• Published 16th Apr 2014
  • 4,594 Views, 1,402 Comments

The Descent into Madness - FenrisianBrony



After almost four years, Rainbow Dash is forced to return to the 41st Millennium, in search of something stolen, and something lost.

  • ...
34
 1,402
 4,594

PreviousChapters Next
The Spire of the World

Applejack

“So what are we going to be doing?” Applejack asked, looking up at Ti’mer.

“Okay, first things first, I have a title, Fio’Vre,” Ti’mer explained. “Now that you are Fio’Saal, you will be expected to use titles as well, that goes double for Fio’O Gvend.”

“Sorry, Fio’Vre,” Applejack nodded slowly, realising she would have to get used to the odd Tau words quickly if she was going to fit in until Rainbow found her. “Where are we going sir?”

“The Earth Caste headquarters is in the most important city to my people, Fio’taun, where the Ethereals first appeared to Tau kind. We’ll be taking a transport across to the Spire of the World where you will meet the Fio’O.”

Applejack nodded as the pair continued to walk towards a large white building, its surface shining in the alien sun like some sort of glorious jewel. Inside were scores upon scores of Tau, each one lithe like Karrer, and wearing light blue, form fitting bodysuits as they flitted between some strange looking vehicles. Applejack was instantly reminded of Rainbow's bike as she looked at them, and although they were completely different machines, she could tell that this thing was going to be fast.

“A civilian pattern of the Fire Caste piranha,” Ti’mer walked towards one of the vehicles, nodding to the members of the Air Caste as he clambered inside. “The original craft was a scout vehicle, but it has since become wide spread amongst our colonies as a rapid transport system. Now please, sit.”

Applejack nervously climbed into the vehicle behind Ti’mer and sitting down on one of the squishy seats, the gel like substance moulding around her and holding her in tightly, making sure she wouldn’t fall out.

“Er…Fio’Vre...are you sure that this is safe Sugarcube?”

“Perfectly safe Fio’Saal,” Ti’mer assured her as he took his own seat, the gel seat moulding around his back and holding him steady as he took the wheel.

“It’s just…ah’m not a big fan of flyin’ is all,” Applejack chuckled nervously. “I prefer mah hooves bein’ on the ground.”

“You sound like a Bentu'sin,” Ti’mer chuckled softly. “They like to keep their stubby feet on the ground as well.”

“A what?”

“Bentu'sin, a Demiurg in the common tongue. Now, if it helps you should close your eyes.”

Applejack nodded slowly, closing her eyes and dropping her head down, placing a hoof on her hat to make sure it didn’t come off. A few moments later, the craft lifted off the ground, leaving Applejack's stomach with it as they lurched forward. It was a good thing Applejack hadn’t eaten recently, or she was sure she would have redecorated the craft with the contents of her stomach, but as it was, she just felt extremely queasy.

“How long?” Applejack asked softly as she felt the wind whip through her hair.

“We should be in Fio’taun shortly, do not worry Applejack, we will soon be back on the ground.”

“I…hope so,” Applejack groaned.

True to his word, Ti’mer soon brought the craft into land in another structure nearly identical to the one they had taken off from, and Applejack breathed a sigh of relief as the gel went soft again, allowing her to leap from the craft and onto the solid floor.

“I assume you are happy then Fio’Saal,” Ti’mer chuckled, climbing out of the craft and passing the activation stud to one of the Air Caste engineers as he lead Applejack into the city. “Now, you have seen the capital of Aun, allow me to show you to a much older and more majestic city. Welcome to Fio’taun.”

Applejack gasped as she walked into the city, looking around at the buildings in awe. Unlike the last city she had been in, or ‘Aun’ as she know knew it, this one did not look modern at all. All of the buildings were fashioned out of a dull brown rock, each one sporting straight walls with large metal poles sticking out of them, supporting large sheets of fabric that provided shade to the Tau walking around the city. As she looked around, she saw that the entire city was ringed by a high wall, and she quickly remembered what Aun’Va had told her about the history of this place. Clearly they had kept the wall to remind them of the past.

