• Published 22nd Nov 2013
  • 9,191 Views, 121 Comments

Freshman Blues - Wildcard25



Spike has begun high school and hopes he'll fit in before the high school world eats him alive

  • ...
16
 121
 9,191

Day at the Mall

A week had passed since Spike's first parkour exercise with Rainbow Dash, and since then he'd attend his daily classes, his club activity afterwards with Twistin' and Vinyl, finished up with a routine parkour lesson with Rainbow Dash. After that he'd head home for a bite to eat and get started on his homework. It was Friday afternoon at Canterlot High during lunch time, and Spike and Puck met with their friends Featherweight who was admitted into the journalism club, and the trio of Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo.

"Hey, guys, what's up?" Spike asked as he and Puck sat down at their groups table.

"Hey, Spike, hey, Puck." Sweetie Belle greeted them.

"Same old here, actually." Applebloom answered.

"Dull, huh?" Puck asked and the girls nodded. He turned to Featherweight, "So, Featherweight, how's the next issue of C.H.S Daily coming along?"

"Slow to be exact," Featherweight answered, "It's hard to find a decent story to publish at this time."

"Well, give it time. Something's bound to come up." Spike nudged his shoulder.

"Yeah, you're right, Spike." Featherweight nodded with a boost of confidence.

"So what's everyone's plans for the weekend?" Spike asked the group.

"Well we were hoping to find some new way to express our talents," Applebloom began, "I mean the music video we made a few days ago has really gotten some negative feedback."

"Some people can't appreciate fine work." Scootaloo said with crossed arms.

"Or maybe people today are just too critical to those who try to openly express themselves." Sweetie Belle put in.

"Yeah a lot of people are just haters," Puck stated as they heard laughing. They turned and saw Rover, Fido, and Spot bugging some of the younger students, "Like that trio of mutts." the five laugh at his joke.

"But we do have plans tonight," Scootaloo began, "Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash are taking us to the mall."

"Yeah. Rarity wants to take advantage of the sales while they last." Sweetie Belle explained.

"You guys wanna come with?" Applebloom offered.

"Us?" the three asked.

"Who else?" Applebloom asked.

"Are you sure we wouldn't be intruding?" Featherweight asked worried.

"Don't worry, my big sis and her friends won't mind." Applebloom assured the three.

Puck smirked and pulled Spike and Featherweight each into a headlock, "Well, boys, we got plans tonight!"

"Cool." Featherweight wheezed from the headlock.

Soon after classes and Spike's club activity, the six left the school and went their separate ways. Later on at Spike's and Twilight's apartment building, the boy was kicking back in his room, until he heard his cellphone beep, "Must be them." he checked the message.

~Spike, we're down here. So get your ass down here before I come up there and get it myself.- Rainbow Dash~

Spike couldn't help but feel aroused by such a warning, only to shake it off. He grabbed his wallet, keys, and his hoody before leaving his room, "Heading out, Twilight. I'll be back later."

"Ok, Spike. Try not to give the girls trouble." Twilight teased him.

"Ha-ha." Spike laughed sarcastically, before walking out the door.

When he went downstairs, he walked outside the building and saw a red SUV with Applejack at the wheel, Rainbow in the passenger seat, in the middle seat were Rarity, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and Applebloom, and in the far back were Puck and Featherweight. Rainbow rolled down the window and called, "Come on, Spike, get in the car. Let's cruise."

Spike opened the door, and jumped in the far back with his boys, "Yall set, Spike?" Applejack called looking in the rear view mirror.

"You know it." he nodded.

"Then let's get go all ready!" Rainbow called.

"Simmer down, Sally." Applejack calmed her, before taking off.

As they drove Rarity looked in back at Spike, "Oh, Spike, it's nice that you and your friends agreed to join us."

"Hey who could resist palling around with you gals?" Spike asked while putting on his best suave demeanor, as Puck and Featherweight smile to themselves at his attempts to woo the older and most poplar one at school, "Besides I gotta swing by their music shop and pick up some new remix CDs to practice to for the club."

Soon they arrived at Cantelot's mall, and entered the place packed with all sorts of stores, "So what do we do?" Rainbow asked the group.

"Well Sweetie Belle and I are going to the clothes designer shop to pick up some new outfits," Rarity began, "After all when there's a sale you have to take full advantage."

