• Published 10th Dec 2013
  • 2,764 Views, 99 Comments

Kind Hearts & Coronets - Shinzakura



Before she was a mother with regrets, she was a maiden in love: the love story of Rarity and Silversteel. An All-American Girl prequel

  • ...
17
 99
 2,764

II: Hearts Are Built Like Rubber, So You'll Be Alright

The next morning, Rarity awoke to the deep rumble of gears turning. At first, she thought it was just a hangover, but when she heard a voice shout out, “Twi, would you please turn that thing off?” she knew it was something else. So, after a quick shower, she made herself presentable for the day as she stepped out of the bedroom she occupied in Twilight’s tower.

Stepping out of her room, she remembered the first time she was here she was amazed and ever thankful that Celestia had allowed her to stay in one of the rooms in the palace. Had Rarity known at the time that the room was actually one of the guest rooms in the tower she’d allotted to Twilight, things might have been different. But in the years since, Twilight had done some renovations on “her” tower, and one of those was the giant contraption that floated in the center void.

“Sorry!” Twilight’s voice shouted down from below. “I thought I’d cleaned out all the smooze from the last time I ran this thing! That’s what’s making the grinding noise!”

Teleporting down to where Twilight was – she’d learned a few spells over the years – Rarity looked up at it from her friend’s viewpoint. “What is it?”

“Pandimensional Focusing Locus – it’s a loxocosm designed to test theories on paries quartum and fractal vibrations. There’re some theories on other realities that I was curious about, so I’m working on that.”

“What’s a loxocosm?”

“Oh, that’s just a type of clockwork planetarium that specifically covers our geocentric model of the astral plane, though a loxocosm is magically charged and used for specific astronomical, astrophysical and astrological studies.” She laughed. “I remember back when I was in the Academy, there was this one student, a unicorn from Saddle Arabia named Orrery—”

“That’s an unusual name,” Rarity noted.

“She was a sweetheart, from what I remember. I wish I’d made better friends with her; Trixie knows her, though. Anyway, she wanted to build something she called a tellurion, which was based on – get this – a heliocentric model. She believed she could prove that it was possible for the Earth to circle around the sun independently, as opposed to Celestia’s intervention in moving the sun around our world. Unfortunately, while her tellurion was top-notch, she failed the class because the instructors wanted something a little more grounded in reality. But to get back to what I was saying, my loxocosm’s design is roughly based on the same situ—”

“That’s…interesting, dear,” Rarity said, as she fruitlessly tried to wrap her mind around Twilight’s latest inanity. She loved her dear friend and sister royal, but too many of the concepts in the head of the young mage were far above that of even the most learned of ponies, never mind those of the average.

“So what’s your plan for the day?” Twilight asked. “I hear you were planning to have brunch with Shiny and Cadance?”

Rarity nodded. “And then afterwards I plan to look at some homes in the area. If I’m going to take the position Celestia offered me, I’ll have to move to Canterlot. I won’t have time to commute, as it is quite a distance by train or even royal chariot.”

“You’re welcome to live here,” Twilight offered. “It’s just me and Spike, and….”

“Twilight, that’s terribly generous of you, but you have your own life, and I’m sure that when Spike is old enough he’ll likely move out as well. It’s sad enough that you’ve had to move back here from Ponyville due to your increasing duties, and if the others accept their ministry duties, they will as well.” She frowned. “Once, I would have done anything to live in Canterlot. Now…I’m no longer sure if that’s the case.”

She was about to say more, when Spike came up, looking like he’d had a rude awakening as well. “Rarity, Shiny’s here to see you.”

“Thank you, Spike. I will see you two later tonight and we can discuss things further. Ta-ta!”

“She won’t bite, Silver, I promise.” Cadance and Silver sat at a table at Entremetier’s, one of the most expensive restaurants in Canterlot and known for their Pearisian-style cuisine. It took quite some effort for celebrities and nobles to get a table here, but for royalty? There was always a table available, one which Cadance immediately made her acquaintance with as she’d brought Silver with her.

“But am I doing the right thing?” he asked her. “I mean, it’s been well over a week now since…you know…and I still have to wonder if this is the right thing for me.”

“You know that answer better than I. Derpy’s a friend of mine and Shining’s, but you were in a relationship with her.” Cadance magically lifted the teacup to her lips and took a sip of the delicate honey-lemon tea within. “I want what’s best for you both, and since she hasn’t responded back, I think it’s best that you move on.”

“I thought you were the Avatar of Love – don’t you believe in true love ever after?”

“I do,” she agreed, but said nothing further. Silver sighed, knowing what she was hinting at. Instead, she set her cup down and said, “My aunts are the very embodiment of day and night, but even they do not know everything there is to know about their elements. I know a lot about love, but that doesn’t mean I know everything. You might find that you and Rarity are very compatible. You might hate each other after meeting. You might have foals together, or you might just remain friends and nothing more. I don’t know what that answer is and I don’t know what path you and she will take. And that’s none of my business.”

“Fine, fine,” he said, taking a drink from his coffee. “I get what you mean. It’s just that...I’m not sure that I’m in the best way right now. I just got promoted, I have to meet my new unit for the first time tomorrow and now all of a sudden I have a new fillyfriend?”

“Are you so sure on that last one?” Cadance inquired, looking at him.

“Look, Cadance, I misspoke there. Slip of the tongue, okay?” He set down his coffee and shook his head. “Great. Wonder how much worse things are going to ge—”

“YOU!”


When Shining had informed Rarity that they’d made reservations at Entremetier’s, the unicorn squealed with delight, as it was a restaurant she’d wanted to try for the longest time. When he informed her that Cadance would meet them there as she was bringing along the male part of her mystery date, Rarity felt butterflies – was she ready for this? Was she doing nothing more than deluding herself?