Even more curious were the other creatures walking around. They were bipedal like the Tau, but they had long sharp snouts, giving them a much more reptilian or avian type look than the Tau. Applejack briefly wondered if these were humans, before snorting at the idea, realising that they looked nothing like what Rainbow had described.

Ti’mer looked down as she gasped slightly, smiling as he caught sight of her gaze. “The Kroot, the most numerous aliens in the Tau auxiliary. Very few operate with the Earth Caste, most of them prefer the Fire caste, but we get our fair share. But come, we have kept Fio’O Gvend waiting long enough. He will want to see you before we run the necessary medical tests.”

“Medical tests?” Applejack asked as she continued to walk through the streets, drawing the occasional glance as she walked past.

“Of course. You did not think you would just appear out of nowhere and be treated like you have always been here did you?” Ti’mer smiled. “You are an undocumented species, we will need to run biometric tests, take blood samples, check for any foreign pathogens you may unwittingly be carrying. You were screened for anything major when you first arrived I would imagine, but this shall be a more in-depth test.”

“They won’t hurt will they?” Applejack laughed nervously as they neared the large spire like castle in the centre of the city.

“It depends on your perception of the pain caused by needles Fio’Saal. I am sorry, but this is the way it must be. There is no other way.”

“Ah guess that’s reasonable,” Applejack nodded. “Jus’ don’t be pokin’ around too much.”

“I won’t be conducting the procedures, but I will inform the medical drone,” Ti’mer assured her, before stopping in front of the massive castle like structure. “Fio’Saal Applejack, welcome to the Spire of the World, one of the oldest buildings on the planet, and certainly the largest creation from before the time of the Ethereals. Please, follow me inside.”

Applejack found herself being led through the building, marvelling at the simple yet beautiful sculptures that dotted the hall. Contrary to what Rarity may have thought, she actually did have a taste for art, it was just much more basic than the fro-frooy stuff that Rarity called art.

“Is something funny Fio’Saal?” Ti’mer looked won as Applejack began to snigger under her breath.

“No sir, just thinkin’ of a friend from back home. Well, all of my friends from back home,” Applejack let out a heavy sigh as reality once again sunk in. “Sorry, didn’t mean to bring down the mood. Just…I know that I can get home, but…it could be a long way off.”

“I understand,” Ti’mer assured her, before pushing a door open and striding inside, walking towards a large banks of computers at the far end of the room and the Tau standing over them. Compared to Ti’mer, this Tau was massive, his muscles rippling beneath his skin. It was not just the size of the Tau that caused him to dominate the room, but also the aura he seemed to emit, projecting an air of authority about him as he worked. Floating beside him were a pair of odd disk like machines, flitting around his head seemingly with a life of their own.

“Fio’O Gvend,” Ti’mer said in a low voice, dropping to a knee and placing his clenched fists onto the floor as he looked away from the Fio’O. Applejack quickly followed his lead, dropping to a front knee and looking away from the Fio’O as if he was one of the princesses. “The new auxiliary you instructed me to meet has chosen the way of Earth and Stone I present her to you now.”

“You may rise Fio’Vre Ti’mer,” Gvend responded, turning round to face the pair and looking down at them. “And you. Please state your name.”

“Fio’Saal Applejack Fio’O Gvend,” Applejack said quickly, keeping her head bowed.

“I see you have already informed her of her rank,” Gvend noted, looking at Ti’mer. “That is good. You may rise Fio’Saal Applejack.”

Nodding, Applejack got back to her hooves, looking up at the Fio’O.

“I’m going to ask you some simple questions, please give simple answers,” Gvend gently massaged his temple with his hand before continuing. “You have sworn to accept the Greater Good?”

“Ah have,” Applejack nodded.

“You wish to learn the ways of Earth and Stone?”

“Ah do.”

“Did you have a profession before you appeared on T’au?”

