• Published 17th Nov 2013
  • 13,889 Views, 562 Comments

Welcome, My Little One - Delta 727



Twilight never knew just how beautiful being a mother could be.

  • ...
72
 562
 13,889

One Last Time

(Before I begin this chapter, I have a song that I need you to have at the ready. Do not listen to it yet. Simply pause it until I say to play it. You will understand why later. Here is the link. Thank you.)

Welcome, My Little One: One Last Time

"I love you... I love you so much..."

Twilight Sparkle once again found herself in a hospital, holding tightly to her little one. Only this time, it was much different.

Northern Lights, Twilight's dear son, now lay in a hospital bed. Frail and fragile, he had grown old and was beginning to whither away. His mane had gone nearly completely grey, his skin was sagging off of his bones, and the life seemed to have drained from his eyes. His hoof was holding on to his mother's, not daring to let go.Twilight's sobs were only matched by the beeping of the heart monitor connected to her son.

"I know you do, Momma." Northern Lights' voice was dry and weak, only a trace of the energy it once had remaining. "And that's all that matters right now."

Twilight's eyes met her son's, and she was able to force a small smile. "That's all that ever mattered, Northy. And when you see your father and your wife again, I want you to tell them that I love them too."

Now, Northern Lights smiled. "I'm sure you'll get to tell them yourself some day. But I suppose I can pass on the message." Twilight tried her best to smile through her tears, but it cracked with each sob. "Hey, c'mon now," Northern Lights continued, raising one shaking hoof to his mother's eye to wipe away a tear. "No mother should ever know what this is like, I know, but hey, think about it. You've gotten to love your kid a heck of a lot longer than most mothers get to. That's a plus, right?"

Twilight sniffed back her tears. "If there's one thing I've learned as my time as a member of the Elements of Harmony, and my time as a Princess, it's that love could last forever if it's allowed to. But who's to say I'm ever going to stop loving you?"

"That's the spirit," Northern Lights said. He coughed a couple times, and sank back into his pillow. "Man, getting old stinks. I don't know how you put up with it."

Twilight forced a giggle at that. "Cadence said that 'age before beauty' always was a joke, and that Alicorns were living proof. And the same went for you. When you were born, you were the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. And no matter what, you'll always be that little foal laying right there beside me."

"That's what it was like when I saw Evergreen," Northern Lights said. "She was beautiful, almost as beautiful as her mother. She still is, I'm sure." Northern Lights managed to look up enough to look his mother in the eyes. "Can you promise me something?"

"Of course, Northy," Twilight replied.

"Can you look after her for me? I told her not to come here and see me like this. It's not how I want her to remember me."

"Of course I can." Twilight brushed a strand of hair out of Northern Lights' eyes. "She'll be safe and sound as long as I'm here, I promise."

"Thank you so much, Mom." Northern Lights coughed again. "She means the world to me."

"I know," Twilight replied. "She's a big part of my world too. But you'll always be the world to me." She sniffled, and the tears started to fall again.

Northern Lights sighed with a smile and closed his eyes, his voice lowering to a whisper. "I love you, Momma."

Twilight closed her eyes, and nestled her muzzle against his shoulder. "I love you too, my little one." She began to cry again, but the sobbing had stopped. "Forever and always."



Beep...



Beep...



Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-click.




Three days later...

"Twilight?"

Princess Celestia had not seen Twilight since the funeral of her son, and shehad begun to get worried. She herself could only understand the pain that Twilight must have been feeling, but she had thought that Twilight would be looking for consolance by now. She knew that mourning alone would only hurt her more.

When she opened the door to Twilight's library, it was very dark, the only light coming from a candle slowly burning on the wall halfway up the stairs. She noticed that the door to Northern Lights' room under the stairs was open. She approached the door, and peered into the darkness.

Northern Lights' room was relatively left as it was when he moved out. His same old bed with its Wonderbolts blanket, a few posters, a bedside nightstand and lamp, a dresser, and a blue rug. As Princess Celestia squinted, she could see a purple mass in the middle of the rug, simply sitting with a glass of water next to her. Sorrow flooded her heart, and she had to hold herself back for a moment to collect herself before she spoke.

