• Published 17th Nov 2013
  • 4,304 Views, 148 Comments

My Little Pony: Friendship is Shining - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



What if Shining Armor had been Celestia's Student

  • ...
5
 148
 4,304

The Not So Great Escape

Twilight Sparkle moved toward the stairs and started down them slowly. She reached out with a hoof, checking each one before settling her weight on it to make sure they did not squeak. Ears perked, she listened as hard as she could for any sound coming from down stairs that was close to her. Lowering her head, she peaked through the railing and scanned the room. Not seeing anypony in sight, she continued her way down the steps.

It had been about ten minutes since Applejack and Shining Armor had left Sweet Apple Acres and headed out to meet with the others before going into The Everfree Forest. This would hopefully mean that nopony would expect her to try and escape now. That way she would be able to sneak out. If she ran, she would be able to catch up with the others about halfway across town. Then she could follow them and go into The Everfree Forest. Once there, she figured Shining Armor would have to let her come with them.

Stepping off the last stair, she quickly walked toward the door.

"Where ya headed?" a deep voice asked.

Jumping and letting out a squeak of surprise, Twilight turned to find the source. There at the doorway stood Big Macintosh. He moved forward, stepping into the room. The large stallion's face looked down at the filly calmly.

"I...I was just going outside," Twilight said, "to.. to get some air. Maybe walk around the farmhouse to work off some of the nervous energy." She smiled, trying to look at him innocently.

"All things considered," Macintosh replied as he moved between Twilight and the door, "ah reckon it best if ya stay inside where it's safe. Now why don't ya head back upstairs 'n keep Apple Bloom and Spike company."

Twilight let out a sigh and turned around. Ears pinned back against her head, she walked back up the stairs and returned to Apple Bloom's room.

"What happened?" Apple Bloom asked.

The yellow earth filly sat on the floor in the middle of the room, a coloring book and box of crayons on front of her. She had set the crayon down as she heard the door opened. Near her, Spike laid curled up on the edge of the rug. After they had finished breakfast and gone upstairs, the young dragon had decided to go back to sleep. This was convenient since it meant Twilight did not either have to let him know or try to get past him as well.

"Your brother caught me," Twilight replied as she headed for the bed. "I need to borrow one of your sheets." Taking a hold of one of them with her teeth, she began pulling it off the bed.

"What f'r?" Apple Bloom asked, getting up and moving toward her friend.

"So I can use it for a rope." Pulling it off the bed, the unicorn filly gave it a quick shake. "Could you help me twist it into a rope?" She then took one corner into her mouth and started trying to twist it.

Apple Bloom watched her in confusion a moment, and considered what to do. She had been asked to keep a secret before Twilight had shared the plan. That meant that Apple Bloom could not tell without betraying her friend's trust, which she figured was enough to keep her out of trouble when others found out. So as long as she did nothing and kept her mouth shut, she was fine. Now she was being asked to actively help in the escape plan. That actually involved her more than she would like.

Moving to the other end of the sheet, Apple Bloom grabbed the opposite corner and started twisting it as well. At first, it seemed to be pointless. After Twilight helped her by telling her to twist the opposite direction, the two of them soon had the sheet looking like a rope.

Twilight went to the window and pushed it open. Taking the sheet, she tied one end into a knot then climbed out the window. The filly draped the impromptu rope over the sill.

"Okay," Twilight said, "Now close the window. The frame and knot should be enough to hold me while I climb down."

"Good luck," Apple Bloom said, then did as she was told.

Twilight picked up the sheet and gave it a firm yank, check on it. Satisfied, she tossed the other end over the edge of the roof. Carefully, she moved to the edge and gripped the sheet tightly. Taking a deep breath, she started climbing down.

That was when she discovered a problem with her plan: the rope was too short. She was dangling from the end of it just below the overhang. It was too far a drop to make without hurting herself as far as she could tell, and there was no way she was going to be able to climb back up.

