• Published 16th Nov 2013
  • 2,581 Views, 44 Comments

My Little Background Pony: New Neighbors - comicfan616



The Doctor, now Time Turner, is getting along quite comforatbly in Equestria with his new friends. But when a string of disappearances occurs in Ponyville, it's up to everyone to solve the mystery of the who, where, what, and why.

  • ...
2
 44
 2,581

How is She?

My Little Background Pony
New Neighbors

Derpy Hooves hummed happily to herself as she glided towards the shop known as Clockworks, the workplace and home of Ponyville’s newest resident. It had been more than a couple weeks since the Summer Sun Celebration, when Time Turner first appeared. That had been an eventful day, for more reasons than just the obvious.

This wasn’t a social call, however. Derpy was doing her mailing rounds. Still, she always found it easier to deliver her charges in person when it came to businesses. Besides, Turner was a friend and both ponies always appreciated a chance to just talk.

Derpy landed in front of the door to the shop and knocked. “Come in!” she heard. She opened the door expecting to find Turner behind the main desk. But all she found were clocks and other various timepieces, some hanging on the walls, others sitting on shelves, and a few more valuable items in glass cases; no sign of the pony who ran the place, however.

“Turner?” Derpy called out.

“Downstairs!” Turner’s voice replied. Derpy had to remind herself that Turner had put up a small speaker in the lobby that allowed him to be heard from anywhere else in the shop. She had been through this so many times that she wasn’t sure why it still surprised her. She shrugged it off and went to the door leading to the basement.

Upon opening the door, Derpy heard a combination of whirring, banging, and burning. She walked down the steps and toward her destination: a large, blue box with the words “Police Public Call Box” printed along the top.

Most ponies were unaware of this, but Time Turner was not a normal pony by any stretch of the imagination. To all of Ponyville, and possibly even the rest of Equestria, he was Time Turner, specialist in timepieces and even a bit of a philosopher on the concept of time itself. Even his own friends called him by this name, aware that in reality, he was known as the Doctor, an alien pony from the faraway planet of Gallopfrey, traveler of space and time, and currently exiled to Equestria for his radical views on his species’ approach to observing the universe.

Turner was currently inside the box, called the TARDIS, making some kind of repairs to the central console; he was surrounded by a variety of tools, such as a hammer, a soldering iron, and his trademark sonic screwdriver, which had been plated gold after their previous adventure. From Derpy’s perspective, the inside of the TARDIS seemed to hold a larger world than its size could possibly allow.

Turner looked up from his work outside the box. “Ah! Derpy!” he said. “How are you?”

“Alright,” Derpy replied. “What are you doing down here?”

“Slow work day. Thought I’d get some extra time in working on the TARDIS.”

“I see,” Derpy mused. She quickly realized something, however. “Did you just let me in here without knowing who I was?” She remembered Turner saying that his identity must remain secret for fear of his exiled life becoming more complicated than it had to be. In fact, once he had secured his job and home, he, Derpy, and the rest of their friends had to spend nearly half the night and an incredible amount of unicorn energy to move the TARDIS into his new basement and away from prying eyes.

“Of course not. I’d never do something that foalish. Come here.” Turner waved her into the TARDIS. Derpy, curious at what he had to show her, stepped inside. Turner pointed to one of the TARDIS’ computer screens; nopony had ever seen anything like this, so that alone was enough to amaze her. But what was on the screen got her attention. It showed four distinct areas of the shop: the entrance, the lobby, the basement, and Turner’s living quarters.

“What are all these?” Derpy asked, although she immediately thought it was a stupid question.

“What you’re looking at are live images being captured from miniature cameras I’ve placed around the shop. In other words, everything you see here is happening right now. Or rather, not happening right now, given the lack of activity. That’s how I knew it was you.”

“But why? And how?”

“Security reasons, mostly. This way, if I’m down here working on the TARDIS and there’s someone I don’t know or somepony isn’t looking too friendly, I’ll at least know where they are and what they’re doing. As for the how, all I can say is that as a traveler of the universe, I get a lot of helpful devices.”