"Twilight?" she said again. Her only response was a faint sniffle. Without another word, she slipped into the room and laid down next to Twilight, facing her. She gently nuzzled Twilight's shoulder for a moment, and Twilight turned to look at her. Her eyes were red with tears, and she looked drained of hope. Princess Celestia's heavy heart fell right into her stomach. "Oh, Twilight," was all she could say.

"I know, Princess Celestia," Twilight replied. "I'm not doing so well. It's like I've been sick for all this time. I'm-" she paused as she tried to think of a word.

"Heartsick," Princess Celestia finished.

"Yes," Twilight replied. "It's like it's broken and sick at the same time. I just don't know what to do, Princess Celestia." She turned back to stare up at a picture of Northern Lights as a foal, posing with the Wonderbolts, hanging above his old bed. "I miss him so much."

"I know it's hard, Twilight, though I cannot say I know your pain fully." Princess Celestia turned to look at the photo herself. "I've never had children of my own, but I always feared I would know the feeling of losing you one day. While the time has been prolonged, it still lingers over me-"

"Huh?" Twilight cut her off. "Did you say 'prolonged'?"

"Yes, Twilight," Princess Celestia said absent-mindedly. Then it came to her. "Oh, you did not know that you-"

"Aren't immortal?" Twilight's eyes were locked on Princess Celestia.

Princess Celestia sighed. "I am afraid so." She looked away from Twilight again, this time looking at a photo of Northern Lights and Twilight posing together on a balcony at the Canterlot castle. "As you can imagine, Alicorns are not immortal. Luna and I once had a mother ourselves, but she has passed on, just as all ponies must one day. And Luna and I must one day bear descendants to take our place one day. But you, Twilight, are different." She turned back to Twilight, who hadn't moved an inch. "You are still a pony at heart. We gave you the wings and the power of any normal Alicorn, but you are still in part a normal pony at heart. Your life is prolonged, but not as long as us. You may not grow old, but you will pass on as all Alicorns must. I dread that day still, but I can assure you that there are great things waiting for you on the other side."

Twilight was frozen. Her thoughts were a mix of happiness and sorrow. Happiness for the joy of seeing her son again one day, and sorrow for knowing that her mentor would still have to see her pass away. A sob escaped her lips, and a few tears ran down her cheeks. She couldn't hold it any longer, She jumped up and into Princess Celestia's chest, pressing herself there and letting the crying come free. Princess Celestia wrapped one leg around Twilight, and simply held her as she cried until Twilight finally spoke through her sobs.

"I'm sorry, Princess," she whispered.

"No, no, Twilight, please," Princess Celestia replied, gently pushing Twilight back into a sitting position and looking her in her teary eyes. "You have nothing to be sorry for. I am happy for the time we've had, and for the time we still have. But this isn't completely what it is supposed to be. You belong with your son in the next life, and I promise that when you get there, you can be sure that one day I will return to you just as you will to him." She wiped a tear from Twilight's eye, and Twilight sniffled. Princess Celestia simply smiled. "You are a wonderful pony, and Equestria is lucky to have you. Don't cry for me. I know you'll be somewhere better. I've seen it."

Twilight sniffled again, wiping away a few more tears. "You've... You've seen it?"

Princess Celestia smiled and stood up. "Come with me back to Canterlot. I have something very special to show you." She very carefully helped Twilight to her hooves. "That is, if you're ready."

Twilight nodded, and Princess Celestia led the way out the door. But before Twilight left, she turned to the photos of Northern Lights in his room. She spotted one in particular: a picture of Northern Lights as a young foal, barely a newborn, cuddled up in his crib and wrapped in the same blanket that now adorned his bed. His eyes were closed, and he had a warm smile on his face. Twilight smiled through her tears, gently kissing one hoof, and placing it against the picture carefully.

