• Published 13th Mar 2012
  • 6,493 Views, 188 Comments

Broken - DiveBomb



Rainbow Dash is haunted by old feelings, but that is the least of Ponyville's worries.

  • ...
15
 188
 6,493

Author's Notes

Broken: Author's Notes

In my years of writing stories and now books, I never thought that FanFiction would be part of my experience. And to think it all started by browsing a few online videos...

A few days after discovering My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, I curiously started what I now like to call "ponysurfing" around YouTube. After a few videos regarding Rainbow Dash (of course), I found at least two movies in the Related Videos column entitled "My Little Dashie Fan Movie." Slightly intrigued, I watched one of them. Needless to say I was confused, so I followed a few links to the FanFiction that every brony knows about. Okay, I said to myself. There must be a reason why this work is so well-known. Then I read the first FanFiction I ever gave a chance. I won't bother you with the details of my reaction to it, for we all can guess what it was. By the way, that is the only 'Human' fic I will ever read. After that the idea of fics became less "groan-worthy" to me and I gave a few more a chance. Mostly ones featuring Rainbow Dash, obviously. I was pleasantly surprised to see such quality in these fics, which is quite something considering how difficult it is to keep my attention to a story. Hence why my choices of books are rather few and far between. Hey I'm picky, sue me.

At the time I was in the middle of rewriting my latest novel (name pending), and quite frankly had been stuck for a while. Days even. I needed something new to break the monotony; a side-project to refresh my mind. Maybe I can try a hand at ponyfiction, I thought. It'd be the first work of mine on the internet, and it's about time I saw what people I don't personally know think about my writing. Even if I don't put a whole lot of planning into it. (that last thought was short-lived.) So I thought about a protagonist. I'm not even going to humor a joke here. I thought about making it an AppleDash fic, just because I thought the idea was cute, regardless of the fact that it had been done before. I knew I could add a new spin on it; a conflict that would drive the two apart and ultimately bring them together.

As the chapters were released I realized that quite a few amount of people were really liking this story, and gave plenty of positive comments which in turn drove me to continue faster than I had planned. There were several forms of inspiration that built the story to what it has become today. Everything from music to parts I took from an old cancelled comic of mine. Obviously it wasn't a pony comic, but there were situations I took from pages I hadn't even drawn out yet, but were merely planned for the future. The most prominent example of this was the hospital scene were Applejack desperately attempts to revive Rainbow Dash, whom dies if only for a few minutes. The quotes and some parts of the scene may not have been the same as the comic idea, but overall it was...pretty similar. Plus it just fit nice and snug in the story, even if there were a few things I had to change about it. Not gonna lie to you, I had to take a break from writing that part because I had to dry my eyes first. It's a lot sadder when you have the animated idea running through your head from an author's perspective.

Apart from the whole AppleDash factor of the story there was obviously the other: the griphon rebellion. CONFLICT AHOY! I wanted Gilda to be the main antagonist because...okay fine, you got me. I had no reason other than the fact that I just plain old didn't like her. You can't blame me for this. The one episode she was in was hellbent to make you dislike her. Plus I was disappointed. The idea of griphons living in Equestria was a cool idea to me, and the one that you see is a total, aggravating little fu-
But yeah. You get my point.

However, Gilda's reasoning to rebel against Ponykind needed to be at least justified in her eyes. Why not have someone with a silver tongue convince her with actual reasons as to why her race needed vengeance? That and the fact that I wanted Discord to be in the story somehow, even if he wasn't a main character. I thoroughly enjoyed his character on the show. Any villain with a need for such mischievous chaos for absolutely no reason is okay with me. Plus I found his voice and mannerisms entertaining.

What else is there...OH! Fight scenes. In the battle of Ponyville, obviously a writer needs to be able to portray such a conflict in a detailed manner. Not to brag, but I've had my share of rodeos in this aspect of writing. Not to mention I find it FUN AS HELL. I dunno, something about choreographing fight scenes in a written work just hits me the right way.

I guess this leads to Pinkie Pie's role in the battle, one of my favorite parts of the story: The Drunken Hoof Style. I got the idea in the simplest way possible too. By watching Jackie Chan's classic Chinese film Drunken Master and writing a scene with our favorite party pony in it. One plus one equals AMAZING BUCKING IDEA.

Well I guess that's all I can really think of to say about Broken. Some of this I've written in blog posts or in private messages with inquisitive readers, but I figured I'd put all my thoughts into this little note. This story was my first work of ANYTHING that I've put on the internet, and I'm still overjoyed that people like it so much. You guys really helped my low self-esteem there! But seriously. I've said this a bunch of times before and I'll say it again: thank you all for the continued support of this story, as well as my new works. It wouldn't be what it is today without you. I put a lot of heart into Broken, and it's good to see that you all appreciated it.

