• Published 19th Nov 2013
  • 3,921 Views, 101 Comments

Soldiers Remnants of Us - Ribe_FireRain



A soldier awakes after an attack on his team and when he does, he finds he is no longer on the battlefield, but in a strange new world: Equestria

  • ...
20
 101
 3,921

Lost and Reunited

Author's Note:

I've taken the other chapters down and am now starting again from where it is applicable to do so. Also, It was going nowhere so I had no ideas, but now I do.

Still got a ways to go before I finish this book, and no, there is no sequel, as I took it down and unsubmitted it.

Ann ran fast as he ventured into the never ending darkness of the cold cave, assault rifle in his now sweating hands as he darted corner to corner, looking for traces of the Sergeant with very little luck.

As he was running he heard screams in the distance. It wasn't that loud, but it was enough to catch his attention, so without further delay, he began to run towards the noise.

The corners of the cave were getting sharper and sharper beyond each turn, water covering the floor from a nearby water source that sent droplets through the ceiling, dripping down drop by drop, covering the floor with them, creating a glossy-like gleam.

'Louis! Paul! Where are you!? Answer me!!' Ann's voice echoed loudly throughout the cave walls, sending them further down the twisting and cracked paths.

He waited for a response, but received none. Not even a shout back, when all of a sudden he heard a low and angry growl.

As he tried to focus on the whereabouts of the noise, he readied his gun and pulled back the safety switch to 'Fire mode', awaiting a target.

A pair of big glowing green eyes illuminated in the darkness like a dim flame, and Ann instantly opened fire, knowing what it was.

The timber wolf roared as bullets swept through it's thick and thin wooden joints, throwing wooden splints in their wake as the shells jumped through the smoke.

The loud roar of the gun shuddered deeper into the cave, where surely more timber wolves could hear it.

The gun stopped firing and as the smoke now surrounding the air grew thinner, Ann could easily make out that he had shredded up the timber wolf in a massacre of bullets, and wasted about half of his magazine, leaving 15 spare unfired bullets left to use, along with one spare magazine for his assault rifle and 4 for his 9mm pistol.

'Jesus Christ...give me a fucking break....'

-------

In the long, towering thrashes of the Everfree Forest, the six ponies were trotting along with Rainbow resting on Applejack's back as they continued the journey towards Ponyville.

'We shouldn't be far now girls, c'mon, we need to get moving if we wanna get outa this without being spotted by a timber wolf.'

Applejack spoke softly to her friends, in case any pony-eating predators were about lurking in the shadows.

'I...I'm worried about Rainbow...what that Sergeant did was just so cruel!' Fluttershy spoke with anger in her voice as she tried to contain it, with few tears forming in her eyes as she glared at Rainbow's unconscious body.

'I hear ya. He's just a jerk, and what he did to Rainbow was just so unforgivably cruel.'

SNAP!

The group froze still, slight shivers ran down their spines as their eyes dilated around them for the source of the noise.

'Ya'll hear that?' 'Somethings near us...'

'H-Hello?' Twilight called out, but heard nothing.

Silence can't be good at a moment like this. The only audible sound in all the forest in this very moment was the small sound of leaves rustling as the cold night winds swung amongst them.

At that moment, a faint growl caught their attention, startling the ponies as they became slightly paralyzed with fear.

Fluttershy, being the most frightened out of the others remembered that Ann gave her his combat knife. She opened her wing, where she had the knife and picked it up in her mouth by the handle.

Knowing she had something to protect her and her friends made her feel a whole lot safer,but in a mere second, the most horrific thing that could possibly scare her jumped out of the bushes and stared right at her with it's glowing, light green eyes.

The wooden wolf's stare pierced her large cyan eyes and even her very soul, driving her fear to the max.

with no hesitation, her friends ran, but Fluttershy couldn't move, she was too paralyzed with fear to even move a single muscle.

'FLUTTERSHY! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?! RUN! RUN!' Twilight called out to the yellow Pegasus but she didn't react to her calls.

She stood there, helpless and full of fear and unable to move her body in the slightest.

Twilight knew her friend was in danger, and before anything was going to happen to her, she used her magic to levitate the timber wolf off of it's feet and smash it into a tree.

The timber wolf screeched in panic as she lifted it from the floor, and in seconds, it became nothing but a pile of sticks and sap and leaves.

