• Published 20th Nov 2013
  • 629 Views, 5 Comments

TMS Side-Story: Treasured Sweetheart - TigerSwirl448



A TMS side story about Colonel Lyra Heartstrings and her duties in the Hoofington Royal Gaurd and her secret affair with an earth pony mare. (Set in the events of Ch. 11 & 12 in TMS Vol. 1)

  • ...
6
 5
 629

Treasured Sweetheart

Treasured Moon & Stars Side Story:

Treasured Sweetheart

By: TigerSwirl448

Edited by: Xhoral1865


The explosions were loud and heart rending as she ran through the decimated rock field. She kept running, ignoring the screams of pain and the cries for help. She leapt over the dead and dying, ignoring them as she reached the enemy changelings that were on the field. She roared, raising her rifle, the sharp, rusted bayonet at the end pointed at a changeling. The changeling smirked, his horn starting to glow. After a flash of light there was a pony whom the soldier thought she would never see again.

“You’re worthless bitch!” The pony snarled, causing the mare slide to a stop. She gasped, turning to realize the world around her started to slow to a stop. Her unicorn brothers and sisters were stuck in limbo with their changeling enemies. She could see spurts of floating blood, rocks, and sand in the air around her. She gasped, feeling herself rise up in the air as the world around her transformed into a hellish scene. She turned to see the ponies still there. But it wasn't the changeling anymore, it was him!

Don’t you ever stop that horrible music?

She gasped, staring at the ground to find herself in her old cabin in Canterlot. On the floor were bits and pieces of broken instruments; wooden fiddles, bent metal flutes and whistles, and worse of all, the strings of her beloved lyre were cut, and the old, golden lyre itself was bent and dented. She felt tears in her eyes.

No pony cares!

She sniffed, looking up seeing him standing there with a smirk on his face.

Then why did you want to be with me? She felt herself ask crying. The stallion just shrugged.

Well you clean up a good house and you can cook. Those words always stung her heart and spirit as she stared at the floor, watching her broken instruments disappear into the floor.

“No!” She begged, trying to save her valuable instruments before they disappeared forever. They were gone, and there was nothing that she could do. She remained on the floor, submissive to every order he gave her. Until the war.

He left, kissing her on the cheek, smiling at her as he knelt down hugging their three children. She continued to stare at the door as he ruffled her son’s mane and kissed her daughters. He didn’t even say sorry... or I love you. Not like before. She turned to the mirror next to her to see the black eye. She felt small hands grab her hands and hold on tight. She blinked, looking down to see her children... She screamed trying to pull her hands away from the three foals as they were burning before her eyes.

Mommy! Mommy! They screamed in faraway voices as she kicked the burning dolls away from her hands, feeling horrible burns. She blinked and gasped finding the cabin burning in flames.

“Kids?” She called out, running up the stairs as the fire ravaged the whole staircase. The staircase buckled and broke under her weight and she fell through the hole into darkness. As she continued to fall she could hear everything. The threats, the screams, the cries for help, it all came back to her as she screamed back trying to end it all.

Shut up!

A voice screamed as she turned seeing the rusted blade.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“GAH!” Lyra Heartstrings screamed out, sitting up in her sweat soaked bed clothes and bed sheets. She panted hard, looking at her scarred hands and arms. She placed her hands everywhere to feel every pain she had. Then she reached her hand to her face where she could feel the horrible scar that started at her temple and went down over her jaw. She took in another breath of air then let it out slowly. She turned to see her only window. She stood up out of bed then walked over to the window and pulled open the curtain to see the view of the docks.

“Good morning, Hoofington.” Lyra mumbled with disgust, already seeing the cyborg pirates leaving their ships to the city. She closed the curtain to get some privacy. She turned back to her tiny apartment to see her small cot, her desk with a chair, a small wood fire stove with a pot and kettle, then the small basin and towel for washing.

She sighed walking over to the water basin first and dunked a washcloth into the water then squeezed it out to wipe off her face of the sweat. Then she pulled off her flimsy stinky undershirt and tossed it to her bed. She used the wet rag to clean herself off, from neck to legs. Once that was done Lyra checked her short mane, and decided that it would last another week before she had to wash it again. She looked at herself in the mirror to see her whole body covered in scars; scars, sword scars, even laser scars. She looked down at her belly to find a scar from her navel to her lower groin. She rubbed the scar, closing her eyes feeling tears again. She heard a knock on the door causing her to turn.

“Colonel Heartstrings,” a mare’s voice said from outside. “You have a message from the Guard post. The young colt said it’s urgent that you read it.”

Lyra sighed, rubbing her face. “Just slip it under the door.” She barked before rubbing her face.

She turned seeing the white envelope slipped under her door and the mare’s shadow left. Lyra walked over to the door bending over to pick up the note. She flipped it to the back and gasped seeing that the letter was kept closed with blue wax and the Prince of Manehattan’s seal on the wax.

“Shit,” Lyra cursed as she walked over to her desk finding her letter opener and used it to crack the seal to unfold the letter.

Dearest comrade Colonel Heartstrings,

This is an important letter if you haven’t noticed my seal already. You have heard of the horrible demise of my dear brother and his family correct? Who hasn’t? Anyway, I am sending you this notice now. My personal guard and Captain of the Royal Guards of Canterlot has gotten a link to my brother’s family’s death. It turns out that Princess Octavia, my niece, is alive and was kidnapped by one of the escaped pirates from the ERS Cadenza.

This pony, whose name we do not yet know, is responsible for the death of the royal family and the foalnapping of the Princess and must be caught and taken care of. I want you to set up some screens and show all the riff raff in that station of yours this pony, Captain Lulamoon will take care of the rest. Keep a careful eye out Colonel, this unicorn is a tricky one and must be captured alive for questioning and then execution.

Until we meet with this unicorn in chains,

Prince Blueblood of Manehattan

Lyra sighed, rubbing her face as she placed the letter on the desk. It wasn't long ago that Lyra had heard of the death of Prince Tick Tock, his family, and the entire ship filled with royal guests and guards. To Lyra this was fishy; how could Blueblood escape death? Lyra never liked Blueblood and his kind, the royals of Canterlot. But of course she’s not allowed to think like this, or even question Blueblood’s escape. She’s a royal guard, trained and brainwashed to follow every order without hesitation. Of course that was a long time ago.

After the war Lyra was a broken hero, she fought Changelings and deserted unicorns. Then she was called to join the unicorns in the rebellion. Since she is still in the army she had to join the rebellion no matter how distasteful it was. Until one day she was called forth by the Unicorn High Command and for some reason she didn't remember anything after. Until one day she woke up and met Colonel Cloud Kicker. Cloud Kicker had told her to the whole truth of Lyra’s memory loss and the war crimes she unknowingly committed in the rebellion. After several months in rehabilitation and retraining, Lyra was then transported to Hoofington Space Station as a member of the Rebellion lead by Cloud Kicker herself. And since then Lyra had to play as a horrible, brainwashed, unicorn royal guard.

Lyra walked over to her closet and found her uniform hanging all nice and neat from the night before. She could see the white button up shirt. She found that first and pulled it on with a sigh, finding some blood stains on her sleeves. She sniffed, buttoning up the shirt. Once that was done, she grabbed her dark dirty pants and pulled those on next, tucking in her shirt. She reached for her red and white jacket and pulled it on over her shirt making sure it was buttoned up correctly. She grabbed her washrag and polished her golden buttons to make them shine.

Lyra turned to her mirror to look at herself, fixing her sleeves and cuff links. She glared at the mirror with a snarl. She lowered the snarl watching herself turn sad. She turned away bending over to grab her dirty black boots. She sat down on her chair and pulled on her boots. She sighed, rubbing her face, feeling her emotions on the fritz.

“Damn nightmare,” She hissed glaring at the mirror. “This is all your fault!” She growled, standing up pointing at her reflection. “If you weren’t such a pushover none of this would've happened!” She screamed, feeling tears finally cascade down her face. After a few moments of crying Lyra finally stood up, wiping her face with her sleeve. She looked at herself in the mirror again to find herself a complete mess.

“I need a drink.” She growled as she stood up, walking to the closet to grab a hanging belt off a hook. She took the belt strap and wrapped it around her waist. Then from the floor she picked up her holster with a laser pistol inside. She checked the charge to see that it was almost low. She found a metal bucket filled with completely charged chargers. She picked up three chargers and stuck them on her belt where she heard them snap onto magnets attached to her belt.

She checked herself out one last time before grabbing the letter and sticking it in her jacket then she found her black three corner hat and placed it on her head. She was ready for another day as Colonel Heartstrings, savage of the Hoof and the cruelest bitch in the galaxy.

“Here we go,” she whispered heading for the door. She gasped stopping with her hand on the knob. She turned back running to her desk and pulled out a drawer to find a folded up piece of stained paper and smiled. “Almost forgot this.” She said, sticking the note into her pants pocket then headed out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lyra marched through the filthy streets of Hoofington, glaring at anypony who dared to look her way. She would watch them flinch and either run or quickly look another direction. She never liked being the bad guy in this port city. Hoofington has already had its share of unnatural powers throughout it's existence. It started as a port to transport uranium that was found on the planet, which was nicknamed Asteroid Peak during the war because asteroids would get caught in the planet's powerful gravity. Lyra shuddered, remembering the horror stories of that desolate planet and the battles that were waged on that hunk of rock. Now Asteroid Peak was called Uranium Peak for the uranium that is now mined there. It is where ponies from Hoofington battle radiation to excavate the dangerous uranium that is used to make the Queen's weapons and the engines of future ships.

Every day Lyra would walk past the giant ships taking the poor workers to the planet to begin their months’ worth of working. Lyra stopped, watching one of the royal guards pulling a teenage colt away from his mother and tossing him into the ship. Lyra pulled her hat lower over her face to hide her glare, hearing the mother begging for her son to stay for another month at home.

Of course, the mother had a reason to cry and beg, everypony that has lived in Hoofington are sort of in a way slaves to the royal guards. They do the work and come back either sick, broken, or not at all. Those that miraculously survive the inevitable radiation sickness are given implants and become Cyberponies.

Lyra turned away, then stopped seeing one of those cyberponies standing at an alley way. Lyra glared at the cyberpony mare as her red eyes glow. This cyberpony is well known for her involvement with a gang of cyberponies that go against the royal guards. Lyra tipped her hat to show the pony that she saw her and her tiny gang of once cyberponies.

The ponies jumped upon seeing her. They turned to their leader. The red-eyed cyberpony smirked as she tossed her cigar before walking into the alley to the pub she worked at. The three other ponies followed her. The stallion glared coldly at Lyra before disappearing in the darkness.

Lyra sighed shaking her head. She turned back to the ship to watch it leave the harbor and head down to Uranium Peak. Lyra continued her walk. Just three more blocks of walking and she saw the giant fort. She looked up to see the guards on the wall watching everypony with primed and loaded laser muskets. Lyra could see their sun-bleached uniforms showing that they had been working up there forever. She felt bad for those soldiers. She marched to the gate, then she reached in her jacket pocket to grab a small holo-card and held it up for the guard to see it. He checked if it was forged, then nodded to Lyra knowing that it was real.

Lyra nodded back, sticking the card back in her pocket and marched into the fort. Already inside there are guards already deep in work. No doubt they had their orders as well. Standing in the center of the fray was the one unicorn Lyra despised the most since she regained her memories. She marched forward to Trixie Lulamoon, clearing her throat to make her presence known.

The blue unicorn turned and smiled. “Ah Colonel Heartstrings, hero of Hoofington. What a pleasure to see you again.” Trixie stated with a cruel smile, holding out her hand. Lyra made a grimace as she took her hand and shook it.

“I heard you got a promotion, congratulations, Captain.” Lyra said bowing her head in respect. It’s important to remember who’s really in charge of all the unicorn royal guards.

