• Published 19th Nov 2013
  • 3,921 Views, 101 Comments

Soldiers Remnants of Us - Ribe_FireRain



A soldier awakes after an attack on his team and when he does, he finds he is no longer on the battlefield, but in a strange new world: Equestria

  • ...
20
 101
 3,921

Just Like Old Times

'MAJOR!' Ann screamed at the top of his lungs as he saw Louis get dragged off and deeper into the woods where darkness peeks around every corner.

He had to act fast, and really fast. He grabbed Louis's assault rifle and ran after him, into the daring maws of the Everfree Forest.

'Ann!' Rainbow called, but got no response, by time she had shouted, he had disappeared into the darkness.

'I..I won't leave him, I just can't!' Rainbow flapped her wings and soared into the sky, watching overhead for Ann.

She knew he would possibly tell her to go back, but nothing he could say to her would change her mind.

She stayed beside his granddad and will stay beside him.

Applejack, Fluttershy, Twilight and Rarity called after her but she, as well, didn't stop to waste time.

Ann was running as fast as his legs would allow him, he couldn't see much, not aware of the far sticking out branches that may trip him.

He ran a short ways before he could hear the Major's groans through the silence of the night and lifeless forest.

'Major? Where are you!? I'm coming to get you, just hold on!' Ann's voice trailed off into the darkness, not receiving a response from Louis.

When he heard no response, he thought of the worst, but knew that it was his duty to find him and make sure he wasn't harmed, or worse.....

'WHERE ARE YOU?!'

Ann could hear the sound of wings fluttering through the air and when he looked up toward the night sky, he saw it was none other than Rainbow Dash.

'Ann! Stop, please!' Rainbow landed in front of him, making pockets of dust puff into the air.

'If you do this alone, you'll die! I don't wanna lose you, too.' A tear stroked Rainbow's cheek, catching Ann a little off guard.

'Huh? Rainbow, I won't be killed by some wooden wolf, I'm going to go after Louis, I have to, he's one of my only friends who survived by my side in war. Don't worry, I won't be going for good.'

Ann said as he held onto Rainbow's shoulder with one hand for reassurance.

'Don't worry about me, I can handle this.'

Before he continued to run, he leaned closer to Rainbow and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

Dash blushed a little bit, Ann doing the same, but he turned away and ran after giving her a final wave goodbye.

Twilight and the rest of her friends caught up with her, but soon stopped beside her as she stood still, looking to where Ann had been standing.

'Rainbow what happened? Where's Ann?' Twilight spoke in worry, but soon realized that Rainbow was crying.

'Rainbow...whats wrong? Did something happen to him?' She placed a hoof on Rainbow's shoulder, only to be taken back by Rainbow pulling her into a hug.

'Twilight...he's gone after the timber wolf and Louis...I...I...don't know if he will come back....'

Rainbow began crying on Twilight's shoulder uncontrollably as thoughts swam through her head. Horrible thoughts...Losing Bishop was enough, she didn't know if she could handle losing another friend...especially one related to Bishop.

Ann continued to run through out the forest in search of Major Louis, but had no luck so far. He called out and heard nothing. Nothing except the sound of the wind brushing through the leaves that hung of the end of the towering trees.

Being in the Everfree sure didn't make you feel free...in fact, it made Ann feel a bit claustrophobic and felt almost like being in a maze in a prison that was inescapable.

'Major! Can you hear me! Answer me!'

Silence.

The silence surrounding Ann's ears was only interrupted by the rustling of wind through branches, causing them to sway and creek and the sound of leafs fluttering lightly around him.

A few moments passed and to his surprise, he heard screaming and gunshots in the distance.

He ran toward the light that he assumed was the gunshots, and once he got there, he was shocked to see who it was.

The area was filled with smoke and broken bits of wood, that were presumably once timber wolves.

Once the smoke had cleared, he saw who it was. It was not Louis, but the Sergeant.

He was holding Ryan's revolver in his hands that were both bloody and sweaty. He had cuts torn through his army fatigues
and blood dripping down his forehead to his ear.

Ann was shocked at what he'd seen, not to mention he was shocked at the Sergeant being here. How did he know that they were here? Did he know, or was he here to get some quiet?

He slowly walked up towards the blood covered Sergeant, but as he did, he stepped on a small branch, making it snap, catching his attention.

He fired once, making the gun roar in a flash of light and shooting a projectile at the floor near Ann's feet, making the dirt fly up from the ground, making a bullet hole in the earth.

He gave Ann a devilish glare as he looked him dead in the eye, as he slowly pulled back the hammer on the revolver, preparing for the next shot, sending Ann's nerves shaking in fright.

'Sarge, don't point that at me...' Ann said out loud with his hands in the air.

'Stay where you are! I don't know what they are, but I'm not taking any chances!' He barked at Ann, making him back away.

'Look, Sarge...Louis got dragged off somewhere by one of those....wolf things, we need to find him, before something happens to him.'

Ann motioned for him to lower the gun, noticing that it was Ryan's gun.

'Is..is that..? Ryan's gun...?' He pointed a finger at the gun in Paul's hand.

Paul said nothing but gave a nod in response.

