• Published 22nd Nov 2013
  • 12,836 Views, 964 Comments

Shadow of the Sun - moguera



Dawn and Twilight must deal with their own respective troubles as dangerous forces marshal against them.

  • ...
25
 964
 12,836

Extinction

Chapter 20: Extinction

"I believe that is what started Arkenstone down the path that eventually led to his Knighthood," said Celestia as her tale drew to a close.

Twilight was silent as she processed the tale Celestia had told her. For the first time, she'd heard the truth of how Arkenstone had gained his cutie mark. Now, the way he had kept his distance afterwards made sense. How long has he kept this to himself? she wondered, How long has he been punishing himself for that?

She looked up at Celestia, who merely smiled down at her student. "Do you know what you need to do?" asked the Princess.

"I'm...not sure..." admitted Twilight, "It makes sense now, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it...how I feel about him."

"Whatever your feelings may be, I still hope you can help him," said Celestia.

Twilight nodded. She got up and left. Celestia watched her go, her smile fading as soon as Twilight was out of sight. "How long do you intend to eavesdrop?"

"Forgive me, Your Highness." An off-white horn came into view just beyond the doorway, followed by the dark-tan and white mane, framing crimson eyes. "I merely happened to be passing by and heard something interesting."

Celestia's eyes narrowed as she took in the form of her sister's majordomo. While she couldn't fault her sister's compassion for giving such a position to a stallion with his condition and lack of magic, there was still...something...something that had nothing to do with his condition...that rubbed her the wrong way. He had been present for the duel as well, though Celestia wasn't certain that Wight Shade had been there at Luna's behest.

As the stallion stepped into the room, the servants were not far behind him, coming to whisk away the remnants of the meal that she had shared with Twilight. "A private conversation between a princess and her student is something that should remain private."

"I apologize," said Wight, bowing low, "I shall forget everything I heard today."

"I sincerely doubt that," said Celestia, narrowing her eyes dangerously, "But since you are my sister's, I shall take you at your word. If you do not hold your tongue, I shall take the issue to Luna."

"I understand, Your Highness," said Wight, still bowed as he backed up to the door. There was no sign, in his voice or his manner, that indicated that he had taken offense at how Celestia had treated him. However, for some reason, that only unnerved the Princess all the more.

Once he was gone, Celestia let out a breath she didn't even know that she had been holding. "Honestly, where does my sister find these ponies?"


Twilight was not sure if she would ever see Arkenstone again. The way he had simply disappeared after the duel, the way he'd escaped the moment she'd taken her eyes off him, seemed to indicate that he didn't want her to. Now that she had a better understanding of what made the stallion tick, she figured that his sense of guilt would simply prompt him to disappear from her life and never show his face around her again.

So it was quite a surprise, though she wasn't sure whether it was a pleasant one or not, to find him waiting for her back at her parents' house, calmly reclining on some cushions in the library.

"I didn't think you would be here," she said.

"I did promise your brother that I would look after you," replied Arkenstone, "And, whatever else, we still have your practical lessons to finish once you get back to Ponyville."

Twilight laid down next to him, keeping a short distance between them as she studied the stallion intently. Arkenstone was a cypher to her. It sometimes felt as though she could never truly establish a connection with him. However, remembering what she had learned about him over the past few days, she vowed to try.

"Arkenstone," she said, "I think it's time you told me."

Arkenstone lifted his head and opened his eyes. Twilight had only known him to open his eyes as a sign that he was deadly serious. However, for the first time, it seemed that she had genuinely taken him by surprise.

"You still want to know?" he asked softly, "Even knowing the kind of pony that I am, what kind of secret it must be...you still want to know?"

Twilight nodded. The thought of what she was about to find out made her gut churn. However, she had resolved to see this through. "Yes...I...I don't think, whatever this secret of yours may be, that you should have to bear it alone." She lifted a hoof and gently laid it across one of Arkenstone's. "I promised you before that I might be afraid of things that you do, but I won't ever be afraid of you. I want you to hold me to that promise now."

"You want me to what?" Arkenstone would have been staring at her, had his eyes been working.

"I want you to hold me to that promise," said Twilight, staring intently into those featureless, sightless eyes, "The first time I made it, you didn't hold me to it. You couldn't believe that anypony could truly learn about you without being terrified of or disgusted with you. You never held me to that promise because you felt that it wouldn't be right, that it would be trying to make me not be afraid of you. But that isn't it!"

Twilight leaned in, careful to avoid prodding him with her horn, she gently pressed her head against Arkenstone's. "If you can hold me to my promise Arky, it means that you believe in me. I believe in you now. I want you to do the same for me. Is that too much to ask of a Knight...a little faith?"

"I..." Arkenstone tried to argue, but found that no words could leave his mouth. With a sigh, he sagged down in defeat. "Very well...I shall hold you to your promise Twilight Sparkle."

"Good," said Twilight, "Now tell me what happened with the changelings."

Arkenstone, took a deep breath and began to relate his tale to Twilight, telling her everything. Twilight's eyes widened as she listened to how Arkenstone had gone, unaided, into the heart of their territory and even straight into their lair. Her amazement turned into confusion when she learned about what Arkenstone had found there, then sadness at what he had realized, then horror when she learned the cause of it all.

"Shiny...Cadance..." She felt tears began to well up in her eyes. What will they think when they learn about this?

"They will never know," said Arkenstone softly, "As far as they are aware...as far as they will ever be aware, Queen Chrysalis refused to make peace with us and fought to the very last. I made sure of that much. You and I are now the only ones who carry this secret."

"How did she die?" asked Twilight, dreading the answer.

"Hard..."


If there was truly anything that Arkenstone could take away about Queen Chrysalis' character, it was that she was a loving mother, doting and fawning over her young to the very end...in a rather roundabout way as these things go. While the changeling drones had their own consciousness and awareness, it was Chrysalis' presence and will that held them together. Without her, they would be left without any drive to their life, no will to truly live. They would simply linger and die, suffering more from her absence than any torture that she could inflict on them throughout her own life.

That is why she made sure that they died first.

Perhaps her children were aware of that. Perhaps that is why they hurled themselves at the Knight with such abandon. Arkenstone didn't even flinch as the waves of attacking changelings broke over him like the waves of the ocean upon the rocky shore. Their bodies sheathed in the sickly-green flames of their magic, the changeling drones had transformed themselves into living missiles. The impact of their charge could shatter rock and stone, pulverizing it. If they impacted a being of flesh and blood...well it didn't bear thinking about.

Normally, the changelings aimed to take their victims alive. A dead pony could offer no love to feed off of after all. This technique had been used during the invasion as a means of getting the changeling forces to the ground before Canterlot's defenders could react. It also had the effect of scattering the ponies around them into a panic, making it difficult for an effective defense to be coordinated. However, they showed no such compunction this time. They hurled themselves straight for Arkenstone, intent on crushing him to a fleshy pulp.

They never touched him.

The changelings leading the charge were suddenly carved to pieces by blades moving so fast that their progress was impossible to track. Arkenstone's swords cut clean through the sheathes of magic, followed by the hardened carapaces of his enemies. Their bodies crashed to the ground, splashing ichor across the cavern floor.

