• Published 22nd Nov 2013
  • 9,192 Views, 121 Comments

Freshman Blues - Wildcard25



Spike has begun high school and hopes he'll fit in before the high school world eats him alive

  • ...
16
 121
 9,192

Hip Hop Competition

At C.H.S after school inside the Hip Hop Club's room, Twistin' was standing before all club members, "All right, yo, listen up. As you know this weekend is the big end of the year Hip Hop competition between our school and Northwestern. This years competition will not be easy, but I have confidence in the lot of you we can pull through."

"Yeah!" the students cheered.

Twistin' looked at the members, before his eyes fell on Spike, "Spike."

"Uh, yes?" he asked, as he stood up.

"While I normally don't risk putting newbies in such a yearly competition, I am willing to bend my own rules."

"Huh?"

"I want you to be one of our representatives in the competition." he stated.

"Me, are you serious?" Spike asked in shock, seeing his hunch about Twistin' planning to select him to participate was accurate.

"You've proven us all time and time again you got the moves. With those moves we are a definite shoe in to win. Last year we came this close to blowing it, but with your fresh talent we can do better." Twistin' explained.

"Wow, I don't know what to say." Spike gasped.

"But I can't force you to do it against your will. So what is your answer?"

Spike pondered on the idea, before reaching a decision, "Count me in."

"Are you sure?" Twistin' asked, "Keep in mind you're going to be facing pros who've practiced since the day they wore diapers," Spike wasn't sure whether to take Twistin' seriously or roll his eyes. Rather he continued to listen, "If you want to stand a chance you'll have to practice like never before. Push yourself to your limits. Do you think you can do that?"

The other members looks to Spike, knowing that's a lot of pressure to put on their newest member. Spike who was at first shaken up by Twistin's warnings didn't want to look like a wimp, so he put on his brave face and answered, "I know I can."

Twistin' put his hands on Spike's shoulders, getting into his face, "You've made a wise choice my friend. Come Saturday, we'll see the fruits of your extensive training. Until then, everyone let's get busy!" he announced. And so for the next hour or so the group had been practicing.

When the club meeting was over, everyone started clearing out for the day, while Spike was the only one left. Once he got his bag, he left the building to see his sister and the girls sitting on the steps of the school, "Hey, Spike." they greeted them.

"Hi, girls." Spike answered as he walked down the steps to join them.

"So, how was today's meeting?" Rainbow asked.

"Well, I was right. Twistin' chose me to be a participant in the end of the year hip hop competition." Spike answered.

"Really?" Pinkie asked.

"Uh-huh."

"Spike, that's great!" Twilight smiled.

"Congratulations." Fluttershy clapped a few times.

"How wonderful, darling." Rarity hugged him.

"We knew ya had it in ya." Applejack playfully punched his shoulder.

"That's awesome!" Rainbow finished.

"Thanks, girls. Though this week I'm gonna have to be staying afterward for extra practice. Twistin' expects us all to be at the top of our game."

"Hopefully not too late," Twilight stated, "You know how mom and dad can be."

"Yeah." Spike nodded.

"Well come on, let's grab a sundae." Pinkie suggested, as they headed off to Sugarcube Corner.

Once there, they were each having an ice cream while talking, "So how tough have the hip hop competitions been?" Spike asked, wanting to know their thoughts.

"Very-very-very challenging." Pinkie answered.

"The competitors that have partook in the event have proven to be real professionals." Twilight added.

"The stuff they were capable of could've landed them on TV for the big leagues." Rainbow put in.

"And you can sure this year's gonna be tougher than last year." Applejack stated.

"Uh, girls." Fluttershy spoke up, as they looked seeing Spike was trembling and unable to keep his spoon in his hand.

"Oh my gosh, Spike!" Twilight gasped, "We're so sorry. We didn't mean to scare you like that."

"Yeah, I mean so what if the competition's gonna be big this year?" Rainbow asked, "We know you can pull it off."

"Yeah, and we'll be there to root for ya." Applejack promised.

"Thanks, girls." Spike said, as he started calming down, "I'm gonna need all the support I can get for this."

"Being supportive is what Pinkie Pie's do best," Pinkie began, "Hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo!"

"I'm glad to hear it. If Twistin' believes me to be ready then I won't disappoint him or my fellow club members." Spike said.

