• Published 22nd Nov 2013
  • 12,836 Views, 964 Comments

Shadow of the Sun - moguera



Dawn and Twilight must deal with their own respective troubles as dangerous forces marshal against them.

  • ...
25
 964
 12,836

Assuaging Guilt

Chapter 11: Assuaging Guilt

Dawn skidded to a halt on a hill outside of town. Turning to look around, he realized he was alone before sagging to the ground, shaking. Berry Punch's words had indeed stirred up old memories within him as he remembered how others had accosted him in the past, blamed him for their misfortune and driven him away. In the past, it had been easy to dismiss such allegations as the words of ponies who solely looked for someone to blame for their own problems. But, for the first time, Dawn could look back on another pony's accusations and find that she had been right. Never before had he been able to draw such a clear line of cause and effect between himself and the pain other ponies had suffered, save for that which he'd been directly responsible for through his own actions.

But the evidence was clear before him. He'd already begun to realize it back at the barn, when the others were sharing how the events of the day before had left them troubled, unable to relax or sleep, how'd they'd needed the comfort of their friends and family to get through the night. And then he'd seen their teacher, collapsed in her own home, turning alcohol for comfort because his actions had undermined her validation. Dawn had made Cheerilee doubt her suitability for her profession, her calling. It's my fault.

The realization stabbed through him, causing the colt's breath to hitch. Everything that had happened yesterday had been a consequence of his presence in Ponyville. Willow had found him because he had settled in this town. She'd terrified the foals because he had gone to school. Cheerilee had broken down because he had gone out to confront her. In the end, he realized, The responsibility lies with me.

His eyes turned to the line of the Everfree Forest that stretched out in front of him. He had spent a year in that trackless wilderness, with only monsters and animals for company. He'd gone there because it had seemed the more appealing option than having to deal with ponies anymore. When his new mother had brought him out, he'd never thought he would look upon the forest again and think about going back. But now...Perhaps it would be better if I disappeared for good this time.

Dawn was so lost in thought, that his ears barely picked up the sound of hooves hitting the ground behind him. A second later, he felt the contact of somepony next to him. The colt automatically flinched away. However, he was stopped by the feeling of a gentle wing settling over his back. Looking over, he was surprised to see an orange filly settling next to him.

"S-Scootaloo?"

In the next second, Scootaloo threw her forelegs around Dawn's shoulders in a tight hug as she pressed her face against his neck.

"She's wrong," was all that filly said, "This isn't your fault Dawn. Please don't blame yourself. Please don't run away from us."

For a long time, Dawn couldn't think of anything to say. Lacking any other response, he allowed himself to relax against Scootaloo and allow silence to steal over them. As he did, he could feel the trembling of her wings. She had taken flight after him, chasing him across all the distance that he fled, in spite of the fact that she was still recovering from working her body nearly to exhaustion earlier that day. She did that...for me... Dawn didn't know whether to be flattered or regretful. Thanks to him, Scootaloo was in even worse shape than before.

After a while, Scootaloo seemed to recover enough that she felt as though she could move. Getting slowly to her hooves, she smiled at Dawn. "Come on. Let's go home."

Dawn got up and followed somewhat reluctantly as Scootaloo led the way to Fluttershy's house. In the time that had passed while they were lying there on the hill, the sun had begun to dip towards the horizon, making Dawn realize that Fluttershy and Melon were likely getting worried about their foals. He hoped that Scootaloo was strong enough to make it home.

As the cottage came into view, Dawn could see the lights on. For some reason, the thought of going back there made him hesitate. Staring at that cottage, his imagination suddenly conjured the image of Fluttershy in Cheerilee's position, losing herself to despair and sorrow because of something to do with him. No! It could be worse than that. If the Cult Solar continued to seek him out, then they would inevitably come after Fluttershy. If they knew what she had done for him, they probably wouldn't hesitate to exercise their wrath upon her. Dawn's legs began to shake as his mind called up images of Fluttershy, beaten, suffering, tortured, and homeless because she had taken him, given him a home, and called him son. What kind of son would I be if I brought that down on her?

Dawn's eyes turned towards the Everfree. I should go...I should go and never come back. As he thought, it suddenly occurred to him that this was eerily familiar. Then he remembered, this was the feeling he'd held back when Red River and Storm Front had decided to "execute" him. It was that lost feeling of wondering if there was ever anywhere he could truly belong amongst ponies.

