• Published 17th Nov 2013
  • 3,206 Views, 91 Comments

Real Equestrian Heroes - skyace



After a sabotage mission goes wrong, a team of GI Joes find themselves transported to Equestria.

  • ...
7
 91
 3,206

Fighting For Freedom, Wherever There's Trouble

G.I. Joe is the codename for a clandestine, highly specialized rapid response unit. Their original mission; to defend the interests and lives of America and its citizens against any and all threats deemed too sensitive to entrust to regular military forces. With the rise of the global terrorist organization known only as Cobra, their mission has shifted almost exclusively to the pursuit and elimination of the sinister figure known simply as the Cobra Commander.

Over the course of many years of raid and counter-raid, intrigue, espionage and even pitched battle, GI Joe has successfully thwarted Cobra’s desire for total world domination. The MASS Device, The Weather Dominator, alternate timelines, time travel, all these and many other schemes were foiled by the courage and sacrifice of the heroic men and women of GI Joe. And yet, with each successive defeat Cobra Commander has simply slithered back into the shadows, only reappear stronger than ever with even more devastating weapons than before.

Snake Eyes held his breath as yet another patrol of Vipers marched past his position, blissfully unaware that not two feet from them lurked the most deadly assassin the world had ever seen. Snake Eyes toyed with the handle of his combat knife, but refrained from molesting the oblivious Cobra troopers. This mission was too vital to risk one of the Vipers escaping long enough to raise an alarm. Poking his head from the side door he had concealed himself behind when he had heard the enemy approaching, he scanned both directions down the long corridor he and his team had been creeping down moments before.

“Damn it Snake!”

Speaking of…

“Would it kill ya to give me a little warning before shov’n me head first int’a broom closet?”

The masked commando cast a glance over his shoulder at the irate balaclava clad Army Ranger, and signed one handed *Forgive me for not allowing you to stumble headfirst into that Viper patrol instead*.

Beach Head narrowed his eyes at the ninja. “Cut the smartass. Ya’ve done nuthin’ but shove me around since we got here. Just gimme a friggen heads up next time.”

Snake Eyes sighed. Beach Head was an unholy terror in a firefight, the best drill instructor to come out of Fort Benning Ranger School, and universally famed for his lack of tact in conversation. Before he could reply to the Ranger’s grumbling, the third member of the infiltration team cautiously slipped out into the hallway. The tall red-haired woman cast a wary glance back in the direction the patrol had disappeared in, before turning a glare on the irate Beach Head. “Cut the chatter Ranger man. I have zero desire to be on the receiving end of one of Cobra’s interrogation squads.”

“Well excuse me fer grip’n, but maybe Ah don’t like the idea of sneaking into a place that we should be leveling.”

The chief of intelligence for the GI Joe team, aka Scarlett narrowed her eyes at her companion. “You know very well why General Hawk vetoed that idea. This base is too close to a civilian population center to make such an attack worth the collateral damage.”

Beach Head grunted sourly. “Yeah, yeah, Ah get it. I just ain’t cut out for this sneakin’ an’ hidin’ bullshit. That’s supposed tah be the spooks job, I just blow stuff up.”

The spook in question snapped his fingers to gain his comrades attention before signing; *You two quite done? I would like to accomplish this mission with a minimum of running and shooting.*

Ignoring the smirking red-head and spluttering Ranger, Snake Eyes carefully crept around the corner and began working on overriding the electronic locks on the door at the end of the hallway. After a few seconds of splicing wires, mixed with a judicial amount of brute force, the door slid open with a pneumatic hiss. All three Joes peered out into what could only be a massive hanger, filled to capacity with Cobra mechanics and soldiers crawling over various aircraft and equipment.

What drew the Joes full attention; however, was what was to all intents and purposes a massive aircraft-carrier, currently hovering above the hanger deck suspended by multiple giant helicopter blades. Beach Head shook his head in disgust. “Welp, I’m calling it. This mission just went from ‘sneak in and sabotage’ to ‘holy hell, call in an airstrike cause we’re in over our heads’. You wanna make the call or should I?”

Scarlett ignored the grumbling ranger, instead focusing on the Cobra Helicarrier. “Much as I hate to agree with Sgt. Major Grunt’n’Growl, he does have a point. We simply are not equipped to handle something of this magnitude.”

She finally addressed Beach Head directly, “Get Team Bravo on the horn, we need to pull back and radio General Hawk for reinforcements.”

Beach Head grimaced; “Ah hate to break radio silence, but ah guess there’s no help fer it.”