“Would it be improper to admit I’m nervous?” she asked him.

“You’ll be fine. I wouldn’t put you in a position that I wouldn’t put Twily in.”

She smiled weakly at that. “I know,” she admitted as the pair stepped out of the chariot and onto the sidewalk, with the ponies around looking at their prince as he was accompanied by one of the Knights Elemental. “It’s just…a blind date…. Never had one of those before. And while I trust you completely, Shining, part of me still feels – YOU!

Cadance and Shining looked at each other in confusion, then at Rarity and Silver, both saying, “You two know each other?”

The look on Silver’s face was confused; this was not how he expected things to go down. Granted, he didn’t have an idea of how he was going to introduce himself to a duchess and the Knight Elemental of Generosity, but even still, this wasn’t on the list of ways he was going to do it. “No, I don’t know her. Trust me, I would’ve remembered somepony like her.”

Rarity huffed indignantly. “I should say so! Though thankfully, I can say that I wouldn’t dare to be caught with such a lout as you!”

“Lout?”

“You were the one throwing up in front of that bar about a week ago and harassing that poor pegasus mare!”

“What are you…?” he started to say, but then suddenly realized that had been that day when he’d gotten the Dear John letter from Derpy and decided to drown his sorrows, only to have Goldie try to bail him out. He’d seen her that day…but up until now he hadn’t considered how it would look from the other side. “Oh, buck me,” he muttered under his breath. “Look, Miss, I can explain that.”

“I’ll bet.”

Cadance at this point had enough presence of mind to ask, “Somepony want to clue Shining and me in on this?”

“Yes! This drunken lummox there was busy…relieving himself – a lady shouldn’t be mentioned to say such things! – and pestering Miss Golden Sun! I’m quite surprised she didn’t mention anything of the sort, but he is, in my opinion, not the sort of pony that should be officer material!”

“Lady, you’re not getting an argument out of me on that one,” Silver groaned, “but look, there’s a reasonable explanation, if you’ll just let me explain!”

“How could I countenance you publicly humiliating such a decent-hearted mare as Golden Sun?”

Cadance and Shining looked at each other, then commented in unison, “Silver and Goldie are siblings.”

“And another thing!” Rarity said, barely having heard her friends. “If you even th…what?”

Silver stood up from the table. “Look, there’s more to the story, Miss, but it’s clear that you’re not interested in hearing.” Looking at both Shining and Cadance, he said, “I appreciate what you’ve done, you two, more than I can ever say, but it looks like it’s not going to work out.” Turning to Rarity, he said, “That night, I had something very personal and very bad happen to me and my sister went to bail me out – she’s always looked out for me, even when I think I don’t need it.”

Rarity suddenly had the feeling she’d made a slight misjudgement. “I…see.”

“For what it’s worth,” he told her in a halting, shocked voice, “from the moment I laid eyes on you, even half-drunk, you were the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen, like an angel in a Trotlouse-La Trek painting. I just…I just thought I’d wanted you to know that.” He sighed, then looked at Shining. “Yeah, perfect flower for the perfect bee, my flank. I’ll catch you and Cadance later, Shines. Thanks again.” Turning away, he left the table.

Perfect flower for the perfect bee? She knew that phrase – it was a shibboleth commonly used by folks from her old hometown; furthermore, she knew what it meant. “Wait!” Rarity said, suddenly. “Please, wait!” She moved in front of him to block his departure path. “You’re from Maneapolis?”

“No, ma’am. Born in Los Pegasas, but I’ve lived most of my life here in Canterlot.”

“That’s such an odd turn of phrase that you used – it’s a figure of speech from where I’m from…where I’m originally from, that is. I may have lived in Ponyville for most of my life, but I’m originally from Maneapolis.” She peered at him intensely, enough so that he wanted to flinch from her gaze. Finally giving him a smile, she said, “And now I can see Miss Sandalwood’s countenance in you. I apologize for the misunderstanding and earlier outburst.”

“No, it was entirely my fault,” he admitted. “Had I not been such a burro that night, I wouldn’t have given Goldie that much trouble. Either way, it’s a learning experience.” Gesturing to the unused seat at the table, he asked, “So, shall we try again, Miss…?”

“Rarity.”

“And I’m Silversteel.”

Cadance and Shining looked at each other as the other two relaxed. Though the spouses never verbalized a thing, the look in both their eyes said it all: I’m glad this didn’t explode in our faces.


“Now that is the look of a very happy mare,” Fleur dis Lee said to Rarity later that afternoon, as both mares, accompanied by the former’s husband, Fancy Pants, were looking at homes in the wealthy Western district of Canterlot, where most of the nobility and well-heeled ponies resided. “Something very good must have happened to you today, Rarity.”

“Well, I sent a note to Princess Celestia today informing her that I’d accept the position, so she said to choose a home and she’d purchase it for me as a congratulatory gift.” Looking at a catalog of available homes, she said, “I’d like to see the one at 341 Primrose Court.”

“I’ll notify the real estate agent,” Fancy commented. “He owes me a favor or two and I may be able to talk the price down.” Willing into existence a quill and scroll so he could send a message, he left the two mares to their own devices.

“Okay, now tell me the truth, Rarity,” Fleur said in a hushed tone. “Fancy might believe that, but I know you better. So what’s really got you in such a good mood?”

“Well,” she said, blushing, “I met somepony today.”

“That’s wonderful! Who is he?”

