• Published 19th Nov 2013
  • 518 Views, 7 Comments

The Other Side of the Law - Herr Director



Princess Cadence is missing, and Shining Armor must save her. But when nopony can help him, he must turn to the other side of the law for assistance.

  • ...
5
 7
 518

Going Off the Grid

It was night time in Ponyville. Most of the residents of this Bavarian style town were asleep, getting their bodies and minds prepared for the next day's work. However, some of the ponies were still very much awake.

The carriage pulled up in front of the Ponyville Saloon. Flash Sentry breathed heavily. Now that the adrenaline had worn off, he was very, very tired. He unhooked himself from the carriage and joined the other two inside the cabin of the coach.

His co-conspirators were taking out the bags of bits they had "liberated" from Blueblood's vault. Flash was astounded that they managed to make off with that much money.

"By Celestia," he said in awe. "I've never seen that much money."

Deadshot laughed. "Good thing I didn't take you into the vault. You would have been pissing yourself!"

"It was enough to surprise me!" Shining said, smiling.

Deadshot was busy counting the bags. "Okay," he said happily. "We have plenty of surplus cash. How about this." he grinned at the two. "I'll buy us all some drinks for a job well done. How does that sound."

"Err," Flash said sheepishly, rubbing the back of his head. "I don't drink alcohol."

"Don't fret, Junior," Deadshot said. "You don't have to. I'm sure there's something in there for you." He stood up. "Let's go!"

The three entered the bar. It had an average amount of customers at this time of night. A quartet of musicians played on a stage at the end of the room.

That cellist looks familiar, Shining thought to himself. Didn't she play at the Gala that one time? Deadshot stepped up to the bar. He ordered for the trio.

"We'll take one eight year bourbon, a bottle of your finest wine, and a mug of apple cider. Non alcoholic if you can." he added. The bartender nodded and prepared the drinks as the stallions sat at the counter. The drinks were passed out to them. Shining was rather embarrassed, but flattered that his cousin had ordered him the full bottle of wine. It seems like he was trying to build up his image from the dark side that Shining had witnessed in the bank. Flash received his cider and Deadshot his bourbon. He drained the glass of amber just as the band stopped playing. Deadshot stood up and turned to the other two.

"I'll be back soon," he assured. "There's something important I gotta take care of." and with that, he left, following the band through the back door.

Shining used the now empty glass of bourbon to pour his wine. He turned to Flash

"Flash," he began, his voice low. "There's something important I gotta take care of as well. It's about the bank."

"Okay, what happened?" Flash leaned in, interested.

"When we were in the bank, there were guards that we didn't expect to be there. He," Shining gestured toward the back door in which Deadshot had left. "killed them in cold blood without blinking." Flash's jaw inched it's way toward the ground until it could physically go no lower without hurting Flash. "Just think if those guards had been you or me. We'd be dead without a second thought on his part.

Flash looked confused. "Are you saying he can't be trusted?"

Shining shook his head. "No. I can't believe I'm saying this, but he seems like he's for real. I'm saying that we need to be careful around him."

The two sat in silence and did not speak until Deadshot returned and told them to return to the carriage. A few minutes later they arrived at the hotel they were staying at that night. Deadshot dismissed the stallion he had paid to pull the coach. He opened the back compartment of the coach. Inside were two double bass cases.

"Shining, help me levitate one of these and follow me." Shining obliged. The three walked to the edge of town, the cases floating eerily behind them. The night was very cold and dark. Deadshot stopped them at the river. "Pop the cases." he instructed. Shining opened his case. The large violin like instrument sat there. Nothing seemed special or unusual about it.

"Any reason why you bought two of these?" Shining questioned. "I don't think any of us know how to play anyways."

"It's not the instruments we're after," Deadshot's eyes twinkled, as if he was telling a joke. "It's what's inside. that counts." Deadshot felt over the instruments for a moment. He undid a secret latch on each one. The fronts of the instruments swung open to reveal an astounding and frightening sight.

The bodies of two ponies lay inside the wooden frames. One, a unicorn was stark white, the other, a pegasus, was a soft orange. Both had blue manes. their cutie marks looked very familiar. There was no sound from any of the three. At last, Flash broke the silence.

"Hold on," he said in shock. "That's us, isn't it."

Deadshot nodded. "That's right. Had these bad boys made when you agreed to join me. Turned out pretty good, wouldn't you say?"

"Why did you make clones of us?" Shining said. "And what happens when they wake up?"

Deadshot had an answer as always. "They ain't fully developed yet." he explained. "Right now, they're in some kind of coma. They won't wake up, and they won't feel pain. The only problem is, they aren't you exactly. They're you from two days ago when the sample was taken. I still don't know how Tavi grows them so fast. Luckily, that discrepancy is almost undetectable for now. Though it will be strange when your bodies don't age."