Twilight hurriedly ran towards Fluttershy and grabbed her hoof to get her to move, but couldn't move.

'Fluttershy! Move! We need to go!'

'Mmmk--khgh...' Mumbles of fear left Fluttershy's mouth as her lips quivered in fear.

'Oh, come on!'

Twilight lifted Fluttershy up with her magic and carried her in a purple aura as she ran along to catch up with her friends.

'Oh, Celestia.....I hope that Ann is alright...'

--------

Ann had been walking for ages, for what seemed to be hours but finally came across what he was looking for.

He came across a long, big room that had all different coloured gems covering the wall from ruby's to sapphires to emeralds to diamonds.

Amongs all the glistening gems were several corpses of ponies that must at least be 50 to 100 years of age. Some of them were wearing cowpony hats with light brims and dark colours while the other ones appeared to be feminine and had old drapes and gowns that were torn and scratched in various places, most likely from the day they were attacked.

Ann looked over to the corner of the room, trying carefully to spot Louis and Paul, and after a while of looking around he found them.

Paul was lying on his back in a pool of his own blood with several scratch and bite marks covering his face and chest while Louis was slouched against a wall with his left eye missing with blood oozing out of the wound, along with his own blood covering his fatigues from collar to bottom.

Ann's jaw dropped in shock as he saw his former teammates dead before his eyes. He felt lost inside as his only friends lay dead before him as he felt his blood begin to boil with rage.

He walked into the stone room where the temperature was even colder in here than near the entrance as he found as he ventured closer in the room.

As he walked to the other end, the disembodied limbs and guts of the once living ponies squelched beneath Ann's feet, making sickening sounds as he treaded on top of them.

Once he reached Paul's and Louis's bodies, he knelt down and carefully removed their dog tags and gave them a salute each.

'It's been an honour serving with you. Just like old times, I'm forever alone...'

A growl caught Ann's attention, and he turned around, eyeing the wooden wolf with nothing but hatred for what it did to his team.

'You wooden piece of shit! You killed my team! When I'm through with you, you will be nothing but pile of wooden shards!'

Without saying another word, Ann charged at the menacing beast and jumped on top of it, throwing punches rapidly at it's hard, wooden face.

'You like that, you prick!?' Ann taunted the beast as he continued throwing punches at the restrained wolf.

The wolf didn't even get fazed one bit by Ann's attacks, but instead bit down hard on his arm with great force, shaking it's head wildly, making the pain grow stronger as the wooden teeth sank deeper into his flesh.

Blood instantly began to squirt out of the wound in Ann's arm as he let out a blood curdling scream of agony.

He desperately tried to pry the wolves mouth from his arm, in hope to free it but it was of no use. Ann wasn't strong enough to force the maws of the beast from his arm, rendering him helpless.

He had no way of fighting back, since he gave his knife to Fluttershy, making him even more useless in the means of defense when he realized something....he had Paul's lighter.

He immediately used his free hand to search his pockets and eventually pulled out the chrome plated lighter.

Upon taking it out, he flipped the lid off and used his thumb to ignite the flame in a spark.

He stared one last time at the glowing eyes of the mystical creature and without thinking, he stuck the lighter into the beasts neck, instantly engulfing it in a hot blaze of red fire.

It began to howl in agony as it panicked, releasing Ann's arm as it did so and began running around like a helpless child, not knowing what to do in the current situation, but what else could a stupid wooden mutt do?

Seeking his chance, he picked up his assault rifle shot the rest of the rounds into the wolf, smashing loosened pieces of half burned wood to shreds upon impact like a firework.

Withing minutes of the wolves agonizing howls, it had burned to ashes. Knowing that it was over, Ann gave a heavy sigh as he covered his now blood smeared hand, in relief that he could finally rest.

He left without saying anything else other than one thing: 'Fucking mutt...never liked dogs in the first place...'

---------

Back in Ponyville, the girls finally made it back safely with Rainbow and got her to the hospital.

They all sat around Rainbow's bed, watching her as she slept, in hope that she was okay, while they also thought about Ann and Louis.

Bad thoughts ran through their heads since they last saw him. Was he dead or alive? Was he okay?

It was now morning, the day after they last saw Ann.