Trixie Lulamoon was given status of the Queen’s royal mage and as such she is the boss of the unicorn royal guard, whatever she says goes. It’s the same with General Lightning Dust, the leader of the pegasi royal guard, and whatever she says goes without question. Lyra can feel the tingling in her hand, knowing full well Trixie is using magic to check her mind. Lyra set up a counter spell just in case this happened. Trixie blinked, pulling her hand away but still keeping that smile on her face as she rubbed her hand. Lyra smirked at that.

“Well I see you keep a tight ship here Colonel, how is your commanding officer?”

Lyra sighed with a shrug. “He’s still battling the radiation poison. We believe it was from the cyberpony resistance lead by that pony at the pub.” Lyra said with a distasteful glare to the gates. Trixie didn’t need to be told who Lyra meant as she nodded.

“Yes, that unicorn is a devious one alright. Not to worry Colonel, I’ll send word to the Unicorn council to send you a promotion to commanding officer here instead of acting commander.”

Lyra closed her eyes and bowed. “Thank you, Captain. It will be a great honor.” Trixie sniffed.

“Yes, it is a great honor.” She paused and turned to motion somepony over. Lyra straightened up from her bow with her hands behind her back to see ten new ponies walking up. They stood at attention. Five Unicorns and Five pegasi. Lyra sighed deeply seeing the new ponies.

“Colonel Heartstrings, these are your new ten soldiers. They were trained in various places and were trained to help you with your Cyberpony resistance problem. Remember, all ponies here must start working in Uranium Peak. Everypony at the age of fourteen must have already started.”

Lyra nodded. “Of course, Captain.”

“Good, and from old Davy’s records there are twenty ponies that have turned fourteen and not signed on to the last shipment of workers to the Uranium fields. I want that to happen.” Trixie ordered, handing a tablet clipboard to her. Lyra pressed the screen and the list popped up showing the birth records of the twenty ponies that recently turned fourteen. Lyra gulped then nodded, shutting off the tablet screen and placing it behind her back.

“Thank you Captain, for this list. Since my boys are getting lazy since old Dave got poisoned the patrols have lessened considerably. But not to worry, I’ll have these ponies taken to our dungeons and wait for next month’s shipment.”

Trixie smiled at her. “Very good. Now if you will excuse me Colonel, I’m off to get this video done, then by Thursday we’ll go ahead and show all these ponies this new interest.” Trixie left with a giggle. Lyra gulped, knowing whatever the government’s planning it wasn't going to be good. She turned to the ten ponies still standing at attention before her. Lyra sighed looking at the tablet again then sighed again.

“Alright I need three strong unicorns in magic and two strong pegasi.” Lyra said turning to the ponies. They all looked at one another confused. Lyra rolled her eyes. She pointed at three unicorns then at two pegasi.

“You five come with me, the rest of you stay here and help with the Captain’s preparations for Thursday. The five I’ve chosen follow me. We’re going to pick up some ponies.”

It was going to be a long hard day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Please,” the mare begged as she stood in front of her daughter. “Please don’t take my daughter!” She yelled out as Lyra stood there in front of her, her face emotionless.

“It is the law ma’am, please hand her over calmly and nothing will happen.”

The mother unicorn held her daughter in her arms. “No! Please! You've already taken my son from me, she is all I have left, I beg of you-” The mare never got the chance to finish when one of the unicorn guards blasted magic at her, knocking the mother and daughter to the ground. The pegasi ran in grabbing the unicorn, pulling her out of the house. Lyra looked down at the pad to mark the daughter’s name off the list. The daughter started screaming for help.

“No, I don’t want to die! I don’t want to be horrible and ugly like the other mares, please!” The pegasi held her fast as a unicorn placed magical cuffs on her wrists and a ring shaped magic-inhibitor over her horn to prohibit her from using magic. “Mommy!” The daughter screamed out before she was tossed into the cart with the other ponies. Lyra turned feeling something grab her jacket. She looked down to see the mother crying.

“Please, Colonel, please! She’s just a girl! A child still!” Lyra fought hard to keep herself from making any facial expression as she stared at the mother. It felt like she was burning all over again. One of the pegasi guards walked in punching the mare away. Lyra remained silent as she turned away letting the pegasus stallion beat the mare for even touching Lyra.

Lyra turned to the others as the pegasus finished up his beating. Lyra looked around to see the ponies watching with stunned silence or sadness.

“Alright we have two more left. But they are twins. I want two unicorns to be ready. They are both pegasi.” The five ponies nodded. “They live a few blocks from here. Once we get them we’ll take this load back to the fort.”

“Yes ma’am!” The five called out. Lyra leaped up on the wagon with one of the pegasi next to her. She flapped the reins and the oxen started pulling the wagon through the streets. The two unicorns walked in the front with muskets ready in case of an attack. The two other ponies, a unicorn and pegasus, took the rear.

Lyra turned to the pegasus beside her. It's better to stare at something other than the stormy glares or the weeping eyes of the ponies in the streets. The stallion looked pretty young, possibly in mid-twenties. His fur was a charcoal black, his mane cut short and was a lighter shade of black than his coat with light blue streaks. His eyes were an amber-yellow color. Lyra sighed, turning back to the road.

“Hey!” Lyra stopped the cart hearing the shout. She turned to see the second pegasus guard pointing up at the roof tops. Lyra and the pegasus beside her looked up to see two pegasi brothers running on the roof tops. One of them fell hard on the roof then gasped, looking down seeing Lyra staring at him. He got up and ran away.

“Dammit!” Lyra hissed leaping off her seat. She recognized the two young colts running. She already knew who they were the moment she found their names. She had played the waiting game on purpose, knowing the two boys were smart and would figure out something, but she couldn't stop player her part as a royal guard.

“Get them!” She ordered. The two pegasi flew to the roof tops. Lyra points to two unicorns. “You two take the cart to the fort and lock them up.”

The two unicorns leaped onto to the wagon seat and ordered the oxen to move forward. Lyra and remaining unicorn ran into the nearest building in the direction the two pegasus brothers were heading.

She leaped over the gaps with the unicorn behind her. Lyra never liked this part of her job. She has to chase down ponies and arrest them, beat them, or worse, kill them to make them a lesson. But she has to do her job or ponies will suspect something. She caught up to her pegasi soldiers, watching them dive to the ground. Lyra found a door and kicked it open.

“Follow me!” She ordered leading the unicorn guard down the stairs through the shop and out the door. She turned a corner to an alley to see the pegasi tangled up on the ground.

“Get off of me you klutz!” The first pegasus screamed out kicking the black pegasus off of him. “Damn you! You hurt my wing!” He screamed out. The charcoal stallion wiped his bruised cheek.

“Can you fly?” The unicorn asked. The stallion shook his head.

“No, thanks to this idiot!” He screamed pointing at the other pegasus. Lyra sighed rubbing her face.

“Which way did they go?” Lyra asked as the unicorn helped her fellow comrade up on his feet.

“That way, towards the docks, Colonel.”

Lyra nodded. “Good, I know that place. You, take these two back to the fort, I’ll meet you there with the prisoners.” The unicorn nodded as she helped the pegasi walk back to the fort. Lyra sighed and started running down the alley taking the corner. She stopped and looked around. The docks are empty of life at the moment. She turned to see the large fence and smiled as she leaped over the wooden fence and landed with a hard squat on the other side. She heard a gasp and turned seeing one of the runaway brothers holding up a metal pipe pointing it at her with fear.

Lyra smirked pulling off her hat and grinned at him. “Hey buddy.” She said with a smile. The pegasus let out a sigh, dropping the pipe. He ran to Lyra, hugging and crying into her jacket. Lyra hugged him back shushing him as he cried.

“Please don’t make them take me!” He cried shaking. Lyra patted him on the back.

“You know I can’t force them to not do their job.” He sniffed, hugging her tighter. Lyra ruffled his dirty mane. “Where’s your brother?” She asked gently.

“I fell and hurt myself. He kept running.”

Lyra rolled her eyes. It was typical for his twin to leave him behind. Lyra nodded. “Alright, come on let’s get you someplace safe.” She looked down at the poor teenager to see him smile up at her.

“Thank you Aunt Lyra.” Lyra smiled ruffling his mane before walking on with him beside her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lyra lead the colt through the back streets of Hoofington, being wary of passerby and guards. After a while of hiding and ducking Lyra reached a secluded area of the city. It’s a large abandoned neighborhood surrounded by a tall wooden fence. A long time ago this place was a sanctuary for the wounded and sick soldiers of the Discordian War, Lyra herself watched many ponies in the army taken here to take therapy to get the radiation out of their systems. Now it’s abandoned with old skeletons of houses all breaking down. But it’s also a place where the homeless stay, making this their own neighborhood. It’s empty during the day but at night it’s filled with activity. Royal guards don’t come here in fear of Radiation.

Lyra wasn't afraid though.

She reached the fence and used her magic to lift up a small pin that was keeping the gate locked. The pin fell to the ground as Lyra pushed open the fence door. She peaked in then pushed the colt inside. She backed through the gate looking behind her. She closed the gate and picked up the pen to lock it up again.

Lyra followed the colt down the old broken street past the hollow empty houses. Every time she blinked she could see the neighborhood as it once was. Pastel painted homes with white washed fences. Flower boxes on every window, flower pots on every porch, and sitting in chairs were the wounded soldiers either smoking, napping, or playing a game of Bones or Blackjack to pass the time. Standing by the soldiers are the doctors and nurses that came here from all over the known galaxy to aid the war.

Lyra blinked, watching the whole neighborhood morph back to its dead, creepy state. Lyra sighed, following the colt down the single street. She reached the end of the street to find a large two story house. Lyra stopped to stare at the old place. It was once a hospital for the sick and wounded soldiers of the war. The scene changed again, revealing the house was once painted a baby blue color. Nurses were standing outside smoking, taking a break from the trials inside. Soldiers were talking to a one another, dressed either in uniform or in the house robe of the sick.

Lyra shook her head as she walked around to the back of the property, the young colt waited by a set of basement doors. Lyra smiled as she looked up to see a pane of glass on the wall. She reached up and knocked on that first. After a waiting a few seconds she kicked at the doors a couple of times and waited.

Lyra sighed, sticking her hands into her pockets to wait. She looked up at the building seeing the upper windows and the termite and woodpecker holes in the wood. Lyra felt something in her pocket and pulled it out. She blinks and opened the old yellowed folded note.

There was a sound of a lock being opened. Lyra refolded the note and stuck it quickly in her pocket as she turned back to the basement doors. The doors opened and a young filly’s face appeared. Lyra tipped her hat. The filly gasped with a huge smile.

“Aunty Lyra! You’re back!” The filly squealed running up the stairs to hug Lyra around her waist. Lyra smiled ruffling her purple mane. The filly looked up at her, her pink eyes beaming. “Did you bring bread?”

Lyra winced forgetting about that. “Uh not tonight sweetie sorry. I had some guard business today.”

“Oh... That’s okay! I’m sure Auntie Bonnie will want to see you!” Lyra watched as the filly released her waist and grab her hand. “Come on, she wants to see you!” Lyra chuckled as the colt ran down the stairs into the basement as Lyra was pulled into the house by the little eight year old.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as the basement doors were shut and locked Lyra was then bombarded with children. They ran up and started talking to her about their week and asked questions about food or the news. Lyra would try and listen to them all but she couldn’t over the amount of children there were.

“Alright, alright, one at a time.” Lyra said raising her voice to be heard. The children soon went quiet all smiling at her. “Alright who wants to talk first?” Lyra asked leaning on her knees looking at the little ones. One pink filly raised her hand.

“Yes Lilly?” Lyra said smiling at her.

Lilly sniffed holding up her rag doll to Lyra. Lyra kneeled down on one knee to take the doll into her hands to examine it. Then she found the answer why Lilly wanted her. The doll’s arm is about a third of the way off.

