• Published 19th Nov 2013
  • 4,701 Views, 120 Comments

A 'Not So Simple' Simple Life - Wolfie 03



Applejack and Rarity live very different kind of lives and almost never see eye to eye; so when AJ finds herself curious about the unicorn, she tries to learn more about her while showing Rarity a much simpler way of life.

  • ...
16
 120
 4,701

Chapter 2 - The Fashionista

End of March, 1004 A.D. (After Discord)

The life of a fashionista is never simple; being rather complex and difficult at times, the reward fleeting but so very satisfying. A pony had to not only be up to date with all the trends but willing to make new ones as well, spending hours of dedication to their craft and profession.



This meant that other tasks fell to the wayside; one such non-essential task was keeping one's work place up to date with repairs.

Rarity, being the purely fashion minded pony, did not have any knowledge of household repairs and relied on others (typically stallions easily swayed by a fluttering of lashes) to help keep the Boutique in repair. She never forced anyone to help; she merely used what she could to find willing helpers; feminine charm and her wits.

The gray-white mare certainly wasn't expecting a time to come when she couldn't find the help she would need to prevent her house from falling down around her ears....



It was a few days after her very first Grand Galloping Gala that Rarity discovered that two of her upstairs windows wouldn't function properly; they were jamming at odd places and refusing to stay open to allow a cooling breeze in.

It was early in the day and Rarity was sure she would find somepony to help before it became a bigger issue. The gray-white mare checked with her neighbors on either side of her home only to find that they were all out enjoying the summer day; with a dainty sigh Rarity went to the market place in hopes of catching a free stallion who could help.


Two hours later and almost sweating in the slowly building heat, the gray-white mare was about to give up. Nopony was free to help and it was starting to look like she would just have to deal with broken windows for a while when a southern accent rang through the air.

“Well howdy Rarity! What brings ya out this way...? Ya look a little flustered there; ya doin' ok sugarcube?” Applejack looked on in concern at the slightly unkempt unicorn who huffed in response.

“It's the most dreadful thing! I simply can't find anypony to help me with some repairs the Boutique needs...” Rarity looked crossly at the market place when Applejack's voice brought her attention back to the apple stand.

“What needs fixin'? Ya know Ah've got tools, maybe Ah can help.” Rarity perked up and the shine came back into her eyes at the offer; while the farm pony tried to ignore why making the fashionista happy was becoming more important to her.

“Why that would be just lovely darling! When can I expect you to stop by?” Rarity combed her hoof through her mane to put it back into some semblance of style once more.

“Well shoot, give me ah moment tah take the cart back an' Ah'll be right over; wouldn't want ya tah be stuffy.” Applejack said with a smirk, slightly teasing the mare, who completely missed this fact.

“Oh, thank you so much dear; it was getting a little stuffy with this summer heat. I'll see you at the Boutique, goodbye!” Applejack couldn't help but roll her eyes as she put away the stand in order to help the unicorn who had promptly turned around and returned to her work as well as making some refreshing lemonade for her and her soon to be guest.


Two days later found the fashion pony in another repair dilemma; in the Cutie Mark Crusaders' haste to leave for more adventuring, they had broken the front door on the way out. After dissuading the fillies from trying to fix it, the gray-white mare went in search for anypony to repair it only to come up empty hoofed. It seemed to be just the kind of summer where everypony had other things to do and places to be.



The fashionista soon found herself at the market place in another vain attempt to find somepony who can help. She asked passing stallions if they could help only to find that no one was able to do so at this time; though Noteworthy, a blue with darker-blue mane stallion neighbor, said he would be able to help in the afternoon. Rarity was both pleased and annoyed by this, she wanted to find someone to fix the door sooner, but if she was unable to do so then she at least had a last resort.




After trying to find anypony to help sooner without luck, Rarity turned to leave in distress when she heard a familiar voice ring out.

“Hey there sugarcube; what's got yer tail in ah bunch this time?”

“Oh, I know I look just horrid, but I have been having the worse of luck finding somepony to help.” Applejack frowned slightly, wondering what could be wrong this time.

“Well, what's wrong?”

“The Cutie Mark Crusaders were a little... Enthusiastic... When they were leaving this morning. They knocked my door off its frame and I simply can't present my fabulous creations when my workplace is in poor shape.” Applejack's face fell as she realized that their younger sisters were the cause of the problem this time.

“Gosh Rarity; Ah'm sorry about them. Ah'll stop by once Ah get this packed away and fix it fer ya.”

“Well, I wouldn't want to impose darling, and the girls did apologize for the mess...” Rarity waved a dismissive hoof about apologizing on behalf of the girls to which Applejack crossed her hooves and shook her head.