“An apple farmer.”

“You wish to serve the empire by providing help with agriculture?”

“With farmin’ yes.”

“That is all I need for now,” Gvend turned to face Ti’mer. “You shall take the Fio’Saal to the medical lab for evaluation and processing, then you will return to me.”

“Yes Fio’O,” Ti’mer bowed. “Fio’Saal, follow me please.”

Applejack nodded, bowing again to Gvend, before exiting the room with Ti’mer. Gvend waited until they were gone, before turning to one of the drones.

“GH-5642, bring up the auxiliary deployments on T’au at the moment. Prioritise agriculture units. Transfer findings to GH-5643.”

“Acknowledged,” the drone said, its mechanical voice ringing out around the room.

“GH-5643,” Gvend turned to the other drone. “Upon completion of GH-5642’s task, you are to make accommodation arrangements for Fio’Saal Applejack. You will check with medical first to ensure that her merging into our Caste goes smoothly. Use the data from GH-5642 to choose an auxiliary unit to post Applejack with. You will then show her to her quarters and bring in the auxiliary unit so she can meet her new posting. Inform them that they are to bring her knowledge of the empire up to scratch.”

“I will make it so,” the drone bobbed up and down, before heading towards the door after Applejack and Ti’mer.

***

Applejack lay on a large flat table as Ti’mer began to type away on a keyboard in the corner, occasionally glancing over to Applejack, before finishing and pressing a final key. Instantly a hatch in the wall opened and another one of the strange disk machines floated over to Ti’mer, this one painted in a bright white with a red stripe down the middle.

“Medical unit ready. Standing by for orders,” it said in a loud monotonous voice.

“Applejack, this is Medical Drone M-23,” Ti’mer explained, before turning back to the drone. “Initiate first contact medical protocol, subject designation Fio’Saal Applejack, species to be stored on file as pony. Run species diagnostics and store biometrics on file, then forward the findings to the Fio’O and myself. Applejack, I must leave you now.”

“Of course Fio’Vre,” the drone acknowledged.

“Will I see you around Fio’Vre?” Applejack asked, not taking her eyes off the medical drone.

“If the Greater Good demands it,” Ti’mer nodded, before turning and leaving the room.

“I am medical unit designation M-23,” the drone told her as it floated towards her, hovering beside her head. “Medical test begins.”

The drone began to unfold a series of arms as it neared Applejack, each one ending in a syringe or some type of scanning device that reminded Applejack of some of the lens that Rainbow Dash and the Swooping Pegasi had on their armour.

“Running preliminary medical scans. Preparing to map out nervous system and blood vessel tracts. Brace for minor tingling.”

‘Minor’ turned out to be a very soft hearted way of putting it as a faint blue light ran over her body multiple times, making her fur stand on end, before falling limp as the light faded. Over the next fifteen minutes, the drone continued to probe her, taking small blood samples here and there, before running yet more scans on her saliva and…other bodily fluids. Yet more scans were taken of her body, ranging from her eyes to her hooves, each one of the findings being stored in the drones’ memory banks, before presumably being sent off to the Fio’O and Ti’mer.

Applejack mused that she probably should have been more worried than this that she wasn’t on Equis anymore, but then again, she at least knew more about where she was than Rainbow had when she had appeared, and compared to her, Applejack had had a much gentler introduction to the universe, rather than being dropped off in the middle of the invasion.

That being said, she was still worried about her friends, especially Twilight and Rainbow. Twilight would probably be holding herself accountable for the whole mess, which wasn’t unfair considering the fact that it was her fault, but she would be beating herself up over it much more than Applejack would have liked. Rainbow on the other hoof would now have to come and find her, which meant she would have to return to the universe of war and violence. While Applejack knew second hoof what the universe was like, Rainbow had seen it for herself, and would have to willingly walk back into it, which was something Applejack doubted she wanted to do. But she would, and nothing anypony did would be able to stop her being loyal to her friends.