“Oh no! What happen to Miss. Petals?” Lyra asked showing concern. Lilly sucked her thumb bowing her head. Lyra smirked at that as she sighed. “Alright, I’ll kiss her arm and make her feel better, I’m sure Aunty Bonnie can sew her up like always.” Lyra said cheerfully until she felt the mood in the room shift. Her smile faded as she noticed Lilly shaking her head. Lyra blinked then turned to the older children to see them with worried or sad faces. Lyra gulped with worry.

“Uh, I’ll get Miss. Petals’ arm fixed soon. Uh, Juniper, can you uh take the little ones to bed. It’s getting late.” An older filly, she looked about thirteen years old, nodded as she called two other older kids to help her lead the little ones to their beds. Lyra sighed standing back up with a wince holding her hip. Damn, I’m getting old. She thought lamely as she sighed and turn to the older children.

“What’s going on?” She asked leaning against the wall looking at them. The ten of them, all ranging from ten to thirteen, looked at one another with worry, wondering who should tell Lyra first. One of the fillies stepped up with worry.

“Aunt Bonnie isn’t feeling well.” She said with worry. Lyra blinked, this was a surprise.

“What do you mean? She’s the healthiest pony on the station.” Lyra asked. One of the colts walked up.

“It started last month. We have been noticing Bonnie wasn’t up for most things like before. Also she’s slower and she’s not as happy as before.”

Another filly walked up and nodded. “Yeah like Stone said, Bonnie’s been getting downer and downer and we can’t do anything to fix it.”

Stone nodded. “Yeah, but the only times when she acts normal is when you come over.”

Lyra blinked. “Really?” Lyra started to get worried, if what they say is true then... But wouldn't Lyra have been sick by now if Bonnie was sick? Unless... Lyra sighed, deeply rubbing her face.

“Where is she now?” One of the fillies grabbed Lyra’s hand and led her up the stairs into the house proper. The children lead Lyra through the empty kitchen then to the main hall where the stairs case lead to the upper story of the house. Lyra smiled at the children, ruffling their manes as she took the stairs. The children stayed at the foot of the stairs, hoping Lyra could help their guardian.

Lyra marched up the stairs turning towards the wall to see the horribly stained and molded wallpaper. She blinked remembering taking these exact stairs when she was twenty-seven in the war. She blinked and found that the whole staircase has brightened.

The wallpaper is back to its beautiful yellow orange color with pink roses. The rails a polished oak and the stairs were a white oak. Lyra marched up the stairs going into the first room to her left and lying in bed was Him. Lyra shook as she slowly marched forward into the room. She could feel the scratchy feeling in her white and blue dress as she walked in.

Lyra took a chair and sat down beside his bed watching him sleep... or stare into nothing since his eyes were covered in gauze from the war. Lyra gulped, staring at his bandaged hand wondering if she should touch it. It has been two years since he left Canterlot. Two years since he said goodbye, two years since his last slap, last kick, last tantrum. And then after all the hell she went through... why did she come all the way here again? To see him? To hear him say she missed her? Or was it for her to see if he was really alive? Lyra gulped and reached for his hand.

“Are they here?” He asked, his voice strained and gravely from his wounds. Lyra froze staring at him.

“N-no,” Lyra whispered shamefully.

He sighed deeply trying to get comfortable. “It’s better off that they can’t see me.” He snorted. “I mean I bet Little Melody might have nightmares seeing her daddy like this.”

Lyra gritted her teeth clenching her hands into fists in her lap. She’s trying hard not to say anything, tears began to well up in her eyes.

“Lyra,” he said catching her attention. “Where are the children?” He asked with an edge in his voice. He’s a unicorn and no doubt he can sense Lyra’s fear and sadness. Lyra sniffed on accident.

“Gone...”

Silence.

After a long moment of silence Lyra can hear him move around a touch.

“What?” He asked with anger. Lyra sniffed.

“Jack,”

“Tell me where they are!” He said, his voice rising. Lyra shook hard in her seat.

“There wasn’t anything I could have done.”

“Excuses!” He roared out turning to her with that snarl on his face. “What happened?”

Lyra sniffed. “The house... it was in the middle of a huge rally. The ponies were drunk and there was this huge bang and then I smelt smoke then the house was caught on fire and the children-"

“You’re fault!” He roared. “You’re a Luna damned unicorn that can use magic and you didn’t do anything?!”

Lyra started to cry again. “I don’t have the abilities like you or your family!” She shouted standing up glaring at him. “The fire was too much! It spread through the house. I couldn’t even get up the stairs because the first burned most of the foundation of the house! The children are dead Jack, and I was lucky to be alive and all you say is that it was my fault?!” She screamed out.

“Look at me!” She screamed out pulling up her sleeves to reveal the white bandages around her arms. She pulled the hem of her shirt to reveal more bandages around her chest. “Of course you can’t see me! But if eyes were working you could see that I was practically burnt to death!”

The room went deathly quiet after that. Lyra continued to cry and sniffle, staring at her husband with anger. Outside, the room was already collecting an audience of soldiers, nurses, and visitors.

“You’re better off burning.” Lyra looked up with shock staring at him.

“What did you just say?” Lyra asked in whisper.

“You always ruined everything! You and your... ways!”

“What does my ways have to do with it? You married me!”

“I wish I shouldn’t have! The only good thing you ever did was bear me three children. My blood and now that blood is gone! And it’s all your fault!”

The audience let out a hushed gasp of shock.

Lyra was silent as she started to smile and giggle. She just couldn’t stop giggling.

“What are you giggling about?!” He snarled threateningly. Lyra sighed.

"You know, this whole time I actually thought you would be crying for my forgiveness," -Lyra's voice turned hard- "But it turns out you never changed." Lyra reached for the ring on her finger, then threw it at him. "Keep this dirty thing, I'm leaving and doing what I should've done years ago." Lyra turned on her heal and left the room.

“You know you were nothing without me!” He screamed back as Lyra walked past the ponies in the hall. “You were nothing but a poor, worthless musician before I took you in!"

Lyra drowned it out as she raced down the stairs and out the door.

Lyra opened her eyes to find herself standing by that first left room to see it dusty and empty. It was about twenty years ago since she left her husband to pursue her own desires. She always wanted to be a musician and continue on her dreams of playing her lyre but ever since Jack destroyed her priceless lyre she couldn’t play anymore. Also nopony wanted musicians during a war, especially when unicorns were being called to join the fight. Lyra decided on that day after breaking her engagement with Jack and she went straight to a royal guard recruitment center in Hoofington and was signed on immediately. Her life changed after that.

Lyra sighed and walked on down the hall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lyra opened the door and peeked inside the room. She pulled off her hat and smiled seeing the mare inside the room sleeping in the bed with worn out quilts over her body. Lyra entered the room trying to be silent as her boots clicked on the wooden floor. Lyra shut the door silently.

“Lyra?” Lyra froze then sighed. She turned, smiling, seeing the mare sleepily open her feverish blue eyes. “What are you doing here?” She asked. Lyra stood before the mare, seeing her tan face and her normally curly blue and pink mane was a tangled mess. Lyra walked over, placing her hat on the bed post and sat down on the bed.

“Guard business lead me here. So I figured I can come say hi.” Lyra said softly stroking the mare’s face. “How are you feeling Bon?” Lyra asked gently smiling at her.

“I just needed some rest, do you need something?” Bonbon asked trying to get up but Lyra stopped her pushing her back down on the bed.

“No, I’m perfectly fine, sweetie.” Lyra said softly smiling at her. “The children told me that you’ve been sick for some time?” Bonbon sighed rubbing her forehead.

“How much did they tell you?” She asked miserably coughing to the side not even trying to hide it. Lyra sighed.

“Enough for me to know you caught something.” Lyra said placing her hand over Bonbon’s forehead feeling the high temperature spike. By the look of her, Lyra can guess that Bonbon has a case of the flu but since she must have been sick for a long while it could be worse. Lyra placed her hand on Bonbon’s chest surprising her.

“What are you doing?” She asked. Lyra didn’t answer only concentrating as her hand and horn start to glow in the golden yellow aura of her magic. Lyra did a quick check of Bonbon’s body to feel everything, pain, and the suffering of sickness. But what was worse was when she felt something dark... there is a dark force in her now and it’s being caused by her sickness. Lyra opened her eyes, canceling her magic, panicking a touch. Bonbon was dying!

She looked at Bonbon to see her stare at her. She sighed and smiled. Lyra made a sad smile as she turned away. Bonbon grabbed Lyra’s hand and squeezed.

“You knew.” Lyra whispered. Bonbon nodded sadly.

“Yes…”

Lyra closed her eyes feeling tears. “You should have told me.”

“You know why I couldn’t.” Bonbon argued closing her eyes. “If the guard sees you getting medicine they’ll start asking questions... I don’t want you to get in trouble because of me.” Lyra gritted her teeth tightening her grip around the Earth pony’s hand.

“As long as it keeps you alive I could care less.” Bonbon sat up in the bed panting hard.

“Listen to me,” Bonbon begged grabbing her sleeve tugging hard. “I love you Lyra, I don’t want you to suffer because of me. You know what they will do to ponies like you. They will kill you!” Lyra glared at her to see her glaring back at her. “Just let this sickness take its course, I’ll be fine.”

“Fine?” Lyra asked. “No, Bon, you’re not fine. You’re terribly sick, if you would have told me I would have gotten you the medicine you needed and none of this would have happened.” Lyra argued feeling hopeless and the truth was Bonbon was right. If Lyra tried to get medicine then the healer will ask for the reasoning since meds are so few this far from Canterlot. If the doctor saw that Lyra is fit as a fiddle then he would send word to High Command (which is Trixie at the moment, being here in Hoofington) then Trixie will question the reasons and if she used her magic Lyra would reveal Bonbon and the children.

When the royal guards find out that Lyra was aiding fugitives and involved with an Earth pony then she would be executed for her crimes and Bonbon would be either killed or sent to the slave market. The children... they would be either killed, sent to slavery, or if they were purebred they would be forced to leave to a correctional training facility to become brainwashed monsters and killers.

Lyra would do anything to keep everypony she loved from being killed or becoming killers themselves. But how can she get Bonbon the meds to survive? Lyra blinked at a crazy idea, turning to Bonbon with a sly smile. Bonbon blinked.

“What?” she asked nervously.

“I think I might have an idea on how to get you help.” Lyra said crawling on the bed about on top of Bonbon. Bonbon blushed even harsher than her sick blush. She blinked realizing her intentions.

“No!” She said firmly pulling the quilt over her head. Lyra snorted at the childish act.

“Come on Bon, it’s the only way.”

“No means no Lyra! I don’t want you to get sick.”

Lyra smiled at the idea. “You know, it’s the only way to get the medicine. You know the doctor is a strict fellow, he can’t get me the meds just willingly I have to show him that I am indeed sick. Please Bon?” Lyra pleaded. Bonbon peeked out of the covers glaring at her seeing her making the most adorable puppy pout she had ever seen.

“Very tempting Lyra, but no!”

Lyra sighed shaking her head. She stood up and started taking off her jacket.

“Alright, you left me with no other choice.”

Bonbon watched her as she started unbuttoning her shirt. It was very tempting but she knew why Lyra is going to commit this. Bonbon sighed sitting up in her bed crossing her arms across her chest in defeat. Just as Lyra turned around she noticed Bonbon out of her cocoon of quilts and sighed.

“You’ll win as always, alright fine.”

Lyra smirked kicking off her boots. “Just for a couple of hours.”

Bonbon smirked at her coughing to the side. “If this works...”

“When it works.” Lyra said coming back to the bed stroking Bonbon’s face.

“Fine, when this works, promise me to never do this again?”

Lyra thinks for a moment then chuckled. “It depends, if you get sick again and hide it from me, I won’t be so easy going about it. I’ll force you to do this.” Bonbon was ready to make a retort when she felt Lyra’s lips on hers. She wanted to push her away but relented as she kissed her back. Let’s just say that the children didn’t see Aunt Lyra come out until past their bedtime.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Where am I?” Lyra asked as she opened her eyes, seeing the large light fixture above her shining the bright light in her eyes. Lyra groaned, raising her hand to rub her eyes but her hand wouldn't come up. She gasped, looking down at herself to find herself dressed in a hospital gown with sweat pants. Her wrists were bound by leather belts and she was strapped down on a chair with more leather straps.

