• Published 17th Nov 2013
  • 4,307 Views, 148 Comments

My Little Pony: Friendship is Shining - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



What if Shining Armor had been Celestia's Student

  • ...
5
 148
 4,307

Summer Sun Celebration

The rest of the party was not too bad. It was a bit uncomfortable for Shining Armor as he seemed to be dragged into dancing with some of the single young mares in town. The oddest was a group of three he later found out most referred to as "the flower trio." The strangest event for the whole night was when a pony accidentally drank a bottle of hot sauce that was hidden among the concession. Turned out the hot sauce had been brought by Pinkie Pie in case anypony wanted to add some to their cupcakes.

As it got later, some of the ponies started to leave early. Among them was Fluttershy, who had to go collect her birds and have them get prepared for their performance. Shortly after, Shining Armor went upstairs to wake Spike and Twilight while many of the other ponies started to leave. Once the two youths were up and moving (although Shining suspected they were not fully awake) the three of them joined the others in heading to the town hall to watch the sun rise.

In the town hall, a great many ponies waited for the event to start. Every level of the three story tall building was nearly filled, plus there were numerous pegasus floating in the air above. All attention was on the third story balcony where the princess was supposed to appear before raising the sun. Well, almost all attention.

"Isn't this exciting?" Pinkie Pie asked, seeming to appear out of nowhere once again and end up with her muzzle an inch from Shining Armor's. The hyperactive mare then started talking about how excited she was. It seemed to him like she was happy to see him after not doing so in a long time. Except they had walked together to the town hall.

Although that was not entirely accurate. He and several others walked, some of the pegasi flew, and Pinkie Pie did not so much walk as... hop? No, that did not seem correct. It was more like she bounced the way a ball would or something. It was almost as if Pinkie Pie was incapable of moving like a normal pony.

Before Shining Armor could say anything, the sound of birds singing filled the air. A spotlight illuminated the balcony of the princess before turning to point down at a stage on the main floor. Standing there was a brown earth pony with gray mane wearing glasses and an ascot.

"Fillies and Gentlecolts," the mare spoke in a voice that carried all the way through the entire room, "As mayor of Ponyville, it is my great pleasure to announce the beginning of The Summer Sun Celebration." She paused to allow for the roaring of the excited crowd before continuing.

"In just a few moments, our town will witness the magic of the sunrise and celebrate this, the longest day of the year. And now, it is my great honor to introduce to you the ruler of our land, the very pony who gives us the sun and the moon each and every day. The good, the wise, the bringer of harmony to all of Equestria: Princess Celestia!"

The birds started singing once again. Up on the balcony, Rarity pulled the rope to open the curtains. The spotlight shined, revealing...

Nothing.

Shining Armor turned his head to look out the window and at the moon. His eyes went wide at the sight. As long as he could remember -- probably for a thousand years -- there had been a shadow on the moon in the shape of a unicorn's head. Now, that shadow was gone.

"This can't be good."