"Well Applebloom and I are gonna be checkin' out the fruit market and see how much our family apple products are looking." Applejack said on behalf of herself and her sister.

"Scoots and I will stick with the boys. We're gonna check out Wild's shop." Rainbow noted.

"Great then we'll meet up at the food court in thirty." Applejack instructed.

"Works for me." Rarity nodded in approval, as Sweetie Belle nodded as well.

"See you guys then." Applebloom said as she, Sweetie Belle, and their older sisters took off.

"Well, come on guys, let's do it to it!" Puck called as the three boys and two girls took off through the mall.

Soon they walked up to a shop reading Wildcard's Shuffle. Above the title was a five card hand and on the sides were two big dice. In the display windows were multiple game items, "Wildcard's Shuffle; the perfect game shop." Spike said as they entered the shop.

At the counter was a young man about eighteen to nineteen with light blue hair, and green eyes. His outfit included a black and white checkerboard patterned vest, red sneakers, blue jeans, a yellow shirt with an eightball on it, and around his neck was a necklace of three dice, "Welcome to Wildcard's Shuffle, a gamer's paradise." he addressed.

"Hey, cuz, nice use of dramatics." Rainbow said.

"Hey, Rainbow, how're you?" he asked, as he came around the counter to fist bump with the girl.

"They're cousins?" Featherweight asked Spike, Scoots, and Puck.

Puck shrugged as Spike answered, "Yeah Wildcard is Rainbow Dash's cousin. He runs this shop while earning up to go to college."

Wild spotted Spike, "Hey, there's my favorite customer! How're you doing, Spike?"

"Doing great, and I'd like you to meet some of new friends form school," Spike began pulling his boys over, "This is Puck Shot, and Featherweight. You already know Scootaloo. Guys meet Wildcard."

"Nice to meetcha boys." Wild shook each of their hands.

"Right bat at ya." Puck replied.

"So Spike's your favorite customer?" Featherweight asked curiously.

"That he is. When Rainbow found out he was a collector of Monster Warriors dueling cards, he brought him over to my shop," Wild explained, "I was amazed to see how much he was into the game. I even taught him some handy combos and techniques."

"I get all of my best cards from him." Spike added.

Puck and Featherweight was jaw agape, "No wonder you have more good cards in your deck than we do." Puck gasped.

"Hey, don't worry I can get you boys some good ones as well, being friends of Spike and all." Wild offered them.

"That would be so generous." Featherweight said with a smile.

"We may even have to duel you some time." Puck added.

"I wouldn't recommend it," Rainbow began, "My cousin holds the title for Game Master."

"Game Master?" Featherweight asked.

"Yeah. Wild's nearly unbeatable because he has this un-explainable gift of good luck. Even I've yet to beat him in a duel." Spike explained.

"Whoa." the two boys gasped.

Wild turned to Spike, "So Spike, I hear Rainbow's training you in parkour now?"

"Yeah that's right." Spike nodded.

"How's that working for you?" the Game Master asked.

"It's doing great," Spike admitted, "I never knew I could be good at a sport like that."

"Well don't let my cousin give you too much of a rough time." Wild ruffled Rainbow's hair.

"Cuz, not in front of the Freshmen." Rainbow groaned at his treatment of her. The four younger teens chuckled at her embarrassment, only for her to finger point at them to shut up with a glare to enforce it, thus silencing them.

After getting a few packs of their favorite card game, the boys left the shop with Rainbow and Scootaloo. They walked through the mall before entering a music shop, with Spike looking at the CD's, "There's got to be some good ones I can practice to." he said as he was inspecting a number of CD's.

"Might I make a suggestion?" a familiar voice asked.

Spike turned and saw Vinyl Scratch who was with another girl with long dark gray hair and mulberry eyes. Her outfit included brown dress shoes, black pants, a gray blouse with the image of a purple treble cleff on the pocket located on the right breast part of her bloude, a white collar and pink bow tie "Hey Vinyl!" Spike cheered as the two fist bumped.

"Nice to see you here, Spike." Vinyl replied.

"Hey, Vinyl, Octavia." Rainbow said as she and the other three approached.

"Hey, Rainbow Dash." Vinyl said as the girls fist bumped.

