• Published 16th Nov 2013
  • 12,246 Views, 67 Comments

The Masked Accuser - Psyga315



When a pony dressed as Mare Do Well leads a rebellion against Celestia, Twilight's friends are taken prisoner and are interrogated over the events of the Invasion, as well as other recent events. Can Twilight find a way to save her friends?

  • ...
23
 67
 12,246

Generosity/honest lies

Mare Do Well placed the Element of Generosity on Rarity. It began to glow, albeit dimly. Mare Do Well nodded a few times, stopped to think, then walked over.

“I have nothing. You’re free, Generosity.” Mare Do Well made an opening on the shield and walked through it.

“W-what?! I’m free?” Rarity muttered as Mare Do Well began to open the doors.

“I’ve learned from Laughter that petty grudges made several weeks ago would not make a fitting punishment for a crime that’s nigh-treasonous. Besides, you did try to cut it down the middle, so you’re not a complete jerk.” Mare Do Well said.

“What are you talking about?” Rarity said.

“Besides, I figure the town’s state will be punishment enough considering your tour here. Say hi to Fancy Pants for me.” Mare Do Well said. “After all, you’ve spent so much time with him and the others… perhaps more time than with Twilight.” As soon as she said that, Rarity realized what she was talking about.

“Wait, is this about her bir-” However, she was out of the door when Mare Do Well shut the heavy doors, shutting her out from the room.

“And then there were two...” She turned around to see Applejack glare at her. “Honesty…” Mare Do Well sighed and took off her mask. Applejack saw her face. Her glare shattered and her eyes widened. She blinked for a bit before she glared at her harder, steam coming out of her nostrils now. “We have a lot to talk about.”


“Sweetie Belle, I’m sure everything will be fine.” Spike patted the back of Sweetie Belle’s head with his claws, making sure they don’t stab into her head.

“No… No it won’t!” She sobbed into Spike’s shoulders.

“I don’t understand. I saw you at the reception. You were happy.” Luna said. Sweetie Belle looked to Luna and shook her head.

“No. I wasn’t. I was scared. After Rarity and the others left, the Changelings attacked us and sealed us up. Me and the Cutie Mark Crusaders were lodged into one cocoon where we saw… we saw…” She shuddered.

“Saw what?” Spike asked.

“A Changeling absorbed the love out of a pony… until… until she shrivelled up like a raisin!” She fell to the floor and began to shake. “I… I didn’t want to show my sister I was scared… so I faked it! I faked my happiness!” She said.

“Sweetie Belle, it’s over now. You’re okay and-” Spike tried to comfort Sweetie Belle, but Luna stopped him.

“No. It’s never over. This trauma will come back to haunt her time and time again. Perhaps forever. Trust me, Spike. I know from experience.” She said. Spike sat there and pondered.

Something could have been done to prevent that.


As soon as the Element of Honesty slipped onto Applejack’s neck, it began to glow.

“Alright, start talkin’! And no lyin’!” She said.

“So long as you do the same. I feel like that’d make this conversation a little more simpler.” Mare Do Well said.

“Deal.” She said. Mare Do Well simply stared at the Element of Honesty before she lay on her belly, legs folded.

“Honest-” She froze, sighed, then spoke up. “Applejack… You’ve been… helpful to your family… to your friends… to everyone.” Mare Do Well said.

“Okay, what did I just say about lyin’?” She asked.

“Sure, there was that moment you left for the false Cadance, but you regret it now, yes?” Mare Do Well asked.

“Y-yeah.” She said.

“You were the only pony to apologize to Twilight openly. The only pony to openly admit their mistakes before my interference. Not only that, but almost everything you did was for the benefit of either your family or your friends. Save for that moment in Dodge.” Mare Do Well could see Applejack wince. “But even so, I can’t fault you because I admire you.” She said.


Pinkie Pie blew into a balloon as it grew into a long shaft. She then took the balloon and twisted it around until it became a balloon version of herself. She giggled and bounced, pushing it into the main garden area.

“See, Coal? You don’t have to worry anymore. We’ll have this huge party and that’ll make you feel better.” Fluttershy patted Coal with her wings. Coal didn’t move away like she thought, but rather stood still.

“I don’t want this. I want to go home. I want my mom…” He began to cry. Fluttershy held Coal with her hooves.

“I know… I know…” She said. Fluttershy looked and saw several ponies pass by. They wave to her and walked over.

“Hey, what’s happening?” One of the ponies asked.

“We’re throwing a super big ‘get better, Coal!” party!” Pinkie Pie said. The ponies immediately groan.

“Oh sure, leave the party animal to throw a party to try and cover up the incident.” One of them said. Fluttershy frowned and spoke up.

“This… This isn’t a party for Coal. It’s not even a party.” Fluttershy said. Pinkie Pie was holding a balloon when she said this.