At least, back then, it had been to teach him that, as the author of his own actions, Dawn was the one who held the power to determine whether or not ponies got hurt because of him. They had been trying to teach him the consequences of being too detached from the pain and feelings of others. But this was a different sort of problem. If ponies suffered now, it would not be because of something Dawn had done, it would merely be a consequence of his being. Fluttershy wouldn't be hurt because he'd done something to her. She would be hurt because he had been there with her.

Only a single thing stopped him from bolting for the forest then and there. Fluttershy would not be content to leave him alone. She had promised him back then, promised that she would go with him if he had to leave. She would follow me. She would try to find me. And if she got hurt doing so, it would be my fault as well.

"Dawn?" asked Scootaloo, turning to look over her shoulder at the colt in confusion. Her heart nearly stopped when she saw that he was eyeing the line of the Everfree once again. As the ebony colt turned to look at her, Scootaloo's eyes narrowed and she gave him a level almost-glare. "Don't even think about it," she said.

Dawn let out a sigh and once again followed her towards the cottage. Coming to the door, he stepped ahead of her and pushed it open. "I'm home," he said softly, almost afraid of what he would find on the other side.

The sight that greeted him was not one that he had been expecting.

Fluttershy was settled on the couch in the living room, a pot of tea and a pair of cups set out on the table in front of her. That, in and of itself, wasn't surprising. Fluttershy was fond of tea (a fondness Dawn shared) and the two of them had spent many an idle evening enjoying an after-dinner cup of mild green tea while Dawn did his homework and told his mother about his day. What surprised him was not that Fluttershy had company either. What truly surprised him was who that company was.

Cheerilee was also seated at the table, clearly having been talking to Fluttershy. The look on her face was sad, regretful. Dawn could see the tracks in the fur beneath her eyes, a sign that she'd been crying recently. He could see similar tracks coming from Fluttershy's eyes. Both of them had shed tears at some point. And Dawn was fairly certain he knew the reason why.

The sound of the door opening, attracted the attention of the two mares. They turned as one and spotted the jet-black colt, frozen halfway through walking in the door, Scootaloo standing behind him.

"Oh Dawn!" said Fluttershy, her face breaking into a radiant, genuine smile as she saw him, "Thank goodness you're home. I was worried when Cheerilee told me what had happened."

Her wings fluttered, allowing herself to fly up and glide over the table before coming to rest in front of Dawn. She immediately pulled him into a warm hug and ushered him all the way in, throwing a grateful look to Scootaloo as she did. Fluttershy guided Dawn towards where Cheerilee sat and bade him sit across from the teacher.

"Now then, Miss Cheerilee has something she needs to talk to you about..."


Spitfire stared listlessly at the letter in front of her. It was an ordinary piece of paper. But it boggled the mind to think that such a paper could be a source of so much hardship to a single colt. She was glad that she'd found the letter when she had. She didn't want to think about what might have happened if Fleetfoot had managed to get it sent to its intended recipient.

Of course, she thought, That doesn't mean that we can rest on our laurels. Sooner or later, it's gonna get out that Willow was defeated and then the cat will be well and truly out of the bag. That was not something she wanted hanging over her head.

Part of her still wanted to believe that this was a huge misunderstanding, that one of her Wonderbolts wasn't part of a superstitious cult that had driven Princess Luna to madness over a thousand years ago.

But it was all too true, all too real. And now she had to deal with it.

Spitfire's eyes were drawn to the page and she read the letter once again.


`To the venerable and wise Supreme Pontiff of our Order;

I hope that this letter finds you well as I bear tidings that are both good and ill. The demon that you have warned us about has finally emerged from concealment. He appeared here, in Cloudsdale, recently and I have managed to ascertain his location. Now that he has been found, he will be dealt with permanently. I have already been in contact with Willow, whom you contracted to end the demon over a year ago. I expect to receive news of his demise before long.

However, not all news is good. For the demon has not been complacent in choosing his place of sanctuary. When I met him in Cloudsdale, he had merely been visiting as part of the effort to break up the tribalist fools seeking to fulfill their delusion of pegasus superiority. What truly troubles me is that he had been in the company of somepony very important. He was with Rainbow Dash, whom, as you may recall, is the Bearer of the Element of Loyalty and a pony of absolute importance to Her Radiance. As it turns out, the demon has been living in the home of one of the other Element Bearers, apparently Kindness. It upsets me to think that this demon has been living amongst the ones charged with protecting Equestria from him and his ilk. It is an exceptionally canny move as well. I hope that we have been able to act before his influence could pollute the Elements.