And still, the changelings continued to throw themselves at him in droves, having lost all regard for their lives. They were doomed to die anyway. Even if they won this battle, the drain on the last of their magical reserves was sure to steal their lives away shortly afterwards.

And still, none of them reached Arkenstone. His blades whipped through the air with impossible speed, carving not only into the changelings themselves, but the cavern floors and walls. A few even launched straight upwards, impaling changelings against the ceiling and embedding themselves into the bases of the stalactites hanging down from above.

The ferocity of his defense might have seemed like more than was necessary. However, the omnipresent buzz of countless wings made it impossible for Arkenstone's ears to pick out the sounds of individuals. The entire cavern was suffused with their scent, which continued to thicken with each passing second, making tracking them through scent just as much of an impossibility. Furthermore, the drones refrained from keeping in contact with the cavern floors and walls, making it difficult to pin them down whenever they alighted on an earthen surface.

I'll have to hoof it to Chrysalis, thought Arkenstone ruefully, I never expected her to turn my greatest strengths against me so skillfully. It was clear that she wasn't merely powerful. Queen Chrysalis was a wily opponent who had once wormed her way into the heart of Canterlot itself. He should have known better than to think that this battle was going to be easy.

However, Arkenstone's skills were not to be scoffed at. Even with his senses hobbled, he wasn't a Knight for nothing. His blades worked furiously through defensive patterns that filled the air around him with razor edges, making sure that none of the charging changelings reached him. And his efforts were paying off. The buzzing was beginning to die down as the changeling numbers thinned. Soon, Arkenstone was beginning to be able to pick out the sounds of their individual approaches. The smell of freshly-spilt ichor served to provide a stench that helped isolate the scents of live changelings.

With the enemy numbers thinned, Arkenstone was able to rein in his efforts and focus on intercepting the attacking changelings individually, targeting them precisely. The speed and accuracy of his blades only seemed to increase with each passing moment. Before long, the drones would be gone and all that would be left was Chrysalis herself.

However, it seemed that the Queen had other plans. Arkenstone turned to face another barrage of changeling bullets, expecting to cut them down just as he had done with the previous waves. At the last second, his nose picked up the scent of ozone with a slightly different quality from what the drones were using. It was building up behind them and surging towards him, pressing directly through them as a massive blast of sickly-green fire engulfed them from behind and barreled directly down on Arkenstone. It seemed to consume the drones it burned, drawing their remaining energies into itself and building its strength as it threatened to immolate the stallion where he stood.

But Arkenstone had already taken action. One of his blades had already launched off, slashing through the base of a nearby stalagmite, severing it from the floor and sending the long, thin rock projection spinning straight into Arkenstone's outstretched foreleg. Curling his fetlock around the weapon, Arkenstone breathed deeply, drawing the magic of the earth itself into the stalagmite chunk as he raised it overhead. In less than a second, a massive sword, one at least five times as long as he was and wider than he was tall, was in its place. Arkenstone brought the sword down in a mighty slash that divided the fire ahead of him, splitting it so that it washed to either side of him. The intense heat made him sweat, but Arkenstone, pulled more magic into himself to withstand it.

The fire dwindled and faded. For a moment, a lull fell over the cavern. Arkenstone's ears and nose picked up the signs of at least a full two-dozen changelings still hovering about, as well as their Queen, who had not moved from her resting place, even to blast Arkenstone through her own children. Against any other opponent, such callous disregard for her own soldiers, much less her own offspring, would have been a detestable trait. But Chrysalis was not an ordinary foe, nor were these ordinary circumstances. Win or lose, nothing changed the fact that she and her brood would die soon. Their every attack, every spell, ever tongue of that pale-green flame only hastened that moment. In this situation, Chrysalis had nothing to gain by holding anything back, not her magic, nor the lives of her children.

Even the most mild-mannered creatures can turn vicious and dangerous when driven into a corner, their drive for survival pushing them to exert themselves in ways that would normally have been unthinkable, drawing upon reserves of strength heretofore unknown. The will to live was a terrifying and tenacious source of strength.

But this was not the will to live. Chrysalis and her brood were beyond merely fighting to survive. Not only were they drawing upon that hidden strength that only comes when one feels the need to survive, no matter what, but they were going further, drawing upon the strength that drew itself from their very lives, not caring if their bodies were broken or their bodies sapped of magic.

Queen Chrysalis and the changelings were not fighting to survive. They were fighting to die.

"You impress me, pony," hissed Chrysalis, her voice cracking with obvious strain. Arkenstone idly wondered how much of her remaining time she had used with that last attack...Hours?...Days? And how much time did she have left? Even if she won, would she even last the day once this was over?

Chrysalis continued. "You didn't even flinch at that last one. I half-expected you to fly into a rage."

"You're a canny one," replied Arkenstone, "But I am well aware of your circumstances, even before we began this battle, since you were kind enough to inform me of them yourself. I will not shed tears nor bring myself to anger for that which is already dead."

Chrysalis snorted derisively. "I can smell the lie on you pony. You may not be angry at me, but you are indeed saddened. You can't hide emotions from us."

"I suppose not," admitted Arkenstone with a shrug, "I will mourn your passing. This is not something that should have happened. I only wish that we could have met under different circumstances."

"I do not," replied Chrysalis, "You are the one who proposed this. Play the cards you have dealt yourself or simply stand and let me kill you. Either way, it matters not to me."

"So be it," replied Arkenstone.

Pulling his foreleg back, he hurled the massive sword straight at Chrysalis. The changeling queen responded with a blast of magic, but the tip and edge of the flying blade punched right through it. Her wings buzzed and she leapt off her seat, dodging to the side as the massive sword soared right by her, embedding itself into the wall, causing the stone to shatter, scattering small chunks of rock all across the cavern floor.

At the same time, Arkenstone unleashed several of his smaller blades in multiple directions. The blades flew past the hovering drones and embedded themselves in the columns scattered around the cave. The stone pillars shattered under the force of impact, sending rocky shrapnel flying about. Such small rocks, even at the rather impressive velocity they were moving, wouldn't have even made a dent in a changeling's carapace. However, as the bug-like creatures focused their attention on Arkenstone, he drew in a breath, seeming to lose himself in a particular scent. The shards of rock crackled with energy and became swords themselves, still flying at incredible velocity, but now both larger and sharper. The changelings hovering around those columns were cut to ribbons in an instant. The vast majority of the remaining changelings lost their lives at that moment. The blades went on to crash into walls, stalagmites, and the cavern floor, sending more debris flying across the chamber and throwing up clouds of dust that made Arkenstone cough as he fought to clear his throat.

"It's certainly quite dusty in here," he murmured softly.

"I see," observed Chrysalis from her new location, "Very interesting. Your magic is not all that dissimilar to my own."

"I noticed that as well," agreed Arkenstone, "It seems that we are both adept at using scent as a channel for control and power to alter form."

Carefully attuning his senses, Arkenstone picked out the sounds of six more drones, plus the Queen herself. Five of the drones abruptly launched themselves at him once more. Arkenstone hardly even flicked an ear as more blades seemed to appear out of thin air and intercepted all five of the drones as they closed with him.

However, in the moment he'd countered their attack, something had changed. He no longer sensed Queen Chrysalis. Instead, someone else was in the cave, someone...no...somepony familiar.