"I love you, Northern Lights," Twilight said. Then she slowly backed out of the room as if Northern Lights was still right there, sleeping soundly, and she was trying not to wake him. She slowly closed the door, and kept one eye looking through the crack like she always would, making sure he was perfectly safe before she closed the door. Her smile never left as she closed the door, leaving Northern Lights to sleep soundly for the last time.

---

"We're here."

Princess Celestia had brought Twilight to a room in Canterlot castle that she had never seen before. It was a small room deep under the castle, with walls made of the same cold stone and a bare floor. But inside was an oval mirror, beautifully gilded with a golden frame. What Twilight didn't realize was just how special this mirror was.

"What is it?" Twilight asked.

"It's your chance to see your little foal one last time in this world," Princess Celestia replied. Twilight's eyes instantly snapped to the Princess, but before she could blurt anything out, the Princess went on. "Hush, Twilight. I need you to listen carefully." She turned to Twilight, and her voice turned very serious. "You will be able to see him and all of your friends and family once more, but only once more. After this, you cannot come back and see them again. The living are not meant to speak to the dead, but we are only able to bend these rules a little bit. Therefore, you are also limited on time. I recommend that you say your greetings to your family and friends again, but do your best to say whatever you need to say to Northern Lights. This will be your last chance until you pass away as well. And you are not to mention a word of this to anypony, not even Cadence or Luna. They are perfectly aware of the existence of this and Cadence has already used her time to visit your brother once more. This mirror is forbidden to be seen by normal ponies, and therefore if you are to so much as whisper it in a pony's ear, you will be punished greatly. Do you understand?"

Twilight took a minute to think long and hard about what the Princess told her, about her decision, and about what she would say. After very careful deliberation, she shook her head to clear her thoughts. She knew what she wanted to do, and she couldn't let her emotions get in the way of it. She nodded.

"Good. I will connect you to the other side, and I will leave. I do not want to rush you, but do not linger any longer than you feel you need to say what you need to. Please, stand back." Twilight took a few steps back toward the door, and Princess Celestia began to concentrate her magic. Her face contorted slightly as she did so, and her horn began to glow. Finally, it lit up in a flash, and her eyes sprang open. They were glowing white. The surface of the mirror began to glow as well, and grew so bright that Twilight could not longer see a reflection in it. After Princess Celestia's magic was concentrated for a moment, it began to calm down, and the light both in her horn and eyes and in the mirror began to fade. But the reflection in the mirror did not return. Instead, there came an image that almost brought Twilight to tears. As took in what she saw, she heard the door close behind her as Princess Celestia left.

She saw all of her old friends, the Element-bearers, her parents, Shining Armor, Flash Sentry, Poppy, and Northern Lights all together in an open meadow. The sun was shining, and she could see a village in the background, where the spirits of her friends and family must have lived. The ponies she saw were about the same age as each other, the same age that Twilight still looked herself, and they were all playing or talking among themselves or other friends and family they knew themselves.

Twilight had to hold back her tears as she saw her son again. He was laying with Poppy in the grass, talking happily with her. Poppy was wearing a straw sun hat, and her old handkerchief was tied around her neck. She was so focused on her son that she did not notice that one pony had seen her.

"Twilight!" Pinkie Pie screamed. Before she could even react, the pink pony was right up against the surface of the "glass". She was scrabbling against it and yelling at a mile a minute. Things like "I can't believe it's you!" and "I missed you!" and "Is Sugarcube Corner okay?" until finally she was pulled back by Applejack, who was just as happy to see her. All of the other ponies took notice, and they were all looking up at her, talking all at once and asking all sorts of questions.

Twilight giggled as a few tears ran down her face. "Hello, everypony. Mom. Dad. Applejack. Rarity. Pinkie Pie. Rainbow Dash. Fluttershy. Shining Armor. Flash. Poppy." She paused on the last name, smiling harder than ever. "Northern Lights." They all gave their greetings in turn.

"Hello again, dear."

"Hello, honey."

"Howdy, Sugarcube."

"Hello again, darling."

"I should've made a batch of cupcakes!"

"Hey again, Egghead."

"U-um, I'm very happy to see you again Twilight." She was the one having the hardest time fighting back tears.