“No can do, it's only right that Ah make it up tah ya; Ah would have helped ya in any case.” Rarity smiled gratefully at the farmer who started to pack away the apple stand.






While the gray-white unicorn left the market place, she came across Noteworthy who had been in search of the unicorn to tell her that he would be able to come over sooner to help.

“Not to worry darling, I was able to find somepony else to help. Have a nice day.” With a flip of her mane, Rarity went on her way to the Boutique.





Applejack was a little surprised at the extent of the damages, but she had come prepared and within moments the repairs was finished. Before the unicorn could say or do anything for the farm pony, Applejack was already on her way home again.



(Of all the times to find that the gutters are broken, this is the worst possible time. Not even a day after the weather team finishes one storm, another is planned the next day! All this humidity is absolutely ruining my mane! Oh I simply must find somepony who can-)

“Howdy Rarity! What can Ah do fer ya today?”

Rarity smiled coyly as she fluttered her eyelashes towards the orange mare.

“Oh Applejack, would you be a dear and lend me a hoof before the next rain? My gutters are making a mess and pouring the rain right into my shop.” Applejack smirked as she started to put everything away, she had a feeling it was something like that.

“Sure thing Rarity; Ah'll be over in ah jiffy.” With a pleased smile the fashion pony returned home to try and save her mane in the meantime.



“What do ya mean, y'all fought ah Timberwolf? Ya can't find Timberwolves unless yer in the Everfree Forest... Apple Blooom!” Applejack glared at the trio before her who gulped nervously.

The four ponies were sitting in the front yard of the Apple house; the Crusaders had just returned from trying to earn cutie marks and fighting a timberwolf pup to find Applejack about to start on her afternoon chores. In their eagerness to prove that they weren't little foals anymore, the girls had told the older mare of their fight, resulting in a concerned and angry older sister.

Realizing that Applejack was NOT appreciative of their feat, the trio tried to back track to avoid getting into more trouble, since they had actually fought the timberwolf in the Everfree Forest; a place that was forbidden for any young foal to enter.

“Well ya see, we was NEAR the forest; tryin' tah earn our tree climbin' Cutie Marks and the wolf came at us.” The rest of the Crusaders nervously agreed with Apple Bloom as they laughed lightly, trying to play down how dangerous it had been.

“Ah know ya know better than that Apple Bloom, same goes fer ya Sweetie Belle. Come on, all three of ya.” Applejack turned and began to head towards town, leading three confused fillies behind her.

“Where are we going?” Sweetie Belle asked in worried tones, not used to seeing an angry Applejack.

“We're gonnah go tah the Carousal Boutique and y'all are gonnah explain tah Rarity what happened.” The three girls cast fearful glances at one another; the whole incident was going from bad to worse for them.


The sight of an orange mare wearing a well-worn stetson was becoming rather common at the fashion mare's home; it was the sight of three extremely scruffy and downhearted fillies that drew the older unicorn's immediate attention.

“Sweetie Belle! You are positively filthy! What have you been doing, fighting trees?!” Rarity pulled her sister closer in order to see the full extent of the damages and began to make a mental list of how to fix it.

“Well, they near about did.” Applejack said as she sternly looked at the girls while Rarity whipped her head to face the farmer in shock.

“What!?” Applejack couldn't bring herself to meet the gray-white mare's eyes as she nudged her younger sister into speech.

“Tell her girls.”




As the girls gave the same basic tale to the other unicorn, they watched with dread at how annoyed the fashionista became. Once they finished the girls waited in tense silence as Rarity made various faces as she tried to control her tempter; closing her eyes, clenching her teeth, biting lips and different frowning faces would have made the trio laugh if it didn't prelude to dire consequences.

“Sweeetie Beeellleee! You know you shouldn't go near the Everfree Forest and to even get into fights is quite un-lady like. I trusted you to behave and you have betrayed that trust!” Unnoticed by the four ponies, Applejack was becoming just as downhearted as the fillies; they had been crusading on her family's farm and so she had been responsible for their safety, which was not as safe as she had wanted it to be apparently.

“What do you suggest as punishment, Applejack?” Rarity turned haughtily to the farm pony before growing concerned at the orange mare's demeanor. Just as Rarity was going to say something the farmer squared her shoulders and stood menacingly over her sister.

“Well, ah certain filly is gonnah be grounded until further notice; no crusadin'.” Rarity nodded as the trio looked as though it was all a nightmare.

