• Published 19th Nov 2013
  • 3,920 Views, 101 Comments

Soldiers Remnants of Us - Ribe_FireRain



A soldier awakes after an attack on his team and when he does, he finds he is no longer on the battlefield, but in a strange new world: Equestria

  • ...
20
 101
 3,920

Acquaintance

It didn't take long for the group of soldiers, along with Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash to find their way to Twilight's library, but as soon as they got there the group of reunited soldiers sat down together at Twilight's table.

The inside of the library was clean, and shiny, almost like all the wood has been finely varnished and polished.
It almost reminded them of what it felt like to be back in their country with their families in their homes, not having a care in the world about danger.

Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash sat at the opposite side of the table, Pinkie having her usual childish grin as she looked up at Ryan and the others, and Rainbow Dash doing the same but concentrating more on Sergeant Edwin who was giving her a smug look.

'So...what are we doing here, exactly?' Curtis said with a hint of confusion in his voice.

'Well, er...' Rainbow spoke up before Pinkie interrupted.

'Oh, silly, you're going to meet our friends and maybe play a game! What do you like? Bingo? Pin the tail on the donkey? or maybe...'

Rainbow Dash shoved a hoof into Pinkie's mouth to stop her from rambling.

'Pinkie!'

Dash continued

'Be patient, there is plenty of time while we are waiting, I just don't understand why they aren't all here yet.'

'But since we are here already, you might as well introduce yourselves.'

Rainbow Dash said with a puff as she caressed her rainbow mane.

Upon response to the question, all the soldiers looked awkwardly at each other and stood up one by one and saluted the two mares.

Well, all apart from Sergeant Paul who was sat slumped and spinning his knife on the tables surface as he had a glum expression hung over his face.

'Private First Class Liam Ryan, Ma'm!'

'Major Louis, Ma'm!'

'Lieutenant Connor Parker, Ma'm!'

'Private Second Class Ronald Curtis Ma'm!'

'Private Second Class Ann Bishop, Ma'm!'

After they introduced themselves, they all sat back down in their seats and looked over at the Sergeant, Pinkie and Rainbow doing the same.

He grumbled.

'Grmh...Sergeant Paul Edwin...Ma'm...*cough* Pussies...'

'What now?' Rainbow Dash overheard the Sergeant.

'Looks like Gramps' is in a mood.'

The Sergeant looked up towards Rainbow, meeting her narrowed, magenta eyes.

'Why don't you keep your mouth shut?'

Sergeant Paul snapped back at her, making Rainbow jump back a little.

'Whoa! Take a chill pill, Grandpa!' Rainbow laughed.

She was cut short from her laughter by the thud of the Sergeants knife digging into the table just in front of her hooves, barely missing them.

Rainbow jumped back and looked into the Sergeants daring gaze.

'When a Sarge says 'Shut up', he means shut up. Is that clear?'

Rainbow stuttered.

'I..I..I'

'IS THAT CLEAR?!'

'Sarge! Simmer down, will you? She's just playing with ya.' Ryan placed a hand on the Sergeants shoulder.

The group of new acquaintances were interrupted by the library door opening and four mares trotting in.

there was Twilight who was followed by Applejack, Rarity and finally, Fluttershy.

'Oh, hey there Pinkie, hey, Rainbow. What's going on her-'

Twilight stopped in mid-sentence as she panned her head to the left and saw the six soldiers sitting opposite her friends.

At first she started to stutter and was at a loss for words but eventually found her voice.

'Oh my Celestia! What are you? How did you get here?!'

Rarity and Applejack shared the same expression Twilight had plastered to her face, well, apart from Fluttershy who was cowering behind them, eyes fixed on all the six.

'Nice to meet you, too.' Curtis said, breaking the awkward silence between them.

'OH,OH! Twilight!' Pinkie Pie yelled across from the table towards the purple unicorn. 'I was waiting for you to get your flank over here! I wanna introduce you to our new friends!'

Pinkie said out loud as she pointed at the six soldiers who now had their eyes fixed on the four new arrivals.

'This is Ryan,Curtis,Louis,Parker,Bishop and finally, Sergeant Paul Edwin!'

Pinkie said out loud in a hyperactive sentence.

Upon hearing their names, they each nodded their hats down slightly at the 4 ponies.

Bishop looked over to Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash.

'So...now you know our names, what are your names exactly?'

Pinkies face immediately lit up with joy. Now was her chance to shine....

'GLAD YOU ASKED! I'm Pinkie Pie I run parties and party all day long with my awesome friends!'

'And I'm Rainbow Dash, the awesomest of all Pegasus around! Heh, no pony beats me!'

Rainbow bloated as she stood up tall and proud of herself on the table.

'And I'm Applejack, call me AJ if ya wanna. All ma friends do.'

Applejack said as she bowed her hat at the soldiers.

'And I'm Rarity.'

'My name's Twilight Sparkle, pleased to meet you all.'

'I'm...um...Fluttershy...'

Fluttershy spoke sheepishly and quiet.

'What?' The Sergeant said.

'Its Fluttershy!'

'Ok, I can't hear you, I give up.' The Sergeant continued to stare at the table, this time spinning his pistol around with his finger.