Eventually the drone bobbed back towards the wall as it began to empty the various vials of liquid into receptacles built into the room, and Applejack pushed herself off the table and onto the floor, grabbing her hat and placing it on her head as she walked towards the drone.

“So…are the results good?”

“Results are being processed. No infections present harmful to the Tau or auxiliary species. Physical evaluation is needed to gauge strength and durability of Fio’Saal Applejack.”

“Ya mean like liftin’ weights type training?”

“Weight lifting will be required yes. Please accompany me to the evaluation room.” The drone hovered towards the back of the room, a door sliding open as it approached, leading into a small bland room with a few large weights dotted around for use by the drone and the occupant.

“Error. Quadruped status and lack of fingers conflicts with standard weight lifting procedures. Contacting superior for instructions. Please wait,” the drone droned, before stopping in mid-air, holding stock still as a small red light pulsed on its head.

“You can jus’ put the weight on mah back if that helps,” Applejack offered.

“Command concurs with your suggestion,” the drone bobbed over to one of the weights, lifting it towards Applejack and gently resting it on Applejacks back. “Inform me when you are at your limit. Do not push past it.”

Applejack nodded as weights were slowly added to her body by the drone, but she kept standing even as more and more began to pile on. Eventually she had to concede as her legs began to shudder.

“S-stop now. Ah can’t hold much more.”

“Affirmative,” the droid began to remove the weights, placing them back on the floor. “All testing complete, results indicate strength level of Demiurg auxiliary species. Forwarding findings to Fio’O Gvend. Please await further instructions.”

Even as it spoke, the door to the medical lab slid open and another drone entered, moving over to M-23.

“Liaison drone GH-5643 reporting as ordered by Fio’O Gvend. Requesting transfer of data pertaining to subject known as Fio’Saal Applejack.”

“Data transfer begun. Data transfer complete.”

“Requesting exchange of responsibility of Fio’Saal Applejack.”

“Exchange verified and confirmed. Protocol dictates you are now responsible GH-5643.”

“Affirmative M-23,” the drone turned to face Applejack, lowering itself so it was at her eye level. “Please follow me Fio’Saal. Medical data is being cross-referenced with auxiliary data as we speak. By the time we reach the auxiliary accommodation the chosen unit will have been notified.”

Applejack was slightly taken aback by the drones’ sudden proclamation, before she nodded with a soft chuckle, following GH-5643 out of the room and further into the Spire of the World. More than once Applejack debated trying to start a conversation with the drone, before thinking better of it. How did you go about talking to a seemingly emotionless machine to do anything except to give it instructions? Not having a suitable answer, Applejack followed after the drone, the only sound coming from whatever mechanism kept it in the air, and her own hooves as they clopped against the hard stone floor.

“Data processed and match found,” the sudden nose startled Applejack, but the drone didn’t seem to notice, or wasn’t programed to care, and instead simply continued its data stream. “Medical results match you with records of human equine species known as a horse. Biological match in the empire is negligible. Strength tests put you on par with Demiurg auxiliary. Strongest match with Demiurg work party designation epsilon gamma-7. Contacting work leader.”

“Umm…who are the Demiurg?”

“Data will be easier to process with your own eyes. Please follow me to your new accommodation.”

Slightly perplexed by the suddenness of the drone’s announcement, Applejack continued to follow it, before finally reaching a small iron door. The drone hovered before it for a second, a small blue laser darting between it and a control panel beside the door, before the door slid open, allowing them to enter the room and look around.

Unlike all of the other rooms she had seen in her short time on T’au, this one was basic and looked for all the world like something she could have found on Equestria. Were it not for the drone and the slight abundance of technology in the room, she could have forgiven herself for thinking that she had somehow got home.

“Ah yer blasted bucket of bolts,” a deep voice rang around the room, reminding Applejack of a cross between a Scoltish accent and Iron Will’s accent. “What are yer doin’ pullin’ me team in from the fields? Don’t cha’know that we’re shippin’ out in a few days?”

