• Published 25th Nov 2013
  • 5,713 Views, 187 Comments

The Heroes of Olympus: The Other End of the Pit - Surprise Pie



At the end of Rick Riordan's The Heroes of Olympus, Book 3: The Mark of Athena, Percy and Annabeth confronted their fate and dropped down to Tartarus to shut the Doors of Death from the inside, but what if they accidentally crossed the line?

  • ...
15
 187
 5,713

Chapter 7 - A mutant pony princess helps us plan a war. -Percy

So at first, I thought that Annabeth and I got suckered into an episode of the show, maybe the Season 4 finale considering the fact that there might actually be a story here. And then Luna told Twilight and I about this "Lost Princess of Lightning" and I thought, OK either a non-cannon new movie or a lead-on to Season 5? And now, this Princess of Lighting actually shows up, and she's got Draconnequs bits all over her. I guess she got that DNA project done and could use Chaos magic or whatever. Anyway now I'm almost certain that we got sucked right into a piece of fan fiction.

Now don't get me wrong, a fifth princess is awesome, and kinda sad too, considering Luna and Celestia thought she'd been dead for the past two thousand years, but hey, now there are five Princesses guarding Equestria. There's no way the changelings Chrysalis is gonna sic on us are gonna win.

Everypony room stared at Princess Jetstream as she returned to her regular Alicorn from, and took up the empty seat in between Celestia and Discord. Twilight was the first to snap out of it, and she said:

"It's nice to see you again, Princess Jetstream." The sky blue Alicorn nodded in response.

Wait... what? See her again? Twilight was hiding something, and I'd have to ask her after the meeting.

Twilight continued:

"Princess Celestia, what was the first thing you wanted to go over in this meeting?"

"If I may, Princess Twilight, I'd like to propose the first order of business." Jetstream interrupted. "I propose that we discuss the terms of the Pony-Changeling Treaty that was written some time ago, and that needs revising."

Cadence cleared her throat.

"How do you know about this treaty, Princess Jetstream?" the Love Princess asked, a hint of disbelief in her eyes.

"Not only do I know of the treaty, Princess Cadence, it was I, along with High-Queen Dianthia, who wrote and signed that agreement two thousand years ago, just as I was about to leave the Hidden Hive after my five month stay." the Lightning Princess replied. Turning her attention towards the Changeling Queens she added: "As I can clearly see, my disappearance obviously caused the Treaty to not be followed. Here we are, at the edge of an imminent conflict with the very race I was trying to befriend. I've been watching Equestria evolve for nineteen hundred years, and I must say things are going well, despite a few holes in the system."

A wisp of green flame flared in front of Jetstream, and a large scroll appeared in the fire. A silver aura took hold of the scroll and unrolled it. The Alicorn cleared her throat and began reading:

"Royal Lightning Decree No. 1: The Pony-Changeling Treaty.

It is hereby decreed, signed, and agreed upon by the following individuals, Jetstream Shimmersky, Princess of Lightning, and Dianthia, High-Queen of the Changelings, that the following Treaty is to be included in Equestrian Law and in Changeling Law. The Treaty will hold the conditions of the new alliance between the Changeling Nation and Equestria.


Article 1: Immigration and Citizenry

1.1 Changelings who wish to live in Equestria among Ponies will register at the Bureau of Changeling Affairs, in Canterlot. Information they must submit will include:

-Changeling name

-Pony identity name

-Hive of birth

-Pony type

-Pony cutie mark

-Distinguishing features in both forms, for easy recognition

1.2 Ponies who wish to live in the Changeling Nation among Changelings will register at the Bureau of Changeling Affairs, in Canterlot.

1.3 A new law will be established on both sides denying Changelings the right to disguise themselves as existing ponies, unless consent is given by the pony being disguised as.

1.3.1 A tracking spell will be placed on registered Changelings to enforce this law.

1.4 All Ponies and Changelings on either side will be given equal rights in accordance to the Equestrian Charter of Rights.