“His name is Silversteel. He’s an officer in the Guards, and…well, there’s something about him that just caught my attention. He says that I enraptured him from the very first moment he saw me – and admittedly, it wasn’t the best of situations in which we first saw one another….”

“I think I’d like some information on that.”

“No you don’t,” she said, evasively. “But he’s a gentlestallion and a charming one, too. However, there’s something sad about him, as if he’s hurting somehow and hasn’t told a soul as to what it is.”

Fleur thought on it for a second. “Perhaps he’s recently broken up with a paramour. Stallionfolk are quite like that sometimes. When I met Fancy Pants, he’d been – well, there is no other way to say it – dumped by his fillyfriend of the time. It was that vulnerable, coltish quality that endeared me to him.”

“Well, Silver was quite the gentlestallion yesterday. I can’t imagine why any mare in her right mind would do such a thing?”

“Well, then it will be up to you to be the balm to his heart, am I correct?”

“You’re reading too much into it, Fleur – we only met today and while he’s a wonderful stallion, I’m too busy in my life right now to commit to a relationship of any kind. Plus, if you’re correct about him, I wouldn’t want to be the mare he rebounds off of, nor would I want him to harbor any undue expectations in our relationship.”

“‘In our relationship’, I noted you just said,” the supermodel teased.

“Just a figure of speech. As it is, in truth, I’ll be busy starting up the Ministry as well as my ducal duties, my duties as a Knight, and my business, though,” she sighed, “I don’t know how I’ll be able to keep that going.”

“Why so?”

“Because ethics would require me to divest myself of those concerns. It was that very reason why Celestia chose us for those positions – she got tired of the simony and corruption amongst the chancellery. It would be unbecoming of me to defy my regent and sister royal when she’s been trying to weed out the problems in government as of late.” Rarity sighed. “It’s a shame, too; I was finally starting to attract a decent stable of clientele for my fashions.”

“Double-blind,” Fancy said, looking up briefly from his note. “Use a double-blind corporation – it’s a legal document that will let you retain ownership of your business affairs, but you will have to appoint a neutral party to run them for you and to do so with minimal input from you. It can be somewhat of a risk, but I understand that her majesty required Prince Blueblood to do so when she placed him in charge of the treasury, so there is a precedent.” When both mares looked at him, he grinned. “Fleur, my love, I do pay more attention than you think. And I’m very happy for you, my dear Rarity, whatever your choice with this gentlestallion may be. You said his name is Silversteel, correct?” When she nodded, he said, “If I recall correctly, he must be Baron Salerno’s son. They’re a fine family, one of the few cases of earth pony aristocracy that dates back to the unification.”

“I’m not concerned about that; I wasn’t a duchess until mid-last year,” she reminded her friends. “But I know his mother, Sandalwood, and his sister, Golden Sun.”

“You may wish to discuss it with the Baroness,” Fancy advised. “As I understand it, while Silver Hammer worked for Prince Campion, they had to place her perfumery business in a double-blind, so she may be able to recommend a reliable attorney specializing in that.” Looking down the street, he noted a unicorn approaching. “Well, here comes the real estate agent, so you may wish to have your questions ready.”

“Don’t worry, I do – as well as new questions to ask somepony else, thanks to you both.”


“You sure about this, Goldie?” Tiger Lily met her friend and superior officer at a bar in Cloudsdale. It was a nice enough place and under other circumstances, it’d be a great place to meet other stallions, but her mind was far from that right now.

“Yeah. Look, I’m telling you this because I know you’ve had your eye on my little brother for years – we’ve been best friends for how long?” Goldie asked, knocking back a pint of cider. “And don’t deny it – I know you too well, Tiger.”

“Yeah, okay, you got me, mare,” she admitted. “But I thought he was dating some mare down in Ponyville?”

“And when have you cared about that?”

“Look – I have some rules to live by, okay? One, if a pony’s truly in love, I’m not going to mess that up for him. Two, if he’s available and interested, I’m gonna pounce. And three, if anypony thinks they’re getting in the way of me and my goal, well,” she said, lifting her forehooves, “I’d like to introduce them to the hooves of righteous justice. So lay it out for me.”

So Goldie did, explaining everything, and as she did, she watched the face of the other pegasus. Tiger’s face was one of shock at hearing about the sudden end of the relationship, then a sad sorrow when she realized how much he’d loved those little fillies, then finally anger when Goldie told her about the note. “So, let me get this straight: that tail-lifting harridelle didn’t want him in her life, but wanted him to be Daddy? What a Celestiadamn plothole.”

“Well, to be fair, he does love Dinky and Sparkler very much and I know they think of him as their father. Maybe Derpy can work out some kind of visitation rights or something like that – but I damn well know that I don’t want anypony like that screwing with Silver’s head.”

“So you want me to screw with his head instead, huh? Or is that just screw?” A wicked smile came from Tiger’s lips.

“Hey, I’ll be honest: if I were a filly-fooler, I’d do you – you’ve got the kind of body that drives a stallion wild. And last time I checked, my brother is a hotblooded stallion, so….”

“Fine, I’m in. But I want a deal out of you: if there’s any mare that’s going to get him, it’s me. I don’t want you to change your mind at the last moment because suddenly you think he needs to go back to this Derpy chick or some other girl. Only gal who’s gonna be lifting her tail for him is me, got that?”

“Well, you’re honest about it – probably why we’re best friends.”

“You mean future sisters-in-law,” Tiger said, sealing the deal.


“You’re giddy tonight,” Twilight noted at the dinner table. Both she and Rarity had joined the princesses and Spike for dinner, a rare chance when all five were freely available to enjoy each other’s company.

“Why thank you,” Rarity said with a smile. “I think I found a nice little home I can use. A few acres, was owned originally by the artist Ikkos, and his estate has been trying to sell it for a few years now.”

