• Published 8th Dec 2013
  • 2,352 Views, 86 Comments

We'll Meet Again - unipie



Does the universe really want you and your soul mate to be together? In Applejack and Rarity's case – yes it does. Stretching through their lives, they find that one recurring trend – each other.

  • ...
6
 86
 2,352

Chapter Five: Planking Out

Chapter 5 – Planking Out





One Year and Seven Months Later.

Boxes.

Boxes here, boxes there, and boxes – well, you get the idea. If I ever saw another box again, so help me, I was going to slap my horn against the nearest wall – not the most pleasurable of sensations I may add. My head already felt like scrambled egg; the bone shattering might have finished me off, though, blacking out seemed to have its benefits. I wouldn’t have to look at those unsightly cubes anymore, and I could get some sleep. Trust me, after the day I’d had, the prospect was starting to look like a luxury. I was exhausted. Oh, and don’t forget hot, practically incinerating. So, when my whole body began perspiring – that was the final straw.

Oh, the shame!

What was I thinking? Once I get an idea in that head of mine it’s nigh on impossible to divert me from it. In this instance, I doubt even my own conscience could have convinced me to cease. You shouldn’t blame me though; the task at hoof had to get finished. This was my new home after all.

Now when I say “home”, at this point in time, it was anything but. I’ll put this in the nicest way possible. It looked like a hurricane had blown through, flipped it upside down, then lightening had struck it multiple times, before it caught on fire.

No, really. This thing was dilapidated!

In all honesty, I must have had some kind of mental breakdown – that can be the only explanation. If I had gazed upon it now, I would have paid some teenage ruffians to commit arson upon it. Actually, I’d have been happy to have done it by my own hoof! Put it out of its misery; burn it to the ground, rid the town of that eye sore.

Oh, but it was my eye sore. All mine.

For a potential squatters’ hive, it was quite the bargain. A two hundred bit deposit, then only another five for the next year. Also, I might have bestowed some “pony charm” on the real estate agent who’d sold it to me. Laugh all you want but it shaved a third off the price that little stunt did. Not to worry, I only went on a date with the fellow, nothing to get your tail in a bunch over. Yes, it was awful, but none the less, it got me this “beauty”.

As you can guess, in its decrepit state, it was cheap. They were practically giving it away. It defiantly wasn’t love at first sight, but it gave me a new “artistic vision”.

I was going to restore that building and create my own business!

I couldn’t have just bought a new hat or something. No, I had to go buy a rusty, old grain mill. Well, I think it was a grain mill – that’s what the real estate stallion had said. It explained why it was so bulky, circular, and full of sawdust. The interior utterly repulsed me. Its dark, shabby floorboards, and in particular the surprise mould infestation in the kitchen made my stomach churn. What a “lovely” welcome gift.

It was obvious somepony had tried their own hoof at some restoration, and then given it up as a bad job. Bad job indeed. If I haven’t convinced you enough how much this was a “good idea”, you should have seen upstairs. The second floor was – no word of a lie – horrid. It only took a swift look and an unexplainable clatter to coax me back downstairs. However, this provided just enough time for me to visualise a workroom and bedroom from the rotting, yet perfect, structures. But secretly, it gave me quite a fright. The creaks and groans with each wind howl weren’t to my liking, and I think some owls had become permanent residents in the loft. Long story short, was I fudge sleeping up there.

I’d made a little temporary one room living space on the ground floor until construction would get underway. It wasn’t much, a bed, my sewing machine, some crockery and a kettle. Heavens, I was like a cave pony! Oh, and don’t forget the boxes. My boxes and I, together forever.

I’d started unpacking from a delivery wagon my father had lent me. Despite the wonky wheel, it was better than making a hundred trips across town to my parent’s house. I could have stayed with them, but I wanted to get settled in. Anyway, who wants to move back in with their parents after three years living on your own? Definitely not.