-=-From the Desk of DiveBomb-=-

Comments ( 48 )

515236 While it is a seldom occurrence, a person (or in this case a pony) with sudden cases of severe heart palpitations or anxiety attacks can suffer ruptured blood vessels from the erratic pressure. I took this case from what happened with my stepmother a few years back. Part of me was kind of waiting for someone to pick up on this :D

515458
Thank you for the explanation, that clears up a bit.
As far as the rest of your story goes, it was excellent! I'll be tracking you from now on.

515727 I'm glad you liked it buddy. If you wish to continue in the universe of Broken then read Spectrum of Light. Kind of an optional sequel :D
And about the age thing: I guess that's just me being old-fashioned. :applejackunsure:

Wow... just amazing. A perfect combo of action, passion, and romance. This is the best fic ive read thus far and I doubt i will find another like it. This story brought alot of happiness to my heart, and I doubt I will forget it anytime soon.
Thanks for your work!

583257 If I can make people happy with my stories, then my work as a writer has been more than fulfilled. Thanks buddy.

And if you want another good AppleDash story, check out "Applecores and Rainbows." It's one of the only two fics I've read, and it's pretty great.

>> DiveBomb okay, will do

Okay please could you just tell me what happends to the GRYPHONS? THEY ARE DEAD? NO MORE GRIFFINS? THEY HAD BEEN MURDERED?

585972 Spectrum of Light covers a lot more about them later on in the story.

586753Thanks, i through i have to load my sniper rifle. :pinkiesad2:

What is this I just read? THIS WAS THE BEST BUCKING APPLEDASH STORY I'VE EVER READ!!!! I WISH THERE WAS A "FAVORITE 5 BILLION TIMES" BUTTON JUST SO I COULD USE IT ON THIS FIC ALONE!!!!!! YOU ARE A SPECTACULAR AUTHOR AND MY OFFICIAL NEW ROLE MODEL!!!!!! :rainbowkiss: I'm in love :heart:

This is so amazing I can't even put it into words. No joke. I am laying here speechless

( :pinkiehappy: at the "Youuuuuu can't kill meeeeeee! I'm the freekin GINGERBREAD MAN!!!" Made my LIFE, bro. True story :moustache: )

737119 Well there's no way I can't reply to this comment. First off, thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it...so much! Second, did I really use the word MAN in a ponyfiction? God I wish I could revise this story. And kudos on the Stinson reference.

Lol, no prob :rainbowdetermined2: And I MAY have typed that instead of copy-pasta, so it may be wrong. But even if it wasn't wrong, no brony feels any hate towards you.And if they do, come to me. I shall set them straight :pinkiecrazy:

737212

(Forgot to mention in last reply :derpyderp2: )

Even IF she said "MAN" (which she did, I checked), it just contributes to the fan-concept of Pinkie's ability to break the Fourth Wall. She said something that chalked up to her being drunk or just being Pinkie Pie. Or both :pinkiehappy:

737304 Sure! Let's go with that. Lol

*gives this a read because she was completely in the mood for it*

Well no wonder TitW was such a good story. I sense prior experience, and a lot of it! :rainbowkiss: I think this is where people are supposed to give out moustaches but I don't have one to give, so you get a derp, derp.

You're probably a writer I'll follow no matter where your ideas take you, I reckon. Ever since I read the first few chapters of TitW I always loved your style completely, but you had it even before that too, apparently! Anyways I'll stop being needlessly flattering now :pinkiehappy: Turnip awaaaay~

1139094 Awwww! :pinkiesad2: Thank you!

As rushed as this story was, I am still surprised at its rating. Maybe one of these days I'll rewrite it. And you're right, ponies aren't the first thing I've written about. From from it, in fact. But this story is indeed the first written work I've ever posted to the internet.

1146549 It has a good rating because it's good :P There are a few scattered things here and there that could be made better, but the same can be said of anything, and TitW was already a good improvement over this in the first place, so you clearly got better since this was written anyways.

I've been writing for almost as long as I've been doing art... but I'd never shown it to anyone except my closest friends until this year. I have a lot of experience too, without really having any public experience at all. It's a weird thing, how that can be.

1146712 I'll have to set aside the time to read your stuff then! Sounds good already. Who knows, maybe I'll be a fan of your writing as well as your art.