The Sarge was in to bad of a mood to communicate or even bother with any pesky ponies. Especially ponies that can talk and annoy you. Which is what Rainbow was doing to him.

Ryan rolled his eyes at the Sergeant as he watched him spin the pistol around like a child.

'What?' He grumbled at Ryan.

'You asshole.'

'What did you just call me? Come on, speak up.'

'I said 'You asshole' ,Sir!' Ryan yelled back, clear enough for the old Sergeant to hear.

The Sergeant got up and walked past his five colleagues, slapping Ryan on the cheek as he did so.

He walked past the four ponies and glared at them for a mere second and walked out of the door and slammed it shut behind him.

'Wow. He's grouchy.' Twilight finally said.

'He's always been like that, just try to deal with it.' Curtis told Twilight.

'Wait...did you say your name was Applejack?' Ryan pointed a finger at Applejack.

'Yes, sir. Happy to meet ya.' Applejack said with a smile.

'That name rings some bells. I've seen you before. I've seen all of you before back where I'm from.'

'Have ya now? How have you seen me before? I don't reckon we met before?' Applejack cocked her head.

'I used to watch you when I was at home with my little daughter on the TV, years before I left to go to war.'

'Huh? War? Where are ya'll from anyway?'

Applejack's curiosity was getting the better of her.

'I'm from United States and so is Bishop. I don't know about the rest. Some of my other friends joined up too, but they were most likely killed in battle.'

Ryan lowered his head, a hint of sadness coming over him as he put his hand to his face crying quietly into it.

Applejack trotted up to Ryan and placed a hoof on his shoulder in attempt to comfort him.

'It's alright,now, sugarcube. What happened exactly? How did you get here?'

The Major looked over to his sobbing companion and answered Applejack's question.

'Look,I don't wanna go through all of that. Its nothing more than a story of bloodshed and inhumane thoughts. No soldier else would tell you different, and I sure as hell know that Ryan doesn't want a reminder. He already lost his best friends, including his brother.'

There was once again a silence filling the room, only with the sound of Ryan's silent crying making small echoes through the library.

'Ryan, you alright?' Lieutenant Parker inquired.

'Yeah..*sniffle* I'm alright..I just need to stop thinking about the war.'

'Hold on...how did we get here in the first place anyway? and how can I walk when one of those bastard Russians shot me in the leg?'

The Lieutenant paused.

'I can't remember a thing before we arrived here other than we were surrounded and were torched by the fire units. Any of you remember what happened?'

The five soldiers shook their heads at the Lieutenant.

'How odd..You know, I better go and check on the Sergeant, make sure he's alright.'

'Hey, Rainbow?'

'Yeah?' Rainbow lifted a brow.

'If he comes back in, try not to annoy him any further. You don't want to know what he's like when he is angry.'

The Lieutenant left the room without another word leaving the remaining four soldiers on their own with the ponies.

Bishop was the next to speak up.

'Rainbow Dash? Hmm. Why does that name sound familiar?'

'W-What?' Rainbow was now looking at the Private, awaiting a response.

'Rainbow, by chance, do you know or remember anyone else called 'Bishop''? 'Private, David Ann Bishop?'

Rainbow began scratching her mane as she tried to think.

Eventually she spoke up.

'D-David...?'

The soldiers, including the other five ponies saw a faint tear form in Dash's eye.

'Bishop...' A single track of tears slid down Rainbow's face.

'Rainbow?' Bishop asked calmly with a hint of concern in his voice. 'You okay?'

'I...I do remember him. He was a courageous soldier, just like you. He also looked a bit like you. I wish he was still around...'

Rainbow covered her eyes with her hooves and began to sob.

'I never should of let what happened be done to someone like Bishop.' 'How did you even know his name?'

She wiped her eye with a hoof.

'I found one of his diary entries from the Second World War.' Bishop explained. 'It said that he met a pony called Rainbow Dash and kept her with him no matter what happened, even if the risk was his own life, he would keep you beside him.'

'The only reason I got his diary is because he left it behind in his old apartment and it was brought to my parents and left to me in their will.'

'He...He was your granddad?'

Rainbow asked through her tears, to which Bishop responded with a nod.

'Rainbow, apparently he was with you last. You said something happened to him?'

'Y-Y-Yes..'

'What?'

'He...He..fell to his death...it was all my fault...if I never asked him to come with me, he would still be alive! I haven't been able to accept his death yet...and I just can't..I...I...loved him so much...'

Rainbow began crying again, more than she ever has.

This was the first time that Rainbow's friends have seen her cry like this. Rainbow couldn't bare to let her friends see her like this and went into the basement of the library in tears.

Even while she was down there, they could hear her faint tears from the living room.

Author's Note:

FOR THOSE WHO THINK DIFFERENT OF THIS: This is NOT a sequel to A Hero of War. It only has a reference to it of David Ann Bishop.

The one in this story is Private Ann Bishop - David Ann Bishops grandson. and yes, they are clearly related.

BTW, This is NOT ripped off from the story by DontWakeTheNeighbor. It is NOT related in anyway - It just has ONE reference.