“Affirmative auxiliary Koghad,” a drone buzzed as it entered the room. “Your deployment status is locked into my memory banks. You are to be assigned a new team member.”

“Ya mean one of me kin decided to follow me and me lads into farmin’?” the voice asked, before an odd creature walked into the room, followed by two others.

Like every other creature Applejack had seen on T’au, these creatures were bipedal, but unlike the Tau or the Kroot, these creatures, the ones Applejack reasoned were Demiurg, were short and stubby, almost being on eye level with her. Their entire face was different from the Tau as well, with a big fat nose taking up most of their faces on their rock like dark pink skin.

“So where’s me kin?” the front Demiurg asked, looking around the room, before catching sight of Applejack and looking at the drone expectantly. “Is this supposed to be dinner?”

“Dinner?” Applejack asked in alarm, taking several steps away from the stocky creatures.

“Whoa, it’s a lass,” the Demiurg chuckled. “And a talkin’ one at that. What’s the lass here for?”

“Koghad, please meet Fio’Saal Applejack,” GH-5643 explained. “She has been assigned to your unit by order of the Fio’O.”

“The Fio’O? Well, looks like we don’t get a choice eh lads?” Koghad sighed, looking at his fellows.

“I guess not, but we can at least get rid of the drones,” one pointed out.

“Good point,” Koghad nodded, turning back to the drones. “Well you heard him, you can leave us. We’ll take good care of Applesnack.”

“Jack,” Applejack corrected. “Applejack, not Applesnack.”

“Sorry lass, my mistake,” Koghad apologised. "Point still stands though yer tin can. You can leave Applejack here with us."

“Very well auxiliary Koghad, I will leave you. Under orders from the Fio’O, you are to answer Fio’Saal Applejack’s questions if possible, before helping to facilitate her merge into the Empire.”

“Yeah, I understand yer flying clanker, just leave us.”

The pair of drones seemed to exchange a glance, before turning and bobbing out of the room, mumbling something softly, and leaving Applejack alone with the three Demiurg. For a while the trio simply stared at Applejack, before one of them finally broke the tension.

“If we’re coming off the fields for the rest of the day, I’m taking this off,” he indicated the heavy looking work overalls that he had on, before reaching up and beginning to detach some of the tubes that attached the metal collar to the rest of the outfit.

“Good idea Mata,” Koghad nodded, before glancing at Applejack. “Wait, you don’t mind do yer lass?”

“No, go ahead,” Applejack shook her head.

“No problem lass,” the final unnamed Demiurg grinned, his voice higher that the other two, before he too began to strip down. Eventually they had discarded their work clothes, clad in tight short sleeved bodysuits that just about covered up their lower regions, reducing them to small bulges.

“So…Applejack?” Koghad asked, grabbing a small metal chair and sitting down heavily on it, before bawling his hand into a fist and extending it towards Applejack. “I think introductions are in order. I’m Koghad, leader of this here auxiliary team, this here’s Mata, and the squeaky bastard’s Lofeg.”

“Pleased ta meet y’all,” Applejack nodded, raising a hoof, tapping it against Koghad’s fist.

“Finally, another species who understands a good greetin’,” Koghad laughed. “You know what, before we start, I think I’m going ta need a drink.”

“Way ahead of you boss,” Mata smiled, tossing him over a bottle, which Koghad deftly caught, before pulling the top off and taking in a deep breath.

“Ah, I love the smell of Amasec in the morning,” he sighed happily. “I never will understand how you get human stuff like this Lofeg.”

“I have my ways,” Lofeg chuckled, grabbing four mugs and handing them out, pausing as he passed one to Applejack. “Ugh…how do you…you know, pick stuff up?”

“With mah hooves,” Applejack offered, taking the mug from Lofeg. “A low level telepathic…no wait, telekinetic field, around my hoof. Or something like that, I don’t really know how it works, or what it is.”

