• Published 22nd Nov 2013
  • 9,178 Views, 121 Comments

Freshman Blues - Wildcard25



Spike has begun high school and hopes he'll fit in before the high school world eats him alive

  • ...
16
 121
 9,178

Be my Valentine

It was Valentines Day at Canterlot High, and through the halls were most of the students asking another to be their valentine. Spike walked through the halls, "I wonder if I should ask Rarity at lunch? Oh maybe it should be private? Yeah that's better. I wouldn't want to make a scene in front of her." he said to himself as he went to class.

As he sat through class, Puck who was next to him whispered, "So when are ya going to ask Rarity?"

"After school. I don't wanna make a whole scene around here." Spike answered.

"Good plan, just in case she says no," Puck noted, only for Spike to scowl at him, "Not that she will."

"What about you and Silver?" Spike inquired.

"Next period before class starts." his hockey loving friend answered.

"Good luck with that." Spike answered.

"Same to you." Puck replied.

After their class they had a class apart and moved onto phys ed. Spike met up with Puck in the locker room, and Spike asked, "So what'd Silver say?"

Puck looked sheepish, "She told me to get bent."

"Ouch." Spike cringed.

"I know. It struck a massive blow." Puck added.

"Well at least ya tried." Spike comforted him.

"Hey I may have been shot down, but I'm not out yet." Puck replied, not looking dismal.

"Wait you mean you're still going to?"

"That's right. I haven't given up yet." Puck answered.

"You're sure persistent." Spike admitted.

"I know." Puck nodded as they went to join the rest of class in phys ed.

As they were doing their exercises, Spike saw through the gymnasium doors was Rarity walking with Twilight and Pinkie Pie, "Rarity." Spike swooned. Suddenly the sound of a whistle rang in his ear, snapping him out of it.

At his side was Coach Iron Will, "Is there something you got on your mind, cadet Spike?" he asked roughly.

"No coach. Nothing at all!" Spike answered quickly for fear of what may follow.

"Good," Iron Will smirked, "Then you can drop and give Coach Iron Will twenty, soldier!"

Spike cringed, before sighing, "Yes coach." he got down and started his push ups.

After a few exercises later, the two headed for the cafeteria. They took a spot at a table, until Featherweight came over with Sweetie Belle, "Guys guess what? Sweetie Belle agreed to be my valentine!"

Spike and Puck looked flabbergasted, "Really?" they asked.

"Oh yeah." Featherweight answered, as Sweetie laid her head against his shoulder.

"Congrats you guys. I'm happy for ya." Puck said as he high fived Featherweight, with Spike doing the same.

"Thanks guys." he replied.

"So have you two picked anybody yet, or rather have you, Puck?" Sweetie asked.

"Why ask only me?" Puck asked in confusion.

"Because I already know Spike's heart belongs to my sister." Sweetie smiled, earning a blush out of Spike.

"Sweetie, please not so loud." Spike pleaded.

"Sorry. So did you ask her yet?" she wondered with hope.

"Not yet." Spike answered with a sigh.

"Well you better ask soon, because many of the male students have been asking her already." Sweetie warned him.

"What?" Spike asked in shock.

"Yeah, but she keeps turning them down. Maybe she's holding out for you?" Sweetie suggested.

"I'd wish." Spike replied with doubt.

"Hey you haven't even asked yet." Puck reminded him.

"After hearing Rarity get asked by every male student, I might push her buttons if I ask her now." Spike said in worry.

"Hey you'll never know until you try." Featherweight encouraged him.

Spike looked up at the three with renewed hope, "Yeah. You're right guys."

Sweetie looked back at Puck, "So what about you, Puck?"

"Well Silverspoon told me to get bent." he answered.

"Why am I not surprised?" Sweetie asked in sarcasm.

"But he hasn't thrown in the towel." Spike noted.

"You haven't, Puck?" Featherweight asked.

"Not on your life," he answered, "I'll make her my valentine even if it takes me all day."

"You should watch what you say." Sweetie warned him.

"Hey guys!" a voice called as they saw Rainbow Dash, and the girls, minus Rarity with them.

"Hi girls." Spike and his boys greeted them.

"How're yall doing?" Applejack asked.

"Doing great, A.J." Spike answered.