Removing the portable radio from his pack, Beach Head entered the coded signal to alert the second GI Joe team in the base to an encrypted message. Receiving the appropriate response, he began transmitting “Alpha to Bravo, scrub the infiltration. We’re in over our heads and need to regroup.”

The radio unit hissed for a few seconds, then the reply came through in a deep Mississippi accent “Bravo here, read you loud and clear. Best let your ninja know, his student decided to sneak aboard the snake’s carrier.”

Snake Eyes stiffened; Scarlet placed a hand on his shoulder in an attempt to calm him. Beach Head gave Snake Eyes a glare after acknowledging the secondary team’s information. “Well that’s just great. Roadblock and Tunnel Rat are on their own with no ninja back-up. Ya may wanna inform your student just what ‘team-work’ means in this outfit”.

Scarlet shot Beach Head a warning glance, before attempting to reason with an increasingly angry ninja-commando; “I’m sure Kamakura had a good reason for leaving his team. We had best rendezvous with the second team and find out just what would have possessed Kamakura to infiltrate without backup.”

A scant twenty minutes of careful footwork led to the two Joe teams meeting in a secluded supply room at the rear of the hanger. Beach Head wasted no time accosting his fellow team-mates on the disappearance of the younger ninja. “Well, did he give ya any explanation, or has Snake Eyes been training the punk in the ‘honorable way of ninja silence’!”

Roadblock was quick to come the defense of the absent Joe; “Ease up on my man Kamakura Beach, this situation has gotten hairier than you all realize”.

Tunnel Rat nodded in agreement, “What youse guys need to know, is those dirty snakes are cooking up a mess of trouble of the MASS variety”.

Scarlet gave the diminutive demolitions expert a sharp look; “What do you mean, MASS! The Joe team destroyed the original MASS device, and the DOD maintains a device of our own to counter any further attempts to utilize similar devices.”

Roadblock handed over a flash drive with an explanation of its contents; “Kamakura managed to lift this offa one of those Cobra officers that we saw embarking onto the helicarrier. The contents prove beyond a shadow of doubt that not only has Cobra designed and built a second MASS device, but managed to improve on the original design, effectively nullifying any effects our own device may have. Near as we can figure, Cobra plans to use that flying soup-can to keep their device on the move, thus making detection infinitely more difficult.”

Tunnel Rat decided to chip in his own two cents of info, “The helicarrier looks to act as more than just a way to keep MASS mobile. I saw both Destro, AND the big bad head snake embarking with both of their command staff.”

Scarlet clenched a fist, and peeked around the corner at the helicarrier looming above everything within the area. “So Cobra Commander himself is aboard that thing? He apparently believes this operation too important to leave to subordinates. Of course, it could be an elaborate feint, an attempt to draw our attention to the big obvious target while their true operation goes off un-hindered.”

Beach Head nodded in agreement. “Ah guess we won’t know fer certain until we hear back from the junior spook.”

“Speak of the Devil, and he shall appear”.

Beach Head was an Army Ranger, the Best of The Best, and he most certainly did not jump when a voice whispered in his ear. What he did do, is swing around and attempt to throttle the @%#!% ninja apprentice who seemed to think that sneaking up on a Ranger in the bowels of an enemy base was a good way to get a laugh. Unfortunately, attempting to throttle and actually getting his hands on the little snot were two very different matters, especially since said snot was a freaking ninja. He finally had to settle for directing a million watt glare into the ceiling vent the aforementioned ninja snot was currently sheltering in.

“Damn it all to hell and back Kamakura, I’ve warned you not to sneak up on me like that! Yer just lucky Ah tried to strangle you instead of going with mah first inclination”.

Kamakura decided the coast was clear, and cautiously stuck his head out of the vent.

“And how, pray tell, is strangling me not the worst thing I could expect from scaring you?”

“Ah was going fer my gun”.

“…Point taken”.

Kamakura finally slid himself completely from his hiding spot, only to find himself confronted by his Sensei. Snake Eyes’ full face mask made detecting his moods based on body language difficult, but it was apparent even to those unfamiliar with the commando that he was barely controlling his anger.

*First, you do not abandon your teammates in the middle of a mission. Second, you do not attempt to startle said teammates, WHILE DEEP IN ENEMY TERRITORY. If Beach Head had been unable to control himself, even if you had been able to avoid his fire, the shots would have alerted any enemy forces that you were in the area, thus getting yourself and your entire team KILLED!*

Kamakura visibly wilted under his Sensei’s tirade. Snapping his heals together, he bowed low at the waist to both his master, and the still fuming Beach Head.

“My apologies Sensei, and to you Sargent Major, for my thoughtless actions. I will not attempt to startle you while in the field again.”