Whatever the case, once Willow has completed her work, I will inform you immediately, although that money-grubbing assassin might reach you first so she can collect her bits. Once this dark matter is resolved, I look forward to learning the progress of our plan to expel Nightmare Moon from the world once and for all.

May the Light of Her Radiance Illuminate the World Eternal;
Fleetfoot.

The letter brought up more questions than it did answers. Spitfire wondered just who this Supreme Pontiff was. Clearly, he or she was the leader of the Cult Solar. But the letter gave no hints as to just what kind of pony it was. Furthermore, Fleetfoot hadn’t addressed the envelope the letter had been in. So either she simply hadn’t gotten around to addressing it or she had a method outside of the Postal Service for getting her letters delivered to members of the Cult Solar. Once she was ready to begin Fleetfoot’s interrogation, Spitfire planned to find out.

Her reverie was interrupted by the door opening to admit Rapidfire. A satisfied smile was written across his face. “I just got back from the armorer,” he said, “She’ll have everything she needs in a couple days. She says she’ll have everything ready by the deadline.”

A bubble of excitement rose in Spitfire’s chest at the news. It was nice to shelve the issue with Fleetfoot for just a moment so that they could talk about something more optimistic. “So all that’s left is to let Soarin’ know.”

Rapidfire nodded in agreement. “He’s gonna be over the moon you know. He wasn’t expecting you to do this while he was on leave.”

Spitfire chuckled. “Knowing him, he’s gonna make the whole thing into a surprise.”

“With all that’s been going on, we could use a few nice surprises,” said Rapidfire.

Spitfire grinned and nodded. “I couldn’t agree more.”


Following the altercation at Cheerilee's house, the rest of the Cutie Mark Crusaders were left somewhat in the lurch by Dawn's, Scootaloo's, and then Cheerilee's abrupt departure. Not wanting to stay in the house, now that their reason for visiting had left them behind, and even less enamored with the idea of keeping company with Berry Punch after what she had said to Dawn, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Rumble quickly found themselves on the streets of Ponyville and at a loss for what to do.

They briefly entertained the idea of trying to find Dawn and help Scootaloo encourage him after what he'd just been through. However, given that Dawn had flown off, there were any number of places that he could have fled to. With Rumble being the only remaining pegasus in the group and being unwilling to leave the girls behind, there was only so much ground they could cover on hoof.

"Maybe we should leave it to Scootaloo," suggested Sweetie Belle, "We can always check with her tomorrow and see how things went."

"Ah guess that works out," admitted Apple Bloom with a shrug, "Maybe we should all just head home then. It's gettin' pretty late after all. Ah think mah sister and brother are gonna start wonderin' where in tarnation Ah've gone of to."

Sweetie and Rumble both nodded in agreement. "Rarity will freak out if I'm out too late," admitted the white filly.

"Alright," said Apple Bloom decisively, "Ah'll see y'all tomorrow then." She gave them one last smile before galloping off in the direction of Sweet Apple Acres, leaving Sweetie and Rumble alone in the awkward silence that followed.

Rumble looked at Sweetie and smiled bashfully before looking down and scuffing the ground with his hoof. "I-I guess this is goodnight then."

"Y-yeah," agreed Sweetie. She quickly looked around, as though checking for witnesses before stepping closer to Rumble. "Hey Rumble..."

"Yeah?"

She smiled. "I just wanted to let you know, it's okay and I don't think there's anything wrong with you."

Rumble's eyes widened as he remembered what he had confessed to earlier that day. "Really! Th-thanks."

Once again, Sweetie's eyes darted about before she leaned in and quickly planted a kiss on the gray colt's cheek. "Goodnight," she whispered into his ear before skipping off, leaving Rumble standing alone, his face now bright red. For a second, he was too dizzy with surprise to even think about going anywhere. Once he gathered his wits, he stumbled off in the direction of home.

He wasn't even halfway there when he heard the light fluttering of wings behind him. Turning around, Rumble saw that Flitter had landed there, smiling cheerfully at him.

"Hi Rumble," she said happily.

"Hi Flitter," said Rumble, turning to give her an enthusiastic hug. Flitter was very much an older sister to the young colt, particularly because she was often the one who looked after him while Thunderlane and Cloud Chaser went out on their dates. The two of them tended to get along quite well.

"Did you and your friends have a good day?" asked Flitter as she fell into step next to him.

Rumble nodded. "Uh-huh."