The fact I couldn’t levitate heavy objects, and it was a billion degrees outside was not to my advantage. Being only accustomed to a needle or fabric, boxes of household items weren’t my levitation forte. After twenty minutes, fatigue swiftly took over. Celestia help me. Actually, forget that, it was the princess who had made it so bloody hot.

Several glasses of lemonade, a vigorous fan wave and mane tidying later, I was feeling pony again. Still, without an automatic fan, I was being baked alive in this aged, wooden oven. I grunted, kicking an empty box when I couldn’t find one in the sea of organised chaos.

I didn’t regret wandering outside, surprisingly it was much cooler. The sky was an immaculate blue, without a single cloud stain. If anything, it was rather blinding. Grabbing my best pair of sunglasses from the window sill, I started to inspect the mill’s exterior.

This was the building's downfall. Maybe the phrase “fall down at any moment” would’ve been more fitting. The sun bleached, cracked paintwork made me grimace. With no trees around, in a relatively open area of town, this was a problem. But, nothing a new lick of paint couldn’t fix.

Circling round the base, I wiped some aging dust from a window. The neighbourhood was relatively quiet. Sure, there was a bridge and stone pathway nearby, but I’d only seen a few carts passing. Ponyville hadn’t changed at all, and I couldn’t have been more relieved.

Three years in Canterlot really does make you appreciate the simpler things in life. Who needs a hundred different stores? Well okay, perhaps I do, but Ponyville certainly didn’t. But it did have the best bakery. Soon as I got home I was straight to Sugarcube Corner for a banana muffin. That was before the new apprentice mare dive bombed me with confetti.

I reached the front, scanning the length of the structure. The mill’s propellers had been snapped in several places, only one still hanging on by a fibre. I had to assume it was the aftermath of a treacherous storm. Pulling it down would prove disastrous, especially with my weak spell power. Best to leave it be. Without a doubt, my work was cut out for me.

What caught my eye was the strange inclusion of thin support pillars wrapping the outside. They were quite darling, odd, but in a comforting way. It made the whole building have the likeness of a carousel, which I found rather joyous. About the only thing that wasn’t positively beastly on the house.

Speaking of, all the windows were bordered up with wood planks, each accompanied with a set of rusty nails beaten inside. The possibility of a discomforting scandal rolled through my mind. Ponies would assume I was a hermit or crazy cat lady.

Goodness me, those revolting things had to go!

My first attempt was an utter embarrassment, as I staggered away from the unyielding plank. I had neither the potency, nor physique for such a labouring job. I wasn’t the type of mare to have a tool box or anything to that effect lying around either. Imagine it, moi with a hammer!

Taking up a more rigid, box stance (I know “box”, hilarious), I gave another yank. This particular board was more willing and bent slightly. My half-hearted effort was understandable, since I was uneager to chip a hoof. However, I couldn’t deny this pompous piece of timber was getting on my last nerve. My face was progressing in shades of redness and sweat, painting the scene of a mad mare. A sudden jolt raised my spirits, but when only one of the four nails fell free, they crashed down once more.

The thumping in my head was so prevalent I thought my brain would spring out. A blurred haze enveloped my vision, as I seethed with indignation, unleashing fury upon the inanimate object.

“You will come off!” I snorted irritably, draping the board in a flourish of magic.

A small creak and shudder resonated with each swing of my horn, wheeling me backwards in anticipation. Wild eyed and teeth bared, I included the pull of my forehooves to the act. I expected the whole wall to travel with me when bestowing the plank with a final, anger driven, burst of magic.

“Come off! You stupid, infuriating piece of –”

The plank pounced forward, my hooves becoming knotted as I pried it free. The spell held firm by my enraged concentration, while the timber coiled backwards still drifting in mid-air from the force of the swing. My sudden wave of pride was cut short, and a snide “ha” barely escaped my lips, when the object I was wielding jolted to an abrupt stop.

My neck snapped around. The plank’s other end had lodged itself quite comfortably between the eyes of another pony, cracking their forehead down to oblivion.