“What’s going on, where am I?!” She screamed out trying to get herself out of her bindings. She tried to use magic but felt a powerful migraine causing her to cry out. She was wearing an inhibitor ring around her horn, making magic useless. “Get me out of here!”

“Calm down,” a calm voice said causing Lyra to stiffen.

“Who’s that? Where are you? Show yourself!” Lyra roared out trying to get the source of the voice. She felt a hand touch her shoulder causing her to gasp and turn to see a purple face looking down at her. Lyra gasped recognizing the pony staring at her.

“Wait... you’re, Colonel Cloud Kicker!” The pegasus mare nodded as she walked around the bound unicorn with her hands behind her back.

“Yes I am.” She said evenly walking over to stand in front of Lyra with a scowl on her face. Lyra gulped with fear seeing her glare. The pegasus continued to stare at her for a long moment. She finally sighed shaking her head.

“I have heard great reviews about you Sergeant, back in the war.” She said leaning against the wall, moving her hands from her back to her trouser pockets. Lyra gulped and nodded slowly. “But then I hear about you again and I see that you have changed, drastically so.” Cloud Kicker said forlornly shaking her head. After another moment of silence Cloud Kicker sighed, pushing off the wall.

“What do you remember?” She asked seriously, walking around her. Lyra found this scary.

“What do you mean?”

“Enlighten me, Sergeant, what was the last recollection of memories you possess?”

Lyra blinked staring at her then started to think. “Well... I was asked to join the Unicorn Special Forces.”

“What would they ask you?” Cloud Kicker asked. Lyra gave her a glare but lessened it, thinking. She sighed sadly.

“Maybe about what happened in the war?”

“Continue, I want to know about your involvement in the war.”

Lyra glared at her. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

“That’s an order Heartstrings, tell me what you did in the war,” Cloud Kicker snapped glaring at her. “Tell me.” She whispered. Lyra felt her ears flatten on her head.

Lyra closed her eyes feeling tears. “I killed many ponies.”

“Not just ponies.”

“Changelings, griffins, dogs, and traitors, shadows... I fought them all Colonel.”

Cloud Kicker smirked at that. “True, but it is how you did it correct?”

Lyra stayed silent turning away ashamed. Cloud Kicker sighed then walked forward toward her.

“The way you used your anger on a certain husband?”

Lyra snarled turning to her. “Ex-husband.” She hissed glaring at her chest. Cloud Kicker nodded walking over to a table at the side picking up a tablet and turned it on. She cleared her throat before speaking.

“Lyra Heartstrings, married before... lost home and children to a bonfire accident. Husband was in war, you paid for the funeral arrangements then a month after the funeral you left for Hoofington and there you signed up to join the army to fight in the campaign of Asteroid Peak, one of the deadliest campaigns in the war. I myself had the misfortune to fight there.” Cloud Kicker added sadly. Lyra remained silent closing her eyes.

“Hmm, you were rewarded many medals of Honor and sacrifice... received many wounds, especially a horrible living surgery from the enemy. Torture.” Cloud Kicker said with no emotion as she turned to see Lyra’s hands clenched into fists. “I apologize for that. Many mares’, even stallions, were dissected as torture. Mainly reproductive organs were taken away.” Cloud watched Lyra for a long moment then watched her open her eyes to show that she was fighting tears.

“They believed that if we did survive we won’t have ken to continue our genes. They believe that children must have the same genes and powers as the parents,” Lyra sighed starting to lose her voice. “All of us that survived that torture by those dark changelings and those monstrous deserters.” Lyra whispered letting the tears fall. Cloud Kicker nodded slowly.

“I’m sorry,” Kicker whispered softly with concern. “I had many friends and family that lost their fertility because of the war. Either by torture or by accident. Mainly a mine blowing up from below them.” Lyra sniffed nodding. Kicker sighed again, taking a seat on a chair staring at Lyra. Lyra turned to her as Kicker continued to read through the tablet.

“Why am I here?” Lyra asked. “Why were you asking me those questions from earlier?” Cloud Kicker continued to read through the tablet files until she found one.

“There’s a reason why I had you brought here Sergeant.”

“Yes?” Lyra asked.

“Well, I want you to be completely honest with me Sergeant, understand?” Lyra gulped and nodded.

“Of course, Colonel.”

“Good,” Kicker said standing up walking to the wall again and leaning against it looking straight at Lyra. “Tell me, do you believe that earth ponies should be slaves? Should they be nothing but objects? Or should they never have been born?” Cloud Kicker asked harshly looking into Lyra’s golden eyes. Lyra gulped about to answer but stopped biting her lip.

“Answer the question Sergeant, that’s an order.” Cloud Kicker snapped.

“N... No ma’am.”

“Excuse me?” Cloud Kicker asked glaring at her.

“No,” Lyra said making her voice hard and scornful glaring at her. “This isn’t right what they want us to believe. They are our friends, they are ponies, not tools or bugs to kill. They are ponies, they are our friends... they’re our allies.” Lyra suddenly went pale as she leaned back staring at Cloud Kicker with true fear. Cloud Kicker let a smile slip as she closed the tablet pushing off the wall and walked forward to Lyra with a chilling smile. Lyra gulped feeling sweat run down her face.

“Good answer.” Cloud Kicker whispered, smiling at her before walking away.

“Huh?” Lyra asked staring at Cloud Kicker with shock. “You’re not going to yell at me for saying traitorous thoughts?”

Cloud Kicker set the tablet back on the table smiling at Lyra. “Nope,”

“No?”

“Nope,” Kicker said again smiling sitting on the table now. “Because, that means our treatment has worked.”

“Treatment? What treatment?” Lyra asked. Cloud Kicker grabbed a small remote and pressed a button. The light faded in the room then another light shines onto the wall in front of Lyra revealing security camera footage of a classroom. Lyra gasped, seeing herself in that room filled with unicorns all watching a hologram movie. Lyra watched, seeing herself grinding her teeth in anger until finally standing up, slamming her hands on the table.

“This is wrong!” She screamed out, causing everypony to turn to her in shock. “Earth ponies aren’t killers or monsters! They’re our friends, our allies, they fought with us in the war!”

“Silence!” An older stallion voice screamed out.

“No! This is wrong!” Suddenly several unicorns dressed in black uniforms ran over pushing Lyra onto her desk trying to silence her as she continued to fight until she was shocked unconscious. The hologram video turned off and the light came back on blinding Lyra.

“I... I remember that.” Lyra whispered. “I... What happened to me?” Lyra asked spooked looking at Kicker to see her with a grim expression.

“They brainwashed you thoroughly to make sure you won’t make another outburst. After you were tortured they sent you back and you just go on and on. It’s hard to explain since I myself had no idea how I got out of their brainwashing.” Cloud Kicker sighed shaking her head rubbing her temple. “It could be that I had brain surgery during the war where I have some metal plates in my cranium that effected my brainwashing but I’m grateful that I’m not the only one that thought what the royals were doing is wrong.”

Lyra nodded. “But why me?”

“Because you were close by and we have it in your record that you were against the Order. Those that have been around and started the Discordian War in the first place. They wanted to cause chaos and they did. Somehow, some way, that got the Order-lings to become part of the Queen’s high council. In turn created these laws.”

Lyra gasped. “Wait, so you’re saying there is corruption in the council... the Queen?”

Kicker shook her head. “I don’t know Heartstrings, all I can say is that Canterlot has turned its back on everypony. The Order is in charge and they want the Earth ponies dead. For what or why I’m not sure. But it’s bad, very bad and it’s up to us to stop them from succeeding.”

“Us?” Lyra asked curiously. Cloud Kicker smirked at her.

“Lyra Heartstrings, what I’m going to tell you is top secret. And you must make an oath of secrecy to my army.”

Lyra stared at the colonel then nodded. “Alright,”

“Good, what I’m about to show you is considered treason of the highest order. Of course, you will be tortured for the information, and whether or not they get the information they want, they will kill you in the most painful ways possible.” Kicker said, leaning forward towards the unicorn’s face. “Are you still willing to keep that secret?”

Lyra gulped and nodded.

“Good answer.” Cloud turned and pressed the button on the remote to operate the hologram again. “Now listen close, because I will not repeat myself. Understand Heartstrings?”

Lyra stared at Cloud Kicker for a long moment thinking. The government she fought for in the war turned their back on her and everypony, not just everypony, the Earth Ponies. They needed her help, they needed everyponies help. And that was why she left and joined the war, to make herself useful and help ponies that can’t help themselves.

Lyra blinked then looked up at Kicker to see her smile. Lyra nodded.

“Yes ma’am.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, true to what she thought, Lyra caught whatever Bonbon had. After their night of love, Lyra left Bonbon’s place and was able to make it to the fort for the changing of the guard. Trixie was a little miffed at the fact that Lyra was gone almost all evening and came back empty handed with no runaway colts in her procession. She was dismissed for the night.

When Lyra woke up the next morning she felt her throat sore and her eyes were watering, no doubt signs of her sickness. But she had to wait a bit longer before going to see the doctor to get the medicine for herself and Bonbon. Lyra got up and did her morning routine; get cleaned up, get dressed, then slowly lumber through the door to the fort. Once there, it was a normal depressing day. Lyra had to get the ten new recruits into their new posts and jobs until they got promoted. Lyra turned to see the charcoal pegasus stallion to see him staring at her. When Lyra looked up he turned away, going about his duties. Lyra continued on her patrol to the city of Hoofington.

When Lyra returned to the fort at dusk she noticed that the fort was strangely empty at this time of day. Thinking nothing of it she signed out and left the fort to visit the doctor. She was already feeling the effects of the sickness. She needed the medicine to even breathe and knowing that Bonbon was twice as worse as she is right now she quickened her pace.

She walked down to the merchant district of Hoofington and went to one of the tiny shops with the emblem of a Doctor printed on its large wooden sign. When Lyra entered she could already see the place was filled with pour souls waiting for treatment that probably would come for them. Lyra kept her stony glare on her face to keep ponies from looking or talking to her.

She heard a tinkling of a bell and a stallion walked inside the shop from behind her.

“Ahh Colonel, what brings you to my fine establishment?” Lyra turned to see the sickly yellow colored unicorn walk into the shop. He walked around Lyra to stand behind his desk beaming a smile. Lyra contained her shiver as she placed her hands behind her back.

“I came to get medication.” Lyra covered her mouth coughing and was in shock, feeling tightness in her chest already and her cough sounded way worse than it was when she woke up. The doctor blinked hearing the cough.

“Oh dear, come in the back with me and I’ll see if there is anything wrong.” Lyra nodded as she walked around behind the desk and followed the doctor in the back room. As she walked she could hear the curses and grumbles from the other ponies. Lyra kept her face emotionless as she walked into the room.

After the doctor visit Lyra was given the meds, she must take once every day until gone. Lyra smirked, Make that two a day Doctor Wananbe. Lyra snickered to herself as she stuck the pill bottle into her pocket. She looked at the sky to find the sky in the dark reddish-orange color of late dusk.

“Hmm, I better get these meds to Bonbon soon. I bet no one will notice if I take a small detour to a bread shop and get some bread for the children.” Lyra said softly to herself as she walked to a bakery and took the two day old bread which was cheaper than normal bread. After that she headed into the allies and disappeared.

After a long time of climbing over fences Lyra was starting to feel the effects of the sickness making her slow and achy. That’s not good. Thought Lyra. The sooner she got this medicine to Bonbon the sooner she could take some herself and get better. She couldn't afford to be slow, it’ll be the end of her life if she kept going at this rate.

When she finally reached the old neighborhood she stopped, seeing the gate and the surrounding fence knocked to the ground.