“I remember him well,” Celestia said, a fond smile forming on her face. “He often had a number of soirees at his home that were the social highlight of the year. I remember particularly the one I attended in back in 1432 where he wished to ‘paint ze goddess ov all!’” she said, affecting an accent. “At the time, I think he was trying to hit on me, but I did pose for his painting Sunlight Everlasting.”

“It’s a beautiful painting, Tia,” Luna commented. “I saw it at the Royal Museum exhibit last month.”

“I think you would’ve liked him, Luna. He might have been hitting on me, but he had a thing for dark-coated mares – his wife Night’s Edge had the same color coat as you, so I think he would’ve been smitten.” The younger princess blushed slightly and Celestia laughed softly. “But seriously, Rarity, it’s a beautiful home as I recall it and I can’t think of a better pony to inhabit it now.”

“Thank you, Celestia. I promise you’ll be the first invited to the housewarming party.”

The princess nodded and then, taking a bite from her salad, then asked, “So, who’s the lucky stallion I’ve heard about?”

“What stallion?” Rarity replied, the look on her face the very image of innocence – which, of course, meant that she was anything but.

Twilight grinned madly. “See? I knew you were up to something, Rarity!”

“Don’t play coy with me, Rarity,” Celestia said softly.

“I had to learn from somepony,” Rarity answered in jest. When the alicorn flashed her a knowing grin, Rarity continued. “I met him this morning. He’s charming, debonair, and sensitive. He’s known Shining for years apparently and…well, he said I was beautiful.”

“Sounds like somepony’s a lucky mare.”

“Well, I’m hoping to get to know Silversteel a little better.”

“Silversteel? As in my brother’s friend?”

Rarity nodded. “Yes, as a matter of fact, it was Cadance and Shining who introduced us. You know him?”

“I’m surprised you don’t. I thought he was still married to Derpy Hooves – I know they have two kids together.”

“Married? Foals?” The look on Rarity’s face was shocked. “I…I didn’t know.”

Twilight suddenly realized she’d possibly opened up a can of worms the size of an ursa major. “Well, I could be wrong about that, but I’m pretty sure I’m not. I talk to Derpy enough about things and I’ve tutored her daughters. I could have sworn I’ve seen Silver over there once or twice, but honestly, it didn’t really register until now since Derpy’s an old friend of Shiny’s as well. Maybe they’re mutual friends?”

“I think I’d better find out,” Rarity said, the twinge in her heart suddenly reappearing. After finally finding somepony interested in her, a pony she thought she could take a chance on, to find out he was married and with foals…it was heartwrenching. “I think I’ve lost my appetite….” she said suddenly, the slice of tiramisu in front of her going untouched.


The knocking on his apartment door increased. “Hold on, I’m coming,” he called out, wondering who would be pestering him at time of evening. Now that the holiday was over, his parents had caught the train back to their home in Los Pegasas, and Diamondplate and his family were staying over at Shines’ and Cadance’s manor before they would depart back to Trotronto and his assignment there. Goldie had left a few days ago to rejoin her squadron in Cloudsdale, and everypony else he knew was either at home or probably out drinking. In fact, he’d have been there himself save for two things: first, he was supposed to report in to his new unit tomorrow; and two, after the misunderstanding with Rarity, he opted that the bar scene was going to be out of his life for a bit – it wasn’t anything new, since he’d hardly done that while he was with Derpy, either.

And that thought opened a new wound in his heart. He didn’t know what he was going to do about that. He still loved her, it was impossible to deny. And while he knew he wasn’t legally Dinky and Sparkler’s father, he felt he needed to be the one in their lives when it came to that – he wouldn’t accept anything less, and knowing Derpy, she’d insist on it as well. But at the same time, he couldn’t get Rarity out of his mind; there was just something about her, something he couldn’t quite define, that refused to shake free from his thoughts.

Maybe things’ll calm down in another week or so and I can head to Ponyville to talk to Derpy, he thought as he went to the door. No matter what, I do want to be in their lives still. But that was a problem for another time. Right now, he had to deal with the immediate issue, namely whoever was at the door.

Opening it, he found Tiger Lily, of all ponies. She stood out there in the winter cold, wearing a weather saddle and some boots. “Can I come in?” she asked softly.

“Sure, anything for an old friend,” he said, opening the door to let her in. “Need a hoof with the saddle?” She shook her head, undoing the outergarment easily with her wings. “So, what brings you here?”

She gave him a fond smile. “Snowstorm just blew in over Canterlot,” she explained, “and it looks like the Weather Service let it get out of control. They’ve ordered a grounding for all air travel for the next twenty-four hours until the Mage Guild can assist the Service in getting it back in gear. Since I don’t have anywhere to go, I was hoping I could stay the night with you, if that’s okay.”

“Sure. You can use my bedroom, and I can take the couch,” he replied.

“Well, isn’t your bed large enough for two adults?” she teased.

He laughed, but there was no humor in the sound. “Yeah, but it’s going to be empty in that way for a while.”

“Yeah, I heard – sorry about that; I thought you two were going to be happy together.” She shivered slightly. “Got anything hot to drink?”

“Yeah, just made some wassail – it’s a spiced apple cider that they make up in the Crystal Empire during wintertime,” he said. “Want some?”

“Don’t mind if I do,” she said as she walked over to his couch and sat down. “So what happened between you two, if I could ask?”

“I don’t know,” Silver said in a soft voice as he bought over a tray with two mugs. She took one gladly, the look on her face sad as he spoke. “I love her more than anything, but she’s pushed me away for reasons I don’t know. And I’m really conflicted on everything right now, Tiger. I met this….”