"Good to see ya, Twiley."

"Princess Twilight, and my dear wife." He winked smoothly, sniffing back tears.

"Well if it ain't mah favorite in-law!"



"Momma..."

Twilight nearly broke when she heard that word again. She simply sniffed back her tears and straightened up with a smile. "I'm sorry I have to be so brief, but I don't have a lot of time. Princess Celestia has let me come and see all of you like this because it's a great privilege granted only to Alicorns. I just wanna say, I still love all of you and I have some bittersweet new. I get to come there with all of you one day." There were a few gasps of surprise and a little cheer from her family and friends. "I know, it was a surprise to me too. It turns out that Alicorns don't live forever, and since I used to be just a normal pony, I don't live as long as normal Alicorns, so I'll be moving on before Princess Celestia and Luna still. While it's sad to know that they still have to see me pass on, it's wonderful knowing I get to come there one day." There came a few more comments such as "that's great news" and "don't keep us waiting too long" and "don't worry, we're not going anywhere anytime soon". She was almost overwhelmed by this, but she remembered what she wanted to do. "I hate to cut this time so short, but I don't have long. I just wanna say I love all of you so much, and I can't wait to come see you again. But I need a favor from all of you. Well, almost all of you." She looked over all the expectant, teary-eyed faces looking at her from the other side of the mirror. "I would like these last few minutes alone with Northern Lights." She expected several protests, but not one spoke up against it. Many of them said they would happily oblige, and said it was wonderful seeing her again.

Northern Lights was almost in awe. He was overjoyed on the inside knowing that his mother was asking ponies she hadn't seen for years to cut their time short just for him, and they all completely understood. He simply sat there staring as Twilight said her individual goodbyes and farewells to each one of her family members and friends, who all left one at a time until only Northern LIghts remained.

"Hey, Northy," Twilight said, tears welling in her eyes.

Northern Lights stood up and trotted over to stand just across from his mother. "Mom..." was all he could say. He pressed a hoof against the shield keeping them apart, and Twilight put hers over his.

"It feels like you're right in front of me again," Twilight said. "If only I could just touch you again." Northern Lights was speechless. He was on the verge of tears. "I know this is all a bit of a surprise for you, but it was a surprise for me too. You have no idea how happy I am to see you again."

"It's so hard to believe that I died right in front of you not an hour ago."

"An hour?" Twilight was befuddled. "It's been days here."

Northern Lights managed a small chuckle. "Well, look at that. Maybe you won't be gone as long as I thought. A few years, and maybe you'll be here to celebrate Hearth's Warming Eve."

Twilight smiled. "I would love that, Northy. But I would love nothing more than to be there with you, even for just a day."

"Well, you always taught me about patience," Northern Lights said, "So I guess it's my turn to teach you. Just take it day by day, and know I'm thinking of you all the time."

"I'll be thinking of you too. You won't leave my mind for a second."

"Don't," Northern Lights said in a very serious voice. Twilight was caught by surprise, but Northern Lights went on. "I don't want my memory to be in your mind so much. I want you to live your life without you being sad for me all the time. Just remember all the good we had, and think about all the more good you can still have. I love you, Mom. And I just want you to remember that you love me too. Not that you've lost me for now. Promise me you won't be sad for me anymore." Twilight couldn't say a word. "Promise me."

"Cross my heart, hope to fly," Twilight started, her voice hoarse from tears.

"Stick a cupcake in my eye," Northern Lights finished, placing his free hoof over one closed eye. "Now no more tears. I don't want to cry yourself dry because of me."

"No more tears," Twilight said. "But I have enough love for you that's bigger than any sadness with ever be."

"Me too, and that's a promise too."

The mirror's color faded a little, then returned.

"I don't have much time left." Twilight's smile faded a little.

"Alright, don't freak out," Northern Lights said. "You're just gonna burst into tears again if it's too sudden. I just wanna say I love you, and me not being there will be a lot easier to swallow if you just remember that I'm thinking about you every time I go to sleep. And when you're about to sleep, think of me. Then we can say we both did it. That's how I got through Poppy passing away. You'd be surprised how close you feel to somepony when you do that."

