• Published 21st Nov 2013
  • 3,714 Views, 118 Comments

My Teacher Wild Horse - SoralTheSol



Twilight Sparkle managed to hatch the dragon egg as she was told, but the examiner was anything but happy. However she was saved by a mysterious stranger who has now become her teacher.

  • ...
5
 118
 3,714

My Teacher Wild Horse 7

Two Years Gone: Part 2

Dear Diary,

Let's see, where did I leave off. Oh right.

When we started our trip, I was not really all that certain of what to expect. For one Celestia was with us, instead of it just being Teacher and I. I also expected the entire trip to consist of nothing but me sparring against the two of them. I didn't mention that thought until we were outside of Canterlot and they asked why I was so nervous. The idea set them both laughing, though it was not harsh. Teacher explained that on this trip they were going to set the pace, and my goal was not to get left behind.

Celestia gave a small smile at me before saying the trip had begun. They then started running down the road. I was stunned for a moment before I remembered what I was just told and scrambled to catch up to the pair. The run was difficult. We didn’t stop for what felt like hours. Eventually we stopped for a break to have food. It was lunch time, and considering we set out around mid morning I was right about how long it felt. Soon I realized that this was going to be the pace of travel we would maintain for the entire training trip.

Run. Eat. Rest. Run. Eat. Rest. Oh Goddess it was terrible. If my legs didn’t feel like jelly then they were burning with exertion. Each step brought pain to the souls of my feet. Each mile felt like my stomach was going to eat itself. We kept this pace up for days before we managed to reach the first stop on the trip. As Celestia had said, we were visiting the various forts around the country. The nearest one to Canterlot was still a week’s travel away. We managed to reach it in four days.

It was an old fort, probably one of the first ones made in Equestria. It had stout stone walls, surrounded by wooden palisades. The walls had wide walkways and large crenulations to provide maneuverability and cover. It had a wonderful smell too. Sure there was the smell of sweat, horse, dung and other things. However we entered the fort as they were preparing for the evening meal. They had a good chef, or maybe I was just that hungry because I only really remember the cafeteria. Potatoes and gravy and buttered bread and roasted chicken. I ate until I was full and it was only after I was done that I noticed the odd looks I was getting. I had managed to clear several plates of food. More than any of the soldiers in the hall at the time. I wasn’t the only one though, The princess managed to pack away a few trays herself and neither of us matched Teacher.

If the food wasn’t nice enough we then got beds. Actual beds. Okay, they were cots, but still more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. I was asleep almost as soon as I laid down. I felt like I was in heaven for that night. Morning came too fast as unfortunately, considering the sun wasn’t even up yet. Celestia decided I should try keeping to her schedule.

That morning I sparred with Teacher and Celestia. It was the first time since we left Canterlot that I had done so. They were no longer holding themselves to just above my level. I had to work that much harder to dodge their attacks and land strikes. I was jumping over Teachers kicks as best as I could when I felt something telling me to dodge down. I don’t know what it was but a rolled back while in the air just in time to dodge a kick from Celestia. I landed on my back and rolled away from them both before kicking off of the ground to get back on my feet.

I took up my stance, my palm facing forward and arm extended. With a yell I sent out a blast of magic to knock them back and charged the Princess. Charging forward I leap to try and land a kick!

We left the fort after a couple of days. Hmm, the fight? Oh, that isn’t important. I did have a harder time keeping pace with my teachers this time because of the bruises though. Anyway, moving on now. The next fort took us two weeks to reach. This had more to do with a new training exercise they came up with. Since the next fort, Fort Shattered Hoof, was in the mountains they decided to take a seldom used path. So we spent two weeks of travel going up and down rocky outcroppings. It was exhausting, my hands had several blisters by the end of it.

Today we made it to the next fort on the list. I only have so much time to write so I am going to make this quick.

Fort Shatter Hoof focused on Archery instead of the normal spear combat, and the location of the fort made it all the stronger because of it. High in the mountains on the Equestrian border with Griffonia the terrain made it difficult to march an army through the few passes that were there. This also turned the enemy's troops into sitting ducks for the archers.

Shatter Hoof looked to be carved from the living stone of the mountainside itself, giving the fort a rather intimidating look. The guards were surprisingly friendly though. I get the feeling that visits to the fort were rather rare and they enjoyed what company they could get. My thoughts on the matter stalled when the fort commander came out and caught the princess in a bear hug. The princess was blushing slightly and trading jokes with the grey soldier. Apparently they were friends.

I did not learn any more about what was going on between the soldier and the princess however, because soon after, Teacher decided to test how well my ability to dodge has improved, by avoiding arrows. I remember looking at him in horror of the suggestion. Sadly he was serious and I was in the practice yard some time later with an archer taking shots at me while I dodged, blocked, and deflected them. First thing to know about avoiding arrows, dodge away from where the archers are aiming, not from where the arrows are flying. I was lucky that they were ball tipped, the little iron balls still hurt a lot.

Celestia announced that the next fort to inspect was a cloud fort. I was confused as to how I would explore a Wind-Whisperer only fort. I can’t walk on clouds.

There is a spell to walk on clouds. I never knew. I decided right then that I would learn that spell; Literally, Celestia said she was only casting it once; because clouds are amazing. They are so soft. I am making a cloud bed the first chance I get. So we arrived at Cloud Fort Thunder Break. Teacher found the name amusing and Celestia rolled her eyes at it.

You would think a Wind-Whisperer fort would focus on things like, ranged attack, arrows, spears. Nope, they are all sword users. Every last one of them. Though they do have these things, Teacher called them caltrops. Celetia calls them lightning beacons. They are jagged bits of metal that hook on clothing or boots, and they attract Wind-Whisperer lightning.

My time at the fort was spent sparring with multiple guards, Keeping the spell going on both myself and Teacher, and watching Teacher confuse the various guards with his strange floating combat style. I don’t think they ever met someone who could stay in the air that long without actual flight.

Oh right, this place was a milestone for me. I could fight off three groan guards at once. It was exhausting, and Celestia had me do it each day for the time we stayed at the fort.

Apparently we were halfway done with the tour. That Celestia had us on. Equestria only had a few major forts. But we were apparently heading to the WonderBolts camp next. I think this is a good stopping point.

This is Twilight

Until Next time.