I’m not sure what hit the ground first. The lifeless form went down hard at my hooves, planting its face into a small flowerbed under the window ledge. The board fell to the earth with a woody, hollow clunk when I released it.

Oh my giddy aunt!

Holy mother of Celestia, strike my flank with a bolt of lightning.

I’d killed her. Dead. Her corpse to spend eternity in my patch of petunias!

For first time that day my brain banished every logical thought process. My hooves wiggled, as I danced on the spot completely petrified. One might compare the similarities to a merry, folk pony jig, my eyes flailing about like those of a shifty thief.

“Oh gosh, oh gosh, oh gosh!” I foolishly thought somepony would appear to my, and more importantly, the mare’s rescue. However, not a soul was around.

I crouched to roll her muzzle out of the dirt, revealing a bulging lump and bruise atop her head. The mare was heavy, as I discovered by my poor attempt to lift her. My legs buckled under the strain, her muscular frame crushing me.

I couldn’t leave the poor dear out here to scorch, and I wasn’t best impressed at the notion of trying to explain why there was a mare unconscious on my front lawn.

“Let’s … get you … ugh … inside.”

My technique of simply dragging the earth pony by the forehooves was getting more pressing results. I noticed her cutie mark was three apples, and presumed the large unattended wagon of harvest by the roadside belonged to the mare. Celestia knew what she was going to say before I blackened her world.

Getting a stronger hold by slipping my hooves under her forelegs, she bounced up the front steps, while I painfully heaved her through the doorway. She was so limp a small breeze would have blown her limbs like a windsock. I bit my lip when her flaccid head slammed against the door frame. I considered myself so dense; the only suitable punishment was to slap my own noggin with a slab of lumber. Producing a low whine of concern, I considered the earth pony not waking up a possibility. Sending a quiet prayer to the goddesses, I grabbed the cowpony hat from the grass in my magic, before closing the door.

Deciding on where to place my new house guess was hardly a strenuous decision. The barren, dust wasteland of the front room didn’t excel in providing hospitality and comfort. A squeaky scrape resonated from the mare’s hooves against the floorboards, as my pounding heart crashed through my rib cage.

With a final burst of strength, I hurled the mare onto my still wrapped chaise longue. The bubble wrap gave many of those familiar satisfying pops, absorbing the earth pony’s body. She lay unmoving, breathing silently, which was a relief. At least she appeared “okay”, just unconscious.

I suppose I could only stare intently, imploring her to wake. Upon inspection, her pretty face and wholesome, down to earth mare look was rather charming. I was just observing of course, but no doubt it stayed rather prevalent in the back of my mind.

“Excuse me, Madame?” I prodded her side, speaking in hushed tones. Startling her wouldn’t aid the situation. Her forehead was burning and swollen, as I swept her mane off her face with a hoof, resting it to feel her temperature.

She was becoming flushed and stirred slightly, clearly indicating her need to cool down. I rattled my head trying to stop looking and start actually helping my victim. Unnecessarily, my chest gave a pang when she furrowed her brow because I’d got up.

I coughed awkwardly, realising my hoof was still stroking the mare’s mane. “I-I'll get you some water,” I announced, fleeing to the kitchen. Obviously she didn’t hear me, but I was too lost in pointless thought to care.

Oh crumbs! What would she say when she woke up? What would she do? If it was anything less than a beating parallel to her own I’d have gotten off scot free.

Releasing as much fresh air into the room by opening every window, I settled a glass of water on the nearby table. The orange mare was unmoving again, but recovering slowly. Chances were she’d wake up any moment and let loose a river of anger and explicit language. Cowering at the prediction, I headed for the front door; I really didn’t want to be the first thing she laid eyes on.

“I’ll just … go get your wagon from the road.” A slab of drool slithered down her cheek. “Why do I bother?”