They waited a good few hours before they heard a moan coming from Rainbow's mouth. All of them paused, feeling relieved that she wasn't dead or very badly hurt.

'Ugh...W-What happened..?'

'Rainbow! You're okay! I thought we'd lost you!' Twilight said with a smile of relief as she hugged Rainbow, her friends doing the same.

'Oh, we were so worried!' A teary Applejack spoke up.

Rainbow looked around, expecting to see Ann and Louis, but saw no trace.

'Hey, where are Ann and Louis?'

At that moment her mind thought of the worst.

'Rainbow....I don't know how to tell you this but...' Twilight began as they all looked down at the floor with tears forming in their eyes.

Before Twilight could finish her sentence, she was interrupted by the door opening and a certain person coming inside.

It was Ann. Blood was dripping down his arm, covering the side of his white undershirt in a shade of dark red. His hair was frazzled and his eyes had black bags hanging underneath them.

'ANN!' They all shouted in unison as they all ran up to hug him.

'Thank Christ you're all alright...especially you Rainbow. Good to see you look better than before.'

Rainbow blushed lightly as she stared Ann in the eyes.

'I missed you, too. Nice to see that you're still moving and alive.' Squeed Dash in return as she gave him a smile.

'Where are Paul and Louis?'

Ann looked down at the floor as he was asked the question, tears forming in his eyes as he reached into his pocket and pulled out their dog tags.

The ponies gasped in horror as Ann displayed the bloody chains and tags in his hand as they dangled off his thumb.

'They're dead. Now I'm on my own.'

'Oh, Ann, I'm so sorry...' Fluttershy patted Ann on the shoulder as she looked at his face, and without looking up, he hugged the yellow Pegasus in a friendly embrace.

'Things are never going to be the same again...I'm going to miss them...even if Paul was a bitch to you all, including me.'

His words fell silent as he sat down in the corner, crossing one arm over his wounded arm, yelping in pain as he breathed through gritted teeth.

'Oh my gosh! Are you alright? Your bleeding!' Fluttershy looked at him with concern.

'Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. Just...need to rest for a while...'

Ann grew silent for a moment, leaning his head against the wall as he recollected memories of his team while they were at war for the first time, remembering all the good times they had.

He thought of one thing: Things are never going to be the same again. They died with honour...I'll never forget them. Ever.

All of the ponies shared glances of sorrow for Ann until he spoke up after moments of being silent.

'Rainbow...I'm sorry he did that to you..I know he was a bitch, but not a cruel bastard with a cold enough heart to do that..apart from when we were at war back home.'

Ann didn't make eye contact as he spoke, but instead looked at the floor as he stood with his good arm covering the open wound on his bloody arm from the timber wolf bite.

'T-That's okay, Ann...I-I'm sorry that that had to happen to him and Louis..they were good men.'

Ann sighed softly

'What are we going to do about them since they are gone? I can't leave them buried out there in the darkness....Ryan, Curtis, Paul and Louis all need to be buried...It's the least that I could do for them, especially after all the time I spent with them in war.'
Upon thinking those names, he recalled not seeing one of them for a long time: Parker.

'Oh. Shit....' He spoke slowly.

Twilight looked up to him with concern and wonder in her eyes.

'What? What's the matter?'

''Where's Parker? Have any of you seen him?''

The ponies all looked at each other, exchanging confused glances.

''We don't know, sugarcube...can anyone remember when and where we saw him last?''

''C'mon, he must be somewhere! He can't of just disappeared in an instant.'' Ann said aloud, confusion building up in him and the ponies.

''Wait...I'm going to look for him at the library. He's gotta be there...he just gotta be! Wait here, I'll be back soon.'' Ann said as he climbed to his feet and walked to the door.

''Ann, wait.'' Twilight called.

Ann stopped in his tracks.

''Hmm?''

''I'll come with you.''


''Parker, you in here?'' Ann called as he came in through the libraries front door, but got no response.

''Parker?''

''Maybe he's not here?'' Twilight spoke up from behind Ann.

''No, he's gotta be here. There ain't no place else I think he'd go.''

