• Published 19th Nov 2013
  • 3,889 Views, 101 Comments

Soldiers Remnants of Us - Ribe_FireRain



A soldier awakes after an attack on his team and when he does, he finds he is no longer on the battlefield, but in a strange new world: Equestria

  • ...
20
 101
 3,889

Funeral and Final Goodbyes (Extended and Redone)

''You fucking prick!! I'll show you who's a granddad!'' Paul screamed as he furiously punched and kicked the defenseless cyan pegasus who's eyes were sparkling and flooding with tears.

''Stop, stop! Please STOP!!'' She begged, trying to defend herself with her hooves covering her face.

''Why?! Had enough?! When I'm done, you'll wish you never crossed me!'' He balled at her, not once stopping his rage quit upon her now bruised and bloody body.

Soon, the beating stopped, for Rainbow Dash had stopped moving and died from the pain and blood loss.

''AHHHH!!!'' Ann shot up in bed, sweat running down his forehead and onto his sheets, his breathing heavy with panic.

''Oh, thank god...'' He sighed in relief. ''It was just a dream...''

He swiveled out of the sheets and climbed to his feet, placing a hand over his forehead as a stray tear slid down his cheek and hit the floor, sounding a quiet splash. He looked out the window, rubbing his eyes with the palm of his hand.

''Why did you all have to die?'' He thought aloud. ''Why couldn't you just get along with her?''

Just then, a gentle series of taps were heard on the door, and then the door opened. Fluttershy stood in the doorway, looking at Ann with concerned eyes.

''Ann? Are you a-alright?'' She asked softly, the moonlight making her eyes glitter beautifully.

He sighed quietly. ''I..I..just...Ugh. I dunno...''

''What's wrong? I heard you scream...'' She asked with a cute, yet sad look.

''Sorry about that, Fluttershy...Its...just that I had a nightmare...about...Paul and Rainbow...''

''Oh...What happened? You look terrified...''

''Paul...he...was hurting Rainbow..kicking her, punching her, making her bleed and bruise and...eventually...kill her..'' He wiped a hand over his face, more tears dripping out his tear ducts.

''Oh, my...'' She trotted up to him and cuddled him warmly, Ann returning the hug.

''I dunno if I can go through with this...the funeral is tomorrow, and we got four of mine and Parker's friends to put six feet under. I've never even had to do this kind of thing before..'' He moped, rubbing his cheek into Fluttershy's soft, cozy pink mane.

''Don't worry, Ann. It'll be okay, I assure you.''

''Fluttershy?''

''Y-Yeah?''

''Do you...um...why do you and your friends trust us so easily? We are soldiers - people who kill for their country, but all for a good cause that protects civilization.''

''Well...I...I guess because you are all so nice and help each other, as you do with us when we need you.'' She smiled at Ann, himself smiling back, despite the awful memories and the nightmare he just had.

''Thanks, Fluttershy. Me nor Parker will ever leave you or your friends, I promise.''


The day of the funeral had to be the most glummest and memorable days in pony history, but for Ann and Parker, it was the day they say their final words to their four dead friends before they are buried to rest for good.

The coffins were all designed in the way they were all made back home, thanks to the pictures in David's old diary, it did help the work ponies to make them, and of course, Ann and Parker told Rarity about their countries flag, and thanks to her remarkable textile skills, she managed to fashion four of them for each individual coffin.

All the ponies were gathered at the Ponyville graveyard, along with the full town, all wearing a sad expression and dressed in formal black attire appropriate for a funeral. Four graves were dug around the crowd, with the coffins containing the remnants of the soldiers. The American flag was covering the top of the coffin, rippling in the gentle breeze, and on top of them were pretty red poppies.

At the very front of the crowd of ponies, Ann, Parker and the six friends were waiting for the funeral to begin. Ann and Parker both had their berets on, and were crying hysterically as the rest of them did the same, but more conveniently, Pinkie Pie was crying the most out of all of them.

''They were good men, Ann.'' Rainbow said sadly as she rubbed his back with her hoof.

''Yeah...yeah, they were. Even if Paul was a prick sometimes. I'm sorry he did that to you.'' He placed a hand to her shoulder, earning a blush from Rainbow.

''Thank you all for coming to this funeral today, here at Ponyville graveyard. Today, we will be saying goodbye to four of the six soldiers that risked their lives to protect ours. I also believe that Ann and Parker here have something to say.'' Twilight announced.