“Uh oh,” Lyra whispered with fear as she ran to the nearest wall and peaked over. She gasped to see that the neighborhood was crawling with Royal guards! Lyra abandoned the bread into a trash can and went to look for a hiding spot. She found one in some bushes to watch as the guards were busting down the doors and pulling off the plywood blockers to jump in the houses. Lyra heard screaming and turned to see one house is being emptied of homeless ponies. Many were being stabbed or beaten. Lyra gulped, seeing one of the houses being consumed in fire and burning to the ground.

Lyra heard a scream and turned to see the end house was being emptied of children.

“Oh no!” Lyra whispered harshly grinding her teeth watching helplessly as the orphans and runaways were being pulled out of the house and pushed to the ground. Then the unicorns grabbed them with their magic and placed handcuffs on their wrists and cuffs on their ankles. Some were even beaten into submission to make the younger children cooperate.

“No, leave the children alone!”

“Bon!” Lyra whispered looking up from her shelter to watch as two pegasi push Bonbon to the dirt as she started to cough horribly and spat out the green gunk from her lungs. One of them had the gall to kick Bonbon in the stomach causing her to scream out. Lyra clenched her fists trying to stay down, stay hidden.

“It’s an Earth Pony boys, a purebred too! See that mark on her neck?” One of the guards said grabbing Bonbon’s mane and pulled her up on her knees as she cried out.

“Yeah, he’s right,” One of the guards said laughing as he poked her in the stomach with his sword. “All Earth ponies born here were marked on the neck. Hey, bring in that scanner, we’ll see who she is.” Lyra stiffened.

All the times she made love with her in the past she knew of Bonbon’s mark. Every Earth pony that was born in Hoofington were marked on the neck with a tattoo and a number. That number gives Royal guards (or slavers) the Earth pony’s history and family. When the Earth pony reaches a certain age (like all ponies in Hoofington) they will be used. For what? Lyra doesn’t know. But Bonbon being marked as a filly will reveal what her true purpose was. Lyra watched with bated breath seeing one of the unicorns pulling out a tablet and scanned the mark on Bonbon’s neck as she started to cry softly.

“Hey,” the unicorn said pointing at the scanner. “It says here that she was sold to the Flim-Flam brothers seven years ago as a sex slave. Somehow she escaped captivity.”

“How?” A pegasus asked.

“Hmm, it says that a pedestrian unlocked the cage and released her and the other slaves to be sent to the Brothers. They were recaptured and sold but she was the only one left.” He said laughing looking down at her. Bonbon kept her head down. One pegasus grabbed a hand full of her mane and pulled back causing her to scream, again crying. Lyra closed her eyes trying hard to control her feelings of anger. She couldn't risk blowing her cover. She made an oath to Cloud Kicker and her rebels.

Lyra sighed, but she couldn't leave Bonbon thinking that Lyra was in trouble or had betrayed her. Lyra stood up fixing her jacket then took in a deep breath and let it out. Now entering Colonel Lyra mode as she walked over slowly. Several soldiers saw her and gasp standing in salute. Bonbon gasped seeing Lyra walking forward.

“Ahh Colonel,” One of the pegasi said walking over. Lyra despised this pegasus. His name was Lieutenant Lightning Bolt, a very gruesome and abusive pony. The terror of the Hoofington Royal Guard. If Lyra wasn’t given a promotion to Colonel he would have and made Hoofington a whole lot worse for wear. He was a white pegasus with a pink mane and tail. His eye sparkled an orange color as he smirked at Lyra as if he had won a game of chess.

“Lieutenant,” Lyra answered stiffly with her hands behind her back. “I was making my rounds when I heard a commotion and noticed the smoke.” Lyra said indicating the burning house next to them. “What exactly took place here?” She asked glaring at him.

Lieutenant Lightning Bolt just smirked smugly at her. “Well Colonel, if you were at the fort yesterday evening you might have known what’s going on now.” He said severely getting the soldiers to look at them. Lyra got a very uneasy feeling. She knew that the Lieutenant already despised her and what made it worse was when he often questioned her in front of everyone that Lyra is missing on strange times and doesn’t come back.

Bonbon coughed once and Lyra looked down at her. Bonbon’s eyes were red and puffy with sickness and tears but what they begged for made Lyra feel like a monster. Lyra told Bonbon time and time again that she can’t protect her if something like this should happen but that was before they became intimate. Now they were lovers, and Lyra couldn't ignore that and couldn't ignore the fact that the love of her life, the one that had brought her out of her depression, the one that had told her she loved her, was sitting there, begging for her help.

“I apologize for missing that important meeting. Nopony mentioned it to me this morning.” Lyra said coldly turning to the Lieutenant. The Lieutenant kept that smug smile as he chuckled.

“Of course you wouldn’t, it was a need to know basis.” He said. Lyra turned seeing, several soldiers were smiling like Lightning Bolt. Lyra kept silent as she sighed.

“Well I will say this though. Congratulations for discovering this hideout of ponies. You are free to continue what you’re doing Lieutenant.”

Lightning bowed laughing. “Of course Colonel.” He turned back to the soldiers. “Alright boys get these excuses for ponies back to the fort. Separate all accordingly.” Lightning watched as Lyra turned on her heel and leave the area. He smirked as he grabbed Bonbon's neck, pulling it, making her scream in pain. Lyra stopped and turned to see him stroking her face with his dirty fingers. Bonbon shivered from the contact trying to pull away.

“I might keep this one before sending her off. After all she was destined to be a whore after all.” He laughed. Bonbon looked at Lyra to see her eyes burn with fire staring at the pegasus. But she turned and kept on walking with her hands clenched into fists. Bonbon kept her mouth shut as she closed her eyes as tears roll down her cheeks, crying. The pegasus pushed her to the ground.

“Take her away.” Bonbon felt her arms being restrained behind her back as the cold manacles were placed over her wrists. She continued to stare at Lyra’s back as she continued to walk away from her.

Please, Great Luna, I pray, she thought to herself as she was lifted up her feet. Bring Lyra back

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lyra paced in her apartment room as tears flowed from her eyes. She took the medicine and felt a touch better but nothing could make her better when Bonbon was in trouble and knowing she couldn't help her. Lyra stopped and started to cry even harder. She sat down hard on her bed staring at her hands.

You’re useless!

Lyra covered her face with her scarred hands as Jack’s voice came back taunting her.

You’re fault! You’re a Luna damned unicorn that can use magic and you didn’t do anything?!

Lyra couldn’t hold it, she grabbed her pillow and sobbed in it. First her children, then her friends, and now Bonbon! They all needed her and she didn’t do anything to help them, to save them. She fell on her side on the bed curling up into a ball hearing all the screams for help, the crying, the yelling, and the cursing. Everything came crashing down on her unstable roof. Everything she built up to this point was now crashing down. Everything she loved is now forever gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lyra walked around Hoofington for the fifth time since she got there. Hoofington was in, by far, the worst shape than it had been when she was in the war. Lyra was released from the Baltimare Space Port and Training Center. Thanks to what Cloud Kicker told her Lyra understood the meaning of survival and secrecy. She must not show that she was working with the Rebels. Her job was to continue on her routine as a normal officer and report to Cloud Kicker if there are any troubles to worry about. Only in case of emergencies would she send Cloud Kicker a distress message to get help for herself.

Lyra continued on with a new set of eyes now. She could see the cruelty that the Order veiled from her before. Her brain was back to working order and her conscience was stronger than ever. But like Cloud Kicker said, she must keep the façade, she must keep a mask of ignorance to the suffering of the ponies around her. She had to, or she would be found out and she would be questioned, tortured, or worse returned to her old state of mind. She couldn't afford that, not now. Until Cloud Kicker gave the word she must send the signal to the other rebel soldiers in Hoofington that it was time to strike and take over the galaxy for the new Princess. Princess Octavia, a Hybrid Princess. The only ray of hope left in the galaxy for the Earth ponies and the Mixed ponies.

Lyra was too busy daydreaming when she was knocked to the ground by somepony. Lyra groaned after the crash, hearing the groaning of another pony on top of her. Lyra opened her eyes and gasped at what she saw. Laying on top of her was another mare, but this mare had no horn or wings. She's an Earth pony, Thought Lyra. The Earth pony with a tannish face opened her beautiful blue eyes and gasped, staring into Lyra’s golden eyes.

The two mares stared into each other’s eyes in awe. Lyra gulped, closing her mouth.

“Hey, stop her!” A guard screamed out, running over with a bully club. The mare gasped, grabbing her sack and running in the opposite direction of the guard. “I said stop her you idiot!” The pegasus said, stopping as Lyra got up on her feet. “Hey!” He yelled out, shoving Lyra into the wall.

“What?” Lyra growled back.

“Go get her!” He ordered.

“Why me?” Lyra complained, staring at the pink maned, orange eyed pegasus.

“Because I am the senior officer of the watch and you’re the newbie Heartstrings!”

“Yeah so?”

“So I order you to capture that mare and bring her to justice. She stole bread from the market and must be punished.” Lyra blinked, looking to where the mare ran off to and nodded.

“Alright.” The pegasus slapped her in the face.

“The name is Bolt, Sergeant Bolt! Got it newbie?” He scolded growling at her.

Lyra glared back at him. “Yes sir, Sergeant Bolt, sir.” She said through gritted teeth, seeing him make his signature smug grin.

“Good, now go get her.”

Lyra nodded as she picked up her hat and started after the Earth pony. She turned back to see Lightning Bolt leave the alley and start whistling a tune. Bastard. Lyra thought harshly as she continued to run.

It took a while but Lyra finally found the Earth pony. Lyra stopped by a corner to stare at the Earth pony. Lyra hadn’t seen an Earth pony since the war at least in her sane memory. This mare looked young, younger than Lyra. She looked to be in her twenties as she looked through garbage and put objects into her sack. Lyra swallowed the lump in her throat that formed when she saw the mare. She was dressed in an old worn out, navy blue robe. It was possibly a shawl at one point, but it looked like the mare had sewn together another layer of cloth to make it longer.

Lyra continued tailing her for a long distance until she noticed the mare was now walking faster, trying to duck into places that Lyra couldn’t get into. Lyra quickly figured out that the mare knew that she was being followed. Until the mare turned a corner into an alley. Lyra trotted after her. The mare turned and gasped seeing her, then started to run. Lyra ran after her.

"Wait!" Lyra called out, after chasing the mare through the backstreets of Hoofington. The mare made a turn, and let out a cry of despair upon seeing that she was in a dead-end. She pulled out a knife, ready to fight. Lyra stopped, seeing the weapon and the dead-end. She help up her hand in a gesture of peace.

“I’m not here to hurt you.” Lyra said carefully and calmly.

“You really think I’m that stupid?” The mare asked harshly.

Lyra shook her head. “No, listen, I’m not here to hurt you.” Lyra said again, this time using one hand she reached for her belt and pulled it off. She held the belt in the air showing the mare the holstered pistol and the chargers. Lyra tossed it behind her.

“See?” Lyra said raising her hand back up to show she was unarmed. The Earth pony stared at her for a long moment, confused. This crazy guard just took off her belt and threw it away? Most guards just pull out their weapon and try to shoot her dead but this guard is different. The pony kept her knife up as she started shaking.

“Let me pass,” She ordered. Lyra thought about this for a long moment.

“On one condition.” Lyra said holding up a finger.

“What’s that?” The mare asked.

“Tell me your name.”

“What?”

“Tell me your name.” Lyra repeated. Lyra was curious as to why she’s wanting to know. Even the Earth pony was bewildered.

“Why?” She asked lowering her knife in shock. Lyra shrugged her shoulders keeping her hands up.

“I’m curious.” Lyra said with a small smile. The Earth pony thought about it then nodded.