1146763 No don't do that nothing I have uploaded is any good it's just drivel :applecry: *hides* Let me be your fan, damn it :rainbowlaugh:

1146781 Now just because you said that I have to read all of your stories and draw fanart for each one :pinkiecrazy:

1146806 NOT IF I DO YOU MORE FANART FIRST :flutterrage:

1146818 OH GAWD NO I CAN'T TAKE THE FLATTERY

1146828 I read that as "Fluttershy" and was like, you can't handle Fluttershy? :fluttershysad: This is why I should sleep at night instead of being a silly person. Now to find a way to somehow do something more awesome than the Colt of the West screen.

1146840 Oh you don't have to do that. I loved the Title Screen enough. It was just nice to see that someone liked the story that much. :yay:

1178589 Old Chinese Jackie Chan films. Drunken Master and then Legend of the Drunken Master :D

Maybe you can do a what-if, what if dash died in chapter 9? Will appledash happen? I'm a crappy writer so hope you can do this! Oh yes I'll give you three choices of what-ifs lol.
1. Dash dies in chapter nine and applejack is not able to revieve her then what will happen?
2. Dash dies for a short time, her parents tell her its not her time...
3. Dash lost the battle and her life what will happen with our heroines down or dead?

1576880 Don't try too hard this story's a trainwreck. Thanks though

1577739 There was a sequel, but it was even worse than this. It was sent to the Sun to pay for its crimes against the world.

1577739 I'm working on the sequel to this. Though the first chapter is short.. And I kinda forgot to read the epilogue. But I'll find a way to incorporate it.

i just want to say no i need to say that this has been the best AppleDash fic i have ever read. and lets just say iv read way too many. it was so wwll done an it has helped me so much with my own appledash fic that i hope to be posting soon. i cried like a baby at times an laughed at others. it kept me in suspense. i would reallylove for you to write more about this. but judging by your incredible detail wih this fic i would absolutely love to the read a passionate love seen between the two. i woild apriciate it if you wouod please consider my suggestion. thank you for this wonderfull story. im going to read this again an again.

515791 So i have been looking everywhere for Spectrum of Light and i can't find it. i know of Shattered which lead me to this story as i wanted to read this first (the 2 chapters of Shattered were great IMO). so yea where can i find Spectrum of Light?

2138826 Ah, that comment was made when that story was still around. Spectrum of Light was deleted a while back. It's actually a good thing, the story was absolutely horrible. Trust me, you aren't missing anything.

2139291 hm well now i'm even more curious about it. anyway what do you think of Shattered?

2142296 I'm wishing he would update it so I could see where he takes the story :rainbowlaugh:

2142381 :rainbowlaugh: me too. If you don't mind me asking, what books have you written? you mentioned that you were an author and after this journey into fics of yours I would like to read your other books. Also if you wanted to read some more fics that IMO are amazing check out Upheaval: Breaking Point and Upheaval: Reckoning by Visiden Visidane. It's an adventure story that well it's way to hard to describe lets just say the both parts are over 100 000 words and Reckoning isn't finished yet. Also if you want a good AppleDash fic there is "A Rainbow forms" by TheRainbowDashShow there are 6 parts I think but its one of the best AppleDash fics I've read (besides yours) and like you i am picky when it comes to books.

2148362 I don't have anything that's published, if that's what you're asking.

And sorry, but I actually don't read ponyfiction. I stopped a while ago.

2148541 aw thats too bad, i would have liked to read your stories (if i found them interesting) but you are a good writer. and that sucks there are good ones out there

So, after entirely too long in my "read later" folder, I finally DL'd this to my phone and read it while on the road for business, and I'm sorry, but ultimately, the best word I can come up with is "disappointing." Chapters one through four or so are some of the best, deepest, and most original love story I've ever read, but then for no reason whatsoever the story turns into a Dragonball Z episode, complete with characters being thrown through buildings with no damage. No explanation, no reasoning, no logic.

Honestly, if you would have just left the griffon subplot out entirely, this would have been a 5-star story for me, the interpersonal writing was good enough to warrant it. And for what it's worth, your Brae/Daring stories are still some of the best I've read in a long, LONG time, so take my opinion here with a grain of salt.

2285704 Finally, someone gets how terrible this enormous train wreck is. If the darned thing wasn't rated the way it was, I would have deleted it a long time ago.

2287201
But it is really very good story. :yay:

I haven't started the story yet but that picture got my feels going and from the tags I can tell I'm probably gonna cry *sigh* yay.

I'm not gonna post a comment because I just realized that there is a sequel so I'm just gonna say good job very good story.

2901139 Well no, there is not an official sequel anymore. It was deleted because it was worse than this atrocity, but I'm glad you liked it!