Flitter reached out and ran a hoof across his back. "Do you feel better?" she asked. She was fully aware of what had happened the previous night. She was worried that Rumble's bedwetting might have had consequences for his friendships.

"Yeah," replied Rumble, "I...I told them what happened and they said it was okay. Everypony had a really rough night, I guess."

"I'm glad," said Flitter, leaning down to nuzzle him, "Say...do you want to see something neat?"

"Something neat?" asked Rumble.

Flitter nodded. She spread her wings and fluttered up to hover overhead, beckoning Rumble to follow her. Rumble quickly joined her in the skies and the two of them took off towards an isolated patch of clouds left over from the last storm. When they arrived, Rumble was surprised to see the dark, grayish-purple form of Storm Front as the stallion stood on on the clouds in a waiting position. At first, Rumble started to move closer, but stopped when Flitter put out a hoof in front of him. Rumble turned to look at her, his wordless question being answered by Flitter putting a hoof to her lips.

"Just watch," she said as the two of them hovered there.

Rumble did as he was beckoned. They watched as Storm Front took off from the cloud to hover amongst them. The weight and cord of Storm's meteor hammer dangled down from his foreleg to hang limply. Then, Storm began to make the weapon spin, twirling the cord about in an exaggerated circle.

As the two watched, Storm Front went through his paces, wrapping the cord around his body, allowing him to control the reach of his weapon without having to halt its movement, swinging the weight about like a pendulum before wrapping it around his body again, only to send it launching straight out like a striking snake.

The clouds around Storm Front weren't there for the sake of being platforms. Going through the motions of his practice, Storm sent the weight barreling into the assembled clouds, striking them and blasting them away in much the same manner as a well-placed buck. Some of the clouds were too large to take out with a single strike, so instead Storm broke them into smaller pieces with sequential hits from the meteor hammer before dispersing them once they were small enough. His fluid motions allowed him to continue the rapid series of strikes without pause until the entire cluster of clouds around him had been reduced to just a few wisps of intangible vapor.

Flitter was smiling as she watched. She enjoyed the sight of Storm practicing and felt especially privileged that he didn't seem to mind her watching. It had only been a couple days since Pinkie Pie's party, so they hadn't had much of a chance to follow up on their date. But she'd sat in on his practice everyday since then and they had occasionally sat out talking, long into the night. Storm shared more stories of his homeland and his experiences traveling across Saddle Arabia and Equestria. Flitter, wishing that she had something as interesting to talk about, shared stories her own life, looking after Rumble, helping Cloud Chaser and Thunderlane through their relationship, the antics that the ponies of Ponyville inevitably seemed to get up to. If her stories bored him, Storm Front never seemed to show it. Instead, he seemed quite taken with hearing about such mundane happenings, perhaps having had his fill of extraordinary occurrences.

Rumble, in the meantime, was mesmerized by the sight. He remembered seeing Storm Front's skills in action during the stallion's fight with Dawn. Back then, the circumstances had kept the colt from focusing much on the nature of Storm's weapon. But now that the colt had the opportunity to see Storm's skills in detail, he found that he couldn't take his eyes away.

Storm paused to retract the cord of the weapon into his sleeve before turning to look at Rumble and Flitter. A slight smile spread across his lips at the sight of them. "Good evening," he said, drifting closer.

"Hi," said Flitter, no longer feeling so bashful in the stallion's presence.

Storm stopped to hover in front of them. "I see you brought your friend," he observed, looking at Rumble.

"Yes, thank you for letting him watch," said Flitter.

To her surprise, Rumble fluttered forward slightly, looking nervously at Storm Front. "Uh..." He rubbed his foreleg nervously, "Do you think you could teach me how to do that?" he asked.

Storm tilted his head as he regarded the colt and Flitter's eyes widened in surprise. She'd never seen Rumble take such an intense interest in anything before. He enjoyed racing with his brother and playing with his friends, but there seemed to be nothing that could really draw all the colt's attention and dedication.

Storm Front was silent for a moment before lifting his foreleg and allowing the meteor hammer to dangle out from its sleeve. "You want to learn how to use this?" he asked.

Rumble nodded eagerly. "It's really amazing. When I saw you doing it, I felt like I really wanted to try it for myself."

"Rumble..." Flitter was slightly taken aback. At the same time, there was a certain casualness to his request that she wasn't sure about, something that made it seem like he would give it up rather easily if it became more difficult than he thought.