"Arkenstone..."

The stallion froze, his ears flicking in confusion at the familiar voice. There was no question as to what he had heard.

It was Cadance. She was standing right in front of him in a changeling stronghold.

His rational mind easily decoded the situation. Shapeshifting was a changeling's primary ability. Queen Chrysalis had already transformed into Cadance before, in order to infiltrate Canterlot. The Cadance before him was, in fact, Chrysalis. The logic of the situation was absurd. There was no way that the real Cadance would be here, in the depths of the badlands. There was no way Arkenstone wouldn't have noticed the disappearance of Chrysalis' presence at the same instant Cadance's appeared.

However, Queen Chrysalis' transformation went beyond something that could be reasoned away by logic. At the moment of her shift, she truly became Cadance to Arkenstone's senses. Her scent, her voice, even her presence itself, all transformed. The impression was so powerful that, even though Arkenstone's conscious mind quickly pierced the veil of the illusion, his subconscious shuddered at the thought of him leveling a blade at a close friend. The sword poised to bite into Chrysalis' flesh faltered for a second.

Even though he couldn't see her, Arkenstone knew that the fake Cadance's lips had just curled into a smile...just as the final changeling drone launched itself at the stallion from the left.

Responding instantly to the attack, Arkenstone whirled his blade around, the weapon practically vanishing as it accelerated, cleaving through the drone easily. However, even as he did so, Arkenstone could smell the building ozone as Chrysalis charged another attack through her horn, one even more powerful than the last, as she shed her disguise like a molted exoskeleton.

The blast of magical flame rushed at the stallion, who now was in no position to intercept the attack with a large blade, like he had the last time. Now, out of position, with only the dust around him to look to, Arkenstone could only wait as the blast rushed to engulf him.

The explosion sent tremors throughout the entire network of the hive. Cracks, already created by the impacts of Arkenstone's blades, widened and opened as the network of caves and caverns shuddered. Any more strain, and the caves and tunnels would collapse. It didn't matter. There was nothing left to bury within the caverns. Chrysalis had no need to worry about the structural integrity of her hive any longer.

"That was certainly close."

Arkenstone could hear the agitated buzz of Chrysalis' wings as the smoke began to disperse. He could smell her shock when she saw the large shield that Arkenstone now held between himself and the attack.

The Queen's jaw dropped. "You...the dust-"

"Was not as much of a hinderance as you supposed," replied Arkenstone casually, allowing his shield to crumble away, "Scent is composed of particles after all. All my magic does is connect those particles into a chain, forming a link and then serving as a channel for my power. Dust is simply a mass of such particles. Connecting them and drawing them together and crafting a form from them is an easy process. You could call it the most powerful tool in my arsenal."

Chrysalis clicked her tongue in agitation. "I was certain I had you that time," she hissed.

"I must commend you on your strategy," commented Arkenstone, earnestly enough, "Were you building towards that moment over the course of this entire battle?"

Chrysalis said nothing.

"Repetitive attacks to induce complacency..." continued Arkenstone, "And trying to overwhelm me with force of numbers from all sides in order to scatter my focus... You launched your first attack earlier in order to gauge my response to determine how much of an opening you needed. Then, attacking with your final drones, you waited until the right instant, when I had just finished intercepting their attacks to make your transformation. At that instant, my psyche was sufficiently vulnerable that I was caught off-guard by your trick, my subconscious reaction being enough to make me hesitate, which you exploited by having your final drone attack. My delayed response left enough of an opening for you to strike without me being in position to defend the way I had before.

"You made only two errors. The first was your assumption that, since I primarily navigate by smell, the dust would impair my senses enough to hinder any attempt to block or intercept your attack. The second was that I only had one means of defending against a blow of that caliber. Aside from that, your strategy was magnificent. I haven't had to resort to creating a shield in a long time."

Chrysalis spat at his hooves. "Spare me your praise," she growled, "To think that a mere earth pony would best me, here in the heart of my power...Me! The one who once had Princess Celestia at her mercy!"

"It is because I am an earth pony that I can fight so well here," replied Arkenstone, "These caverns may be your hive and home. But here, in the depths of the earth itself, my strength could not be greater."

"Enough chit-chat," said Chrysalis, "It is time to bring this to an end."

"Very well." Arkenstone shook his head. "You have no more drones. Now it is down to the two of us...and however much power you have remaining."

"I have more than enough for you!" snapped Chrysalis, more magic gathering at the tip of her horn, "It doesn't matter what barriers you create. I will simply call upon the power to smash them back into the dust from which you conjured them."

"That won't be necessary," replied Arkenstone calmly, "You aren't the only one who has been laying a strategy since the beginning of this battle."

Once again, he drew in a deep breath, as though savoring a particular scent. Chrysalis practically felt the magic spilling out from the stallion, spreading in a wave across the floor of the cavern. She stepped back...and paused as her hooves brushed over the the small stones and other rubble strewn across the floor by his previous attacks. "You!"

"Indeed," agreed Arkenstone, releasing his breath. Chrysalis felt the ground around her practically crackling with power as Arkenstone's magic went to work. "The scent I use is a channel for my power. With my attacks, I was spreading my scent across the cave, opening channels for my power. Anything I can smell becomes a blade at my will."

Chrysalis looked down and jumped as blades sprung upwards, a thicket of razor edges lancing upward in an instant. If she took to the air now, she would merely make herself a target for Arkenstone's flying swords. However, her keen senses told her that Arkenstone's power was not perfect, the spread was uneven and there were spaces between the blades, which she was able to slip into. With a simple sidestep, she was able to escape the upward thrust of the Knight's swords, allowing her to escape injury. Even better, his blades were now serving as her cover, allowing her to build up and unleash her magical attack.

"You're a fool if you think that would be enough!" she shouted triumphantly, lifting her horn and preparing to hurtle her next spell.

"I would be indeed," agreed Arkenstone, "However, I am not finished."

The Queen's ears twitched as she heard a low crumbling noise from above. Looking up, Chrysalis' eyes widened in surprise. Countless stalactites had broken free of the cavern ceiling, having been neatly severed at their bases. As they plummeted, the thin spikes of stone transformed into giant swords. The magic gathering around Chrysalis' horn faded and dispersed. It was over. She had lost. There was no reason to fight any longer.

The blades from above met the blades from below, meshing together like the teeth of a trap, leaving no opening for escape. Chrysalis made no sound, not even a hiss or grunt of pain as the blades pierced her exoskeleton in over a dozen places. Though her strength had left her, she could not fall, as the numerous swords now run through her body propped her up. In the nearly deafening silence that fell after the final blow had been delivered, a single clattering noise echoed as the changeling queen's severed horn dropped to the ground.

Arkenstone took a step. The moment his hoof touched back down on the ground, the blades crumbled away, leaving the stones that they had once been clattering about in their wake. He stepped forward as Chrysalis, now no longer suspended upright, slumped to the ground, unable to even lift her head to regard her executioner.

"How do you feel?" asked Arkenstone softly.

Chrysalis snorted. "I hate to admit that a pony was right, but you were. It irritates me that, even drained and weakened as I was, I wasn't able to leave a mark on you. But at least my children won't have to suffer any longer."