It was the least I could do, collect her cart full of apples. Unlikely there would be a sudden crime wave, and somepony take off with it, but it would put my mind at ease. I’m sure leaving her was a bad idea; however I needed to calm down.

I launched myself against the monstrous harness, creeping the cart forward painfully slow. How many apples did a pony need? I was going nowhere, as my hooves scrambled against the grass, sliding with the friction. The wagon bounced alarmingly, as we passed from stone pathway to lawn.

It must have taken around fifteen minutes before I finally got the wagon round the back of the house, parking it next to my father's. Great, I was all sweaty and dirty again. I trotted into the house before anypony dare see me in this ghastly state. The titles clacked against my hooves when I dived into the bathroom to adjust my unperfected mane.

This was the worst day ever. I’d almost killed somepony, and to top it off my mane was messy. Why me?

I’d only just taken a swig of some water by the kitchen sink when I realised a disturbance in the living room. Barely out the door frame, the mare’s face clouded my vision, pushing me back to a state of unrest. My eyes widened in concern, when she stomped towards me, her mouth snarling. Clearly, she didn’t take too kindly to her beating.

“What did ya do!” she snapped, ushering me back, my flank tapping the worktop. Her stare was harsh and piecing, as if looking through me. I cowered, searching for something to use as a shield when the mare would start battering me black and blue. The most effective thing I could manage was a toaster.

I was doomed.

She obviously saw straight through my effort to stay collected. My brain whirred, straining to find a response, while I pushed the sunglasses into my mane.

“I-I … well … let’s not get mad shall we.” My lip quivered when she jabbed at my chest. I begged she wouldn’t be too harsh on my face when she would finally decide to pulverise me.

“Mad? Ya’ll are not gonna know what hit cha’ if ya don’t find it!” She stomped a hoof, inching closer.

Clenching my eyes shut, I prepared for the mare to strike. Wait, “find it”? What was she talking about? I hope she wasn’t just taunting me.

Fluttering my eyelashes, I gawked rather quizzical. “Find w-what?”

As she paced back and forth, I thought she could breathe fire she was so livid. Her nostrils flared and snorted when she spoke.

“My hat! My hat, ya useless foal!” She stormed into the living room huffing. “Ugh, I’ll find it my buckin’ self!”

I do admit her ignorance, and rather crude turn of phrase, were cutting at my emotions. But, I owed it to her not to engage in a spiteful comment or two back, I did just render her unconscious after all.

Following her thunderous clomps and clatters, as she proceeded to scavenge through my “organised chaos”, I stood in the doorway, eyebrow raised in frustration.

“Excuse me, darling,” I announced over her boisterous clanking.

“WHAT?” The earth pony’s attention now fully on me, her stare was so firm I might burst into flame.

“I’m sorry to interrupt, but –” I coughed sternly, nodding at the coat rack holding the tatty, brown Stetson.

“Oh.”

Her features transformed into a gracious smile, as she hurried over, before plastering the thing firm on her head. She tipped the brim, shifting her gaze to me.

“I …” she began, still confused by the situation. I was no different, cringing at the agonizing silence between us.

“I’m sorry!” we both blurted, only confused at the other’s parallel concern. The awkward laughing was worse than the silence. Hopefully, she’d speak first and rid me of my undeniable embarrassment. At least she wasn’t mad anymore.

“I’m a might sorry, ma’am” – Timidly she walked to me –“I didn’t mean t’ holler at ya, it’s jus’ I wouldn’t know what t’ do if I’d gone and lost this baby.” She eyed the old hat, huffing deeply.

“Uhh …” I chuckled nervously, trying to find a logical explanation why this was the only reason she’d sort to be angry. “It’s quite alright, but you should know a coat rack is usually where one would find their hat. Y-you must really love that thing.”

Laughing, she walked over to look at a pile of boxes. I tapped my head in complete bewilderment. Had I knocked the sense out of her? Was she not aware I’d pummelled her poor head?