“It’s not?” She let go as the balloon flew out of her hands and all over the area.

“This is a service. To honour those who have possibly died during the invasion. Not only that, but it’s to celebrate our ability to rebuild. We managed to repel the invasion. Not just us and the Princesses, but everypony.” Fluttershy said. She gulped as her eyes looked around, shaking as she thought no one would respond. Then she heard a voice.

“Yeah!” Fluttershy saw a gray Pegasus with yellow eyes fly up. “When my daughters were being attacked by them, I simply fought them away long enough for them to get away. I then held them back until they were defeated by Shining Armor’s shield!” She said. Another pony stepped in. It was a gray Earth Pony, though the coat was slightly more golden colored than the Pegasus.

“I can’t help but admit, me and the DJ had a blast beating up those Changelings.” She said. Fluttershy looked and saw the ponies beginning to talk among themselves. Pinkie could see smiles emerging. She began to smile too.

“Yeah! Let’s honour them!” With that, everyone cheered. While the party didn’t have as much dancing and singing as Pinkie would have liked, she did enjoy the anecdotes the ponies shared. Well, the ones not involving dead ponies at least. She looked over to Fluttershy.

“Wow! You did it! You managed turn the entire mood around!” She said… only to find Fluttershy shivering and blushing.

“Oh thank goodness! You wouldn’t believe how nervous I was!” She said.


“Admire me? You’re just trying to creep me out now.” Applejack said.

“No. I’m just grateful for your existence. You’re the first pony to have made friends with Twilight and actualize her element.” She said.

“Bull. Her brother was the first friend she made.” Applejack said.

“Really? I wouldn’t have noticed. He seemed rather friendly towards her at the rehearsal.” Mare Do Well said.

“You missed the part where she yelled at his fiancé.” Applejack muttered.

“False fiancé.” Mare Do Well smirked. “But don’t worry, after I’m done here, I’ll head for him and make sure he’s sorry for what he had done too. After all, had it not been for him, you wouldn’t have ditched Twilight, correct?” She asked.

“… Yeah…” Applejack then socked Mare Do Well in the jaw. “But if it weren’t for us, Twilight wouldn’t have been taken to the caves!”

“And Cadance wouldn’t have been found. I know how the song and dance goes.” Mare Do Well wiped whatever blood came out of her mouth before she put on her mask again.

“So… If you know our betrayal to the Elements was necessary to save Cadance and Canterlot, why even have this rebellion?” Applejack asked.

“Like I said before, I speak for the ponies. They wanted it. I just wanted-” Applejack socked Mare Do Well in the face again.

“Power! Admit it! The riot, the exposing of Celestia, defaming each and everyone of us, it’s is all just an attempt to taking the throne!” She said.

“If we’re being honest…” Mare Do Well laughed. “Yes. This was all a power grab. But I won’t be the one taking the crown.” She said. “Twilight will. For she will one day be the Princess of Equestria. Protecting it from everything that dares to destroy harmony.”


Twilight entered Mindy’s house and proceeded to sit on a nearby chair.

“So where’s Coal?” Twilight asked. Mindy entered the kitchen and got a few things ready.

“He’ll be around…” She said. “I can answer for you if you’d like.” Mindy said.

“Well, I guess it wouldn’t hurt. You said earlier that you were his guardian, right?” Twilight asked.

“Yeah. I was.” She said.

“Must have been a very quick adoption process considering the fallout of the attack.” Twilight said.

“I was the sister to his mother. During the recovery, I took him in.” Mindy came back with a plate containing cookies.

“Oh… I’m sorry for your loss.” She said.

“Thank you. My family was in the rock farming business. My cutie mark wound up putting me in Canterlot instead of the rock farm.” Mindy said. Twilight looked at her Cutie Mark. It was a pink brain with an open book imprinted on it.

“What is your Cutie Mark? Mind me asking.” She asked.

“I’m able to read minds. Not just with magic. I can tell what someone is thinking just from their motions alone.” Mindy asked.

“Hmm… Could you try me?” Twilight sat comfortable and twiddled her hooves.

“I don’t have to. I already did when I saw you this morning. The way you denied being the saviour. Your disbelief at us wanting you to be our princess. When Celestia confessed her treason, you felt upset.” That’s when Twilight slammed her hoof on the table.

“SHE DIDN’T COMMIT TREASON!” She screamed. She breathed calmly after a moment. “She just made a mistake. Everypony makes mistakes.” Twilight said.

“You make being taken over by Changelings sound like a minor inconvenience.” Mindy glared at Twilight.

“It wasn’t… I’ll admit that. But don’t confuse being fooled for purposefully betraying the kingdom. Understand?” Twilight glared back.

“…Understood.” Mindy said. Twilight sat back down and had a cookie.