"Nor you," replied Arkenstone, "I am sorry that it came to this."

"I am not," replied Chrysalis coldly, "You ponies are nothing but food to us. It is just as well that you found me when you did. We do not reason with food. You do not establish relationships with your prey. You do not make friends with that which you are meant to consume."

"I would have made arguments to the contrary," said Arkenstone, "But it is all meaningless now."

Chrysalis chuckled, the sound becoming a low gurgle. "So it is," she replied, "It's getting dark now."

"Close your eyes," said Arkenstone, his voice gentle, his tone soothing, "Rest. Your time is done."

"Tell me one last thing, pony," said Chrysalis, "Will we be remembered?"

"In the end, probably not," admitted the beige stallion, "Nothing lingers in this world forever, not even memory. But it will most likely be a long time before you are forgotten. I think Princess Celestia, of all ponies, will remember you for a long time. You made quite an impression on her after all."

That drew a weak laugh from the fading Chrysalis. "I suppose I did. I won't thank you for it, pony. But I suppose, as endings go, this one wasn't quite so bad."

"No...it wasn't," said Arkenstone.

Chrysalis' eyes closed. Her presence faded completely. Her body lost all semblance of life and all that remained was an empty husk, still oozing ichor. Arkenstone sighed softly. Sniffing carefully, he let his ears guide his hooves to the spot where he had heard her horn fall before. Lowering his head, Arkenstone gripped the jagged piece of chitin in his teeth, trying his best not to grimace at the nasty taste and smell. Turning about, he hid the gruesome trophy inside the hairs of his tail.

The task done, the stallion's ears turned upward as he heard a low rumble from above. The battle had taken its toll on the structural integrity of the cave. Now, Chrysalis' lair was on the verge of collapse, the damage to the walls and ceiling having fractured the rock above, and threatening to send the ceiling crumbling down.

Despite the precarious situation, there was no haste in Arkenstone's motions as he turned and picked his way through the remains of the fallen changelings, making his way towards the cavern exit. Reaching the edge of the cavern, he flicked his tail sharply. Two blades seemed to materialize out of thin air, rushing towards the ceiling and wedging themselves into the slowly widening cracks above. The sound of breaking stone filled the air, followed by an earthshaking rumble as the cavern caved in, burying Chrsyalis and the last of her changeling horde forever.

"Farewell, oh mighty queen," said Arkenstone, "I shall keep your fate in my memories until the day I pass from this world. When that happens, that secret shall pass with me. I suppose, ponies will only ever remember you for the evils you visited upon them. But I think you prefer it that way."

His "quest" complete, the not-so-gallant Knight made his way through the labyrinth of tunnels leading to the surface.


Arkenstone could hear the small sounds of Twilight's tears splashing down on the library floor as he finished his tale. "Twilight?"

"Th-that's so sad," she whispered. The truth seemed unfathomable. Queen Chrysalis had imprisoned Cadance, brainwashed Shining Armor, locked Twilight down in the caverns beneath the Palace, and had led her changeling horde in an invasion of Canterlot, looking to prey upon Equestria's ponies without mercy...

...But Twilight would have never suggested that, at any point, such actions would have warranted the complete extermination of her people. Yes, the changelings had done a great deal of damage. Yes, they needed to be dealt with, just like any other threat would be. But not like this.

"They're gone," she said, "They're all gone." An entire race, with who knew how many centuries, or even millennia of history and culture, wiped away, leaving nothing behind.

She looked at Arkenstone, wondering what she would feel, now that she knew the part he had played in bringing this about. She wasn't certain what she felt. She couldn't even put a name to the emotions that churned in her gut. Even Arkenstone couldn't be held responsible for what had happened. After all, the final blow had ultimately been struck that day in Canterlot...and by none other than her brother and her sister-in-law. Shining Armor and Cadance's wave of magic repelling the changelings from the city doomed Chrysalis and her kin to a drawn-out, lingering death as they starved, unable to feed on their sole source of sustenance.

Perhaps the worst thing about all of this was that nopony had meant for it to end this way. Shining Armor and Cadance had not intended to sentence the changelings to extinction with their magic. Arkenstone had gone to them hoping to build peaceful relations.

"Do you see now?"

Twilight flinched at Arkenstone's question.

"This is the truth about what it means to be a Knight," continued the stallion, "It means washing blood away with even more blood. We create mountains of corpses through our work. In order to keep Equestria safe, we must either turn away her enemies...or bury them. I have buried many...many enemies. I slaughtered the remaining changelings, exterminated them. Do you see what kind of pony I am?"

"Arky..." Twilight felt herself beginning to cry again, this time for different reasons.

"Princess Celestia doesn't know," said Arkenstone, "Like Shining and Cadance, all she knows is that Chrysalis refused to negotiate and instead chose to fight to the death. You and I are the only ones who know the fate of the changelings. If I could only ask one thing of you, it would be that you keep this to yourself. Nopony else must know of what happened, especially the role your brother and his wife played."

Twilight nodded silently, silently making an oath to herself far more binding than any Pinkie Promise she had ever made. She would never speak of what she had heard today with anypony, not her family, not even her closest friends. She would carry that silence to the grave with her.

Arkenstone swallowed and turned his head away from Twilight. "I understand that you probably don't want to be with me now. I can understand..."

Something in Twilight Sparkle's head snapped that moment. Her tears and sadness vanished in the blink of an eye, only to be replaced by something else...anger.

"I...I'll go," said Arkenstone, rising to his hooves, "I'll let your brother know I shouldn't be around you anymore. I-"

He was cut off sharply be a blow from Twilight's forehoof to the top of his head. The stallion reared back with a grunt, falling onto his haunches as his own forehooves went to his throbbing skull. In that moment, Twilight was on him, pounding against his chest with all her might.

"YOU JERK!" she screamed, "YOU UNBELIEVABLE JERK!"

Though the force behind her strikes was insubstantial, Arkenstone shuddered with each punch, realizing how much she must hate and fear him now. He resigned himself to riding out her outburst before he could leave. However, he was caught off guard when the onslaught of blows stopped, followed by Twilight throwing her arms around him and hugging him tightly, burying her face into his shoulder. Hot tears began to mat the fur of his coat.

"What about what you said before you told me?" demanded Twilight angrily, her words causing Arkenstone to freeze in place, "You didn't hold me to my promise. You promised to believe in me! What happened to your faith?"

"I..." Arkenstone couldn't say anything.

"Were they just words to you Arkenstone? Did you just say them because you felt that's what would make me happy?" Twilight lifted her head up and stared straight on at Arkenstone, not caring that he couldn't actually see her. "Why don't you believe in me?"

"I...I just didn't want to force you..."

"You're not forcing me to do anything!" snapped Twilight, her words causing the stallion's mouth to shut with an audible clack of teeth, "I chose to believe in you. I chose to make that promise, to not be afraid of you, no matter what you might have done! Do you understand? That. Was. My. Choice!"

"But why would you...why would you choose that?" asked Arkenstone, "Knowing the pain I've brought to others, knowing the kind of pony that I am..."

"Why?" growled Twilight, "I'll show you why!"