"That's the confident Spike we know." Applejack stated, and they all smiled at him.

The very next day after school, Spike and the club members had gotten in their practice and soon left. Spike however had stayed afterward to practice some more. When he stopped dancing he took a bottle of water from his bag and drank from it, before seeing Vinyl in the doorway, "Oh, you're still here?" he asked.

"Yeah, strange you were too." Vinyl noted.

"Just getting in some extra practice." Spike admitted.

"Clearly." Vinyl replied.

Spike sighed, "With the competition this week I can't afford to slack off. Twistin' believes in me and I'm not gonna let him down."

"Well, not much practice will help if you strain yourself." Vinyl warned him.

Spike sighed, "Yeah, you're right."

"Come on, let's get out of here." Vinyl said, with a smile. Spike smiled and followed her out of the school.

When they stood by the curb they waited for the walk signal, until vinyl spoke up, "Hey, Spike?"

"Yeah?"

"How about I show you a few moves of my own?" she offered.

"You know moves?" Spike asked.

"Yeah, I mean not break dancing, but how about I show you how I walk it out?"

"Well ok." he admitted.

"Good." she pulled out her MP3, and the moment the walk signal came she turned it on and it started playing dubstep. She was rocking here head a few times before walking the crosswalk strutting it out in a dance style.

Spike followed her while feeling impressed on how the music could move her, "Wow Vinyl, that a good way to walk."

"This is the only way to walk," she smirked, "Come on, join me."

"Well, all right." Spike said, as he got into the dubstep beat and started walking it out the same as Vinyl.

Vinyl watched as Spike was strutting it out like she was, "That's right, Spike! Feel the rhythm. Feel it and walk it out like a boss!"

"I'm feeling it all right." Spike admitted, as he walked it out feeling like a boss.

As the two continued to dance it out with their walk, a lot of pedestrians noticed them and felt impressed at how perfectly in sync they were with their dance walk. When they finally reached Spike's apartment, they stopped and Vinyl turned off her MP3, "How was that?" Spike asked the D.J.

"In the words of Rainbow Dash... Awesome!" Vinyl answered.

"Thanks, and that did help me get into a better mood." Spike admitted.

"I'm glad."

"Hey, Vinyl, could I ask a favor of you?"

"Of course."

"Well I was wondering if you could stay behind an extra half hour or so to help me practice for the competition?" he requested.

Vinyl smiled, "I'd be delighted to help you."

"You will?" Spike asked in joy, and the girl nodded,

"Yeah, I could use it as a chance to work on my remixes for the competition."

"Thanks, Vinyl!"

"No problem." she answered, as she turned her MP3 back on and danced off, leaving Spike to head inside.

The day afterward, Spike stayed after the club meeting with Vinyl who was helping him with his practice. She was working some remixes on the turntable, while Spike was working his moves. Suddenly he stopped dancing, "Hold it, hold it. Vinyl, stop the music."

Vinyl did so, "What's wrong, Spike?"

"It's this music. No offense, Vinyl, but this beat isn't moving me like yesterday's one." Spike explained.

"None taken, personally I feel this beat isn't my best either. Let me try another," she started mixing in some new beats, "How's this one for ya?"

"Much better." Spike admitted, as he started getting the rhythm back.

"Thanks. Twistin' also told me to practice with my remixes. It's one thing for the competitors to have their moves down by Saturday, but unless they have good music to go with their moves it won't matter."

"Logic." Spike admitted, still not breaking focus.

"As you can see, we both have something to work on for this weekend." Vinyl continued scratching records.

Soon they ceased their practice and called it for a day. They stopped in at Sugarcube corner, and were sharing some banana cream pie, "Boy, this is good." Spike admitted.

"Got that right." Vinyl agreed.

"Thanks again for sticking around to help me out, Vinyl."

"Well, thank you for giving me an honest opinion about the remixes I'm working on." she replied.

"No sweat." Spike said, as Pinkie slid over.

"Hey, guys. How're you?"

"Hey, Pinkie, we're doing great." Spike answered.

"You liking that pie?" Pinkie asked them.

"Sure do." Vinyl nodded.

"So, what've you two been up to?" the party girl asked wrapping her arms around the two.

"Practicing for the Hip Hop competition, of course." Spike reminded her.