Article 2: Royalty and Authority

2.1 Citizens of both sides will answer directly to the Three Alicorn Princesses and to the High-Queen of Changelings.

2.1.1 If part of a hive other than the High Queen's, they will also answer to that hive's Queen.

2.1.2 In times of war, the authority of each Queen and Princess will be acknowledged, regardless of hive.

2.1.3 The High Queen and the Princesses' authority outranks that of the other Queens. If given an order by the Queen of one's own hive, only the High Queen or an Alicorn Princess can order otherwise.

2.2 Positions will be made in the Royal Guards of Day, Night, and Lighting for Changelings to occupy. Courses will also be offered for all guards on Changeling recognition.

2.2.1 Positions will also be made so that Ponies may also apply for Hive Guard.

Article 3: War times and Treaty Breach conditions

3.1 In the event of a war, each side is obligated to come to the aid of the other.

3.1.1 This applies only if either side is attacked by an external force.

3.1.2 If one side chooses to attack another country, the the other side reserves the right to assume neutrality.

3.2 In the event of a civil war, the side at peace has the the right to assume neutrality, or to come to the aid of either end of the conflict.

3.2.1 If the civil war is in between two separate Hives, Equestria has the right to decline involvement. Non-involved Hives also reserve this right.

3.3 If either side attacks the other, the Treaty is void until conflicts are resolved. Summits will be made to enable negotiations and diplomacy as necessary.

3.3.1 If less than all six hives are responsible for attacking Equestria, the pacific hives will remain in the Treaty, as will Equestria.

3.3.2 If only one hive is responsible, that hive will be isolated and one of the following options may be put to use:

- Dissolve the hive and divide any pacific inhabitants among the five remaining hives, and Equestria. The offending Queen will be executed for treason.

- Apprehend the Queen of the offending Hive, disowning her of her position and helping in the upbringing of a replacement. The Princess of Lighting, seventh Queen of Changelings, will serve as interim Queen for the offending Hive until a replacement is found.

3.3.3 If the offending Queen is the High-Queen, Article 2 will be void, and proceedings will go according to Article 3, section 3.3.2.

Jetstream paused to let the information sink in, passing the Treaty around for everyone to read it themselves, then she continued:

"I suggest revisions in a few choice areas, such as changing Three Alicorn Princesses to Five Guardian Alicorns."


Twilight cleared her throat, and asked Jetstream:

"Princess Jetstream, if I may, would the term "Guardian Alicorn" refer to all Alicorns living in Equestria, be they royalty or not?"

"An excellent question, Princess Twilight. The answer is yes, all Alicorns, if there were any others, would be included in this, why do you ask?"

"Because in that case, I suggest putting not five, but six Alicorn Guardians." Twilight simply said.

"Wait... what?" I butted in, "Six Alicorns? Celestia, Luna, Cadence, Twilight, Jetstream. That's five, so who's the sixth?"

Jetstream nodded. "I would like to hear this as well, Princess Twilight. Please, do elaborate."

"Oh she's just a filly, but yes, six. The sixth Alicorn is my adoptive daughter, Nyx. She's the reincarnation of the spirit of Nightmare Moon, who decided to take the shape of an eight-year-old filly after we showed her the truth of the world. She gave up on being evil, even if she's still very powerful." Twilight explained.

Oh gods. Nyx? From that one fan fiction I read? I'm definitely in the middle of some crazy fan story, and I'm loving every second of it.

"Very well." said Jetstream, marking the paper with a quill she summoned. "Anything else?"

Cadence spoke up: "Is there any way you could incorporate the Crystal Empire in the treaty? My husband and I ruled there for a little over a year, helping them establish a proper government, and surely they'd be glad to be a part of this."

Jetstream didn't take long to think about it, because her answer came only a few dozen seconds later.

"It can be arranged. I'll make the according modifications to include the Crystal Ponies in the Treaty, but you, Princess Cadence, must be the one to bring this to their attention. Out of everypony in this room, it is you who has the best chance to convince them." The pink Alicorn nodded in agreement.