Without any further warning, she leaned forward and pressed her lips hard against Arkenstone's own. The beige stallion moved to pull away from the kiss, but Twilight's arms tightened, holding him in place and keeping their lips connected as she poured all of her feelings into that single, simple gesture. Slowly, Arkenstone's muscles relaxed. Finally, he leaned back against Twilight, lifting his own arms to return her embrace and pull her closer still. The two of them clung tightly to each other, their lips still connected.

Slowly, the two of them pulled away. Arkenstone's eyes opened again. Twilight didn't hesitate to meet his sightless gaze. Tears still ran down her cheeks. But now, she had a small smile in place, a happy, relieved smile. "Because I love you," she said.

"Thank you," whispered Arkenstone, tears of his own beginning to run out of his eyes, "I don't deserve this, but thank you."

He flinched when Twilight's hoof bounced off his chest again. "Stop that right now mister," she chided him sharply, "This isn't about you deserving or not deserving anything. What I feel has nothing to do with what you deserve."

She leaned forward and pressed her neck against Arkenstone's, turning her head so that it rested across his withers. The stallion's soft breath stirred her coat as he returned the gesture.

"Arky, you are so strong," said Twilight, "But that doesn't mean you should try to do everything..to take everything on by yourself.

"It's not just me. Celestia, Shining, Cadance...Blueblood; they all want to help you, to hold you up, to see you be happy. And, no matter how much you think you deserve to be punished for what you did, I know you want to be happy too."

"I'm not all that strong," protested Arkenstone weakly, "You are so much stronger than I am Twilight." His hold on her tightened. "Would your really have me in your life?"

"Yes," said Twilight, gently rubbing her neck against his.

"Thank you," he said softly, pulling back away from her slightly. When Twilight looked up at him in confusion, Arkenstone smiled. This time, he was the one to kiss her.

The two of them melted against each other and, for the remainder of that day, nothing was said between them.


Only when it was time for them to turn in for the night did Twilight finally decide to speak again as she rested up against her special somepony, a book balanced across her forelegs as she savored the feeling of his head resting over hers. After the kiss, they had simply spent the hours curled together, saying nothing. Twilight had taken up a book and started reading, occasionally pausing to exchange further gestures of affection with Arkenstone, but, for the most part, simply basking in the feeling of their newfound closeness.

"Let's go home," she said, "Let's go home tomorrow."

"What about your research?" asked Arkenstone.

"I have enough to start," said Twilight, "But I've had enough of Canterlot for now. Right now, I just want to go home and be with my friends and you." She extracted her head out from under his and planted a kiss on his cheek. "Let's go back. I want to see you realize that little dream of yours too, you know. You shouldn't put off opening your shop any longer."

"Alright," said Arkenstone softly, "Let's go home."

The stallion's ear twitched as he picked up the sound of two ponies outside the Sparkle Family Library, namely, the other two members of Twilight's family who were in the house. He'd known that Twilight's parents had been watching them for some time, though not, thankfully, during that time he had spent telling Twilight the story of what really happened to Chrysalis. Though he knew better than to take things too far, particularly since he and Twilight had only just become a couple (officially, he supposed), he was happy to have some chaperones, just in case.

As it was, the two of them only seemed to be happy that their daughter had found their special somepony, though Arkenstone noted that Twilight's father seemed particularly, gleeful, probably anticipating the opportunity to tease his daughter mercilessly. Arkenstone briefly indulged the thought of warning Twilight's father off, but then remembered that her flustered state was particularly adorable and decided to keep his own counsel.


As it turned out, Night Light did not make very much headway in teasing his daughter before he found himself spending dinner in timeout...by way of being transmogrified into a potted cactus for the duration the meal. After dinner was finished, Twilight turned him back and extracted a promise from her father to keep from anymore ribbings, lest he wanted to spend the remainder of the night in that state.

As it was, the two of them were waiting at the platform when their ears picked up the sound of approaching hooves. Twilight looked up and gasped to see the familiar form of Arcana making his way through the small crowd of ponies on the platform, his tall, slender stature making him stand out from the other ponies waiting for the next train.. Surprisingly, he looked slightly winded, as though he had been running for a good distance.

"You can certainly be impulsive when you want to," chided Arcana as he came to within hailing distance of them, "I'm lucky your parents were willing to tell me where you went when I came calling at your house."

"Did you want something?" asked Twilight curtly. She might have been able to tolerate Arcana, but his personality was like rubbing up against coarse sandpaper to her.

Her attitude only drew a chuckle from the effeminate stallion. His horn glittered, releasing a few motes of light as he hefted the satchel he had been wearing over one shoulder before passing it to Twilight.

"What's this?" she asked, taking the item in her own magic.

"A gift for you you and your friends," replied Arcana, "Call it something halfway between a thank you and an apology for having to deal with Trixie's antics."

"How is she?" asked Twilight nervously.

"Doing much better," replied Arcana, "In a month or so, once she's recovered and we've built up our fat reserves, she'll accompany me north once again."

"So she's still being punished?"

"No. She's 'served her sentence,' so to speak. Her punishment was over when she returned to Canterlot with me." Arcana gave Twilight the first truly genuine smile she had ever seen him wear. "In fact, she was the one who asked me if she could come north with me."

Twilight stared at the satchel hovering in front of her, momentarily dumbfounded. I can't believe that Trixie would ask for something like that.

"In any case," said Arcana, "That bag contains something I discovered up in the north. Unfortunately, none of the ponies in any of the settlements up there had much use for something like that, nor the skill to make much use of something like that. So I thought you and your friends might better appreciate it. I understand one of your friends is a gifted farmer."

Twilight looked up at Arcana before turning her attention back to the satchel and opening it. Her eyes widened and she looked inside. Inside sat over a dozen mid-sized apples, their skin a pure, pristine white, like a field of fresh, newly fallen snow.

"Are these...?" she asked, gaping up at Arcana.

The stallion nodded. "They are. I figured that you and your friends might be clever enough to make use of them."

Twilight gulped and once again looked inside the bag. "That might take a while. I hope these keep."

"You needn't worry," said Arcana, looking unquestionably smug, "My stasis spell is nearly perfect. Those apples will keep for a full three years before it loses its potency."

"Really?" Twilight practically squealed...right before shoving her head snout first into the bag, so that only her horn protruded out. Arcana looked on, nonplussed, while Arkenstone chuckled at his fillyfriend's behavior.

The beige stallion's ear flicked as his picked up a distant whistle. His nose was already beginning to sample the acrid scent of smoke that preceded the train's arrival. Their ride was here.

Twilight's head still hadn't budged from within the bag as she continued to rummage around. Arcana raised a curious eyebrow as the train pulled ponderously up to the platform with a loud squeal of brakes as they labored to stop the multi-ton behemoth. The car doors opened and its passengers were beginning to disembark. However, Twilight still seemed to make no attempt to extract her head from the bag, nor did Arkenstone seem inclined to make her do so.

Then, just as the boarding was about to begin, Twilight's horn flickered once...twice...three times. It was Arcana's turn to widen his eyes as he watched the spell matrix she was constructing take form. Twilight withdrew her head from the bag and smiled widely at the flummoxed stallion. "That's an amazing spell," she said cheerfully, "I can't believe you were able to come up with something like that. I would have never thought of using True Ice magic to induce a complete temporal suspension."