“That sounds just right, darling. I shall tell our mother and father and insist on such a punishment. Thank you Applejack, but now I do believe that my sister and I shall have to talk. Good day to you all. Come along Sweetie Belle; we can't have you leaving more of a mess than you already have.” The trio said their own goodbyes before the three groups went their own ways.




As the two farmers went home in silence, both were lost in their own thoughts which were almost completely opposite from one another. While Apple Bloom lamented how they were in trouble for defending themselves, Applejack tried to not become completely depressed by thoughts of being untrustworthy or undependable to the gray-white unicorn. Knowing that she let the unicorn down weighted heavily on the older mare's mind.

(Ah bet she don't want me tah help her now that Ah proved that Ah couldn't keep her sister or any of the others safe... Ah'm ah failure as an Apple..... Maybe Ah can make it up tah her.... Sure don't want tah stop helpin' her... Though Ah'm not sure why, it's not like Ah -... Never mind; keep it simple Applejack, jus' like always. Take it one step at ah time and deal with the trouble at hoof.)



It had been a few days since the general grounding of the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Applejack hadn't seen nor spoken with the local fashionista at all; a fact that was making the farmer rather nervous. Before she could start to stress herself out, the orange mare noticed an already stressed gray-white unicorn step into the market place.

“Hey Rarity, ah, what can Ah do fer ya today?” Applejack winced at how nervous she had become though the unicorn didn't seem to notice.

“Oh, hello darling; I'm trying to find somepony who can do a decent paint job. It seems that Sweetie Belle has made a mess of my parents' house in an attempt at doing some summer homework...” Rarity thoughtfully frowned, unsure how a simple piece of homework caused the mess that it did.

Applejack tried not to fidget as she offered her services; hoping that having let the unicorn down before didn't wreck their mending friendship.

“Well, Ah can do paintin'; would ya want me tah stop by?” Rarity perked up at the suggestion; she hadn't started to search for anypony to help and to find a willing friend so quickly was a blessing for her busy day.

“Darling that would be wonderful! I have a rather busy day today otherwise I would try and do something about it myself. I shall tell my parents to expect you; when will you be able to stop by?” Rarity curiously looked at the farm pony who stared back in shock at the response; upon seeing the reaction the unicorn started to become concerned as to what was wrong.

“Why darling, whatever is the matter?”

“Yer-yer not mad at me? Fer lettin' your sister get intah trouble?” Applejack could only stare back as the unicorn went from confusion to dismissive.

“Honestly, it's the girls I'm mad at; it's not your fault for them being themselves. Why ever would you think that? You know that I appreciate all the help you give me, correct?” Rarity looked at the now smirking farmer who seemed to be much happier about something.

“Ah thought that since it was on mah family's land the girls got intah trouble you'd be upset with me. Ah'll be over in a jiffy tah help.” While Applejack began to pack up the stand, it was Rarity's turn to frown pensively.

“Nonsense darling; I wouldn't be upset with you over something you can't control. I shall let them know that you'll be by shortly; have a nice day Applejack...” Rarity tried not to stare curiously at the orange mare who seemed much chipper at the clearing up of the misunderstanding; which was another thing that the unicorn thought odd. The fashionista would have stayed longer and tried to figure out what had happened, but she did have a busy day ahead of her and couldn't be distracted.

“Sure thing sugarcube; Ah'll see ya later!” Applejack was soon on her way to get painting tools, happy that she can still help the dressmaker and that nothing was actually wrong.





In no time at all the farmer found herself at Rarity's parents' house facing a large stretch of wall that had six different colors splashed onto it, reaching from top to bottom in a disorganized fashion. The farmer looked down at the gray-white filly who scuffed a hoof along the floor as she tried to explain how the mess had come about.

“I was trying to do my paint homework and I tripped, honest! I didn't mean it, please don't be mad.” Sweetie Belle pleaded with the older mare who just smiled softly back.

“It's ok Sweetie; it was jus' an accident. Nopony was hurt right?” At the nod of agreement Applejack continued. “Then it's no problem at all. What color do yer parents want fer the wall?”

Sweetie Belle thought for a moment before lighting up in excitement.

“I think they wanted green; yep, green. Can I help?” Applejack shook her head no as the filly became downhearted once more.

“Ya need tah do yer homework; Ah'll take care of this mess.” Once the orange mare saw that the filly went back to her own work, Applejack began working on hers. She knew that she would have to paint the entire room and luckily came prepared; opening windows and covering all the furniture before going for the paint.

Applejack wasn't sure if she was hoping or dreading Rarity finding the paint job done well and wanted to change the colors of several other rooms to go along with the new coloring....