'You...H-How did you get it...?' Ann said lowly as he kept his eyes fixed on the Sergeant.

'He was dead in the library, and I had no weapon, so I took his revolver. He had a bullet through his shoulder blade.'

Ann's eyes widened in horror.

'D-D-D-Dead? DEAD?! Ryan?!' He balled at the Sarge in a sad outrage.

'Yes, he's dead. I overheard Curtis and him arguing at each other as I was waking up, then a gunshot.' 'I heard Louis say he was going after Curtis, so when I came out, I grabbed his revolver and followed him and you to this forest.'

Ann raised a brow at the Sergeant, who still had his eagle-like stare fixed to his eyes, gun still pointed in his direction.

They both stared blankly at each other but were soon interrupted by a faint humming sound and glowing green light coming from all around them.

The limbs of all the timber wolves were being levitated above them as they started to fix together, piece by piece, eventually reforming the timber wolves that the Sergeant had recently blown to shreds.

'Wha-What is happening?!' Paul shouted out loud.

'I don't know...but it doesn't look good..we should probably run...'

'Lets get out of here!'

They both ran through the thick, green and tall bushes and hurriedly tried to find a way out...any way out, just as long as it was away from those wooden wolves!

They could already hear the roars and howls coming from behind them, but didn't stop to waste any time.

They ran far and fast, eventually running out of breath from their long strides across the forest floor.

'Do...D-Do you think we lost em'?' Ann said through short breaths as he looked behind the tree for incoming timber wolves, the Sergeant doing the same.

'No, not yet, we would be able to smell their acidic breath if they were near us.'

They both listened in silence for any sudden movements around them, but so far nothing apart from the rustling of leaves in the wind above them.

Crunch, crunch

Something was coming from behind the bushes, they could both hear it growing faster every second, Autumn leaves being crunched on the floor by feet, making the sound of scrunched up paper.

The noise got louder and louder as the two teammates breaths quickened.

They both heard a small whimper coming from behind the tree on the other side, so they slowly lowered their lines of sight and looked from the sides of the tree to find it was none other than Rainbow Dash and her friends.

She and her friends were all looking around like they saw something disturbing....even more disturbing than Curtis's mauled and mangled body.

Ann came from behind the tree to become visible to the ponies walking his way.

'Psst! Rainbow...' He spoke in a low whisper. 'Over here.'

Rainbow screamed shortly out loud with a yelp and jumped back, startled.

'AHHH! Jesus, Ann, don't do that, don't you know better than to spook a pony?' Rainbow gave a face of both fright and annoyance.

'Shh! sorry about that, Rainbow, just hurry up and get yourselves behind here with us, they're coming!'

With no response, the ponies all nodded and the six of them hurried to the tree where Paul and Ann were hiding.

As they all got around the back of the tree with Ann and Paul, the first pony Paul looked at was Rainbow, with a smirk of annoyance on his face.

'Fuck sake...is there ANYWHERE I can get away from you?!' A slight hint of anger in his voice was enough to know he wasn't in the right mood.

'Nice to see you, too, Sarge.' Rainbow gave him a weak grin.

'Just don't say anything to piss me off, or we are going to fallout together.'

'Seriously?! Why don't you two both shut and leave each other alone? There is enough heartache to know we are back in some kind of fight with some kind of wooden wolf....the last thing we want now is to have a war between you and Rainbow.'

'End it now, or I will just leave and let myself get killed, I can't stand all this war bullshit! It was bad enough at home!'

Ann sounded serious and was clearly frustrated by the bad blood going on between Rainbow and Paul. All he wanted to do is save the Major and find a way back home.

'All right then. Rainbow, I don't talk to you, you don't talk to me, got it?' Paul raised a brow and stuck his hand out towards Rainbow.

'Right. No more of this chit chat between us then.' Rainbow put out her hoof into Paul's hand and gave a shake after he closed his fingers gently around it.

'Ann, is it? They are called timber wolves. They are the thing we ponies fear the most, its mostly the reason we stay out of the forest.'

Twilight informed Ann.

'A what? Timber wolf? Is there any way to kill them?'

'Erm....we aren't exactly the violent type...but..every time you 'kill' one, it would just built itself back together with magic, the only thing to burn wood is fire, but thats all there is to-'

An idea burst out of Ann's mouth as he interrupted Twilight.

'Fire! Of course! Sarge, you got your lighter or some of your beer with you?'

Paul tapped around his fatigues for his lighter, making small ruffles on his uniform as he did so.

'Hmmm...yeah. Here.'

He showed him his chrome plated lighter with the word 'Suck on This' engraved onto it's surface and lightly threw it into Ann's hands.

'Cheers. Beer?'

'Nah, sorry, Bish, I drank the last bottle of Echo Falls.'

Ann groaned at the Sergeant. 'You pig.'

TO BE CONTINUED.....

Author's Note:

I'm very fucking tired and stressed from work, also this chapter is going to be longer than the rest of them, so bear with me and it will be out next week at some point, just not now, like I said, I'M EXHAUSTED!

Oh, and for those of you who don't get the title 'Just like old times' , It is merely saying that because with the wolves after them, with the soldiers killing them to survive, its like being back at war at hom on the battlefield