• Published 17th Nov 2013
  • 13,812 Views, 562 Comments

Welcome, My Little One - Delta 727



Twilight never knew just how beautiful being a mother could be.

  • ...
72
 562
 13,812

Back To Canterlot

Welcome, My Little One: Back To Canterlot

It was fifteen years after the birth of Northern Lights. In fact, it was fifteen years and one day. Northern lights had just turned fifteen the day before, but he was as hyperactive as ever. Flash had been called away to Canterlot to serve in the Royal Guard a month before, so Twilight promised to bring Northern Lights to Canterlot for a visit. They took the train to Canterlot, and when they arrived, Flash was waiting for them at the station. Northern Lights had seen his father waiting on the platform when they arrived, and he was one of the first off the train. When Twilight got off, she saw Northern Lights jump into his father, hugging his neck.

"Dad!" Northern Lights yelled as he jumped into his father. Flash laughed.

"Hey there, buddy," Flash said as he hugged his foal. He set him down, and Twilight joined them. "Happy birthday, North. How've you been?"

"Great!" Northern Lights said. "Mom got me a Wonderbolts necker... Um... Neck..." Northern Lights tried to pronounce the word.

"Neckerchief," Twilight said.

"Yeah, that!" Northern Lights reared up his head, showing off the blue cloth with the Wonderbolts symbol stitched into it, and a yellow lightning bolt pattern wrapping around the border. Northern Lights lowered his head, still smiling. "Mom says it came from a real Wonderbolt outfit!"

"Really?" Flash said, then looked at Twilight. "How'd you get one of those?"

Twilight scuffed her hoof on the concrete platform. "Rainbow Dash did me a little favor. She got it from an outfit of one of the Wonderbolts who retired. They gave her the outfit, saying they wanted her to keep it. Something about how they owed her a favor or something."

"Ah," Flash said, then looked back to Northern Lights. "Very cool." He smiled. "How 'bout we go pay a visit to your Aunt, and we'll go out for a while and catch up, eh?" Northern Lights' face lit up.

"Yeah!" Northern Lights jumped a couple times in joy.

Flash smiled as he turned toward the road to the castle, patting his back. "All aboard!" he said, and Northern Lights jumped on his back.

Twilight quickly hugged Flash, careful with Northern Lights, and Flash hugged back. When they let go, Twilight spoke.

"I missed you," she said.

"Missed you, too," Flash replied, and they began to head for the castle. "So how's Spike?"

"He's been great," Twilight said. "Just keeps getting bigger. Been a real help around the house, though."

"He still get letters from Princess Celestia?" Flash asked.

"Oh, of course," Twilight replied. "He's still my number one assistant. He's getting big, though. Kinda sad wondering how long he'll be able to stay."

"I wouldn't worry about that just yet," Flash said. "He's still here, and that's all that matters."

"Yeah," Northern Lights said, to the surprise of his parents. "I'm gonna miss Uncle Spike too, but I'm glad he's still here, so he can still play with me when I get home!" Twilight and Flash looked at each other, and smiled.

"That's a good way to look at it," Twilight said. "I bet Spike would say the same thing."

Northern Lights smiled just as they were approaching the castle. Two guards were standing out front. They nodded to Twilight as they approached, and saluted when they saw Flash.

"Captain," one of the guards said. "And your Highness."

"Good morning, soldier," Twilight said with a smile.

"At ease," Flash said next. "Is the Princess here?"

"Yes, sir," the other guard said. "She's expecting all three of you." The two guards pushed open the doors.

"Thank you," Flash said. "As you were."

The guards didn't respond again. They stood, still as statues, and closed the doors behind the family as they entered.

Inside stood Celestia's throne. At the base were two more guards, but no sign of Luna. Twilight wondered why that was, but her thoughts were interrupted as Celestia descended her throne. Northern Lights jumped off of Flash's back, and ran forward, jumping up to hug Celestia.

"Aunt Celestia!" Northern lights shouted as he hugged his Aunt. Celestia giggled.

"Well, hello there," she said. "Oh, my, how you've grown." She set Northern Lights down. "So what's this I hear yesterday was your birthday?"

"Yeah!" Northern Lights said. "Mom brought me here to see you and Dad!"

"Well, I'm very glad to see you," Celestia said. "I'm very sorry for keeping your father here for so long, but I'm sure your mother has been taking good care of you."

"It's okay," Northern Lights said. "I get to see him all day today, and Mom's been the best Mom ever!"

"That's great to hear," Celestia smiled. "Now run along, and go have fun with your Dad. I'd like to spend some time with your mother so we can catch up."

"Alright, buddy," Flash said as he approached with Twilight. "The Princess has spoken. So how's about you and I catch up over ice cream, eh?"

"Yeah!" Northern Lights leaped back onto Flash's back. "Let's go, let's go!" He hopped up and down on Flash's back.

"Whoa, easy there," Flash said. "I'm old, remember?" Northern Lights was too excited to listen. Flash just smiled, rolled his eyes, and took his foal out of the castle toward Canterlot, leaving Twilight and Celestia with the two guards. As soon as her family left, Twilight hugged her old mentor with the same happiness she felt as though it were her first day of teaching again.