“Sure do. It my par’s,” she explained. I just nodded. It was rather familiar to me, well, for a Stetson.

“Miss, although you seem perfectly fine, I must insist you sit down. You may have suffered a minor concussion or something to that affect, and … dear Celestia, it was me who did it!” Wailing, I crossed over to her. “Please forgive me … it-it was an accident. I s-swear! You were ju-just there, and before I knew it …”

“Hold yer horses, Missy. Ya ain’t got no reason t’ fret. I’m jus’ peachy,” she consoled, resting a hoof on my shoulder. “Ya gotta powerful swing there, jus’ my mistake fer walkin’ into it.”

“B-but!”

“Trust me, I’m fine.” Her smile was reassurance enough that she was being honest, she was fine. I was all to relieved that she had been. I wouldn’t be able to sleep knowing I’d hurt somepony, having never hit anypony in my life, except for today.

“At least let me get you an ice pack for that bump,” I insisted, fetching one out of the freezer. “What in Equestria were you doing behind me anyway, if you don’t mind me asking?”

Levitating the pack over, she placed it to her head, wincing when the ice connected, creating a bitter sting. She gave a weary “thank you” and gingerly rested on the sofa.

“Well, I was jus’ passin’ by on a delivery, and I saw all those boxes out front. This house has been abandoned for an awful long time, so I reckon somepony had finally moved in. Then, I saw ya’ll strugglin’ with that ol’ plank and thought I’d lead a hoof, and … well ya know the rest,” she explained pressing the ice into her skull.

She kept on staring at me intently, as if concocting some analysis. I assumed she was just trying to adjust her head after blacking out, however it was very agitating. Or, she just really liked to look at me. I knew a lot of ponies did, but stallions! Not, well … I plugged my horn, discarding the stupid thought.

“Hey, speakin’ of delivery, my wagon of apples okay? I’d jus’ left em’ by the road,” she asked slightly alarmed when I sat down beside her.

“Oh yes, I pulled them around to the garden. They were incredibly heavy mind you; I must wonder why one would be in need of so many apples. However, I saw your cutie mark I made the connection. Still, you must really love them. What is your name? Applesauce?”

I thought my joke quite amusing, until she leapt up with a sudden burst of energy. It wasn’t that bad was it?

“I knew it! –” She waved her hooves towards me “—I could swear I knew ya from someplace.”

I stared, very confused. “Huh, where?” I’d never seen this mare in my life!

“Canterlot, last New Year’s Eve! I had t’ carry your sorry flank around town cos’ ya were blind drunk! Gosh, I remember now. Ya’ll came into my uncle’s bar and got so unbelievably –”

“No, no. I think you have me mistaken for somepony else.” The nerve of this mare, to think I would ever get “blind drunk”.

“No, I ain’t. Ya’ll were a Canterlot University student, right? ”

Okay, that was just a lucky guess. “W-well yes, but I would not –”

“Ya kept on callin’ me Applesauce and fallin’ in the snow. Gee, ya were a pain.” She was in awe as if reminiscing about the old times. I begged her to reveal how I fit into this equation.

“That’s preposterous! I would never do such a thing,” I huffed, legs folded, slumping into the couch with a pop.

“Yeah-hah, how can cha’ not remember?”

“Nuh-uh, I don’t recall it, because I wasn’t there!” I moaned, not backing down. Who did she think she was? She didn’t even know me!

She stomped a hoof. “Yeah-hah, ya were too!”

“Nuh-uh, it is not true,” I declared, making the mare grit her teeth in annoyance.

“Ya callin’ me a liar! Ya’ll were there!”

“Perhaps,” I purred, stepping up to her. She was a smidge taller, but I tried my hardest to overpower her stance. “And, Nuh-uh I wasn’t!”

“Yeah-hah!”

“Nuh-uh!”

“Yeah-HAH!”