Celestia stood up, gaining everypony's attention.

"Now that the Treaty matters are settled, we must chose a course of action. Chrysalis has threatened Equestria once again, and according to her threats, she's not alone this time. Discord, you've been a spy for us for some time now, care to give us the details?"

The draconnequs cleared his throat and started talking:

"As far as I can tell, Chrysalis made friends with some pretty evil individuals. Her army's got all kinds of monsters straight out of Tartarus at her command, and she's been talking to herself an awful lot lately. The weirdest part is that whenever she talks to herself, her voice is completely different at times."

"Do elaborate, Discord." pressed Jetstream.

"Why, my dearest Jetstream, would I speak when I can show?" Discord snapped his fingers and an image of Chrysalis appeared on the table. The image came to life and started pacing, when it finally said:

"Why do we delay like this, Dark One? My army is ready and so am I, and my colleagues have abandoned me! It's time to make our move!"

"No. We must wait, for a new ally comes our way. He hails from another world. In his world, he was a powerful being, defeated by trickery, and foiled in his attempts to return to power." replied a deeper voice. It sounded vaguely familiar.

The weirdest part was that it was still the Queen talking, only, with a different voice.

The image faded and Discord added:

"See what I mean?"

Luna nodded, and said:

"'Tis a voice I've not in a thousand years. The evil that seemed to emanate from that voice... It can only come from one unicorn: King Sombra."

Rainbow edged forward, and said:

"Sombra? But didn't we beat him when Spike retrieved the Crystal Heart?"

"Not exactly. All we really did was drive him back. If anything I'm guessing his spirit wandered the frozen wastelands for some time, before coming across Chrysalis." replied Shining Armor.

"And if my guess is correct, they've joined together. This makes Chrysalis even more of a threat. Her power was already enough to defeat most ponies, and with enough love energy, she defeated Celestia. With Sombra's power, she'll be unstoppable." added Cadence.

"Not quite." said Jetstream.

For the first time, Dianthia spoke. Her voice was a lot like Chrysalis' as I heard from the show, only it was calmer, less evil and much more wise.

"I've studied you for five months, Princess Jetstream, and still, I cannot read you. What is in you mind that makes you think we could best Chrysalis now that Sombra has added his power to hers?"

I had to agree. Both Sombra and Chrysalis were powerful on their own, and now that they've fused together, I don't see how we could possibly take them down.

"You forget, Queen Dianthia, that I've not been simply sitting and waiting for two thousand years." replied Jetstream.

"Yes, what HAVE you been doing for two millenia?" asked Luna, her curiosity plainly visible on her face.

"I spent the first two centuries in a transe-like state. As you know, Luna, I originally went into hiding to avoid Discord's wrath. I had to keep away from the chaos that was Equestria or else my new chaotic mind would overload, and I'd most likely end up doing the exact same thing as Discord. After about a week of waiting, I decided to have a look outside, to see if the Chaos had blown over. I was wrong, and that mistake almost killed me."

"Imagine a window breaking. Take that sound, and amplify it a thousandfold. Even then you have but a fraction of the intensity of the sound of your own mind cracking under the assault of a million chaotic thoughts flowing in all at once. I may have stood there for five minutes, unable to muster the force of will to look away. It was a rock falling from an upper edge of the mountain, hitting me in the head, that broke my concentration and allowed me to turn around, and every ounce of willpower to head back inside, lie down, and enter a catatonic sleep."

Ouch. I've felt pain before, but what Jetstream went through was infinitely more brutal that what I ever faced.

"Two centuries, that is what it took to sort out every last thought and clear my mind. Two centuries of fighting with my own consciousness to remain sane. After I awoke, I chose to explore my hiding spot further. I knew I couldn't return to rule, because the memory of Discord's attack was too fresh, even then. The people would not want another creature of chaos to rule them. Along the way, I also came to realize that returning would cause too much grief to Luna and Celestia, who thought me to be dead. It was then that I chose to make that crystal cavern my home."