"Welcome back, my faithful student," Celestia said. Twilight was smiling as she let go of her teacher.

"Thanks, Princess Celestia," Twilight said. "I'm so glad I get to see you again."

"Me, too," Celestia smiled, and turned toward a hallway that led into the castle. "Come, we'll talk more in my study." She began to trot into the hallway, followed by Twilight. They didn't talk as they went, since Twilight was deep in thought. She had one of those looks, and Celestia could tell.

Twilight was thinking about all the things she remembered from the castle. The old banners, the guards, the library most of all. Nothing semmed to have changed over the years. Twilight knew that no matter how much the world changed, her home away from home never would.

While she was deep in thought, Twilight came back to her senses as her muzzle collided with the door frame that led into the study.

"Ow!" She put a hoof to her throbbing muzzle, and groaned in a nasal-pitched voice. She looked to her left at Celestia when she heard her talk.

"Careful," Celestia said with a smile. "Alicorns still can't walk through walls."

Twilight just kept rubbing her muzzle as she entered the study. Celestia followed after, closing the door behind them. Twilight had taken a seat on one of the cushioned couches, and Celestia took one across from Twilight.

"So where should I start?" Twilight asked, letting go of her muzzle.

"Let's start with you," Celestia said. "How have you been doing?"

"Really good, actually," Twilight said. "You were right. Having a foal is one of the best things that's ever happened to me."

"Good, good," Celestia said. "Is spike still getting my letters?"

"He is," Twilight said. "And speaking of him, he's getting really big. He's growing just as fast as Northy."

"That's to be expected," Celestia said. "You've done a very good job in raising him. How has he been with Northern Lights?"

"Oh, he's been great!" Twilight replied. "Northy looks at Spike like an uncle. I asked him why he didn't say stepfather, and his answer was that Spike wasn't old enough to be. I guess that makes sense from his point of view."

"Whatever he calls him, I would bet that Spike thinks he's the closest thing he's ever had to a son," Celestia said. "It certainly sounds like Spike's treating him as such."

Twilight thought about that for a moment. She never thought about Spike being a fatherly figure to Northern Lights. But Celestia was right. He certainly acted like a father toward Northern Lights. She decided not to bring it up, since it seemed Flash didn't mind.

"So now I have to ask," Celestia continued. "How is Northern Lights?"

"Oh, he's wonderful," Twilight said. "He's growing up so fast, and he's so smart, now, too. He's really competetive, always racing with Flash, and he likes to wrestle and play ball with Spike. I tried to get him into books, but he fell asleep with Flash and Spike halfway through the history of Ponyville." They both giggled at that. "He's absolutely amazing."

"I'm so glad to hear that, Twilight," Celestia said. "You know, Luna and I talked that night when I visited you at the hospital. We were worried about how well he'd turn out. An Alicorn and a regular pony having a foal was just unheard of. The fact he's grown up so well is amazing."

"Wow," Twilight said. "I never thought of it that way. I mean, he seems like just any normal Pegasus."

Celestia smiled. "He's no normal Pegasus, Twilight. He's very special. All ponies are in their own way. You'll truly realize that one day."

"Oh, I've realised that already," Twilight said. "Just not done finding out how special."

There was a knock at the door to the study. A guard opened the door, and stuck his head in.

"My Princess," he said. "Luna has requested you in the tower." Celestia nodded, acknowledging the guard, and he left.

"Sorry, Twilight," Celestia said. "Family calls." She got up from the couch, with Twilight following after. "And besides," she said as she opened the door. "I think your family's waiting for you, too."

Twilight smiled, and hugged her mentor one more time. "Thanks, Princess Celestia. I'll try to visit you again before we leave, okay?"

Celestia nodded as they entered the throne room. "I would like that very much. Now run along." Twilight smiled, and darted for the exit. "Have fun!" Celestia called after her.

"I will!" Twilight opened the door, and waved back at Celestia. "Goodbye, Princess Celestia!" And with that, she was gone.

Princess Celestia smiled after her student. "Goodbye, my faithful student. May you and your family be safe and happy for years to come." She turned and headed for the stairs to the tower, smiling to herself.

---

Twilight made her way back to Canterlot, spotting her family at a table in the Daisy Cake ice cream shop. Northern Lights was halfway through a chocolate cone, and Flash had a vanilla hazelnut cone, also half eaten. Twilight trotted inside, causing the bell on the door to ring. The server behind the counter tipped his paper hat toward her.

"To o' the morning to ya, Princess," he said. "What can I get for ya?"

Twilight smiled. "Strawberry rhubarb in a paper bowl, please." The server tipped his hat again, and went to work. Twilight took a seat on the chair next to Northern Lights, and gave him a quick hug. He smiled, and so did Flash.

"So," Flash said. "Did you have fun at the castle?" Twilight glanced out the window at the Princesses' castle, and smiled one more time.

"I did," she said. "And I'm glad we came."