Arcana's jaw nearly unhinged itself as he listened to Twilight dissect the principles of the stasis spell he'd once spent over six months developing.

"Thank you so much," finished Twilight as she closed the satchel and stood, slinging it over her shoulder so that it rested next to her saddlebags, "I'll be sure to share this with all my friends. I'm really looking forward to it."

Still gaping, Arcana merely nodded, unable to say anything.

"Well, goodbye for now, I guess," continued Twilight, who was already making her way to the train, "Say goodbye to Trixie for me. Oh, and make sure you treat her nice this time around." And then she was gone, disappearing through the doors of the nearest car.

"You're going to catch a lot of flies," commented Arkenstone wryly as he trotted past the stunned unicorn. When Arcana made no move to heed his words, Arkenstone merely snorted before turning and following Twilight onto the train.

Arcana stared as the train pulled away from the platform. Only when it was gone from the station and dwindling into the distance was he able to think coherently enough to actually speak. "My spell...she...how did she just...?" She completely deduced the nature of my spell and reconstructed it herself in a matter of minutes after I spent the better part of a year creating it.

Finally mastering his shock, Arcana shook his head and found himself smiling. "She's not Princess Celestia's prize student for nothing.”


“Do you have your lunch?”

“Yes mom.”

Melon Cream struggled to not chuckle at the almost petulant tone Scootaloo was using as the filly edged toward the door. A few months ago, it would have been the height of improbability to see a hint of her fuchsia mane until the last possible minute before breakfast. Oh how things have changed, thought Melon wryly, glancing over to see the sun just barely breaking the horizon and Scootaloo waiting by the door, fully awake and ready to go. Of all the seemingly impossible and amazing things Dawn Lightwing had accomplished since coming to Ponyville, the one thing that always amazed Melon the most was the fact that he had somehow turned Melon’s daughter into a morning pony.

“I’ve got my lunch. Where are my saddlebags?” Scootaloo looked around in confusion, the paper bag holding the lunch Melon had packed for her dangling from her raised foreleg. “I know I set them by the door last night.”

“Sorry about that,” said Melon, “I took them. I wanted to make it a surprise for you, but Rarity couldn’t get them ready in time for your cuteceñera.”

“Get what ready?” as Scootaloo, a suspicious tone creeping into her voice.

“These,” said Melon, pulling a fully-loaded pair of saddlebags out of the closet, where she’d hidden them.

Scootaloo’s eyes widened. Her old pair of saddlebags had been fine; a little worn from years of use, but still perfectly serviceable. She’d never had any problems with them and didn’t feel a pressing need to get them replaced or to buy the newest ones the way Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon almost always seemed to. Under normal circumstances, she would have wondered why her mother felt the need to buy her new ones. However, that question faded in the face of one important detail. The bag’s clasp was decorated with a white swan, its neck arched and wings half-raised, a perfect representation of her brand new cutie mark.

“Do you like them?” asked Melon softly.

Tears began to leak from Scootaloo’s eyes, though she acted quickly to wipe them before she could come off as too mushy. “I love them.” After taking the bags and strapping them onto her back, Scootaloo turned and showed them off to her mother. “How do I look?”

“Perfect,” said Melon, wiping her own eyes.

Scootaloo looked as though she was about to head out the door. However, she abruptly turned and threw her arms around Melon’s neck. Hugging her close. “I love you mom.”

Melon hugged her daughter back. “I love you too.” She planted a soft kiss on Scootaloo’s forehead. “Now off with you. You don’t want to keep Dawn waiting. Have a wonderful day.”

The filly released her and bolted for the door. “Bye mom!” called Scootaloo, waving as she bounded out and spread her wings, her body already lifting off the ground before she had finished the upstroke. A single, powerful downwards flap was enough to send her rocketing off into the blue, heading in the direction of Fluttershy’s cottage.

Melon sniffled as she watched Scootaloo dwindle to a speck in the distance. Shutting the door, Melon went into her bedroom. Opening a drawer, she pulled out a small, framed picture, one of the few reminders she had taken from their old home. The picture was of a hospital room, with three ponies. Melon was lying in the bed, gazing lovingly down at the tiny bundle cradled in her arms. The only features of an infant Scootaloo that were visible in the picture was her bright-orange face and a wisp of her fuchsia mane. Sitting beside the bed was a stallion with a rust-red coat and an ice-blue mane. He was trying his hardest to keep a stern face, but Melon could see it cracking under the weight of the blessed event. He was her husband, Scootaloo’s father, and, in spite of everything he had done, somepony that Melon still loved dearly.

“Cirrus,” she whispered, “I wish you could see what a wonderful mare your daughter is growing into. She never needed your expectations, your control. She was never going to be a failure. I wish you could have seen that.”


Scootaloo dipped down as soon as her eyes picked out the familiar sight of the cottage standing just a short distance from the boundary of the Everfree Forest. Her already jubilant smile widened when she saw the familiar jet-black shape of Dawn, standing patiently in the front yard, waiting for her. Swooping in, Scootaloo backwinged and settled onto the ground at a light canter, her steps eating up the last of her forward momentum. She took a second to revel in how natural it felt. Flying was second nature to her now, something she could do effortlessly and easily. To think, just a few months ago, she could barely lift off the ground while buzzing her wings as fast as they could go.

“Good morning,” said Dawn, trying his hardest to be all business. However, the upward curling at the corners of his mouth betrayed the fact that he was happy to see her.

“Hey,” said Scootaloo with a wave, “Check this out.” She turned to show off her new saddlebags and the cutie mark clasp mounted on them.

Dawn stopped trying to conceal his smile when he saw the image of the busking swan. “Congratulations.” He turned his eyes to meet Scootaloo’s. “Are you ready?”

Scootaloo nodded and sat down to slide the saddlebags off her back. Trotting over, she settled in next to Dawn, taking the starting stance and spreading her wings as Dawn did the same. “Let’s do this.”

The two of them went into motion, going through the steps of the First Form in near perfect unison as their individual rhythms began to blend together to create a new one. Scootaloo smiled and let her conscious thoughts ebb away, casting one last sidelong glance at the colt next to her before turning to focus on her own work.

Dawn was here. Scootaloo was here. Their friends and families were waiting for them with open arms. No matter how difficult things might get in the future, Scootaloo knew that they would face those difficulties together. No matter what the future might hold, everything would be alright.

Fin

Author's Note:

And so, Story 4 comes to a conclusion. I only just added the ending scenes with Scootaloo, Melon, and Dawn. Originally, this chapter ended with Twilight and Arkenstone heading home, as I wasn't certain exactly where I was going to end Story 4. As it turned out, the next chapter (keep in mind that these are all lumped together in a single document on my computer) struck me as being the perfect place to start with Story 5, so I added those ending scenes to make this chapter a more definitive conclusion.

I hope Arkenstone's battle with Chrysalis was suitably epic enough to make up for the very...short...duel from last chapter. I also hopes that it makes sense for Arkenstone to be so upset over what happened, seeing as he essentially committed genocide to keep Shining Armor and Cadance from being the responsible parties (overall responsibility obviously being a debatable point, since the changelings were going to die off anyway, but not a point that Arkenstone will ever be willing to debate).