"I will, Northy. Every night. I promise." Twilight smiled as she remembered something. "And speaking of sleeping, I think I have something you're going to love."

"What's that?" Northern Lights asked, a bit puzzled.

"A new lullaby." Northern Lights' smile faded, and tears began to well up. "Would you like to hear it?"

Northern Lights paused, then sniffed back his tears. "More than anything."

"It's not the one I sang when you were a foal. It's a new one that Poppy taught me, one that she said the ponies at the orphanage sang to Wintergreen and all the other orphans there. I think you'll understand why when you hear it. Are you ready?" Northern lights sniffed, tears already welling up, but he nodded. What Twilight didn't know was that Northern Lights could have sworn that Twilight and Poppy both had the same loving tone when they sang that was so identical, he had Poppy sing it again every night as a memoir of his mother. With that, Twilight began to sing.

(Please play the song now, and read along with the lyrics as it plays.)

Wandering child of the earth

Do you know just how much you're worth?

You have walked this path since you're birth.

You were destined for more.

There are those that will tell you you're wrong.

They will try to silence your song.

But right here is where you belong

So don't search anymore.

You are the dawn of a new day that's waking.

A masterpiece that's still in the making.

The blue in an ocean of grey.

You are right where you need to be.

Poised to inspire and to succeed. You'll look back and you'll realize one day.

In your eyes there is doubt

As you try to figure it out

But that's not what life is about

So have faith

There's a way.

Though the world may try to define you

It can't take the light that's inside you.

So don't you dare try to hide

Let your fears fade away.

You are the dawn of a new day that's waking.

A masterpiece still in the making.

The blue in an ocean of grey.

You are right where you need to be.

Poised to inspire and to succeed.

You'll look back and realize one day.

You are the dawn of a new day that's waking.

A masterpiece still in the making.

The blue in an ocean of grey.

You are right where you need to be.

Poised to inspire and to succeed.

Soon you'll Finally find your own way.



Northern Lights was crying by the end of the lullaby.

"I love you, Northern Lights."

"I love you too, Momma."

The reflection faded, and Northern Lights was gone.

The time was up, and it was time to move on.

But despite the departure,

Their time was not yet done.

Because there would be a day

When she would once again say,

"Welcome, My Little One."

Author's Note:

Thank you all so much for coming on this journey with me. This story was one of the best I've ever written, and I'm so happy you all loved it so much that you encouraged me to come as far as I have. I don't have many completed story, but this one deserved a wonderful ending. Again, thank you all so much for your love and support, and may you all one day know the joys of having your own little one.

From writer to dreamer to creator,

~Delta 727

Comments ( 36 )

D-damn.... t-this isn't tears! what are you talking about!
*wipes away tears*
A damn good finish to a wonderful story, now if you excuse me, im gonna go cry in a corner

I had a hard time following along with with the lyrics since my eyes wouldn't stop watering. I can't even see properly while typing this comment:fluttercry:

A simply beautiful ending, well done!:raritycry:

:fluttercry: :fluttershbad: :raritycry: :raritydespair: this was a beautiful story and the song wil always be with me... great job

Comment posted by Alcatraz deleted Jun 30th, 2015

Beautiful conclusion. Many tears were shed

Beautiful, simply beautiful. :heart: :fluttercry:

That was such a sweet story. Thanks for writing it. I can't wait to read any future stories from you. This story was wonderful and always made me smile.

5652121

Good job with comparing. :facehoof:

You brought me to tears with this ending and no other fanfic has ever made me cry actual tears.

This was a wonderful ending. Sad, but it provided closure as well.
Thank you :twilightsmile:

This I have to say is one of few things in this world that can make me cry. I loved every bit of the story and I have to agree this is one of your best works yet.

Truly a touching story. Thank you for allowing us to enjoy such a beautiful tale. Honestly it was an enriching experience to read. Thank you.

NOT GONNA CRY! NOT GONNA CRY! IM A TOUGH GUY!
*crying* why!? this is beautifull!!