"Oh, right. How's that going?" Pinkie asked.

"Very well," Vinyl began, "Spike's getting his groove to its peak, and I think by Saturday he'll be more than prepared."

"I can believe that," Pinkie smiled, and noogied Spike, "We'll all be ready to watch Spike in action!"

"Ok, ok, Pinkie! The hair!" Spike called, as she released him.

"Sorry." she smiled sheepishly.

"It's ok." he answered.

"Well, I better get back to work. See you tomorrow." Pinkie said, as she went back to help the Cakes. After they finished the pie, they paid and headed back to their places.

Spike entered his apartment, stretching. Twilight seeing him enter spoke, "How'd practice go today?"

"Couldn't have been better. Of course Vinyl had to perfect a good beat for me to work with, but it wasn't that hard." he admitted.

"That's good. Just don't overdo it or your feet will fall off." she joked.

"Har-har." Spike sarcastically laughed, before heading for his room.

He plopped onto his bed to relax, "Only a few days before the competition this weekend. Hope I'll really be prepared for it. Well with Vinyl helping me, I know I can make it." he smiled to himself.

Over the next few days, after school Spike had practiced with the rest of the club, and stayed behind an extra hour or so with Vinyl so they could help each other. When Spike got home he made sure to get his homework done before dinner, leaving him plenty of free time to relax.

Before he knew it, it was Saturday night. At C.H.S, everyone was inside the cafeteria that was cleared of many tables to give the competitors some dancing space. Celestia, Luna, and more of the faculty sat with the principal of the rival school, while others were set up to be judges, and next to the judges was Vinyl standing at her turntable.

On one of the cafeteria was the Hip Hop club from C.H.S, and on the other side was the club from the Northwestern school. The audience watched from a good distance. Among the audience included the girls, Muse, Wild, Spike's friends, even his parents, Shining, Cadence, and Neira. Celestia stood up and spoke into a mic, "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to C.H.S's annual end of the year hip hop competition." she began and the audience cheered.

"Our students from both school's clubs have worked hard this last week, and now we shall see the fruits of their labor," she continued, "Each team will have five contestants represent them for each match. The team with the highest score wins. And now let the dances begin!" the crowds cheered again.

Twistin turned to his club members, "All right, guys this it. There's no backing down now. I want you to know no matter what happens here, I couldn't be more proud of each of you. So let's go out there and show them what we're made of!"

"Right!" they agreed.

And so the competition began, as one competitor from each side stepped up they each showed off their stuff. Vinyl played a beat on the turntable. Once each competitor got the chance to show off their skill, the judges held up a score card determining which one the round. Spike watched as each competitor took their turn to show off their stuff. As he watched each of the opposing school's club members show off their stuff he started developing butterflies in his stomach.

As the fourth match began, Spike spoke to Twistin', "Twistin', I gotta step away. Call of nature."

"Ok, but make it quick, because you're up next." Twistin' replied.

"Right." Spike said as he hurried off, while the girls watched in confusion.

When the fourth match ended the score was all tied up. After the final competitor from the opposing school approached, Principal Celestia called up, "And now representing C.H.S, Spike!" they all cheered, but saw Spike wasn't there, "Uh, Spike?"

The girls saw Spike wasn't back yet, which made them worried. Twistin' not wanting his buddy to be disqualified spoke up, "It's all ok, Principal Celestia. Spike's just in the john. I'll go get him."

"Well be back here soon. Because is Spike doesn't show up in ten minutes you will be forced to forfeit the competition to them." She warned him.

"Yes, ma'am!" Twistin' rushed out of the cafeteria, with the girls following.

They went to the restroom outside the cafeteria, but Twistin' stopped the girls before they could follow him further, "Whoa, girls. Sorry but this place is off limits to you."

"He's right." Rarity agreed.

"Don't worry I'll talk to Spike." Twistin' assured them.

"Well ya better make it quick." Applejack said, and Twistin' nodded before entering.

He looked around the men's facilities seeing no sign of Spike but knew he had to be in a stall. He saw his legs at the bottom of one and knocked on it, "Spike! Come on, Spike, get out of there!"

"I'm really busy." he answered.

"I'll bet you are," the older boy answered in skepticism, "Spike come on out so we can talk."

"Twistin', I can't do it!" he cried from inside the stall.