Ann went upstairs, checking the bathroom, bedroom and guest room and study area, but found no trace of Parker, other than his pistol he left on the table, still loaded with bullets. He finally went downstairs and checked the basement, calling out his name but got no response. He walked down the the stairs, feeling the smooth, varnished wooden wall for the light switch, upon eventually feeling it, flicking it on. The room immediately lit up with a bright, white light and right at the back of the room, he saw who he was looking for.

Parker was sat with his back against the wall, letting out an almost silent snore as he slept peacefully. Ann isn't a lone wolf after all, suddenly warming his heart a little bit.

''Hey, Twilight, I found him!'' Ann called up the stairs, Twilight soon coming down the staircase at her name.

''Really?! Oh...has he been down here the whole time? What could he possibly of been doing down here alone?''

''Parker?'' Twilight called in an attempt to awake Parker from his slumber. ''Parker!''

No response. Her answer was only met with more nearly inaudible snores.

''Twilight, cover your ears.''

''What? Why?''

''This'll wake him up...''

Ann reached into the back of his trousers where he had placed Parker's pistol and lifted it into the air with his hand, pulling back the hammer before pulling the trigger, sounding a loud bang that made Twilight flinch and instantly awakening the Lieutenant with a jolt.

''AHH! What?! Where?! Who's there?!'' Parker jerked around quickly, his assault rifle in his arms, swinging back and forth as he hurriedly aimed around the area out of shock.

''Hey! Relax, Parker, it's me, Ann. Calm down will you?'' Ann motioned for him to calm down with his hand.

''Oh, jesus, Ann! Don't do that! Huh? Oh, hi, Twilight..'' He waved at her, Twilight waving back with a small crimson blush appearing on her pretty purple cheeks.

''Hi, Parker.''

''Parker...what where you doing down her- Hold on... is that my granddad's diary?'' He pointed to the worn black book next to Parker's boot.

''Uh...yeah...I guess it is...''

''Where you down here the whole time reading that thing?''

''Umm..yeah, I was. Some pretty interesting stuff in there, too. But, Ann? How come you never mentioned anything about this before? You know, about how Rainbow met your granddad and how they saved each other's lives and stuff?''

''Parker, I didn't even know that diary existed until a few months ago. I only ever heard Rainbow's name a few times as a reference in the first book back at his old apartment.''

''Well, Parker, you'd better come with us.''

''Why? Everyone alright?''

''No. Rainbow's in hospital with a broken skull and minor blood loss because the sergeant knocked her into a wall, and as for the rest of our team...'' Ann reached into his trouser pocket, taking out Louis's and Paul's bloody dog tags, displaying them to Parker, who's mouth was now agape as he took hold of them, a stray tear sliding down his cold cheek.

''You can't be serious...''

''I am, Parker. Everyone else is dead. Including Ryan.''

''Ryan?! He was like a brother to me!'' Parker cried.

''I know, out of all of us, he was the nicest friend we ever had. But hey, our other friends are waiting for us, we should probably get to the hospital with them.''


''You're back!'' Chimed a happy and excited Pinkie Pie as she bounced towards Twilight and Ann, pulling them both into a big hug, nearly taking the wind out of them both.

''Pinkie...e-easy...I can't breathe..'' Twilight coughed through her friend's unbelievable strength, Ann doing the same.''

She stopped, frozen like the rest of her friends when Parker came in, still carrying David Bishop's diary from the Second World War.

''Parker?! Oh, my Celestia! Where have you been?!'' Pinkie grinned as she and the rest of the friends tackled him to the ground in a friendly embrace.

''Whoa, whoa! Easy, girls!'' He gagged. ''Missed you all, too.'' He smiled as he returned the hug individually.

''Where ya'll been, sugarcube?''

''I've been at the library, reading this diary. And Christ, is this thing long! I'm not even a third of the way through it yet!''

Rainbow looked at the worn, black leather diary from her hospital bed, recognizing it instantly.

''Is that David's diary?'' She pointed her cyan hoof to it.

''Huh? Oh, yeah, it is. Why? You ever read it before?''

''Yeah, not read all of it though, and I've had the thing for like a couple years or so.''

''Rainbow?''

''Yeah, Parker?''

''What happened to you?'' He pointed to the bandage wrapped firmly around her head.

''Paul uppercut me into a wall when we was in a cave because I called him a granddad.'' She frowned, yet giggled a little at the memory.

''Ha. Well, fair enough. He kind of was a granddad sometimes.''