"The meteor hammer is not an easy weapon to learn," said Storm, "Learning to use and control it is difficult, even painful at times. Are you sure you want to try learning this. It will require a great deal of dedication and practice."

Rumble nodded enthusiastically. "I want to try at least."

Storm smiled again. "Then I shall see what I can do."


"Dawn," said Cheerilee, her voice much softer than what he was used to hearing from the teacher, "I want to apologize for what my sister said. She had no right to talk to you like that."

"Even if what she said is true?" asked Dawn.

The magenta mare winced at Dawn's words, but recovered quickly. "No! It's not true Dawn. This isn't your fault."

"Isn't it though?" asked the colt, "Willow came there for me, shrouded the entire town in fog to find me, confused and terrified ponies to single me out, tormented everypony at school because I was there. My presence was the root of everything that happened yesterday."

"Dawn..." Fluttershy was on the verge of breaking down, crying. In its own way, this was worse than what he'd had to deal with the previous day. It seemed that coming to terms with somepony dying as a result of his actions was easier than what he was dealing with now.

"My friends were so terrified that they could barely make it through the night," said Dawn, "Scootaloo worked herself into exhaustion this morning to escape it. Apple Bloom had to sleep with her sister. Sweetie Belle is an exhausted mess. Rumble..." Dawn managed to cut himself off before he could blab Rumble's embarrassing secret to the two adults in the room. Instead, he shook his head. "And it was because I was there with them." He turned his gaze on Cheerilee. "I disobeyed you and left the schoolhouse to confront Willow. I left you crying on the floor, helpless. And then you..."

Cheerilee shuddered, inwardly cursing her weakness last night, her inability to come to terms with what had happened had caused her to turn to drink to escape her sadness. But now, she realized that that weakness had taken its toll on the colt in front of her. She was so disappointed in herself that she wanted to break down crying right there. However, she mustered her strength as she realized that this was where she could apply the true measure of her calling.

"Dawn," said Cheerilee, her voice firm, "I want you to listen to me."

Those dragon-like eyes turned their full attention to Cheerilee as the ebony colt was pulled out of his reverie. "Dawn, you are such a strong boy," she said softly, gently reaching out with a hoof and running it through his mane. Dawn's habitual flinch didn't even slow her down. "It's easy for me to forget things like that. Just a few days ago, you were absent because you were in Cloudsdale, fighting... For somepony like me, it's hard to connect with how somepony could go out and do those things, especially when that somepony is one of my students, one of the foals in my care.

"As a teacher, it's my job, my duty to give you foals a safe place where you can be free to learn and grow. For over half the day, you and your friends are under my care and guidance. During that time, you are my children. I love you all so much and I never want to see anything happen to you." A tear leaked out of the corner of her eye.

"Yesterday, I was terrified. You were one of my students and you were being threatened. I wanted to do my job. I wanted to protect you and keep you safe. I'd forgotten how strong you really are. What mattered to me was that you were one of my students. That's why I was so upset. I realized that I'd been weak, that I couldn't do anything to keep you or anypony else safe. Instead of me protecting you, you were protecting us. And that just felt so...wrong to me." She sighed. "You did nothing wrong yesterday. I made a mistake. I got upset over something that I shouldn't have and you got hurt because of that."

"But..." Dawn opened his mouth to protest, but found Cheerilee's hoof hovering over his lips.

"As for the other thing," she said, "That's horseapples and you know it. It doesn't matter that that mare was there for you, that she was coming after you. You didn't do anything wrong. If somepony gets hurt by a criminal, if she's robbed or taken advantage of, is it her fault?"

"No," replied Dawn.

Cheerilee nodded. "If somepony does something wrong, or even evil, then it's the fault of that pony. You can argue about the causes all you want, but the fact of the matter is that the only pony responsible for what happened yesterday is the pony you defeated. Nopony has the right to try and hurt you simply for being different, for existing. You have every right to a happy life with friends and family who love and care for you. Those ponies that want to hurt you are wrong for trying to take it away."

"But..." said Dawn, "This was only the first time. There will be others. What happens when somepony gets hurt by someone trying to get at me? What happens when my friends are victims of my presence." He sighed and looked down. "Everypony here will only get hurt if I stay. It seems that hurting ponies is the only thing I can do well...whether I want to or not."

"That's not true!"