A week later found the unicorn in more distress and dire need of a handypony. Applejack wasn't sure why the gray-white unicorn always had to be extreme in her emotions but hoped that by being there to help, she wouldn't be so stressed out all the time.

“Hey Rarity how's-”

“Oh Applejack it's just dreadful!” At the interruption and half-wailing the farm pony paused to see if she could ask what was wrong or if Rarity would just continue on. After a moment of Rarity scanning the market crowds Applejack felt it was safe to ask what had gone wrong this time.

“Welp, what's wrong this time? Ah've near about fixed everythin' in the Carousel Boutique these last few weeks, did somethin' happen?”

“It's Sweetie Belle; as she was doing some chores at home she made a hole in the wall.” Applejack felt her jaw loosen and her eyes went wide; while the Crusaders were a touch destructive, it usually took all three to cause that kind of trouble.

“Shucks Rarity, Ah'll be there in no time tah help. Where is the hole?” Applejack tried to make a mental list of tools which would change depending on where the trouble was; outside walls were different than inside ones and needed slightly different tools for it.

“She wrecked one of the inside ones; Celestia knows doing what.” Rarity rolled her eyes before coming to rest on the orange farmer who nodded decisively and started on her way.

“Ah'll be right over Rarity!” With a pleased smile the gray-white unicorn returned to her parents' home to wait for the farmer.




Rarity didn't have to wait too long as within a half hour the orange earth pony was knocking at the door.


“Hello darling, please do come in. The hole is right here, between the kitchen and hallway. I just have no idea what Sweetie Belle was thinking; she seems so restless nowadays.” Rarity glared at the floor before smiling at the farmer who was pensive about both the damages and why the filly was restless; Applejack saw that somepony had tried to patch it up and didn't do a very good job but she didn't want to mention it unless the unicorn brought it up first.

“Rarity, did ya ever think that maybe, it's because of not crusadin' that's causing her tah git intah mischief? Is she still grounded?” Applejack began to tear out the patchwork and laid the ground work of beams; luckily no support beams had been hit so the building was not in structural concern, just in a general mess.

“Yes, she is still grounded... Do you really think that she just has too much pent up energy?” Rarity watched the other mare as she responded while continuing to work.

“Yeah, Ah think it might jus' be so. Besides, two weeks is pretty long and they should have gotten the point across about pickin' fights right?” Applejack focused on her work as she tried to subtly get the unicorn to un-ground the filly; the farmer was a sucker for puppy eyes and Apple Bloom had been released from her punishment two days ago.




Upon finding the last of the trio still under house-arrest, the young filly had turned to her sister to try and convince the gray-white unicorn to change her mind; something Applejack hoped she was accomplishing since Apple Bloom was just as restless and full of energy back home, making trouble without meaning it in an attempt to not be so bored.




Hearing the pensive tones from the fashion-minded mare put Applejack in a hopeful mood and she finished her work in silence; allowing Rarity to think about how much trouble her sister kept getting into as she stayed at home. By the time the hole was fixed (having taken the rest of the day to get it just perfect for a certain unicorn) Rarity was willing to concede to un-grounding the younger unicorn.


Both of the older mares were subjected to a hug of thanks before Sweetie Belle ran out to try and get some last minute crusading in before it was time for supper. As they laughed at the display, Applejack tipped her hat to the fashion mare and made her way home; pleased with how the entire day had gone. Rarity couldn't keep the smile off her face as she watched the mare leave, glad to have somepony who she could always count on to help.



As Rarity was exiting her store, Noteworthy strode forward eagerly making the unicorn pause curiously as to what he wanted.

“Hello Rarity; I happen to have the whole day free and I wanted to see if there was anything I could do for you?” The stallion smiled hopefully until he saw the slight frown as the mare shook her head no.

“Sorry dear, I'm afraid it's all taken care of. Thank you for your offer, though; have a nice day darling.” With a wave of her hoof the fashionista left the blue earth pony crestfallen at the loss of the chance to please a beautiful mare.


Rarity took her time as she walked through town, searching for a unique hat among the crowds.

“Oh Applejack! Darling, would you be a dear and help me with putting up the loveliest little painting I found the other day?” Rarity slid up to the orange mare who smiled back warmly; glad to see the unicorn relaxed and to be of help.

“Sure thin' sugarcube; Ah'll be over in ah moment.” Rarity gave Applejack a quick nuzzle in thanks before setting off back home to wait for the orange mare; not noticing the blush Applejack now wore as she went back to the farm to get the needed tools to help with yet another task for the fashionista.

Author's Note:

I actually had both of these chapters already written, so please don't expect updates by the day. Hope this points where the story is going so far.