"As I explored the cavern, I came to discover that it was no vulgar cave, but an entire underground palace. It was the library that stunned me the most. I made the discovery of an ancient language that was spoken thousands of years ago. The Ancient Language of An-Anshar, the land of Creation. It is rumored that this language was spoken by Mother Faust herself as she created all that existed. Any word in the language contains a certain power, the power of control over whatever the word designates. Brisingr, for example, means fire. It's not just a word for fire, it's the word for fire. It is also impossible to lie in this language, trying stops the words dead in their tracks before you can utter them. I discovered a hidden branch of magic associated with the language: Divine Magic."

Divine magic? So a godly power? This was getting interesting, but something nagged at my mind, how could I be sure she was telling the truth? Rainbow obviously thought the same, because she asked:

"How do I know you're not making this up? With all due respect, Princess, I've only just now found out you even existed, so what other things could you be hiding from us? I'm sorry but I don't trust you yet. Give us proof that we can put our lives in your hooves."

"Element of Loyalty, my personal favorite. I can definitely provide you with some proof." Jetstream replied. Then she looked at Twilight and said something in a language I couldn't understand. The words spilled out of her mouth and had a musical effect to them. Twilight's response in the very same language was what shocked everypony the most. Then Twilight turned to the rest of us and said:

"I can vouch for Princess Jetstream. We can trust her, she has sworn her good intentions in the Ancient Language."

The assembly sat quietly for a minute, before Jetstream continued:

"If one masters at least seven of the eight types of mortal magic, they can use the language in conjunction with a flow of magic to manipulate their surroundings. As it happens, I can do just that."

I cleared my throat, and asked:

"Sorry to interrupt, Princess, but what do you mean by "8 types of mortal magic"?"

"The answer is simple. There are eight types of magic that mortal creatures can make use of: Unicorn, Pegasus, Earth Pony, Alicorn, Changeling, Chaos, Harmony, and Shadow. I master all but the last one. Due to my forced Draconnequs nature, my constitution is incompatible with Shadow Magic. A small fix I made later made me able to use it, but only if I absorbed some first."

"How can you absorb magic?" asked Annabeth.

"A few centuries ago, I found a rather interesting spell that would turn my skeleton into a special kind of crystal. The crystal cannot be broken, and any magic that is directed towards me is absorbed by the crystal, storing it's power for later use. If touched by a type of magic I'd never used, I would become able to use it, Shadow Magic being the exception. In that particular case, I can only use as much Shadow Magic as I've absorbed. I became capable of Harmony Magic only just recently, despite the fact that I was the one who discovered it thousands of years ago, upon finding the Tree of Harmony."

She discovered the Elements of Harmony?

"What enabled you to use the power of Harmony?" asked Celestia.

"After the Elements, here present, turned Discord back to stone, I sought to continue my healing work on his mind. My goal was to restore him to what he was before he attacked the first time. Our minds were so intimately linked that we at times melded and couldn't tell who's mind belonged to whom. We were in the middle of one such bond when the Elements freed him, though luckily I was almost done restoring his mind. The power of the Elements surged through the mental link and I was able to absorb it, becoming capable of Harmony Magic in the process."

Jetstream shook her head.

"We're getting off-topic here. What I mean to say is, that with the power of Divine Magic, I can help put a stop to Chrysalis and Sombra, and even be more than a match for them. It is their "ally from another world" that worries me, however. As of late, I've been sensing an immense power rising from Tartarus, subduing the monsters that live there. It has a power signature I cannot place, but it reminds me a little of Percy and Annabeth here, in the sense of where it came from."

I thought about it for a second, then said:

"I can think of a few things that this ally of theirs could be. And all of them incredibly powerful and dangerous. Either some of the oldest, most powerful monsters in Tartarus, our Tartarus that is, or a Titan. I've foiled plenty of Titans a few years back, but the only one who doesn't have a body was Kronos. If he's the one we're dealing with, we're gonna be in a LOT of trouble."