Everypony turned to the source of the outburst. Scootaloo had been standing behind Dawn the entire time, listen to Cheerilee's efforts to encourage and help him. She was now glaring at Dawn with righteous indignation. "You don't get to say that after everything you've done!" She snapped, stalking forward as Dawn turned to face her. She lifted her forehoof and prodded his chest. "You're the one who saved Fluttershy from that jerk the night you came here. You're the one who taught me to fly, who got me into the sky. You're the one who protected me from my dad. You're the one who went to Cloudsdale with Rainbow Dash and got our storms back."

Dawn was actually leaning away from the force of Scootaloo's diatribe. "Don't you dare say that the only thing you're good at is hurting ponies. Do you know how long it's been since Ditzy's been in a flying accident?" Dawn shook his head. "Thirteen! It's been thirteen whole days since Ditzy's crashed into anything. That's like the longest she's gone without crashing in like...ever!" Scootaloo threw her hooves into the air. "And it's because of what you taught her. Those jerks aren't bothering Dinky anymore because you went and protected her."

She leaned in, nearly pressing her muzzle against Dawn's, glaring straight into his eyes. "So don't even think that you've only ever hurt ponies. I can't believe you would think that after everything that you've done, after all the ponies that you've helped."

"But..." Dawn had to admit that Scootaloo's words were moving. He couldn't really find fault with her arguments. However, that did little to ease his worries. The fact of the matter remained. The Cult Solar was still out there. They would most likely continue to pursue Dawn and harass those close to him until he was dead. In the face of something like that, did the good that he do really justify allowing his presence to continue to put them in danger?

Scootaloo stepped back. She could see the uncertainty in Dawn's expression. She glowered darkly at the colt. "Fine! If I can't get through your thick skull by talking to you, I'm gonna have to show you." She turned sharply and a headed for the door to Fluttershy's cottage.

"Where are you going Scootaloo?" asked Fluttershy.

"Home," said Scootaloo, "I'm tired and I need some sleep. I've got something I need to do tomorrow."

She turned and threw one last glare at Dawn. "Don't even think about running away before I'm ready to show you."

"Show me what?" asked Dawn, utterly baffled.

"You'll see," was the only answer he received.

"Wait," called Cheerilee, getting up and heading towards where Scootaloo stood. She smiled down at the orange filly. "It's late, so you should have an adult walk you home."

"Thanks Miss Cheerilee."

Cheerilee turned back to look at Dawn again and smiled. "Don't give up," she said softly, "You have ponies that love you and want you to stay with them. If you think that the threat of them getting hurt is bad, try to think about how much it would hurt if you left them."

Her words were like a needle jabbing the colt in the heart and he turned to look at Fluttershy, who was giving him a frightened stare, but not because she was afraid of him. Wordlessly, she wrapped the colt in her forelegs and drew him close.

Scootaloo snorted roughly and turned to head out the door, the teacher following close behind her. The door closed with a sharp bang, leaving Dawn alone in the house with his mother, who suddenly seemed terrified of the thought of letting him go.


Scootaloo huffed in frustration as she trotted down the road. Her legs were burning slightly after an afternoon spent walking and flying around. Being able to rest earlier had given her the energy to keep up with her friends. But the day's events were starting to catch up to her and she was certain that, when she got home, she would collapse into bed before long and be out like a light. But not for too long, she thought, I need to get up early tomorrow.

"Scootaloo?" The orange filly looked over to see Cheerilee staring at her questioningly.

"Yeah?"

"What exactly are you planning?"

Scootaloo smiled up at her teacher. "I was just thinking that Dawn can be pretty thick when he wants to be." She turned back to look at the road as they headed back into town. "It's just like last time. He gets it into his head that he hurts more ponies than he helps and he won't listen when we tell him that it's not true. So I figured, if he won't listen to words, then I'll show him instead."

"What are you going to show him?" asked Cheerilee.

"I'm not exactly sure yet," said Scootaloo, giving her teacher an uncertain look, "But I know where to start." Her smile turned into a smirk as she remembered something that Dawn had said when they had first started her lessons. The best place to start is at the beginning.

Author's Note:

After this chapter, we go back to Canterlot for a while, where we can see how things are going with Twilight. We'll get back to Ponyville eventually. However, it's gonna be Scootaloo's time to shine.

I hope Cheerilee's explanation made sense. Dawn's conflict feels a bit awkward as, in some ways, its a retread of his depression after what happened between him and Cirrus Stratus (remember him?), albeit for different reasons. This time, rather than having some sense being beat into him, it'll be up to his friends and family to show him the light, so to speak.

Next chapter: Twilight goes to a party.