“If it works it works,” Koghad shrugged, before pouring each of them a mug full. “Oh and Applejack, this is strictly hush hush, yer understand? Amasec’s technically classed as contraband, so don’t go tellin’ everybody. Cannae do that for us?”

“Er…maybe?” Applejack said slowly. “Ah don’t like lyin’ to anypony.”

“Don’t think of it as lying,” Mata grinned, taking a swig from his mug. “Think of it as…selective truth telling.”

“Ah don’t know, still seems like lyin’ ta me,” Applejack warily sniffed the contents of the mug, recoiling slightly at the strong smell.

“Trust me on this, the Demiurg know a thing or two about selective truth telling when it comes to the good hooch,” Mata assured her. “Just, don’t say anything unless asked. How’s that?”

“Ah guess ah could do that,” Applejack nodded slowly, before taking a tentative sip of the Amasec, before spluttering a coughing as the liquid burnt her throat.

“Looks like ye can’t take yer booze Applejack,” Koghad laughed, downing his own mug and pouring himself another mug.

“Hay’s teeth that’s strong,” Applejack spluttered with a soft smile.

“Yeah, no point in drinkin’ weak hooch is there?” Lofeg chuckled. “So. Why don’t you tell us a bit out where ya used to live, then we can fill you in on where ya live now. Sound good?”

“Sure,” Applejack nodded, passing the mug to Mata, who eagerly downed the alcohol. “Ah’m from a place called Ponyville…

***

“So let me get this straight,” Koghad crossed his arms as Applejack finished her story. “Yer species can use ‘magic’, these princesses of yers move the sun and the moon, and yer the second of yer kin to come to this universe?”

“That’s the truth,” Applejack nodded. “Rainbow Dash came here a few years back, only she was found by Eldar, not Tau. She managed to get home, and we started to experiment with the stuff she’d brought back with her. One of the experiments went wrong and…here I am.”

“Well, at least you were found by the Empire,” Koghad pointed out. “Sounds like this Rainbow Dash of yers had a hard time fittin' in wi' those Eldar Gits, buncha flighty backstabbers, and if she'd be found by humans…well, I doubt she would have gotten home quite so easily, or at all really.”

“Yeah, ah guess,” Applejack nodded. “Yer turn now. Ah know next to nothin’ about the Tau, save for what Aun’Va told me.”

“Well it’s pretty simple for the most part,” Koghad sighed. “The Tau are in charge, and they let us live alongside their empire. It’s…pretty good I guess. At least we’re not shot on sight like the Dark Imperium does, that counts fer something. Plus the Tau are more advanced, almost at our level. They like ta think that they’re good with their technology, but they couldn’t even harness Ion tech before we came.”

“So wait, do the Tau treat yer like equals or not?”

“Most of the time,” Koghad nodded. “We’re part of the auxiliary, so we’re not quite part of the command structure, but we still get treated pretty well. Free food, warm beds, plus thanks to Lofeg over here we can get all the hooch a happy Demiurg can drink.”

“How do y’all get it?” Applejack asked, looking at Lofeg.

“Not tellin’, ya might tell someone how I get it,” Lofeg shook his head. “Or you’ll start bringin’ in yer own stuff and put me out of mah line of work.”

“I thought you were a farmer?” Applejack asked in confusion.

“Secondary line of work then,” Lofeg sighed.

“Speaking of farming, you say you have a lot of experience Applejack?” Koghad cut in.

“Born and raised on a farm mah whole life,” Applejack nodded with a smile. “You want apples, Sweet Apple Acres is the place fer you.”

“Don’t get many apples on T’au,” Koghad shrugged. “A few, but not many. Apparently we sometimes grow them out in the colonies. Who knows, maybe we’ll grow them when we get ta Styro.”

“Styro? What’s Styro?”

“’Where’s Styro’ would be more accurate,” Koghad corrected her. “Apparently it’s an advanced warning colony we’re setting up. Somethin’ about wantin’ a deep space invasion platform or something, I’m not really sure. All I know is that we’re shippin’ out to it in a few days.”