“But why?” Applejack asked.

“You saw how Canterlot almost got taken over when Celestia was calling the shots. You saw just how easily Discord and Nightmare Moon were defeated by you and your friends. If I were to choose who’d protect Equestria, I’d pick you six every time… Though I’d be playing bias.” Mare Do Well said. She opened up her shield. “You’re free, Applejack.” She said.

“I’m not leaving Dashie.” Applejack said. “And if ya force me to leave, I’m gonna tell everypony who you are and what you’re really planning!” Mare Do Well sniggered.

“Good point.” She closed the shield. “Besides, I want to continue a bit with our discussion.” She said.

“What’s there to discuss?” Applejack asked.

“Coal…” Mare Do Well said.

“What about him?” Applejack said.

“Well… If I’m to be honest…” Mare Do Well looked out the window.


Rarity trotted through the remains of what used to be the main Canterlot strip mall. What once were delicate fabrics and expensive antiques were now scorched earth and damaged goods. She stopped by a table and looked at an empty area. She could remember the first time she met Fancy Pants. She looked around. Her heart began to pound as she assumed the worst.

She sighed when she remembered taking a photo with him last night. But just thinking of him dead made her sad. She then thought about the other ponies that she had met during her time. As she did, she could imagine them all be dead. Dead at the hooves of the Changelings. She began to tear up. She sat on the table. That’s when she saw a paper on the table.

It was a newspaper. The heading read “Foal Free Press”. She remembered Sweetie Belle telling her that with Diamond Tiara replaced by Featherweight was the best thing that had happened to the press, as they managed to maintain the popularity that the Gabby Gums articles garnered. However, with the thought of Gabby Gums, she was reminded of the time her sister was shut out from society by hypocrites, including herself. This straw broke the camel’s back. She began to cry and weep all over the paper.

“I’m sorrrrry!” She shouted. She continued crying for a minute before they stopped being loud sobs and more silent winces. She looked at the wet paper. That’s when the crying stopped. She was now looking at many things: the picture, the date, and even the headline.

She gasped and took the paper. She had to let the others know of this news.


“I’m sure you were very worried for your sister’s well being.” Twilight said.

“Yes, when I heard the news that the Changelings attacked, I hid in my house and prayed she was safe.” Mindy said.

“How could you have hidden so well when the Changelings attacked almost everywhere?” Twilight asked.

“I… uh...” Mindy said. That’s when Twilight could see Rarity running.

“Hold on.” Twilight went over and opened the window. “Rarity?” Twilight asked. Rarity instantly b-lined towards Mindy’s house and knocked on the door. Twilight went over and opened it. “Rarity, what happened? Why did Mare Do Well set you free?” Twilight asked. That’s when she saw the paper in her mouth.

While the newspaper showed that the local Manehattan orphanage was saved from being demolished, it was just one little pony that she eyed on the article. One pony that she recognized. It was Coal, standing there in a row of twelve other orphaned ponies. The date was another factor. The paper dated a week prior to the wedding.

“What the-” That’s when Mindy ambushed Twilight and smashed her head in with the plate, shattering it and knocking her out in the process.


“You made a foal lie!?” Applejack clenched her teeth, ready to put all four hooves into Mare Do Well’s mouth.

“No… I merely made him remember his life a bit differently. You ponies can sympathize with children and be able to feel empathy towards them. The ponies were bitter about the attack, but they needed that extra push. A crying child was just what they needed.” She said.

YOU USED HIM!” Applejack tried to punch her, but she managed to paralyze her with her magic.

“I have to adhere to the agreement we set and tell you the truth. It was his mother’s idea, not mine. I just went along with it because it’d be one step closer to making Twilight the Princess of Equestria.” She said.

“Think about her, wouldn’t ya, sugarcube!? She wouldn’t want this position if it’s bought with dishonesty and the dethroning of her mentor!” Applejack begged.

“I have thought about her, dearie. More times than you have thought about her during your stay in Canterlot. But think about this, Applejack. Coal’s parents are still dead, regardless of if they died to Changelings or not. Knowing Twilight, I’d suspect that she got the truth out and poor Mindy will be torn away from her nephew. Who will protect him once the dust settles?” She said as her horn began to glow magenta. Applejack merely looked to her as a tear fell.

“I… don’t know.” Applejack said.

“Let that fill your mind. I do apologize for this, though. I honestly thought that you'd side with me on this.” With that, her horn flashed. Applejack suddenly exploded in a flash of magenta and was teleported out of the chamber. Mare Do Well let down the shields and looked to Rainbow Dash, who was just regaining consciousness.

“It’s just you and me, Loyalty.” Mare Do Well said. Rainbow Dash looked to Mare Do Well with a grin on her face.

“No… It’s just me. Bring it on.” And with that, Rainbow dashed towards Mare Do Well.