Beach Head gave out a subdued snort through his balaclava. “Apology accepted soldier. Just keep your fool head on straight so it don’t get blown off.”

Kamakura snapped a salute, before turning to give his report to the rest of the Joes.

“Right, I assume Tunnel Rat and Roadblock have already filled you in on the MASS device?”

At Scarlett’s affirming nod, he continued “Well, it’s a little worse than that.”

Snake Eyes leaned forward slightly *How can it be worse than Cobra having the ability to attack any point on the globe without warning?*

Kamakura’s face grew grim. “It would appear, from what I overheard Cobra Commander and Destro discussing, that Dr. Mindbender has somehow been able to prove the existence of parallel universes. They have apparently been utilizing one that they codenamed ‘Cobra-La’ to stockpile resources and train new troops.”

Scarlett looked up from her perusal of the information Kamakura had liberated. “He’s telling the truth guys, it seems that this apparently barren ‘alternate earth’ does indeed exist, and Cobra has been using it as their own private equipment locker. What we thought was a MASS device is actually a portal to this Cobra-La dimension. Cobra is equipping for a full scale war.”

Tunnel Rat groaned “Well, that’s just great. Now we’re REALLY in over our heads. I’m with Beach on this one guys, we need to get back to General Hawk so’s we can bring the big guns down on the snakes.”

Before any of the other Joes could agree, there was sudden metallic shriek, as though someone had ripped a giant sheet of aluminum foil in half. Beach Head gave a sudden pained grunt, as an arrow seemed to grow from his chest. Before anyone could react, he had reached up and tugged the missile free from his body armor.

“Damn Sonova… Ah think it broke a rib.”

Snake Eyes was already in motion, drawing his short ninjato from his back and deflecting a second arrow aimed for Roadblock’s forehead. Suddenly the small room they were sheltering in was awash in crimson coated bodies, as Cobra Commander’s personal army of assassins, the Red Ninjas attacked the small Joe force with sword, bow and spear. Kicking one of the ninjas back through the door, Snake Eyes led the way in a running battle towards the exit. Kamakura parried a katana strike with one hand, while using the second to flick a knife into the throat of a ninja attempting to finish Beach Head. The Ranger in question was swearing up a storm, all while using the butt of his M16 to bludgeon one ninja who had gotten too close. Scarlet was currently engaged with two ninja wielding the sickle and chain, or kusarigama, while a great chattering roar followed by three red ninja falling from the rafters showed Roadblock had entered the fray with his .50 caliber “Ma-Deuce” machine gun. Tunnel Rat ducked an arrow, and responded with a grenade, taking out both the sniper and the jeep he had been using for cover.

Needless to say, all this activity was quick to attract attention of the serpent variety. The Joe squad soon found themselves dodging not just ninjas, but also full and semi-automatic fire from the Cobra troopers stationed throughout the hanger. Fortunately for the Joes, the exit was close enough that by the time the regular terrorist soldiers had realized they had been infiltrated, it was too late to bring much more than desultory fire against them. With the need for stealth long gone, the Joes sped through the rest of the base at top speed, mowing down any resistance that dared to oppose them. Soon they had breached the doors leading to the outside world, and began double-timing it to the wooded copse where they had stashed their ride. While Roadblock ripped the camouflage cover off of their VAMP jeep (Vehicle, Attack, Multi-Purpose) Scarlett turned her attention to tending injuries, while Snake Eyes began scanning their back trail for signs of pursuit. Beach Head had reluctantly removed his body armor and was glaring in disgust at the damage the arrow had caused. “Damn Ninja. Ah just got this piece broken in all nice ‘n comfy. And while Ah’m on the subject of ninja…” He turned a gimlet eye on Kamakura “Ah’m guessing someone wasn’t as sneaky as he thought.”

Kamakura winced as Scarlet dug a shuriken out of his shoulder, and scowled right back at his accuser. “I wasn’t seen! I saw the Red Ninja while I was scouting the helicarrier, but they were all clustered around Cobra Commander. There’s no way anyone saw me either coming or going!”

Snake Eyes snapped his fingers for attention, before rapidly signing *Kamakura didn’t have to be seen. The arrow that struck Beach Head was fired THROUGH the wall. Only one person that I know of has the ‘Ear That Sees’.*

Roadblock looked up from where he was tending a long cut across Tunnel Rat’s back. “The Ear that Does What now?”

Scarlett took it upon herself to answer for Snake Eyes. “The Ear That Sees is the name for a genetic trait passed down through ninja families. It refers to the ability to hear sounds with such pinpoint accuracy, that it’s as though the listener could ‘see’ what they were hearing, even though solid walls. There are stories that there were even attempts to selectively breed the trait. As of now, there is only one man with that ability known.”