“Shipping out as in…leaving T’au?” Applejack asked, shrinking back slightly. “As in…going on a ship type shipping out?”

“Well duh,” Lofeg chuckled. “Not much of a new colony if we don’t leave T’au now is it. What’s the matter with leavin’?”

“Ah don’t like flyin’” Applejack groaned. “Why can’t we just stay in one place? Works fer most ponies.”

“There isn’t much of a call for auxiliary farmers of T’au,” Koghad shook his head. “The Tau prefer their own kin to do the farming on their home. Something about pride in the past or some such nonsense. Fer such a young race they always seem to be both lookin’ to the past and trying to grasp the future.”

“A young race? What in the hay is that supposed to mean?”

“It means that they’re only around six thousand years away from being barbarians,” Mata chuckled. “They just had some quick advancing is all. We Demiurg are much older, plus we live fer longer than the Tau’s sixty years. If they're lucky”

“Wait, they can only live fer sixty years?” Applejack asked in surprise. “That seems so…”

“Short?” Mata offered. “Yeah, chances are we’ll outlive this Fio’O as well. We did the last one at any rate.”

The trio of Demiurg lapsed into silence as they continued to guzzle down the mugs of Amasec, offering another one to Applejack, just in case she wanted to try again. Not wanting to seem rude, she took the offered mug, taking another sip. Once again, she had the same burning sensation as she drank the alcohol, thinking back to the stuff that Rainbow had said she’d drunk when she was on Saim-Hann.

As this thought entered her mind, she steeled her thoughts and took another sip of the drink. She didn’t want to let Rainbow out drink her, she’d never be able to live it down if she found out.

“Looks like ye found yer motivation for takin’ yer drink lassie,” Koghad chuckled.

“Just a friend,” Applejack muttered, feeling her head start to spin. “She wouldn’t let me live it down if she beat me.”

Applejack's mood began to darken as she drank more and more Amasec, her thoughts drifting back to Equestria and to Twilight. She was ashamed to say that they began to darken slightly as she began to debate laying the blame on Twilight, even when she got back, before managing to push the thoughts away as Koghad took her mug away.

“Much as it would interest me in seein’ how much ye can drink, I think we all best turn in pretty soon. Got a long day ahead of us bringing ye up to scratch in preparation for shippin’ out. Got to make sure yer up at the standard of the rest of the team and work well with us.”

“Remember this day Applejack,” Lofeg chuckled, grabbing the mugs and the bottle and placing them back under his bed. “You don’t often get Koghad sayin’ we should stop with the hooch. Usually the only reason he stops is because he’s passed out on the floor or the hooch runs out.”

“Don’t speak of such blasphemy,” Koghad chuckled, before looking towards the beds. “We got a spare bunk above me Applejack. Ye can bunk there if yer want.”

“Thanks sugarcube,” Applejack nodded, looking up at the bunk. “Er…ah don’t suppose yer could give me a hoof up?”

Before the words had even finished coming out of her mouth, Applejack found herself being lifted up onto the bed by Mata. True to the words of the drone, he did feel strong as he grabbed hold of her, almost as strong as Big Mac.

Lying down on the bed, Applejack allowed her eyes to close as memories and images of her family floated into her mind, ranging from her sister and brother to her granny, before she began to see the whole of her family in front of her mind’s eye. They would all probably be worried sick, but at least they would have some form of knowledge as to where she was this time around, rather than it being like Rainbow where she just disappeared.

Still, she knew that neither Big Mac nor Applebloom would take this well, but they would have to find a way to keep moving. Applebloom would no doubt talk to Scootaloo before Rainbow and the Swooping Pegasi figured out how to come after her. She just hoped that would be enough to tide her over until she managed to come back.

“Night Applebloom, night Big mac, night Granny,” she whispered softly, before slipping off to sleep.

Author's Note:

Demiurg look like this:

PreviousChapters Next