*Sniffs...

Oh...I promised myself that I wasn't gonna cry.

*Breaks down it tears...

too late!!!

*sobs

That was so beautiful...My Mom would love this story.:fluttercry::heart:

I'm not one for FlashLight shippings but I am still a sucker for mother alicorn Twilight. Now I must find more.

it was amazing to be a part of it. Thank you for writing it

When it came to the lullaby, I felt like my father was speaking to me again, I read it word for word and I just couldn't finish without breaking down. I miss my dad so much I wish I could see him again one last time.

Anyway's, I loved it all.

ive been following this story since the very beginning and not one has failed to make me cry but this ending just gives me hope about my life to enjoy what i have now and the time i have left i really hope there is something more and that i can meet all the people i have lost over the years thank you for such a very wonderful story and i hope you keep writing :heart:

5795478
5774429
Gentlemen and/or ladies, thanks a lot for the meaningful comments, they mean a lot to me! I don't know about writing a non-crossover anytime soon, but if you want to mix things up, my most popular crossover right now is a CoD: MW crossover I ripped off from- I mean took over for a friend.
You can also check out my first story (which has become a series) called "Resident Pon-Evil", my personal favorite. Or heck, look at all of 'em and tell me what you like! Enjoy! :twilightsmile:

5837035 Yeah, well I thought I'd go off the beaten path.
AND DO NOT
DO NOT
READ THE COMMENTS OR BLOG POSTS

6331377 As for all of your comments: First, I get the ages sound a little weird but I tend to treat their ages a little different from humans. Other than that, thank you~! :twilightsmile:

I Can't Stop Crying :applecry::fluttercry::raritycry::fluttershbad::fluttershyouch::ajsleepy::ajbemused:

Damn it. I want my daughter back

This is the second time i have read this and is still stabs be for more feels. :fluttercry::raritycry::fluttercry::raritycry::fluttercry::raritycry:

wow i really love the story keep up the good work i cant stop criying when twilight lost her son and when they saw each other again trou the mirror my heart really broke and sent me sobbing wich is really rarely happen to reading.im a tough girl :rainbowwild:(like dashie) really so youll rarely see me cry buy hit me with a verry sensitive subject and play your cards right, you can send me bralling me eyes out.:raritycry: it just happen right now. death and lost of someone really close is a very toichy subject for me. no i did not lose any one close to me thankfully but i hate to imagine it. :pinkiecrazy::ajsmug:

I just lost my Dad less than a month ago. He was a tough old bird, a true country boy and damn proud of it. To say that I miss him now would be the worst understatement of all time. I mean; how can anybody top my dad? Everybody loved him, he loved everybody, always made sure that people were happy, was strong in his beliefs, and just somebody that shouldn't have died like he did. But, he's gone now, and all that I have left of him are his memories. Somehow, I doubt that will be enough, but it's all I have. Reading this whole story made me really miss him more. I was literally in tears at the end. I'm a 26 year old full grown man, and I'm not afraid to admit I was in tears. Which is sad, because the day that he died, I didn't shed a single tear. I was told that people grieve in their own way, so, I guess, reading sad stories and crying to those is my way of grieving. Thank you sir/madam for creating this emotional and heartfelt masterpiece of a story.

Holy bucking ow... that last chapter, and that song... right thru the heart

imnot crying I just have something in my eyes

Glad I found this story. Was truly a joy to read.

I had been suggested this story by a friend, and by the throne it did not disappoint!

From beginning to end, this had amazing world building, well developed characters and so many feels that I just barely managed to hold it in.

As such, I give this 10/10 salutes.

o7 o7 o7 o7 o7
o7 o7 o7 o7 o7

Poor twilight in this story at the end she endet up alone :fluttercry:

I honestly cried so hard reading this chapter

A bit saccharin for my taste but a good read nonetheless. The ending did not disappoint. Sure I had to wipe away the tears from my screen, but I'd say that's a plus.

This story is a Masterpiece! Most tragic story I've ever read. :fluttercry:

Login or register to comment