Oh, Celestia this fight was ridiculous. Similar to that of a young colt and his imaginary friend – pointless. On the one hoof, I was considerably happy to have met somepony on my first day back. However, on the other, I didn’t realise I would have met my match for being as stubborn as a mule. And believe me, I was good at it. Not that I meant to be, that’s just who I am I suppose.

“Nuh-UH!” I leant forward, emphasizing my words.

“Ugh, ya broke up with your coltfriend!” she snapped, waving the ice pack at me.

“Nuh … uh,” I whispered. How did she know that? Heavens, I couldn’t even remember his name. Granite maybe? The combination of trying to place this mare and some rotten stallion was too much.

She moaned at my defiance. “YA GREY!”

That certainly got my attention. My eyes widened at the mare’s outburst, shuffling me backward in astonishment.

“H-hey! How dare you –” My mind jumped like finding the correct piece of the puzzle.

Oh, no.

No wonder I couldn’t remember that night, because I’d chosen not to. The memory was hazy and clouded by the all too familiar musk of vodka. That’s why that hat was memorable. The morning after, I’d dreamed about it, except it was floating, the wearer was just a blur. And here I thought one of my “friends” had walked me home. I scowled at the thought of those selfish brutes.

After some inaudible babble, I found my words. “Oh … OH! –” I slapped at my cheeks, hiding my shame “— Oh for the love of Celestia! I remember.”

I flopped back into the couch, covering my eyes. The mare stayed silent for a moment, but then proceeded to laugh. At first, I wanted to whack her with another plank of wood, but her chuckle was contagious. Instead, I just joined her.

“Woo wee, ya’ll are a strange one all give ya that. Don’t worry none, I won’t tell no-pony.”

I breathed a sigh of relief. At least she had the common courtesy not to spout my horrendous feats. That I could respect. This mare was okay, a little stubborn, but … okay.

“How humiliating! I am terribly sorry for my behaviour and for doubting you, but as you can presume, I couldn’t recall much because of being … “under the influence”.” I straightened my posture, scraping back my last remaining shreds of dignity.

“It’s alright, ma’am. I forgive ya. It happens t’ the best of us.” She handed me back the ice with a smirk, her swelling had gone down. I was pleased she was felling well again.

“Oh please,” I urged, waving a hoof. “Call me Rarity.”

She shook my foreleg with such force, I wobbled uncontrollably. “Howdy Miss Rarity, I’m Applejack. A pleasure t’ meet cha’,” she announced, beaming at me.

“Err, the pleasures all mine,” I informed, my leg still shaking wildly. “So … would you like some help with your wagon?”

She smirked, adjusting her hat. “Well, I was gonna ask ya’ll if ya needed a hoof with unpackin’? I ain’t got no place pressin’ t’ be.”

I lit up at the prospect of her staying. I’m not exactly sure why, perhaps it was just because I’d have some company. However, I was feeling much better now, and not guilty for nearly breaking her brain.

“Okay then, since you’re offering, that is most kind of you.” I scanned around for a fitting task my new friend could do. Yes, friend. “Hmm, there. Judging by that wagon, you’re a strong mare. C-could you take those boxes of books upstairs, Applejack?”

I hated asking favours of somepony I hardly knew, but she did offer. Now I could get moved in much faster.

“Sure thing,” she chimed, in her strange, but sweet accent. Which I must admit, I rather liked.

She crossed over to the mountain of cardboard; picking a box which I’d inscribed “books” on the side of. Blowing away a layer of dust, she cracked open a flap to peek in. I’d only just picked up my duster, when the earth pony gave a loud, filly-like shriek, scrambling away.

“What? What is it?” I gulped, trotting over. She looked at me then the box with concern. I’d packed this myself, what could possibly be in there? I’d only moved a step forward, before the box produced a high-pitched hiss and rustling.

Our hearts lurched when the creature sprang out onto the floor in front of us. Applejack stared at me for an explanation, but I just groaned in irritation.

“Oh my stars,” I murmured, inching closer. “It’s you again.”