“Fine...” Lyra nodded, stepping to the side with her back against the wall. The Earth pony held her knife in front her as she slowly walked past Lyra. She pointed the knife at Lyra’s face thinking of what she should do. Lyra could tell this pony was afraid and adrenaline was making her shake like a leaf. For a long moment they stood there, staring into each other’s eyes. The Earth pony then made dash for it, leaving Lyra alone in the alley. Lyra watched as she ran away into the city.

Lyra sighed in defeat, lowering her hands as she shook her head. She walked to her belt and pulled it on around her waist. She walked out of the alley to look around to see no Earth pony in a navy blue robe. For some reason Lyra felt hurt, she should have known that any sane pony would just run. But for some reason she felt an old feeling she thought had died away so many years ago. The feeling of love at first sight. She had that when she first met Jack, before she knew what he was. She shook her head violently, she didn’t want him anymore and screw love, all it did was cause her pain.

Two months after that meeting with the earth pony, Lyra was walking home from another day of duty when she heard something in the alleys. She heard a strangled scream and ran to the alley. She ran over to the backstreets and what she found under one of the old street lamps were three drunken guards hounding and beating a poor mare in the street. Lyra would have turned and walked away if it weren’t for the fact that she saw who the mare was. It was her!

For some odd reason Lyra felt dark anger as she reached into her holster and pulled out her pistol. She ran over when one of the guards grabbed the mare’s blouse and ripped it off of her. Another guard pistol whipped her in the face, knocking her out cold.

“Let me have her first!” The first drunken guard screamed out. Lyra got to him first and pulled the trigger. The guard fell with a laser beam in the brain. The two other drunken guards gasped and looked up seeing Lyra.

“Oi, what’s that for?” The second asked. Lyra balled up her fist and punched him in the face, knocking him out. The last guard growled and stood up, ready tackle her to the ground. Lyra backed away as he fell to the ground from tripping. Lyra grabbed the stallion by his mane then slammed his face into the pavement. Once he was down she stood up, panting hard.

She stared at the three bodies and sighed. She turned hearing a gasp and saw the mare staring at her, trying to keep what was left of her blouse on her chest. Lyra turned to her. The mare scooted back as far as she could until she hit the wall and couldn’t move anymore. She was terrified, beaten and bruised from her ordeal. Lyra kneeled down as the mare turned away from her, crying.

Lyra stroked her face shushing silently. “It’s alright,” she whispered. “You’re safe now.” The mare opened her glassy eyes to look up at Lyra. She stared at her for a long moment then she pointed at her.

“You’re that guard that let me get away.” She whispered in shock. Lyra smiled at her.

“Come on, we have to get out here. Ponies would have heard that scuffle.” Lyra took the mare’s hand and pulled her up to her feet. Lyra pulled off her jacket and placed it on her shoulders. The mare was shocked to see such gentleness from a guard.

“Why?” She asked. Lyra smiled at her.

“Not now. Do you have a place to hide?” Lyra asked, quickly looking around.

“Yes, follow me.” The mare took Lyra’s hand and lead her through the backstreets away from the scene as the sound of guards were running to the scene.

After a bit of walking the mare lead Lyra to a familiar place. Lyra gasped seeing the old neighborhood. She stopped to stare.

“What happened here?” Lyra asked as the mare grabbed a screwdriver from a bush and used it to pull out a pin to open the gate.

“This place was abandoned after the war. That was what my father told me.” She answered as she pushed open the gate. “Nopony comes except for us.” She said. Lyra can guess who she meant and understood why, this was a dark, creepy place. Nopony would dare come here. Not even Lyra, considering this place held horrible memories. Lyra followed the mare into the lot as she closed the gate and locked it behind her.

Lyra followed her into the neighborhood, seeing the homeless sitting on the sidewalk trying to keep warm. They all stared with fear and anger at Lyra as they walked. Lyra kept moving as she followed the mare to the large house. Lyra bit her lip as she followed her into the house.

The mare lead Lyra to the room that was the kitchen and found a medical box and opened it.

“Uh, please sit down.” She said noticing Lyra had some cuts on her knuckles. Lyra found a chair and carefully sat down, looking at her knuckles. The mare sat in another chair and placed the box on the old table top. She pulled out some cotton swabs and a small flask of whiskey. The mare poured a little of the alcohol on the swab before taking Lyra's had to start wiping off some of the dirt and blood from her knuckles. Lyra hissed a touch but kept still. She was about to wrap Lyra’s hands when Lyra stopped her.

“No, if the guards see that I have bandages they will question me.” She said seriously. The mare nodded slowly putting the bandages back in the box. She was ready to close the lid when Lyra stopped her again.

“Your turn.” Lyra said softly. The mare blushed hearing that. Lyra took the box and pulled out the flask and another swab and did the same treatment on her. The mare closed her eyes feeling Lyra’s gentleness as she did the patch job. When that was done Lyra started cleaning up.

“Bonbon,” the mare said. Lyra blinked, turning to her. “You asked me for my name remember?”

Lyra stared at her for a moment then nodded. “What was it?” She asked.

“Bonbon.” She answered smiling a touch.

Lyra nodded smiling. “Sweet name.” She said turning away. Bonbon blushed at that, brushing her mane with her fingers. Lyra sighed, taking her jacket.

“I better get back to my place and get some sleep, no doubt they will ask me questions if I heard anything or not in the morning.” Bonbon watched as Lyra pulled her uniform on and straighten it up.

“Here, let me go with you.” Bonbon said quickly and wondered why she said it in the first place. This pony is guard, an enemy... but she saved her, took care of her even for that small moment of time. Bonbon lead Lyra back to the gate and opened it.

“Why did you do it?” Bonbon asked stopping Lyra from leaving. Lyra blinked turning to her. Bonbon blushed rubbing her neck. “Most guards would have killed me, raped me, mutilated me, but you’re different somehow. Why?”

Lyra thought for a moment then smiled a touch. “Maybe because I have a conscience and I can see that you needed help. Or maybe it was something about you that made me want to know you better.” Lyra answered softly. Bonbon blushed even harder at that.

“But I’m an Earth pony and you’re a unicorn.”

“Back in my day, nopony cared what race we are. Just remember that. Not all ponies are blood thirsty killers. Some of us are just living day to day and waiting for the opportune moment to help you.”

Bonbon stared at her for a long moment. Lyra smiled, tipping her hat before turning to leave. Bonbon gasped.

“Wait,” She called. Lyra stopped and turned. “What’s your name?” Lyra smiled at her. She turned and bowed to her.

“Sergeant Lyra Heartstrings, it’s a pleasure to meet you Mistress Bonbon. Maybe someday we’ll see each other again.” And I hope it’s soon. Lyra thought the last bit as she smiled at the earth pony and left.

Bonbon watched as the gentle guard left her. She closed the gate and turned to lean against the fence and sighed. Who was she for real? She thought to herself blushing. Whoever she was, I think I like her

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lyra opened her eyes to see her shadow on the floor. The sun has risen and Lyra felt horrible. She couldn’t stop dreaming about Bonbon and think about how much she meant to her. She couldn't get rid of the feeling of hopelessness. She sat up on her bed, sniffling and coughing from the sickness. She found the pill bottle and took a pill.

She got up and got dressed then slowly walked to the fort to start work. As she got closer and closer Lyra started to get worried. She desperately wanted to help Bonbon but she couldn't, no matter what or she would blow her cover and worse things could happen and Bonbon would have no help at all.

She reached the fort and gave the guard her holo-card and was let in. Lyra just walked in when she noticed one of the wagons was filled with equipment for the screening of the message today.

“Oh it’s Thursday.” She whispered as more guards are ready to leave.

Lyra was given the order by Trixie to stay in the fort until she returned. Lyra nodded, saluting as Trixie and fifty of the guards walked off with five wagons to get to their points and set up the holograms and speakers for the message. One of the guards was Lightning Bold, who gave her a smug smile as he left the fort. Lyra rolled her eyes as they left.

When the gates slammed shut Lyra started making orders. After that she had an interesting idea. A risk, but she would take it. She still had the pills in her pocket and Bonbon would defiantly be in one of the dungeons underground. While Lightning Bolt was gone Lyra could sneak in without incident. After all she was Acting Commander of Hoofington. She could go in without trouble.

After everything was taken care of, Lyra made her way to the fort itself. Once inside the place was empty. Perfect. She found the dungeon entrance and opened the door with her holo-card and went down the stairs. Once she reached the cold, dank bottom she used her magic to light her path as she took another set of stairs. She had to find the children, that was her number one priority. Although she would have much preferred finding Bonbon first.

After a bit of walking she could hear the voices of children. She followed the sound until she reached a giant cage filled with children. The children looked over and gasped, seeing Lyra.

“Auntie Lyra!” The little ones screamed out running to the bars. Lyra had to shush them harshly.

“Don’t call me that here. It’s too dangerous.”

“Can you help us?” One of the colts asked, crying. Lyra sighed, looking around.

“I can’t, not in my position. I’m looking for Bonbon, do you know where they are keeping her?” One filly nodded.

“Yeah, we hear her cry a lot down there.” She said pointing down the hall. “And that meanie man goes down there and she cries even more.”

Lyra snarled audibly looking toward the hall. She nodded to the children.

“Thank you, I’ll try and think of something for you. A switcheroo or something I promise.” She stood up and trotted down the hall until she reached a set of smaller cages. By the smell this area was meant for slaves. She could see dead ponies as she walked through the hall. She stopped, peeking into a cell to see Bonbon sitting on the ground with her hands in shackles above her head. She looked like she was sleeping. At least Lyra hoped she was sleeping. Lyra turned to see the keys on hooks on the wall. She took a key and used it to unlock the cell. Lyra levitated the ball of light and ran into the cell, the ball of energy following her, illuminating the room.

“Bonnie? It’s me, wake up.” Lyra whispered, patting her on the cheek. Bonbon screamed upon waking up, thinking it was a guard come to rape or beat her, or possibly both. “Bonnie it’s me, Lyra.” Lyra pleaded. Bonbon stopped screaming, and looked up at Lyra with tears in her eyes

“Lyra! Bless Luna you’re here!” Lyra kissed Bonbon on the lips, feeling her love kiss her back, crying.

“I’m here, sweetie.” Lyra whispered, feeling tears herself, happy to see Bonbon alright. “I’m so, so sorry!” She whispered, crying herself.

Bonbon shook her head. “You only did what you had to do, I don’t blame you for any of this.” Lyra sobbed softly shaking her head.

“No. I told you I would protect you and I didn't. Now you’re here and I can’t get you out.” Bonbon leaned forward, touching her forehead to Lyra's.

“But you are here and I’m happy to see you. I missed you.” Lyra smiled stroking her face.

"I missed you too," Lyra reached into her pocket to pull out the bottle of medicine, “Like I promised.” She held up the pill in her fingers. “This will give you some relief. I was going to give you this yesterday but...” Bonbon nodded sadly. Lyra smiled as Bonbon opened her mouth for Lyra to place the pill in her mouth. Bonbon swallowed hard, trying to get the pill down her throat. She looked up at Lyra, smiling.

The two sat there for a long moment just looking at one another with sadness and love.

“Bon, did he touch you?” Lyra asked her eyes burning. Bonbon nodded.

“He did, but he didn’t go any further.” Lyra snarled audibly again.

“I will get him, Bonnie,”

Bonbon shook her head. “No, think about your position right now Lyra. Remember what you told me, you have to help ponies and you can’t show them what you are yet.” Lyra started crying again.

“I can’t... I can’t take it any more Bonbon. I want to kill all of them for what they've done to you and the ponies here. It’s sick and that bastard taking you is the final straw, I don’t think I can act like this anymore!” Lyra cried, covering her eyes with her hands. Bonbon hushed her softly, wishing desperately to hug her lover and comfort her.

“Lyra, everything is going to be alright.”

“No it won’t be alright. The Princess is dead, the only one left to help you and your kind is gone. We lost! You won’t get any help and it’s up to me to be there for you. I will get you out someday, I will. And I will kill that bastard for what he has done to you.”