“Met who?” she asked.

He shook his head. “Not important right now. Maybe it’ll be later, I don’t know.” He sighed. “Maybe it’ll be the most important thing in the world later, or maybe I’ll forget about it next Tuesday. I really don’t know.”

She looked at him fondly and with a bit of sorrow. “I wish I could take away all your pain,” she said sincerely, and meant it.

“Yeah, but we’re not little foals playing Europony and the Pirate Twins anymore,” he commented. “Besides, I’m sure you know what it’s like to nurse a broken heart. Nothing ever good really comes of it.”

“Yeah,” she admitted. She looked at him and the first feeling coming over her was one of emotion, of the need to kiss him, take him in her hooves and never let go. For all her bluster and bravado, she’d loved him since they were foals but had never been able to admit to anyone save for her best friend, his older sister. And she’d thought it was just a crush, but the dozens of relationships she’d had always brought her mind around to him somehow. “Silver, do you remember when we were little foals and the one time I pretended I was Princess Celestia and you said you’d always be my Royal Guard?”

He gave her a fond smile at that. “Yeah, I remember: just a couple of dumb foals in Los Pegasas.”

Easy, Tiger, she told herself. Don’t force yourself on him – you know he’s not that kind of guy. “That always meant a lot to me, you know that? Even nowadays.”

He took another draught of his wassail mug. “Well, you’re like a sister to me, Tiger, and I’ve always meant that.”

“Like a sister to me.” She sighed inwardly. Can’t I interest you in some incest, if that’s the case? She finished the drink, thinking silently of what to do next. Her original plan was to get him raw and randy and earn him that way. But when she got here, she knew she couldn’t do that, for both his reasons and hers. And now coupled with being in the friend zone – worse than that, even – she was going to have to definitely work her way into his heart in any way possible.

But not right now, she knew. Silver, honey, you’re going to be my husband someday and I’ll be the only real wife you ever deserve. But right now, you just need a friend. “So, what are you going to do right now?”

“Well, tomorrow, I report in as the new commander of my unit, and I’ll just lose myself in some paperwork for a while. Maybe in a month or so, things will have calmed down that I can talk to Derpy and figure out what happened, or maybe just finally make a clean break and move on. I don’t really know right now. You got any suggestions?”

“Tough to say: You see, there’s this stallion I’ve liked for a while, but I’m not sure of what to tell him,” she told him. “But at the same time, he’s going through a lot now, so I don’t want to push my luck if there’s any chance of being with him.”

“You know, that sounds familiar for some reason,” Silver commented. “Unless….” Realization suddenly sank in. “You like Flash Sentry – why didn’t I realize that?” The pegasus stallion had been one of those injured during the jaculus attacks and he was a part of Tiger’s squadron. “Hey, I hope he gets better – I’m hoping you and he’ll be happy. Though, I’ll admit I don’t see what that has to do with my problem.”

Tiger tried to keep a false smile on her face as she said, “Thanks, Silver.” In truth, she hated that plothole Sure Sentry and almost celebrated when he was nearly killed by jaculi, but unfortunately for her, the situation was similar. “As to, uh, how it impacts you? Well…I’m just saying to keep your options open and think of your future. Maybe Derpy will come back into your life—” I sure as buck hope not! “—but maybe you’ll find a new mare that will make you happy and give you lots and lots of foals.”

“I doubt there’s any mare right now who would want to do that,” he said while his counterpart was mentally shuffling through the pages she memorized from the Karmare Sutra.

“Don’t sell yourself short, Silver. That mare might be just around the cor—”

KNOCK KNOCK

“Wow, busy night,” Silver mentioned. “You’d think that there wasn’t some sort of freak snowstorm coming.” She merely shrugged and wished instant and painful death upon the pony knocking at the door.

He opened the door to find a courier from the palace standing there. “Cornet Silversteel, I presume.”

“Yes, that’s me,” he answered. “Is there something I can do for you?”

The unicorn levitated a note, floating it in the air before Silver as he read, “Her grace the Duchess Lipizzan requests your presence tomorrow for breakfast, and I have been dispatched for your RSVP. Apologies on arriving at such an indecent hour, especially with the snowstorm coming in, but her grace was insistent. And frankly, I’m not about to argue with a mare the princesses call their sister.”

“I see. Unfortunately, I have to report in to my unit tomorrow, so breakfast would be out of the question. However, if her grace wishes so, perhaps we could do dinner tomorrow evening?”

“In that case, sir, I will forward your response, and based on her own you will either receive another messenger or a flamefax.” He nodded formally and said, “Have a pleasant evening, sir.”

As he closed the door, Tiger asked, “Who was that?”

“Courier from the palace – apparently they want something important.” He wasn’t sure why he didn’t tell her the full story, only that somehow it seemed wrong to do so. Maybe it was because she was worried about him and didn’t want him to get into another bad mess – Tiger was a great friend like that, but worried a little too much.

“Well, looks like somepony’s becoming important,” she said with a smile. Yup, I’m really going to enjoy being his wife. “Well, I’m going to have to leave early if I’m going to make it back to my squadron in time,” she said, yawning and stretching just enough to make sure she left nothing to his imagination – better start marking my territory. “So I’m going to turn in now.” Trotting playfully up to him, she kissed him on the cheek. “Thanks again, Silver.”

He nodded absently, his mind already figuring out what to do about dinner plans tomorrow. I wonder where I can take a cultured lady like Rarity?


“And so, milady,” a courier informed her, “Cornet Silversteel would request the honor of having dinner with you at…wait, that can’t be right….”