The cat hissed, swiping at the box. “Heavens t’ Betsy, ya’ll almost gave me a heart attack,” Applejack grunted, creeping to get a better look at my new guest.

“I’m sorry about that. This is a … my cat –” I shuffled away then it gawked at me “— well, technically it is mine. It was here when I moved in, hiding in an old cupboard.”

Applejack was less cautious than I, reaching out a hoof to stroke the feline.

“Come on little feller,” she reassured the animal, dipping down to its level.

“I wouldn’t do that if–”

“Don’t ya worry, he’s jus’ got the willies, ain’t cha’ –” The cat lashed out at the orange mares hoof, leaving three small scratches. “—OW! Hey, ya little vermin!” she spat, falling back next to me.

“It’s not very … fond of me,” I began, helping her up. “Or anypony for that matter.”

The beast gave a final, powerful hiss, before turning to lick its unmentionables.

“Charmin’,” Applejack huffed, rubbing her bleeding hoof. I lent her the ice pack once more. She was getting a right beating today.

“I’m unsure of what to do. It’s not in my nature to cast the poor thing off just to starve, but at the same time she’s rather ungrateful of my hospitality!” I threatened, swishing my tail towards the swine.

Applejack’s feelings were mutual, as she grumbled in approval, tending to her wound. “I hear ya.”

“She won’t accept any food I try to give her, and anytime I go near she just takes a swipe at me,” I moaned worryingly. Despite her unpleasant attitude, I thought with a little guidance, she could be quite the pleasant pet. I had always wanted one.

“I got it!” Applejack blurted, surprising me. “I know jus’ the pony t’ help ya.”

“Oh?” I trotted over, when she grabbed a pencil from the table.

“A couple o’ months ago, a nice Pegasus mare from Cloudsdale moved t’ Ponyville. She knows a heap o’ stuff bout’ critters,” she explained, starting to write something on the pad I’d given her.

I peeped over her shoulder at the map she’d drew in sloppy mouth writing. “Do you think she could help me?”

“Definitely, she took good care of my dog Winona when she had a bad paw. Fixed her right up.” She beamed, handing me the map. “She lives in a cottage on the edge o’ town. She’s gotta a little animal day-care thing going on.”

“How sweet,” I commented, following the earth pony’s map. Home near the Everfree Forest, this mare must be brave.

“Hey, on second thought, why don’t I …” She shifted on the spot.

“Hmm?”

“T-take ya there. It’s not far and she knows me, plus ya’ll might need a hoof with … err … ya cat,” she suggested, with a wavering smile.

I glanced back, confused by her anxiousness. What was she worried about, that I would refuse?

“That would be wonderful,” I beamed, nodding as I did so.

“U-ugh, great! –” She trotted towards the door “—Ya know I think I have my rope in the wagon, that might hold that crazy critter still.”

I giggled, following her. A warm feeling arose inside me, it was bizarre, but at the same time brilliant. I had a new, genuine friend, which liked me for me. Not like those posers in Canterlot. When Applejack smiled at me, I blushed alarmingly. I guess it was because I was thinking off her as my new companion at that exact moment, as well as catching me off guard.

“S-so,” I asked. “What is this delightful Pegasus’name?”

We walked out into the blistering heat once more, Applejack leading the way. As we passed by, I marvelled at my new home. Earlier I’d thought of it as a disaster, but now I thought of it as opportunity. Goodness knows why, I presumed it was something to do with today’s mad turn of events. All I knew was – I was home.

“Oh,” she chirped. “It’s Fluttershy.”

Author's Note:

I have returned!

Honestly, this chapter was only suppose to be around 2,500 words. So ... I might have gotten carried away.

I'm sure you don't mind.

I guess the story has to get better from here on in? Yeah!

I don't think I can make it through a chapter without including a movie reference!

So next chapter, did you know there's six mane characters? I think it's about time we heard from them. Plus, romance will ensue.

~Pie