Ann stepped forward, pulling his beret back, revealing his flooded eyes.

''I...don't know what to say about this funeral, but...these men - my friends, my brothers - we all thought beside each other night and day. We would watch over each other all the time in combat.'' He wiped an arm across his eyes and wiped away his tears.

''Ryan, Paul, Curtis and Louis were all good men, even if Paul was a prick sometimes, I still loved him like a brother. Even though they are gone from the world now, they can finally rest in peace for eternity. The most horrible part of this is...just the fact that I know that we'll never see them again...''

Ann's voice started to break at his own words, everypony else crying openly and heavily. Parker walked up to Ann's side and placed a hand to his shoulder, then cuddled him tight and close.

''We should probably lower them down now...''

''Right...'' Ann nodded slowly.

Ann and Parker walked towards the coffin side and pulled back the lever together, lowering the four coffins ever so slowly.

As they went down, Ann walked towards Ryan's coffin and picked up his revolver from his holster. He looked at it silently, caressing it gingerly with his thumb and dropped it on top of the coffin.

''I'm so, so sorry, buddy. I should of been able to save you..I love you all.'' He said aloud, earning a few awes from the crowd.


After the funeral had finished and the soldiers were buried, the two remaining soldiers and the mane six went back to Twilight's library. There, Ann sat alone at the table, staring down and resting his elbow on the table as he had his hand planted across his face, tears still leaking from his eyes. Across from him, Parker was sat on the floor with Twilight and Rarity at his side, talking with them. After a few moments, Rainbow came beside Ann with Fluttershy and sat with him at the table.
Rainbow sat close to Ann, able to see his pain that was loss. She didn't say anything but instead gently placed a hoof to his shoulder, causing him to flinch a bit at her soft touch.

''Hey.'' She said quietly. ''Do you feel alright? You barely said a thing since the funeral.''

Ann didn't respond or look up at her. Rainbow and Fluttershy both exchanged worried looks.
Without saying anything or thinking, Fluttershy and Rainbow wrapped their hooves around Ann and hugged him as they held him close to their chests.

''Rainbow...''

''Ann, its alright...''

In moments, Ann eventually felt a little warmer inside and cuddled Rainbow, rubbing his cheek into her multicolour mane.

''Its my fault...I should of been there for them all...but I failed them.''

Rainbow rubbed his back, him rubbing her back as he broke from the hug, looking into her beautiful, magenta eyes.
He looked at them hard, and made it seem like he was staring directly into her soul.

''Ann?''

''Hmm? What?'' Ann said in a still sad tone, snapping back into reality.

''Something wrong?''

''No, its just...'' He stopped, wiping away tears from his eyes with the palm of his hand. ''I was lost in your eyes.''

At his statement, Rainbow blushed a bright, furious red and turned her head away as a smile crept to her lips. Fluttershy looked up at Ann, seeing his hurt expression.

''Hey, Ann?''

''Hmm?''

''Do you think you'll be okay? I mean, you don't look too good..''

''Hey, I'll be fine, Fluttershy. Especially if we all remain friends, that is.''

''Sure we will, Ann. Why wouldn't we?''

''Well, its just that we put you girls through so much within such a short time. I mean, look at what Paul did to Rainbow! He caused her to get a fracture in the back of her head! Hell, it was my fault so many bad things happened in the Everfree. You nearly got killed by one of those wooden wolves!''

Fluttershy didn't respond. She opened her mouth a few times, but clamped it shut. Ann looked at his knife that was held secure in his leather holster and slowly took it out, placing it gently on his lap. Fluttershy's eyes widened slightly at it. She knew perfectly well what it was. It was the knife Ann gave to her when he told them to get Rainbow to the hospital.

''What are you gonna do with that?'' She asked quietly.

''I'm gonna get rid of it.''

''But why?''

''Its just gonna remind me of the past as long as I keep seeing it. Hell, what am I gonna do with a knife when there are barley any threats around here? Its just going to keep haunting me as long as I have it.''

''Hey, Ann?''

''Yeah, Rainbow?''

As a response, Rainbow came closer to Ann and wrapped her hooves tightly around him. She rubbed her soft cheek into his and gently placed a small kiss to it, making Ann's cheeks burn a hot crimson shade. The next thing she did was whisper something that melted Ann's heart.

''I love you.''