“What can’t be right, Sir Symbolism?” she asked him.

Symbolism looked at the notes that he’d taken. “Well, it’s his funeral,” he muttered under his breath before saying, “Uh, he wants to take you out to dinner at Beet O’ Brady’s.”

A muscle in her face twitched; she was well-familiar with the chain restaurant from the various times the others wanted to head there for lunch or dinner. Rarity found the Ponyville branch to be subpar – how does somepony screw up salad? – and knew that, being a chain restaurant, the other ones couldn’t be that much different. The thought of even being near one of those assaulted her very sense of decency.

And yet, he doesn’t really make much. My monthly ducal allowance, never mind my salaries as a Knight or as minister, is probably more than he makes in a year. Plus, he’d been the one to ask her out, after he had to refuse breakfast due to his duties…and her invite had been to have breakfast with her in the northern gardens of the palace grounds, as per Celestia’s suggestion. If all he can afford is Beet O’ Brady’s….

“Yes, Symbolism, please inform the cornet that I will accept his offer,” she said with a sunny smile.

“Um, begging your pardon, your grace, but I could make a reservation for a more suitable restaurant, if your grace wishes. Perhaps La Marche, or even Stallionfire’s Fine Cuisine?”

“No, that won’t be necessary. Please inform the cornet that I shall meet him there at eight in the evening, just as he planned,” she informed the courier. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a lot of paperwork to fill out before my date tonight.” As the courier excused himself, Rarity sat down to start reading a book on double-blind corporations that Twilight had recommended to her; it wasn’t legal advice of any kind, but it would at least be something that she could use to get up to speed on her future plans for her soon-to-be semi-former profession.


“Hello, Derpy! How’ve you been?”

Twilight was back in Ponyville for the first time since she and Spike had moved back to Canterlot. It suddenly dawned on her how much she missed this place and how much it would always be home to her. I might be a Canterlot gal, born and bred, but there’s always going to be a part of me that wished I still lived in the library. She made a mental note to discuss issues with her successor, as Folio Bound probably had a ton of books he wanted ordered for the library and Twilight could easily arrange that.

However, there were other things that had to come along. “Twilight!” the gray pegasus said with a smile. “It’s good to see you! C’mon in! How’s life back in Canterlot treating you?”

The lavender unicorn walked into the mailmare’s house, taking in the comfort of a normally-lived home. “Truthfully, I wish I was back here sometimes. I miss when life was just normal, you know?”

“Yeah, that I do. And I guess that’s why you’re here to talk to me, right? Not to just chit-chat about science?”

Twilight shook her head. “Shiny’s right: you are far too perceptive.”

The pegasus shrugged with a smile. “Look at the ponies I surround myself with. It pays to be smart.”

Before Twilight could answer, she heard a young voice sing out “Miss Twilight!” A second later, a young filly rushed up to her and hugged the mage; if there was one thing Dinky Hooves was good at, it was giving hugs. “Are you here to bring Daddy back? I miss him and want to see him!”

“Dinky, let Mom and Miss Twilight talk.” An older filly’s voice; Twilight looked over and saw a somber but otherwise hale Sparkler standing there. “Miss Twilight, if you don’t mind, I have a letter that I’d like to send to Dad, please.”

“I’ll be sure to carry it back,” Twilight promised. As the older filly escorted the younger out, Twilight looked at her brother’s best friend and said, “So it is, true then – about you, Silver and your foals, that is.”

“It is, and it isn’t. Silver and I aren’t married, though we’ve been together for years, and that has an effect on the fillies. Technically, I’m the only one that adopted them – they have no other legal parent. But it’s not about legalities, as far as I’m concerned, when it comes to my little muffins. Regardless of what happens between Silver and I, they are his daughters and I would never separate them from him, I promise you that.”

“Shiny and I had a talk with Cadance over what you two discussed. And I want you to know that I’ve always admired your intelligence, Derpy, even when others haven’t. But I also want you to know that I think you need to make a decision as to what is best for him and you.”

“And you think I wouldn’t?”

“Truthfully? No – none of us do, not even Shiny,” the unicorn admitted. “You’re the kind of mare who cares about her foals first and foremost – and there’s nothing wrong with that – but is willing to do so at the expense of her own happiness. You can’t just tell me you’ve just stopped loving him. That makes no sense.”

“No, I can’t just say that – and I will spend the rest of my life loving him from afar. But I’m afraid, Twilight – I’m so damn afraid of becoming a widow that I’m willing to let go, even if it wounds me. And I want him to be happy, but I’m not the right mare for that job, as much as I so desperately want to be. Does that make any sense?”

“Not a bit, but then again, I’ve never really been in a relationship, so I have no basis for comparison,” Twilight sighed. “But you should know that I honestly think that if you love him, you should go back to him, both for yours and your foals’ sakes.”

“Twilight, as much as I appreciate the thought, my private life is just that – my private life – and while you are a friend, I would appreciate you staying out of my affairs.”

“Derpy….”

“I mean it.”

Twilight nodded. “Fine. For what it’s worth, I think you’re making a mistake, but mistakes are what make science and magic go.” She looked at the clock and said, “Well, it’s almost time to catch the last train back to Canterlot so I don’t need to summon a chariot. Let me get the notes from the girls and I’ll get out of your mane.”

The look on the gray mare’s face was sad. “Twilight, just because my life is going in a different way does not mean I want you out of it. You are a friend, and if you’d like…well, at least stay for dinner and overnight. All things aside, I’m sure the girls would appreciate a little tutelage in magic, and you’re the best there is that.”

Twilight smiled softly. “Sure, that I can do.”