"What do you mean can't do it?"

"I can't go through with my match. I don't stand a chance against any of those guys!"

"Spike, this is no time to get cold feet."

"I can't help it. Sorry, but I just can't bring myself to do it!"

Twistin' sighed, "Spike, come out so I can talk to your face," The stall door opened, and Spike stepped out, "That's more like it. Now listen, it's all right to feel nervous, but you can't let it get the best of you. I've secretly watched you every day this week practicing with Vinyl. When I watched you I felt as if I was watching you go from a boy and into a man. You've proven you were capable of seeing it through juts like the rest of us. Now I didn't bring you into the Hip Hop club for you to suddenly turn into a coward."

"I know." he answered, feeling ashamed.

"When I first met you at the start of the year, I could tell you had talent. I wanted you to show that talent to the school, and make an image for yourself. If you back out of this now, no one in the school is going to let you live it down. I have faith you can do this Spike. We all do."

"But what if I lose?"

"At least you did it trying instead of chickening out. So come on, for all of us, and future members who will join our glorious club?" he pleaded.

Spike after hearing Twistin's speech had his confidence restored, "All right!"

"That's my buddy!" they fist bumped, "Let's go!" they exited the restroom.

The girls seeing Spike looking pumped made them look relieved, as they headed back to the cafeteria. With a minute to spare, Spike arrived, "Hey, sorry I'm late. I had personal business." the girls chuckled.

"Well next time try not to cut it too close." Vice Principal Luna stated.

"Right." Spike answered sheepishly.

And so Spike's opponent took his turn, and after Vinyl finished the beat for him, his score was tallied up receiving three nine's and two eights making his total forty three. After his opponent stepped off the spot, Spike took a position. He looked at Vinyl who gave him a nod of confidence and he smiled.

When Vinyl started up a beat for Spike, he slowly let the music flow through him like a river as if guiding his every move. He started busting it out and breaking it down for the judges and the audience. As he danced the opponents from the other school watched feeling impressed by his moves, while the judges themselves looked intrigued as well.

Eventually Vinyl finished her beat and Spike who was break dancing jumped to his feet and struck a pose. The audience cheered and whistled with Twilight, her friends, and Spike's pals cheering for him the loudest. Spike smiled and walked back over to his team, while they waited for the judges to tally his score. Finally the five judges revealed their individual scores which was two eights, two nines, and a ten giving him a total of forty four points.

Seeing his score was higher than his opponents, Spike's fellow club members cheered him on his success, before they were silenced by Principal Celestia, "Well the votes have been tallied, everyone. And this years winner of the Hip Hop Club competition is... Canterlot High!"

The audience cheered, as the two teams approached each other with each member facing their opponent. They each shook on it for good sportsmanship before taking their place at their spot. Soon the winning team stood before Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna, as they held a trophy, "Congratulations to all of you. You performed magnificently. You deserved this victory." the principal said.

"It was a team effort, Principal Celestia." Twistin' replied as he held Spike close. The club stood together holding the trophy, as Photo Finish took a picture of them which would be set up with the trophy in the display case.

As everyone was clearing out, Spike was bombarded by everyone, "Spike, you did it!" Twilight hugged him.

"Congrats, bro!" Shining said, while patting his shoulder.

"We knew you could do it." Cadence agreed, as she and Neira hugged him.

"Bravo, son. Bravo." Twilight Velvet congratulated him.

"You made your club proud, son." Night Light congratulated him.

"You were awesome to the core!" Rainbow cheered.

"We knew ya could do it." Applejack smiled.

"You were super!' Pinkie cheered.

"You were wonderful!" Rarity kissed him.

"Congrats." Fluttershy smiled.

"You rocked out there, man!" Puck cheered, as he and featherweight bombarded him with pats.

Vinyl came out, "Way to go, Spike. I knew you could do it!"

"I didn't do it alone, I had help from you, Twistin' and everyone else who supported me." Spike admitted.

"Well Twistin' wanted me to tell you the club's going out for pizza. You wanna join us?" she asked.

Spike looked over at his friends, and family, as Twilight spoke, "Go on, Spike. You've earned it." his parents nodded in agreement.

"All right. I'll see you at home." Spike said, as he ran off with Vinyl to join the rest of the Hip Hop club to celebrate their victory.