Both Annabeth and I shuddered at the memory of the Titan Lord. He'd caused so much evil during his time puppeteering Luke and plotting to destroy the gods. Dealing with him again, and especially when he'll have a personal vendetta with us for beating him, could mean BIG trouble.

"Considering what you told us about Kronos and the other Titans, than his presence in Equestria does not bode well for the future. Even with Jetstream's Divine power, we will be hard-pressed to defeat the Titan Lord." said Luna.

There was a moment of silence, the air heavy with the tension of impending war, then Celestia broke it.

"Moving on, Discord, do you have any other information of note for us to plan upon?"

"I'm afraid that for the time being, no. I'll keep watching to make sure."

"Then I declare this meeting adjourned." said Luna. "There is much for me to do, despite the fact I'm supposed to be sleeping. Catching up with an old friend is one of those things." she added, looking at Jetstream, who resumed her Alicorn from in a green flash.

* * *

A few hours had gone by, and everypony at the meeting had just finished lunch. I turned to Twilight and asked her:

"You mentioned at the meeting that you had seen Jetstream before. What are you hiding?"

The lanvender Alicorn bit her lip and looked at the Princess of Lightning, who nodded before returning to her conversation with Luna and Cadence.

"I first met Jetstream at Cadence's wedding. She'd been captured along with Cadence and I found them both, along with Jetstream's daughter Screwball, laying there. Our first few minutes together were tense, but we set our differences aside and worked towards a finding a way out. Jetstream had withdrawn from the battle with the Changelings so she wouldn't attract attention to herself and alert Luna or Celestia to her being alive. After the wedding, she invited me to visit her underground crystal palace. It's as beautiful as she described it. I spent months of my spare time going to her library. She even lent me a copy of her translation guide, so I took it upon myself to learn the Ancient Language too. With Jetstream helping me out, I learned it pretty quick, though I still struggle in some aspects."

"Why do you call it the Ancient Language? Doesn't it have a name?" I asked.

It was Jetstream who spoke up with an answer.

"It does, but the name of the Language is unknown. I'm actually busy researching that very subject as of late. In between teaching my daughter the language and looking into it myself, I've not gotten much progress done. I believe that if I find the name of the Language, I'll be able to control it, just like any other Ancient Name for any other object. Does that answer your question?"

I nodded. Suddenly, the sound of hooves clattering on stone came from the hallway, along with a high-pitched giggle. Suddenly a black filly with a deep purple mane and sunglasses came bursting in the dining hall. I immediately noticed her horn and wings.

"Mom!" the filly squeaked, "You're back! When are we going home?"

Twilight smiled. "I still have a few things to take care of with the other Princesses, Nyx, but I promise we'll be back home by the end of the day. Why don't you run along and see Auntie Cadence?"

"Okay!" and she was gone.

I turned to Twilight, and opened my mouth to say something, but she interrupted me.

"Yes, that was my daughter, Nyx. She was staying at my parents’ place for the week to spend time with them. If you'll excuse me, I have to talk to Celestia about a few things."

Jetstream walked up to us and said:

"Would you mind if I brought my daughter to spend time with yours? Now that I'm making my return official I'll be in Ponyville a lot more, and they could be good friends."

Twilight smiled and nodded. "That sounds like an incredible idea! Let's go!" She stopped herself.

"Oh, and I should be congratulating Cadence and Shiny on their foal! So much to do, and so little time..." she added before hurrying off.

Even at the brink of war, Equestria would never stop surprising me.

Author's Note:

So I incorporated the concept of the Ancient Language from Eragon. Also I have next to no idea when I'll be releasing Chapter 8, which will be in Annabeth's perspective, because I've never really gave it any thought, so expect it to take a while.

Meanwhile Extra 2 will be in Screwball's perspective, with a fun day with Nyx and the CMCs in the works.

Anyway I wanted to remind you guys that Jetstream's immense power won't interfere very much with the story, so don't worry about the Mary Sue aspects of her character.

Also, what do you guys think of the Chrysalis/Sombra fusion idea? Or bringing back Kronos to the picture? Feedback and suggestions are welcome!