Bonbon was silent, seeing Lyra’s angry glare. She was not going to turn from this choice but yet it felt good hearing Lyra saying this. Bonbon nodded. “Very well, I’ll be waiting for you.” Lyra nodded, kissing Bonbon, making sure it would be worth the while before they met again. Lyra pulled away as the tears flowed again, seeing Bonbon smile at her.

“I’ll be back soon.” Lyra whispered, stroking her face.

Bonbon nodded with a sniff. “I’ll be here when you get back.” Lyra nodded as she stood up and backed away from her. Bonbon smiled at her, bowing her head. Lyra sniffed, wiping her eyes as she shut the cell door and locked it. She and Bonbon stared at one another from between the bars one last time.

“I love you.” Lyra whispered. Bonbon smiled in return.

“I love you too.” Bonbon said as Lyra turned away and quickly walked out of the dungeon. Bonbon sighed, crying silently.

When Lyra reached the surface her face was an emotionless mask again. She just got out of the building to see everypony coming back from sending the message. Lyra stood and waited as Trixie walked over with a victorious smile.

“Everything went according to plan, Captain?” Lyra asked. Trixie nodded smirking.

“Of course it did. Now Colonel, I’m sending you on patrol with the rest of the guard to find me this pony.” Trixie said handing Lyra a hologram device. Lyra used her magic and the hologram turned on revealing the said unicorn with a scowl on her face. The unicorn had a two toned blue mane with white fur and magenta eyes. Lyra nodded.

“Easy to spot.”

Trixie snorted. “Yes, but she is a real trickster. She’ll be seen one moment and gone the next if she discovers that she is being followed. I want her alive, Colonel.”

Lyra nodded saluting. “Of course ma’am. Consider it done.”

Trixie nodded. “We heard from a source that the unicorn was spotted heading for that cyberponies bar called the Blackjack. See to it that you find the pest and arrest her. And if you see the Princess,” Lyra blinked in shock at this, “bring her in as well. Is that clear?” Trixie asked. Lyra coughed clearing her throat shaking her head.

“Um, yes ma’am that is all clear. Excuse me, I have to get some water for my throat.” Lyra started coughing again hiding her mistake. Trixie moved away from her.

“Oh, that’s right, you caught something didn’t you?”

Lyra nodded clearing her throat.

“Hmmph, well good hunting Colonel and I’ll take my leave for Manehattan, Prince Blueblood requires my assistance. Good evening.” She said walking away.

“Of course, Captain.” Lyra said saluting as Trixie turned on her heels and started packing for her trip to Manehattan. Lyra blinked in shock, thinking. The princess is really alive? This came as a shock. Who else knew that the princess was alive? Lyra sighed and went off to join the patrol if what Trixie told is true then she must find Princess Octavia before the other guards do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Princess is gone.

Lyra walked through the streets angry and sad.

Lyra went to the Blackjack’s as ordered and then suddenly the source of her search was found at the bar, but she had the Princess with her and she was trying to get the unicorn out of the bar. Other than that strange fact, considering the ponies believed that this unicorn had kidnapped her. Lyra went in a chase to try and catch that pony and get her to answer some questions until the earth pony ordered her to stop and lower her weapon.

No earth pony would dare do that unless she was a princess. And that earth pony, that gray pony was truly the missing Princess of the royal family, Octavia. Lyra was in shock and yet relieved. Princess Octavia is alive and if she’s alive then Bonbon has a chance of survival and freedom. Lyra had to tell Octavia who she really was and possibly send her to Cloud Kicker and then Octavia will aid the rebels in ending this tyranny.

But that backfired when Octavia fired off her weapon and ran to the docks. Lyra was just behind her when the small sloop she ran into took off and left Hoofington forever. And Lyra was pissed. And not only that but in a deep spiral of depression. The only pony left in the galaxy that could save Bonbon and the ponies of Hoofington was gone. Lyra had no choice but to call for a message to send to Canterlot High Command. But not only that.

She ran home immediately and decided to open her secret message box. It was a special beacon that could be turned on in case of emergencies. She opened the box and pulled out the hologram and set it on her table. She gulped and sighed, using her magic to start up the hologram beacon. The light turned on revealing, the symbol for the Royal guard.

“This device will only be used in extreme emergencies, are you sure you want to start up this distress signal? If you do this then the beacon will self-destruct.” The voce said waiting for Lyra’s reply. Lyra sighed.

“Set coordinate code EOH-564-EPRA.”

The hologram revealed a few dots and then the royal guard symbol morphed to the rebellion symbol. A shield with crossed swords, the old Kicker family sigil. It was Cloud Kicker’s idea of using a very old family sigil as their mark since not many ponies ever read about history anymore.

“Coordinates set. Identification please?” The voice said. Lyra sighed.

“ID number 558793124.”

“Identification confirmed, Colonel Lyra Heartstrings. Please wait as I scan the room for intruders.”

Lyra waited as a light scan revealed itself as it scanned the entire room. After a few moments the hologram showed a green check mark.

“Area of communication is clear and safe. Patching through now.”

The hologram shown an hourglass flipping in a circle as Lyra gulped waiting for the contact. Suddenly a small figure appeared from the hologram, the figure was sitting in a chair with her boots on the desktop. She looked up and grinned. Lyra grinned in return.

“It’s been a long time, Heartstrings.” The hologram of General Cloud Kicker said smiling. Lyra could tell she had indeed aged since she last saw her.

“It sure has been, ma’am.” Lyra said with a smile.

“This better be good. I’m getting messages about Princess Octavia being alive and well.” Lyra blinked, so Octavia has been seen quite a lot lately. That’s very good.

“That’s one of the reasons why I called General.” Kicker nodded as she set her paper work on the desk turning to her.

“And the other reason?” She asked. Lyra sighed and began to tell her commanding officer her story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two days after her distress beacon chat with Cloud Kicker, Lyra walked down the road, determined. The plan was set and Cloud Kicker should be here soon. Lyra went through the plan in her head again as the lamp lighters walked down the sidewalks lighting, the lamps as they passed them. They saluted to Lyra as she walked by as a sign of respect. Lyra ignored them as she continued her determined stride to the fort.

The plan was simple. It was time to leave Hoofington and Lyra would be sent to Baltimare Space Station, and Bonbon would be going for the ride. Cloud’s plan was for Lyra to bust out Bonbon as fast and quietly as possible. Then Cloud Kicker would give the torch to another rebel in Hoofington. Cloud Kicker would also send a notice to High Command telling them that she would need Lyra to replace a fallen comrade that was her top second commander.

Once Lyra got Bonbon out of the fort she would take Bonbon to her apartment by the docks and wait for Cloud Kicker’s ship, then she would sneak Bonbon aboard the ship in the dark. Then, when the sun rises, Lyra would get aboard with nopony the wiser. Lyra turned a corner to see Hoofington Fort lit up with spotlights. Lyra sighed, then stepped forward into the light.

“Halt!” One of the night watchmen called out holding up his musket. “State your business!” He called out. Several other watchmen pointed their muskets at her. Lyra sighed stepping forward.

“It’s me idiots, Colonel Heartstrings. Here’s my card.” She said grabbing her holo-card for one of them to check. One guard walked up checking the card. After a few moments of checking and rechecking the guard nodded to the others. They lowered their arms.

“State your business, Colonel. It’s unusual to see you here at this time of night.” Lyra smirked.

“Yeah, I know. I left my pill bottle in the mess. You see I have this,” Lyra started coughing and coughing sickly too causing the guard to back away. “I think it’s the pneumonia. It’s getting worse and I forgot to take my pill after lunch today because of that big thing going on.”

The guard nodded. “True, true. Things have been going haywire since that hybrid princess showed up. You’re free to go in.”

Lyra took her card from the guard that allowed her access. Lyra stuck the card in her pocket and walked into the deserted fort. Besides the night watchmen and prisoners, the fort was usually empty of ponies at night. Which was perfect for an easy drop in, but the next part would be tricky. She would have to find a way to alert the guards of a possible breakout that she started. Hopefully the children could do that and allow her and Bonbon to escape. But that would be too heartless, even by Lyra's standards.

Lyra walked through the building until she reached the dungeon door. She pulled out her card and swiped it, hearing the click of the door unlocking. She walked into the dungeon, closing the door shut behind her. She held out her hand to make a small light orb to produce a dim light then headed down the stairs into the dungeon.

As she passed the cages she would toss the keys into each cell, waking the caged souls inside. That was the replacement plan. She would give keys to the prisoners and they would cause a riot, making sure nopony would notice Lyra and Bonbon escaping.

She turned the corner and stopped, seeing the cage where the children were kept was empty. She stopped to stare and on the floor she found Miss. Petals was left abandoned on the floor of the cell. Lyra unlocked the cage and stepped inside. She knelt down and picked up the poor rag doll, feeling sadness. She sighed and stuck the doll into her shirt for later. No doubt the children have been processed and separated and taken where ever the guard sent them to.

Just learning that the children were gone made her even more determined to find Bonbon and get her out of this hellhole. Lyra walked out of the cage and started trotting to Bonbon’s cage. She reached the cage to see darkness inside. She dropped the light spell and found the key and unlocked the cage. She opened the door and ran inside. She slid on the ground casting her light spell again.

“Bonnie, it’s me, it’s time to go.” Lyra whispered frantically until her light spell came into full effect and gasped seeing Bonbon with a rag around her mouth, her eyes were wide eyed and filled with fear as tears coursed down her cheeks. “What happened?” Lyra asked pulling off the rag from Bonbon’s face.

“Lyra,” She screamed out then Lyra felt hands grab her and threw her into the back wall. Lyra shook her head as her lighting spell canceled revealing nothing but darkness. “Run Lyra!” Bonbon frantically screamed out. Lyra shook her head feeling dizzy from the hit as she tried to crawl away somewhere her body feebly following Bonbon’s order. She felt a boot kick her in the ribs causing her to cough for air then felt the same boot slam on her back forcing her on the ground coughing.

“Well, well, well, it looks like my special security system worked.” Lyra coughed recognizing the voice as a few colorful lights illuminated the cage. Lyra looked up to see three unicorn guards and the one on top of her was Lightning Bolt. Lyra snarled at him trying to get up only to feel his boot slam on her back again causing her to yell out. Lightning Bolt shook his head.

“Who would have thought? I was curious as to why you always disappear in the evenings and even that look you gave me the other day. It was a look I’m too familiar with around husbands and their wives.” Lyra snarled up at him. He laughed. “Yeah like that! Of course I always kill the bastards that were in my way or even dare to disrespect me. Hoofington is mine, it has always been mine, until you came around Heartstrings. And now the perfect soldier has a weakness and I found it out.” Lightning Bolt nodded to one of the unicorns.

One of them laughed as her hands glowed purple and lifted up Lyra from the ground before pressing her into the wall. Lightning sighed shaking his head.

“You know, it’s just not fair.” He said smirking at her. Lyra grunted with pain feeling the pressure as she clenched her fists tighter. Lightning turned to the unicorn and grinned. The unicorn winked back at him. Lyra opened her eyes to see Bonbon watching her helplessly. Lyra gasped.

“Let her go.” She growled.

“Excuse me?”

“Let the earth pony go,” she hissed. Lightning stared at her bewildered then turned to Bonbon then back at her.

“You never let me finish what I was about to say Heartstrings.” Lightning said shaking his head. “I said, that life wasn’t fair, you know why?” Lyra snarled at him for her answer. Lightning sighed shaking his head. “It’s because you were just a lowly sergeant that was transferred here from Baltimare station and just in two years you became acting commander of this whole station.” He stated, leaning closer to her face. He wagged his finger behind him. The unicorn intensified her magic, Lyra felt the shock and screamed. Lightning held up his hand to stop the shock. Lyra panted hard, hissing with pain. Lightning smiled.

