pallet of perfumed scents on him. The gentle breeze of the mountain brushed its hand over the foliage, causing leaves, grass, and flowers alike to dance in their own silent, green gala.

A heartbeat later, the world turned flimsy and plastic before his eyes, as if somepony had stolen the real trees and plants and replaced them with cheap cutouts. The terrain degraded further still, decomposing into joyless features: choke points, possible swarm and ambush spots, natural bulwarks that could be used for fortifications. Standing in the middle of it all, out in the open, he felt sick, disoriented, as if he were about to lose his balance.

Sitting under a tree had been a reliable form relief for him in the past, but here he took an instant disliking to it as he eased himself against a nearby willow. The bark was scratching him, the crooked branches overhead waiting to fold over and crush him.

He quickly stood up and began to pace, eventually settling on a patch of dirt that let him sit with his back to the garden wall. With a wary distrust, his eyes picked apart every shadow. He listened for the scraping of thorns against rock, head titled slightly towards his scabbard, still empty.

The smell of flowers, and freshly-cut grass, and clean air was overpowering now, vistas of past and present bearing down on him in a tangled, muddled mess. An absurd, but very sincere thought crossed his mind: this couldn’t be real. He must be imagining it all. Twilight, her friends, the princesses, this whole world was just some sad delusion, a last-ditch effort of his grief-roasted mind to escape his existence in the box. Whether it ended sooner or later didn't matter. Inevitably, he would wake up in the cave, wearing his old, rusted armor, looking Blight in his yellow eyes, his gateway back to exhaustion and desolation.

Miraculously, the distant sound of Pinkie's laughing brought him back to his senses, and possibly his sanity, too. Being here, in the garden, with everyone close by, he realized with a shock that he had gradually come to doubt the existence of places where ponies were happy, not fighting, suffering, or sprawling in the mud. Still, that moment of rampant despair was not a welcome development, brief though it was. He took a deep breath to calm himself down, but it turned sour, sharp, and sudden. He let it go, and it came out in a choked gasp.

Alpenglow slowly took off his helmet, placed it on the ground next to him, and for the first time in recent memory, he began to sob quietly. Strangely enough, it helped.