Snake Eyes nodded grimly, and once again began signing; *My one-time sword-brother, Storm Shadow.*

Tunnel Rat held up his hand at this point “Whoa whoa, back up. I thought the guy wasn’t work’n for those Cobra goons no more. Wasn’t he like, brainwashed into it or somethin’?”

Beach Head snorted as he began buckling his damaged armor back on. “Yeah, well, what’s to stop old Fang Face from grabbing his onetime bodyguard and starting over? Ah can personally think of at least two times ol’ Stormy got hisself brainwashed, only to break free and start the whole dance over again.”

Further conversation was cut short, as the Joe’s position began shaking as a thumping roar began filtering through the trees. Looming over them, the unmistakable silhouette of the Cobra helicarrier could be seen rising from its concealed hanger. Also apparent, was the shimmering outline that surrounded the massive craft, seaming to pulse with every color of the rainbow.

Roadblock squinted at the weirdly shimmering outline of Cobra’s most fearsome weapon. “Do my eyes deceive me, or is that hunk of junk glowing?”

Scarlet was observing the phenomenon through a set of binoculars. “It’s not just glowing, it seems to be…shimmering. It almost resembles the aurora borealis, but it’s not confined to the surrounding air. It appears that the entire helicarrier is losing cohesion.”

The Joe team watched in awe and not a little fear at the weirdly beautiful sight before them. The pulses of color were coming at faster intervals now, and right before their eyes, the entire craft began to fade and lose definition. Suddenly, the pulses turned an angry red and black, with arcs of electricity flashing like miniature thunderstorms around the helicarrier’s hull. Tunnel Rat blinked; “Um, is it supposed to be doing that?!”

Kamakura swallowed, and then tentatively spoke up. “I, may have switched a couple of the wires in the MASS devices control column.”

The other Joes swung around on him, with Beach Head speaking for them. “Whut do yew mean, ‘may have’ switched some wires’?”

Scarlett was next. “Kamakura, this is completely unknown technology. What could have possessed you to try and sabotage a device that could rip a hole through time and space?!”

Kamakura flushed beneath his mask. “I didn’t know it wasn’t actually a MASS device, okay? I figured that at least Cobra wouldn’t be able to teleport any troops until we had a chance to call the cavalry, and best case scenario they would end up blowing themselves to hell and back! It wasn’t until I overheard the Commander and Destro talking that I knew it was something other than MASS!”

Further conversation was cut short, as with a shrieking whine that caused the Joes to press their hands to their heads with pain, the red and black field began pulsing with greater rapidity. Before the Joes could react, there was a blinding flash, a noise like a jet engine over speeding, and then… the void opened up and swallowed them.

Another dimension, another time and place

“Right then, where to now?”

“What do you mean, ‘where to now’? Isn’t nearly getting your head blown off by a phaser cannon enough of an adventure for one day?”

“Oh come now my dear assistant, you should know by now that some beings just are naturally jumpy. Nothing wrong with a little jumpiness, can keep you alive in the right circumstances.”

“Landing in a ‘No Parking’ zone?”

“Oh all right, perhaps less jumpy and more completely paranoid. You’d think they’d never seen a blue box just materialize out of thin air before. Any-who, back to my original question, what would you say to a nice, relaxing visit to PX-214? It’s lovely this time of year; you can see both moons as they rise above the mountains.”

“Um, Doctor?”

“Or what about sunbathing on the beaches of Malakar?”

“Dooooctor…”

“Ooh, I know, I’ll take you wind surfing through the canyons of Gibboon, its loads of fun so long as there’s no homicidal metal men trying to delete you from existence.”

“DOCTOR!!!”

“Yes Derpy?”

“Should that screen be flashing ‘DANGER’ over and over?”

“What?! No, no, nonononono, a thousand times no, that’s most decidedly not good.”

“And by not good, is this ‘The Cyber Ponies are invading again’, or ‘oh no, I’ve burned another batch of muffins’ not good?”

“Not good, as in there’s a rift opening in the veil between universes, as in the same type of rift that stranded me here.”

“Well, how’s that not good? You can finally go home! You can see all your friends… I mean,… oh.”

“Yes, your remembering what I said when we met now, aren’t you? No one to go back to, your all I have now, so on and so forth, but what concerns me now is that fact that while your world was extremely lucky that the worst thing to come through before was myself and a few lost Cybermen, this time, with the size of the hole being ripped in the fabric of the universe, it can be nothing less than an entire invasion force from who knows where!”

The Doctor began throwing various items out of a supply closet, barely missing his wall-eyed companion. Ducking under a suddenly air-born toaster, Ditzy “Derpy Hooves” Doo attempted to pump the enigmatic Time Lord for more information.