Spike noticed the other girl eyeballing him, "Who's your friend?" he asked.

"Right, you never met," Vinyl began, "Spike, Puck, Featherweight, Scootaloo this is my friend, Octavia Melody. She's with the school band."

"Nice to meet you all." she greeted them respectively.

"Nice to meet you too," Spike returned the gesture, "I think I saw you in the band room playing the cello. You're very good at it."

"Good is an understatement," Vinyl replied, "She's the best."

Octavia chuckled, "You give me too much credit, Vinyl."

"Actually I agree with her too." Rainbow admitted.

"So you two are friends?" Puck asked as he and Featherweight eyeballed them oddly.

"Of course." Vinyl answered as Octavia spoke in confusion.

"Does that surprise you?"

"It's just you play classical, and Vinyl remixes with hip hop," Featherweight explained, "We figured two girls like you with different taste in music would be rivals."

The two girls looked at each other before chuckling at his theoretical observation, "Well, I guess you could say that from one stand point." Vinyl explained.

"But Vinyl and I have come to terms and respect each others choice in music." Octavia added.

"Oh, well that's cool by me." Puck admitted.

"Me too." Featherweight agreed.

"Maybe you can help me, Vinyl. I need some remixes to practice my moves too." Spike explained.

"Say no more my friend. I know just the CD's you need," Vinyl said as she started picking out some CD's for him, "Here ya go. Listen to these and work some moves."

"Wow thanks, Vinyl." Spike thanked her feeling grateful.

Vinyl smiled and fist bumped with Spike, "No problem."

So after paying for his CD's him and his group met up with Sweetie Belle, Applebloom, and their sisters at the food court where they were having a bite. Rarity and Sweetie Belle had multiple clothes bags, and some contained sewing materials for Rarity to use in her own boutique, "So how was your shopping Rarity?" Rainbow asked.

"A complete success," she answered joyfully, "Soon I'll have a new line up of outfits ready to be sold."

"What about you guys?" Sweetie Belle asked the others.

"It was awesome," Puck began, "Rainbow introduced us to her cousin Wild, and thanks to Spike we got some special trading card packs."

"I went to get my remix CD's and I bumped into Vinyl and her friend Octavia." Spike added.

"And how're those two doing?" Applejack asked, as she took a bite out of her apple pie.

"They're cool." Rainbow admitted, before taking a bite out of her burger.

"Speaking of Vinyl," Rarity began, "Spike, how has the hip hop club been treating you? I do hope they're not giving you a hard time." she finished in worry.

"Not at all," Spike answered, "It's been at least over a week and I'm proud to say I've been accepted as one of their own."

"That's good news, and what of your training with Rainbow Dash?" she asked again.

"Yeah, that's a sport I felt only Rainbow could do." Applejack added as Rainbow smiled with pride.

"Actually, it's been doing good for me," Spike admitted, "I feel stronger and faster thanks to it. I'm in better shape than I've ever been in my life." he flexed a muscle in his arm.

"Still could use more though." Rainbow teased him, resulting in him face faulting.

"Well I think Spike is lucky," Scootaloo spoke up, "I mean learning parkour with Rainbow Dash? I would kill to have an opportunity like that."

"Don't worry Scoots, you'll have your chance soon enough." Rainbow ruffled the girls head and they all laughed.

Spike sighed, "Now this is the perfect way to spend the afternoon," he said as he rested his head on his hands, "Relaxing at the mall with your closest friends, having a bite, sharing some laughs, what could make this any better?"

"A super model convention," Puck spoke up, only to started getting punched at by Applebloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle, "Ow! Hey, girls, I was kidding!" Spike and Featherweight laughed at Puck's misfortune.

Soon it was getting late, and Applejack was driving the group back to their places. Soon the only ones left in the car were Applejack, Rarity, Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, and Spike. A.J pulled up outside his apartment, "Well, catch ya later, Spike." Applejack bid him a farewell.

"Yes, once again we're so glad you decided to join us," Rarity added, "We should do this again more often." she batted her eyes at him.

Spike smiled, "I'm always a call or text away. Goodnight girls." And with that Applejack drove off and Spike smiled happily with a sigh, "Best day ever." he went to his apartment and went inside.