"Good, because we got something for ya." Pinkie cheered as she, Twilight, Applejack, Rainbow, and Fluttershy each gave Spike a valentines day card.

"Happy Valentines day, Spike." they smiled.

"Wow, thanks girls," Spike said as he blushed before noticing their group was short one member, "Hey where's Rarity?"

"She's dodging her fan mob wishing to make her their valentine." Twilight explained.

"Poor girl." Spike sighed knowing it must be rougher on her than it is for him wanting to ask her.

"So how're you bachelors doing?" Rainbow smirked as the three boys.

"Well Sweetie Belle's become my valentine, and Puck got shot down." Featherweight answered.

"Who did you ask?" Fluttershy asked Puck.

"Silverspoon." he answered.

"Well being shot down like that sounds expecting from asking such a girl like her," Applejack stated, "Applebloom tells me every day the kind of stuff she and Diamond Tiara say to others around the school."

"That's why I was hoping to break that habit with her," Puck answered, "But I'm not giving up so easily."

"You're still gonna try?" Twilight asked in surprise.

"Of course. The day is still young." Puck smiled with pride.

"Well good luck, partner." Applejack replied.

"You'll need it." Rainbow put in, before the girls left.

And so the group continued with lunch, until it was back to class. Spike walked through the halls wondering what to do next, until a voice called, "Hey, Spike! There you are."

Spike looked behind, and saw Vinyl running over to him, "Oh hey Vinyl, what's up?"

"I'm glad I found you. I wanted to give you this before I had to get to my next period," Vinyl began as she pulled out a valentines day card, "Happy Valentines day, Spike."

Spike was surprised, and accepted the card, "Wow. Thanks, Vinyl. And here," he handed her a card as well, "Happy Valentines day."

"Thanks," she accepted it, "Did you get any for the others?"

"I gave mine to Twilight's this morning, and left each of the others girls one in their lockers." he answered before looking depressed.

"What's got ya down?" Vinyl asked.

"Well I haven't been able to asked the one girl in school who I want to be my valentine yet." he answered.

"Oh I see," Vinyl smiled knowing what he meant, "Well don't give up. I'm sure if you just ask with confidence you'll get the answer you wish."

"That'd be nice." Spike admitted.

"Well I better get to class. Catch you later." Vinyl said with a wink, as she and Spike parted ways.

Later on the school was clearing out, as the students were taking their leave. Spike left the building looking dismal. He hadn't been able to catch Rarity at all through the halls, and felt she quickly split before more of the male student body could ask her. He reached the bottom of the stairs and spoke to himself, "Maybe I should call her." he was prepared to grab his cellphone, only to get pulled aside and behind the stairs. When he saw who did it, he was shocked to see it was Rarity, "Rarity?"

"Shh," Rarity shushed him before looking around seeing no one spotted them, "You wouldn't believe the mob I've had to dodge all day."

"I can only imagine." Spike answered, having a very good idea.

"But I'm glad I caught you, Spike." Rarity said in relief.

"You are?" Spike asked curiously.

"Yes. I've been wanting to see you all day, but as you've been aware I've had my hands full," she continued, "I wanted to give you this," she held out a valentines day card for him, "Happy Valentines day, Spike."

"Rarity," Spike gasped as he accepted the card, and remembered, "Oh that's right," he reached into his backpack and pulled out one as well, "Happy Valentines day, Rarity."

"Oh Spike, thank you." Rarity said as she accepted the card.

"And listen, Rarity," Spike began acting nervous, "I know you've probably have had enough of this for the day, but I just want to ask you something."

"Yes?" she asked.

"Rarity, would you be... my valentine?!" he asked finally getting the words out.

Rarity blushed and saw how Spike confessed to her. Most of the other boys in school just tried hitting on her like they were tough and macho, as if they were trying to make an impression on her. But hearing Spike just ask her normally like a person instead of trying to be all cool about it, touched her heart, "Oh Spike, I... I would love to be your valentine."

"Really?" Spike gasped in surprise at her answer.

He suddenly received a warm embrace by the object of his affection, who whispered into his ear, "Really."

Spike blushed as he smiled seeing his mission was a success, but new it didn't end there, "Well in that case, you wanna grab a milkshake with me at Sugarcube Corner?"

"I'd be delighted, Spike." Rarity answered with a bright smile.

"Then shall we go?" Spike asked.

"Let's." Rarity nodded as the two walked off together.