I keep getting weirded out whenever I have to take time out of a narrative to specifically point out that, no, these characters have not had sex yet. I suppose that it's mostly my fault for ending the preceding scene with could have easily been construed as a Sexy Discretion Shot. I'm hoping to avoid getting a whole bunch of "Well, that escalated quickly," quips in the comments, though I'll probably get plenty of those anyway.

As I warned in the previous chapter, expect it to be a little while before I feel ready to start posting Story 5 of the series. Progress is a little slow as I've been struggling with some of the conflict. We'll be seeing more of the Cult Solar in the future, albeit in a way you might not expect. Also, just because Twilight has gone back to Ponyville doesn't mean the Noble Court is done with her. Stay tuned for my Story 5 Followup.

Comments ( 115 )

The Love Boat for Arkenstone and Twilight has set sail!
But now... The Noble Court, are they in league with the Cult Solar or using them...

especially the roll your brother and his wife played

So when did they become bread?:rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:
I believe you meant 'role' here?

So... turns out Arkenstone isn't just a hard ass, he actually cares. Still, took Twilight long enough to act.

So, Wight Shade is doing suspicious things again? Either he is part of that dumb cult, is actually Morning Star... or Luna has formed something of her own, on order to route out and destroy the colt... all without Celestia knowing.

I wish there was more repercussions to the duel, like a few nobles trying to 'teach Arky a lesson'. What would be even better... if one of those colts from when he got his mark was Steel Flint.

Oh well, a good way to end this, and you have certainly left a few plot points for the next instalment, which I shall eagerly await.

So how many more stories are there left? From you note it doesn't sound like number 5 is going to be the end.

I'm really liking your stories. Makes me wish your stories was turned into a comic for a proper fan video. The battles, physical and emotional, are just :pinkiehappy: I'm going to be on edge waiting for your next story.

Well Arken is a certified badass, and as before I patiently wait till the next story.

I realized finally, you care more about how you begin stories rather than how you end them. Either way, well done, i am looking forward to the next installment with baited anticipation

I should know better than to ask a question whit an answer i dread but... How much is "a little while"? I dont expect you to know the day it will be ready, but maybe you could tell us how many weeks or (Hope not, but I understand) months, more or less?

2 things real quick
1: that bit with arcana and twilight at the train station had me rolling for a good 5 minutes.
2: so arky's main weapon is earth hardened into blades and he has only been forced to make a shield a few times......what kind of shit will he have to be in for him to make himself some armor!?!


P.S. well, that escalated quickly :ajsmug:

The arc has come to an end at last
Just what is Wight Shade's past?
Suspicion of him has found me

The its probably red herring
Though you could also be scaring
I can't wait for book number 5.

The hiatus will be torture
And to my curiosity, become a scorcher
But quality is worth the wait

So for now I sign off
with a gentleman's hat doff
And wait for the next book.

-Black Sun Eclipse:moustache:

And so it ends. This story was quite the enjoyable read. Next story is where things will get difficult for all parties involved I am sure. Scootaloo is in training and just leveled up, Dawn is in training, Rumble is in training, and even Twilight is in training. If the Ponyville posse is to survive the Noble Court's and Cult Solar's next moves I have a feeling that all of their strength will be needed and put to the test. Things are looking up now, but darkness is on the horizon. Will the light of new-found love uphold harmony, or will they succumb to darkness? Only time will tell.:moustache::scootangel::pinkiesmile:

The smell of freshly-spilt ichor served to provide a stench that helped isolated the scents of live changelings.

Opening a drawer, she pulled out a small, framed picture, one of the few reminder she had taken from their old home.

Sorry, spotting little technical mistakes like this are kind of a reflex for me. I can tell you that I only take the time to point them out on stories I really, really like, and I can't wait to see story 5 when you're ready to post it!

but Twilight's arms tightened

I think you mean forelegs here, unless I'm mistaken. In that case, ignore me. I know pretty much nothing about pony anatomy.

"I'm not all that strong,"
To do all that you've done, and not break down? You're plenty strong Arkenstone, stronger than most.

"My spell...she...how did she just...?"

"She's not Princess Celestia's prize student for nothing.”

Twilight, Knight of the Sparkling Magic. You all know she's strong enough for it.

i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/353/279/e31.jpg
Just because you said it.


So when is S.S. ScootaDawn setting sail?

Can't wait for story 5!
Such a good conclusion
Please don't keep us waiting to long!

3766801 im thinking we call them arclight

Did we just witness his remnant? Because i am not Sure if he used it or not

That whole thing with Chrysalis was fucking sad:pinkiesad2::pinkiesad2::pinkiesad2::pinkiesad2:

Me when I realized this was the last chapter:

I wants MOAR!!!

Damn, it's that awkward time between books again.

I must say, it's been a pleasure that's slowly been getting more and more refined reading this, and I can hardly wait for the next installment. It's pretty odd when I look back and remember that the story started with what I originally thought was a terrible premise that became something so great. now it's hard to think of it in any other way than a full blown epic. keep up the good work. this story is worth waiting for.

I wish I could favorite this again... and again... and even again! It's just too darn good! I'll be squirming in my seat waiting for book five :)

Just out of curiosity, what is the total word count of what you've written compared to the expected word count upon completion of this glorious series?

Sigh the end of another excellent story always a bitter sweet time, still great work on no only the chapter but the story as a whole. I look forward to you're next story.

3767699 But aren't you worried that if we start calling them Arclight that Dead pool might come after them? :scootangel:

Great way to end a great story. Looking forward to part 5!

3768532 you say that like its a bad thing wouldn't deadpool vs Arkenstone be an awsome fight

This saga is frekin epic:rainbowkiss:
And the universe building is soo good:pinkiehappy:

How about a finishing comment filled with thank-yous:

That fight with Chrysalis, I don't think I've teared up that much since Fallout: Equestria. Not quite as much as I did then, mind you, but the feeling was the same. Thank you for making me remember that. Also, that moment with Scootaloo's mom... You opened me up and turned me inside out with the emotions of this chapter and I feel bad knowing that more people on this site aren't following the series. This stuff needs to be spread around more.

Twilight and Arkenstone's moments together were beautiful. You have kept the romance in this fic tasteful, tender, and real. It feels so much better when romance isn't overdone and we can just relax and take it seriously. Thank you x 2.

You have continued to be distinctively professional in your update schedule and I have always found myself eager to pause my day for the next chapter. Thank you for bringing one more bright spot into my day. Take your time getting story 5 the way you want it and you can expect our support.

So I guess Twilight's the copy Unicorn. Boo-yah!

Also, it's delightful how you keep each new character shrouded in mystery and keep us guessing with all of them as you slowly unravel them. I have yet to be disappointing by any of the reveals in this story. Ending on another thank you.

It has probably been posted somewhere, but just how many stories do you plan on having. Or are you just making it up as you go along. Great job either way:pinkiehappy:

The wait between the end of 4 and the start of 5 will be a painful one, but a masterpiece should never be rushed.
Also, I noticed this

“By mom!” called Scootaloo

You used "By" when it should've been "Bye"
One last thing I want to say is that your stories have been my favorites not only because they're that good but also because even when you are done there is more to come. A short story is nice but a long one that is built well and over time is even better. If you were ever to write a book, and get it published, I can promise that I would buy it to see how awesome it would be since you have these 4 absolutely amazing stories to back up how awesome it would be.