“Welcome to Beet O’ Brady’s!” the jovial gryphoness waitress chirped. “My name is Gigi. What can I get for you two?” she asked, inquiring with Rarity first.

“I’ll have a glass of Blue Mountain Vineyards’ red,” she said, quickly scanning the menu. Thankfully the drink selection here at this one was much better than the one in Ponyville.

“I’ll have the Sweet Apple Acres Premium,” Silver replied.

“Let me get that for you fine folks and I’ll be back in a bit to take your order,” she said sweetly, then disappeared.

“Thanks for coming,” he told Rarity. In the course of his mind, he was trying to focus entirely on her and not her form. Now that things had settled down, he’d gotten a much nicer look at her and she was even lovelier in person than she’d been from afar. At a distance, she was a beautiful but remote angel, but in person, well, she’d probably give Princess Celestia a run for the money.

“No, thank you for accommodating me, Silver, dear,” she replied, returning his glance. She had to admit, he was quite the looker, and he’d dressed well for this dinner, slipping on a sweater and jacket. Were it not for his build, she would have thought him a cultured professor from the nearby college. “I just apologize for not consulting you earlier on breakfast.”

“I wish I could’ve attended, but it was my first day on the job. I can already see that the mission is going to be complex.”

“Oh, and what job is that?”

“Officially, it’s just a desk job – the 18th Headquarters Cohort. But in truth, it’s one of the Guard’s top anti-changeling units. Shines is concerned that as long as there are changelings out there, there’s going to be problems, so it’s up to the anti-changeling units to deal with them.”

“I see. Well, I suppose Shining Armor would be concerned about that, considering that he almost married an imposter – I can’t imagine how disastrous things would have been had Chrysalis not been defeated.” Rarity took a look at him. “I fear that as much as my fellow Knights and I tried to head off the situation, it was one that the changeling queen had planned for and had us thoroughly outmaneuvered. The only thing that she hadn’t planned on was the love magic that Shining and Cadance were able to come up with at the last moment.”

“You were in town for that?” Silver asked. When she nodded, he said, “I was one of the units rushing in from Appaloosa once we heard what happened. We ran into a small surviving force in the badlands and engaged, but they stalled us. At the time, I feared the worst, but by the time our airship arrived in Canterlot, things were already over. I’m glad we did; I was able to attend Shines’ and Cadance’s wedding, which I wouldn’t have otherwise.” A thought crossed his mind. “You were one of the bridesmares, weren’t you?”

“Happily so,” Rarity answered.

Silver nodded. “I thought I recognized you, but things just didn’t sink in until now.”

At that point, Gigi came back and took their orders; Rarity ordered an eggplant alfredo while Silver opted for the portabella burger with everything on it and a side of hayfries. As the waitress disappeared again, Rarity took another drink from her wine and then fixed Silver with an even glance. “Silver, I would be lying if I didn’t say I wasn’t touched by both your offer for dinner and your earlier attention. But I would like to know something, if you’d be so kind.”

“Certainly.” Alarm bells started going off in his head, but he decided to ignore them and just press forward.

“Are you married? With foals?”

“No. I recently broke up with my fillyfriend – she lives in Ponyville, where you’re from – for reasons that I’m not entirely sure why. As to foals, while she’s legally the mother, I’ve had enough influence in their lives that they consider me their father, and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t feel the same way.”

“I see.” She looked at him evenly. “I want you to know something: I find you attractive, Silver, and I know that you feel the same way. But I refuse to be just a mare on the side. I may be of common birth, but I am a duchess now and sister to her majesty. That is not meant as a threat, but rather an indicator that there are certain proprieties that I must take. And even if that was the case, I am not an easy mare, not some jenny that would swoon for any stallion that came her way.”

“I never thought that to be the case,” he said.

“Then I need to know: what are your intentions? And I don’t mean those towards those foals – I’m referring to their mother.”


Silver was about to answer that before the song in the background music started to change. It was a song by Troubadour or some other musician back when his parents were young. The song was about a stallion forced to make the choice between his past and his future, and while the narrator in the song never explained which way he went, the song clearly echoed the thoughts in Silver’s mind.

He was quiet, in the way that showed he was seriously contemplating the answer, and it made Rarity pause. Something about him wanted her to draw nearer, but that the same time she’d be dating somepony far different from what she’d ever expected. He was already a father, even if in somewhat of an unofficial way. And as the song in the background ended, a different one played, one that she knew her mother had loved, a song about two lovers at the beginning of the relationship, wondering where it would go. Rarity had always thought the song to be lovely, but she never understood its focus. But now, sitting here at the beginning of what could possibly be something for her, she finally understood the lyrics.

At that point, Silver cleared his throat and spoke. “My intentions?” he asked, looking at her. Though he could see the inquisitive look on her face, the one in her eyes was fragile: he’d seen the same visage years ago on the face of another mare, and just as then, he never wanted to see anypony so sad and lonesome. She nodded slightly and he said, “I’m adrift, Rarity. I won’t lie to you, I’m confused about everything lately and I’m not sure what I want. But I know this: the moment I saw you that night…you caught me in a way I’ve never felt with anypony I’ve ever been before. That’s not hyperbole, or a lie or flattery or anything of the sort. You can ask Goldie: I was swept up in something magical that night and not just because I was drunk – the moment I saw you at the ball, I…I just had to meet you.”

“I refuse to be The Other Mare,” she told him. “If we decide to go further in this, there are ponies who love me, ponies who are a part of my family, both naturally and extended, that would not be happy if I were to ever be hurt.”

“Trust me, I wouldn’t want to have Shines or Cadance angry with me.”