Derpy learned a while ago to not try to understand everything Turner had to say and to just pick up the important parts. “Okay. Speaking of which, how are the repairs going?” Just before he was exiled, the High Council of his species, the Time Lords, deactivated most of the TARDIS’ central functions. At the moment, all that worked were the computers; everything else, especially its ability to travel through time and space, still needed work done.

“The Time Lords really knew what they were doing,” Turner answered. “Even at the rate I’m going, it’ll be a solid month at least before I finally make some sort of headway. Between keeping an eye of the shop and spending time with you and the others, I’ll be surprised if I even make that deadline.”

“Hey!” Derpy said, slightly offended. “Are you saying you don’t like us?”

“No, of course not!” Turner defended. “I wouldn’t trade our time together for anything in the universe. It’s just that fixing the TARDIS will be very slow going. Has been slow going since I started.”

“So when you do fix it,” Derpy started slowly, “will you…?”

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” Turner said reassuringly. “I’ll admit, when I heard I was to be exiled, I thought I’d go stir-crazy. But you all have made my experience more than just tolerable; you’ve made it enjoyable.” Derpy smiled at this answer. “But I am still a traveler of space and time; I crave a change of scenery. Once she’s fixed, I may use her to pop in and out of various locations and time periods, just for the heck of it. But I’ll come right back. And I can assure you that none of you will be left out entirely.”

“Really? You mean…?”

“You’re my friends, aren’t you?” he asked rhetorically. “And you helped me quite literally in our darkest hour. I think those two factors mean you deserve some special treatment.” Turner suddenly felt his lungs compressed by Derpy’s hug.

“That’d be awesome!” she nearly shouted.

“Derpy!” Turner choked. “You mind?”

“Oh! Sorry.” Derpy released her hold and smiled sheepishly. “Oh! I almost forgot!” She opened her mailbag and pulled out some envelopes. “Here’s your mail.” Turner, who had just regained control of his lungs, accepted the letters. “And one more thing,” Derpy said. “Octavia wanted to know if you’d like to come to dinner tonight. Her treat.”

“I suppose it couldn’t hurt,” Turner said.

“Great! She wants us to meet at Grains ‘n Oats by six.”

“See you then.” With that, Derpy left the TARDIS and went to continue her mail route. Turner, meanwhile went back to his repairs.


My little pony, my little pony,
Ah-ah-ah-ah-My little pony!
I had forgotten what friendship could mean.
Until you all reminded me:
Time together, rockin’ beats,
Sweet experience, soothing melodies,
All for one. Such an easy feat!
Now thanks to you, my life’s complete!
Yeah, my little pony!
You are truly all my very best frieeeeeeeeeends!


The art of applebucking was a skill that took years, sometimes a decade, to master. Applejack easily fell into the category of “mastered.” With one buck, she could shake loose all the apples off a single tree and cause them to fall into the baskets carefully placed around it.

She had a few more trees to take care of before she would call it a day. She was about to buck the next tree when she heard one of the trees rustling. Her legs missed and, after muttering incoherent complaints, she looked around her area of the orchard. She heard the rustling again and quickly caught sight of the tree that was causing her trouble. She walked slowly toward it and looked up into the leaves. She saw a dark mass that looked like a pony.

“Rainbow Dash!” she called into the tree. “You sleepin’ up there again? Ah told you; Ah don’t want you nappin’ when Ah got work that needs t’be done.” She didn’t get a response. Instead, the figure in the tree just shifted position.

Applejack sighed but then smiled mischievously. “Okay, but don’t say Ah din’t give ya a fair warnin’.” She pivoted her body so that she was facing away from the tree. She raised her hind legs, ready to buck “Rainbow” out of the tree.

Suddenly, she felt something wide, heavy, and almost cord-like strike the side of her head. She never saw what, or who, hit her as she blacked out.