“But, how do you know that they’re hostile? They could be really nice, like those funny little green fluff balls from Weewok 5?”

“Trust me when I say this, my dear Derpy, this is not the first alternate universe I’ve found myself in. Of course it’s the first where I’ve not been bipedal (still miss thumbs), but that’s not the point and I’m rambling again. Point is, I got a good look at what was coming through that portal, and believe me when I say that it is an invading force of the worst kind. I managed to see the craft they were piloting, and it will be filled to the brim with the most evil, clever, ruthless life forms to threaten peaceful worlds since the Daleks. AH HA!”

With that lusty cheer, the Doctor pulled what looked to Derpy like a space suit for a tall biped out of the storage compartment.

“I knew I still had it around, love a good space suit, space suits are cool. Now, here’s what’s going to have to happen. So long as that portal is open, there’s a chance more of those nasty chaps in the snake costumes will come through, so I need to work to close that rift as soon as possible.”

Derpy poked at one of the sleeves of the space suit. “So, you’re going to use this to go out there and fix the hole in space?”

The Doctor looked appalled; “Me, got out there to close a rip in the universal fabric clad in that old thing? No, no my dear that suit is for you.”

Now it was Derpy’s turn to look shocked. “You want me to fix it?!”

The Doctor slapped a hoof across his eyes. “No my dear girl, I’ll be staying in the TARDIS to effect the repairs, while you will use the suit to hitch a ride with that craft back to Equestria.”

Derpy’s eyes seemed to go even more crossed, if that were possible. “You want me to ride a ship full of deadly invaders through space, and reenter the atmosphere of the planet while wearing something that wasn’t even designed for ponies to wear?!”

“Oh don’t worry; the suit is just a temporary measure as you drift into the path of the incoming ship. Once you enter the field of unstable particles surrounding the ship, you’ll also be broken down into your basic atomic makeup and transported via the ships universal drive to the planet’s surface, where you’ll re-constitute along with the ship and be able to warn those nice Element Bearers that they have to get everyone to a safe place until I can stabilize the rift and come to help.”

“That explanation just made me more worried Doctor.”

As they had been speaking, the Doctor had been helping Derpy into the space suit, and pushing her towards the front of his ship. As the Doctor reached the doors to the TARDIS, he turned and looked into Derpy’s eyes with a small, sad smile. “Derpy, what’s rule number one?”

Derpy swallowed, then replied shakily; “Always trust the Doctor?”

The Doctor’s smile grew. “Brilliant Derpy, exactly. Now don’t worry, I’ll be along just as soon as I’ve either closed the rift, or found help. On the off chance that I can’t make it in time, and you should encounter the beings on that vessel, there’s something you need to remember.”

Derpy nodded, her full attention on the slightly mad pony that had taken her on so many adventures before. “What’s that, Doctor?”

The Doctor’s eyes hardened; “If I’m right about who is on that ship, they will call themselves ‘Cobra’, and will have a large snake on some portion of their uniforms. Do Not Trust Them! Not matter what they say, no matter what they may try to offer Equestria, they are dangerous, and they will kill anyone (or anypony) who tries to get between them and whatever they may want. If however, and I pray I’m right, there are some who call themselves ‘GI Joes’ and have a small flag with stars and stripes on their uniform, they will help you and any other innocent threatened by Cobra. Be safe, be careful, and keep watch for either group.” The Doctor suddenly was smiling again. “Now, are you ready for the ride of your life?”

Derpy glanced around the open door at the approaching mass. “Um, well, now that you mention it…”

“Excellent! ALLONSY, my Assistant!”

And with that, Derpy was falling.

Author's Note:

YO FRIGGIN JOE!! Well, we're off and running. If anyone wants to know where I'm getting my characterizations for my Joe team, well the answer is a little bit of everywhere. I've drawn inspiration from multiple cartoon shows, the comics, official filecards, other fanfics, and a little from the live action theatrical movies (by the way, Rise of Cobra was meh, Retaliation was awesome).
Since Snake Eyes is mute, he's going to be a tough character to write for, especially once he meets the ponies for the first time. For now, all his dialog will be bracketed like so *e.g.*, at least until I figure out how to use the italicize option on this site. That will signify he is using sign language. Also, while I probably won't ship any ponies outside of cannon (e.g. Shining Armor/Cadence), Snake Eyes and Scarlett will be shipped like FedEx. Get your minds out of the gutter, this ain't a clop fic. This will be rated teen for good wholesome violence and Snake Eyes shooting and stabbing anything that looks at him wrong. Have fun!!