“Actually, I was referring to my father – he’s a former professional hoofball player. Admittedly, while he’s retired and now just a sports reporter for the Cloudsdale Amberoids, he still keeps in shape.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Silver said with an uneasy smile. He could just imagine the kind of hulking brute that would be displeased if his darling daughter was hurt.

“But I need to know: Silver – what are your intentions?”

“Well,” he said as the waitress arrived with their meals, “my first intention is to have a nice dinner with a beautiful mare who clearly is far classier than I’ll ever be.”

“Aren’t you the one who’s of noble birth?”

“Yes, but my brother Diamondplate’s the oldest; he’ll be the one to inherit the barony. And neither Goldie nor I really care about that,” he said, lifting the burger towards his muzzle. “But what I mean is that you’re noble in the general sense – you’re classy, beautiful and cultured, a mare who has everything in her world right before her hooves.”

“Not so much before her hooves. I come from common pony stock, though I love my parents. I apprenticed under Cardigan Sweater and she helped me become the fashion designer I am. I became friends with Twilight and am blessed to be one of her Knights Elemental, her sister royal and her friend. But I don’t have everything in my hooves, at least not all of the most important things.”

“What would that be?”

“Love,” she said idly, not really thinking about who she was speaking to. “I was the first of my friends who dated, but now I feel that life has passed me by. Perhaps I’m too, quote, ‘young’, unquote to think about a life alone, but it feels as though life has set that before me. But then came you. And….” She paused. “It’s nothing.”

She remembered her theoretical question to Shining from the other night: am I worthy of being loved? Could you love somepony like me? And as she looked at the pony in front of her, his secrets revealed to her and the truth laid bare, she wondered: could you love me?

“Rarity?” he began to speak, even while she lifted an absent bite to her lips, not really paying too much attention, lost in her thoughts.

“Watch out!” There was a sudden splash of liquids, the sound of plates shattering and the squishy sounds of meals falling to the floor. Rarity looked up and found herself drenched in the remains of a chocolate shake, while their waitress lay on the floor, having tripped, looking up at her and realizing that her customer wasn’t just any old unicorn.

Silver got up from his seat and grabbed his napkins, dabbing her off. “Are you okay?”

“Well,” she said with a weak smile, “I’m a fan of chocolate, but I usually prefer it taken internally, not via osmosis.”


Tiger Lily lay on the sheets of her bed in her home in Cloudsdale, spent but alone. She’d “entertained herself” while thinking of Silver, but it wasn’t the same thing. She tried to imagine him with her, moving rhythmically, calling out in pleasure and pain, joining with him until she cried out in pure ecstasy…but it was only a dream.

Just a Celestiadamn dream, she thought to herself. Part of her thought of looking up one of the stallions in her squadron and just exhausting herself that way – a lot of them were single and didn’t really give a damn who lifted their tails for them – but just as quickly, she dismissed it. Just as she swore she no mare would ever lift her tail for Silver save for her, likewise she would never do that to any other stallion. She was meant to be Silver’s, body and soul.

And she took precautions to do so. First off, as soon as she got the chance, she’d fly to Ponyville and pound the shit out of that harridelle, Derpy. She wouldn’t kill her – Tiger wasn’t heartless, as she knew the hyrax had foals – but putting her in traction would ensure she was finally out of Silver’s life and would teach her a lesson about screwing with the wrong pony.

After that, she would have to watch to ensure that her beau wasn’t looking in the wrong direction. That would give her enough time to start working on her own plans to get him in her hooves. She knew she could do it; all she needed was time.

The thought of being with Silver turned her on again, but she didn’t enjoy herself a second time. No, now she would save herself for the day he would bring her that level of love.


Two ponies walked in the direction of the palace – Rarity was staying there still until she purchased enough furnishings for her new home. “Thank you for the wonderful evening, Silver,” she said as they reached the front gates. “I had a lovely time.”

“Well, at least you managed to convince our waitress that you weren’t going to have her beheaded.”

Rarity shrugged elegantly. “It was an accident. The poor gryphoness tripped over somepony’s tail. Things like that happen, and I can’t hold her at fault for that.”

“Too many nobles would, I’m afraid,” he commented sadly.

“As I said before, I’m from common stock – so I’m a different type of noble,” she reminded him. “I won’t abuse the common Equestriani just trying to live her or his life. That’s not why I’m a Knight Elemental, and not why Celestia has placed the trust in me that she has.”

“Just, fair, classy and beautiful,” he murmured to himself. “I really wonder if I have a chance with a girl like you.”

“What was that?”

“…nothing.” He looked at the clock that stood in the central round just outside the gates. The time said it was ten in the evening and he had to call it a night, since he had to get up early in the morning so he could take his troops out for a familiarity run on the obstacle course in Quartz Canyon. It was a former changeling staging base, and now served as a study center so Equestria and her allies could learn more about the monsters that hunted them all. “Look, I’ve got to get going, and I’m going to be out of town for a couple of days. I don’t suppose, though, when I get back, if you’d want to go to a concert or something?”

“Why, Silver? Is that a date? I said before, I won’t be—”

“I wouldn’t ask if that was even remotely the case, Rarity. I might not be much, but….” He didn’t finish the sentence; it would be considered uncouth.

She in turn leaned forward and kissed him on the side of the muzzle. Not on the cheek, but not quite on the mouth, either. She then looked at him with eyes filled with promise. “I’ll wait breathlessly for your return, Silver, dear.” And with that, she walked into the palace grounds, her tail swishing just so, slightly teasing and slightly filled with a hint for the future.

He smiled as he watched her vanish into the palace’s front entrance. He had no idea if what he was doing was right, but if it wasn’t…he was very sure he’d rather stay in the wrong.