However, there is a fan-made sequel by Shadow Wind called Shattered.

4706480
Your name just screams for people to love it.

BIG SPOILERS. STAY AWAY.

SRSLY.

I'm writing this a couple days after reading so things are a little fuzzy. If I miss out on key things it's just whatever. I'll start off with the good, cause there is some really juicy shit in here. Some of the dialogue is just fucking delicious. Some of the deliveries of character quirks and shit are pretty great. Then, you describe a sense of dread quite well. The general grammar and sentence structure was passable/consistent enough, too.

Everything else was either painfully average or just huureghbleh. I mean wow. Heart palpitations from fucking love? Are you kidding me? I wouldn't have minded so much if it wasn't, like, a driving plot device. And of course it was from a dream she's been having. Now, I will admit it was an o-k sequence to have the doctor wave her bills then to find out she lost her job cause she wasn't really sick, yada yada. at least, it was cool at first.

Why the fuck wouldn't she just, like, yo doc can you tell my boss I was in the hospital? Or fuck, just fly to the place and show him her fucked up scars n' shit? Nah, man! Don't do that! That would ruin the plot.

Easily the best part of this story is the shit with Gilda, and even then it was a backseat-plot to Rainbow's spiraling bullshit depression. Probably because we were only told what we need to know about their situation. No excess information (or maybe a little, whatever) was vomitted at me. As a reader, I don't need context before a situation every time. It gets old. A good example would be Rainbow's love for AJ, and Pinkie's drunken fist.

We had no fucking clue Pinkie was such a beast until it happened. We learned through dialogue as it was happening, and that's what made it so fucking great. We weren't deposited a fuck ton of exposition about how she trained with some dude in the mountains or some other bullshit. Here's her thing, here's her doing the thing, bam. Situation, context, resolution.

Then we have Rainbow & AJ - I think the ENTIRE first chapter and majority of the second were literally just dumping exposition onto the reader about her feelings, how she rejects it, w/e. It's just...god, everyone does it nowadays and it's old as fuck.

Okay, so the fight scene came out of left field. I...can't really bitch too much? We knew it was coming eventually. I hate how Gilda turned super evil for like no fucking reason at all, dude. I mean, sure she was a cunt in the show, and even at the start of her story she was a respectable person! But then when they're fighting, she's totally down with killing Dash and enjoying it? The character arc took a dive bomb to shit right there man.

So. Biggest problem. Rainbow Dash is a fucking pussy this entire story. The only sliver of hope I managed to scrounge was when she did the sonic rainboom after getting rejected and was like, "Fuck her. I'll be fine!" and I was like...well, shit. That was unexpected. Sweet!

Then she immediately goes back to being a whiny cunt. Like jesus christ, I agree that Dash (in common pony fic) would have a lot of secrets cooped up, but here...one thing goes wrong, and her fucking life is over. The entire plot is centered around this. Fuck me, dude.

I'm fed-up with stories where Rainbow is this damaged mare who needs help healing her broken widdle heart. Are you kidding me!? She's freakin' Rainbow Dash!

-Kildeez

Anyways, this story is old as balls. It's forgivable that this has as many horrible cliches and shit. 2012 was just that kind of time where we wanted to read depressing fics so we could relate to the unrealistic, stupid shit the character was going through, even if it was complete bullshit. I couldn't finish this, though. The part where Dash "died" then the fucking beep jesus titty fucking christ i cringed so hard.

geez. I need something cool to heal my vision of Dash.

pre00.deviantart.net/7d57/th/pre/f/2015/030/9/2/rainbow_dash_eg_by_flutterthrash-d8g0za4.png

...sweet.

"An AppleDash story with a side of chaos." ... Now that sounds very much like something from shortskirtsandexplosions...
starts the reading
Ok, so there is a Discord in this.
Applejack coming to terms with her orientation.
Red flame healing Rainbow Dash and voices. Yeah, definitely seeing parallels with a certain author's 200 chapter epic (which is reaching its 9th book in the series).
Smooth talking Gilda... For a moment feeling as though Discord's spirit managed to jump into her, giving her all his powers. Was wondering if she/he was just going to return and crash all happiness.
Not sure how I feel about this whole... Prejudism, possibly racism thing going on.
But you know what? In the end, it was a great ride! Loved almost every part of it! The AppleDash adopting Scootaloo part has been done before, but hey, love it either way. Also, Scootaloo performing the Sonic Rainboom was a nice touch, though mentioning a touch of darker orange and extra purple would've made it a little more unique (even if I think only rainbow maned ponies can pull off the exact spectra trail we know).

Login or register to comment