Soon enough the two were at Sugarcube Corner, where Rarity was sitting at a table, while Spike was at the counter getting their milkshake. Mr. Cake handed him a milkshake with extra whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles, "Here ya go, Spike."

"Thanks, Mr. Cake." Spike answered as he paid for it.

"You enjoy it with your lady friend now." Mr. Cake nudged and winked at the young man.

"I will," Spike nodded, with a blush. He went back to his table and smiled at Rarity, "Here we are."

"Oh my. It looks so delicious, Spike." Rarity gasped.

"I know." Spike smiled as they each took a straw and drank from it. After they got a majority of it, they each started feeding each other spoonfuls of the cream with the bits of sprinkles.

"Mm, this is good." Rarity smiled brightly.

"I know." Spike agreed.

"I'm glad you asked me out here, Spike." Rarity said.

"Well I'm glad you accepted." Spike answered.

"Why wouldn't I? After all you got something, that the other boys at Canterlot high don't have." she explained.

"What's that?" Spike asked in interest, but suddenly found Rarity playing with this face.

"Your cutest little chubby cheeks!" she cooed at him, until she let go and Spike rubbed his face.

"Is that all?" he asked dryly.

"Of course not, darling," she continued, "You also happen to be one of the sweetest and nicest boys ever. Why I can't even imagine how I'd be if I never met you."

"Really?" Spike asked.

"Yes. I'm so lucky I met you last year." Rarity smiled.

"I'm the real lucky one, Rarity." Spike answered as they gazed at each other.

"Hey lovebirds!" a voice spoke up as they jumped and looked seeing Puck watching them, with a girl at his side. The girl had violet eyes, and grayish hair done up in a braid. She wore teal glasses, a teal pearl necklace, a purple and pink dress with the blouse purple and the skirt pink. The blouse had a silver spoon insignia on it, and finishing the ensemble were healed boots with a teal colored bow on each of them. She was Silverspoon, the girl who Puck was trying to win the heart of all day.

"Hey, Puck," Spike greeted him, and saw who he was with, "Uh hi, Silverspoon."

"Hello, Spike. Rarity." Silverspoon greeted.

"Well don't you two look happy?" Rarity teased, while Silverspoon blushed, and Puck smiled.

"Puck, you actually?" Spike asked in shock.

"Uh-huh." Puck nodded in confirmation.

"How?" Spike questioned his friend.

"I've been helping her out with some errands when classes ended. She was so grateful to me she agreed to be my valentine." Puck said feeling smug.

Silverspoon turned to him and began ranting in denial while blushing, "Don't act all smug, hockey boy. I was just repaying your favor by agreeing to be your valentine. Nothing more." she denied it.

"Keep talking." Puck smirked, resulting in Silverspoon to huff before pouting at his teasing.

"Well we hope you two have a wonderful Valentines day as me and Spike are." Rarity hoped.

"We can tell you two are," Puck turned to Spike, "Congrats man, I knew you could do it." the two fist pounded.

"Thanks, man." Spike thanked him.

"Well come on Silver, let's get us some ice cream," Puck suggested, "And after we can catch a movie. My treat."

"Your treat?" Silver asked in surprise.

"Of course." he smirked knowing how to get the girl to follow along with him.

"Well thanks." she blushed while trying not to make eye contact.

So the two left Spike and Rarity to themselves once again, "Don't they make a cute couple, Spike?" Rarity asked him.

"You know, they actually do," Spike admitted while thinking to himself, 'I wonder if she'll just be his valentine or something more?' he pondered. He was suddenly brought out of his thoughts when he realized Rarity leaning over the table close to his face, "Oh, Rarity."

"Yes?" she asked while smiling and batting her eyelashes.

"You look..." Spike blushed, "Really pretty."

"Why thank you, cutie. And you look handsome." she replied.

"What, really?" he asked being modest.

"Of course. You always have, and guarantee you always will be." Rarity finished before she leaned in making her lips connect with Spike's. The two kissed passionately, while savoring every moment.

When they parted, the two smiled at each other as Spike spoke, "Happy Valentines day, Rarity."

"Happy Valentines day, my love." Rarity smiled back at him.

Watching from the shop window were Twilight, Pinkie, Rainbow, Fluttershy, and Applejack, "Awe!" they said collectively.