Flash understood now. "So what do we do with them and why do we need them?" he asked.

"This is your guys' alibi." Deadshot took Shining's body and broke off the clone's horn with a sickening snap. He then beat the clone Shining's face in with his hoof. He kicked the bloodied body several times and dumped it into the river. He did similar violent acts to Flash's clone and dumped that into the river as well. "While you're getting treated in the Canterlot hospital, nopony will realize that it's really us that's getting into all the trouble we will no undoubtedly get into." Deadshot grinned evilly. "That's also called anger management." The two other stallions cringed, and Deadshot burst out laughing. "I'm kidding on that last part!" he said. Now let's get back to the hotel. There's something very important you guys need to see back at the hotel."

The three arrived back at the hotel room. It was cozy but small, and there was only one double bed. Deadshot took out a file with papers in it.

"Let me see," he rummaged through the file. "Ah yes!" He cleared his throat and read: "The first part of our operation went smoothly. The package has been obtained and nopony suspects a thing. Once we get the package to Trottingham, everything else will be a piece of cake." Deadshot looked skeptical. "This sounds like some shady royal deal or some strange like that. I know this may seem crazy, but I think that this is worth investigating. And no Shiny, that ain't the money talking this time." Deadshot put away the papers and flopped onto the couch.

"I don't know about you two," Deadshot said, "but I got the couch. You better hope Junior doesn't roll over in his sleep, Shiny. Get some sleep, tomorrow we take off for Trottingham." Tired as ever, Flash had already climbed into bed and was snoring away peacefully. This astounded the Mob boss. "Cripes. I've never seen anypony conk out that fast."

Shining hesitantly got into the bed next to Flash. He made sure to stay as far away from the snoozing corporal as he could as he heard snoring coming from the couch now as well.

Half an hour passed and Shining still lay in bed staring at the ceiling. It had nothing to do with his sleeping co-conspirators. He was worried. Worried about one mare in particular.

What will Twily think of me? he asked himself. "I need to see her before we leave for Trottingham tomorrow." he mumbled softly. Quietly , he got up out of the bed and left the hotel in search of the Golden Oaks Library. I have to say goodbye.

Twilight Sparkle could never say no to a good, late night study session. She lay awake on the floor of her library, a single candle next to her lighting the book she was reading. Nearby, Spike had made himself a sort of bed made out of the books Twilight had finished reading and was a sleep. Twilight was interrupted by a knock at the door of the library. She nudged her number one Assistant awake.

"Hey Spike, can you get that?" Twilight asked. Spike blinked and shook the sleep crust from his eyes.

"Huh, what?" he looked around groggily. There came a few more knocks "Oh, yeah. Sure thing." Twilight was confused. Who was visiting her at this hour? Spike opened the door, and Twilight heard a very familiar voice. One that she loved and cherished.

"Hey Spike. Is Twily home?" The voice of her brother was like a warm cup of chocolate on a cold day for Twilight, as she had not seen her brother for a very long time.

"Hey B.B.B.F.F." Twilight said as Shining Armor entered the room. "How has it been going?" Suddenly sadness came over her as she remembered. "How are you taking the news?"

Shining smiled. "It's been tough. But it could be worse." He sat next to her. "I just wanted to see you. I want to let you know that I'm gonna find Cadence."

"But Princess Celestia said that there weren't enough guards to mount a search and rescue." Twilight said, her voice rising slightly.

Shining rested a hoof on her back, calming her. "I know. It's an unofficial operation." he said. Then, he leaned in close to her. "But there's something important you need to know. He shifted a bit. "Soon, you will no doubt hear some unusual things about me. Some of them may seem kind of scary. But I want you to know that no matter what you hear, no matter what you are told, I'm fine, and I'm doing my best to save Cadence. You can't tell anypony I was here, okay?"

Twilight started. "But what about-

"Okay?" Shining looked very serious now, and Twilight knew he was not joking around.

"Okay. I promise." She sighed. "Just be careful."

Shining kissed her on the cheek. " I will. Just remember that no matter what, I'm fine, and I'm looking for Cadence." He stood up. "I love you Twily. Goodbye." And with that, he teleported out of the library.

Spike walked over to her. "Geez Twilight," he said. "What do you think that was all about?"

Twilight hung her head. "I don't know Spike. I just don't know." She walked over to the window and looked up at the night sky. A solitary tear made its way down her cheek and on to the floor. "Oh Shining, what kind of trouble have you gotten yourself into now?"

Author's Note:

What is Blueblood's mysterious package? What awaits our Heroes in Trottingham? How many more Background Ponies will be referenced in this story? Tune in next chapter on "The Other Side of the Law".