“And you know something else Heartstrings? Why would I allow you to have a happy ending when it was supposed to be mine?” He whispered smiling at her. “Hoofington will be mine again and you will be taken to the Unicorn High Command and tried as a traitor of the Empire.” Lyra closed her eyes in defeat. Lightning patted her cheek to get her to look at him.

“You want to know something else? I placed special radio transmitters in this cell and I heard everything. Being involved with an Earth pony is a federal offense Heartstrings. And after I send you in I’ll be awarded the commanding officer position of this fort. I’ll have to ask to have a hologram feed of your trial and execution.” Lyra turned away from him. Lightning scowled, realizing he wasn't getting the reaction he wanted. He wanted Lyra to suffer the most painful way possible. Until his eyes met Bonbon’s and an idea was sparked. He grinned at the earth pony then back at Lyra.

“Hmm you know there are worse things than execution right?” He asked nodding to the other two unicorns. The two unicorns looked to Bonbon, then smiled at one another looking to Lightning for permission. He nodded with a wink, licking his lips.

Lyra remained silent not even looking, she just kept her eyes shut hoping and praying Cloud Kicker would get here soon.

“Lyra!” Lyra gasped opening her eyes turning to see the two unicorns unlocking Bonbon’s manacles and pulled her away. Lyra gasped, trying to get out of the magical hold as they pushed her to the ground. Lightning turned to see Lyra now focused on the earth pony. Lyra watched at what they were going to do and was quickly getting scared for Bonbon

“No, just let her go alright! I’m the one you want! Hurt me! Don’t hurt her!” Lyra begged. Lightning shook his head.

“You know Heartstrings, that’s what every stallion begged for me to do before I took care of their girls. Don’t worry, you’ll have your time.” Lyra was now scared to death trying hard to fight back. The unicorn sent out a pulse of electricity causing her to scream out. Lightning sighed nodding to the unicorns.

“Give it to her boys, then I’ll take a shot.”

“No please!” Lyra screamed out now being the one helpless to stop them.

There was a black blur from the cell door and the two unicorns were knocked to the ground away from Bonbon.

“What the?” One of the unicorns asked before his throat was slit with a dagger. The black blur dodged the second unicorn before throwing a knife at him, landing a direct hit in the throat. The unicorn fell onto the ground next to Bonbon, choking in his own blood. Bonbon screamed, backing away from him. Lightning got scared.

“Kill her!” He ordered. The third unicorn heard the command and sent out a powerful pulse of magic. The black blur threw another knife just as Lyra began screaming. The third unicorn got hit in the back of the neck with the knife and fell forward, dead before he hit the ground. The magic dissipated, and Lyra fell to the floor, unconscious. Bonbon gasped crawling over to her.

Lightning gasped, staring at the mares then at the black dressed pony. He pulled out his pistol to shoot the black dressed pony, but the pony quickly pulled out one of the dead unicorn's pistol's, firing it into Lightning Bolt's forehead. Lightning Bolt fell forward, dead.

Bonbon was in shock and awe as she stared at the dead bodies around her, then she looked up at the dark pony. The pony was still for a moment then he tossed the pistol away turning to Bonbon. Bonbon grabbed a bloodied knife, afraid that the dark savior would kill them too.

“It’s alright,” The pony said in a young male voice. “I am a friend of Colonel Heartstrings.” Bonbon gulped, staring at the stallion. She could see his wings and through the opening of his mask she can see his golden-amber eyes. After a long moment Bonbon dropped the knife and turned her attention back to Lyra. The pegasus stallion kneeled down beside Bonbon and pressed his fingers under Lyra’s jaw to feel a pulse. He let out a sigh of relief and nodded to Bonbon. Bonbon let out a cry of relief as well as she held Lyra in her arms, hugging her. The stallion patted her on the shoulder.

“Come on, I’ll get you two somewhere safe.” He said, lifting up Lyra in his arms as he stood up. Bonbon stood up then followed the stallion out of the cell and out of the dungeon. Bonbon looked around, then followed after the stallion as he ran to a secret door in the back of the fort and the three ponies escaped the fort with nopony the wiser.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lyra opened her eyes seeing nothing but the wooden ceiling. She groaned, feeling sore all over. She turned over and felt the bed sheets on top of her. She touched the sheets and gasped. She sat up, hitting her head on the wooden platform above her head groaning as she fell back in her pillow. She moaned, holding her head with her hands.

“You sure took your sweet time this time around.” Lyra gasped turning to her side to see General Cloud Kicker sitting in a chair reading a book. Lyra stared at her for a long moment then gulped.

“How-”

“About a week.”

“How-”

“Pretty bad considering you were about fried with fifty volts of electrical magic for only five seconds. You were lucky my boy got you out of there in time.”

Lyra blinked for a few moments then glared at her. “Can’t-”

“No you can’t.” Cloud Kicker said turning a page.

Lyra growled lying back in her bed, annoyed. Cloud Kicker snorted, closing her book. “Don’t you worry, I sent word to the rebels in Hoofington to hide the bodies in an alley and make it look like a drunken attack. They’re good at what they do there. We’ll be arriving at Baltimare soon, we need to pick up some things and some recruits.”

Lyra nodded. “Bonbon?” Lyra asked with worry. Cloud Kicker smiled.

“I had Thunderlane keep a close watch on her for you so you could rest and, so could she, considering she’s sick.”

“Will she be alright?”

“We gave her the good stuff Lyra, she’s better than the night we got her onboard. You got the meds too so you’re about healthy.”

Lyra nodded smiling at her. “Lightning Bolt?”

Cloud Kicker was silent for a while and winked at her. “He’s good as dead, Lyra. My boy took care of that.”

There was a knock on the door. “Enter,” Kicker ordered. The door opened and Lyra gasped, recognizing the stallion from Hoofington. The charcoal colored pegasus entered the room smiling at Kicker and Lyra. Kicker smirked at Lyra.

“Heartstrings this is Thunderlane, he’ll be taking your place in Hoofington.” Thunderlane saluted with his fist to his chest, bowing.

“It’s an honor to finally get to talk to you Colonel. Considering the circumstances I wasn’t allowed to speak with you unless it was important.” Thunderlane said smiling at her. Kicker smiled up at him then back at Lyra.

“You should thank him Heartstrings, he saved your ass, and your girlfriend’s too.” Lyra blushed at the last comment but smiled all the same to Thunderlane.

“Thank you so much, I don’t know what I could’ve done if they hurt Bonbon.” Thunderlane smiled at her.

“It was my pleasure, Colonel. I was trained to help all ponies, not just one species.” Lyra smiled at him then sighed, lying back down, getting tired. Kicker smirked at Thunderlane.

“I believe it’s time for you to head on back to Hoofington. Remember, report to me if something bad happens and keep a sharp eye out for word on Princess Octavia’s movements. Some how she got off the grid and none of my ponies can find her. And the ones I sent to Blueblood are being unresponsive.” Thunderlane saluted to her.

“Yes, General, ma’am.”

“Good, dismissed.” Thunderlane nodded then saluted to Lyra before leaving the room.

Cloud Kicker sighed, looking at Lyra as she started to fall asleep. “You deserve the rest, Colonel. I’ll be here waiting for you.” Lyra hummed her answer as she closed her eyes and slept.

Lyra woke up again some time later. She turned to ask Cloud Kicker how long she had been out, but instead saw a familiar earth pony looking at her nails.

“Bon?” Lyra whispered. Bonbon gasped, looking up to see Lyra smiling at her.

“Graceful Luna you’re awake!” Bonbon cried walking over to her taking her hand. “Are you alright Lyra?” Lyra smiled up at her, stoking her face.

“Never better.” She whispered, softly smiling, feeling tears. “Bonbon, I’m so sorry for everything.”

Bonbon leaned forward and silenced Lyra’s bantering with a kiss. Lyra kissed back until Bonbon pulled away, smiling at her.

“Let’s forget this ever happened and focus on the future, Lyra. From what that nice general told me, you now have a job in Baltimare Space station as a second command officer. And I believe that is a huge promotion compared to the one you’ll get in Hoofington.” Lyra nodded smiling.

“It is and it’s going to be a whole lot better than Hoofington, Bonnie. We’ll be with ponies that are like us. No killing, no beating, no anything that the royal guard does. And I promise you this, I’ll teach you everything I know so I will know that you can protect yourself if I couldn’t.” Bonbon smiled and nodded.

“I like that. As long as you promise me that we’ll spend more time together?”

Lyra nodded. “Are you kidding? I don’t have to hide you anymore. I can see you anytime I want without making excuses.” Lyra frowned suddenly with a thought.

“Lyra? Is something wrong?” Lyra nodded slowly.

“It’s possible that there might be a war in the future Bonnie, and if I train you I might have to train you to kill. When we find Princess Octavia, Cloud Kicker will probably want to wage war as soon as she could and that means…” Bonbon shushed her, softly kissing her on the cheek.

“We’ll worry about that when that happens.” Lyra nodded slowly with a sigh.

“Alright,”

After a moment the two heard the ship bell ringing.

“Oh I guess that means I have to leave,” Bonbon was ready to get up but felt Lyra’s hand grab her arm stopping her.

“Bon,” Lyra whispered.

“Yes?”

Lyra smiled up at her. “Can you sleep with me for a little bit? I missed you.”

Bonbon thought about it then sighed with a smile. “Sure Lyra.” Bonbon got in the bed with Lyra and the two took a long nap together.

Author's Note:

Wow, okay this was by far the longest ever one-shot I have ever written. I guess I caught the side story bug from Chengar Qordath and his Winning Pony universe stuff. (Good stories by the way check them out if you haven't already.)

So here you go the first side story to the TMS universe.

What did you guys think? Did you like it? Was it too much? Too little? Please tell me in the comments of your thoughts and what you like about this story. Here's another question, for those of you that liked this side story, do you want me to make more? I have been planning for a while to make up side stories for the characters that have major roles in the next two stories and also for those characters that haven't really been given much backstory. For example I want to make side stories for Daring Do and even Spitfire but that depends on what you guys think. If you like this tale I will make more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jan. 21st, 2014: Yay, this took a few days to edit. Huge, huge thanks to Xhoral1865 for editing this for me. He lost the editing file for the story once and had to redo all of his edits and jeez, I know that feeling when I lost all my work. It happened way too often for me while writing. Anyway, he's awesome. Ahem anyway, yep it's edited and I hope it sounds better. I feel better after getting this beast edited.

Comments ( 5 )

Wow! I was kinda pussed in the actual TMS seeing as Lyra was Royal Gaurd and also, she's my favorite. However, this story took my breath away seeing how Lyra was keeping Sweetie Drops a secret and living a double life! The story was paced evenly and I truly hope you'll (one day) consider adding an extra couple chapters! Beautifully made!

3639732
:twilightsmile: I'm happy that you enjoyed it. It was an idea that popped up since I had a secret identity type of thing for Lyra and other soldiers like Blossom and Raindrops. So I also wanted to sort of reveal this secret army through Lyra. not to worry, Lyra and Sweetie Drops(or Bonbon :unsuresweetie: I can't choose between the names) will have a future role in the last book of the trilogy. :raritywink:

So since you liked this you think I should make another one shot about a character in the trilogy?

Heck yeah you should! :D It'd be tough to pick a character that you haven't used yet though. Maybe... Give a perticular character more backstory? A few characters it'd love to see how they joined Vinyl, like Derpy for example maybe? Or another idea could be Pinkie Pie or another cameo character?

3641461
Oooh, good ones. I was already thinking of a story for Daring and Spitfire. I'm leaning to Daring since I haven't given her much of a backstory. But hmm I never thought a origin story for Vinyls crew . . . I might think of doing that next. I mean vinyls story will be revealed later I just haven't thought of the Fancy Flute crew.

As for pinkie, her story is coming in the main story soon. Book 2 gives you guys the answers on the mane six and a little bit of their pasts. :raritywink:

I do enjoy the insight on certain characters, like lyra, who may seem to be one way, but has an exremely good reason for it.

Login or register to comment