"Ah, saddle sores," the stuck filly grumbled as she dangled there.

"Need help?" a voice asked, causing Twilight to tense and her eyes to go wide.

There standing on the porch was Big Macintosh. A lantern was held in one hoof, held up to let his face be seen. He looked at Twilight, the slightest hint of his lips being upturned at the ends on his face.

"Do you have, like, a sixth sense or something?" Twilight asked, scowling at the large red stallion.

"Eyup," he replied with a full smile. "'S'called bein' a big brother. Don't think Applejack didn't try 'n sneak out a time or two when she was yer age?" He moved closer to the dangling filly. "Now, do you want help down?"

Twilight continued to try and scowl at Macintosh. After a few seconds, she let out a sigh, her face turning to one of resignation.

"Yes please," she finally said.

Setting the lantern down, Macintosh moved closer to Twilight. Reaching up with his mouth, he took a hold of the filly by the tail. Slowly, the stallion pulled the filly off the end of the rope. After letting her hang upside down from his mouth for a moment, he finally set her down on her hooves. With that done, he walked behind her as they went back into the farmhouse.

"How far did she make it?" Granny Smith asked from her rocking chair.

"Danglin' from the roof," Macintosh replied.

"Rope too short?"

"Eyup."

"You knew too?" Twilight asked, eyes going wide and ears flopping.

"Child," Granny Smith said as she reached out to ruffle Twilight's mane, "You don't get to raise such a big and close family as ours without learning a thing or two, like when a foal is trying to scheme something. I knew what you were planning before you even told Apple Bloom."

"You heard that?" Twilight mentally scolded herself. She should have known better than to assume that the old mare was hard of hearing.

"Naw." Granny gave a wave of her hoof. "Well, I didn't hear your actual words. I did realize you were whisperin' somethin' to Bloom though, and considerin' what happened, it was easy to guess what about.

"Now I know you want to go after yer brother and help, but he asked us to keep an eye on you and make sure you stay safe. Can't rightly let you run off after him then, can we. 'Sides, how do you think he'd feel if something were to happen to you because you went after him."

Twilight looked down at her hooves for a moment, ears drooping. She slid one hoof back and forth against the wood of the floor.

"Shiny is my best friend as well as my big brother," she finally said. "I can't let him go out there alone."

"Now from what I understand," Granny Smith responded, "He ain't alone. He has five of the bravest mares in Ponyville going with him, including our own Applejack. Now, Shining's yer kin, and you have every right to be worried for him. Nopony is gonna take that away from you." Reaching out with a hoof, she placed it under Twilight's chin and lifted the filly's face for them to look at each other.

"But you need to have faith in him," the elderly mare continued. "You need to be strong and believe that he will be okay and return safe and sound."

"What if he doesn't?" Twilight asked.

"Then you'll need to be there for your parents. Now that's enough of that. Why don't you just go on back upstairs and play with Apple Bloom. You might not've noticed, but she looks up to her sister near as much as you do your brother. She may not be showin' it, but she's probably just as scared of you, if not more so."

Twilight looked at Granny Smith a moment, then gave a nod. Turning away from the two, she headed back up the stairs and to Apple Bloom's room. When Twilight opened the door, the yellow filly turned to look at her curiously.

"That din't work neither, huh?"

"No." Twilight walked over to the window. "Your brother was waiting for me again. From what your grandmother said, I don't think any plan is going to work." She pushed the window up slightly and took the end of the sheet. Moving backwards, she pulled back inside.

"So what're you gonna do now?" Apple Bloom asked, getting up from her spot to walk over to her friend.

"Let me introduce you to Miss Smarty Pants," the purple filly replied, "then you can tell me stories about Applejack, and I'll tell you stories about Shiny."

Apple Bloom grinned at the idea. It was such a big smile, Twilight imagined it was what her new friend would look like when she got just want she wanted for Hearth's Warming.