Wight Shade is totally a cult Solar agent! :ajbemused:

Why do I have a feeling that Luna instead of having knights has Sages or Exorcists? But any who A good ending that makes me anticipate the sequel and what was this line about Cirrus at the end? Well he return with out his head up his own rear? Probably not but who knows and stunned Arcana will always be funny and I am so glad Arky and Twi finally got together!:pinkiehappy: But now we must play the waiting game, luckily I have comics and tabletop rpgs to soak up my time as I wait and Skin Game too when it comes out but till then, This was a great Story, So till then i'll see ya later Space Cowboy.

"Repetitive attacks to induce complacency..." continued Arkenstone, "And trying to overwhelm me with force of numbers from all sides in order to scatter my focus... You launched your first attack earlier in order to gauge my response to determine how much of an opening you needed. Then, attacking with your final drones, you waited until the right instant, when I had just finished intercepting their attacks to make your transformation. At that instant, my psyche was sufficiently vulnerable that I was caught off-guard by your trick, my subconscious reaction being enough to make me hesitate, which you exploited by having your final drone attack. My delayed response left enough of an opening for you to strike without me being in position to defend the way I had before.

"You made only two errors. The first was your assumption that, since I primarily navigate by smell, the dust would impair my senses enough to hinder any attempt to block or intercept your attack. The second was that I only had one means of defending against a blow of that caliber. Aside from that, your strategy was magnificent. I haven't had to resort to creating a shield in a long time."

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuurgh! :facehoof: Anime characters! Always spending hours upon hours explaining useless expos about attacks that just occured and other useless stuff!

Scootaloo getting her wings:scootangel:, Twilight finally getting a coltfriend (Bucking finally!:twilightangry2:) and general happy feels at the ending. Eeeeyup, that's what i call proper arc ending. :eeyup:
I know you said you'll have a hiatus before another arc, but here's hoping it will not be a long one. I really grew to love this story. :twilightsmile:

3768936 two words healing factor. on top of that it's a healing factor that rivals Wolverines.

3767699
I vote Spark 'n Ark, because it's really fun to say quickly.

I haven't cried since the ending of Angel Beats, but this was amazingly close. I love how you have made the entire story come together and dare say that you could make a living writing. Please keep on doing the beautiful story.

Beautiful. That was perfect. Can't wait for #5! Keep up the good work!

The big players are finally revealing themselves. Now we have three Knights, Morning Star, Terra, Wight Shade, Trixie, Perlin, and his butler. Now Scootaloo and Rumble may become major players in the physical and political conflicts as well. It feels kind of weird that Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom aren't getting training from anyone though (especially Apple Bloom, who has access to both Red River and Granny Smith). I hope they don't get left behind. Also, is Scootaloo ever going to learn the other forms? Seriously, she's essentially mastered air manipulation and body control just through the First Form. On a side note, I love how Celestia's plan to erase Morning Star's existence meant that no one knows she hates him, so he got to the top of the Cult.

Yeah, I figured that was what happened to Chrysalis. Still cool anyways. Arkenstone's magic style reminds me of Gary's Ice make (from Fairy Tail). Or at least I think his name's Gary. It's been awhile since I read it.

I can't believe it's the end of the fourth book. It seems like only last week I started the series. :twilightsmile:

I purposely waited for you to finish before I start to read it and now it's time to read!

So the Changelings pulled their strength from wanting to survive AND wanting to die simultaneously? :derpyderp2:

Also, Twilight is op. Which is a good thing. :twilightsmile:

I politely insist you continue the FANTASTIC work of art that is this series, when you have sufficiently fleshed it out to your satisfaction!

I've been waiting for you to post the next story in what i hope is a long series. I loved the last three, and if your stories continue with their greatness, I'm sure ill enjoy this one. thanks for writing

Wow, took me forever to read this. MOAR! :flutterrage:

:applejackunsure: When I first read Foal in the Forrest, I wasn't sure what I thought about the story. There were plenty of good elements, but Dawn seemed very much a Gary Sue and there wasn't a ton drawing me in. Still, I decided to keep going, and I am very glad I did. :twilightsmile: It has been wonderful to see your writing and your world develop into a story I now excitedly anticipate reading more of, and I can say that Dawn is now safely out of Sue territory. I have greatly enjoyed this world of ponies crossed with anime style martial arts. :rainbowdetermined2:

:pinkiesad2: I do have one critique for you though, I think you should approach Pinkie's character a little differently. The way she's portrayed in your story makes her seem overbearing and zainy to the point that most ponies barely tolerate her and are even scared of her. While I don't disagree that she can be well over the top, I think the show does a good job of making her endearing in the midst of it. We also see in instances like the Smile Song and the beginning of MMC that she does a lot to brighten up the town and that most ponies love having her around because she makes them happy and her parties are greatly enjoyed by all. :pinkiehappy:

Anyways, something to consider, keep up the good work and I look forward to your next one. :yay:

I wonder what Dawn's Raiment will look like...
He said his master's was like the Sky itself, which I find pretty scary to be honest... but Dawn's, maybe since he is like Amano Ginji, his might be like an embodiment of thunder (like Spitfire is an embodiment of fire).

That also brings the question of Scootaloo... since he natural talent and potential for the Gale King is superior to Dawn's, she might actually become one of the strongest martial artists of the Dawnverse...

The Mountain Root; Granny Smith 'supposedly' a master of that Pillar... brings me to question if she taught one of her other family members that too (My guess is that Big Macintosh is a practitioner).

The Still Way makes me question which pony follows it, not sure about Canon unicorns (since the way itself contradicts everything of unicorn magic knowledge) so it's most likely an OC who is a practisioner.

This also brings me to question the Cult Solar's members... if they could get a member of the Wonderbolts into their ranks, they could most certainly get other powerful members into their league too... such as martial artists

The Knights themselves; we being introduced to 3 of them... none of them use the Pillars, but what's to say the other 4 don't?

I hope the next story answers the question as to the Still Way and the Mountain Root... but I'll wait and see what Moguera has in store for us :moustache:

I haven't read this, but FimFiction yet again erased my fav and upvote of a story as it went and updated itself. I freaking hate that I was looking forward to following Storm on the Horizon now I'm 200 thousand + words in the hole. And I seriously need to catch up.

I can't wait to follow your series and I finally catch up to where I can finish up this fic. After all Dawn is one of my favorite OC's. And I find the 3 Pillars inspirational in my own head canon world building.

You know I can see this story going on till Dawn is like Fluttershy's age...

There's one thing that seriously bothers me (now that I think of it)... if this story does come to the conclusion of Dawn Lightning vs Morning Star... how in the name of all things sacred is he suppose to beat a stallion who nearly killed Celestia?

I can't wait for Story 5 to come out. This series is epic. In a very literal sense of the word as well as a figurative sense.

3907620 Celestia's sister Luna! Morning Star wants to get revenge on Celestia by killing off her sister Luna! :rainbowderp:

Login or register to comment